Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1442 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Conan Exiles Barbarian Edition
22. Re: Prey in May Jan 26, 2017, 14:57 Mordecai Walfish

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 11:17:
rawbelly wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 01:55:
from the site: "AN OPEN-WORLD SURVIVAL GAME
IN THE BRUTAL LANDS OF CONAN THE BARBARIAN"

nope. nope. nope. nope. nope.
THis will turn into the same vile crapmunity that Rust is.
That game made me want to sell my PC.

Saving grace is that looks like you can be on your own private server...alone.

You can't do that with Rust as well, private servers?

Yes you absolutely can. Players can create their own dedicated servers with whatever mods and rulesets they desire.

Currently playing: RCRU , GTA:V , Owlboy , Everspace , Dead Cells , Redout, Dirt 4
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 26, 2017, 14:51 Mordecai Walfish

They've become a shareholder-driven gadget company constantly striving for the new successful iphone or breakthrough device that nobody wants (iwatch). As a company, they've almost completely lost their way, and people who have supported them throughout the years by buying their overpriced computers are slowly cashing in their reality cheques.  

Currently playing: RCRU , GTA:V , Owlboy , Everspace , Dead Cells , Redout, Dirt 4

News Comments > Conan Exiles Barbarian Edition
20. Re: Conan Exiles Barbarian Edition Jan 26, 2017, 03:44 Mordecai Walfish

This looks more like an ARK expansion than a standalone game. Better hope they have something really clever and unique to set themselves apart from all the copycats in this never-ending early access genre.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2017, 07:57 Mordecai Walfish

Mame .182 is out now, for you emulation geeks out there. Portaudio is now included for cross-platform low latency audio, which is a huge step forward IMO.

News Comments > Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster
12. Re: Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster Jan 25, 2017, 07:46 Mordecai Walfish

To quote Mc'Cree: "We're all gamblers now."

The items being dropped are not money, they are cosmetic garbage that you can buy with in-game currency as well if you really have to get that skin or icon so badly. You can't sell them to other people or even trade them, they're just unlocks to keep you in the hampster wheel of playing for ingame currency to unlock the ones you choose, or buy a bundle of boxes from blizz and hope you get the one you want.

This is seriously no different than the quarter capsule machines you can play at grocery stores, something that people were indifferent to until a similar system was in their precious FPS games. I can't believe people cannot tell the difference between this and the actual gambling that was going on with games like CS:GO. This isn't the same, and labeling it as gambling is just about the most retarded argument I think a person could make in protest of this "evil" system. What's next? Is Diablo is a gambling game? Corrupting the youth this whole time because of it's random item drops? How about every RPG ever made that didnt give you what you want when you wanted it and made you grind for random drops from enemies to get them. Those fucking evil bastards have had me gambling my entire life it turns out!

News Comments > Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster
3. Re: Overwatch Celebrates the Year of the Rooster Jan 24, 2017, 23:10 Mordecai Walfish

thecakeisalie wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 22:10:
This game is a goldmine for Blizzard. Just "celebrate" 20+ "holidays" per year and watch the suckers fork over craploads of cash for their microtransaction RNG loot boxes to try to get the cool stuff. I hate gambling boxes with a passion. Just sell people the stuff they want already. Stop trying to get kids hooked on gambling and being greedy fucks, Activision.

How the hell did you ever get the idea in your head to equate random drops to gambling? These are two completely different things. This isn't some shady aftermarket CS:GO skin site, its a random drop system.. something that's been used in gaming since before I was born.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
45. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 19, 2017, 14:07 Mordecai Walfish

I was originally pretty upset about this because it meant that one of the integral features of my GPU, Shadowplay, could not be used without having an active internet connection and that was a change from when I initially bought the card.

They've since updated it so that Shadowplay works without an internet connection, just as long as you've logged in to GFE once before, it will function just fine without an internet connection, so it's not that big a deal anymore IMO. It's one of those things where I logged in once and ever since then haven't been bothered by it or given two shits about any of this. I don't use it for driver updates or game optimization or any of the other crap it does, all that is disabled on mine, so it's just for Shadowplay. I didn't connect it to facebook or anything like that, just sign up with your spam e-mail account and it's smooth sailing after that. I'd still prefer not to, but it's really not that big a deal.

News Comments > Overwatch Event and PTR Plans
2. Re: Overwatch Event and PTR Plans Jan 19, 2017, 13:14 Mordecai Walfish

theglaze wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 12:13:
"...and offers no player rewards."

Pardon?

Loot boxes still drop, any items unlocked in PTR are saved to the regular game.

Maybe he means competitive rank and that point system?

I though the inventories are separate? I have different stuff in both.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 17, 2017, 02:00 Mordecai Walfish

The launch lineup isnt as strong as say the SNES was, but it is still impressive. I would pick up BotW and Bomberman out of that group, personally.

Digital foundry did a hands-on with the Switch yesterday and it seemed overall favorable. It's basically $300 for Nintendo's latest handheld system, with the ability to dock it to a television, and the added benefit of having all production teams who used to be spread out between the gameboy and the home consoles, finally working together on a single platform.

DF video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lyvgeJJw0

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 16:47 Mordecai Walfish

BobBob wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 16:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 10:49:
[8 men (yes, all of them MEN) have more wealth than combined 3.6 billion, those 8 sure are very equal among themselves...

And yet people keep buying their products and/or services.

That's a very easy finger to point, but the reality of the matter is hardly that simple. Branding and marketing have made it so 99% of people have no fucking clue who really is profiting from a purchase, and even when you do know a fact or two about the lineage of a product, this can all change overnight with little to no news of the subject unless you're scouring niche forums/forum groups and largely conspiratorial news outlets and websites for information. Then there's the clusterfuck of advertisements now geared to make people think that the AD is a part of the source medium, and things are more confusing than ever for anyone who aspires to be an "informed consumer" because less people than ever will agree as to what sources for this information should be trusted in the first place.

Relevant piece to this conversation, from one of George Carlin's last stand-up specials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Sends shivers up my spine seeing this now, as the working class "joe the plumbers" out there just got done electing someone from the 0.1% into the highest office in the country (some would say the world).

If the average person in this country isn't informed enough to vote in their own interest, what makes you think that joe middle class would know a damn thing about what his dollars are supporting with the purchases that he makes?

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Amiga Story Part 2 (The 90s) - Nostalgia Nerd Jan 16, 2017, 12:35 Mordecai Walfish

Regarding recent Amiga retrospectives and documentaries, I saw a couple cool ones recently:

From Bedrooms to Billions (more about the start to home computer/video gaming and development, and its progression, but has a good sized section about the Amiga)

From Bedrooms to Billions: The Amiga Years (sequel to the above, 2+hrs about the Amiga's heritage and history)

Viva Amiga (just came out a week ago, similar to the above)

Other computer/gaming nostalgia-docs to check out:

BBS: The Documentary

Get Lamp (about text adventures)

I really enjoyed watching all of these, brought back a bunch of fond memories, learned some new stuff, and put some things into perspective.

News Comments > DiRT Showdown for Free
15. Re: DiRT Showdown for Free Jan 13, 2017, 06:28 Mordecai Walfish

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 04:51:
Free is good.

The actual game, however, is not.

There isn't a mode in this turd that isn't done better in GTA V.. but it does look awful purdy whilst blowing so many goats. I guess that retarded gymkhana crap isn't in GTA V, so if that's your bag for some reason, here's your game.

Codemasters is also known for their excellent driving peripheral compatibility, so if you happen to have a setup like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMMEMiozkU , the game is probably far more enjoyable.

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Jan 12, 2017, 18:19 Mordecai Walfish

Dacote wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 11:44:
Quboid wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 10:37:
Beamer wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 10:27:
Quboid wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 21:49:

My SSD didn't fit under the mobo. Have you had a problem with that? Either my OCZ SSD is a millimetre too wide or the slots are too narrow. I'm not going to run out of drive slots but that's an odd one.

You mean behind the mobo, right? Open the other panel and there are two SSD holders?

Yes.
I had the same issue on a build with the R5.
The SSD mounts on top of the removable SSD holder that is located on the back of the motherboard plate, not underneath the SSD holder (or beneath it).
I came real close to mangling the fudge out of the holder until I figured it out.

I don't think they could have picked a worse place for those. They are subject to all the heat coming off of the hottest part of the motherboard with little to no airflow back there. I ran mine in that configuration after getting the case and saw as I was monitoring the temps that they were getting hotter than my 7200rpm HDDS. They mount easily to the sliding hdd trays and stay nice and cool in the rack there behind the fans, by my testing ~10c cooler.

8. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2017, 23:40 Mordecai Walfish

Quboid wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 22:36:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 22:02:

My SSD didn't fit under the mobo. Have you had a problem with that? Either my OCZ SSD is a millimetre too wide or the slots are too narrow. I'm not going to run out of drive slots but that's an odd one.

Put your SSD in one of the drive bays so the front fan(s) are blowing on it. It will stay cooler than the behind the motherboard mounting, by almost 10c. It's still well within operating range for most SSD's, but cooler components are happier (and usually longer lasting) components.

Good point. It also means one less power cable from the PSU, as it uses the same one as my two hard drives (I love PSUs with detachable cables!).

Is there anywhere you recommend adding fans? I'm thinking another intake on the front below the existing one and an output on the top. I don't think any is necessary at present but if I do overclocking I would like more. Does any 3-pin fan work with the fan speed switch, or does it need to have PWM?

I would recommend just getting a 2nd good quality fan for the front, and skip putting any fans in the top. You will hear considerably more sound from your PC if you take the top cover off to put a fan there, and it will not really cool much better (maybe 1c max), and can even disrupt the front-to-back airflow tunnel that you create with the front and back fans by adding upward pressure into the mix. a 2nd front fan is what is recommended most with these cases for improved airflow. Also, concerning noise levels, the model without the window on the side is not only cheaper but quieter. A single back fan is quite sufficient for removing the hot air in a setup with dual front fans in that case, no need really for a top or side fan.

Any fan will work with the fan switch, as it simply regulates the voltage to attain relative speeds across the board.

6. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2017, 22:02 Mordecai Walfish

Put your SSD in one of the drive bays so the front fan(s) are blowing on it. It will stay cooler than the behind the motherboard mounting, by almost 10c. It's still well within operating range for most SSD's, but cooler components are happier (and usually longer lasting) components.

5. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2017, 21:59 Mordecai Walfish

Quboid wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 19:19:
I now have a Fractal Design Define R5 case, thanks Beamer and Dacote for the recommendation. It's a nice upgrade over my 10+ year old case. The power/HDD LEDs are so bright that I disconnected them, but as it's so quiet now I can't tell if my computer is off/asleep, or it's just turned the monitors off for power saving

That case rocks. Upgraded to that about a year ago. I ended up putting opaque tape over the light and it's still slightly visible, but not nearly as bad as it was before. That sucker is bright!

News Comments > More Overwatch Roadhog Changes
10. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 14:41 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 13:28:
Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 10:29:
Ah yes, the usual Blizzard Nerf Hammer has struck again. Let's not adjust something a little bit downwards, let's just make it completely utterly useless, then adjust it back up when the cries of outrage become too overwhelming.

It's really become a concept by now. Many games employ the Blizzard Nerf Hammer method of "balancing."

I can see some wisdom in a big change, but I think you only do that when the small changes just aren't having the intended effect. As I pointed out in the previous thread, all they did by fixing Roadhog's hook was reverse the problem. Instead of completely ignoring line of sight, they changed it to where any small impedance would break the hook. Now they've adjusted that again, I still think it might be too easy to break the hook, but it seemed pretty obvious they were creating a new problem.

Ana nade, and roadhog's quantum hook are pretty much the reason behind the current, boring, 3 tank meta. So I'm fine with them being nerfed, just don't make them useless. I'd rather see other characters buffed to make them more viable (like they're trying to do with Sombra).

Not to mention that these changes aren't even in the live game yet, they've only been testing on the PTR while they iron things out. That's what the PTR is for, after all. I think the PTR patch notes being posted at blues are fueling some kind of confirmation bias Creston has against blizzard and other companies. In reality, they're actually handling this quite well.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2017, 11:18 Mordecai Walfish

Here's a funny video of Elon Musk telling a very nervous and star struck interviewer about his favorite video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoTw_JuE78

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 7, 2017, 20:15 Mordecai Walfish

I just wanted to apologize for being a bit pedantic with my first statement. The emulation is good for a majority of people, just not on par with most PC emulators. I realize alot of people got these as gifts over the holidays and its not my place to devalue them, as they are very enjoyable gaming machines.

I plan on buying one just because it blows my mind you can buy a console at a store with Bubble Bobble on it, in the year 2016/7. One of my all time favorites.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2017, 19:37 Mordecai Walfish

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 18:31:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 17:43:
Go diy with it. The emulation on the nes classic sucks.

I've had zero problems with mine. It even gets the framerate slowdowns in games like Mega Man 2 right. Plus, the CRT filter nails the look of early 90s gaming perfectly.

the emulator itself is missing different graphical and audio layers from the NES, resulting in poorer emulation than pretty much any NES emulator available. That said, if you're happy with it, that is what matters first and foremost. The issues with the missing elements will be a much larger problem for people adding other roms that heavily use those portions of the NES. Only a couple games that are packed in with the nes classic have issues with it.

1442 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo