Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1746 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Tweet
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2018, 01:02 Mordecai Walfish

Systems online; marketing machine activated  

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Gaming Patents
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 9, 2018, 18:06 Mordecai Walfish

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 13:42:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 11:56:
Remember the quest/NPC/monster scaling difficulty in Oblivion? I sure as fuck do. It was the dumbest design decision in gaming history and made the fucking game a boring chore.

Also, highway robbers in glass/daedric armor. Yeah. Fuck that.

You do realize a lot of games still use level scaling, right? And there are pro's and con's to each method of scaling or not?

As for this, yeah they are patenting things that shouldn't be able to be, cause they are basic game design decisions.

That type of level scaling, when used in RPG's, is just a lazy way of balancing your game, instead of making a fully fledged RPG experience with the true risk and reward of david vs. goliath moments that you could (but probably shouldn't) take on earlier than the game expects you to. The feeling of scouting the countryside in a game like Morrowind and blowing all your good potions and scrolls in order to tackle a dungeon of a much higher level than you are, and coming out with awesome loot, is a very fun part of the RPG experience to me. In more recent Elder Scrolls games, there is rarely a challenge to any of the dungeons because they are all leveled to your character. It's more accessible for console folks, and thats exactly what we've gotten since Oblivion.. over-consolized systems that aim to appease the lowest common denominator: people that might not play if they are frustrated with obstacles they cannot immediately tackle. It's worked for them in getting TES games into the uber-mainstream, but the RPG fundamentals have been very limited by this move. Fallout sadly became a victim of this as well. It takes mods to turn these "RPG's" into proper RPG's now.

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Subnautica This Month
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 9, 2018, 17:55 Mordecai Walfish

After playing this quite a bit a couple years ago, I promised myself not to get into it again until it was finished, so I could experience it fresh again. It's such a good game, and by the creators of Natural Selection/2, if anyone here has played or still plays that (I still get a round or two in weekly). I've only played the start of Subnautica since my first playthrough, on hardcore (permadeath) mode to test that portion of the game, as it is all I will probably play after going through the whole thing once, and not many people were playing/testing that mode.

Excellent news that this is having a full release soon! It's such an atmospheric and immersive game. One of my favorite experiences in gaming over the past 2 years.

†††††††††

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2018, 00:08 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 14:07:
Anyone have recommendations for sub-$100 gaming headphones? Thinking about replacing my Razer Kraken 7.1's; the mic button doesn't work anymore, the material that covers the padding has deteriorated, and the software/drivers like to randomly break.

Noise cancellation isn't a big deal, and my onboard sound is decent (Realtek ALC1150), so 3.5mm connectors are viable.

I've been looking at the Steelseries Arctis 5/3s. Along with being great for gaming they're supposedly pretty good with music as well (once you adjust the EQ). One thing I'm curious about though is if you're connecting through 3.5mm is it still using the headset's sound-card? From what I understand, through a convoluted process, you can still configure the headphones if you're using the 3.5mm jack. This makes me think it's still using the headphones' sound card.

Anyways other recommendations are welcome. My current headphones more or less work fine, I'm just annoyed with them for the above stated reasons.

Best gaming headphones, are whatever music headphones you prefer most/within your budget along with a modmic or similar attachable mic. If you buy the headphones with the integrated mic then you will just be left with either the headphone or the mic part breaking and having to replace the whole thing, vs the modular approach where you can just replace whichever part breaks. Been using a modmic with a pair of Ultrasone pro-750's for 5 years now.

†††††††††

News Comments > Mad Catz is Back
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2018, 21:53 Mordecai Walfish

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 19:59:
Mad Catz - Provider of the Player 2 controller with the sticky buttons, rubbed off finish, and loose analog sticks.

I wouldn't even feel good about handing one of their peripherals to someone gaming at my house, besides the TE2 sticks they made for Street Fighter. A couple of those ones were actually decent, but that really wasn't a hard product to get right, as all they had to do was order already proven-good parts from japan that everyone else was using, and throw them together in a functional box, which is actually quite an impressive feat by Madcatz standards, now that I think about it..

†††††††††

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
29. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 13:30 Mordecai Walfish

Tracking people's online usage to be able to ban a person from the internet effectively opens up a whole new can of 1984 worms. If you think that is a good idea I would assume that you simply have not thought of the broader consequences of such a system.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2017, 01:07 Mordecai Walfish

To protect myself and serve up death to the lowest bidder. Another day another police murder. Will have to wait to hear all the facts but it seems pretty damning.

Folks are gonna need to start making homemade rocket launchers to neutralize these over-militarized armored killers before they even make it to the door soon. How would that pan out in a state with "stand your ground" laws? Simply "feeling threatened" has to be taken into account with those laws, and there are certainly many reasons to "feel threatened" when dealing with the police anymore. Who am I kidding, none would even be held accountable nor have any judgement from a court come down against them or their gang.

†††††††††

38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 22, 2017, 00:10 Mordecai Walfish

It wasn't but the fields were auto-filling anyways, Maybe that was it?

EDIT: Yep, that was it. Thanks.

†††††††††

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 21, 2017, 23:46 Mordecai Walfish

Hey I got a small little niggle with the site since switching back to Firefox recently, which I'm hoping someone can shed some light on here.

I'm not getting the little red * next to new comments when viewing threads/forums here anymore, makes it kind of hard to keep up with recent postings in Star Citizen shit-talking threads, amongst other things.

Works fine in Chrome, but I've given that up for Firefox again, as I'm loving the new build and being able return to my tree style tabs and smooth scrolling pages.

Anyone?

†††††††††

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 21, 2017, 17:51 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 20:53:
Personally I'd like to see Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho toss his hat in the ring in 2020.

We're getting eerily close to that reality

"Kevin Hart is going to be my court jester," he says. "Iím bringing that back."

†††††††††

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 21, 2017, 16:47 Mordecai Walfish

The Fractal R6 has some good changes, namely:

-No longer having the SSD/2.5in mounts directly behind the CPU
-No longer necessary to use drive cages for HDDs, for better airflow
-Ability to move the mounting of the GPU to the bottom of the case with the supplied adapter

†††††††††

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2017, 22:18 Mordecai Walfish

"Such is the level of optimization that you can now play PUBG at over 60 FPS, with High settings, at 1920x1080, on an affordable GeForce GTX 1060"

That's a pretty big leap in performance if it actually can maintain 60fps on a 1060 now.

†††††††††

News Comments > Destiny 2 is Activision's "Biggest PC Launch"
29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2017, 22:04 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 17:55:

whole lotta awesome..

Comparing this year to '87, I'd say the winner is '87. I'd take Reagan over Trump any day, and there are many more memorable movies on that list than anything that's come out this year. The series on Netflix and HBO are better than most of the stuff that is coming out in movie theatres nowadays.

†††††††††

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2017, 21:45 Mordecai Walfish

In a game with such great graphic quality as Witcher 3, I would probably be alright with 30fps 4k on console, being that it isnt something that really "needs" 60fps, like a shooter or a racing game. I'd imagine that would look pretty amazing on a huge 4k TV, and I'm really glad that consoles are finally realizing that having the ability to play at 60 fps is something people prefer as well as higher resolutions, as well at the capability to hit those higher resolutions more reliably. The X seems like a way of them saying "we get it now", compared to the shitty original xbox one hardware and it's original intent to be some kind of all-encompassing media device instead of just a balls-to-the-wall gaming machine first and foremost.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2017, 18:45 Mordecai Walfish

MajorD wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 11:42:
That's pretty funny. What are the chances of them crossing paths?

I would think the chances are much greater than you or I seeing either vehicle, simply based on how much time they both spend on the roads

†††††††††

News Comments > Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2017, 17:54 Mordecai Walfish

I would blow many loads if they threw their weight into the gta-type genre with the interstate76 IP and some solid single-player to go along with the inevitable multiplayer portion.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2017, 00:01 Mordecai Walfish

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 23:12:
FYI, this is one of those giveaways with a deadline to redeem your key (two weeks here). It doesn't happen often, but I missed out on one of the games they were giving out a few months back because I claimed it to my Humble account but didn't follow through with redeeming on Steam for a while... Came back to see that it'd expired and the key was erased.

Not sure why that kind of stipulation is made when they cut deals like this. Is it not enough of a limitation to only give out keys for 48 hours, you have to make unused ones expire after a while, too? Afraid they'll run out, maybe?

It is a counter-measure for online games key sellers/sites.

†††††††††

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 18, 2017, 01:48 Mordecai Walfish

rawbelly wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 17:13:
FF Quantum is my browser of choice as well.

I switched back from Chrome recently too. Loving it so far.

For users of the Tree Style Tabs add-on, add the following bit of code to the "%AppData%\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile name>\chrome\userChrome.css" file (create the file and the chrome directory if they are not there) to hide the redundant tabs at the top, and hide the "tree style tabs" header on the left side of the screen, in order to clean things up a bit:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#TabsToolbar {
visibility: collapse !important;
}
#sidebar-header { display: none; }

†††††††††

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2017, 18:28 Mordecai Walfish

If you get the double-action revolver in GTA Online, and complete the headshot challenge with it, it will unlock the same gun in Red Dead Redemption 2 when it releases.

Interesting cross-universe tie-in there, and I figured it was RDR related simply from the font they used in the linked Rockstar page, before reading any of the specifics.

†††††††††

News Comments > Quake Champions Gets Keel This Week
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 12, 2017, 01:58 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 22:26:
https://steamdb.info/app/611500/graphs/ and it's dead.

Many people who are playing QC don't go through Steam, so those numbers are not at all a good representation of the playerbase. Probably only a couple thousand playing regularly, but no way to know without having stats from how many are going directly through the Bethesda launcher as well.

†††††††††

1746 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo