Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Choobeastia

Real Name Choobeastia   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Long time gamer who got addicted to Blues News during the wonderful stays that it sat right beside my Stomped bookmark and those of a few other Quake-centric sites.... I miss the Quake guy in the logo.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 16, 2011, 06:35
Total Comments 58 (Suspect)
User ID 56171

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Riot Announces Tactical Shooter and Card Game
6. Re: Riot Announces Tactical Shooter and Card Game Oct 16, 2019, 14:42 Choobeastia

My interest in giving more money to China is incredibly low. I have nothing against the Chinese people and wish them the best, but money sent to China won't help them. The push into American and European media by China is heavily backed by their totalitarian government.

Long story short, anything from Riot (and some others) is a pass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Phoenix Point in September
6. Re: Phoenix Point in September Jun 12, 2019, 04:04 Choobeastia

Kxmode wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 16:45:
Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 11:35:
Oh right, EGS exclusive = hard pass.

September 2020, available on Steam... soft pass. I don't reward developers who engage in deception.

Better yet, buy it through the Humble store and change the amount given to the devs to 0.

News Comments > Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered Announced
6. Re: Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered Announced May 30, 2019, 14:45 Choobeastia

I've been looking for a copy of this for months, because I felt like playing through it again and couldn't find my physical copy. Lo and behold, I couldn't find it anywhere online, even when it used to be on steam. Now I know why... they got rid of it so that it wasn't competing against itself.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
63. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2019, 17:50 Choobeastia

My condolences, to you and yours. It will be a tough time, but take solace in the thought that if there is an afterlife, he and Hudson will be together again.  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Survival Mode Plans
22. Re: Fallout 76 Survival Mode Plans Jan 25, 2019, 19:11 Choobeastia

ldonyo wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 11:07:
Darks wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 10:58:
Clu32 wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 10:54:
did anyone even ask for this?

Nope, I think mainly we have been wanting more content added to the world and the option to host our own servers. None of this forced in pvp bullshit.
In fact, the exact opposite of this has been asked for; the ability to completely opt out of PvP. Instead, they've nerfed weapons and added ambush PvP, err "survival mode".

That has been asked for. And many PvPers have also asked for this mode, as they don't like the fact that people can just log out if they don't want to PvP, or potentially walk away.

Either way, more options isn't a bad thing. Especially if it's optional.

News Comments > Anthem Demo Pre-Downloads
33. Re: Anthem Demo Pre-Downloads Jan 23, 2019, 17:16 Choobeastia

It could be a fun game, it could not be. I don't care enough to try the demo, I'll just wait for some release-state gameplay footage. As it stands, the footage I've seen makes the gunplay look interesting, but the powers (short of the ultimates) look like they are completely lacking in punch.

And while part of me is glad that the team that did ME 1 and 2 are back on this, I also kind of wish they weren't? ME 1 and 2 were good games, but their combat gameplay was rather poor. Here's hoping they worked with some of the Andromeda folks on how to make combat engaging, because where that game failed in RPG and story, it had combat and driving down pat.

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
30. Re: Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required Jan 8, 2019, 17:16 Choobeastia

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 16:50:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:42:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:35:
Well if this is Win10 only, I guess I'm not playing it...
And not even DX12... lol

Yeah this is really weird. I mean a lot of people are still gaming on Win7 machines, so if it's not a DirectX 12 exclusive, what possible reason would they have to leave a good chunk of money on the table? Im guessing that Win10 machines are kind of more like consoles, so they are easier to support? (lol?)

Companies will do that sometimes when the market share on an OS is dropping (as seems to be the case with Windows 7) and has dropped too low. Focusing on a single OS can reduce their QA and support costs a good deal.

News Comments > More on the Star Control Legal Battle
7. Re: More on the Star Control Legal Battle Jan 4, 2019, 22:00 Choobeastia

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 21:17:
All of these clowns need to shut up and let the courts decide. That's all that matters in the end. He said, she said, whatever.

There is a public relations battle taking place at the same time, which can effect the size of their customer bases at the end of it. If both sides would shut up, I'd absolutely agree with you, but so long as Brad is talking, which he is doing constantly, than it makes sense for Fred and Paul to have periodic public comments.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 21:43:
Holy crap, if before I just thought they are misaligned assholes now I think they are malicious fucktards. The entire last paragraph is straight out of some insane alternate reality novel. You couldn't make that shit up if you tried.

They apparently believe they have a copyright on gameplay expressions. Can't wait till a court tells them how the real world works because that's just absurd, if the court gave them a pass on that reasoning the entire games industry would end.

The phrase substantial similarity or striking similarity are important ones from a copyright perspective, as it is very rare for something to be an exact copy. They touched on a few important points of it, such as the use of the term True Space, or Truespace for normal space, a Starship named Vindicator, a crude attempt to appear different by using a remix of the original music, rather than the original music itself, so on and so forth.

Taken individually, or even as a few elements, it wouldn't pass muster for substantial similarity. Taken as a whole, it may.

The courts will decide, but it is an interesting examination of what they had available, and what they chose to go with.

News Comments > Video Game Accessibility Waiver Expires
12. Re: Video Game Accessibility Waiver Expires Jan 3, 2019, 23:45 Choobeastia

In a way, I'm looking forward to this. Some even major game developers have been skating by with barely functional UIs for years. I hope that this will force them to get some UI developers in who will notice things like controller buttons displayed when no controller is plugged in, a lack of a color blind option while using red, blue, and green extensively to differentiate things, and similar seemingly minor issues that create a barrier for entry.

AND, if all goes well, developers may even see more money being made as a result, as people who were incidentally excluded previously may be able to participate.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Available Again
15. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 2, 2019, 23:12 Choobeastia

GothicWizard wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 23:01:
Paul and Fred needs to, as The Rock would say, know your role and shut your mouth. They clearly lost the IP. Get the fuck over it and move on. If SC meant so much to them then where was the next SC game from them before SD got involved? Yea.. exactly. Seems like they want to whine and cry about something they didn't seem to want to do anything with until someone else did.

Well, they were working for Activision, which they claimed stopped them from working on personal projects. As to the truth of that, I'm not certain.

But from a strictly legal perspective, the breakdown provided by Mondosapien does a pretty good job of demonstrating that the IP seems to be in their control. Stardock only actually owns the name of the game, Star Control. Not even the name of the in-game entity Star Control, though they're using it.

13. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 2, 2019, 22:39 Choobeastia

Kxmode wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 22:24:
Choobeastia wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 21:55:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 21:14:
Setting aside the legal shenanigans, please remember Stardock is not EA or Activision. I do believe all the people involved in the project put their heart and soul into this game, and out of love for the original and not to please anonymous shareholders. I'm not calling it mercy money, but $20 is a decent price. Buying from Stardock's site means they keep 100% of the purchase, which they definitely need now.

Actually, I'm uncertain if Steam still takes a cut if Stardock is auto-generating keys. Anyone know?

Brad has a history of telling half-truths, and twisting the narrative to put himself in the best light, and make others look crazy. He also has a tendency to show up places to do so when he's mentioned, as though he spends his day googling himself to find out where to rush in with his special type of "truth."

While I do believe most people at Stardock are passionate about the projects they work on, and Brad may even be as well, I also believe that Stardock is poorly led and represented by him.

It isn't our responsibility to reward them for being passionate about what they do, it's his responsibility as CEO and the public face of their company to learn how to play nice, and keep quiet while the lawyers do their jobs. It's a shame the damage he is doing to his company, and the people who work for him, but I'm sure as heck not going to reward him for it.

Who said anything about "reward?"

Ford and Reiche issue the DMCA takedown against their product on Steam and GOG. So I'm not exactly sure how your last point relates to my suggestion of supporting an independent developer/publisher who isn't a publicly traded faceless corporate giant like EA and Activision. By the way, I started my comment with "Setting aside the legal shenanigans" to explicitly set aside ALL of what you're talking about because it's not relevant to the point of my original post.

Again, you keep using that word "reward." I do not think it means what you think it means.

You focused heavily on the people involved. Their heart and soul. Love for the original. Lack of anonymous shareholders. Was all of that just filler? Because if not, then what you were actually saying was, "the people behind the project really do care about it. The price is a good price, and if we buy from them they get all of the money, which they can use."

That sounds like "we should reward them for their care for this IP." Or perhaps, "for their hard work?" I'm not really sure. If you're NOT talking about rewarding them, then most of your post had nothing to do with the rest, and it should have instead read, "$20 is a decent price. Also, I'm wondering if steam takes a cut if Stardock is auto-generating keys. Anyone know?"

If that isn't what you meant, then you're talking about the Stardock Employee's care and love for the IP having value which deserved recognition enough for you to point it out while also reminding us of the price of the game. Thus I put together the value of their care, and the value of the game, and determine that you're suggesting that we reward their care with out money.

Hence reward.

As for setting aside legal shenanigans... the only reason that "they definitely need" money now is because they're having legal troubles involving the game. The two are linked. There is no setting them aside, unless you just want to say, "I played it, and it was fun."

7. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 2, 2019, 21:55 Choobeastia

Kxmode wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 21:14:
Setting aside the legal shenanigans, please remember Stardock is not EA or Activision. I do believe all the people involved in the project put their heart and soul into this game, and out of love for the original and not to please anonymous shareholders. I'm not calling it mercy money, but $20 is a decent price. Buying from Stardock's site means they keep 100% of the purchase, which they definitely need now.

Actually, I'm uncertain if Steam still takes a cut if Stardock is auto-generating keys. Anyone know?

Brad has a history of telling half-truths, and twisting the narrative to put himself in the best light, and make others look crazy. He also has a tendency to show up places to do so when he's mentioned, as though he spends his day googling himself to find out where to rush in with his special type of "truth."

While I do believe most people at Stardock are passionate about the projects they work on, and Brad may even be as well, I also believe that Stardock is poorly led and represented by him.

It isn't our responsibility to reward them for being passionate about what they do, it's his responsibility as CEO and the public face of their company to learn how to play nice, and keep quiet while the lawyers do their jobs. It's a shame the damage he is doing to his company, and the people who work for him, but I'm sure as heck not going to reward him for it.

News Comments > Battlefield V: TTK TTK Changes
10. Re: Battlefield V: TTK TTK Changes Dec 18, 2018, 03:58 Choobeastia

This is a welcome revision. TTK at release was great. Fast, but not so fast that you couldn't respond (except for sniper headshots, but that's been an issue since the 1942 days), and it allowed your tactical efforts to pay off, rather than enemies you have the drop on turning around and gunning you down immediately.

I won't mind if they want to refine it further, so long as they don't turn it into babytown frolics where it takes >50% of an SMG mag to kill someone at point blank.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Dec 16, 2018, 21:03 Choobeastia

I think this might be an example of knee jerk reactions. Though we know this is the same naming convention for items from the Atom shop, we don't know that these are for sale. Given the fact that we're so close to the holidays, it seems possible that they are also being prepared to offer out Lunchboxes as presents or similar.

It's interesting information, but not worthy of really panicking or yelling pay to win yet. Just let them know we see what they're doing, and are waiting for their next move.

News Comments > Battlefield V Launches
56. Re: Battlefield V Launches Nov 21, 2018, 05:53 Choobeastia

Gadzooks wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 23:10:
Choobeastia wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 18:40:
Osc8r wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 18:04:
Gadzooks wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 13:32:
The is the closest BF has felt to Call of Duty for me so far.

Despite all the new tactical and squad play elements, the ridiculous low Time To Kill sorta nullifies them all.

This ^.

Not sure how anyone enjoys competitive multiplayer in games where fights are over in a second flat.

Hopefully they adjust this for the BR version of they can keep it as well. May as well just stick with COD if you want than console gaming experience...

And lol at raytracing in it's current form, 4k makes a much bigger difference than 'cute reflections' (as someone here nailed it) and with a much lower performance hit to boot.

The time to kill actually helps the tactical and squad play. If the time to kill is too long, then your well laid plans only give you a slight benefit. But with the low time to kill, if you get the drop on someone, or have proper suppressing fire laid down, then you can work wonderfully as a squad. I've had more than a few instances where my laying down fire has allowed my team to move into an area, and use their shorter range weapons to clear it out.

At the same time, there are times when our plans don't work out, and someone else has planned better or is doing something that we had no plan for, resulting in us getting killed. Which is as it should be.

Actually helps??!? what?

Here are some of the reasons why a low TTK nullifies tactical gameplay elements

1. Attrition mode - No health regen: You die before you ever have to worry about no longer regenerating health

2. Attrition mode - less ammo: You die, often long before you ever run out of ammo (unless you are camping, which this game rewards)

3. Support Class - Give ammo: Pointless since most people die before running out of ammo

4. Medic Class - Give medpack: Again, most players are dead before this can be tossed at them

5. Hit direction - Most of the time you are dead before you can even tell what direction you got hit from. With the removal of squad spotting (a tactical element), not even being able to call out "Shooting from the east!" because you are dead removes squad tactical gameplay.

The ONLY tactical element (one thats even new) that benefits from the low Time To Kill, is the construct defenses mechanic. Build up defenses, bunker down, camp, and shoot anyone running who isnt behind cover.

I think you're playing with the wrong people. My squad needs health, they need ammo, they use the extra ammo for their gadgets, and we can call out where we're taking fire from because we're listening, and we check those corners so we're usually able to see the person shooting us, or at least their muzzle flash.

I'm playing on the PC. Perhaps it's different if you play on consoles?

It sounds like we have very different experiences. But historically I've played on Hardcore servers for battlefield, so the lack of spotting, high lethality, and similar are all things that I'm used to.

45. Re: Battlefield V Launches Nov 20, 2018, 18:40 Choobeastia

Osc8r wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 18:04:
Gadzooks wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 13:32:
The is the closest BF has felt to Call of Duty for me so far.

Despite all the new tactical and squad play elements, the ridiculous low Time To Kill sorta nullifies them all.

This ^.

Not sure how anyone enjoys competitive multiplayer in games where fights are over in a second flat.

Hopefully they adjust this for the BR version of they can keep it as well. May as well just stick with COD if you want than console gaming experience...

And lol at raytracing in it's current form, 4k makes a much bigger difference than 'cute reflections' (as someone here nailed it) and with a much lower performance hit to boot.

The time to kill actually helps the tactical and squad play. If the time to kill is too long, then your well laid plans only give you a slight benefit. But with the low time to kill, if you get the drop on someone, or have proper suppressing fire laid down, then you can work wonderfully as a squad. I've had more than a few instances where my laying down fire has allowed my team to move into an area, and use their shorter range weapons to clear it out.

At the same time, there are times when our plans don't work out, and someone else has planned better or is doing something that we had no plan for, resulting in us getting killed. Which is as it should be.

41. Re: Battlefield V Launches Nov 20, 2018, 17:44 Choobeastia

I disagree that there aren't tactics and strategy, but I will say that the maps do seem to be, on average, a bit smaller.

The only CoD thing from it, in my opinion, are the squad rewards, and I very much wish that they had stuck with callable deployables, not the V2. The V2 should be something that is a reward for map control, and should likely only be on the german side. Other sides should have other rewards. Not behemoths, but something else.

This is the most battlefield a game has been since BF2, or Bad Company 2 in my opinion. My biggest complaint would be map size, and the lack of a commander, which results in a lack of team cohesion. Sure, very few people listened to the commander, but a good commander and some squads that listened could make all of the difference in the world previously. I'd love to see them bring commander mode back.

30. Re: Battlefield V Launches Nov 20, 2018, 15:07 Choobeastia

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 14:02:
I guess we can already do a "Why did Battlefield V fail" write up.

Have you actually played the game? IMO, it's by far the most battlefield a battlefield game has been for a while. If someone played the beta only, their view of the game is not accurate. I really disliked the beta, but the game on release is vastly different in terms of feel.

"Real world Political Correctness," I can only really take to mean, "you can play women," which I guess could be a problem? It's not accurate, I'll give you that, but it hasn't distracted me from the gameplay at all.

"Too far from the battlefield formula." This I don't get at all. They're very heavily in the battlefield formula. Likely the closest to BF1942 and BF2 that they've been in a long time, including asymmetrical vehicles.

"Rushed to market." They actually delayed release based on beta input to make changes, so I can't say this is founded in reality.

"Taking the setting to lesser known battles." The battles here are primarily pre-American involvement. So perhaps you're meaning, "no D-Day?" and "No battle of Berlin" or "No Stalingrad?" Either way, I have no doubt those will come up as they release more maps.

"Slow release of new content," now you're just guessing.

"Battle Royale mode splitting the community," there have always been different game modes in battlefield, and it hasn't cause problems historically.

In the end, I have to assume you just hate it because of their marketing choices, or you're deeply upset about women being involved. Maybe you played the beta and didn't like it? I hope that you give it a chance, because I suspect that you'd enjoy it, and if you have and don't... well, then not every game is for everyone.

News Comments > Star Citizen Scraps CitizenCon Keynote Stream Fee
72. Re: Star Citizen Scraps CitizenCon Keynote Stream Fee Sep 2, 2018, 19:27 Choobeastia

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 2, 2018, 19:14:
You can try to Trump your way through discussions by telling lies endlessly one after another but nobody here has the patience for that and you'll just be ignored. You're not important.

Back to back Trump references for Smart between you and I! I worry that the state of things in the US has the sitting president being used as the definition of a lying propagandist.

News Comments > Star Citizen Scraps CitizenCon Keynote Stream Fee
71. Re: Star Citizen Scraps CitizenCon Keynote Stream Fee Sep 2, 2018, 19:25 Choobeastia

dsmart wrote on Sep 2, 2018, 18:31:
LOL!! Nice try.

BOTH French and Lessor were making all kinds of claims regarding the lawsuit, that it had no merits, that the CIG response was solid, that the MtD would succeed etc. If a case is bs, NONE of the claims will survive a MtD. So CLEARLY the judge found that Crytek's complaints DID have merit. And the MtD ruling says all there is to say about that.

Heck, even in his follow-up video, AFTER correcting (see link below) himself after I called him out on his bs on Twitter and on YT, French went and gave it 60/40 chance of success.

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.msg7228;topicseen#msg7228

https://twitter.com/UnsafestSpace/status/954463514793578496

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.msg7141;topicseen#msg7141

ps: My website forum has a search function. Try it!

pps: Yes, I watched all the videos about this that BOTH French and Lessor put out. Did you?

You realize that 60/40 isn't "it had no merits." And the MtD did succeed in the one area he seemed most sure about, the matter of the "exclusive" clause. I also remember that his initial comments were concerned that the GLA wasn't included with the complaint, but referenced it repetitively, and that being his primary reasoning for the case to be dismissed.

You remind me of Trump. You think if you say something enough, it will define the narrative, and sway views.

Can we have a new Godwin's law for Trump references? Choobeast's law?

58 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo