Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2017, 15:56 SimplyMonk

Pigeon wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 15:35:
I feel like there's been more plot armor since they've gotten away from the books. And I realize by saying that I've probably condemned a major character to death in the next episode

Although I agree with the increase of plot armor, I also feel like the decrease in the quality of writing has put the characters in more situations where they need plot armor to get out of their poorly conceived messes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Johnny Depp Co-Producing The Secret World TV Show
1. Re: Johnny Depp Co-Producing The Secret World TV Show Aug 15, 2017, 11:01 SimplyMonk

For a game I enjoy the stories in more than the actual game play, this might not be a horrible idea.  

News Comments > Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game
11. Re: Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game Aug 9, 2017, 17:49 SimplyMonk

Silent Bob wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 16:52:
I would take almost a decade of silence as a good indicator that Valve isn't working on anything for Half-Life. Time to move on folks.

... or if they have been working on it, they haven't been able to produce anything that could possibly live up to the hype.

News Comments > Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game
4. Re: Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game Aug 9, 2017, 12:04 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 11:28:
Bludd wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 11:05:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 10:28:
Another card game, no thanks!
Yeah, what's with all these shitty card games? Who is buying this stuff?
I am guessing nobody because they're free to play.
I'm totally addicted to Gwent though. It's by far the best one out there imho

I've been playing HEX which is a TCG and loving it. Gwent is solid as well for a CCG. I will say that the space it at least evolving. There are a bunch of card games out there, but each one at least tries to bring something new to the table. Sorta like the real paper card game market.

From the little they had said so far, it sounds pretty unique with some heavy DOTA influences in not just lore but there being three lanes/boards and 5 heroes you build your deck with.

Regardless, I'll give it a shot. Would be great if they went for a Living Card Game model (all cards unlocked for free/single purchase) and you just pay for cosmetics like with DOTA2.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 11 Live
5. Re: Diablo III Season 11 Live Jul 21, 2017, 14:10 SimplyMonk

Darks wrote on Jul 21, 2017, 11:31:
It drives me crazy when I get a toon geared up and setup to do Greater T-Rifts, but the next season totally wrecks that toons build and makes it now obsolete because they want you to use the newer sets.

Uhhh... I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the seasonal sets aren't new sets. At least not every time. The few seasons I played in game sets that had already existed in the game for a long time since I was looking up set builds from ~2015 for them.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 11 This Month
7. Re: Diablo III Season 11 This Month Jul 6, 2017, 15:01 SimplyMonk

Yeah. The D3 seasons scratch my ARPG itch. Every couple months I burn a few hours in it, get some new cosmetics and put it away till next season satisfied. All good. Might pick up the Necro DLC for this run but not sure.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
14. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2017, 18:10 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 17:54:
Sentencing varies depending on the drugs involved which is why you see loads of pot dealers and very few heroin traffickers.

No.

It has more to do with the fact that growing opium requires far more land to get a significant yield of heroine from. You see more pot dealers because it can be grown domestically and discretely without the need to have connections with poppy farms in Asia and the means to import it. Criminals rarely think or even know of the potential jail times for the crimes they commit when it comes down to what type of drugs they want to traffic. What they do know, is usually wrong.

A prime example of correlation not being the same as causation.

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering RPG Plans
19. Re: Magic: The Gathering RPG Plans Jun 8, 2017, 08:48 SimplyMonk

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 18:58:
Cryptic + Perfect World = "I'm Out!!"

In all honesty just give me a perfect Magic: The Gathering card game online with all the cards. In other words MTO with modern graphics and matchmaking.

Go play HEX: https://www.hextcg.com/

It is a digital TCG that plays similar to MTG but with a good client and secondary PVE progression. Basically MTG Online, but made by people that know what they are doing in the digital space.

News Comments > Secret World Legends Next Month
1. Re: Secret World Legends Next Month May 9, 2017, 11:02 SimplyMonk

One of the few good things I can say about Funcom is that they never give up. Will give this a whirl as I always enjoyed Secret World's story, but the combat and price point were off putting.  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2017, 16:53 SimplyMonk

VaranDragon wrote on May 8, 2017, 16:41:
Maybe if they let you play as Cthulhu, that would work better

Here you go.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310/Cthulhu_Saves_the_World/

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2017, 12:58 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on May 8, 2017, 12:50:
I'd argue that there's a difference between "Mythos-inspired" and "Lovecraftian". If you have Cthulhu Mario Kart that's a "mythos" game.

If your game meditates on racist imperialist Christian xenophobia and postulates that just outside the doorstep of civilized euro-centric culture there is a thriving, writhing, pagan world that doesn't give a shit about you and if exposed to it you would become tainted, corrupted, and probably insane as your properly gentrified mind snapped, then your game is probably "Lovecraftian".

Perfectly said.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend
9. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend May 4, 2017, 16:24 SimplyMonk

Slick wrote on May 4, 2017, 14:43:
Oh whatever, in the sea of cookie-cutter open-world Ubisoft games (liberate strongholds, yawn) The Division was a breath of fresh air....

And the DLCs were actually good...

That's fair. Too be honest, I played primarily before the DLC was released and up until the second Incursion was released. The end game at that point just felt so badly done from a design perspective that I didn't have any confidence that they could fix it with DLC so I never went back. The shift between the tactics you used while leveling and in the Dark Zone compared to the strategies you needed to use in the Incursions was too jarring for me personally. The game play was drastically different and of little appeal in the Incursions with the only challenge being provided by NPCs that rush you, realizing they take 50 rounds to kill and can one-shot players.

News Comments > Steam Gifting Changes
20. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 16:04 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on May 4, 2017, 14:46:
I love the idea that human rights should be basic rights for all people in every nation. Isn't it funny that these rights somehow stop when it comes to economy? ;)

Being human is the same regardless of nation. Economies and cost of living are not. Would be nice if they were. Fix that problem first and we'll continue talking about regional pricing.

19. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 15:55 SimplyMonk

Orogogus wrote on May 4, 2017, 15:14:
Well, that's not necessarily true.

I 100% agree. Removing regional pricing is unrealistic and even if enacted would play out much differently that just highest price for everyone. Finding the optimal price would probably land at just the US price point and then cutting out other regions where that isn't profitable like you said.

I stopped putting effort into my points when my fellow conversation participant compared selling Porches to Video Games.

14. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 14:36 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on May 4, 2017, 14:30:
Oh, come on. How about buying a Porsche in Moldovia? Are they selling it at roughly 20% the US price? No? But another luxury good like a game is sold at that price. Why? Because... REASONS.

Selling Porsches and selling digital products are vastly different enterprises and not even worth having a debate over the problems with this comparison.

Suffice it to say, without regional pricing all regions would have the most expensive price which would probably be $70 AUD for games.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend
7. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend May 4, 2017, 13:45 SimplyMonk

Nope. This game is a trap that free weekends are designed to exploit. Great game up until max level, then big shift in game play as everything just becomes a bullet sponge and just grind, grind, grind. The Tom Clancy IP/Universe I think really hampered this game in being able to make appealing end game content at least on the level of Destiny. Which honestly isn't that great compared to other MMOs/Loot Games, but is enjoyable.  

12. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 13:39 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:35:
Fucked up logic would be buying the cheaply produced product at high prices to support what those large corporations are doing! This would actually be a confirmation and support of this way to maximize profits.

Yeah. Buying 100% verified US made products is your best bet then, but like I said though, I don't think game developers exploit impoverished regions enough to use that as justification to pirate or circumvent regional pricing.

They are perfectly fine exploiting US programmers and IT staff with obscene overtime, screwing them out of royalties and code-and-release hiring practices so if you want to use that as justification, go ahead.

Just don't cost the poor people of Moldova their copy of Mass Effect: Andromeda in the process... although maybe that would be for the best all things considered.

10. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 13:24 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:53:
I respect this as much as they should respect that the world is more or less one market now where people go for the cheapest price just like the companies go for the cheapest production prices. ;)

So... large corporations exploit impoverished regions to the detriment of their society so I should too? That's kinda fucked up logic.

Plus, I don't think many game developers, outside of support staff, exploit impoverished regions like the companies you probably bought your phone, clothes and shoes from and support staff jobs in those regions would probably be a godsend in some respects.

Not saying that regional prices are all good and fuzzy since they do exist purely to maximize profits, but they do have benefits for the regions they exist in.

Except for Australia because fuck Australia apparently.

Hell, without regional pricing, we'd probably all be paying the AUD price for our games.

7. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 12:45 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:19:
Regional pricing - maximize profits? ;)

Well, yeah. Obviously it is done to maximize profits but regional pricing is the only way certain regions would have a chance to play these games. You aren't going to sell a game at a $60 price point in a region where average household take home is $200/month.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
20. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 17:44 SimplyMonk

Huh. Interesting they would of gone this route. Command & Conquer had very little luck going for their MOBA/RTS mix as well, although they went a different route than DoW3 seems to have gone. Probably won't pick this up on release obviously, but I'll watch a few streams and if the gameplay/modes look fun a few months from now maybe pick it up in a Steam sale or Humble Bundle.  

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo