Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1274 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
74. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Sep 1, 2016, 18:25 Mordecai Walfish

***FIX FOR NVIDIA USERS GETTING GRID-LIKE PATTERN IN GROUND TEXTURES***

This is the first game I've ever seen this happen with, but BF1 does not jive with "High Quality" texture filtering settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. It creates this grid-like pattern along the ground. Only known fix right now is to set texture filtering to default (Quality) in the NV control panel.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mother Russia Bleeds Gameplay Video
6. Re: Mother Russia Bleeds Gameplay Video Sep 1, 2016, 16:51 Mordecai Walfish

This looks really good! Just sold about $25 worth of junk from my TF2 inventory so it looks like a good chunk of that is going towards this game! Too bad they aren't offering a 4-pack though..  

62. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 19:06 Mordecai Walfish

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 17:18:
Shitty beta.

Not only is EA/Origin offline but WTF is this shit:

- You can not map your thumb mouse button to reload? Seriously EA/DICE? In 2016 you fuckers are not supporting more than three mouse buttons, even though every other game in your same shitty franchise does, so I have to assume you were simply too fucking retarded to copy&paste your own shitty console garbage crap code?

I use the browser back thumb button for reload in all games and it mapped fine for me in the options in BF1. Just make sure you're mapping it under the mouse column in the middle and not keyboard or joystick, and it works fine.

Havent been able to play yet, as immediately after I finished setting up my controls/options, it said I was no longer connected to the EA servers.

59. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 18:12 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:28:
Retired wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:22:
Slick wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:20:
Retired wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:15:
Played plenty.

Thousands of hours in BF games.

I am drunk, and I am home.

Then maybe put a couple hours into figuring out the new game mechanics and get into a good squad that can take objectives. I'll squad up with you if you want. I'm not drunk yet, but I'm good company.

originID: IIISLICKIII

"NO RESULTS WERE FOUND FOR IIISLICKIII"

Try mine "The_xXBatmanXx"

found it, added

Everyone should post their Origin ID who wants to squad up. We'll be the BN crusty old people brigade who just complain about everything and try our hardest not to have fun

MordecaiWalfish

Lets not have some fun together.

News Comments > PS Now PC Streaming Begins
17. Re: PS Now PC Streaming Begins Aug 31, 2016, 17:51 Mordecai Walfish

Jivaro wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 01:04:
Slick wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 23:33:
While I wouldn't buy a DS4 controller for this, I happen to have 2 of them, and I fucking love them, syncs with bluetooth on pc just fine. And ergonomically it's the best controller I've ever used.

+1

Would be nice if they at least provided keyboard options...but if I am stuck with a controller at least I am stuck with one I actually like to use.

Agreed. The DS4 is hands down the best gamepad I've used on PC. The only downside is that it doesnt have xinput support out of the box, only directinput. Luckily with programs like input mapper this isnt an issue, but input mapper and similar programs can have a bit of input lag compared to native directinput. x360ce is the best solution in this regard, as it does not seem to have the overhead that the fully fledged programs like inputmapper and ds4windows have, but on the downside it has to be installed for each game you want to use the DS4 with, which is not very difficult at all once you learn how to use it.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
31. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 31, 2016, 17:13 Mordecai Walfish

Emton wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 04:08:
Ok well about the uninstalling drivers I'm wondering cause after I uninstall and restart, by the time I load up the installer for the new drivers there is already drivers for the card installed (like 3 versions old) so does that make uninstalling and restarting kind of pointless?

That's was an issue I had when I was doing the clean sweep yesterday. I ended up manually removing the drivers through device manager (uninstall -> delete driver) and then running the DDU software to completely remove all traces. Upon restart it only found a generic VGA adapter after that.

I tried turning off automatic driver install/update through the group policy editor even, but I think it was installing a locally stored copy that was lingering around Windows. Either way it was a bit of a pain in the butt, but DDU helped. Usually you should only need to install the newer ones, and if concerned about a messed up install, try the "clean install" option in the installer. I only did the full wipe because I wanted to bench the differences in drivers properly and remove some of the components completely like 3d vision and the HDMI audio drivers.

25. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 20:14 Mordecai Walfish

Okay, I did some benchmarks going from my previous driver version to this newest one, and they look promising so far!

Each was done with a sequence of 5 identical timedemo tests in TF2, before and after driver installation. Old driver was uninstalled along with all Nvidia components with a clean wipe using DDU. First run is tossed out and the average of the remaining 4 runs is listed.

-Previous driver (368.81):

139.34 fps ( 7.18 ms/f) 22.321 fps variability

-New driver (372.70):

154.19 fps ( 6.49 ms/f) 20.284 fps variability

*Note: previous installation had Nvidia 3dvision drivers, HDMI Audio drivers, and geforce experience installed as well, new install has only display driver and physX installed. I'm installing the beta version of geforce experience now and will test after install and report back if that lowers performance at all (doing testing with shadowplay off, but will bench the performance hit with it on too)

EDIT:

Results with GeForce Experience Beta 3.0.4.35:

-Geforce experience installed (program running in background, sharing overlay disabled):

156.10 fps ( 6.41 ms/f) 20.544 fps variability

-With sharing overlay enabled, but nothing activated in overlay:

157.12 fps ( 6.36 ms/f) 19.137 fps variability

-With shadowplay enabled in sharing overlay:

154.80 fps ( 6.46 ms/f) 20.225 fps variability

-With Twitch streaming enabled (720p 30fps 2.5mbps) in sharing overlay:

154.36 fps ( 6.48 ms/f) 20.112 fps variability

**Tested with an i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz, 980ti OC, 16gb DDR3-2133 ram & Windows 7 64-bit. System was restarted after driver install, and after installing Geforce Experience Beta.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2016, 23:06.

22. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 18:01 Mordecai Walfish

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:33:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:26:
Just a heads up to everyone with 900-series cards, according to the driver release notes, this driver enables "Fast Sync" on your cards now. I'm pretty excited about this addition, as I do not have a g-sync monitor. No tearing and no v-sync with a minimal input lag hit. Some games like the new Unreal Tournament will benefit greatly from this addition, as the tearing is awful in that game, and there is no way any competitive player would ever turn v-sync on.

FastSync is only truly beneficial in high fps scenarios. Good luck getting 2x or 3x as much fps (120 to 180fps on a 60Hz screen) as your refresh rate with a GTX 9xx card in the new UT.

From here...

The major downside of Fast Sync is that (as a senior Nvidia engineer explains here) it is only truly beneficial in very high FPS situations, typically when your framerate is at least 2-3x your display's refresh rate (e.g. 120-180 FPS and above on a 60Hz monitor). At lower framerates, because of the way Fast Sync essentially samples/drops frames, you may notice similar sorts of latency issues as traditional VSync On, as well as stuttering. So in practical terms you should only consider enabling Fast Sync in older games, or newer games where the settings have been turned right down; basically only in games where you can guarantee very high framerates.

Seeme like UT won't be a good test for this as I expected then.. shame too with the horrible tearing in that game, even though I get 120+fps consistently with everything set to max..

Gonna have to test with games I hit 240+ fps with then, like overwatch and TF2. I've experimented with using lightboost/ulmb with both of those games but having vsync on (as is recommended with lightboost/ulmb) always has that noticeable input lag. (even with fps capped 1 below refresh and triple buffering)

18. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 17:26 Mordecai Walfish

Just a heads up to everyone with 900-series cards, according to the driver release notes, this driver enables "Fast Sync" on your cards now. I'm pretty excited about this addition, as I do not have a g-sync monitor. No tearing and no v-sync with a minimal input lag hit. Some games like the new Unreal Tournament will benefit greatly from this addition, as the tearing is awful in that game, and there is no way any competitive player would ever turn v-sync on.  

News Comments > CD Projekt Worth $1B
16. Re: CD Projekt Worth $1B Aug 30, 2016, 00:21 Mordecai Walfish

Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 23:04:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 20:24:
Why did the arguably better game not sell more copies than the worse game in the same genre from five years ago?

Dude do you remember the ad campaign for Skyrim? They saturated almost every media with ads for the game.

If CDPR dropped a hundred million on advertising their game, the numbers might have been closer.

Plus Elder Scrolls is a 20+ yr franchise. This is the 3rd Witcher game. How many games did the 3rd Elder Scrolls sell? I'm guessing not even in the same ballpark as this.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Trailer
4. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Aug 30, 2016, 00:19 Mordecai Walfish

Bradley wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 00:12:
Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 20:51:
Also, it's hard to tell from the video, but they're touting a "new and improved driving mechanic". And when the guy's driving, it looks waaaay too "snappy", like the car has no real weight to it at all, and is just glued to the pavement.

I noticed he used the word "accessible" when describing the new driving mechanic. That's just another word for "dumbed-down".

No matter what they do it's likely to be a positive change. I mean, it's very unlikely that anything could be worse than the driving in Watch Dogs 1. Maybe Supra Mayro Kratt is worse but I cant think of anything besides that. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYKu_lkY_4 )

News Comments > Steam Top 10
73. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 29, 2016, 18:35 Mordecai Walfish

You're probably not doing yourself any favors by linking those youtube videos, I'm guessing the band-wagoners of reddit/neogaf/gaming sites are requesting refunds in the same manner, linking previously made videos as evidence as a broken game.

If you took the time to outline why it was a deceptive sell in your opinion, in your own words, instead of relying on the works of others, you may have a better chance.

Just a thought.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Aug 29, 2016, 18:10 Mordecai Walfish

Batman @ 4:07 in the video. Don't forget about us little guys now that you're Youtube Famous, Bats. =P

LOL @ ending the video with the "drama on the dancefloor". Good review.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 13:16 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 12:49:
No Manís Sky Players Are Getting Refunds On The Game From PSN And Steam

Read more at: http://gearnuke.com/no-mans-sky-players-getting-refunds-game-psn-steam/

Blue posted a link about this in the update this morning.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2016, 20:03 Mordecai Walfish

PHJF wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 17:31:
Been using an XFX PSU for quite a few years now. Frankly the brand isn't near as important as the OEM the unit is based upon, with the brand really only impacting the warranty. Just consult The Tom's Hardware PSU Tier List to make sure your potential PSU uses quality Japanese components.

Lol, I just copied that exact same link to put in a reply and then saw you already had as I read further.

+1

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 18:36:
After all things considered - and there were many - I went with the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply. Which looks to be about best in class for the price point and the gold standard. All the reviews say it's the bomb, so sold. I grabbed it here for $145 and got a $15 MIR so not bad. It's gonna cost me $30 to RMA my Thermaltake but at least I'll have a spare for the future.

That is the *exact* same PSU I bought after researching a bunch of different ones earlier this year. Good pick, it's been a great (not-so) little PSU so far for me. It has an ECO mode that works great for silent builds, not turning the fan on until it hits a certain temperature, which it hardly ever does. I keep the fan on to keep everything as cool as possible in hopes I get more life out of it that way, though. EVGA really knocks the packaging out of the park too, with little cloth sacks for the PSU and modular cables. Something it no-doubt picked up from Corsair, but EVGA has been a much more consistent company for quality PSU's than Corsair, in recent years.

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
29. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 24, 2016, 01:10 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 23:37:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 18:58:
That is not how a port is defined. It's a stream from a server running the same exact game as playable on the playstation into your computer. It is the original game.

A port is when the game is internally reworked to run directly on a device different than it was originally programmed/intended for.

So by definition, streaming stuff over Gaikai is a port, even before you consider what device it's getting streamed to. I doubt Gaikai has 25000 PS3s sitting there with discs in them, each streaming to a single customer.

The very act of turning the PS3 game into something capable of being streamed from their servers would turn it into a port, n'est ce pas?

By this logic would you call a ROM a port then? It's just a rip from the original medium of the same exact code, similar to taking the image off a disk and putting it on a server. Gaikai/PS Now is just the streaming service that is used to play it.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released
49. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 23, 2016, 19:11 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 13:33:
Steam forums are generally hell on earth as well as strong proof that birth control should have be used.

LOL! So true.

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
20. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 18:58 Mordecai Walfish

Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:47:

Is it essentially the PS version on an internet stream? If yes, there isn't any work done on it to accommodate PCs, therefore its a port, a shitty port.

Sony can tell itself any fairy tale it wants, its not the same as giving PC gamers a PC game. Especially not when its gonna guzzle that bandwidth cap with compression artifacts and unavoidable additional input lag. Even if you didn't notice the lag, doesn't mean it isn't there or that it isn't noticeable.

Sony can tell itself any fairy tale it wants, its not the same as giving PC gamers a PC game. Especially not when its gonna guzzle that bandwidth cap with compression artifacts and unavoidable additional input lag. Even if you didn't notice the lag, doesn't mean it isn't there or that it isn't noticeable.

That is not how a port is defined. It's a stream from a server running the same exact game as playable on the playstation into your computer. It is the original game.

A port is when the game is internally reworked to run directly on a device different than it was originally programmed/intended for.

Also, if you care about input lag, it should be a no-brainer that wireless or streaming *anything* is something you want to avoid.

This is made for people who never owned a console and want to play some of their exclusives, which may or may not ever be properly ported over to the PC. In that regard, it's pretty cool they are opening up to a competing MS platform with cross system/pc play and also allowing some of the core experiences that would otherwise require someone to buy one of their consoles, to be played on the PC.

If the wireless adapter is decent I might pick one up.. but I'm really hoping they release a proper xinput driver for the DS4 so I can avoid having to use x360ce or inputmapper for that. Native support is long overdue.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 16:31 Mordecai Walfish

Yahoo needs to die in a fire already. They are just one of the worst "internet" conglomerates out there. It's almost as if HP runs their operations or something.

Video takes a minute to load on an 80 megabit line with no congestion and then even after loading the player controls are fucked to the point that trying to tap the full screen button (which it turns out doesn't work) opens up another browser tab with an ad every fucking time or just skips player position to near where the button is. It's 2016, fuckwits. Get a properly functioning media player that works on mobile without spamming your users into Advertisement Hell. /rant

Never again.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: AMD promises the world (again) Aug 18, 2016, 16:24 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 15:26:
Jamil20 wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 14:30:
Please, don't be like Bulldozer, please, don't be like Bulldozer...

Yeah I feel like we have been here before. Bulldozer is still fresh in people's minds. They should contact Anandtech to do internal benchmarks before making such claims.

I remember the smoke and mirrors (cherry picked benchmarks) from the Bulldozer reveal, and am also wary of AMD's claims because of that.

I really hope they deliver though.. the computing world needs a solid competitor for Intel and AMD is the best we've got in that regard. Go team red!

1274 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo