Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1059 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2016, 13:11 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 10:51:
Coastal peacock spider (Maratus speciosus) Looks like it directing traffic on the aircraft carrier USS Drag Queen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yYC5r8xMI

Jumping spiders are the absolute best. Thanks for the video link!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Drawing Sword From The Back - Is It Possible? Jul 28, 2016, 09:42 Mordecai Walfish

That video about drawing the sword from the back is 8 retarded minutes of some guy who thinks he's doing some kind of swordfighting science with a foam blade.

It requires a special kind of sheath that is open for a particular length (depending on the size of blade/person) on the opposite side that you will be pulling it from.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 13:00 Mordecai Walfish

Post about the LastPass zero-day, which was disclosed to the makers and already fixed:

https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/

News Comments > Overwatch Balance Changes
5. Re: Overwatch Balance Changes Jul 26, 2016, 22:18 Mordecai Walfish

wonder what that 10 meters is in comparison to how he was before the original buff? either way, that sounds massive.  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
114. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 19:53 Mordecai Walfish

I want video evidence of UWP melting steel beams before I will believe any of this. Who the fuck is Tim Sweeney anyway? Sounds like some broadway schmuck to me.

As anyone with half a brain knows, all the good games are on mobile. I don't know why everyone is up in arms about this shit. Back to Candy Crush for me.. you kids have fun. <3

News Comments > Overwatch Balance Changes
1. Re: Overwatch Balance Changes Jul 26, 2016, 19:41 Mordecai Walfish

Watching Surefour steamroll everyone in his path with McCree last night, I'd have to agree that he was a bit over-buffed in that last patch. Good on Blizzard for addressing these things so quickly.  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
87. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 16:55 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 14:37:

Baby, I'm high erryday, don't mean I'm not wrong though.

Again, I'll ask you, when was the last software hack you seen for the PS4? Xbone? Oh right, for all intents and purposes they're un-fuck-wit-able. The irony that the most secure platforms to have a clean competitive match today is on fucking consoles. And that's a sad reality to PC gamers.

Give me the security of gaming on a console, with the hardware and peripheral freedom of PC, and you'll have a real e-sports scene. I don't know if UWP is the way to get there, like I've already said, they have all of their work still ahead of them if they want to prove this platform. But you're a fool if you think that PC gamers don't want a class of app that can't be infiltrated with script kiddies and their ESP aimbot bullshit nonsense.

Like you said, today you are both high and wrong.

The PC has *always* had more hackers/cheaters per game than any console. Also, just because nobody has hacked the actual console to circumvent it's DRM does not mean people are not cheating on those devices.

News Comments > More Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts
3. Re: More Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts Jul 26, 2016, 14:14 Mordecai Walfish

MajorD wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:23:
After not playing GTA V for quite some time, few friends and I were playing about a week ago and had an absolute blast playing these new stunt tracks, along with the original races. It reminded me how much fun/laughs I had playing MP in this game. I noticed they have minimized the hacker fest too.

It is worth jumping in and checking out again if you haven't played the game for a while.

Agreed.

The free content updates Rockstar has given this game are more entertaining than most entire full-retail price releases.

In over 200 races since the stunts update was released, I saw a cheater in one game. Shit's cleaned up massively.

News Comments > Quake Champions Trailer
9. Re: Quake Champions Trailer Jul 26, 2016, 01:50 Mordecai Walfish

I'd also like a disjointed chaotic sequel to quake 1 with rock solid multiplayer. This looks like garbage. Trend-following, trite garbage.  

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2016, 16:03 Mordecai Walfish

jimnms wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 18:50:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 22:07:
jimnms wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 18:32:
Logitech ditched the laser sensors and is now using optical sensors in all of their gaming mice. I had a G5 and G500, which both used laser sensors. Great mice, but they both had weird diagonal tracking issues on certain surfaces. I recently bought a G502 which is optical and it's soooo much better. It has lots of buttons to use for customizing too.

Neither of those mice used laser sensors, they were actually both some of the best optical sensors at their time, and top sellers for Logitech.

Both the G5 and G500 had laser sensors, I still have both of them. I replaced the G5 with the G500 because I thought something was wrong with it, but it turned out to be the tracking problem I mentioned earlier. I used the mouse on my desk for years without a mousepad, but over the years it polished the wood so smooth that it started having problems tracking on it. I bought a mouse pad and it made it better, but moving diagonally caused it to go crazy. I bought the G500 and it had the same problem. I then found a post on the Logitech support forum, and it appeared to be a common problem with those particular laser sensors when using them on certain surfaces. I eventually found a mousepad that it liked, and I still use it. It's a Steel Series hard surface. It feels like a fin grit sand paper, but the mouse slides across it like it's on ice. I believe Logitech now makes a similar mouse surface.

was talking about the MX510/MX518 from the quote you were responding to.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 25, 2016, 13:40 Mordecai Walfish

Only EDF I played was Super Earth Defense Force for SNES, which I remember renting from Blockbuster and thinking was utter shit. It was a Gradius/R-Type clone with copious amounts of auto-aim.

Oh and speaking of GTAV, I've been having a tremendous amount of fun with the new Stunt Racing update. It's the best thing Rockstar has done since they released the game, by a long shot. Looking forward to creating some tracks once the editor tools are released on the 2nd. I'm up to 450 races won currently, regularly taking 1st in 16 player races. It's all about that PS4 controller =)

News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 1 Going Free
11. Re: Life is Strange Episode 1 Going Free Jul 21, 2016, 12:42 Mordecai Walfish

release info for the free episode today:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/756055217154691072/photo/1

Should be available on steam in about 20 mins for free

News Comments > Overwatch Adds New Character
14. Re: Overwatch Adds New Character Jul 19, 2016, 22:20 Mordecai Walfish

theglaze wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 21:39:
Don't blame the tool!

Lots of people are only comfortable with certain heroes, and they try to fit a round peg in a square hole.

Overwatch is compelling because of the diversity in hero abilities and teamwork potential. But it's a complex system, with many variables, and knowing what hero(es) to pick as a team or to compliment your teammates is difficult. Even if you select the right hero to fix the dilemma the team is confronting (stuck pushing a cart, can't stop an offense, struggling to take a point, etc), you still have to be proficient with that hero to make a positive difference.

It's not often the hero that should be blamed, it's the learning curve of rock-paper-scissors and players struggling to grasp that.

Well said. This seriously should be a PSA tooltip on the character selection/loading screen

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2016, 22:07 Mordecai Walfish

jimnms wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 18:32:
VaranDragon wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 13:57:
Why can't Logitech (re)release the MX510 or the MX518? Man, those are legendary mice. I mean those are like the Gibson Les Paul 57' or 59' legendary kind of mice, nothing I've tried since has come close. Seriously, I'm afraid of whats going to happen when my MX518 craps out, I mean I've had it now for like 5 years (probably more), and it's definitely been the best mouse I've ever owned (or tried) apart from the MX510 which is basically the same thing but with a few less buttons. None of the new lazer mice come even close.

Logitech ditched the laser sensors and is now using optical sensors in all of their gaming mice. I had a G5 and G500, which both used laser sensors. Great mice, but they both had weird diagonal tracking issues on certain surfaces. I recently bought a G502 which is optical and it's soooo much better. It has lots of buttons to use for customizing too.

Neither of those mice used laser sensors, they were actually both some of the best optical sensors at their time, and top sellers for Logitech. Pros were buying optical mice like the mx518 instead of their fancy 10000dpi laser crap, because they are just more reliable and consistent. Eventually Logi got the message and dropped the laser crap. Just like why you don't use mice that require batteries/need charging.. they will die at inconvenient times. Getting rid of possible points of failure is more of a competitive thing I guess.. casual gaming need not be so stringent.

The prediction in the 518 was negligible, and hardly effected it's accuracy. The mx518 was overclockable to 500hz, which did make a noticeable difference too. The g400s doesn't have prediction and feels almost exactly the same at a matched DPI.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2016, 13:21 Mordecai Walfish

@Blue

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104838

I am a longtime mx518 user from the days of old as well.

The g400 was discontinued for the g400s, which is essentially the same thing but with a better sensor. Exact same shape and button layout, but goes up to 4000 dpi (software controllable in increments of 50). Native sensor DPI steps are 800 and 2000, where as previously on the g400 it was 800 and 1600. I bought two of these as backups a couple years ago, and they are the best replacement for a ex-mx518 user. They are still available, just a bit pricier than they were a couple years ago (~$40 then)

Edit: After reading an article linked about chinese knock-off items appearing at a heightened rate @ Amazon/Newegg, just want to put out the warning to make sure to vet the seller and if possible, verify with Logitech that they are legit, perhaps checking the serial number with them after purchase and getting a refund from Amazon/Newegg if it is not authentic.

I found another listing that may be more reputable... hard to tell with the way amazon is nowadays though:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G400s-910-003589-Optical-Gaming/dp/B00BCEK2LA

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2016, 13:33.

News Comments > Trials on Tatooine Released
9. Re: Trials on Tatooine Released Jul 19, 2016, 00:58 Mordecai Walfish

Steazy wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 18:39:
Meh :/

Interactions were really basic and honestly pretty boring, lightsaber FX were awesome though trying to bounce lasers back at storm troopers who are 1 pixel tall wasn't super fun. Only having one hand was just... weird.

The intro scroll was longer than the actual demo, combined the whole experience was shorter than the download, so maybe I'm a bit salty

Looked pretty mediocre on an admittedly pathetic 980ti instead of the very reasonably recommended Titan X. Hard to tell where all the rendering power was going because it looked like an early gen XBox360 title IMHO. Frame rate was pretty weak too, my i7+980ti is probably only suited for low quality but I cheated and ran it at medium anyways. Maybe high/ultra looks amazing but I don't feel inclined to sit through a glorified cut-scene again.

Spoiled rotten by Raw Data I guess... actual game play (even the bizarre FTP-esque gameplay in RD) w/ hand controls is just too damned fun.

To be fair ILM doesn't seem to be marketing this as anything more than it is, a well done tech demo w/ Star Wars IP.

Whenever you wanna get rid of that "pathetic" 980ti, let me know. I will gladly pair it with my 980ti if the price is right =) =)

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: Hitboxes Jul 14, 2016, 05:09 Mordecai Walfish

rist3903 wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 01:01:
This is a pretty big nerf to Hanzo. His arrow hitboxes are what they were saying was too large so as to give him a higher chance to hit characters with his non-hitscan relatively slow gravity affected attack. Wonder if they plan to increase his projectile speed to compensate for what is otherwise going to make him pretty unplayable.

if having to actually hit an enemy to do damage is deemed "unplayable", perhaps competitive FPS games are not the right choice for you

News Comments > Overwatch Adding Support Sniper, 21:9, and Competitive Hero Limit
23. Re: Overwatch Adding Support Sniper, 21:9, and Competitive Hero Limit Jul 13, 2016, 16:31 Mordecai Walfish

you two should hop in a custom game mirror match the same character and work some of this aggression out in the game you're arguing over. have some nice soldier:76 vs soldier:76 matches and let your skills do the arguing =P  

News Comments > Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up
23. Re: Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up Jul 13, 2016, 15:02 Mordecai Walfish

They have very good reasons for not allowing this, as it would definitively give players an unfair advantage that is not related only to the FOV.

The point that people are missing to this entirely, is that this game does not function like most other weapon-based FPS games. This one is ability based.

When you have abilities that allow a character to automatically target anyone in their view and basically aimbot them for the duration of the ability, you then have to take into account what will happen when the viewable area is allowed to be vastly larger for a small percentage of players. McCree also has an ult that works like this, and targets anyone in his view.

I wondered for a while why they set the FOV to an arbitrary number like 103, but I believe these viewable-area skills are directly tied to that number, and that is what is used internally for them to work the way they do. For this reason, it is not as simple as saying "oh, every other game does it, an FOV change is trivial to implement! Stupid Blizzard!" They would likely have to re-do alot of under-the-hood shit to make this possible and fair for everyone, and the work vs the benefit for a very small percentage of users, IMO, is not justified.

What options do they have? I guess they could go through the trouble to make it so that the abilities only worked in that 103 FOV even though you can have a higher FOV for 21:9, by making areas of the screen that those skills did not affect, but that would not be intuitive to people who were not aware of it working that way.. it would add a level of jank to the game that Blizzard certainly doesn't want there. You'd have skills that work in slightly different ways depending on a graphics setting. No bueno.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2016, 15:09.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 13, 2016, 00:45 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 10:37:
Sega Saturn CD - Cracked after 20 years

Woot woot!

That video of how much he had to go through and decompile to get an idea of what was going on with their drm was a really good watch.

1059 Comments. 53 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo