Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 364 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Tyranids Released
1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Tyranids Released Jan 15, 2019, 19:35 MisterBenn

Haven't played the DLC yet but I really recommend game if you fancy a lighter 4x/wargame hybrid. With no diplomacy and trade systems, it's fighting for territory all the way with fast turns and spending most of your time in action. The combat system is simple to get into but has a lot of depth and subtlety that becomes clear as you play more. The AI plays a mean game too, attacking in groups, retreating units from the front line to heal and so on. I have no previous expossure to Warhammer other than playing Dawn of War years ago but I've had a lot of fun with this regardless.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2018, 17:18 MisterBenn

I don't think much of the Cube Rule for food, it seems to get a lot of things wrong. The Sandwich Alignment Chart makes a lot more sense!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 8, 2018, 17:02 MisterBenn

Thanks for the tips. I haven't got a permanent solution yet, but I have a process monitor Google app to close Alexa down easily which is good enough. There's some talk of rooting or at least disabling the factory bloatware online, but unless it's easy and going to stick permanently I don't know if I have the energy to do it.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 14:28 MisterBenn

I really like my Fire HD10, and still think it was great value. I have a couple of recent niggles though. An update or two ago, mine started to show the advert lockscreen more often. Sometimes when you press the lock screen button, it shows an advert instead of turning the screen off and you have to hit the button again to switch off. Also if I'm awake into the early hours, I've seen the device wake up and show an advert when noone has gone near it.

More annoyingly, for the past month the CPU is permanently maxed so the device gets hot and needs charging a lot. It turns out the Alexa and Prime Video processes max the CPU, despite the fact that I have Alexa disabled and never launched Prime. You can force stop the processes to fix the problem but they restart sometimes. I never rooted or jailbroke the device, so I have to wonder how many people are getting the same issues.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Eternal Card Game Nov 22, 2018, 14:17 MisterBenn

If you want a CCG that you can play single player at your own pace, this is the pick for me. I'm at 223 hours and I didn't spend a penny yet... I'm at the point where I feel I owe them something out of goodwill. It's a close imitation/hybrid of Magic and Hearthstone, with just enough changes to keywords and mechanics to be legally distinct! The arena and draft modes are free and you get new cards at a decent rate versus AI. The biggest downside is that decks are 75 cards - I've never shaken the feeling of taking a nice tight 60 card Magic deck and then diluting it with 15 cards. Still though, I built about 10 decks for myself and had a bunch of fun with them.  

News Comments > Is Technomasculinity a Thing?
4. Re: Is Technomasculinity a Thing? Nov 13, 2018, 11:20 MisterBenn

As someone competent with computers, and underwhelming in social and physical skills, I always thought of myself as a bit of a nerd. I straddle the line at the very least. I'm delighted to hear that I have in fact been a testament to masculinity the whole time!

In all seriousness though, I feel like this study is pretty poisonous. There are definitely problems associated with males dominating computer fields and careers. Organisations that are used to having all-male staff can gets used to catering to men and become unwelcoming to women. I'm guessing being the only woman on a male team can be pretty unfun sometimes. And of course there's the possibility of bad behaviour bubbling up with no women around to keep the guys in check. Laddishness can cross the line into sexism pretty easily.

This study though... I can't escape the conclusion that the author is targeting the act of "using a computer while male." If a guy taking his 8 year old to work and playing a video games already qualifies as a problem, then everything qualifies it seems. I will never be onboard with this kind of thinking, I think it's a product of identity politics going too far. The author seems to be from the group of people that see the world through the prism of privileged and disadvantaged groups, and believe in directly intervening by condemning the 'winning' group and having them hand something over until equity is achieved. Besides being unfair to the individual and unproductive (moving away from awarding merit) - to me it's a form of coercion.

A far better away to address a perceived inequality is via equal opportunity. Encourage women to aim for STEM subjects while in education. Tech fields are the most welcoming and supportive to women they have ever been and are continuing to improve. Organisations absolutely understand that having a balance of sexes is a healthy thing to be doing these days, especially in technology fields. If more women enter the field, the field will be directly changed for the better in the near future. It's a far more effective and healthy way to go about things rather than listen to people like this who just deal in blanket condemnation.

News Comments > Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns
11. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 12:54 MisterBenn

ZiggyD posted a pretty fair video after 20 hours of beta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOpHNoudM4

I've watched a fair bit of him playing in coop, there are some good bits in there along with a lot of issues. When you strip everything else away, you can explore a Fallout world and play Fallout quests together with your mates. That alone is going to make it worth it for some people. The locations I've seen are often good looking and the world seems to be very large.

On the bad side, it's an extremely shoddy PC port, there are numerous bugs apparent already (I saw a couple different quests break, and multiple issues getting people into the same instance, friended and partied up.) The fact that so much seems to be client side strikes me as a catastrophic lack of game security - I have no idea how they are going to stay on top of cheating.

Lastly, despite the measures taken the gameplay does seem to be susceptible to PvP griefing. If you build a couple base buildings for an income, then a couple of stronger players arrive, what are you going to do? They can steal the items your machines are making and become wanted, but if you engage them they will kick your ass. And you respawn 50 metres away so the situation remains. As far as I can see, other players can still disrupt whatever you have going on in the world, and if they are too strong it seems you have to move on elsewhere and hope they don't follow you.

So if you are pretty lucky/successful at avoiding the issues, there is some fun in there to be had, but I still feel like this game has a lot of problems and is overpriced for what it offers.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Trailer
16. Re: Fallout 76 Trailer Oct 29, 2018, 15:05 MisterBenn

I saw ZiggyD play some of the beta and it was pretty underwhelming. There might be some appeal to the Fallout setting and world exploration for a while, but I think the novelty of that will be short-lived. Unless you are super dedicated to making your own fun, I think after that the game will just feel like the usual survival PvP mechanics in an old engine and won't really have anything to distinguish itself.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 27, 2018, 22:45 MisterBenn

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 13:13:
The edge browser has but one purpose: to download an alternate browser
On that subject, according to Forbes today, top Bing results for 'download Chrome' link to packages of Chrome with malware.

News Comments > Snooker 19 Announced
2. Re: Snooker 19 Announced Oct 17, 2018, 22:52 MisterBenn

You must be talking of the mighty Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker!

Now that I think of it, what ever happened to Virtual Pool 4? I remember 3 had a decent version of snooker in it although the AI didn't really manage the position of the reds like a pro snooker player does.

I remember with 4 there were controversies about a subscription model, and always on DRM and then I don't recall ever hearing of it again, and never heard of anyone owning it or playing it online. Did it flop?

News Comments > RimWorld Leaves Early Access
4. Re: RimWorld Leaves Early Access Oct 17, 2018, 22:32 MisterBenn

One of the best early access projects and comfortably one of the best ever titles of the genre. It was great fun and value a few years back - I played a 1.0 beta game a couple months ago and it's full of improvements and refinements.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 11:29 MisterBenn

Happy anniversary! I didn't have an account back then but I caught up with Blues News and Planet Quake every time I logged on to the internet as a student back in the mid 90s. It's bonkers to keep going for so long.

Doctor Who might be making a splash (the reach of BBC's promotion is pretty big, and there's an extra stir this time round casting a women as the Doctor for the first time) - but I've tried watching recent episodes a couple of times, and didn't think much of it. I think that's because it's very mainstream, and I suspect aimed at younger people than me. The dialogue particularly struck me as bad in the pieces I caught previously, I remember getting caught up in the buzz for Peter Capaldi getting the role, and when I tuned in I remember distinctly thinking that he was way too good for this!

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week
17. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week Oct 3, 2018, 19:06 MisterBenn

The best collection of overhaul mods I know of for XCOM 2 right now is the 'Better' set of mods by DerBK. It's very well designed and extends and rebalances all areas of the game, has new enemy variants and combat AI and so on. I'd recommend Llamachomp's steam collection to get the full set, together with the UI and QoL mods which are compatible. (Probably take out the voice pack mods which he just uses for goofiness when he streams.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1503780399

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2018, 15:45 MisterBenn

I was going to recommend Linux too, it's awesome on a second computer if you don't need specific Windows applications. Ubuntu is the obvious choice but I've been extremely happy with Solus OS the past year.  

News Comments > New Steam Play Expands Linux Support
10. Re: New Steam Play Expands Linux Support Aug 22, 2018, 10:35 MisterBenn

I was fighting with Wine only this week, trying to get Eternal Card Game running on my shitty laptop with Solus OS. Thanks to Steam Play it Just Works for me now.

For what it's worth I recommend Eternal as a poor man's Hearthstone or Magic substitute. The free to play model is the fairest I've seen and you can absolutely build and progress playing solo and spending no money. You can play your custom decks in a solo arena mode, and after a couple of runs you have enough gold for the draft mode where you keep the cards you pull as well. I've had a blast the past few days.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 19, 2018, 15:52 MisterBenn

I've caught about 10 hours of Wreckfest streams, the multiplayer is an huge bundle of straight up fun. The physics and collision engine is superb and probably would have passed as a simulator a few years ago. The single player and destruction derby modes work just fine but aren't really the best of the game.

The MP actually has quite good variety, from tracks that are mostly racing with a bit of barging, from figure 8s and looped tracks that are set up to facilitate as much destruction as possible. Vehicles shatter apart and the destruction is amazing. There are some whacky vehicles to throw in the mix so you can be a lawn mower trying not to get crushed by school busses and combine harvesters if you want. People are starting to kick out workshop mods as well so there should be variety from a while to come. If you fancy an arcade racer smash-em-up it's an instant recommend.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 1, 2018, 11:41 MisterBenn

Bah, Posh was only ever good as a clothes hanger. Sporty was the hottest and the best singer. They had to put a crappy shell suit on her to be fair to the rest of the band!  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 30, 2018, 08:30 MisterBenn

Yeah this argument is especially unconvincing. Access to streaming is universal and genuinely equal opportunity. There's no decision maker holding down the females and making sure the males get more exposure and money. It's open to everyone, you can put yourself out there and if people like your entertainment enough they donate. Compared to more traditional sources of income there is very little infrastructure or organisation getting in the way, you have extremely undiluted exposure to the market.  

News Comments > Agony Released
2. Re: Agony Released May 30, 2018, 08:10 MisterBenn

I caught some of this being streamed last night, I think this might be a bit of a dud. I saw some mediocre environments, generic possession and stealth gameplay around a maze, some dark and smeary graphics, and some dodgy voice acting on a generic seductive demon woman with a terrible script.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
29. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2018, 15:52 MisterBenn

Awesome post scheherazade. I think I basically agree with your perspective on all of that.  

364 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo