Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1970 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2018, 21:09 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:53:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:27:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/12/grand-theft-auto-iv-removing-some-soundtrack-songs/

Patch just hit today, removing and replacing many of the songs in the game.

I wonder if someone will patch them back in.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/26/save-the-last-dance-gta-iv-axes-50-soundtrack-songs/

Someone is keeping tally of what's missing and apparently the count is 50+ songs removed. That's a pretty significant part of the soundtrack!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2018, 13:27 Mordecai Walfish

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/12/grand-theft-auto-iv-removing-some-soundtrack-songs/

Patch just hit today, removing and replacing many of the songs in the game.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2018, 13:03 Mordecai Walfish

Another interesting thing about the 396 drivers, is not only are they dropping support for 32-bit, but they are also dropping support for the once-mighty Fermi architecture. I still have a GTX 480 in my old AMD Phenom 2 Dual-unlocked-to-Quadcore rig, still going strong. In the Winter months you can use that rig as a space heater, as a bonus =)

So GTX 400 and 500 series are now officially at the end of their driver-support lifecycle.

Upgrading from an 8800GT/SLI to a GTX 480 was pretty cool at the time. The upgrade from a gtx 480 to 980ti felt much more awesome though.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers Apr 25, 2018, 23:36 Mordecai Walfish

Fixed Issues in this Release
----------------------------

[GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][Doom]: The game crashes due to the driver reverting to OpenGL 1.1 when HDR is enabled. [2049623]

[GeForce GTX 1060][Far Cry 5]: The game crashes after a few minutes of game play. [2096077]

NvfbcPluginWindow temporarily prevents Windows from shutting down after launching a Steam game. [2068833]

[Firefox]: Driver TDR error may occur when using Firefox. [2049523]

[GeForce GTX 1060][Rise of Tomb Raider]: Flickering/corruption occurs when opening the in-game options UI. [200351146]

[NVIDIA Control Panel][SLI][Diablo III]: With V-Sync on and SLI enabled, the game freezes after switching windows (ALT+TAB) a few times. [1951584]

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2018, 18:21 Mordecai Walfish

Darks wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 13:32:
it will also be the fastest game ever to die.

Lawbreakers would like a word with you

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2018, 13:12 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 10:53:
Kind of a dick move by Microsoft, but well within their legal rights, and some would even say obligation.

It was a pretty dumb move using Microsoft and Dell logos on these discs.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 17:53 Mordecai Walfish

Saw a video of Joe Rogan talking about Quake today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mo-aV60xA

Apparently he was pretty big into it back in the 90's, knew about Thresh and was talking about a T1 line he had installed in his home because of how addicted he was. He proceeds to start planning on turning his secondary studio room into a LAN party area. Completely out of left field lol.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 17:42 Mordecai Walfish

It's no surprise Skyrim is still selling so well, with excellent mods like Project AHO still coming out.  

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
2. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 22, 2018, 15:26 Mordecai Walfish

Valve said they'd be releasing games again.. just not making them, it seems.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2018, 15:20 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 10:55:
CTF still rules IMO.

Agreed. Best fun I've had in online multiplayer is Q1/Q2 Ctf/Threewave/Thunderwalker. I loved all of it.

Maybe with how successful games like pubg are, while simply based on an empty shell of a multiplayer mode.. we can get a proper CTF standalone game that hits home. Even halo CTF was ridiculously fun at times with the vehicles and crazy map layouts.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2018, 14:47 Mordecai Walfish

Immensely satisfying video of your typical asshole driver getting instant karma:

https://i.imgur.com/WEx4GiZ.mp4

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 01:38 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 18:54:
aside maybe emulated ;p (Last of Us comes to mind)

RPCS3 is making great strides lately. I too never got a chance to play Last Of Us, Or Ni No Kuni, or Journey.

News Comments > Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2018, 01:32 Mordecai Walfish

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 22:56:
I'm one of those idiots from all the way back in something like 2013...

Idiot #7504 checking in. Backed for $35 maybe a day after the kickstarter went live.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:51 Mordecai Walfish

This high refresh rate option means you can now take full advantage of displays with 120Hz capabilities.

.. with console games that are usually capped at 30 fps

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:47 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 13:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 21, 2018, 11:48:
As more people go online and more iots devices get into consumer hands the "lack of IPv4 addresses" will definitely be a thing. If is inevitable.
Someday, sure -- but not any time soon. Basically it is NOP. (not our problem)

It became *my* problem when I randomly discovered a bunch of shit was acting haywire/not working, and spent hours troubleshooting until I found out I was quietly switched over to that Carrier Grade NAT bs, which only exists because of the "lack of IPv4 addresses" issue, whether imaginary or not.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 13:39 Mordecai Walfish

RE: Avicii

Lived fast and hard. There is a movie about overindulgence in "the scene", called 'It's All Gone, Pete Tong'. Good flick.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2018, 11:24 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 21:40:
Oh, additionally FWIW (possibly not much) -- I have an acquaintance who owns/runs a medium to large privately owned ISP in the Chicago area. And his personal spin on this topic is the "lack of IPv4 addresses" is unlikely to ever be an issue. There are so many chunks that people are squatting on, and so many devices being assigned real IPv4 that don't need them.

There are a number of hacks in the works at isps to alleviate this issue somewhat, like "Carrier Grade NAT", which my ISP recently started using.

This is a direct negative consequence of not switching to ipv6 sooner, as carrier grade NAT is prohibitive in a number of different ways. The way carrier grade NAT works, it could switch your IP address multiple times a day, and break simple things like port forwarding. This conflicts with running a home/remote server as well.

I had to call and discuss issues I was having with my internet with my ISP to find out they had switched to this recently, and it was the source of the issues I was having. They switched me back to standard upon request, but they ask for a reason when you do this. I simply told them I stream media from my home computer to my portable tablets/devices and needed proper NAT for this to work properly. No problems since.

I looked in to it, and many carriers across the country are switching over to patchwork solutions like this, and this is indeed a cause for concern with the limited abilities of solutions like "Carrier Grade NAT".

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 11:11 Mordecai Walfish

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedeals/comments/8dkflg/_/

Free copy of Witcher 1 in gog if you sign up for gwent and link to your gog acct.

Already have a European boxed copy, but having a gog backup can't hurt

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Rupture Map Freed; Shock Operations Plans
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2018, 08:04 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 16:35:
Slick wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 16:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:53:
The problem is that official servers run all maps in rotation, crashing "non season pass players" violently out of the game randomly, and that is also why I quit playing BF1.

Compared to BF4 it's inferior in every way.

Ps.: This is the real reason
https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/insights/population?days=-1

Exactly, the tail-end of these releases are dismal. Because 90% of people who will buy a season pass probably do it in the first few months, and then there's no real continuing revenue stream after 6 months from launch.

I will say though, BF4's Naval DLC expansion fucking killed me. It was set it a tropical paradise with hovercrafts, heli's jets, and fucking AIRCRAFT CARRIERS. With a full hommage to the "Titan" game mode from 2142 in it. And guess what? 2 months after that DLC came out you LITERALLY couldn't find populated servers playing ANY of the maps from that DLC (on PC at least). That shit enraged me to no end. The players didn't even have enough time to figure out how to properly PTFO in that "titan" mode with teh carriers before the numbers dropped to 0. SO AGGRAVATING.

Yeah, if you wanted to play any non-standard conquest or rush game-mode you had a problem in BF4 even before it went free. Though you can still find many servers even today, most of them won't have the naval dlc support activated though since server would be dead if it switched to that non conquest game-mode

I remember these issues going back all the way to Battlefield Bad Company 2 even, with the vietnam expansion pack. They absolutely murder their games by segregating the playerbase like this, and is one of the core reasons I have not bought a battlefield game since 3. You will download all of this wholesome expansion goodness, whether you own it or not, but you can only unlock it by purchasing season passes and other fuckery. No thanks.

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2018, 11:51 Mordecai Walfish

theglaze wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 09:52:
At least EA has extensive technical knowledge with creating extremely large maps, supporting large player counts with intertwined gameplay mechanics, and operating the network infrastructure to support all that.

PUBG and Fortnite play cluncky and unpolished, partly because of the comparison to the standard EA has put forth with Battlefield, Battlefront, COD, etc.

*awaits a beheading for extending a compliment to EA*

Best compliment I can think to extend to EA is that they didn't create COD.

1970 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo