Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 793 (Graduate)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fable Return Rumor
7. Re: Fable Return Rumor Jan 17, 2018, 14:08 SimplyMonk

What is the Fable IP anyways? The world is pretty bland. Fart jokes and karma systems tied to character appearance?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic on the Future of Paragon
1. Re: Epic on the Future of Paragon Jan 17, 2018, 12:05 SimplyMonk

Countdown to announcement of Paragon: Battlegrounds...  

News Comments > PC FINAL FANTASY XV in March; Specs [Updated]
7. Re: PC FINAL FANTASY XV Next Month; Specs Jan 16, 2018, 13:12 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 13:00:
The amount of cut content was just absurd and I can't support Square anymore with that kind of shit going on.

Everything you say is valid, although I will say I enjoyed the combat a lot more once you opened up some of the more esoteric Royal Arms and could mix things up. I did only one play through and felt no urge to do the New Game+ mode so that is also saying something.

News Comments > Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested
12. Re: Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested Jan 16, 2018, 12:09 SimplyMonk

Timmeh wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 11:09:
scary world we live in now where you can get arrested for cheating in a video game.

That's just Fucked up. There is no other way to put it.

Welcome to the Corporatocracy. Any act that looks to hurt a company's bottom line, particularly in China, I imagine would carry some legal punishment in this day and age.

News Comments > PC FINAL FANTASY XV in March; Specs [Updated]
4. Re: PC FINAL FANTASY XV Next Month; Specs Jan 16, 2018, 11:36 SimplyMonk

Jagacademy wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 10:38:
This game had a tremendous amount of hype behind it (being Final Fantasy), but once it was released...crickets. Seems as if it was instantly forgotten.

It was a solid addition to the franchise but nothing spectacular and, as a fan of the series, although you came to like the characters and their boy band feel, they were largely forgettable with very shallow back stories and almost no mystery. The open world, dungeons, and combat were highly enjoyable however. Just nothing of note to make a lasting impression like some previous titles.

My biggest criticism is that a lot of the "big moments" in the story fall flat or happen off screen and you are told about them through just talking to random NPCs. Where the game starts you off with a good open world experience and group mechanics, the second half of the game is literally on rails (you spend a good portion of it riding a train), limited environments, and all your group/character building is thrown out the window till the very end. The story wraps up nicely, but the second half of the game needed a lot more love.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Plans Include Eververse Changes
5. Re: Destiny 2 Plans Include Eververse Changes Jan 12, 2018, 12:14 SimplyMonk

TL;DR: Enjoy the end of Destiny 2 BETA in Fall 2018.

Destiny. Destiny never changes.

Bungie is now the poster child for half-baked games released one year before they should of been.

News Comments > PUBG Testing New Crates
25. Re: PUBG Testing New Crates Jan 11, 2018, 08:59 SimplyMonk

Gold is farmable in GW2 and can be directly converted into gems and a lot of the best legendary skins can be sold for gold. Iím sorry, but I fail to see a big difference in the mechanics of the economies. It is a little harder to turn gold or items into real money, but third party gold farmers still exist in GW2.

The reason why things are stable in GW2 is because GW2ís popularity isnít what it was and Arena Net does a good job policing it making it harder to game the system. My real point here is that all PUBG needs to do is better policing and the system is by far the least egregious micro transaction system that exists.

23. Re: PUBG Testing New Crates Jan 10, 2018, 14:19 SimplyMonk

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 02:39:
If youre so concerned about getting money with cosmetics, then do it like GW2 does.

I guess you having been paying attention to GW2, but just recently the ran a loot box for mount skins. That being said, there isn't a good deal of difference between some of GW2's offerings, which do have a few loot box mechanics, and this. I think the main thing is that GW2 does a much better job of policing them game and combating cheaters/farmers as they directly hurt their bottom line.

GW2 still has issues with cheaters and farmers, but they aren't as prevalent because it is harder to turn a profit and make lucrative.

18. Re: PUBG Testing New Crates Jan 9, 2018, 17:09 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 16:56:
Shorter SimplyMonk: "It's the same as buying in a store! Well, except for the gambling part."

Same as buying in a store if you buy from other players.

15. Re: PUBG Testing New Crates Jan 9, 2018, 15:29 SimplyMonk

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 14:31:
Never liked those either because of the same reasons.
And yes, acceptance of them has enabled even more audacious stuff, like this.

How is this audacious? These are cosmetics items that probably wouldn't even be made if they didn't supply an additional revenue stream to the game. The model is fair and you have all the information you need to make decisions if you want to participate or not.

RNG didn't give you the item you wanted? Well go trade your item in for cash and buy the one you want at the market determined price. Don't want to deal with loot crates at all? Fine. Just go buy the items outright from other players.

There is as much gambling in this system as you are willing to accept. With how things are setup, the prices will stay fixed to supply and drop rate based on market pressures. It is almost no difference than if they sold the items in a store for a fixed price except if you want to gamble a little and get lucky you can.

11. Re: PUBG Testing New Crates Jan 9, 2018, 13:56 SimplyMonk

These are cosmetic item crates that have their contents and drop rates fully displayed and are part of a system that allows open trading.

If you are going to get up in arms about this, I don't know what to tell you except ask how that fight of yours against Magic: The Gathering is going and every TCG ever released? Not well I imagine, but I guess they haven't caused the downfall of society either.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Fans Urge Everse Reverse
3. Re: Destiny 2 Fans Urge Everse Reverse Dec 26, 2017, 11:28 SimplyMonk

Eververse is only P2W in the sense that a large part of Destiny is trying to obtain cosmetic gear and Bungie launched Destiny 2 with all the interesting cosmetics in Eververse with nothing for dedicated players to actually strive for. In Destiny 1, all the gorgeous cosmetic gear was tied to completing achievements or milestones in the game such as doing raids on Hard Mode or beating certain challenge encounters. Destiny 2 has none of that and everything that looks like it had any sort of design thought put into is in Eververse.

So yeah... You can dump tons of cash into Eververse and get a really pretty armor set, a quality-of-life ghost, sparrow, and ship but none of those are really that integral to game play to call it P2W. Comparing this bullshit to EA's bullshit is comparing shit oranges to shit apples. Both have valid reasons to be pissed at, but just removing Eververse from Destiny 2 won't fix anything. If there was actual armor sets, ghosts, sparrows, and ships to obtain outside of Eververse, then 90% of these complaints would disappear.

News Comments > Bungie Backs off Destiny 2 Misstep
9. Re: Bungie Backs off Destiny 2 Misstep Dec 12, 2017, 14:12 SimplyMonk

Maybe I'm just overly critical at this point, but I don't understand why people are considering this a good thing for Bungie to do. They are literally doing the bare minimum they need to do to prevent people from returning their games based on Sony/Microsoft policy.

Basically, since Bungie modified the game such that certain achievements were no longer attainable and content was removed without buying the DLC, Amazon and Microsoft (Sony was giving them time to fix it) were allowing people to get full refunds on Destiny 2. So now, Bungie does the bare minimum they need to do to avoid that situation at the cost of hurting people who bought the DLC and delaying their planned events.

This was a good moment for Bungie to step up and make some grand showing of support for the community with their lackluster release and first DLC, but instead they scrape together this patch as quickly as they can to protect their wallets.

You know what would of also solved this problem and resulted in a ton of good will? Give CoO away to all players for free and promise a 4th DLC to season pass holders. This DLC is largely a disappointment in general and although this would be costly, you win a lot of customer satisfaction and then can plan a more permanent fix to the issue.

I'm sure though that anyone that suggested anything like that to Activision was quickly fired for not aligning with the company vision of milking players for as much as they can.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 16:57 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 14:13:
They are boring and childish.

Sure.

And how is a religious kook - Jedi

I think once you have a physical manifestation of your religion with testable and quantifiable effects and explanations... you cease to be a "kook".

who goes around brain washing - Jedi mind trick

The implications of the Jedi mind trick are worrisome, but I think the films show how bring frivolous with that power leads to dire consequences.

and maiming and killing people with a sword made of light

Remind me where Rey did this again?

a good role model for children?

I mean... Rey is probably a better role model than most other women portrayed in film or TV.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
41. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 18:27 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 18:14:
Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:12:
Actually its easy, at some point even liars start believing their own lies.

That reminds me of that old saying, 'It's not a lie...if you believe it.'

Is that an old saying? I'm pretty sure it was from Seinfeld and although that show is pretty old now, that is still bullshit.

But how does the old saying go? "Most old sayings are bullshit."

25. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 13:51 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:23:
SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:15:
I'm not calling Hearthstone P2W here,

Why not? How is Heartstone NOT P2W?

I've played TCGs all my life and although the fact that you can't trade cards in CCGs, like Hearthstone, means I despise it with a burning passion and find its business model deceitful... Just because you can buy every card in the game instantly rather than grinding them doesn't necessarily make it P2W to me as you still need to have some skill to play the game.

As I type this though and think about how much of Hearthstone is just playing out your hand and hoping to draw a perfect curve... I'm more willing to agree with you.

8. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 11:15 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:51:
You want to "balance" them by giving that idiot some cosmetics to throw his money at so that he feels better about himself while not pissing off everyone else who bought the game.

They didn't want cosmetic money. They wanted P2W money like you see in games like Clash of Clans or the old Mafia Facebook game. They didn't want people dropping cash just till they unlocked a collection or got all the skins they wanted. They wanted people dropping cash repeatedly to stay relevant in the metagame.

They basically wanted a Hearthstone MTX model in their shooter game. I'm not calling Hearthstone P2W here, but when you try and take Hearthstone's Pay-2-Compete model and try and apply it to a shooter, unless you do something extremely creative and innovative, it will end up as a flawed P2W system.

Epic's Paragon has been trying to add the CCG model to the MOBA genre as well with some limited success, but kinda runs into the same problem that without a complex and strategic base game it becomes more P2W than Pay-2-Compete.

Curious to see if anyone can really get it done well.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Released
2. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 15:29 SimplyMonk

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 15:21:
When does battle.net change names?

They nixed that. Or rather they just changed it to "Blizzard Battle.net". Someone realized that preserving decades long name recognition was a good thing.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/14/16145854/blizzard-battle-net-name

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow
13. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 09:07 SimplyMonk

Big step back from Destiny 1 in terms of content, loot mechanics, replay ability, character customization and gameplay mechanics. That being said, for a first timer the game is solid and the gun play itself is great with some humerus bits in the all too short storyline. If you want to see a literal salt mine though, check out the subreddit. Place is super depressing now, but for mostly valid reasons. Like I said, real big disappointment for those that loved Destiny 1.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
7. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:29 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:24:
On moderated player-run servers this isn't an issue. Why don't they try that?

As much as I appreciate the sentiment and also miss the Quake/Counterstrike style shooter model with player run servers and mods, this is a micro-transaction based game and I doubt they want to change their complete business model at this point.

793 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo