Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 2048 (Senior)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2018, 04:21 Mordecai Walfish

I've also never used wasd. Right mouse button is jump, thumb on left hand can do most game functions, and i usually rebind right mouse button functions to the side mouse trigger (i have a basilisk specifically for the easier to use side button). never use 1-0 to switch weapons, always bind them around the movement keys always 1 key away for the most important weapons.

I havent even used a standard keyboard for gaming for over a decade now, they're just not made for it with the staggered layouts. That layout is from typewriter days, hardly suited for gaming IMO. Columnar keys (also called ortholinear) are absolutely the way to go. I even felt this back in the day when I first started playing 3d games.. using the numpad block just felt way better than the staggered regular keys. Luckily getting a good mechanical keypad like this is not hard, got the one i have now i amazon for like $60, and considering it would cost $300+ to build my own ergodox style keypad, it was an easy purchase.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2018, 04:26 Mordecai Walfish

Bodolza wrote on Oct 17, 2018, 15:09:
This should tell you all you need to know about the Bing article:

"Anecdotally, it feels less burdened with ads."

I though Wired hired actual journalists?

As someone who is contracted by MS to help improve Bing, I think he had a good number of valid points about its shortcomings. Issues with the presentation of useful information and the overhanded way it can try to keep you in the MS ecosystem instead of directly handing you off to the relevant pages are very valid issues/concerns.

News Comments > NVIDIA 20XX Reviews
36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2018, 07:59 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2018, 04:31:
My card is a few generations old at this point. What's the best way to spend $500? AMD? Current gen Nvidia? Last gen Nvidia?

2070 is around that price I believe, but you could find a used 1080ti for around that price, and I would jump on that before the 2070.

I'm also a couple generations back, still rocking the 980ti, but honestly I dont feel any reason to upgrade yet.

RTX is in it's first iteration, expensive as hell, and AMD is not really competing. Not the best time to buy a GPU, unless youre looking for a good last generation nvidia gpu used, which are in abundance because of the new gen cards coming out. With the new cards, you're paying a premium because of the new rtx technology that is of very limited usefulness to gamers for the foreseeable future, and because of this price positioning, even used cards are going for higher than they should.

Not the best time for an upgrade, and I'd say "wait until we see what AMD comes out with next", but that is a total crapshoot also.

I think the best bet is to wait until the next generation rtx cards or even the gen after that, when the premium (hopefully) will not be as high for this new technology, and perhaps even a bit of competition from AMD will be present.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 13, 2018, 18:56 Mordecai Walfish

Newest windows update:

- deleted device drivers from my system

- broke the context menu "run as administrator" function

- removed taskbar explorer shortcut i had

- broke windows services like windows store and xbox app unless ipv6 is enabled

- reset graphics settings and game settings for windows store games (not all)

..and those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. its been a shit update all around. only nice thing is dark file explorer

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Re: Internet Relay Chat turns 30—and we remember how it changed our lives Oct 13, 2018, 18:34 Mordecai Walfish

Superhero soap operas. My buddy was watching these and they seemed incredibly dull. Maybe I just haven't seen the right ones.

/me smacks you upside the head with a damp trout

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Video
17. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Video Oct 13, 2018, 14:00 Mordecai Walfish

Just keep a psp or phone handy for the train wait, just like real life! Such immershun!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 19:12 Mordecai Walfish

“Unfortunately, we don’t comment on rumors or speculation other than to say that the Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac still holds up,” said an Obsidian spokesperson.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2018, 18:40 Mordecai Walfish

I saw some info earlier that MS was advising people who think they lost data from the last upgrade not to use their computers. they may need to remotely go through the NTFS file record restoration process in some cases apparently, as this is the 2nd tier response if you have system restore turned off, which is pretty much what tier one of their support exists for- to help people use system restore.

Another great ol' clusterfuck for MS.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2018, 14:57 Mordecai Walfish

I've always wondered what Chinese Parents were like.. and now I can buy them on steam! Thanks Gabe!  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2018, 14:42 Mordecai Walfish

Finally got around to watching the 2nd RDR2 trailer.. and damn. It looks like they are making an old west Witcher game, which is awesome. I've decided I am going to refer to the game as RDRPG from now on. Funny how rockstar is gravitating towards cd project red/bethesda type design/event storytelling, and cd project red is now heading in an open city free-roam similar to rockstar design with cars and guns with their next game. Either way, I am 100% excited for both!  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2018, 08:28 Mordecai Walfish

R.I.P. to a pioneering video game musician. Last Gamer did a tribute on his channel  

News Comments > GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2018, 14:51 Mordecai Walfish

shadow warrior won, and is free now =)  

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2018, 03:20 Mordecai Walfish

That new windows 10 update was a mess. Just switched over from my windows 7 install to get it taken care of today, and it broke the ability to run programs as administrator from the context menu (does absolutely nothing now), removed my taskbar shortcut to explorer, and also broke the windows store and xbox app, which refused to connect, and microsoft "support" materials provided 100 "fixes" for, but none worked. Even uninstalling and reinstalling the apps did nothing. After posting about the problem on reddit, a helpful person chimed in within 10 minutes with a solution: enable ipv6. I have had ipv6 disabled since i installed windows 10, as I do not use it for anything currently.. and with this update, that has become an issue apparently, as core microsoft services will refuse to connect to their servers unless you have it enabled, EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE NOT USING IT FOR ANYTHING.

And those were issues I noticed only within an hour of updating, I'm sure there are plenty of "fun surprises" to be found further in this update.

Microsoft Updates have been a nightmare with windows 10. I'm so glad I have the windows 7 install still on a different partition to fall back on/use regularly.

Win10 is apparently still in Early Access. Back to Windows 7 for now; fuck this shit.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2018, 01:25 Mordecai Walfish

Anyone here tried the Sennheiser 58x headphones? Theyre $140 on massdrop right now and i am just about to pull the trigger on them, as reviews seem good. Been using a pair of Ultrasone Pro-750's for almost a decade now and felt like these would be a solid upgrade, and a nice introduction into the open-back sennheiser world

edit: pulled the trigger. To get the $10 discount, just sign up for a new massdrop acct through massdropdefranco.com. If you already have a massdrop acct you can get the $10 off by just signing up a different email address.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2018, 04:29.

News Comments > Windows 10 Gaming Updates
14. Re: Windows 10 Gaming Updates Oct 3, 2018, 00:17 Mordecai Walfish

So they took out the game mode toggle for all games, just so they could add it back and tout it as a new feature? Looks like someone is earning their overtime checks  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2018, 01:46 Mordecai Walfish

Numinar wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 21:00:
Elitism just hurts yourselves. Even the fanciest of Xboxi is cheaper than a good recent video card. You are missing out!

It looks like the shooting might still be a little garbage, whenever you have to base it around slow-mo you are in trouble. Hopefully if they tone down the waves of enemies constantly spawning that RDR had it will be even less of an issue than it was there. The attention to detail looks phenomenal.

Currently playing through RDR on XB1x as part of my hype cycle, the resolution bump does wonders for it. Some parts seem more 2010 than others and some come across as unforgivably clunky but it’s still an astoundingly special game. Like Kerbal or Sea of Thieves, whatever flaws and issues it may have cna be ignored given there is nothing else even close to it in terms of scope and style in that setting.

I also am playing RDR on xb1x, just to catch up, and made the mistake of choosing hardcore mode at the beginning, which really shouldnt be unlocked unless you have played it before, because it relies too heavily on pre-knowledge of the different encounters and thus makes it just too frustrating for a first-time playthrough. Oh well.. only got 5 hours in before i decided a restart on normal was the best course of action.

News Comments > GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2018, 01:36 Mordecai Walfish

Theres a part in the video with a guy wearing a shirt that says "GUNWHALE" and I instantly had nightmarish flashbacks of fighting against "GREAT THING" in dariusburst. <3 GOG  

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2018, 14:51 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 29, 2018, 09:14:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 29, 2018, 08:21:
I think this might be the best game room setup I've ever seen. Holyyyyyy sheeeeit.
He worked in a game store but managed to afford this stuff? Definitely some interesting items there.

He talked about growing up with a sharp x68000, so I'm guessing he comes from a very wealthy family.

2048 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo