Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 717 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Over 1M Blade & Soul Players
10. Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 08:52 SimplyMonk

Don't know where it is in development, but the MMO Crowfall on Kickstarter looked promising. Not sure you'd call it an RPG though. Felt more like an MMO Arena or something. Didn't have the money to back it at the time sadly but also I'm leery about backing most games nowadays. Especially something like an MMO.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft: Education Edition Announced
12. Re: Minecraft: Education Edition Announced Jan 20, 2016, 08:54 SimplyMonk

Agreed. Not to say that the skills learned playing Minecraft are undesirable though. Basic logic, rudimentary system design, resource management, bomb defusal.

Now I'm sure that if someone took a good amount of time to really expand a educational model within Minecraft there are many applications like geography, geology or possibly even chemistry and computer science that could be taught effectively. What I've seen so far doesn't suggest that though.

News Comments > Minecraft: Education Edition Announced
4. Re: Minecraft: Education Edition Announced Jan 19, 2016, 17:45 SimplyMonk

I'm getting a Second Life University feel from this. Something that on the surface looks interesting, but when you get right down to it the medium just doesn't have anything to make learning any easier.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 17, 2016, 23:23 SimplyMonk

Man. I remember loving Rengade when it first came out for some reason. Let's see if my memories hold up with this new version.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 8, 2016, 16:10 SimplyMonk

Publishers/Investors don't back ideas anymore. You need to bring a solid demo to find any funding nowadays and that takes cash.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
7. Re: Sunday Interviews Dec 27, 2015, 23:15 SimplyMonk

Seeing as it is LA Times, I would be surprised if they had. The comparison to Madden is pretty telling that the writer has no clue about video game design or the industry in general.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 15:29 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 12:49:
I'm going to get a lot of flack for saying this, but The Force Awakens is not a very good film.

I completely agree and sounds like you and this reviewer have a lot in common:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/16/star-wars-the-force-awakens-review

That being said, I think this is a great jumping off point for the real new movie that is SW8.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 13:20 SimplyMonk

JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:37:
...because Lucas totally lost his tenuous grasp on what made Star Wars great somewhere between Empire and Jedi...at the exact instant he started listening to the focus groups instead of his soul.

Yeah. I don't know how much of this was Lucas losing his soul or the shareholders, executives, and financiers around him wrestling control of the franchise from him. Now that he is "retired" maybe he'll make some independent films that will return to the core of what made his directing great? Maybe not though.

News Comments > Gigantic Delayed; Motiga Layoffs
3. Re: Gigantic Delayed; Motiga Layoffs Dec 7, 2015, 12:47 SimplyMonk

Eh. Art style and concepts seemed intriguing. Looked better than most of the MOBA-Shooters that the big publishers are putting out. In particular I'm happy they there are attempting to make the game cross-platform in terms of your account and who you can play with.

Only Xbox One and Windows 10 though... If there was also PS4 in there I might care more.

News Comments > Paladins Closed Beta
6. Re: Paladins Closed Beta Nov 17, 2015, 13:27 SimplyMonk

Looks interesting, but the card mechanic I see in the bottom right worries me.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Launches
8. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Launches Nov 10, 2015, 12:01 SimplyMonk

Is this a mod for Fallout 4?  

News Comments > Overwatch Preorders & Details
5. Re: Overwatch Preorders & Details Nov 7, 2015, 03:20 SimplyMonk

ViRGE wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:56:
$40 and what so far appears to be no microtransactions? They've got my attention. There are far too few "pay once and play" MP games these days.

As long as I like what I see once I have a chance to play the beta, it would be an easy buy.

I think a MP-only game can't survive in today's environment without being F2P. MAYBE Blizzard can pull it off because of their fan base, but MP only games need a large player base so that matchmaking and queue times are short and your barrier to entry is as small as possible.

Honestly, I would of loved it if Evolve and Titanfall had been F2P selling mechs, loadouts, hunters and monsters. I pay for the parts of the game I like and am assured that there will always been a number of free players around for quick matchmaking times months down the road.

I would put money on seeing microtransactions for this down the road though. Might be 6 months or a year before we see them, but the game's design just begs for it. They might even pull a TF2 and switch to F2P completely at some point at which I'll give the game a gander rather than risk $40 on something that, although unlikely due to the "It's Blizzard" factor, will be dead in a few months.

News Comments > Overwatch Not F2P?
41. Re: Overwatch Not F2P? Nov 7, 2015, 03:12 SimplyMonk

ViRGE wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:26:
Am I the only person that would look forward to a full price retail no-microtransactions game? F2P/MT has ruined so many games over the last few years...

If you think Blizzard won't still end up charging $$$ for additional skins and heroes down the road, you are fooling yourself.

It is Blizzard though so it is possible that you might get some new heroes or skins for free or they will just keep the current hero pool stable like TF2, but I wouldn't bet on it. In 6 months time I'm sure you'll see the microtransactions start to move in.

News Comments > Overwatch Not F2P?
5. Re: Overwatch Not F2P? Nov 5, 2015, 18:59 SimplyMonk

... and interest in this title reduced to zero.

Thanks for playing, Blizzard! Good luck next time on "Get My Money!"

That is if it is a $60 retail and not F2P with $20 in-store option available. Basically, I look at this game the same way I did Evolve. Could be really fun with a low barrier to entry and microtransactions.

Asking $60 upfront for just TF2 Clone? Nope. Would wind up having dead match making like Titanfall and Evolve a few months after release. Multiplayer only games need as low a barrier to entry as possible so your paying customers never have a negative experience trying to just get into the game.

News Comments > No More WoW Numbers
33. Re: No More WoW Numbers Nov 4, 2015, 14:47 SimplyMonk

"Subscribers numbers are no longer relevant as we've stopped a strategy of enticing new people to play the game. Instead, we've decided to focus on milking the loyal fans we have that are too invested and addicted of everything they have while at the same time lowering costs on our end. Win, win.

The new metric we'll report is average DPS or Dollars Per Soul"

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2015, 11:51 SimplyMonk

BobBob wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 11:28:
I thought all of the stormtroopers were clones of Jango Fett. Did the genome recipe change? Am I way off on the storyline?

P.S. Star Trek > Star Wars

Not a die hard Star Wars fan, but I believe I read somewhere that sometime after the Clone Wars but before the Death Star the cloning facilities were destroyed and most of the Storm Troopers are now conscripted. Which is why New Hope+ Storm Troopers are morons that can't shoot and Clone Wars Troopers are bad asses.

News Comments > 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta
6. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 13:16 SimplyMonk

Kxmode wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:13:
I'm not a FPS person.

Same. Something I'd enjoy with bots and a few friends. Not something I'd enjoy with the random public.

I have enjoyed Destiny quite a bit since the expansion, but it fits the "bots and a few friends" template.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 12:45 SimplyMonk

Yay! Birthdays! Going to buy myself something nice via your Amazon link as a gift.  

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
31. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 12:04 SimplyMonk

Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 11:59:
We're a friendly bunch.

On average. We have our outliers.

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
26. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 11:35 SimplyMonk

NasWulf wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 10:56:
Also to those saying they will spend backer funds on lawyers just remeber, they already have a legal team on payroll. You as backers have been paying them all along. How do you think TOS and other legal doc get drawn up?

The lawyer you get to write boilerplate stuff like a TOS and other simple legal documents isn't the same one you want pursuing a defamation lawsuit. Like doctors, lawyers tend to specialize in one field and aren't that equipped to handle others although they should have enough sense to keep their mouth shut in cases like this.

https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

As that article points out, their in-house lawyer didn't have the common sense to keep his mouth shut and decided to name drop a very expensive law firm which I 100% guarantee isn't on retainer already so that would be a huge hit to their finances would they pursue legal action with that law firm.

717 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo