Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1442 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 11:59 Mordecai Walfish

Nimh wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:49:
Really Blue? Canada has good snipers goes under 'The funnies'?

Any time Canada tries to look serious it always comes across as "the funnies".. nothing new here. Rolleyes2 Rifle

Currently playing: RCRU , GTA:V , Owlboy , Everspace , Dead Cells , Redout, Dirt 4
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC?
35. Re: No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC? Jun 23, 2017, 00:06 Mordecai Walfish

ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 21:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 21:23:
ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 20:22:
The PC vids clearly show recoil. The guy misspoke. Blues message boards are cancer.
Spoken like Stage 4 ass cancee.(sic)

Thanks for proving my point. Keep stepping on the rake I'm putting in front of you.

<edit> Democrat hell-hole Chicago stat update:

June to Date
Shot & Killed: 55
Shot & Wounded: 217
Total Shot: 272
Total Homicides: 61

Fuckin' Obama

Currently playing: RCRU , GTA:V , Owlboy , Everspace , Dead Cells , Redout, Dirt 4

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2017, 23:12 Mordecai Walfish

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 13:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 11:00:
LA Noire remaster skipping the computer, pc gamers everywhere rejoice.

It's likely that the remaster is basically the graphical increase the PC had over the console versions when it came out.

The spider man article is disappointing, but expected. Open world games are an astounding juggling act, any one component will hold the entirety back, much more so than level-based games.

Dealing with those weak AMD cpu's in current gen consoles is the biggest obstacle holding back current gen games.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 21, 2017, 22:55 Mordecai Walfish

so they replaced the specific colors with specific color ranges. it should take all of a week at most for new bots to come out that will be able to overcome this.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2017, 18:00 Mordecai Walfish

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 21, 2017, 10:58:
The fact that there are still humans alive that are unintelligent and willfully ignorant enough to believe that climate change has nothing to do with us is incredibly disturbing, today put it mildly.

Agreed. It's far past time that people wrap their heads around the fact that science is a valuable tool for looking after the survival of most life on this planet. Republicans and religious zealots on the other hand, not so much. It's bad enough to have absolutely blind Faith in your white space wizard, but now they are putting that same faith in very corruptible humans in offices of power. I don't see any scenario where this ends well without massive conflict, unfortunately

P.s. RIP, P. Grew up on the east coast and really liked mobb deep's infamous album back in the day. 41st side and Queens Bridge at it's finest.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
40. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 18:27 Mordecai Walfish

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 19, 2017, 14:50:
This analogy above doesn't really work if the developers never mentioned mod support.. If they didn't, well it's not exactly a feature to base marketing off. I'm too lazy to do my research on it

They have never openly supported or mentioned modding as a feature for any of their (3D) games.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 19, 2017, 11:01 Mordecai Walfish

Xero wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 23:56:
Ok, f**k me. I just put my brain together to see if Ori 2 was revealed at E3 and it was. No f**kin wonder.

THANK YOU AND BRING IT!

The animation and seamless integration of background and characters in that Ori 2 trailer was breathtaking. Probably my most anticipated game from E3.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
34. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 10:53 Mordecai Walfish

Malicious modders are definitely an issue, but if you just join a large crew that has open enrollment, you can just enter into crew sessions and not worry about most of this stuff. The modders you see in those lobbies are generally only helpful and spawn cars and stuff in for fun, and if someone malicious happens to slip through, they get removed from both the crew/session pretty quickly.

Besides, in the latest update they added the friggin Groove Champion to the game. I cant get the paint job exactly right, but the body style and mounted guns are spot on. The biggest new addition is the rocket bike though.. I couldn't be happier with the gun running update unless they added single player dlc along with it. The rocket bike brings things to the next level. I don't even hesitate to take on hydras with that thing.

I feel for the modding community and openIV, but they are not the reason why a vast majority (95%+) of the players bought the game and continue to play it.

Slashman wrote on Jun 19, 2017, 10:38:
So the shutdown of a mod tool for GTA4 causes a flood of negative reviews for GTA5? Stay classy modern day gamers.

OpenIV is a tool for modding the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine, not for any particular game. It got started with GTA IV, hence the name.

News Comments > Origin Access Free This Week
4. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Jun 11, 2017, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 14:38:
Hrm, probably going to be a marked increase in BF1 cheaters for awhile.

It didnt show BF1 as an available game for this, so that shouldnt be an issue.

News Comments > Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer
5. Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer Jun 10, 2017, 19:45 Mordecai Walfish

Alamar wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 16:08:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 11:18:
Between this and Dead Cells, metroidvanias are getting a LOT of love in the near future.

Can't wait to give this one a try.

Thanks for mentioning Dead Cells... Had never heard of it, but looks interesting, and is now on my wait list : )

I had only first heard of it about a month ago and have been trying to spread word about it since giving it a try in early access.

It's coming along quite nicely. The music, art style, animations and gameplay are all very well done.

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
7. Re: AMD Drivers Jun 10, 2017, 16:03 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 13:39:
Thank you, WaltC and Mordecai, for the additional info! That was above and beyond what I'd hoped to learn and those links will keep me busy for quite a while as I venture down the dark path of 'AA'.

I plan to soon start building a new system, with either a x299/CoreX or x399/ThreadRipper base (depending on which comes out with the better price/power ratio) and a nice 1070/1080 or 470/480/580 with as much VRAM as I can possibly afford! I'll probably keep my monitors though unless I find a good deal on a gSync/144hz/200hz panel. Since it won't be until closer to the holidays, I'm sure they'll be plenty of deals to take advantage of. For now, I'm just trying to weigh in on the stuff I don't know and am curious about and stuffing as much tech information in this aging brain as possible!

Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate it! Thumbsup

=-Rigs-=

NP. I kind of answered your direct question with some rather general information about AA, but that is because you are considering using some resource-heavy solutions (8x MSAA) to do stuff that can be achieved with less overhead using other varying methods. Seeing fps graphs with relative performance hits and direct visual comparisons of the different methods is a great way to wrap your head around which AA is going to be the best choice in your particular situation, IMO.

At the same time, it also becomes slightly more complicated because every game utilizes these AA techniques differently. I think the supersampling (SSAA) in Rise of the Tomb Raider, for example, looks absolutely terrible compared to even running it with AA off. It creates a weird blur on the screen, likely because of whatever filter they implemented when downscaling the image. There is certainly not a jagged edge in sight, but there is also noticeably less detail in every texture of the game, and the plants start to take on this blurry appearance instead of having any sharp details to them as well. (the last link in my previous post has examples of this that you can see for yourself). One of the key benefits of supersampling (SSAA/DSR/VSR) is that you can get considerably more detail in a scene (because it's being rendered internally at a much higher resolution), so blurring it this much is counter-intuitive and makes the high cost of using a method like this non-worthwhile, IMO) This is also why I stay away from FXAA and TXAA, because they usually sacrifice too much detail in a scene on behalf of eliminating jaggies.

Overall though, the implementations are pretty consistent throughout most titles, with the occasional quirk here and there.

My general order of preference:

#1: MFAA
#2: SMAA
#3: SGSSAA (didn't go in to this one, but it's *very* rarely used)
#4: MSAA
#5: SSAA
#6: DSR/VSR 4x (I personally don't recommend anything besides 4x DSR for 1920x1080 monitors, as it will create a funky pixel aspect/scaling ratio and visual artifacts will occur.)
#7: No AA
#8: TXAA
#9: FXAA

News Comments > Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer
1. Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer Jun 10, 2017, 11:18 Mordecai Walfish

Between this and Dead Cells, metroidvanias are getting a LOT of love in the near future.

Can't wait to give this one a try.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
6. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 09:55 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 00:08:
Asked a (probably stupid) question earlier today in the AMD driver thread but I don't think anyone saw it and it's about to fall off the page, so could someone go back and take a look and maybe give me an answer? Pweety Pwease?! Wacko

=-Rigs-=

Replied, and linked some resources that should help with your question.

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
4. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 09:24 Mordecai Walfish

Rigs wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 06:29:
Wow, I didn't think it was nearly that complicated and I can't say I understood all of it completely but I think I get the jist of it. Supersampling is the bomb, MSAA is (not the) shit. I try to read the in-depth tech discussions when they do benchmarks and stuff like that, I really do, especially when a new family of GPU's comes out but by the time I'm getting to the second or third page, I'm passed out snoring in a puddle of drool on my desk. It's pretty much the one thing I find absolutely mind-numbing about PC hardware. Same with CPU/GPU overclocking.

I appreciate the time and effort to explain it though, much thanks...I don't think I'm gonna get very far super sampling anything with my lowly, long-suffering HD7850/1gb. The good news is, though, that Witcher 3 looks fine to me as is, so I'm not complaining. Even if I grabbed some higher-res textures from Nexus Mods, my poor GPU would struggle to stream them without stuttering, not to mention my poor fragmented hard drives...lol...

=-Rigs-=

http://techarx.com/anti-aliasing-guide-for-starters/

Much of what is in that article was covered in the very helpful post by eRe4s3r, but they do show some example images there. They also talk about TXAA, which is a newer nvidia method.

Something that bears mentioning, if you own a nvidia card, is MFAA. This essentially gives you double the performance for MSAA, and adds a small amount of temporal antialiasing on top of it. It's something you really only need to toggle once in the control panel, and then any game that uses MSAA will automatically apply it. For example, you would set 4x MSAA in-game, and will get nearly the visual quality of 8x MSAA, with a similar/lower performance hit than the original 4x MSAA setting.

Getting nearly 8x MSAA with a very mild (does not blur the entire screen) temporal filter, for slightly less than the cost of 4x MSAA, is my favorite option to use in games currently. I cannot stand the screen blurring AA's, as it looks like you're downgrading the texture quality for the entire game by applying the filter. This includes FXAA and TXAA. I will generally go without AA in games that only allow blurry AA types, unless the jaggies are very distracting.

Here is nvidia's explanation of MFAA, if you are interested

The higher your resolution, generally the less AA is necessary. And yes, a 1080ti would chew through 8x MSAA at that resolution with ease compared to the card you currently have. I would still recommend 4x MSAA with MFAA applied instead of straight 8x MSAA though.

Supersampling (SSAA) is generally only useful for games that are very old or not graphically demanding. A similar effect can be had by using stuff like DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution, on AMD referred to as Virtual Super Resolution), which essentially is super sampling, and has a massive performance hit. Supersampling can introduce some visual problems of it's own as well if set up incorrectly, and IMO is generally not worth using because of its massive performance impact. Many newer games have a "resolution scale" slider which essentially is the same thing, but more granular and better suited for the particular game, generally.

To really dig in and understand how the different AA types stack up against each other, I would honestly recommend using nvidia's interactive screenshots that allow you to apply the different types of AA by moving a slider back and forth in your web browser.

They have two scenes given for example there, the first of which showcases edge AA, and the second which shows 2d/transparent object AA, like for foliage in games. Look at how the image is blurred with some methods vs others.

This article is specifically for GTAV optimization/settings, but the AA section covers the most popular AA types that are in use currently. There are relative performance charts just below the interactive images that will show you how they stack up against each other for resource usage/FPS.

SMAA is not mentioned in either of the articles linked above, so I should probably mention here that it is a great quality shader-based AA method that is less resource intensive than most other methods, and provides a great looking image. In many newer games, SMAA is the best option you can choose, for example in Overwatch, where MSAA is not even an available option, but the SMAA implementation is top-notch.

And lastly, here is a link that has interactive comparisons of different AA types (including SSAA 4x) in a variety of different games, along with performance charts to show their hit to the system.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2017, 10:04.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2017, 12:03 Mordecai Walfish

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 8, 2017, 21:56:
I have a box of I7's people thought were suitable for overclocking. Those liquid cooled gas setups are outrageously expensive. There are few good water cooled systems and many that are not. Make sure if you use one it has a lot of good reviews. Unfortunately most reviews don't take into consideration longevity.

Box of I7's eh? Any of them still work or are you saving them for some reason?

Last I heard swiftech was the rock-solid go-to for AIO liquid coolers. A lot of the larger brands actually just rebrand swiftech coolers and sell them as their own.

I personally use a noctua nh-d15 and am 100% satisfied with both its performance and the fact that there is no liquid being shuffled around in my case, however well contained it is.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Gunrunning Update Next Week
8. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Gunrunning Update Next Week Jun 9, 2017, 11:53 Mordecai Walfish

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 09:33:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 06:33:
Retired wrote on Jun 8, 2017, 23:22:
They stop hacking and cheating yet? Would like to get back in if they have.

No, and they never will stop it. The online multiplayer is P2P and they will always be fighting a losing battle on this front. Hackers are much less malacious now though, with the most common one I see lately being bundles of $50,000 dropping for everyone on a server every 1/2 second. Prolly not a good idea to stockpile too much illicit cash though. Spend it quick in case r* wipes your money.

EDIT: just to clarify, this isnt as threatening as it sounds. R* only does that for people who heavily abuse the system and spawn in money.

I stopped playing again for the second time because of fucking hackers. This time, some prick stole double digits millions from me that took months to amass, in about three seconds. Since it's impossible to earn any real money in this game, and everything costs so fucking much, fuck this shitty game.

If the netcode weren't garbage tier peer to peer, where clients can actually dictate what's happening on other clients, and instead, most of it was handled server-side, we wouldn't have 10% of the hacking problem we have today. It really ruins the game.

Yeah it's pretty much the wild west out there. Again, haven't seen many malicious cheaters lately, but I do know of the cheat you are talking about that was being used for a short amount of time. Rockstar support reinstates that money to your account if it was obtained legitimately, you just have to contact them. Otherwise you can just keep joining public sessions until you get into one that has the $50,000 indicator the top right corner, and just stick around for a couple minutes and you will have 10+ million in your pocket. About 1/5 public lobbies I join have the money dump going on, it seems.

People keep saying "have they fixed the cheating problem yet?" on forums and all over the internet, but it simply isnt going to happen without them re-doing the entire multiplayer structure of the game, which isn't going to happen. GTA6 is the only hope for a better implementation. With how much they make from this franchise, it's mind boggling that they would not shell out for proper multiplayer infrastructure, but this is their first foray into wide-scale online multiplayer in GTA, so there is much they are learning from it along the way, I would assume.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 for Free
14. Re: PAYDAY 2 for Free Jun 9, 2017, 11:43 Mordecai Walfish

Wash Washburne wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 09:42:
What I find interesting is that the game size is about 19GB in total, tho there isn't really much to the game and it still looks like something PS2 puked out.

Last ditch moment to boost their numbers?

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 05:40:
There is almost nothing worse than hipster beards. There are people who sport really impressive beards & manage to wear them well, but they are few and far between.

https://goo.gl/images/FBdIsl

Its because of the giant high resolution videos included with the game, which was not an issue when on BLU-RAY, but on downloadable versions of the game was never properly compressed. Kind of like that audio bullshit from the first titanfall. They're probably shoveling in all their DLC along in that package now too, whether the user owns them or not.

News Comments > Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Released
2. Re: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Released Jun 9, 2017, 08:43 Mordecai Walfish

Now THIS is how you do a remake! Picking up on GOG for sure.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Gunrunning Update Next Week
5. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Gunrunning Update Next Week Jun 9, 2017, 08:42 Mordecai Walfish

Retired wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 08:22:
A side note, some time ago I made Blue the President of the BN group - so he has full control.

I didn't know you were the crew leader before. Does Blue even play GTA?

News Comments > Fortnite Early Access Next Month
8. Re: Fortnite Early Access Next Month Jun 9, 2017, 08:38 Mordecai Walfish

Rhett wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 06:54:
Unless things changed DRASTICALLY, which I do hope, in the last few months... This game won't last long. Can't say much due to NDA, but it's been quite underwhelming all along development, as if they just didn't know how to make it "fun". Like fifty different systems all crammed on top of each other, fighting for your attention.

It's also been in alpha since December 2014, and they've been struggling the whole time.

Certainly a neat concept, but this is actually worrisome that they're pushing it out now.

That was my main gripe with the game too. The fun-factor was almost completely missing.

1442 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo