Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1707 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 15:31 Mordecai Walfish

As far as I'm concerned, every day is mental health awareness day in the country I live in right now (USA). Whether considering my own mental health or the mental health of the raving band of dipshits who are in office currently, it's been a daily topic for a long while now. When most of the country gets its regular "counseling" from our diseased media outlets or various religious organizations (which, admittedly are not all completely terrible), we are in some seriously difficult times in this country right now. Cheers to those that are trying to stay sane, and help others do the same, in whatever (hopefully healthy) ways you can.  

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 13:20 Mordecai Walfish

Santorum truly is "a frothy mixture of lubricant and fecal matter left as an occasional byproduct of anal sex."  

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 8, 2017, 12:24 Mordecai Walfish

Family = religious pandering

Liberty/freedom/patriotism = increased surveillance

Defense of = limiting someone else's rights

Simplified = normalizes extremes with moderates (such as the ultrawealthy being in the same tax bracket as upper middle class)

We live in some OrwellIan double speak political sphere where we communicate via dog whistles to our base with a morally defensible title. The meat will always be offensive, but the title seems so innocuous. It's becoming a whole separate language that feels so disingenuous.

†††††††††

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Adding Other CapCom Heroes
2. Re: Dead Rising 4 Adding Other CapCom Heroes Oct 7, 2017, 19:10 Mordecai Walfish

That MegaMan costume reminds me of the original NES box art that was used for the US release: http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/37/98/d3dccf401c36c0f9632c23c719eb80f6.jpg  

†††††††††

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 18:30 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 18:23:
Doing the Darth Maul "arcade" mission now, (SP vs bots)

GODDAMN this game looks good. Maul's animations are grrrreat.

Be sure to let us know when the full review is ready, Tony The Tiger. Mad

†††††††††

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:54 Mordecai Walfish

"winkyface!"  

†††††††††

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 23:33 Mordecai Walfish

I wonder how long they've been patiently waiting to use this headline?

Probably just about as long as our resident Gaping-Elf has been sitting on that doozy he unleashed here too =P

†††††††††

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 23:24 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 22:45:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 22:09:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 18:48:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 16:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 16:01:
But if you got the bucks and the wife approves a new system, by all means get it!
Keep in mind, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Looking at the pricing of the new Intel chips I'd personally go with that new 8600k

Yeah, I hear Redeye about supporting AMD, but that 8600K is a gaming beast for the money. Especially for getting the frames for VR. Ima try a new graphics card first though for sure.
Ouch, Intel Core i5-8600K Overclock at 5.2GHz with 3600MHz RAM Speed, that's gonna put the hurt on Animals Making Devices.

Kyle is chubbing up a little (actually i'm getting a little tumescent myself) showing stability with Prime95 at 5.2 GHz
And that's on AIR before delid.

Jeez. Yeah, TechPowerUp was complaining that they got unlucky with their 8600K since they could "only" get 4.8 Ghz out of it on air.

Still you gotta wonder how long that proc is gonna last at 5.2GHz.

As long as the voltage isn't fucking ludicrous, and they used a better cooling solution than air (they were hitting 88c in that example), then there wouldn't be much concern for lifespan. Running on air at those temps would almost certainly shorten the life of the chip though.

EDIT: upon further inspection, one of those screenshots is running at a completely reasonable 1.344v, which could be cooled reasonably by air and not pose a significant risk to the lifespan of the chip. The other is running at 1.440v which is indeed ludicrous-level for air cooling and not recommended for anything less than custom water or more extreme cooling methods.

I wonder if there were issues @ 1.344 after running for a while and they could not hit 100% stability until 1.440 on the vcore. I hear that 1.35v is the magic number to stay under with these chips before you start getting into the realm of shortened lifespan.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2017, 23:54.

†††††††††

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 23:01 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 20:36:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 18:23:
The amount that Windows Defender slows down your system is ridiculous, and there are free options out there that perform much better. AV-Comparatives and AV-Test's conclusions are both pretty clear on this point, but for some reason people still recommend Defender. It makes no sense to bog down a fast modern PC with something like that, when much better free alternatives exist.
On all the systems that I have installed either Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender, and it's a bunch, no one has noticed a difference nor complained.
Plus MSE works fine on my laptop & desktop, and I demand fast toys.

Pigeon, there is no need to fear the ferryman, it will get you to the other side.

The subjective "nobody noticed" benchmark isn't really valid with the speed of modern computers. Many people run bitcoin miners without noticing them for months/years as well. If you truly care about getting the most out of the computer you've paid a bunch of money for, I would say that objective analysis of the performance for something like an Antivirus program is important.

Most recent performance tests from AV-Comparatives: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/avc_per_201705_en.pdf

Basic tasks like file copying, installing applications and web browsing take a significant hit on PC's running Windows Defender. There is no reason to slow your computer in this way unless you are too lazy to install a decent AV.

†††††††††

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 18:23 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 17:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:53:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:33:
Anyone have recommendations for an antivirus program? I've been using Bitdefender, which has worked well, but they really pissed me off when I renewed last year and I have no wish to support them any further. I was considering using just Malwarebytes, I run script blocking, and uBlock on my browser so Iím reasonably protected from web-based attacks, but Iím not averse to additional protection in that area.
You would probably be fine with Microsoft's free offering combined with Premium Malwarebytes, it's what I use. (it is almost impossible to find the lifetime license for mbam since they discontinued that option ~4 years ago, sniff).
Malwarebytes does not recommend using just their protection by itself. A smart user who kept their system updated could probably get away with it, but there is always somebody smarter on the other end who wants to {-f-} your shit up.

Kaspersky has a free av option that is not supposed to have advertising.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
https://www.av-test.org/en/

That sounds like the best option. The only problem I've had in years was CCleaner, and even then I didn't have the registry entry that was supposed to be indicative of the malware. I deleted it anyways.

Avira has the best performance/detection ratio out of the free AV options, currently. They have pop-up ads in the taskbar, but you can eliminate those completely with BGPKiller.

The amount that Windows Defender slows down your system is ridiculous, and there are free options out there that perform much better. AV-Comparatives and AV-Test's conclusions are both pretty clear on this point, but for some reason people still recommend Defender. It makes no sense to bog down a fast modern PC with something like that, when much better free alternatives exist.

†††††††††

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 17:20 Mordecai Walfish

DS4 is the most versatile controller for PC, and the best feeling one IMO. The article is incorrect that it "requires" third party software, as you can literally plug-and-play with many titles out there (ones that support directinput) like GTA V, Street Fighter 5 and Rocket League. Steam has support for DS4 integrated but I do not like their needlessly confusing system for controller support, requiring you to go into big picture mode options menus for something that should be built into the standard client cleanly. Inputmapper and DS4Windows work well, and give more options generally than steam's built-in support. x360ce is the best option for 3rd party support, as it results in the least amount of input lag from the emulation layer, but is also the hardest to set up and does not work properly with all games.

Controllers that only support xinput have inherent issues with older titles that only support directinput, and there is no easy workaround for that. GTA: San Andreas is a good example, as you can never use an xinput controller to get proper controls in the game. This is because the triggers are hard-bound to analog controls without the option to use them as standard buttons, as you can do with directinput. Many older games do not play nice with this, so having the versatility to use dinput or xinput is the clear winner in my book.

†††††††††

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 17:10 Mordecai Walfish

IF google wants to ditch the headphone jack in their neverending quest to be just like Apple, then I will treat them just like Apple and not buy their products. Pretty easy choice there. The LG V30 looks like an awesome device, has great audio circuitry, and includes a headphone jack. I listen to music a ton through my phone, so that kind of stuff matters to me, and I don't want to charge my fucking headphones or sacrifice being able to charge my phone in order to listen to music. That shit just isn't consumer friendly.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 04:03 Mordecai Walfish

Pixel might have been a decent choice if it hadn't been for the lack of a headphone jack. Silicon Valley's apparent disconnect from the reality of a good portion of the rest of the world is starkly evident through choices like this.  

†††††††††

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 4, 2017, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 12:44:
How is this company even still legally allowed to operate.... corruption?

The government recently awarded them a 7 million no-bid contract, within the past couple weeks here, so it would appear so.

†††††††††

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
18. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Oct 4, 2017, 15:21 Mordecai Walfish

Meh if it's any good I'll just crack the legal version of Skyrim I already have (bought multiple times too and as gifts as well) and get the mod elsewhere. No fucking way I'm supporting Bethesda's newest "inventive" method of milking it's fanbase. I would (and have) given to the patreon accts of many modders, but will never venture down the avenue that Bethesda is trying to take us here. Fuck everything about this.  

†††††††††

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2017, 16:55 Mordecai Walfish

RIP Tom. It seems today just sucks all around.  

†††††††††

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2017, 14:47 Mordecai Walfish

I had a dream of existing in a post-apocalyptic waste land in which the hardest thing to survive was the narcissistic ego of a man who wanted me dead for acknowledging his nature and avoiding him.. then I woke up and heard about this shooting and I kind of wanted to go back to sleep and deal with the asshole instead. Played a bit too much Fallout 1 this weekend. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten that iguana on a stick, I think it's giving me nightmares.

Not much to say about the shooting as I haven't looked in to it really, and I don't know what facts are known yet besides body counts.. and a friend said "1 clip", though I don't know if that's accurate or not. Shitty all around.. some people expressed relief that it happened at a country concert and not something else, and I think I forever tuned out their opinion at that exact moment today. The wasteland is coming for us all, if we give attention to those who do nothing but seek it at times like this.

†††††††††

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 15:39 Mordecai Walfish

NKD wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 13:04:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 12:14:
Fuck Yeah! Lock Atlus up! Lock Origin up! Lock Blizzard up! Lock Valve up! Crooks, the lot of 'em!

Kill the Coastal Elites!! Rabble rabble rabble

"DEYYY TOOK AURRR GAMMEEEEESSS!"

†††††††††

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 12:14 Mordecai Walfish

Fuck Yeah! Lock Atlus up! Lock Origin up! Lock Blizzard up! Lock Valve up! Crooks, the lot of 'em!  

†††††††††

News Comments > Fallout Turning 20: Get a Free Copy
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 02:41 Mordecai Walfish

OpticNerve wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 22:06:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 19:28:
So I've been playing this for a couple hours today and was thinking about using an autohotkey script to change some of the hotkeys around. Wanted to ask first whether there are going to be any areas of the game that require typing before doing this though, for passwords, puzzles, etc.. Any Fallout vets care to chime in?

It's been a while since I've last played Fallout but I don't think there were any instances of typing required. If I remember correctly, if there was an in-game password needed for a door or something, one of the selectable interaction/conversation options would be something like:
- Input password: flargle
- Punch door.
- Yell at door.
- Make a comment in some random thread at Bluesnews about how shitty the door is because of their political views or gender.

LOL

The only typing required so far after about 6 hours of playtime today has been to name save files and to use the stupid manual NPC chat entry option, which seems utterly useless after a couple tries. Remembered that I already have a quick shortcut key setup to disable/enable AHK, so it doesn't really matter anyways.

Having a lot of fun with my rogue/bruiser. I haven't been able to peel myself away from the game for most of the day. Wondering if thievery was a good option to go with though.. in the only town I've been to (Shady Sands), I was able to rob the place blind without anybody so much as batting an eye. NPCS just kind of stand there like nothing is going on, even when I'm emptying their bookshelves right in front of them.

†††††††††

1707 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo