Descending
Limit Results:

75 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: On Risen 2 DRM
Jul 26, 2011, 15:54
Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 15:54
Jul 26, 2011, 15:54

Personally I've only ever heard a few arguments whenever any Steam only game comes out and most of them are pretty silly.

1) I HATE DRM. Ok... fine. But do you own any of the following: any console, dvd or blu-ray player, a TV with HDMI, and practically every electronic device has some kind of DRM enabled. I don't disagree that less drm would be better, but to boycott something because of it seems a bit incongruous given the ubiquity of it in the marketplace. You'd pretty much have to crawl into a hole in the ground to totally avoid DRM products in general.

2) I HATE STEAM. Ok.. .fine. But why? Usually it's 'because it runs in the background', like your IM client, Skype, etc. so why single Steam out? You could always not have Steam running on startup and kill it when you finish playing if that's your cup of tea. Or it falls into the I HATE DRM, scheme so refer above.

3) What if Steam goes bankrupt. This seems like an odd argument. Look at the current high profile shutdowns of APB, Dirt, and all the old sports game servers. These seem like much more pressing concerns than Steam going bankrupt. Not that it isn't a 'possibility' of course.

The only actual legitimate concerns I've heard are

1) Bandwidth usage in areas were internet is metered or is at some ungodly slow speed. This is definitely unfortunate. It definitely underscores the digital divide that exists.

2) Inability to control patches locally. Though this is usually related to the above issue, where users want to control patch downloads either due to bandwidth problems. Civ5 had an interesting discussion where because specific patches are so gameplay changing that users didn't want the latest patches to totally screw up their existing saves. That problem seems to be pretty Civ5 specific though. The bandwidth problem is usually the most often cited issue with patch controls.

Admittedly I like Steam, because I live in a region where I can fully utilise the capabilities of it to my advantage. I realise that other people who are disadvantaged with bandwidth either by cost or availability would dislike Steam.

I think ultimately devs choose Steam due to it's advantages over competing download platforms. Most notably the availablity of achievements, automatic patch management, distribution cost reduction, and DRM.

Re: On Risen 2 DRM
Jul 26, 2011, 15:23
Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 15:23
Jul 26, 2011, 15:23

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:15:
verrul wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:02:
you can go to steamapps folder and open commonapps and make your own shortcuts and outside of VALVE and some online games you do NOT NEED STEAM LOADED. just for the activation one time that's it.

This is not true. For most non-steamworks games sold on Steam this can be done, but not for steamworks titles. Since Steamworks titles are mostly the only games I buy on Steam that doesn't really help me.

You can run steamworks titles offline. You just don't get the advantages of Steamworks, such as online save games and such. Civ5 works totally fine in offline mode and is highly integrated with Steamworks.

Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
Jul 20, 2011, 13:34
Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 13:34
Jul 20, 2011, 13:34

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:23:
Steam definitely has xbox beat on visibility of new releases. The xbox live service focus's on xbox live arcade titles and retail releases heavily and clouds everything else behind that.

XBLI was awful from the start. Impossible to judge quality of a title, and often difficult to even see what a title was about. There doesn't seem to be an effective way to sort titles or display information. Computers do this far, far better, which is why I'm happy you're able to buy cellphone games via computer. That said, Steam isn't too much better on this front, but at least games on Steam tend to have an internet presence elsewhere to get information.

XBLA has gone like XBLI by this point. It's been about a year since I've purchased a game there, or much even browsed it. Amazing at first, but by now the selection is too great, the quality too varied and the ability to tell what you're looking for too low for me to bother. I'll spend more time looking for a game than playing a game.

At this point calling both those sections failures seems right.

Steam does have similar searching and library visibility issues. There's so many games on Steam now it's almost impossible to browse it all coherently. I think their daily/mid-week/weekend sales are their way of bringing to the front page some game that would otherwise wallow in the depths of Steam's catalog. From that perspective, I think XBLI/XBLA could really benefit from the Steam model of cycling through games more frequently on their front page to give exposure to more of their library to people.

I know people complain a lot on the Steam forums that the Deal of the Day 'sucks' or whatever. But you'd never find this gem of a game without the deal of the day

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_2

Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
Jul 20, 2011, 13:30
Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 13:30
Jul 20, 2011, 13:30

Tumbler wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:30:
And there is no demo on the steam version of the game...I downloaded the trial on the live indie marketplace and I am probably not going to go back and play it...this is one area steam is pathetic in. They have locked down content yet no way to try it in most cases. You can download a separate demo in some cases but you'd need to come back and download the full game after purchasing it if you wanted it.

The architecture of Steam vs Xbox360 doesn't make 'full demos' possible I would think as a drop in API possiblity. Because the x360 is locked down and hasn't been compromised in terms of security, it allows them a lot of freedom to provide some kind of timed demo.

On Steam this pretty much is not possible. Steam games are already cracked once the game becomes unlocked. Thus there is no real value add to providing this service, since almost no one would use it due to the lack of confidence that it would stay 'locked'. OnLive has this feature but that's because they control the content on their end.

And just an FYI some games on Steam do have demo 'upgrades'. Audiosurf I downloaded the demo during the sale, then when I bought it, it downloaded almost nothing to unlock the game.

Re: Might & Magic Anniversary Trailer, Heroes VI Beta Starts Today
Jun 28, 2011, 14:12
Re: Might & Magic Anniversary Trailer, Heroes VI Beta Starts Today Jun 28, 2011, 14:12
Jun 28, 2011, 14:12

I'm hoping its at least as good as the King's Bounty series has been in it's absence.

Re: Capcom DRM Follow-up
May 26, 2011, 22:04
Re: Capcom DRM Follow-up May 26, 2011, 22:04
May 26, 2011, 22:04

Wow your ignorance is astounding. As indicated GFWL is already part of the development stream. They can't change it now. It's not THAT arduous a requirement, though I am the first to say I am not a huge fan of it. He's defending it from people LIKE YOU who dismiss it out of hand without really understanding what's going on.

The irony is that people like you complain about hacks and cheats in PC games, yet SCREAM bloody murder if a company tries to protect their game from it. If you use DRM in a way that complements your anti-cheat strategy as WoW does, then isn't that what you want. Especially in a online competitive games such as SSF4?

I want a level playing field for onilne competition in SSF4. If DRM is part of that strategy and is integrated in a good long term plan to maintain the game's integrity for legitimate users, then I'm all for it.

If someone asks for your opinion and you simply spit out "DRM SUCKS" then really you have contributed less than zero to the conversation.

Re: AoE Online Keys
Apr 29, 2011, 16:17
Re: AoE Online Keys Apr 29, 2011, 16:17
Apr 29, 2011, 16:17

Id love one as well

Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash
Apr 21, 2011, 15:29
Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 15:29
Apr 21, 2011, 15:29

It takes about 8-10 hours to finish up the campaign. That isn't much longer than most games these days. You can burn through Crysis2 and CoD in that timeframe.

Re: Bigfoot and Gaikai Partnership
Apr 5, 2011, 13:44
Re: Bigfoot and Gaikai Partnership Apr 5, 2011, 13:44
Apr 5, 2011, 13:44

Bigfoot? Isn't this the same company that sells exteremly overpriced network cards and crap to 'gamers'? Network latency is not a local issue, its a problem down stream. You can't 'fix' it by having some kind of overpriced network card attached to your computer.

Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June
Mar 20, 2011, 17:06
Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June Mar 20, 2011, 17:06
Mar 20, 2011, 17:06

Lurk moar wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 14:10:
Might & Magic Heroes 6 - Official Website or just mmh6.com

Wow, I think UBI needs to fix their google rankings. If you google Heroes Might and Magic you get this

http://mightandmagic.us.ubi.com/

Even still the Facebook page should have a link to the main page. Why should this information be this hard to find on google is puzzling.

Mar 20, 2011, 10:12
Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June Mar 20, 2011, 10:12
Mar 20, 2011, 10:12

Kajetan wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 09:52:
You are refering to the marketing of the game, not the game itself.

Nowadays, Facebook is teh new shit in marketing. Just ignore it and wait for the actual game. If you are not sure, what to expect, just download it after the relase or play a demo, if there is one. Then buy it or dont buy it. There is no need for Facebook at all

As far as I'm concerned, the Facebook page currently is no different than having a big WE DO NOT CARE sign. They don't do anything that other Facebook campaigns have done. At the very least post updates like their youtube videos to the wall. If you're not even going to bother with the free marketing that Facebook provides, then it speaks volumes to how confident you feel about the product.

Again, they're trying very hard to make me not care about a franchise I've been playing since it came out.

Mar 19, 2011, 22:15
Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June Mar 19, 2011, 22:15
Mar 19, 2011, 22:15

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 19, 2011, 22:01:
I didn't know Heroes 5 was something highly regarded. I recall all the issues on the release and then a game forgotten.

I think most people were pissed about the whole 'reboot' thing before rebooting a franchise was hip.

Mar 19, 2011, 21:42
Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June Mar 19, 2011, 21:42
Mar 19, 2011, 21:42

The other thing that bugs me is that the 'webpage' is still that idiotic Facebook link. Are you serious about this game? GIVE ME A REAL HOME PAGE! No previews, screen shots, story, history, videos, developer comments, blogs, nothing.

This fact alone does not make me feel confident about how this game is going to turn out. If they don't feel the need to keep the community informed about what is going on, then why should I care as a fan.

I REALLY want to like the game. I do. But it's like they're trying really hard to make the game unappealing. I mean other than announcing an Uwe Bolle movie tie-in I can't imagine how apathetic they feel about this franchise.

Mar 19, 2011, 21:34
Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June Mar 19, 2011, 21:34
Mar 19, 2011, 21:34

Dunno is it just me or are the preview videos just not that 'exciting'. So far i havent' seen anything great from these that makes me think that this game is going to be great. Is this really going to pull me away from King's Bounty?

Re: Volition Would
Feb 8, 2011, 21:29
Re: Volition Would Feb 8, 2011, 21:29
Feb 8, 2011, 21:29

PLEASE for the love of god murder everyone at EA/2K/Activision and Make FreeSpace3! I'm sure we can find a lawyer to plea you down to manslaughter and 5 years.
75 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older