Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 408 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2016, 14:41 AngelicPenguin

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 22:36:
I fall back on this first... ahmmm... we are talking games, it isn't as important as the stance you portray.

You are very valiant in your attempts, but most of us just silently chuckle at the doom and gloom thrown around.

Kudos though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
26. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 13:00 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:50:
Who cares? All people wanted

I shudder at the thought of you speaking for everyone.

News Comments > Into the Black
25. Re: Into the Black Dec 15, 2015, 23:22 AngelicPenguin

NKD wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 03:59:
particularly autistic fans

Ya, let's make fun of a serious illness in a comment about a dumb fucking movie.

Way to go douchebag.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 11:08 AngelicPenguin

Bodolza wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 20:04:

Yes, I saw it in the theaters when I was a kid and I still remember that pretty well. Technically, I didn't say it's the worst. I said it's tied for the worst. The acting is really spotty in parts, especially the sister reveal to Leia. Han is turned into a cartoon character and totally loses the bad-ass persona. The sfx on the speeder bike chase do not hold up. I always thought both the practical and CGI Sny Snootles looked terrible, and the Rancor looks like a hand puppet. Some of the compositing was really dodgy before the special editions. I must say, I actually was never bothered by the Ewoks, though, like some people. That one Ewok dying in the battle really made me sad as a kid.

I saw RoTJ in the theater as well as a kid and it to this day remains my favorite. (It has my single favorite scene in all the films as well - the fight with Vader where Luke chops his hand off.) I will be the first to admit that it is pretty much impossible to be objective about that movie since I can't separate my childhood feelings towards it.

I have seen it MANY times since then and have never thought it didn't age well. The things you list seem very minor to me and I as well was never bothered by the Ewoks.

I'm happy that the prequels have some fans, though. I don't hate AoTC or RoTS (I like the last one for some really great moments.) I feel like if they handed the prequels to Spielberg they would have probably been A level movies.

I DO hate Phantom Menace, though. I find almost nothing redeemable about it and it will probably remain the most disappointing movie I have ever seen (it follows up my favorite movie after all.) So, apologies, but again the idea that someone ranks Phantom Menace HIGHER than RoTJ just blows my mind.

Again, glad you like them, though, and here's hoping we both get something to like in Force Awakens.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 19:07 AngelicPenguin

Bodolza wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 15:42:
In preparation for the new film, I've been rewatching all the movies for the n'th time
...snip...

To hear someone say that RoTJ was the worst of the 6 movies, I have to ask - how old were you when you saw the movies? Did you see the original trilogy when it first aired in the theaters?

Everyone is totally entitled to their opinions (my young nephew likes the animated clone wars more than any of the movies), but to put any of the prequel trilogy above the original trilogy just blows my mind.

Sith was decent, but in hindsight I really feel like I enjoyed it more so because the first two (especially Phantom Menace) were such serious letdowns.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 19:01 AngelicPenguin

Pigeon wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 13:59:
...the last decade has allowed dislike for the prequels to sour into petty disdain. And they don’t deserve it...

...Yes, Jar Jar was terrible (from his language to his antics to his CG depiction), Jake Lloyd was not the greatest child actor, and the dialogue ranged from wooden to cheesy to downright silly.

The writer almost immediately gives reasons to thwart her own stance. But we can add to the list of reasons with Midichlorians, the force middle-men nobody wanted, CGI that meshed poorly, plot holes you wouldn't have any trouble bulls-eyeing with a T16 Skyhopper, and almost everything that was Anakin through all 3 series. I hesitate to blame Jake Loyd or Hayden Christensen because most of my problems seemed to be with poor dialogue and character development. Which delves into the next point Kelly puts forth as to why people unfairly hate on the prequels.

The prequels tell a different kind of story than the original trilogy told, which was jarring for many fans. Instead of a hero’s journey to victory, they depict a hero’s fall from grace, a tragedy that is harder to bring to life onscreen.

The fall from grace story was the story everyone expected, and wanted. The problem was the execution of that story. The reasoning behind Anakin's fall is pretty tenuous and his near instant 180 degree change is pretty unbelievable. The character comes off as shallow and unlikable, and when there's a chance for development we get some shoe horned whiny monologue about sand. The sad part is the Clone Wars cartoon series did a much better job developing the character than anything in the movies. In my opinion I could have overlooked a lot of the other problems with the movies had Anakin not been so fundamentally unlikable.

Also I know many disagree with my, but I thought the duel between Dooku and Yoda was a tad on the goofy side.

One of the commenters on that article posted this:

You seem to have missed the point. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that Jar Jar annoyed people or that CG looks different the puppets. Fans would have forgiven stuff like that. The problem the prequels suffer from is that there's no one to like. The heroes are basically monks--drab, flat and austere characters. Take away the lightsabers and they couldn't be more boring. We didn't care about them. We cared about Luke's journey. We enjoyed Han's colorful background and personality. We liked Luke, Han and Leia together. There was a warmth and a sincerity there that every relationship in the prequels lacked. The real reason that people feel let down by the prequels has nothing to do with effects or esoteric plot points. It's that the prequels have no heart.

And I couldn't agree more.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
69. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:17 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:14:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:13:
Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:10:
that's how bored I am.

You're that guy who stares at his phone all the time right?

fuck no I hate phones, they're the gamebryo engine of the computing world I like COMPUTERS

That's good - because that guy is about to get hit by a car while crossing the street.

65. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:13 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:10:
that's how bored I am.

You're that guy who stares at his phone all the time right?

59. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:00 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:51:
Task wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:28:
Also dipped down to 77%

Source?

What the what. Metacritic shows a user score of 50%, is that being gamed?

User scores mean nothing, when people can register and reviewbomb. It's the equivalent of an amazon review.

Ya I was about to post the same thing. Since when do Metacritic User scores mean ANYTHING? So often they are 0s and 10s with what seems like the goal simply being to counter the other.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 12, 2015, 17:46 AngelicPenguin

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 14:16:
Some of these updates makes me wonder what kind of research Microsoft does before goes ahead and completely redesigns the dashboard.

You don't think it looks pretty significantly better? The old version looked like the Windows 8 start menu.

I haven't used it yet, though, so hopefully it's more functional as well.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Bot Maker
22. Re: Blizzard Sues Bot Maker Nov 12, 2015, 13:19 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 12:52:

Now that there's no auction house, how does botting in Diablo affect anyone? (Assuming we're talking about D3.)

The main beef people have is that paragon levels are super important for season laddering, so many people feel like to compete they need to bot. I don't worry about competing on ladder, so to your point, botting doesn't affect me, but for those who do want to it's a pretty big issue.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Bot Maker
20. Re: Blizzard Sues Bot Maker Nov 12, 2015, 12:14 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 09:01:
As a result of Enright’s conduct, Blizzard has lost millions or tens of millions of dollars in revenue and in consumer goodwill

Really? How? People with bots pay to play WoW. People play Diablo 3 for free. Heroes of the Storm is completely free. How did you lose money?

And consumer goodwill? It may be irritating to see bots all standing together to gang up on a spawn (hi Elder Scrolls Online!) but it's not THAT big an issue.

Quit whining, Blizzard.

You don't think there is a monetary interest in keeping their games bot free? I know lots of folks who are frustrated with botting in Diablo, so I wouldn't be surprised if many of them didn't buy the expansion because of it. I don't play WoW or HoTS, but I'd imagine it would be similar.

Even free games generally have paid cosmetics. Same deal, if you lose customers, you lose out there too.

I'm surprised anyone would have an issue with Blizzard suing a bot maker.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 11, 2015, 14:20 AngelicPenguin

I really hope he enjoyed it.

I mean what if your dying wish was to see the new Star Wars movie in 1999, and you saw the Phantom Menace.

I dunno, maybe at that stage anything might cheer you up.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
41. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 11:37 AngelicPenguin

ShakyJake wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 05:25:
This game has been a nightmare as a left-handed person. Many keys over on the right-hand side of the board are not allowable to be bound to keys, and even when you ARE able to rebind basic keys elsewhere all the menus still require the old keys. What the hell? I've spent a good part of last night and today messing around with keyboard editors that allow me to bypass the problem by changing keys over on the numpad to read as asdf, etc. Very frustrating, and I don't know how it got to release without anyone caring about us lefties.

As a leftie myself, I've long been using AutoHotkey. Fixes all these sorts of issues.

News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
79. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 7, 2015, 21:22 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 22:39:
apologize more noobs. you fuckers are the reason we're in 2015 and we still don't have molecular physics in every title, we don't have performance-captured animations in every game, and why the AI count is still abysmal. where are the gleaming cities of the future we were promised? because you keep buying the same old garbage, then apologize for them when they purposefully avoid any forward progress. fuck you.

Wow, you are annoying. Just thought I'd point that out.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans
8. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 21:16 AngelicPenguin

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 20:50:
Meh... they are pushing this Seasons nonsense so hard,

I dunno I got the opposite reaction from this patch. They are removing seasonal only legendary items which was one of the huge draws of season.

News Comments > Hearthstone Co-op Tavern Brawl
5. Re: Hearthstone Co-op Tavern Brawl Nov 6, 2015, 11:13 AngelicPenguin

It's pretty epic.

It almost requires pretty good coordination, though, and if your teammate doesn't understand how to beat the boss, you're almost certainly doomed.

News Comments > No More WoW Numbers
10. Re: No More WoW Numbers Nov 4, 2015, 10:44 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 09:40:
nin wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 09:38:
Pulling a microsoft, eh?

It wont be much longer now. Ill bet they even get to the point of reducing their server count down to half.

The might is finally falling. and Blizz has nothing waiting in its wings to take its place.

Blizz is to concentrated on trying to compete with LOL that they are missing the boat.

<cough>
http://gamerant.com/heartstone-profit-monthly-900/
</cough>

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 3, 2015, 17:27 AngelicPenguin

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 15:04:
Having bought an Xbox One quite literally days ago, I find the interface to be extremely confusing and the opposite of intuitive.

Ya I bought one not long ago as well and I found the grid just weird. Main screen shows the stuff you use a lot, left is your pinned stuff (and figuring how to pin something was confusing as well), and as far as I can tell the right two screens are just garbage ads, store, friends stuff that I never use.

Sort of feel like anything would be an improvement, although I do like how easy it is to go split with the TV.

News Comments > Torment Next Year
23. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 3, 2015, 11:01 AngelicPenguin

The only thing I am absolutely certain of is neither CJ Parker or Cutter work in the software industry.

When you miss your estimates, it's not because you were lying. It's just very hard to estimate a project with a huge scope accurately.

408 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo