Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 715 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
5. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 13:34 SimplyMonk

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 13:24:
I don't understand exactly what's happening, what are the charge backs for, and how does that get someone (other than the CC company) a profit?

And while the game isn't my style, yeah, it sucks that this is hurting a small developer.

My guess is that the scammers will buy a copy from their site, sell the free Steam key and then do a chargeback on the credit card so the sellers gets hit with the chargeback fee, the loss of the sale and now a free copy of their game being sold for profit by someone or some shady website. Bonus points if the credit cards are also stolen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Turbine Layoffs
1. Re: Turbine Layoffs Jul 8, 2016, 11:55 SimplyMonk

"...will continue to operate as they do now."

Don't expect any new content.

News Comments > Evolve Countdown
14. Re: Evolve Countdown Jul 6, 2016, 17:09 SimplyMonk

F2P needed to happen at launch or three months after release. At this point it might not prove enough and this sort of announcement style for a game most consider dead and a failure is laughable.

Even with F2P the game has some gameplay balance issues it needs to address as well.

News Comments > New Blood Bowl 2 DLC This Month
1. Re: New Blood Bowl 2 DLC This Month Jul 1, 2016, 11:25 SimplyMonk

"Unread Team"? Really starting to stretch it with the faction concepts if Illiterates are being called out. At this rate 40K might even bring back Squats.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
9. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 13:49 SimplyMonk

Pretty fantastic sale intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJW_ML5aE9E  

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Plans
5. Re: Overwatch Competitive Plans Jun 23, 2016, 11:50 SimplyMonk

Ravor wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 11:10:
I'd like to see a MOBA mode personally with lanes, creeps, etc. Probably asking too much though

Some Man vs Machine stuff wouldn't be bad, but a lane/creep mode would be kinda weak in my opinion without items, leveling, or any sort of meaningful progression for the characters.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 20, 2016, 13:29 SimplyMonk

Fully automated cars can't come soon enough. Would pay anything to get an extra hour or sleep while driving too and from work.  

News Comments > New Turtle Rock Studios IP
6. Re: New Turtle Rock Studios IP Jun 20, 2016, 11:41 SimplyMonk

MajorD wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 10:59:
Hopefully all involved parties (Developers, Publishers, etc.) learned a lesson with their last release. The only thing that 'Evolved' was the DLC money grabs.

Yeah. As much as I loved the Alpha and playing as the Monster, their marketing and DLC completely turned me off. Honestly, if they were going to go the route they did, they should of just made the game F2P and then charged for the extra hunters/monsters. At least then you'd probably still have a viable player base for the few paying customers.

Still plan on picking it up when I see Evolve + All DLC on Steam for ~$10 or something. Wouldn't be opposed to paying more, but the fact that the game is multiplayer only and they have a large barrier to entry means I probably wouldn't even get $10 worth and long wait times.

News Comments > Quake Champions Announced
18. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 13, 2016, 12:15 SimplyMonk

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 12:00:
But Quake 1 was just a bunch of level's thrown together.

Yeah. I'm sure when they were making Quake 1 it was more of an extension of a tech/engine demo with heavy DOOM influences than anything they wanted to build an IP or world around but I think there was room there to do some real world building.

Maybe it is just me coming off a good Dark Souls 3 stint, but I would love Quake 1 to be expanded on as a very subtle Lovecraft/Bloodborne/Dark Souls style shooter where the story and characters aren't forced in your face but rather gleaned from the environment the player finds themselves in. Maybe even take it a little towards horror by focusing on atmosphere and physics based level solving which is something I loved a lot in Quake 1.

Who knows if that would be something marketable though and more of a personal guilty pleasure/nostalgia. Overquake/Quakewatch just sounds like setting themselves up for failure.

13. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 13, 2016, 11:20 SimplyMonk

Trevellian wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 11:09:
Thanks for not making a Quake game, Bethesda.

In all honesty though, what is a Quake game? Quake 1 is nothing like Quake 2 is nothing like Quake 3. Even the fan base is divided just be responses in this thread. A lot of people liked Quake 3, but I hated it and much prefer the atmosphere and style of Quake 1.

2. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 13, 2016, 09:46 SimplyMonk

Damn. Was hoping for something more akin to Quake 1 than Quake 3.  

News Comments > Paragon Essentials Edition Released
10. Re: Paragon Essentials Edition Released Jun 7, 2016, 18:48 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 14:49:
It has bots, it has more maps coming but, from what I understand, games like League of Legends are played on 1 map (is this true?), and I don't know about modes because I'm not a MOBA guy.

LoL and DOTA2 both are primarily played on a single map as well. HotS is the only MOBA to really break out of that mold for their main focus. LoL has some alternate game modes which are there as more of a mini-game more so than their main focus and obviously no tournaments happen using that mode. DOTA2 has expanded to be a Custom Map platform similar to Warcraft 3 and Starcraft's Custom Maps. Again, more mini-games than anything DOTA2 pushes as their main product.

SMITE has some various game modes, but I don't pay enough attention to that game to know how it fares on the tournament scene or what HI-REZ focuses on. It is probably the easiest comparison to make with Paragon though. Both are third person MOBAs with focus on skill shots and developed by relatively small independent companies. I honestly respect HI-REZ a lot for their business model with SMITE as they operate similar to LoL but give you the option of buying ever current and future hero for $30. The game has just never hooked me as my personal preference has always been DotA, DOTA2 and a little HotS when I don't have an hour for a single game.

Paragon has a deck/random card pack mechanic in it instead of items and equipment you buy during a single match which I really don't care for. You can't buy the card packs directly, but you can buy boosters that make you earn packs faster... so not much of a difference.

From my experience with it, there is nothing that Paragon brings to the genre that I find unique or interesting, but it might split SMITE's player base a bit for those that want a different IP and art style. The pacing is a lot slower than SMITE as well though so some people used to more DotA style pacing may appreciate that.

News Comments > Overwatch Launches
25. Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 15:03 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on May 24, 2016, 11:14:
No, but it turned what could have bene an interesting post into whiny nasal pre-teen mallrat. Didn't you notice? If not, why not? ;P

Maybe it is a generational thing and the fact that I honestly curse like a sailor, but I think his usage was pretty spot on in relating how he felt on how easily he can handle that combo. Maybe I'm just too desensitized to curse words but there is definitely a difference in saying "easily handled" and "easily fucking handled" that doesn't imply to me that the speaker is childish. More so that he wanted to express the confidence at which he could aggressively handle it. But yeah. I don't know. "Fuck" is an odd word in its usage.

If nothing else I took more notice of your post coming across as as someone who is overly sensitive which is an oddity to me on the internet.

How many cut-up kittens do you have in your basement?

This comment was edited on May 24, 2016, 15:12.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Total War: WARHAMMER
12. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Total War: WARHAMMER May 24, 2016, 14:48 SimplyMonk

Leper wrote on May 24, 2016, 14:06:
Is the refunds policy applied when a pre-order is cancelled? Seems like they'd get their money back in this case. I can still imagine their frustration, however.

Yeah. I imagine they would, but that would also assume that they were paying attention to the gaming news right before the release date to see if it still had Chinese translations.

Again though, I can't find a reliable source on if it was promised or when it was canceled, but I also didn't try to hard and can't read Chinese.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Total War: WARHAMMER
7. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Total War: WARHAMMER May 24, 2016, 13:27 SimplyMonk

Task wrote on May 24, 2016, 11:27:
"this review is to counterbalance negative reviews, ignore Chinese spammers." lol what?

Can't find a reliable source, but some people are saying that the game was promised to be translated into Chinese but got canceled yesterday and screwing over a lot of Chinese people that pre-ordered based on that. So a lot of the negative reviews are "Great game, but no Chinese."

News Comments > Overwatch Launches
18. Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 09:12 SimplyMonk

CJ_Parker wrote on May 24, 2016, 08:58:
sauron wrote on May 24, 2016, 08:36:
Trevellian wrote on May 24, 2016, 07:48:
That combo is easily fucking handled by a Tracer Ult, Pharah, hell even a decent Junkrat would look at that combo as candy.

No offense, but is the cursing really necessary at 7:48am? You can make your point without looking like a 13 year old.

What the fucking fuck is wrong with fucking 7:48AM?

Whew. Thanks. For a minute there I thought I was transferred to some fucked up alternate reality where the Amish had won World War 2 and instilled a perverse social order where cursing was now regulated to certain hours of the day. That still doesn't explain why I'm typing on a cow attached to a butter churn with miles of twine... But that might just be the whiskey.

News Comments > Paragon Free Weekend Coming
3. Re: Paragon Free Weekend Coming May 19, 2016, 08:52 SimplyMonk

It's enjoyable, but at the end of the day I still prefer playing SMITE or HotS over it when I'm looking for a quick MOBA fix. Maybe if it goes the SMITE route and add some interesting maps and modes it might be a contender as the game is visually stunning with a slightly slower pacing. Still not sold on the deck concept vs actual itemization, but that is purely personal preference. I think it works well from a design standpoint.  

News Comments > The International 2016 Battle Pass
1. Re: The International 2016 Battle Pass May 17, 2016, 11:06 SimplyMonk

Time for my annual "I think I have enough time to play DOTA" followed by the inevitable "I in no way have enough time to play DOTA".  

News Comments > Atlas Reactor Free Weekend
9. Re: Atlas Reactor Free Weekend May 13, 2016, 17:53 SimplyMonk

Jagacademy wrote on May 13, 2016, 15:23:
People complain that every game is a carbon copy of another, while simultaneously complaining when a game dares to do a single thing differently.

There is a difference between complaining about something because it is different and you don't like change and giving an honest critique. To play this game optimally, you'd want to be talking with your team and organizing your plays perfectly with each other. You know what makes that hard to do? Your teammates and the turn timer.

Its like playing Speed Chess but you have 5 people taking turns and 3 of them don't talk to anyone else and do whatever they want.

I've played about ~20 games and at the end I felt like I'd enjoy the game a lot more if I controlled my entire team.

News Comments > 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta
13. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 13, 2016, 00:05 SimplyMonk

deqer wrote on May 12, 2016, 23:03:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 12, 2016, 22:21:
I enjoyed playing this a lot more on my PS4 than PC for some reason. Felt more comfortable sitting on the couch in a party with a controller than mouse and keyboard. That being said $60 for multiplayer only... I think I'll pass for now. Wait for a sale or some new modes to come out that look interesting.
$60 is for the Origins Edition, which gives you bonus items. You can buy the Standard Edition for $40.

PS4 is Origins only. The $40 version is only available for PC and I much preferred the game on the PS4. Probably look for it in the used bin at GameStop in a few months.

715 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo