Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1613 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 14, 2017, 15:09 Mordecai Walfish

“If you lose your phone, or it dies, then you just replace it.” Pondsmith says, waving around his own smartphone, which is currently pinging him real-time information about seismic activity somewhere in South America. “I’m plugged into the planet with this thing. That’s how amazing it is, but the tech is everywhere. It took me about an hour at most to re-establish everything that had been on my old phone on this one when I bought it. Information and preferences are easily transferable.”

I think there’s a deeper issue though: even if I can replace the phone, I don’t control the networks and the satellites that allow the phone to operate. So much of the power isn’t in the phone, it’s in the access that the phone has, and that is not replaceable. Not by me at any rate. If my provider cuts me off from data and telecommunications networks, I own a very expensive brick that can play match-3 games.

“Think of it in the context of net neutrality, which is really about corporations not wanting people to have access to other people. Within six to eight years of net neutrality crashing and burning, if that happens, we’ll end up with an alternate net. You might not be able to build it yourself, but somebody will create it and provide ways for you to access it. The upshot of the ubiquity isn’t just that you can buy a thing or access it through official channels, it’s that when those official channels are taken away, or censored or throttled or controlled, somebody will always replace them. People will make alternate forms. It even happens with currency. Look at Bitcoin; it’s money that the government doesn’t necessarily control.“

Some interesting thoughts concerning Net Neutrality by Mike Pondsmith in that article. I'd like hope that will be the inevitable outcome if net neutrality gets ground up by the shitmachine in Washington DC right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled
4. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 13:07 Mordecai Walfish

Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1™9™5™0™X™  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 17:02 Mordecai Walfish

This is the price the rift should have launched at. I wonder if they are prepping a rift 2 for release later in the year and closing out some stock with this pricing  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 14:25 Mordecai Walfish

Timmeh wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:15:
LIVVANALAUGTIMMEH!

News Comments > On Overwatch Balance
10. Re: On Overwatch Balance Jul 9, 2017, 12:44 Mordecai Walfish

TL;DR - Everybody chill out and get Doomfisted. They got this.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 17:02.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 8, 2017, 17:54 Mordecai Walfish

I remember the last thread about denuvo we were playing at a couple guesses as to how long the newest denuvo would take to get cracked. 4 days, was how long it took. RIP Denuvo  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Extended
10. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Extended Jul 7, 2017, 16:37 Mordecai Walfish

Wouldn't be a proper survival/battle royale game unless the early access was extended!  

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Price Jumps
24. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Price Jumps Jul 6, 2017, 15:59 Mordecai Walfish

Key resellers who bought these up while it was cheap are going to have a heyday on this one.  

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
12. Re: Independence Day Tech Bits Jul 5, 2017, 01:34 Mordecai Walfish

I used to love winamp, and it was hard leaving the program for something new, but with winamp being apparently abandoned and not making any progress besides adding more bullshit and bloat I don't use, it had to happen. Ended up with foobar2k and MPC-HC/CCCP with MadVR and ReClock. I still miss the interface from winamp from time to time, but this setup is much higher quality and will play pretty much every media format on Earth.

RIP Winamp

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 29, 2017, 15:55 Mordecai Walfish

Magnetic scrolls is/was an excellent name for them as a developer in that era working with tape systems. Awesome they were able to recover the magic!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2017, 15:50 Mordecai Walfish

BobBob wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 14:14:
Unfortunately, that would block access to emergency services. Say some crazy guy is stalking you, or road raging, or what if you spot a drunk driver, or if you have a medical issue, you need to be able to dial 911 or someone for assistance. Not sure if they would be able to differentiate text vs. voice usage.

Per cell phone regulation (in the us at least), it's required that 911 emergency services always be available, even if the standard voice/data services are off for the phone. Software that only allows 911 to be dialed and for texting to be disabled, is quite possible though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 11:59 Mordecai Walfish

Nimh wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:49:
Really Blue? Canada has good snipers goes under 'The funnies'?

Any time Canada tries to look serious it always comes across as "the funnies".. nothing new here. Rolleyes2 Rifle

News Comments > No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC?
35. Re: No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC? Jun 23, 2017, 00:06 Mordecai Walfish

ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 21:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 21:23:
ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 20:22:
The PC vids clearly show recoil. The guy misspoke. Blues message boards are cancer.
Spoken like Stage 4 ass cancee.(sic)

Thanks for proving my point. Keep stepping on the rake I'm putting in front of you.

<edit> Democrat hell-hole Chicago stat update:

June to Date
Shot & Killed: 55
Shot & Wounded: 217
Total Shot: 272
Total Homicides: 61

Fuckin' Obama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2017, 23:12 Mordecai Walfish

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 13:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 11:00:
LA Noire remaster skipping the computer, pc gamers everywhere rejoice.

It's likely that the remaster is basically the graphical increase the PC had over the console versions when it came out.

The spider man article is disappointing, but expected. Open world games are an astounding juggling act, any one component will hold the entirety back, much more so than level-based games.

Dealing with those weak AMD cpu's in current gen consoles is the biggest obstacle holding back current gen games.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 21, 2017, 22:55 Mordecai Walfish

so they replaced the specific colors with specific color ranges. it should take all of a week at most for new bots to come out that will be able to overcome this.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2017, 18:00 Mordecai Walfish

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 10:58:
The fact that there are still humans alive that are unintelligent and willfully ignorant enough to believe that climate change has nothing to do with us is incredibly disturbing, today put it mildly.

Agreed. It's far past time that people wrap their heads around the fact that science is a valuable tool for looking after the survival of most life on this planet. Republicans and religious zealots on the other hand, not so much. It's bad enough to have absolutely blind Faith in your white space wizard, but now they are putting that same faith in very corruptible humans in offices of power. I don't see any scenario where this ends well without massive conflict, unfortunately

P.s. RIP, P. Grew up on the east coast and really liked mobb deep's infamous album back in the day. 41st side and Queens Bridge at it's finest.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
40. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 18:27 Mordecai Walfish

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 19, 2017, 14:50:
This analogy above doesn't really work if the developers never mentioned mod support.. If they didn't, well it's not exactly a feature to base marketing off. I'm too lazy to do my research on it

They have never openly supported or mentioned modding as a feature for any of their (3D) games.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 19, 2017, 11:01 Mordecai Walfish

Xero wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 23:56:
Ok, f**k me. I just put my brain together to see if Ori 2 was revealed at E3 and it was. No f**kin wonder.

THANK YOU AND BRING IT!

The animation and seamless integration of background and characters in that Ori 2 trailer was breathtaking. Probably my most anticipated game from E3.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
34. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 10:53 Mordecai Walfish

Malicious modders are definitely an issue, but if you just join a large crew that has open enrollment, you can just enter into crew sessions and not worry about most of this stuff. The modders you see in those lobbies are generally only helpful and spawn cars and stuff in for fun, and if someone malicious happens to slip through, they get removed from both the crew/session pretty quickly.

Besides, in the latest update they added the friggin Groove Champion to the game. I cant get the paint job exactly right, but the body style and mounted guns are spot on. The biggest new addition is the rocket bike though.. I couldn't be happier with the gun running update unless they added single player dlc along with it. The rocket bike brings things to the next level. I don't even hesitate to take on hydras with that thing.

I feel for the modding community and openIV, but they are not the reason why a vast majority (95%+) of the players bought the game and continue to play it.

Slashman wrote on Jun 19, 2017, 10:38:
So the shutdown of a mod tool for GTA4 causes a flood of negative reviews for GTA5? Stay classy modern day gamers.

OpenIV is a tool for modding the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine, not for any particular game. It got started with GTA IV, hence the name.

News Comments > Origin Access Free This Week
4. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Jun 11, 2017, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 14:38:
Hrm, probably going to be a marked increase in BF1 cheaters for awhile.

It didnt show BF1 as an available game for this, so that shouldnt be an issue.

1613 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo