Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for warmbluelasers

Real Name warmbluelasers   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Damn bears.
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 28, 2010, 13:24
Total Comments 108 (Novice)
User ID 56099

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2017, 15:59 warmbluelasers

I can choose between google datamining my face, or facebook datamining my face. Oh well, so much for maybe a VR set for Christmas.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Trailer
3. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Trailer Aug 14, 2017, 20:50 warmbluelasers

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 20:27:
What is the player count for MP? 32 vs 32?

Ha! I'd be surprised if it's even 16v16.

War Mode seems familiar, like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory.

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2017, 07:54 warmbluelasers

I'm only interested if the cash boxes include jpegs of Chris Roberts spaceships.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Jul 27, 2017, 12:09 warmbluelasers

I played on both the hardest and easiest difficulty settings. IIRC New Order is one of those games where difficulty is adjusted through hitpoints and accuracy only. If the run-and-gun seems too much a slog just drop down to the lowest setting and then the guns will. I didn't feel like there was any point to playing on Uber (or any higher difficulty) more than once.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 17, 2017, 16:54 warmbluelasers

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 09:03:
Mhh, World of Tanks has the same issue, play on Ultra low = you can see through walls (because they ain't rendering) and foliage stops displaying entirely after a distance, you think you sit in a bush with your tank? Other player sees you on the open field with no cover.

Broken by design ;P

I think you're confusing two competing titles. What you describe is a problem in War Thunder and the new "ultra low" setting. In War Thunder vehicles are always rendered so removing occlusion objects like trees and walls, and making everything a solid mass of color really makes targets stand out at long ranges.

Visibility in World of Tanks works by the server refusing to send information to the client. Removing walls and trees doesn't do any good when the server refuses to tell you where tanks are. That used to be it's own special sort of bullshit, with tanks being completely invisible even at close range.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 23:55 warmbluelasers

Ranger55 wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:34:
I work for a Fortune 100 company. Often times, while we have the cash on hand to fund big projects, or even parts of projects, we will still go to lenders to finance the projects. It is no different than using a line of credit. Do you want to blow all of your cash now on a server farm, or do you want to put it on credit and pay it out over time?

I have nothing at all to do with business operations, and I do this all the time with my private finances. There are benefits to juggling credit, and accountants are always on about having "debt" to knock down taxes and such. A loan doesn't mean anything bad until it's defaulted. Then it's shit city.

News Comments > New Brothers in Arms in Development
5. Re: New Brothers in Arms in Development Jun 14, 2017, 06:51 warmbluelasers

DangerDog wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 03:29:
They're going to hand it off to the same studio that worked on Aliens:CM.

So... handled by a competent studio and micromanaged to death by Pitchford? Got it.

News Comments > EVERSPACE Launches
30. Re: EVERSPACE Launches May 28, 2017, 02:51 warmbluelasers

ItBurn wrote on May 27, 2017, 20:27:
That would require an effort by the devs for what I expect is probably not many gains. It could also be a problem with licenses, rights or ownership. Seems like Ebay is the only legit way to get a copy. Sucks.

The problem lays squarely on Microsoft. I don't think anything from Microsoft's back catalog exists anywhere right now. Starlancer/Freelancer, the MechWarrior franchise... MS is too entrenched with their XBox/Win10 platforms to care about anything else regardless of potential profit.

News Comments > EVERSPACE Launches
9. Re: EVERSPACE Launches May 27, 2017, 00:34 warmbluelasers

Prez wrote on May 26, 2017, 23:15:
I also have read a lot of criticisms saying that a lot of the progress you make is lost when you die. Sounds a lot like wasting time to me. Can anyone who has played it expound on this?

I guess it depends on where you pin progress. When you die you lose crafting materials and equipped items. You keep credits, which are largely just a skill points currency for permanent perks. Crafting blueprints are permanent. Enhancements (found runes that give bonuses or change game mechanics) are permanent.

I really didn't have a problem with losing my gear at death. Once the player accumulates a basic level of blueprints, perks, and enhancements the game gets significantly easier. A bigger issue is the game was quite short in early access and there isn't much unique content. It really relies on RNG and die-repeat to stretch out the experience.

All that said, anyone looking for a space shooter more in line with Wing Commander and Freelancer, or is craving 6DOF gameplay like Descent, should give the game a shot even though some of the mechanics sound not so fun. It's frequently 20% off somewhere, and the Steam summer sale is coming soon.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 10:11 warmbluelasers

Creston wrote on May 17, 2017, 09:28:
Kajetan wrote on May 17, 2017, 08:03:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:53:
... pricing model(30% fee on sales) ...
This i dont get.

30% may seem much, but Steam offers a developer exposure to a GIANT, WORLDWIDE customer base, which is only achievable with a marketing budget even the majors can afford often. If ever.

Not just that, but they provide you with multiplayer functionality, DRM (if you so choose), infinite bandwidth and seamless update functionality.

All of that costs money. Bandwidth alone is a pretty significant chunk at the absurd prices the US Mafia ISPs charge for it.

I'm sure that's less than Gamestop would take, if Gamestop even let indies in the front door.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
14. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 07:08 warmbluelasers

After the good coop of Far Cry: Wildlands I think I'm good for open world whatever. I'd be interested in The Crew 2 if it has more track racing - like enough to make an interesting career out of. I'm not a fan of street racing or XXXtreme sports.  

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista
14. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 09:15 warmbluelasers

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 08:41:
Are there any coders browsing the forum? I'm curious about the technical aspect of dropping XP support for a game as old as World of Warcraft. I'm assuming that they aren't going to be redeveloping the old game code for WOW, which otherwise would run fine on XP, so doesn't dropping support for XP effectively only take a stance of EXCLUDING xp users on WOW?

It depends on what dropping support means for them. If it's no longer checking XP and Vista during QA then yeah, basically what you said. "If it doesn't work, not our problem."

Of course it could also mean phasing out older code that XP and Vista use but not 7 and up. That will take some initial investment in removing the code and testing the game, but the end result means they can further optimize for 7 and up and also there are a few less things to explode with bugs every patch.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 5, 2017, 23:14 warmbluelasers

Rilcon wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:27:
What's the moral difference between getting a free 11 year old version of a heavily patched/"updated" game you can't otherwise play officially, and getting an 11 year old abandonware game that's no longer sold?

Well, first of all "abandonware" is a word made up by pirates to justify their activity. Either a game and its IP is in public domain, or it isn't.

Second, Blizzard is still operating the game for a monthly fee and in-game item sales. Personal disagreement with the direction of the game or the company are not legal grounds to steal intellectual property, for profit or not.

News Comments > Sledgehammer Hint Tweet
3. Re: Sledgehammer Hint Tweet Jan 3, 2017, 16:13 warmbluelasers

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 13:19:
Another call of duty?? dear lord make it stop... i haven't even finished the Ghost campaign, haven't even started the AW, BO3 and IW campaigns... I usually play multiplayer but still, a 2 year break from COD would be nice.

Ghosts ended begging a sequel that'll never come because Activision is about counting beans, and Ghosts was underwhelming critically and financially. That alone has me against paying more than a couple bucks for a COD game, which means I won't be buying any more since Activision doesn't believe in dropping price or aggressive sales.

News Comments > Egosoft Plans "Real" X4
5. Re: Egosoft Plans Dec 16, 2016, 12:21 warmbluelasers

Egosoft and Bohemia Interactive... two companies that need to fire their UI teams and hire professionals.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2016, 16:58 warmbluelasers

Oh shit, not our bloated military industrial complex!  

News Comments > EVE Online F2P Launches
16. Re: EVE Online F2P Launches Nov 16, 2016, 21:38 warmbluelasers

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 22:29:
No kidding... I liked what I've played of EVE, I was first in a null-sec corp for a few months and later did the solo missions thing until I earned a battleship from scratch. But there are TONS of people on there who fuck with you just for kicks. I guess they feel pretty strongly that you shouldn't be allowed to feel safe like you can in other MMOs that have PVE-only servers or designated PVP zones.

It's interesting the duplicity of CCP. The game launched as a total sandbox right up until a small group of people essentially killed the game by gate camping a major hub gate - "the police" didn't exist. The GMs came in, and rather than something nice like a warning followed with a temporary ban, they simply teleported all of them to the most remote system in the game.

Likewise CCP has come down heavy on "exploiters", though what is an exploit and who is punished for it comes down to whim and nepotism. The thuggery and corruption isn't too shocking when you look at the behavior and attitude of the company itself.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
26. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 08:01 warmbluelasers

When it was announced I was hoping for a spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. Oh well, whatever.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 19, 2016, 06:39 warmbluelasers

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 03:15:
If they really wanted to put a stop to this crap instead of reaping tens of millions of dollars from repeat buyers that get banned multiple times, they could IP ban or MAC address ban people.

As someone who used to wield the ban hammer way back, banning the steam account is "safer" than other methods. IP can be changed, and some other sucker will get stuck with the ban. MAC can be changed or spoofed. I bet HWID can too.

The problem is too much reliance on automated & community moderation. It was easier to keep a lid on hackers in the days of privately run dedicated servers with admins.

News Comments > Quantum Break Win10 Follow-up
7. Re: Quantum Break Win10 Follow-up Aug 13, 2016, 13:01 warmbluelasers

The lawyer squad at Microsoft probably called to remind them about contracts, damages, liability, etc.  

108 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo