Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1708 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout Turning 20: Get a Free Copy
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 02:41 Mordecai Walfish

OpticNerve wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 22:06:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 19:28:
So I've been playing this for a couple hours today and was thinking about using an autohotkey script to change some of the hotkeys around. Wanted to ask first whether there are going to be any areas of the game that require typing before doing this though, for passwords, puzzles, etc.. Any Fallout vets care to chime in?

It's been a while since I've last played Fallout but I don't think there were any instances of typing required. If I remember correctly, if there was an in-game password needed for a door or something, one of the selectable interaction/conversation options would be something like:
- Input password: flargle
- Punch door.
- Yell at door.
- Make a comment in some random thread at Bluesnews about how shitty the door is because of their political views or gender.

LOL

The only typing required so far after about 6 hours of playtime today has been to name save files and to use the stupid manual NPC chat entry option, which seems utterly useless after a couple tries. Remembered that I already have a quick shortcut key setup to disable/enable AHK, so it doesn't really matter anyways.

Having a lot of fun with my rogue/bruiser. I haven't been able to peel myself away from the game for most of the day. Wondering if thievery was a good option to go with though.. in the only town I've been to (Shady Sands), I was able to rob the place blind without anybody so much as batting an eye. NPCS just kind of stand there like nothing is going on, even when I'm emptying their bookshelves right in front of them.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 30, 2017, 19:28 Mordecai Walfish

So I've been playing this for a couple hours today and was thinking about using an autohotkey script to change some of the hotkeys around. Wanted to ask first whether there are going to be any areas of the game that require typing before doing this though, for passwords, puzzles, etc.. Any Fallout vets care to chime in?

EDIT: After dying to the same set of scorpions 3 times when trying to reach the second vault, I finally found you can enter the starting vault from the overworld map.. strange I couldn't enter back in through the main vault door in the cave though. Found two computers in the library I could use the science skill on and they gave me 350xp a pop, raising me to level 2! Maybe I can make it to the second vault now. It's been a slow fucking start, that's for sure.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2017, 22:01.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Cuphead Released
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 30, 2017, 01:08 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 21:38:
Back on a CRT with 0ms input latency

Display latency you mean? 0ms input latency is not naturally attainable, lol.

Sounds like you've been chasing the latency dragon man.

The news on the day of your death will read: "They discovered his body with some funky quantum fiber optic control mechanism wired into the fingertips, while also mainlining ultra-rapid electrical pulses (simultaneously in the arms, neck, and scrotum) to heighten reaction time, as the cranium was bombarded with sub-millisecond photons through a cortex stimuli augmentation helmet that skips the 'inferior' ocular organs completely in order to attain the lowest latency chain possible."

Don't be that guy. =P

All joking aside, being able to measure display lag in nanoseconds again would be pretty fucking sweet. 120+ hz LCD is nice, but still pales in comparison to what is/was possible with CRT. Could quantum processing change this when/if it is ever a mature consumer technology? Maybe. Most of that display lag is from the image processing chain, so perhaps it is the only hope for these types of displays.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2017, 21:41 Mordecai Walfish

I have to admit here that I've never played any of the Fallout games. I even own like 2 or 3 of them on steam, from the bethesda quakecon packs that were stupid cheap. I think I'll start with this, as I love top-down isometric RPG's from the era this was released. Spent wayyy too much time with a small handful of them though (Ultima VII especially), so never got to experience a couple of the gems that others adored, like Fallout.

Thanks for the heads-up on the FIXT mod too, Mashiki. That seems to be like a good addition to playing the game properly after reading up on it over at ModDB. Upon further inspection, that is actually the 5th most popular mod (out of over 30,000) on the entire site. Impressive.

At this rate I should probably get around to Fallout 4 by the year 2100, with the assistance a cyborg augmentation or two. =)

News Comments > Cuphead Released
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2017, 21:14 Mordecai Walfish

I love that the difficulty in this game is NES level, and not some dumbed-down modern platformer/sidescroller where you have your balls coddled the entire way through. Great art style too, very original and truly refreshing with all the me-too pixel art metroidvania-types that seem to be churning out at a weekly pace.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 27, 2017, 07:28 Mordecai Walfish

Timmeh wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:05:
TIMMEEEHHHHHH!

Thanks for reminding me South Park is on tonight.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2017, 03:00 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 23:14:
Bill Borre wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 20:40:
Does sexting with a minor result in a prison term nationwide? Seems sort of harsh to me.

Oh yeah. Don't chat or text with a minor and bring up sex. Ever. In fact, don't ever talk to them, just to be safe.

I find it a little over the top the way the US prosecutes this, but on the flipside, we know kids are dumb and terrifyingly easy to take advantage of, so if we don't protect them this way the predators will have a fucking field day.

In any case, this guy is a fucking moron and two years in the slammer MAY do him some good. Probably not, but eh.

He'll spend a couple months behind bars, have some canned statement about going into rehab for his addiction and maybe release a book, and then be back at it, albeit probably a bit more carefully this time. His track record all but proves this outcome.

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
37. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2017, 19:20 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 17:44:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 17:16:
Still dont see any reason to upgrade my 4790k @ 4.8ghz. GPU would be a better investment for gaming at this point, but the only card I'm looking at is the 1080ti, which still costs too much for the performance gain I would get from it. Probably going to take some new game that utilizes the shit out of these new processors to make me upgrade. Cyberpunk 2077 maybe?

Why would you ever upgrade that now?
I am running the same CPU, and built my system January 2016. Since my monitor is only 1080p (though 16:10), it runs anything I throw at it incredibly well. My system before it lasted 5 years. Towards the end it was, well, Far Cry 4 didn't look so hot. But I'd expect this system to last another 3 years before I think about any changes.

Well, I did start with "Still dont see any reason to upgrade my 4790k", so I would definitely agree with this sentiment =) I built mine in Feb 2016, so our nerd cycles are like almost sync'd man.

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2017, 17:16 Mordecai Walfish

Still dont see any reason to upgrade my 4790k @ 4.8ghz. GPU would be a better investment for gaming at this point, but the only card I'm looking at is the 1080ti, which still costs too much for the performance gain I would get from it. Probably going to take some new game that utilizes the shit out of these new processors to make me upgrade. Cyberpunk 2077 maybe?  

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2017, 05:24 Mordecai Walfish

Before UO, I played a handful of BBS door MUDs, and then the MUDs Shadows of Yserbius and its sequels Twinion/Cawdor on The Imagination Network, Sierra Online's "connected theme park". I remember there being a Red Baron dogfighting game on there too, that I played a bit of.  

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 24, 2017, 18:57 Mordecai Walfish

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 14:11:
Still have my Beta CD here somewhere....

Played since beta here too. I especially loved testing the guard perception/detection code when robbing the respawning chests in towns. I was quite the bandit during those times =). Then came Morrowind and I was filling entire Wizard towers with loot after massacring all of it's inhabitants, Sir Lancelot @ the wedding in The Holy Grail style.

News Comments > Gone Gold - South Park: The Fractured But Whole
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 24, 2017, 06:03 Mordecai Walfish

KS wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 19:20:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 03:14:
Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 21:44:
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Anyone want to get high?

I have no idea what's goin' on.

This towel's been mixing Chang Sauce for fifteen minutes. He's clueless!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 22, 2017, 21:17 Mordecai Walfish

Beef Supreme 2020  

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
32. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Sep 22, 2017, 20:49 Mordecai Walfish

Just a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy ( <--this one sold well and is crying about the other copies now) of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a ......  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Synthetic muscle breakthrough could lead to 'lifelike' robots Sep 21, 2017, 21:02 Mordecai Walfish

Another fine breakthrough in Mecha-Waifu technology.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 20, 2017, 02:19 Mordecai Walfish

Crazy that modern politics is so fucking partisan that literally any damn thing that people are against can be attributed in their mind to the opposing political party. Fucking looney-tunes.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 20, 2017, 02:16 Mordecai Walfish

If recent history is any indication, Android makers will be lining up to see how far down our throats they can cram Apple's dick too, with this phone's new "features"..  

News Comments > Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Released
1. Re: Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Released Sep 20, 2017, 02:07 Mordecai Walfish

Almost 2 years in and Street Fighter 5 still doesn't have some of these core features like an arcade mode. Capcom sure is shit nowadays. Resident Evil 7 was admittedly decent though.  

News Comments > Steam User Reviews Change
5. Re: Steam User Reviews Change Sep 20, 2017, 02:01 Mordecai Walfish

No surprise that when one of their own games (DOTA2) gets reviewed bombed, they finally update the reviews system. A nice addition either way though.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 20, 2017, 01:52 Mordecai Walfish

Glad Okinawa rush got funded, looks promising.  

1708 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo