Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Choobeastia

Real Name Choobeastia   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Long time gamer who got addicted to Blues News during the wonderful stays that it sat right beside my Stomped bookmark and those of a few other Quake-centric sites.... I miss the Quake guy in the logo.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 16, 2011, 06:35
Total Comments 67 (Suspect)
User ID 56171

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2019, 19:46 Choobeastia

chickenboo wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 19:36:
Good Op Ed, but it boils down consumer backlash to noisy racists/trolls, labelling all dissenting opinions about the EGS to the association with a few noisy rude loudmouths on twitter. It's like labelling all of the protesters in Hong Kong as dangerous radical looting rioters because a few bad seeds are present.

The arguing against EGS definitely comes off as petty - it's just a store front, big deal - but games sold on Kickstarter guaranteeing Steam keys and then suddenly taking EGS exclusivity deals while riding the association with the Steam store front is pretty misleading and bad practice. Ditto Metro Exodus who announced two weeks before launch that they're going EGS Exclusive, the backlash for that is pretty deserved, and despite there being a lot of horrible direct abuse and attacks which are never warranted, there's a hell of a lot of decent, reserved commentary on why this is a bad thing. It's pretty annoying that this Op Ed glosses over that in favor of portraying every game consumer with the same rabid/troll/racist/pigheaded paintbrush.

The 88/12 deal is fine for producers but the argument it will lead to more and better games is simply misleading. It's like when businesses say that any increase in taxes represents one less employee that could be hired, implying they would have hired extra people if they had the money, not that that ever really happens. Look at Mechwarrior 5 Mercs: the game just released, it's riddled with poor grammar, spelling mistakes, the story is some weak revenge tale with one dimensional characters who don't even more, they just stand there stock still. From what I've read the missions are dead simple and don't offer branching paths that even MW2 Mercs managed to do (complete your contract with A or do what B suggests and get double the payout). You mean to tell me this developer took the EGS payout, and this is what we get? How do you release a V1.0 with grammar and spelling mistakes? I thought 88/12 split was supposed to improve the quality of games.

Until we get clear proof from developers of what they were able to achieve with the generous EGS earnings split and a demonstration of what would have been left off the table without it, why should I believe them that it's in MY best interests to buy from this store, that exclusivity is worth it? And when/if Steam eventually meets the 88/12 split... are we going to see these fabled lands of better games now that devs get 18% more, or will it be status quo...

I couldn't have responded better if I tried. A well reasoned, well explained set of observations and beliefs.

Just what I'd expect from a noisy rude loudmouth on twitter, or Hong Kong Rioter!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway

44. Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 26, 2019, 11:41 Choobeastia

Luke wrote on Nov 26, 2019, 08:20:
Choobeastia wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 20:27:
Thakk wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 14:45:
I've dropped about $1k on the promise of CR's vision. I hope it comes to fruition. I'm fine with the spent funds. Will I be contributing anymore funds in the short-term? No. I've given enough. If/when the IP ships, that's when I'll determine to give more.

As a former Project Manager of software developers, I've been having a blast following the ups and downs and I've met some great people along the way. I know all to well the JIRA jargoon and Project Manager speak they've incorporated these past few years. It's a slog, no doubt about it, especially with scope creep. I wish them the best of luck.

Ahh a believer....never fails to make one laugh , keep telling to youself and it will be true...in ya head 350$ sick

Are you sure you're on the right webpage? My impression was that people were only allowed to call it a scam, joke about it never coming out, or act like it's their duty to love it around these parts. *offers a map*

All jokes aside, I agree. I'm not in as far as you (about $350 here), but I don't have any regrets. I enjoy watching the progress, and it's been a blast seeing different components come online. SOCS is a huge one, and I look forward to when that blossoms into Server Meshing.

I think you messed up the quote.

Regardless, I'm not sure what's sick about it? I don't buy movies, and I don't buy many games. Instead I support a dream that might or might not be completed, and pay monthly to patreons of content creators I like. In the end, I'm putting money towards things I enjoy, which sounds like what everyone is doing, so it seems pretty normal to me.

40. Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 20:54 Choobeastia

GinRummy wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 10:35:
For all the millions of words argued about this game so far, nobody ever actually talks about the state of gameplay in it. Is it an empty solo place? Are there people, quests, enemies, planets, etc. yet even in beta form? What is coming soon and is it actually worth trying the demos now? I suppose I could install it myself and see, but that's work others could do and just tell me.

There is a limited sandbox. The state of your account and progress is generally persistent during each quarterly patch, and you can engage in the following in the play space available:

1> Trading (buying/selling commodities and shipping them)
2> Answering distress beacons (NPC requests for combat assistance, newer feature, not consistently working)
3> Bounty Hunting (Fly to a place, destroy target, get paid)
4> Scan for, find, and destroy spy satellites around Comm Relays.
5a> Go to a wreck and retrieve the black box and bring it back
5b> Go to a wreck and collect the dog tags of the crew to find a specific dead crew members
5c> Go to a wreck and find specific cargo and bring it back
6a> Collect specific cargo from one location, and bring it to another (small quantity transport)
6b> Find a target, destroy, retrieve cargo, deliver
7> Repel boarders on a security station
8> Repel player trying to hack a Comm Array
9> Repel a player trying to hack a security station
10a> Hack a Comm Array
10b> Reset a hacked Comm Array
11> Search a cave for a lost cave diver
12> Ship mining if you have a Prospector
13> Hand mining if you don't have a Prospector
14a> Raid a drug lab, destroy turrets protecting it, kill NPCs present, return with specific drugs
14b> Raid a drug lab, stop another player from stealing the drugs, destroy as many drugs as you can.

And a whole lot more. Much of it works consistently, some of it less so. On top of that, you can now rent ships to enable you to expand the style of missions you can engage in, you can work with others on their ships, and you can use your IN-GAME money to purchase ships (Watch Astropub's Zero to Hero streams sometime). FINALLY, in 3.8 (coming in December), money and in-game purchases will be persistent through several major patches to let people mess around more.

The game has TONS of bugs. It is clearly in a state of active development, and that means there will be nights where a player runs into so many bugs they just lose their mind and want to stop playing. And other nights where someone will run into no bugs at all.

I wouldn't recommend anyone pledge money to the game until we have more bug fixing, and a better tutorial than what we have. But I would recommend people try out free fly events to see how things stand, and if they and their friends have fun.

Hope that helps!

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2019, 22:34.

39. Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 20:35 Choobeastia

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 17:29:
And each one of those virtual ships is available to you for only several thousand dollars a pop! What a bargain!!!

Your hyperbole is getting lazy. There are a couple that high, but the VAST majority of the vehicles are lower, with starter packages as low as $45 and 83 flyable/driveable, so basically less than most AAA games with more vehicle variety than most of those would have as well.

At least figure out a semi-accurate way to be crappy about an interest you don't share.

38. Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Event Underway Nov 25, 2019, 20:27 Choobeastia

Thakk wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 14:45:
I've dropped about $1k on the promise of CR's vision. I hope it comes to fruition. I'm fine with the spent funds. Will I be contributing anymore funds in the short-term? No. I've given enough. If/when the IP ships, that's when I'll determine to give more.

As a former Project Manager of software developers, I've been having a blast following the ups and downs and I've met some great people along the way. I know all to well the JIRA jargoon and Project Manager speak they've incorporated these past few years. It's a slog, no doubt about it, especially with scope creep. I wish them the best of luck.

Are you sure you're on the right webpage? My impression was that people were only allowed to call it a scam, joke about it never coming out, or act like it's their duty to love it around these parts. *offers a map*

All jokes aside, I agree. I'm not in as far as you (about $350 here), but I don't have any regrets. I enjoy watching the progress, and it's been a blast seeing different components come online. SOCS is a huge one, and I look forward to when that blossoms into Server Meshing.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2019, 20:39.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released

24. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released Nov 16, 2019, 00:28 Choobeastia

MeanJim wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 22:37:
Even if I were interested, it would be a no buy for these reasons:

3rd-party DRM:
* Denuvo
* EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required.
* Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Understandable if you haven't made that leap previously. For me, Origin isn't a big issue, as I have Origin Access, and save a ton of money on games monthly that way.

One correction, though. The game doesn't us Denuvo DRM. At least, I have not been able to find any references to it on the Origin page, on the Steam Page, or doing searches on the internet.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Update and Apology

12. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Update and Apology Nov 14, 2019, 14:04 Choobeastia

Game has some issues online, but it is improving. It is frustrating when they have so many of these same issues covered in GTA Online.

That being said, it plays well for me, I don't get crashes or hitching, and I don't really have any bugs.

There are no aimbots or other cheats I've seen. If you don't have aim assist turned off before logging in to the online mode, you end up getting matched with people using aim assist, and that is waaay better than keyboard and mouse unless you're exceptionally good with K&M.

News Comments > Crusader Kings III Announced; Crusader Kings II Freed

9. Re: Crusader Kings III Announced; Crusader Kings II Freed Oct 20, 2019, 21:26 Choobeastia

Darks wrote on Oct 20, 2019, 18:56:
Choobeastia wrote on Oct 20, 2019, 12:44:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 20, 2019, 02:32:
Darks wrote on Oct 20, 2019, 02:13:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 21:35:
Darks wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 19:02:
Freed huh? yea, there is nothing free about this POS game. its all locked behind DLC. Cost you 20 times more to unlocked everything then it would have to just buy the game. Screw that BS!!!
It's funny that everyone that doesn't play this game has this opinion, while the rest of us that do play the game like the DLC policy.

And you are exactly why these shit heel publishers do the shit they do. You must be so proud!!
Even with all the DLC paid at full price, my price per hour played is ridiculously low. That's the only metric I care about.

I'm right there with you. Even if I paid the full $191 for Stellaris, plus 3 full expansions, plus many story packs and others, I am at about $0.15 an hour with 1281 hours played. It would cost me more than that in gas to go to a nearby donut shop and just look at the donuts.

Basically, the PDX model is a proper business model to keep up with inflation, and not something designed to bilk some people out of tons of cash via micro-transactions and loot boxes.

You guys are a bunch of delusional assholes. I dont care how you break it down,. price gouging is gouging no matter how you guys try and justify it. SMH!!!

I suppose the issue is, I don't consider it price gouging. The $40 base game was a full game in it's own right. One could have that, play it, and have tons of fun with ONLY that. Add to that the continued post-launch patch support refining and improving the game, and free additions, and that is a super reasonable price. The rest of it is just adding new content, and I guess I don't see the problem with paying $20 to add an extensive amount of content to a game.

The alternative is.. what? I spend $20 on another game? That's possible, but if I get the same or more joy out of the $20 spent expanding the first, how exactly is that price gouging?

Or to go down your path, it's people like you that make companies nickle and dime us with micro-transactions, because you consider a reasonable expansion at a reasonable price price gouging.

News Comments > Crusader Kings III Announced; Crusader Kings II Freed

7. Re: Crusader Kings III Announced; Crusader Kings II Freed Oct 20, 2019, 12:44 Choobeastia

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 20, 2019, 02:32:
Darks wrote on Oct 20, 2019, 02:13:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 21:35:
Darks wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 19:02:
Freed huh? yea, there is nothing free about this POS game. its all locked behind DLC. Cost you 20 times more to unlocked everything then it would have to just buy the game. Screw that BS!!!
It's funny that everyone that doesn't play this game has this opinion, while the rest of us that do play the game like the DLC policy.

And you are exactly why these shit heel publishers do the shit they do. You must be so proud!!
Even with all the DLC paid at full price, my price per hour played is ridiculously low. That's the only metric I care about.

I'm right there with you. Even if I paid the full $191 for Stellaris, plus 3 full expansions, plus many story packs and others, I am at about $0.15 an hour with 1281 hours played. It would cost me more than that in gas to go to a nearby donut shop and just look at the donuts.

Basically, the PDX model is a proper business model to keep up with inflation, and not something designed to bilk some people out of tons of cash via micro-transactions and loot boxes.

News Comments > Riot Announces Tactical Shooter and Card Game

6. Re: Riot Announces Tactical Shooter and Card Game Oct 16, 2019, 14:42 Choobeastia

My interest in giving more money to China is incredibly low. I have nothing against the Chinese people and wish them the best, but money sent to China won't help them. The push into American and European media by China is heavily backed by their totalitarian government.

Long story short, anything from Riot (and some others) is a pass.

News Comments > Phoenix Point in September

6. Re: Phoenix Point in September Jun 12, 2019, 04:04 Choobeastia

Kxmode wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 16:45:
Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 11:35:
Oh right, EGS exclusive = hard pass.

September 2020, available on Steam... soft pass. I don't reward developers who engage in deception.

Better yet, buy it through the Humble store and change the amount given to the devs to 0.

News Comments > Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered Announced

6. Re: Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered Announced May 30, 2019, 14:45 Choobeastia

I've been looking for a copy of this for months, because I felt like playing through it again and couldn't find my physical copy. Lo and behold, I couldn't find it anywhere online, even when it used to be on steam. Now I know why... they got rid of it so that it wasn't competing against itself.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

63. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2019, 17:50 Choobeastia

My condolences, to you and yours. It will be a tough time, but take solace in the thought that if there is an afterlife, he and Hudson will be together again.  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Survival Mode Plans

22. Re: Fallout 76 Survival Mode Plans Jan 25, 2019, 19:11 Choobeastia

ldonyo wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 11:07:
Darks wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 10:58:
Clu32 wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 10:54:
did anyone even ask for this?

Nope, I think mainly we have been wanting more content added to the world and the option to host our own servers. None of this forced in pvp bullshit.
In fact, the exact opposite of this has been asked for; the ability to completely opt out of PvP. Instead, they've nerfed weapons and added ambush PvP, err "survival mode".

That has been asked for. And many PvPers have also asked for this mode, as they don't like the fact that people can just log out if they don't want to PvP, or potentially walk away.

Either way, more options isn't a bad thing. Especially if it's optional.

News Comments > Anthem Demo Pre-Downloads

33. Re: Anthem Demo Pre-Downloads Jan 23, 2019, 17:16 Choobeastia

It could be a fun game, it could not be. I don't care enough to try the demo, I'll just wait for some release-state gameplay footage. As it stands, the footage I've seen makes the gunplay look interesting, but the powers (short of the ultimates) look like they are completely lacking in punch.

And while part of me is glad that the team that did ME 1 and 2 are back on this, I also kind of wish they weren't? ME 1 and 2 were good games, but their combat gameplay was rather poor. Here's hoping they worked with some of the Andromeda folks on how to make combat engaging, because where that game failed in RPG and story, it had combat and driving down pat.

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required

30. Re: Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required Jan 8, 2019, 17:16 Choobeastia

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 16:50:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:42:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:35:
Well if this is Win10 only, I guess I'm not playing it...
And not even DX12... lol

Yeah this is really weird. I mean a lot of people are still gaming on Win7 machines, so if it's not a DirectX 12 exclusive, what possible reason would they have to leave a good chunk of money on the table? Im guessing that Win10 machines are kind of more like consoles, so they are easier to support? (lol?)

Companies will do that sometimes when the market share on an OS is dropping (as seems to be the case with Windows 7) and has dropped too low. Focusing on a single OS can reduce their QA and support costs a good deal.

News Comments > More on the Star Control Legal Battle

7. Re: More on the Star Control Legal Battle Jan 4, 2019, 22:00 Choobeastia

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 21:17:
All of these clowns need to shut up and let the courts decide. That's all that matters in the end. He said, she said, whatever.

There is a public relations battle taking place at the same time, which can effect the size of their customer bases at the end of it. If both sides would shut up, I'd absolutely agree with you, but so long as Brad is talking, which he is doing constantly, than it makes sense for Fred and Paul to have periodic public comments.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 21:43:
Holy crap, if before I just thought they are misaligned assholes now I think they are malicious fucktards. The entire last paragraph is straight out of some insane alternate reality novel. You couldn't make that shit up if you tried.

They apparently believe they have a copyright on gameplay expressions. Can't wait till a court tells them how the real world works because that's just absurd, if the court gave them a pass on that reasoning the entire games industry would end.

The phrase substantial similarity or striking similarity are important ones from a copyright perspective, as it is very rare for something to be an exact copy. They touched on a few important points of it, such as the use of the term True Space, or Truespace for normal space, a Starship named Vindicator, a crude attempt to appear different by using a remix of the original music, rather than the original music itself, so on and so forth.

Taken individually, or even as a few elements, it wouldn't pass muster for substantial similarity. Taken as a whole, it may.

The courts will decide, but it is an interesting examination of what they had available, and what they chose to go with.

News Comments > Video Game Accessibility Waiver Expires

12. Re: Video Game Accessibility Waiver Expires Jan 3, 2019, 23:45 Choobeastia

In a way, I'm looking forward to this. Some even major game developers have been skating by with barely functional UIs for years. I hope that this will force them to get some UI developers in who will notice things like controller buttons displayed when no controller is plugged in, a lack of a color blind option while using red, blue, and green extensively to differentiate things, and similar seemingly minor issues that create a barrier for entry.

AND, if all goes well, developers may even see more money being made as a result, as people who were incidentally excluded previously may be able to participate.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Available Again

15. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 2, 2019, 23:12 Choobeastia

GothicWizard wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 23:01:
Paul and Fred needs to, as The Rock would say, know your role and shut your mouth. They clearly lost the IP. Get the fuck over it and move on. If SC meant so much to them then where was the next SC game from them before SD got involved? Yea.. exactly. Seems like they want to whine and cry about something they didn't seem to want to do anything with until someone else did.

Well, they were working for Activision, which they claimed stopped them from working on personal projects. As to the truth of that, I'm not certain.

But from a strictly legal perspective, the breakdown provided by Mondosapien does a pretty good job of demonstrating that the IP seems to be in their control. Stardock only actually owns the name of the game, Star Control. Not even the name of the in-game entity Star Control, though they're using it.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Available Again

13. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 2, 2019, 22:39 Choobeastia

Kxmode wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 22:24:
Choobeastia wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 21:55:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 21:14:
Setting aside the legal shenanigans, please remember Stardock is not EA or Activision. I do believe all the people involved in the project put their heart and soul into this game, and out of love for the original and not to please anonymous shareholders. I'm not calling it mercy money, but $20 is a decent price. Buying from Stardock's site means they keep 100% of the purchase, which they definitely need now.

Actually, I'm uncertain if Steam still takes a cut if Stardock is auto-generating keys. Anyone know?

Brad has a history of telling half-truths, and twisting the narrative to put himself in the best light, and make others look crazy. He also has a tendency to show up places to do so when he's mentioned, as though he spends his day googling himself to find out where to rush in with his special type of "truth."

While I do believe most people at Stardock are passionate about the projects they work on, and Brad may even be as well, I also believe that Stardock is poorly led and represented by him.

It isn't our responsibility to reward them for being passionate about what they do, it's his responsibility as CEO and the public face of their company to learn how to play nice, and keep quiet while the lawyers do their jobs. It's a shame the damage he is doing to his company, and the people who work for him, but I'm sure as heck not going to reward him for it.

Who said anything about "reward?"

Ford and Reiche issue the DMCA takedown against their product on Steam and GOG. So I'm not exactly sure how your last point relates to my suggestion of supporting an independent developer/publisher who isn't a publicly traded faceless corporate giant like EA and Activision. By the way, I started my comment with "Setting aside the legal shenanigans" to explicitly set aside ALL of what you're talking about because it's not relevant to the point of my original post.

Again, you keep using that word "reward." I do not think it means what you think it means.

You focused heavily on the people involved. Their heart and soul. Love for the original. Lack of anonymous shareholders. Was all of that just filler? Because if not, then what you were actually saying was, "the people behind the project really do care about it. The price is a good price, and if we buy from them they get all of the money, which they can use."

That sounds like "we should reward them for their care for this IP." Or perhaps, "for their hard work?" I'm not really sure. If you're NOT talking about rewarding them, then most of your post had nothing to do with the rest, and it should have instead read, "$20 is a decent price. Also, I'm wondering if steam takes a cut if Stardock is auto-generating keys. Anyone know?"

If that isn't what you meant, then you're talking about the Stardock Employee's care and love for the IP having value which deserved recognition enough for you to point it out while also reminding us of the price of the game. Thus I put together the value of their care, and the value of the game, and determine that you're suggesting that we reward their care with out money.

Hence reward.

As for setting aside legal shenanigans... the only reason that "they definitely need" money now is because they're having legal troubles involving the game. The two are linked. There is no setting them aside, unless you just want to say, "I played it, and it was fun."

67 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >