Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1971 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2018, 11:51 Mordecai Walfish

theglaze wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 09:52:
At least EA has extensive technical knowledge with creating extremely large maps, supporting large player counts with intertwined gameplay mechanics, and operating the network infrastructure to support all that.

PUBG and Fortnite play cluncky and unpolished, partly because of the comparison to the standard EA has put forth with Battlefield, Battlefront, COD, etc.

*awaits a beheading for extending a compliment to EA*

Best compliment I can think to extend to EA is that they didn't create COD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Ryzen CPU Reviews
4. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 11:41 Mordecai Walfish

Holy shit that's great news for AMD, looks like they've got a real winner on their hands. This speaks well for competition and also gives hope that we will see good computational power in the next generation of consoles as well, being that they will be using what is likely some close (in power) variant of these. The abysmal power of the jaguar cores in the current gen are a huge sore spot for the industry, as it has kept gaming technology back quite a bit for all the multiplatform games to have to account for that lowest common denominator.

Exciting times. Let's see what Intel has up it's sleeve in response next. They're getting their asses pounded in the price/performance arena as of today.

GG AMD.

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2018, 00:45 Mordecai Walfish

Maybe they can be the first ones to create a battle royale mode that is actually a fully fleshed out game, instead of a empty shell of a dayz clone with other mechanics hindered by being an afterthought to the core "loot places and kill people" mechanic. And no, pubg does not count. Look at how vehicles handle in that game; it looks like it's still in beta. dice could nail vehicles and make them actually feel decent, and i'm all for that. fortnite feels really jank because it ends up devolving into a "spam construction pieces" battle at the end of the match, and that type of gameplay is very shallow IMO. Sure its fast-paced and exciting and fun at times, but the gameplay mechanic feels very much out of place in a battle royale type game. having defensive barriers and stuff is nifty, but just being able to spam them everywhere freely is detrimental to a deeper gameplay experience that could be there.

given the success of pubg/fortnite, its a no-brainer that the major fps franchises will be exploring this multiplayer mode, and the battlefield series is perfect because it already has the large player infrastructure down very well, and an engine thats been built already with pretty much everything that this type of game would need.

News Comments > Peggle Free on Origin
9. Re: Peggle Free on Origin Apr 18, 2018, 21:21 Mordecai Walfish

Origin Marketing Team - 1
BluesNews - 0

News Comments > Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Released
22. Re: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Released Apr 17, 2018, 15:31 Mordecai Walfish

Tolkien should have named his book "The Midget" instead of "The Hobbit".. clearly would have been less confusing to readers who don't want to see the English language so abused.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2018, 14:58 Mordecai Walfish

WaltC wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:24:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 10:46:
Will Windows 10 ever be out of alpha?

Heh...;) I've been an Insider since 10/2014...;) Still am. I honestly cannot remember the last beta build I had a problem with (for at least a year or two), and whatever the problem for the latest official release is--it hasn't affected me even once. I'm now on Win10x64, version 1803, build 17134.1, the latest and I would bet the the latest official release build is this very build. It's the best, most stable, most backwards-compatible (especially for games) version of Windows yet to be released, imo. Way, way better than 7 and better by far than 8.1. Blue-screen, green-screens? What are they?...;) Can barely remember the last one I had--and that was from too much overclocking--ie, my fault and nothing to do with the Windows code base at all.

I think you may not be aware of the development cycle for Windows 10 these days. Microsoft is developing *two* official release builds of Windows 10 per year--one every six months or so. In Perpetuity. (The Insider's beta program is not open to the general public, but anyone who wants to may join it.) When the official release builds are released to the public they are *free*, and if your original Windows 10x64 license was retail (as opposed to OEM)--and if you built your own machine as I always do--then you get the latest Windows10x64 release whenever you wish to upgrade your present version for as long as *you* live...;) Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me. OEM Windows licenses expire when you dump your hardware, but even with those you can continue to upgrade to newer versions gratis so long as you keep your hardware--which almost always means just the motherboard. Retail licenses follow the customer; OEM licenses follow the the OEM hardware (motherboard.)

This is the the way they will do it for now on. There will be no "Windows 2020" or "Windows 11,12,13 or 14," etc. It's Windows 10--only version and build numbers will change. Not sure why some folks have such a hard time with the concept, myself--it works very well, imo.

When with Win7 it used to take me 2 + hours to do an upgrade install, with Win10x64 upgrading through Windows Update it takes me 15-20 minutes offline to upgrade, because nowadays most of the upgrade is done while you are online and still working with other apps, playing games, etc. An SSD makes a nice difference, but they've changed the whole structure of the upgrade install so that nowadays only a small portion of it is handled offline. It's *nothing* like it used to be--it's far better.

Just thought you might like to know...;)

That's nice you had a good experience with it. Many of us have not. I still keep a dual-boot system with windows 7 alongside 10, because of compatibility issues, and core issues in Windows 10. When I upgraded to the last big Windows 10 (creators update or something), it took well over an hour, and nuked my administrator profile (the only profile I had created at that point) upon finishing up the upgrade. I said fuck it for a while and just used Windows 7, occasionally trying stuff to get my Win10 profile working, but finally just gave up and decided I should create a new profile and accept whatever is lost is lost, as was recommended to me on the microsoft support forums. I booted into windows 10 to start this process, and all of a sudden my old profile is logging in without issues, after about a month of not working.

Windows 10 also has huge memory management issues, which result in freezing and stuttering of games. Some people say it is fixed in the 1803 update that you're on (FYI, this is also the exact same build that is reported in this article as giving people people BSOD issues). That is not the newest official release, and I am not beta testing microsoft shit given how bad this experience has already been. Performance is also strikingly similar in Windows 10/7, when they were talking about how good it supposedly was for gamers (anytime microsoft says theyre doing something good for gamers on PC, we should be *VERY* fucking wary at this point, I know). Cinebench gives equal CPU results in both windows 7/10, and actually comes in at ~25fps less in Win10 for openGL performance in the cinebench test. (windows 7 - ~180fps, windows 10 - ~155fps). After installing the Spectre/Meltdown patches I ran benchmarks to see how performance compared before/after, and in windows 10, my cpu score dropped about 4 points (from 955 to 951), but in windows 7, it actually went *up* by a point. I ran the tests multiple times and the results were consistent each time.

I actually feel much better running windows 7 than 10 right now, given all the shit ive had to deal with on that platform so far. I havent had a single BSOD on this windows 7 install since I did the overclocks/stability testing on my system initially after purchase. I feel like having both o/s accessible has given me a chance to kind of benchmark them alongside eachother in real-time as they improve windows 10. But for now the better performing and behaving O/S IMO is clearly Windows 7. They're making progress in 10, but it's not where it needs to be yet.

News Comments > Ys VIII Fix Plans
6. Re: Ys VIII Fix Plans Apr 17, 2018, 14:33 Mordecai Walfish

Shame they thought it was appropriate to release the game in this state. Don't know much about that dev though.

I've played through all the ys games, besides this one, and it's rather shocking they are asking $60 for these games still. The graphics engine is a generation or two behind, and it probably has the same shallow (but fun) gameplay of the previous entries. With games like the Witcher 3 and Skyrim out it's hard to see the value proposition of $60 for a new ys game that isnt completely revolutionary to the series. I love the series, but I wouldn't pay more than $40 for this game, even if it was in perfect working condition.. which apparently it is *far* from.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2018, 02:32 Mordecai Walfish

Haven't seen King of Kong, I assume then.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 17:31 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 16:29:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 16:10:
GOG has their top 150 wishlisted games on sale today..

I think this is the correct link to see all the discounted titles:

https://www.gog.com/games?price=discounted&sort=popularity&page=1

Some real gems in there like Ghost of a Tale, The Witcher series, Everspace, Divinity 1&2, Playdead's INSIDE, Stalker, and Dying Light

Cool beans. I own most of that stuff anyway. Anyone who hasn't bought Ghost of a Tale needs to. Such a wonderful, and refreshingly new, game. I'm heavily into a FO4 replay atm but I think I'm going to do some Dying Light soon. Feel like stomping some zombies. Frostpunk and Battletech are out next week so I'm curious to see if they'll be any good.

Been playing Ghost of a Tale in 4xDSR on my 1080 monitor, and it looks great. I average like 45-55 fps, but for the visual candy and lack of aliasing, i think it's a good tradeoff. For how good the game looks I was surprised to even be able to pull 4xDSR off on my 980ti without sacrificing much graphically. I shut off motion blur/chromabber, but I normally do that in all games. I'm not too far into it yet, but it's been a lot of fun so far. Beautiful environment to explore, solid and fun controls, and good writing and character design from what I've seen so far.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 16:10 Mordecai Walfish

GOG has their top 150 wishlisted games on sale today..

I think this is the correct link to see all the discounted titles:

https://www.gog.com/games?price=discounted&sort=popularity&page=1

Some real gems in there like Ghost of a Tale, The Witcher series, Everspace, Divinity 1&2, Playdead's INSIDE, Stalker, and Dying Light

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:20 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 13:32:
In what universe would a singing road ever be a good idea? Your tax dollars hard at work: Rolleyes

There are actually two of these singing sections of road in California. Both of them were improperly engineered and sound horrible, however.. yet they still remain.

Pigeon wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:03:
If you always think you're right, why bother with anything that says otherwise since by default contrary information is wrong.

I think this study is aimed at a very specific kind of person, though likely to be the most vocal, but it ties nicely into other research. When people are reasoning on topics they have emotional ties to, i.e. politics, a different part of the brain is used than other forms of reasoning. The overall message should be stop treating political parties like they’re your sports team, or part of your religious beliefs. Unfortunately this sort of research mostly falls on deaf ears, except the people who use such information for their own ends.

Reading the article made me think of religious "leaders" and spiritual gurus. Those types generally come across to me as a formulaic mixture of both charisma and "overestimating what they actually know" (to quote from the article). I find this "overestimating what they actually know" doesn't often come across directly, but usually in a causal, subliminal manner.

News Comments > M-Rated Agony to Receive AO PC Patch
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:07 Mordecai Walfish

Sepharo wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 13:26:
Actually the gifs at the ends are things that are not getting censored for consoles.

Wow. I figured that was all censored stuff, but piling up the meat-wall did seem rather tame compared to the rest, heheh.

1. Re: Huge blue penis mural pops up on building in Stockholm. Apr 16, 2018, 11:46 Mordecai Walfish

..the mural will be painted over a mere week after being erected last Wednesday.

punny

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 11:12 Mordecai Walfish

From the comment section of the video he posted:

Hey guys, Billy Mitchell kill screen coming up!

LOL

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 08:46 Mordecai Walfish

Retired wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 21:09:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 17:11:
Wow. The Minneapolis airport was closed down yesterday due to winter weather. I don't know about everyone else, but I would have assumed they handle winter weather fairly well there so the fact they closed says quite a bit.

They couldn't keep up. Was nasty. I drove wife and kid to Monster Energy Supercross at the US Bank Stadium, parked in 2 feet of snow on the curb. No issues there and back. Saw probably 50 cars in the ditch. Love having a Jeep. (ok Wife's Jeep)

/Hasn't stopped snowing in over 24 hours. Street had over 2 feet of snow. Shoveled 3-4 times already just to do it in parts. Good times I guess.

I feel ya. IIRC I'm just a little bit south of ya there. Every year at wintertime it seems like people are just learning how to drive again those first couple days of snow. Funny it's happening now too, after only being clear for like a month. I wonder how automated cars handle in extreme snowy conditions with white everywhere instead of being able to detect lines and stuff like it normally would. Do they default to 'just follow the flow of traffic, even if it leads you off a cliff'? GPS must be harder to use for automated-corrections in severe weather as well.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 20:10 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 19:10:
...HALO5 Forge. It's the closest thing I can get to HALO5 since I don't have an Xbone. I'm sorely disappointed that 343 didn't release The Master Chief Collection on PC. Even given it's problems, it still would have sold millions.

=-Rigs-=

Damn I forgot about the Forge thingie on Windows 10, gonna probably try that tonight. I played the El Dewrito hacked client of the russian-made halo online and had a bunch of fun with that on PC, but theres no way a small group like that can keep good anti-cheat/security measures in place for such a big title, so I gave up on it.

If MS was smart, given the flop that Master Chief Collection was on release, they would do somewhat of a re-release at a lower price point with a fully working/patched version of the game and cross-play via xbox play anywhere on PC. It would be the perfect title for them to help put some wind in their sails for the PC/Xbox play anywhere initiative, and they can still keep their newer entries as xbox exclusive to sway people into getting an xbox so they can "finish the fight" after they play through all the originals.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 16:53 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 16:05:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 14:36:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Red-Dead-Redemption-Microsoft-Xbox-360-2010/72452757

RDR1 for 360 (backwards compatible with xb1), for $8 brand new. Seems too good to be true, but I just ordered one.

I paid $5 for it along with Halo3 and Bioshock Infinite (for a grand whopping total of dinner for two at Hardees/TacoBell/Wendys - $15) at Gamestop about six months ago and I, admittedly, haven't even installed them yet. I know, I'm horrible. I wanted RDR for so long (along with HALO Reach) and then I got them and I was like, eh, I'll play it later, why rush? I'm so ashamed...

=-Rigs-=

Halo reach's campaign is awesome. I remember playing through that with a couple buddies in marathon sessions. One of the best Halo campaigns I've played. I'd probably rank Halo2 as my favorite for the single player campaign, but reach is definitely second. I've only played about half the games though. Didn't fuck with ODST, 4 or 5, wars, etc.

I still havent played through Bioshock 1, let alone Infinite, so don't feel bad there.. in fact, I'm still finishing up Fallout 2 in preparation to start on New Vegas and then 3 / 4.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 14:36 Mordecai Walfish

https://www.ebay.com/p/Red-Dead-Redemption-Microsoft-Xbox-360-2010/72452757

RDR1 for 360 (backwards compatible with xb1), for $8 brand new. Seems too good to be true, but I just ordered one.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 13:04 Mordecai Walfish

Things are getting better for upgrades/new builds:

gpu prices are coming down already, close to msrp in some places now.

1060 3gb back down @ $200

1971 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo