Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1671 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION Announced
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2017, 18:33 Mordecai Walfish

Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 17:57:
I can't remember a time where Square-Enix released a FF game so quickly on PC.

This does seem to be the quickest they've released a FF game on PC, which is a very nice change.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hurl VR Next Month
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2017, 08:10 Mordecai Walfish

Hurl would be a good name for a VR rollercoaster simulator.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2017, 16:48 Mordecai Walfish

It's marketing. No way they could do this.

Sony leads on their install base worldwide for the PS4 by more than a 2:1 ratio to the xbox one.

Multiplayer games therefore have much fuller playerbases on PS4 which is usually a more desirable scenario for most people. The xbox1 would essentially be piggybacking off Sony's player numbers and making their online/multiplayer ecosystem seem more vibrant as a result of this. Sony knows this, and they're not going to just give that free boost to MS. It sucks for the gamers who want games to have a full playerbase for as long as possible in multiplayer games, which will inevitably happen on the console that sells the best. It's a smart business decision for them to restrict this unfortunately, so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Trailer
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 19, 2017, 18:47 Mordecai Walfish

theglaze wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:27:
Either way, we're lucky to have such a rich offering of quality racing titles.

Agreed. Many excellent options out there.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Trailer
4. Re: Project CARS 2 Trailer Aug 19, 2017, 13:33 Mordecai Walfish

Looks good, but I'm always wary in driving games until I actually try them and see how the handling feels across the different available vehicles. The crew was a massive let down in this department, but with the scope of the game I can see some concessions being made. A circuit/track game like this needs to be much more focused on handling and vehicle physics. Hopefully they got it right.  

News Comments > Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Announced
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2017, 17:39 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 16:47:
Watched a bit of this anime with my daughter. It's your typical angsty Japanese teen drama, but set in an online RPG which no one can leave or they die IRL. Most games based on such properties are designed to appeal to said audience, and I would expect this will be no different.

I was unfortunate enough to see a portion of sword art online also. Although there are a couple good action sequences, I found that the plot was very forced and contrived, especially the romantic relationship between the main protagonist and the first female he befriends in the show. It's a good example of everything that is wrong with "modern" anime, IMO.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2017, 17:28 Mordecai Walfish

Gillian Welch's Elvis Presley Blues is my favorite tribute to The King. Such a good musician/songwriter.. and probably the closest thing to country music that I can stomach, but more folk, so I guess that's why I like her music.

"Just a country boy that combed his hair
And put on the shirt that his mother made
And went on the air
And he shook it like a chorus girl
And he shook it like a Harlem queen
He shook it like a midnight rambler, baby
Like you never seen, like you never seen"

News Comments > For Honor Season 3 Today
3. Re: For Honor Season 3 Today Aug 15, 2017, 14:14 Mordecai Walfish

Watching the high-level cheese tactics that the "pros" have to use to be competitive in this game, has completely turned me off from wanting to give this a try. I hope mordhau turns out good, and hopfffefully absolver has great melee combat too. Mirage and For Honor turned out to be duds, which has left a major opening for someone to step in and do it right. Shame, as I was quite looking forward to both of those at one point.  

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 14, 2017, 16:30 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 14:20:
Do people have any opinions on multifan cooler designs vs. single fan blowers? I prefer multiple fans myself.

Multiple fans. While at first thought it seems to go against logic, they are quieter if implemented correctly. Those single fan blowers have to ramp up to super high speeds to cool cards, and mostly require the fan to always be on. Multi-fan designs can spin at a slower speed (because of the increased cooling area where fans meet metal/copper heatsinks, and when the heatspreader is large enough that it requires multiple fans, they can do other cool stuff, like turning the fans off completely at idle. The fans on my GTX 980ti (MSI gaming 6g) turn off under a certain temp (like 50c or so) and the card passively cools itself to around 35c when idle. When the fans spin up it's hard to hear them unless they're at full power also, because they don't have to be hitting massive RPM's when there are multiple fans of decent quality on the GPU.

Multi-fan all the way.

News Comments > Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 13, 2017, 01:06 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 21:15:
"There are some things that can beat smartness and foresight? Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot."

-Mark Twain

Something I saw today that reminds me of this quote is a tournament game of Street Fighter IV some years back where a very unskilled Ryu player wins against a much better "pro" player, just by mashing light punch over and over when close and using repeat wake-up dragon punches and other cheese tactics. The "pro" dude was so salty and his opponent just wearing a shit-eating grin, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeGPUtxKjXo

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 12, 2017, 12:34 Mordecai Walfish

That Android article is clickbait. After reading it, they clearly state that only 3 apps had the malware in them and one of them was downloaded 1000 times.

Fake news.

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
61. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 20:46 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 00:19:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 22:42:
WaltC wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 21:14:
But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably the most successful engine of all time, in terms of adoption worldwide by (both AAA and indie) gaming studios.. I thought this was pretty well known?

Incorrect.

If you meant to say that UE3 was so popular, you'd have a modicum of a point. UE4 however, is an entirely different beast, and has not seen the widespread adoption as UE3 enjoyed. And for good reason, UE4 is fucking SHITE.

I like lawbreakers, but goddamn, playing on medium with poo textures and overall quality and STILL getting frame drops left and right, then switching to BF1 and within 10 seconds I remember what it's like to aim in real-time again... while the game looks amazing.

EU4 borrowed too much from UE3, they're slapping new coats of paint on an old frame. Frostbite however was designed the opposite way, they designed it to be used with hardware 10 years in the future, and then gimped it down. Every couple years they remove a couple layers of paint to show the gem inside.

You seem to have a bit of tunnel vision in thinking exclusively of FPS games in this comparison, but UE4 has broken ground that was never thought possible by previous middleware engines, namely being so widely adopted overseas by Japanese devs. Tekken 7, Street Fighter 5, Fatal Fury XIV, The new Kingdom Hearts game and the remake of Final Fantasy 7 are ALL being done in UE4. UE3 may have had more in terms of raw number of titles developed with it, but UE4 has reached farther than any other western-developed gaming engine that I know of. I won't argue that DiCE doesn't have an excellent engine as well, but it's only used for like 4 or 5 games, total.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Specs
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 20:28 Mordecai Walfish

Recommended processor: Intel Core i5-4690K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent

Seems like a indicator that this was written up well before the ryzen launch. Unless this game does super-good on 8 cores by some miracle, the Intel chip listed blows it out of the water, in gaming especially.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 20:24 Mordecai Walfish

And here I've been mistaking Overwatch for Blizzard's "global diversity and inclusion initiative"  

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
52. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2017, 22:42 Mordecai Walfish

WaltC wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 21:14:
But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably the most successful engine of all time, in terms of adoption worldwide by (both AAA and indie) gaming studios.. I thought this was pretty well known?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 10, 2017, 19:24 Mordecai Walfish

Even the official response from his legal team sounds damning:

"Mr. Bolling recalls no such inappropriate communications, does not believe he sent any such communications"

"recalls no such" and "does not believe" instead of "did not", sounds much more like guilty legal-speak to me. We'll see.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 18:59 Mordecai Walfish

20+ yrs later and I'm still using the right mouse button for jump. I used a Logitech trackman marble for about a decade (doom, quake1, 2 & 3) and got my first Microsoft mouse in 2006, and then the mx518, which quickly became a favorite. The successor g400s (which is superior in almost every way), I liked so much that I bought a bundle of them. Same shape as the 518, but much better sensor. Haven't had a single one break yet either, surprisingly.  

News Comments > Paragon's Game-Changing New Dawn Update
5. Re: Paragon's Game-Changing New Dawn Update Aug 9, 2017, 22:42 Mordecai Walfish

plays great with a controller on console, which is the only place i see it really succeeding at all.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 22:15 Mordecai Walfish

I've been upgrading on a 200-400% increase schedule for a long while now. Most recently, from Phenom2 555be to i7 4790k, gtx480 to a 980ti, 4gb ram to 16gb, and switched primary hdd from mechanical to ssd.

Loving the new speed =)

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 19:04 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 18:21:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:09:
Having grown up with NES games that only give you a couple lives with a game that is only a couple hours long, the whole "permadeath" thing here doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. So what if you don't have time to start over from the beginning in the same sitting? Just try again later and see if you can improve on the previous run. There is nothing forcing you to keep on playing if you don't have the time.

It really doesn't have perma-death anyway, the rot mechanic is hard-limited to the shoulder and will never reach her brain, no matter how often you die. Kinda sad it was a lie by the way, because that IS an interesting game mechanic, well, it could have been one, sadly it's not in the game.

That is a shame. Looks like Darks won't be crying himself to sleep tonight after all..

1671 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo