Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 415 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 13:00 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 12:48:
nin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:08:
I don't think I could care less it's a woman lead. As long as it's a cool story with Star Wars action, I'm all over it.

And thou shall not speak ill of Rey!

I don't care whether the lead is male or female but nothing was earned by her character despite her exhibiting great prowess at everything. It was a pretty poor heros journey, no real obstacles or mettle required, just get whatever ability you need as the plot requires. The actress did very well but I thought the plot structure was really haphazard. The movie itself was a fun enough nostalgia ride but I'm raising my expectations for the sequel, "better than prequels" is not exactly a high bar to clear.

Boo! Thought the movie was excellent and blew my expectations out of the water. A few nods to the old movies didn't spoil my enjoyment one bit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2016, 01:30 AngelicPenguin

Kosumo wrote on Mar 21, 2016, 18:28:
Bitmap Brothers, Team 17

Chaos Engine and Xenon 2 - "it-it's the MEGABLAST!"

Good times.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $110M
14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $110M Mar 14, 2016, 12:14 AngelicPenguin

Timmeh wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 10:22:
Why is this still being allowed?

This Crowd funding should have been disabled long ago.

This company needs to get investigated by the FBI, CIA or whomever does this sort of thing for criminal fraud charges.

You cant take crowd funding, and sell ships for hundreds of dollars and have obvious plans to sell the game retail. There is something very wrong with all of this and it needs to get shut down.

Where is the money going, how much is Roberts pocketing himself, how many new cars does he own now, what is he paying his developers.. etc..

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Ya, no thanks. I'd rather my tax dollars not to go to something like this. If people want to throw money at Star Citizen then that's their problem, not mine.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 26, 2016, 12:36 AngelicPenguin

I'm not quite positive, but using some deduction I think that Kosumo and CJ Parker do not actually like Star Citizen or Chris Roberts.

Just reading between the lines.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2016, 14:19 AngelicPenguin

Weatherford sounded like a child in his tweets. That fits twitter, I guess.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2016, 17:01 AngelicPenguin

Pigeon wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 10:38:
Watched the Texans game with some friends, that was brutal. The score was close for most of the game, but the 'feels like' score was more like 0-50. The one time it seemed like the offense was getting back into the game Hoyer throws an interception right at the goal line. He has to go; he may have the occasional good game, but he has far more terrible games.

As a Texans fan, I think I'd prefer to lose how we did (opening kickoff return set the tone nicely) than to lose how either the Bengals or Vikings lost (esp the Bengals.)

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
21. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 14:20 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:57:
thecakeisalie wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:30:
I was watching a video on Youtube that talked about HL3 and Valve and because Gabe Newell is rolling in dough from skimming off the top selling other people's content, why take the risk on trying to make HL3 and risking it flopping? They will just string us along counting their money from Steam until everyone that actually wanted HL3 dies off.

No, it's called be a fat lazy fucking asshole who has no drive other than making profit from other people's hard work. The guy has become the next George Lucas, someone who has lost his desire and will to continue on. If he can't find the time or will or desire to complete the Half Life story, then sell it off or have someone else finish it.

But please do not defend this asshole as someone who never intended to finish the HL3 story. That is utter bulshit to say they never intended to make HL3.

Valve as a whole has forgotten where they came from and what made Valve what it is today.

Big deal - steam is far more important than HL3. I'd rather they concentrated on what was good for gaming as a whole then churning out what will probably be a let down of a sequel.

Let everybody else make the games, and they can concentrate on their gaming platform.

I don't even know what I'd want to see in a Half Life 3 to be honest. It's not like the story was super compelling so I feel like I really need to have an ending.

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2016, 14:41 AngelicPenguin

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 22:36:
I fall back on this first... ahmmm... we are talking games, it isn't as important as the stance you portray.

You are very valiant in your attempts, but most of us just silently chuckle at the doom and gloom thrown around.

Kudos though.

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
26. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 13:00 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:50:
Who cares? All people wanted

I shudder at the thought of you speaking for everyone.

News Comments > Into the Black
25. Re: Into the Black Dec 15, 2015, 23:22 AngelicPenguin

NKD wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 03:59:
particularly autistic fans

Ya, let's make fun of a serious illness in a comment about a dumb fucking movie.

Way to go douchebag.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 11:08 AngelicPenguin

Bodolza wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 20:04:

Yes, I saw it in the theaters when I was a kid and I still remember that pretty well. Technically, I didn't say it's the worst. I said it's tied for the worst. The acting is really spotty in parts, especially the sister reveal to Leia. Han is turned into a cartoon character and totally loses the bad-ass persona. The sfx on the speeder bike chase do not hold up. I always thought both the practical and CGI Sny Snootles looked terrible, and the Rancor looks like a hand puppet. Some of the compositing was really dodgy before the special editions. I must say, I actually was never bothered by the Ewoks, though, like some people. That one Ewok dying in the battle really made me sad as a kid.

I saw RoTJ in the theater as well as a kid and it to this day remains my favorite. (It has my single favorite scene in all the films as well - the fight with Vader where Luke chops his hand off.) I will be the first to admit that it is pretty much impossible to be objective about that movie since I can't separate my childhood feelings towards it.

I have seen it MANY times since then and have never thought it didn't age well. The things you list seem very minor to me and I as well was never bothered by the Ewoks.

I'm happy that the prequels have some fans, though. I don't hate AoTC or RoTS (I like the last one for some really great moments.) I feel like if they handed the prequels to Spielberg they would have probably been A level movies.

I DO hate Phantom Menace, though. I find almost nothing redeemable about it and it will probably remain the most disappointing movie I have ever seen (it follows up my favorite movie after all.) So, apologies, but again the idea that someone ranks Phantom Menace HIGHER than RoTJ just blows my mind.

Again, glad you like them, though, and here's hoping we both get something to like in Force Awakens.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 19:07 AngelicPenguin

Bodolza wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 15:42:
In preparation for the new film, I've been rewatching all the movies for the n'th time
...snip...

To hear someone say that RoTJ was the worst of the 6 movies, I have to ask - how old were you when you saw the movies? Did you see the original trilogy when it first aired in the theaters?

Everyone is totally entitled to their opinions (my young nephew likes the animated clone wars more than any of the movies), but to put any of the prequel trilogy above the original trilogy just blows my mind.

Sith was decent, but in hindsight I really feel like I enjoyed it more so because the first two (especially Phantom Menace) were such serious letdowns.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 19:01 AngelicPenguin

Pigeon wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 13:59:
...the last decade has allowed dislike for the prequels to sour into petty disdain. And they don’t deserve it...

...Yes, Jar Jar was terrible (from his language to his antics to his CG depiction), Jake Lloyd was not the greatest child actor, and the dialogue ranged from wooden to cheesy to downright silly.

The writer almost immediately gives reasons to thwart her own stance. But we can add to the list of reasons with Midichlorians, the force middle-men nobody wanted, CGI that meshed poorly, plot holes you wouldn't have any trouble bulls-eyeing with a T16 Skyhopper, and almost everything that was Anakin through all 3 series. I hesitate to blame Jake Loyd or Hayden Christensen because most of my problems seemed to be with poor dialogue and character development. Which delves into the next point Kelly puts forth as to why people unfairly hate on the prequels.

The prequels tell a different kind of story than the original trilogy told, which was jarring for many fans. Instead of a hero’s journey to victory, they depict a hero’s fall from grace, a tragedy that is harder to bring to life onscreen.

The fall from grace story was the story everyone expected, and wanted. The problem was the execution of that story. The reasoning behind Anakin's fall is pretty tenuous and his near instant 180 degree change is pretty unbelievable. The character comes off as shallow and unlikable, and when there's a chance for development we get some shoe horned whiny monologue about sand. The sad part is the Clone Wars cartoon series did a much better job developing the character than anything in the movies. In my opinion I could have overlooked a lot of the other problems with the movies had Anakin not been so fundamentally unlikable.

Also I know many disagree with my, but I thought the duel between Dooku and Yoda was a tad on the goofy side.

One of the commenters on that article posted this:

You seem to have missed the point. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that Jar Jar annoyed people or that CG looks different the puppets. Fans would have forgiven stuff like that. The problem the prequels suffer from is that there's no one to like. The heroes are basically monks--drab, flat and austere characters. Take away the lightsabers and they couldn't be more boring. We didn't care about them. We cared about Luke's journey. We enjoyed Han's colorful background and personality. We liked Luke, Han and Leia together. There was a warmth and a sincerity there that every relationship in the prequels lacked. The real reason that people feel let down by the prequels has nothing to do with effects or esoteric plot points. It's that the prequels have no heart.

And I couldn't agree more.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
69. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:17 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:14:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:13:
Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:10:
that's how bored I am.

You're that guy who stares at his phone all the time right?

fuck no I hate phones, they're the gamebryo engine of the computing world I like COMPUTERS

That's good - because that guy is about to get hit by a car while crossing the street.

65. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:13 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:10:
that's how bored I am.

You're that guy who stares at his phone all the time right?

59. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:00 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:51:
Task wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:28:
Also dipped down to 77%

Source?

What the what. Metacritic shows a user score of 50%, is that being gamed?

User scores mean nothing, when people can register and reviewbomb. It's the equivalent of an amazon review.

Ya I was about to post the same thing. Since when do Metacritic User scores mean ANYTHING? So often they are 0s and 10s with what seems like the goal simply being to counter the other.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 12, 2015, 17:46 AngelicPenguin

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 14:16:
Some of these updates makes me wonder what kind of research Microsoft does before goes ahead and completely redesigns the dashboard.

You don't think it looks pretty significantly better? The old version looked like the Windows 8 start menu.

I haven't used it yet, though, so hopefully it's more functional as well.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Bot Maker
22. Re: Blizzard Sues Bot Maker Nov 12, 2015, 13:19 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 12:52:

Now that there's no auction house, how does botting in Diablo affect anyone? (Assuming we're talking about D3.)

The main beef people have is that paragon levels are super important for season laddering, so many people feel like to compete they need to bot. I don't worry about competing on ladder, so to your point, botting doesn't affect me, but for those who do want to it's a pretty big issue.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Bot Maker
20. Re: Blizzard Sues Bot Maker Nov 12, 2015, 12:14 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 09:01:
As a result of Enright’s conduct, Blizzard has lost millions or tens of millions of dollars in revenue and in consumer goodwill

Really? How? People with bots pay to play WoW. People play Diablo 3 for free. Heroes of the Storm is completely free. How did you lose money?

And consumer goodwill? It may be irritating to see bots all standing together to gang up on a spawn (hi Elder Scrolls Online!) but it's not THAT big an issue.

Quit whining, Blizzard.

You don't think there is a monetary interest in keeping their games bot free? I know lots of folks who are frustrated with botting in Diablo, so I wouldn't be surprised if many of them didn't buy the expansion because of it. I don't play WoW or HoTS, but I'd imagine it would be similar.

Even free games generally have paid cosmetics. Same deal, if you lose customers, you lose out there too.

I'm surprised anyone would have an issue with Blizzard suing a bot maker.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 11, 2015, 14:20 AngelicPenguin

I really hope he enjoyed it.

I mean what if your dying wish was to see the new Star Wars movie in 1999, and you saw the Phantom Menace.

I dunno, maybe at that stage anything might cheer you up.

415 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo