Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2192 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2019, 08:59 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 06:11:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 04:03:
Slick giving us the bi-minutely (is that a real word?) twitter updates on how he digested this post to start off the comments

Fuck, I had just woke up from a nap. You got me. Stream-of-semi-consciousness garbled transmission.

I just thought it was funny how you added a new post exactly every 2 minutes to make the first three posts of this thread =)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2019, 04:03 Mordecai Walfish

Slick giving us the bi-minutely (is that a real word?) twitter updates on how he digested this post to start off the comments

MattyC wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 23:23:
Some SMG love (both bug fix and buff types) was much needed, so that is nice.

However, I see no mention of them fixing quit. The fact that it is far quicker for me to kill the task and relaunch the game than it is to get back to the main menu with the given quit option from the freaking post match screen (of all things) is just mind boggling.

with you 100% on this one. mind boggling that using the fastest storage they somehow managed to make the load times when quitting a game feel like a laptop from 2002. just terrible qa all around for this one but thats why everyone is looking forward to this patch so much. many fixes inbound (and probably many more broken things..)

EDIT: played the patch and load times when quitting out are much better! quitting during a match is quicker than quitting after the match is over, but both are a much needed improvement.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2019, 09:00.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 14, 2019, 02:47 Mordecai Walfish

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 14:19:
Yeah, and 29,678 of those are pieces of shit...

Eerily close to my count with 200 in my library and ~150 on my wishlist..

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
15. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 23:35 Mordecai Walfish

I'm still rocking a HTC one from 4 years ago, mainly because I simply will not buy a phone without a headphone jack, SD card support and ideally a easily-replaceable battery. I don't need military grade waterproofing, nor do I give a fuck that it's razor thin enough to chop my fingers off if I grasp at it too tightly.

Give the people what they want, and they will buy your product. Continually remove useful features and functionality for the sake of following 'Apple trends', and you can go the way of the fucking dodo for all I care.

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced
26. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 9, 2019, 21:08 Mordecai Walfish

This press release reads like an audiophile snake oil salesmen trying to get in to the consumer internal audiocard game.

3 yrs ago I bought a mobo with the best onboard audio I could find. It's an msi board with isolated audio ic/components, and my DAC from 6+ years ago still blows it out of the water.

DAC is a Audinst HUD-mx1, so nothing super expensive or fancy.. but it runs both my speakers and headphones at the flip of a switch and sound great on my hifi and my mid-range headphones (send hd598 & ultrasone pro 750's)

Nowadays I only run my microphone through that fancy msi onboard stuff, but I do get compliments on how well the modmic sounds through them, so that's something.

Speaking of which, owners of previous modmic versions, the 5.0 is out now and if you've had a problem or breakage with your previous modmic, they will give you a steeply discounted 5.0, which fixes almost all issues I've had with previous ones.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Microtransactions Ending
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 12:56 Mordecai Walfish

the game had extremely tight control and fun shotguns, but was otherwise not very memorable and many of the characters felt the same and only included for options  

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 12:53 Mordecai Walfish

ItBurn wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:35:
Well if this is Win10 only, I guess I'm not playing it...

It says it supports directx 11, so i would assume older versions of windows would work.

who knows, maybe ms paid them to keep it win10 only even without the dx12 inclusion? lol

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 23:48 Mordecai Walfish

the typical plasma donation "clinic" that pays in the US will give a person who walks in around $20 for ~1 liter of plasma, and then sells that same product for close to $1000.

I would call the morality of a faceless company profiting nearly 5000% on someone's life blood and potential hardships that could make them need that little bit of extra money questionable.

It would be interesting to know how much the same product would cost internally at a canadian hospital. My guess is no more than $400.. and potentially only that high because they have to import a good %

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 23:34 Mordecai Walfish

specs matter. for many people input latency matters. the conclusion has long been in about the superiority of g-sync to different options, yet we're arguing about it here in 2019.

If I can get any closer to CRT level smoothness with my display, i tend to head in that direction. that includes ultra-low persistence strobing modes (currently) and as minimal an input lag as possible.

For people that are still looking for the "holy grail" of displays, that can return to that level of motion clarity and response along with a crisp and beautiful 1080p+ display.. thats what I have waited for a long while. G-sync's capability is closer to this than any other offering, and it (i thought..) is well known.

Either way, we're getting close and it's exciting =) VR displays benefit greatly from all of these things as well. It really shouldn't be a point of contention or pepsi challenge of any kind.. its just facts.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 23:15 Mordecai Walfish

Kxmode wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:17:
That doesn't mean his company is investing wisely.

Let's ignore Battle.net, Origin, and Uplay since those are publisher-only and a requirement to play their games.

GOG Galaxy and Steam are the only big distribution platforms. So unless Epic's platform does something VERY attractive to pull consumers it won't be sustainable. It's like phone apps. Less people download them. Less use them. The same is going to happen with Epic's Store. No one wants to fragment their online game shopping between different platforms. At most, people are willing to put up with 1-2, and at the moment Steam and GOG are the go-to places for that.

their strategy right now is to pay devs to allow them to post freebies of some of the most beloved current games, and it is attracting people to the store, no doubt. They can finance giving away these free games to bolster their new store solely with the profits from Fortnite. They've created a machine to drive their platform and i dont see it losing any steam (no pun intended) unless something happens to make fortnite completely unattractive to gamers of all age groups en masse suddenly. I don't see this happening, so it's interesting to see where this will go.

Just grab some popcorn and perhaps enjoy some freebies along the way.

My opinion of Fortnite has altered drastically in the past many months. I used to loathe the game and its spam building battle royale fuck-fests, but now I appreciate it for some things it is tangibly doing for me as a gamer:

a) Keeping 12 year old kids out of the real games.
b) Free games from Epic as they try to buy their way into the digital distribution industry.

Maybe Fortnite isn't so bad after all? =)

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 6, 2019, 21:10 Mordecai Walfish

This is the Japanese government is expanding regulations to protect game console content and includes adding new data and disturbing the services companies offer.

I think google translate could have done a better job writing that article with its kanji to english translator. Kotaku as a whole would probably be better in every regard if it was run/written by AI instead

News Comments > Twitch Prime Freebies
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2019, 05:53 Mordecai Walfish

If you're a fan of classic nes-style platformers I can't recommend The Messenger enough. I was very surprised by how well that turned out.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2019, 05:03 Mordecai Walfish

Recently played through Detroit: Become Human and man was that a wild adventure.

For people that have played through the game (and those that dont mind potential spoilers), this portion of video from AvoidingThePuddle playing through the game is absolutely fucking hilarious. This is the proper way to play games with QTE's =)

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 20:43:
Anyone given this a go
https://store.steampowered.com/app/653530/Return_of_the_Obra_Dinn/
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/return-of-the-obra-dinn

Yes. Excellent and suspenseful adventure game with a unique visual aesthetic that I personally thought was pretty well done.

If this sounds like your kind of thing, I recommend getting it from GOG unless you're a steam-only kind of guy.

Edit to prevent double post: 2019 brings new innovations in sim technology: a 1hp sim rig!

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2019, 05:44.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2019, 04:32 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 18:04:
LG OLED rocking the world's first true HDMI 2.1 TELEVISIONS!!! WHAAAAT~!

All predictions said that they wouldn't come out in 2019, all the pro reviewers were saying this for the past 2 months, they were all wrong! (probably LG deciding to not leak it to clear out inventory), still HOW GREAT IT IS TO BE WRONG!!!

For ANYONE who's been putting off a TV upgrade for the last X years, this is going to be the time to strike. I'm sooo ohappy.

4k 120hz
13ms latency (!!!) I wonder if this is 120hz mode only, so 32 ms on 60hz?
VRR (Variable refresh rate) aka. the HDMI-spec open-source G-Sync/Freesync technology that all new consoles will have, and eventually all GPUs.
Aut0-low-latency mode, zero processing whenever it detects a gaming source
eARC for those ballers with nice amps and speaker setups.

OMG OM GOM GOMG OMGOM GOM GOMG OMG OMGOM G

So happy ^_^

The only caveat is that this will be the absolute first gen of this tech, and as we all know sometimes it's best to wait until the second gen iteration while they iron out the kinks.... but it's the same panel as the 2018 OLED, which is fuckign amazing, they don't need any upgrades there. If all these HDMI 2.1 features actually work as advertised, this TV will last you 10 years, literally. Next console gen will be 4k, and will last another 8 years easily, and won't be out for another 2 years. Plus 120hz for the mid-cycle console refresh. Anyways, all games will be designed for 4k models, LoD, textures etc for the next gen, and a good future GPU will be able to destroy 4k @ 120hz.

DAMN, IT'S ABOUT TIME.

*edit, only downside is no HDR10+, which is Samsung's open standard. As we don't know what HDR standard the next gen consoles will use. HRD10+ looks very promising (open source Dolby Vision-style metadata, and scene-by-scene adjustments), but there's no way to know what the game developers will decide on. DV is great, but has a fee associated with it.

I jumped on 120hz PC LED monitors as soon as they came out in the early 2010's (BenQ XL2420T), and am still using the same monitor, with absolutely no desire to pay the premium for g-sync and upgrade to what seems to be the next "logical" step for a nvidia owner.

VRR/g-sync really dont mean shit to me anymore, as I can have a better experience than g-sync (less input lag, same smoothness) with my old BenQ monitor now thanks to improvements with RTSS recently that allow a feature called scanline sync.

What this does is essentially cap fps to refresh rate, but avoids the tearing that comes with this normally by modifying the position of the tearing to a position that is in the "overscan" portion of the image that is not visible on screen. Crazy workaround for vsync-like smoothness but without the input lag. Works wonders in 60hz games as well.

with these recent advances in display tech, I feel zero need to buy a g-sync monitor, and freesync seems like its probably the way I will go with the next upgrade.

The only issue with this is in games that have wildly fluctuating framerates, in which g-sync/freesync would still be handy. Luckily this isnt an issue for at least 90% of the games I play.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2019, 04:09 Mordecai Walfish

They already charge American-made prices for the damn things, so this would make the price go up to $2000 most likely. Maybe Trump should become CEO of Apple after his shitty run at POTUS. That would be awesome ^.^  

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2019, 03:15 Mordecai Walfish

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 3, 2019, 14:53:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 3, 2019, 13:35:
One of the changes in tastes Yee points to is that aging gamers tend to gravitate toward more casual and less competitive games. ďPicking up a competitive shooter takes time to practice and a strong desire to compete, both of which older gamers have less of,Ē Yee says.

I would say this, and a lower tolerance for other people's BS during my downtime. It's certainly what killed Overwatch for me, not directly the competition.

I still fire up Overwatch here and there. The last time I played, I was repeatedly owned by a Roadhog, he was just godly with the hook drops. I fell to my death as much as I was shot, all because of him. I couldnít even be mad. But it did make me think itís not a game Iím able to be useful in.

But these days Iíd rather play a co-op PvE game with my dwindling number of friends who still have time to play. Itís why Iím interested in Anthem, and Destiny 2 was even a bit of short-lived fun. We play HOTS prolly once a week. One of the guys bought us all copies of State of Decay 2, which is fun, even if it feels like they cheaped out on some animations.

The only game Iíve played recently that really made me WANT to be better at it is a single player SHMUP called Sky Force Reloaded.

Sky force reloaded is an android game ported to pc/console IIRC. If you want an awesome content-packed single player shmup experience, the best one I can recommend on steam is Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors. It is one of the finest shmups ever made, and the pc port is the best version by far. Includes the entire original arcade game, complete with 4 player dual-monitor support, and also has a custom single player mode that uses a traditional 16x9 aspect ratio and has hundreds of missions/challenges to complete there. It might still be on sale from the winter event on steam, but even at full price you can't go wrong with that one.

News Comments > Metacritic's Best Video Games List
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2019, 20:49 Mordecai Walfish

Awesome list! PC gaming is looking good.  

News Comments > LEGO: Lord of the Rings and LEGO: The Hobbit Pulled
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2019, 22:03 Mordecai Walfish

got both thanks to the posts here notifying they were free over the past month. Thanks Blue & news/deals submitters =)  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2019, 19:55 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 15:36:
JAGUART wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 15:21:
SirKnight wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 12:07:

I've gotten pretty sick of the Win 10 update situation here lately.

I'm sick of the pork they install with each update, from all those nonsense apps (Xbox?, WTF?), to some crap version of Skype, to ridiculous notifications, junk running in the taskbar, etc.

Even when I set Skype not to start at startup, it starts consuming 164MB. Fuck Skype.

I stripped Skype out of my windows 10 iso along with a bunch of other useless crap before I did a clean install last year, and have seen no signs of Skype anywhere. Previously I was running an upgraded 7-10 install and had numerous problems, and bloat.

2192 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo