Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 1707 (Pro)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Quake Champions Gets Keel This Week
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 12, 2017, 01:58 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 22:26:
https://steamdb.info/app/611500/graphs/ and it's dead.

Many people who are playing QC don't go through Steam, so those numbers are not at all a good representation of the playerbase. Probably only a couple thousand playing regularly, but no way to know without having stats from how many are going directly through the Bethesda launcher as well.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 21:51 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 18:04:
2 questions.

1. What are your ideas on ram speed when it comes to CAS timing and Frequency. For example
DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
Timing 13-15-15-28
CAS Latency 13
-versus-
Speed
DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Timing 17-17-17-39
CAS Latency 17
I would think the low frequency memory would perform just as well as the faster memory due to it's better CAS latency.
Where do you think the current sweet spot/crossover is.

and 2.
I have researched the pagefile "always" question and I can never find a reason that you have to have a pagefile besides 'because'.
Can you point me to where it explains why you have to have a pagefile, especially if you have oodles of unused ram an ssd and a 4 core 4 ghz processor.

For the first question, both of those configurations would perform similarly but the 2133 configuration would probably be the best option. The way Ryzen and intel's new processors utilize ddr4 ram is different, so depending on your cpu/motherboard, you may even have *slightly* better performance with the ddr2400 timings instead of 2133. For gaming you typically want to go for the lowest latency possible, but other desktop applications may perform better with higher mhz ratings.

Best way to be sure, is to test the timings on your pc in the two configurations you are considering, and run AIDA 64 memory tests as well as a gaming benchmark in something that is more modern/demanding with both configurations. With DDR3 ram, going above 2133 made little to no difference, but DDR4 can have a much higher impact depending on your CPU/motherboard. Test it if you are interested at all in finding the best for your particular setup, but both of those are very similar in speed and will have little overall difference. I've tweaked memory timings for years and optimized ram setups to get that last bit of performance out of them. The difference is very minimal, but i did have a good speedup on my old phenom II rig by tightening timings and adjusting some things. It's really up to you whether you find it worth your time to go through all the stability tests and benchmarks just for a *very* minimal improvement though.

For the pagefile question, you don't lose *any* performance by having it enabled, even if you have tons of memory, etc. Some older games/programs will have issues with it disabled because they were programmed to always take pagefile into account. You can roll the dice and disable it and hope that nothing funky occurs, but you literally are not losing any performance by leaving it enabled, just a bit of disk space.

EDIT:

To compare by the actual latency of the two examples you gave:

DDR4-2133 @ cas latency 13 would have an effective latency of 12.19 ns

DDR4-2400 @ cas latency 17 would have an effective latency of 14.17 ns

The formula for this is (2000 x CL) / rating, and going by these numbers you would be better off with the DDR4-2133 @ CL 13 setup. DDR4 3200 ram is commonly sold at CL 16 ratings, so DDR4-2400 @ CL 17 is not very good. the actual minimum frametimes and frame stability are most dependent on the latency of your ram, so going for the lowest number using that formula generally results in the best performance in games, especially when running at higher framerates (90+fps).

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2017, 22:45.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

News Comments > Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Announced
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 20:45 Mordecai Walfish

Pr()ZaC wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 15:20:
You should play the Rainbow editions and Capcom should include them all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74KS-DRUPE

I remember playing the hacked version int he arcade before, and doing pretty much the same thing on the SNES version with game genie. There were so many awesome game genie codes.

Definitely gonna pick this up, there are a bunch of gems in this collection, including SF Alpha 3, which is a truly awesome game. Karin was first introduced in that one I think, and great fun to use with her counters and combo possibilities. Online play and PC day1 release also! Fuck yes.

News Comments > Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition Season 3 Cast Revealed
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 20:40 Mordecai Walfish

deqer wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 13:04:
So stupid...

Stop changing the game, you FUCKS.

Huh? SFV was always planned to have character releases regularly and balance changes to come along with them. Arcade Edition is just the name of the current patch coming in January, and is free for everyone who owns the game already. I don't see where the rage is coming from.. they have had to balance their game repeatedly since day 1, just like all games in the series.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 15:47 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 15:24:
Didn't know Netflix was making a Witcher series. That's got some potential.

I havent read all the books/source material but hopefully they have enough to make it last a while if it does well, without going full retard like The Walking Dead

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 15:16 Mordecai Walfish

That optical illusion is "breaking their brains"?

Its really fucking simple. the lines are shaded differently in the alternating rows, and when the split between the shades is at the apex of the curve, the lines appear straighter than the ones that are not split on the apex of the curves. The shaded sections being in the straighter areas instead of the curved areas gives the illusion. Took all of 5 seconds to realize whats going on there.. not very "brain breaking", but I guess it's just a clickbait headline.

News Comments > SOULCALIBUR VI Announced
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2017, 16:18 Mordecai Walfish

Bamco's been on a roll lately! Perhaps it's helped them a bit that they are largely using Unreal Engine 4 for everything now instead of having to design their own engines in-house as they had in the past. As an added bonus they are generally releasing on PC alongside consoles now as well which is a *very* welcome change!  

News Comments > Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion
16. Re: Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion Dec 7, 2017, 19:03 Mordecai Walfish

Acleacius wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 14:21:
Lmao, how could this possibly be PvE? They are spinning some utter bullshit there.

Zombies, how else?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 18:58 Mordecai Walfish

Huge mega-heist coming to GTA online Dec 12th. flying deloreans, jetpacks, possible conclusion to the 4yr Chiliad mystery. Looks pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/oCZgVGFwKo0

Some mystery force at hand in this one apparently. My guess is aliens

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 01:40 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 22:18:
HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:49:
I don't get why EVGA has so many 1070ti models....they can't bump up the speeds on them, Nvidia locked that down so you can't push a 1070ti faster than a 1080.

? I think you can. They just don't want them clocked that way straight out of the gate.

The big advantage a 1080 has over a 1070ti is that it has 3GB more memory, but other than that, the 1070ti is a goddamn monster of a card. I got the MSI Gaming one, and the thing is COMPLETELY quiet. I'm not being hyperbolic. It is COMPLETELY quiet. While I'm playing a game, I can't hear it. Right now while I'm on the web, I can't hear it.

I turned the fan to 100% to see what it'd sound like, and it's literally barely a whisper. It is AMAZING how quiet they made that thing, especially considering the heatsink weighs like 9000 lbs. (I was seriously worried about the weight of that card hanging in that PCI-E slot. It's the heaviest graphics card I've ever owned.)

My old GTX970 (by EVGA, coincidentally) is a fucking twin-turbo vacuum cleaner compared to the 1070ti.

I have a MSI Gaming 980ti that is similar. Fans don't even kick in until it is over 60 degrees, because of the massive copper heatsink on it, and the fans are dead silent when they do kick in because they are larger and running at low rpm, but still pushing lots of air through those pipes. They make the best air cooling solutions out there for GPUs, IMO.

News Comments > Antigraviator Announced
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 19:36 Mordecai Walfish

I've been playing Redout on and off for the past half a year and it's a pretty sweet wipeout clone. No weapons or anything just racing, but a good variety of tracks and a portal system that combines the tracks together for huge endurance races.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 6, 2017, 02:36 Mordecai Walfish

I still have a Phenom II PC (B55 Quadcore 3.6ghz) that I now use for a media server, and there is no way I'd expect it to run any modern AAA game. I was surprised at how well it ran GTA V on release though, and I bet it would run Overwatch decently, but those are better optimized and scalable than 99% of games out there, especially compared to any UBIsoft title.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 5, 2017, 15:46 Mordecai Walfish

NFL as in Not Fucking Likely  

News Comments > Get World in Conflict Free and Free Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Plans
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 4, 2017, 22:36 Mordecai Walfish

I haven't played any of the Assassin's Creed games, besides one that was on PSP which sucked.

I have World In Conflict boxed still though, excellent game. Brought my 7600gt to it's knees when it came out.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2017, 17:03 Mordecai Walfish

I'm not a big Neil Young fan by any stretch of the imagination, but that music archive is probably the best implementation of such a thing I've seen on the internet. Filled with photos, documents and other info from each recording and laid out in an easy to navigate chronological fashion. Very well put together.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2017, 18:48 Mordecai Walfish

The leveling of the world around your character brought such an artificial feel to progression in the games. Morrowind had some true david vs goliath moments where you could survive if you used strategy and were often rewarded very well for doing so. That is a part of role playing games that I very much enjoy and it sucked having to use mods to restore basic rpg elements to the consolized games that the elder scrolls have become.  

News Comments > Seven: The Days Long Gone Released
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 1, 2017, 23:23 Mordecai Walfish

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 19:25:
Hate comic book trailers that show nothing of the game, content etc.

"Hey guys, for our trailer: lets take our concept art, throw some FX on them, and add a narrator with a panning camera!"

I'm not a fan of this shit either, especially when a game's entire art style is essentially parallax concept art like some kind of flash game.. but this is a small studio's first release so they get a pass. That extra money/time making a good trailer definitely takes a hit to the core game when you don't have huge budgets to work with.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 1, 2017, 22:50 Mordecai Walfish

Wouldnt have been an issue if she would have picked up her trail of poop.

I love how the report went for the "think of the children!" angle. I've taken dumps in people's yards when I couldn't hold it in before, same with taking a piss behind a bush or something. Not really that big a deal IMO, but she could have chosen a better spot than right at the end of that person's driveway, lol!

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 1, 2017, 22:33 Mordecai Walfish

Very cool game. There are so many little gems out there like this, it's hard to keep up with them all! Played Streets of Rogue with a couple buddies over LAN recently, as well as this, and both games are very fun with a solid group  

News Comments > Abandon Ship Won't Set Sail This Year
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 1, 2017, 22:27 Mordecai Walfish

Been playing more everspace lately, which is basically an arcade space shooter FTL. With the expansion that adds a bunch of more content for different alien races and side missions with them, it actually feels much more similar to FTL now. Highly recommended if arcade space shooters appeal to you at all.

Probably gonna pick Abandon Ship up too, the way it's looking.

1707 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo