Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1182 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 21:21 Mordecai Walfish

I went through this exact thought process when building my new pc (tax return ftw!).

There have been some solid recommendations in this thread. I spent about a month researching everything I could to make a reasonably silent computer without breaking the bank and ended up with a ridiculously quiet build.

For a case, the fractal R5 was a no-brainer. Great price and the sound dampening material works *really* well. For maximum silence go with the windowless version (which is also cheaper). The fan speed control right on the front is really nice unless you would prefer to control them by software like from a smartphone.

I picked up an evga supernova 750G2 power supply that has a silent mode that does not run the fan unless it's over a certain temp, but even when the fan is on, it's almost silent as well. The larger lower-rpm fan they use strikes a great balance between silence and performance.

For a video card I went with a Msi 980ti Gaming 6G. Msi's excellent cooler on this card (and many others) is just like the power supply. The fan stays completely off until it gets over a certain temp (during gaming only, basically), and even when it turns on is not loud at all.

I picked up an I7 4790k for future-proofing in gaming. As others have stated, there are significant performance gains in some newer titles that completely warrants the extra cost. For example, in the Witcher 3, an i7 performs much better at times. Example: https://youtu.be/Rutk9ErhKG4
That being said, there's not really any reason to upgrade to anything past that if it's more expensive. The performance gains from any processor past the 4790 are very tiny in gaming. Save the extra money and put it towards something more beneficial, like a better/bigger ssd or gpu.

For a cpu cooler I picked up a noctua dh-15, which is pretty much dead silent and outperforms many aio water cooling solutions. It's a bit pricey but has plenty of overhead room for overclocking on the k-series i7 if I ever decide to go down that road in the future. (no real need to now, at stock it perfectly runs anything you can throw at it currently)

For ram, again some good advice in this thread: Absolutely no need to splurge on the newest ram with the highest speed and lowest Cas ratings. Anything ddr3-1600 and higher will run games essentially the same. If you're not doing intensive video editing or encoding or similar tasks, that money is better spend elsewhere. Again, I'd recommend putting it towards a better ssd or gpu. I found a good deal on 16gb of ddr3-2133 ram (kingston Savage). I'd recommend going for a kit with 2 sticks of ram instead of 4, for both upgradability and performance reasons.

And last part of this quiet build is my first Ssd, a sandisk extreme pro 960gb. These have a 10yr warranty and are not terribly priced (I got mine for ~$300). Dramatic speed difference coming from 5400/7200 rpm WD hdd's to an ssd like this. The long term tests on these sandisk extreme pros are what made me pick them, and the awesome warranty.

Still using Windows 7 for compatibility reasons with my archive of software and input devices. If anything, I may dual-core windows 10 into the mix in the future. Oh yeah, and the mobo I picked is also by MSI. MSI has been on fire lately with their designs and performance.

All-in-all I am extremely happy with the level of silence this build has. It's night and day coming from my old amd rig.

Good luck with the new build!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Open Beta Overtime
28. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Overtime May 9, 2016, 18:27 Mordecai Walfish

Been having alot of fun over the weekend with overwatch. Really glad they extended the open beta so I can play for a bit tonight too. This went from interesting to a sure-buy after a couple hours of playing.

News Comments > Overwatch Open Beta Early Access
11. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Early Access May 3, 2016, 22:05 Mordecai Walfish

{PH}88fingers wrote on May 3, 2016, 19:38:
looking to upgrade monitor, been at 60hz for far too long
looking at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236717

anyone know if Overwatch supports widescreen?

G-Sync, 100hz and IPS. Damn that's a mighty fine looking monitor. Over 100hz wouldn't make much sense with that resolution either because you are unlikely to go over 100fps in anything besides minesweeper

I could only imagine that overwatch will have support for these screen sizes with how commonly available they are now, not sure though.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Opens
29. Re: DOOM Open Beta Opens Apr 15, 2016, 21:14 Mordecai Walfish

at this point probably the only saving grace is that the single player is being made by an entirely different team than the multiplayer.

Also, the SLI support was supposed to be fixed with a "hotfix" that nvidia released yesterday. Though with how the graphics in this beta are about on par with xbox 360, i dont know how many people will actually benefit from that.

News Comments > Out of Ammo Early Access
2. Re: Out of Ammo Early Access Apr 15, 2016, 21:08 Mordecai Walfish

This continues the trend of early access developers who made a shit-ton of money and then never actually finished the game, then deciding to use their new capital to start new projects instead of finishing what they started.

Rust is another example of this, although garry did profit handsomely from garry's mod, but nowhere near as much as he did with Rust. Now he's making a VR game, shmups, and just put out a recent update saying that their development team would regularly be taking a week every month towards working on new projects instead of finishing Rust.

Early access blues.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: The brain on LSD revealed Apr 15, 2016, 19:46 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 13:11:
BobBob wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 12:39:
Took it when I was a teenager. It is like living a combination of a dream and nightmare. There aspects to the mind that are generally controlled, compartmentalized and subdued that the drugs releases in a form of chaos. I don't recommend anyone do it. It's basically inducing a form of insanity. But, I must say it made me pity and empathize with schizophrenics. Living like that way with no hope or way out must be tormenting. I imagine that's what the majority of homeless people experience due to mental illness.

Funny, I recommend most everyone try it at least once. There's no other drug - except maybe mescaline/peyote and shrooms to a much lesser extent - that I'm aware of that can alter your consciousness and your perceptions of reality the way it does.

"Our results suggest that this effect underlies the profound altered state of consciousness that people often describe during an LSD experience. It is also related to what people sometimes call 'ego-dissolution', which means the normal sense of self is broken down and replaced by a sense of reconnection with themselves, others and the natural world. This experience is sometimes framed in a religious or spiritual way - and seems to be associated with improvements in well-being after the drug's effects have subsided."

That's a very apt assessment. I recall on on trip once a few of us went out for a walk after a rainstorm when I friend of mine noticed a bunch of earthworms in a patch of soil. We all just sat there for a time watching them in this fresh, wet, black soil. And then you look around at the grass and trees, feel the wind, smell the moisture and fresh earth in the air, and it was beautiful. All of a sudden you're aware of how you're connected to this giant great ecosystem in a very profound way you've never really paid attention to before. It was a very powerful experience. A lot more people need their consciousness altered like that even just once. Read Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception some time.

The best trip was at my first Grateful Dead show in Eugene. 50K+ people in a stadium all in a riot of colored tie-dyes, all as high as you, everyone super-positive, friendly, loving, that was an amazing experience still unparalleled by anything else.

In a world that's becoming more and more partisan and hurting eachother constantly over secular, dogmatic beliefs, I think it's more important than ever that people widen their perspective to see more than they've conditioned themselves to throughout their lifetime. I'll never forget the gateways and connections I've been through and made while in that state of mind, and there is nothing that comes close to the feeling you have when something just makes sense to you in a way you could never understand, perhaps because your perspective of it has widened to allow more variables into the equation.

As with anything though, moderation is key. Environment, state of mind going into it, and amount taken (this is *especially* tricky with mushrooms) are the keys to avoiding having a bad experience, IMO.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX on PC
26. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 15, 2016, 14:45 Mordecai Walfish

The card games in both 8 and 9 are pretty fun. I always enjoyed taking an hour or two just to run around and challenge folks randomly.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2016, 15:08.

23. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 19:19 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 18:01:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 14:37:
extra 20% off on GMG with code APR20

IX is a good game. I've been looking forward to playing through 12 also, as many people have told me that one is really good also. Runs flawlessly on PCSX2 also, so will probably give that one a shot sometime soon.

12 is fine if you like MMO gameplay. Ie, farm creatures for drops. Because you will do a metric fuckload of that in 12. It makes DA:I look like Witcher 3 in comparison...

Farming creatures for drops has always been a part of FF. From searching for the elusive pink puffs/pink tail in that one tiny room on the moon in FF2/4 to trying to steal rare items that random creatures have in battle. I'd much rather be farming creatures for drops than using the "draw" command over and over again for hours on end to save up magic like in FF8. That said.. the only MMO I ever really got into was Ultima Online, which I played since the alpha back when they had to ship you disks in the mail to partake in things like that.. so I'm not much into the whole MMO thing.

None of that stuff was ever required though.. are you saying it's an integral part of FF12 that you have to do, and that's why it's more annoying/mmo-like?

18. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 14:37 Mordecai Walfish

extra 20% off on GMG with code APR20

IX is a good game. I've been looking forward to playing through 12 also, as many people have told me that one is really good also. Runs flawlessly on PCSX2 also, so will probably give that one a shot sometime soon.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 11, 2016, 19:58 Mordecai Walfish

Quboid wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 15:08:
I wouldn't assume the Rust community is any worse than others.

Aah.. sounds like you haven't played it then. It's up there with the MOBA community in vitriol levels. Seriously.

News Comments > Blizzard Stops Private WoW Server
9. Re: Blizzard Stops Private WoW Server Apr 7, 2016, 20:30 Mordecai Walfish

Apparently a large number of the 150k players they have on that server are doing a group suicide march across the land together:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205632

News Comments > DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours Gets SEGA DLC
1. Re: DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours Gets SEGA DLC Apr 7, 2016, 14:27 Mordecai Walfish

I don't know how I missed this releasing a half year ago, Darius is one of my favorite SHMUP series, and DariusBurst on the PSP was one of the best titles from the series.  

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans
4. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 6, 2016, 19:10 Mordecai Walfish

This quickly went from "wow the beta sucked balls but I'd still be willing to give it a try when its released", to "not touching this with a 10ft pole".

That DLC has a very "Evolve" feel to it, with the access to a new demon, weapons and maps that others won't be able to use and that will only serve to fragment the playerbase.

I really hate this shit.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - MS on Halo 5 Skipping PCs
23. Re: Quoteworthy - MS on Halo 5 Skipping PCs Mar 31, 2016, 21:13 Mordecai Walfish

Reach was the last halo I played, with some friends in co-op on the campaign. It was great, and I wouldn't at all mind having that experience playable on a PC, with solid internet co-op as well.

Halo was very hit-or-miss (especially with the later ones).. but there are definitely some good games in the series.

News Comments > New Space Sim HOTAS
18. Re: New Space Sim HOTAS Mar 31, 2016, 17:43 Mordecai Walfish

bigspender wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 16:58:
There are a lot of new joystick start ups on the horizon so I'd be waiting for those personally.

Link(s)?

News Comments > New Space Sim HOTAS
13. Re: New Space Sim HOTAS Mar 31, 2016, 16:14 Mordecai Walfish

They list 6DOF and controls that you can recognize by feel instead of having to look at them, features that seem catered to both VR and Star Citizen. They even list star citizen twice in the supported games list, along with elite: dangerous.

Nice of them to finally join the 21st century with hall effect sensors.. that alone is a massive move in the right direction, even though it's still mad catz/saitek making this, and it's sure to break down somewhere else as a result.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2016, 19:37 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 18:18:
One week after I buy a PS4, Sony lets rumors shine through of a PS4.5.

Goddammit.

You're lucky then! Still within the return period for most places if it matters that much to you. Most owners do not have that option.

News Comments > Street Fighter V Cash Shop Delayed
2. Re: Street Fighter V Cash Shop Delayed Mar 24, 2016, 19:10 Mordecai Walfish

Good ol' Capcom. Released a half-finished game but when it comes to the in-game cash-store "wanted to be extra careful" and make sure it's ready before launch. Now letting all players have the new characters until the store is finished just so they can yank the new characters back at that time.

Given all the crap capcom has pulled with SFV, I wish I didn't want this game, but I do. Hahaha_no

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2016, 13:40 Mordecai Walfish

It's a smart move by Sony.

Think about it this way.. there's no way they would fragment their playerbase with a better performing (for games) model of the PS4.. but adding the ability to play 4K Blu-Rays and stream 4k content to devices and include higher bandwidth ports and options for doing so, will create a higher-end SKU that their more financially endowed customers will buy up quickly, and that someone with a failing PS4 may consider going with instead of getting a base model instead.

I highly doubt this will mean gaming in higher resolutions or better framerates than the current model, as this would only piss off the existing userbase, so just catering to the 4K standard thats becoming more widely adopted for a format they essentially created (blu-ray) while adding more options for that content to be delivered seems to be a no-brainer.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 14:31 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 13:09:
$800 for a 43 inch 4K IPS monitor? That's a good price, even if it is only 60 hz.

"799 Euros"

Bit of a difference there.

1182 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo