Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 816 (Graduate)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Apex Legends Developers vs. Gamers Flamewar

7. Re: Apex Legends Developers vs. Gamers Flamewar Aug 18, 2019, 19:46 SimplyMonk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 15:28:
"Freeloaders" isn't an insult unless you are an over-sensitive asshat. It's a simple statement of fact when referring to F2P games, where 90-95% of players don't pay a dime

They don’t pay a dime, but they make the game feel alive and give paying customers someone to play against. Otherwise, like a few pay-2-play titles that are multiplayer only, match times gradually begin to climb and the player base dies off.

“Freeloaders” is an openly derogatory term and not really accurate because without the mob of “asshats” the game would be dead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG

22. Re: Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG Jul 11, 2019, 10:24 SimplyMonk

saluk wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 18:41:
We don't need another f2p lord of the rings mmo that's based on the books. Having it be more like the films would have at least differentiated it.

Back when Athlon (a Leyou subsidiary) got the rights to LOTR last year, it was apparently for the pre-book stuff. From what Athlon's president says, the game will be set before the age of men so you won't have any humans running around.

Sounds like the "Years of the Trees"? Elves galore.

News Comments > Amazon Cancels Games, Lays Off Developers

8. Re: Amazon Cancels Games, Lays Off Developers Jun 15, 2019, 04:16 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on Jun 15, 2019, 04:04:
Has Amazon already released a game? I have not heard about it. Is anything close to release?

Couple mobile games and The Grand Tour Game (Console) which was more like an interactive TV show than a stand-alone title.

News Comments > Atlas Reactor Closing

2. Re: Atlas Reactor Closing Apr 18, 2019, 12:50 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on Apr 18, 2019, 12:43:
Sad to lose people lose their jobs but the head honchos should try to cater presumed dead or niche genres like RTS, TBS, and maybe even do single-player, story driven games and not another MOBA or Battle Royale. Maybe they can actually stay in business with some braver approach to gaming.

Uhh... Atlas Reactor wasn’t really a MOBA in the strictest sense. It was actually a competitive, team-based, hero, turn-based/tactics game. It was literally the braver approach to gaming you were asking for. And it died because no one played it.

I didn’t follow it much after the initial release, but it was fairly solid. My big gripe was that it was like playing a tactics game, but one where you had to share control with 3 other people and they wouldn’t always be in line with your strategy. I didn’t feel the multiplayer added much except frustration.

News Comments > More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store

5. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 09:36 SimplyMonk

Will W wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 09:05:
  • If developers/publishers are saving 18% by putting the games on Epic's store, why not give the consumer a 9% discount and keep the other 9% for themselves.

• They believe the average gamer is a sheep who will put up with any nonsense and shenanigans they pull as long as they get they can play their game at the end of the day. Time will tell if they are wrong, but I have a suspicion they are right.

Just selling the games at a discount would of definitely hurt their bottom line and been massively disruptive to their potential future earnings as their customer base would expect that level of discount going forward. Being bullies and assholes while preserving their revenue streams was seen as a better alternative.

News Comments > Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing

30. Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 13:58 SimplyMonk

So Randy prefers the platform that doesn’t offer user reviews. Makes sense.  

News Comments > Valve Responds to EU Complaint

7. Re: Valve Responds to EU Complaint Apr 5, 2019, 17:16 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 15:27:
    I'm sick of being gouged by these fuckers where they sell the exact same product in other places for way less money.

Yeah! Screw poor people with their under-performing economies! Now they'll have to pay a month's worth of their income to enjoy their hobby.

Oh... or were you delusional enough to think publishers would lower their prices to match the lower price? Rolleyes

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September

49. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 16:59 SimplyMonk

...is to embrace new distribution platforms that will contribute to our effort to grow the audience for Borderlands 3

I'm all for waiting for the GOTY edition of BL3. More value for my money + I get to avoid the EGS. That being said, how is this quote not just pure bullshit? If you wanted to grow the audience, you'd release on all available platforms. Not exclusively on one that is hated.

Just say "we did it for the money" so that at least you can say you are honest.

News Comments > Hilarious April Fool's 2019 Roundup #1

16. Re: Hilarious April Fool's Roundup #1 Apr 1, 2019, 14:52 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2019, 12:44:
    Less creative, less risks, far more noise, and it just no longer feels special or unique.

I would disagree, except for one case. "News" sites posting click bait headlines with no real content too them about IPs they don't own. Just feels lazy.

News Comments > Ash Williams Joining Dead by Daylight Next week

1. Re: Ash Williams Joining Dead by Daylight Next week Mar 29, 2019, 12:55 SimplyMonk

Kinda lame making Ash a weaponless victim. Should of made him a Killer instead and the victims in his games get turned into Deadites.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews

12. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2019, 15:12 SimplyMonk

Kain wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 14:39:
    The store was far easier an experience in general when they directly decided what games were going on the service.

For the customer, yes, but for a developer trying to get on the Steam store was politics and already being a big success somewhere else. Being a big success somewhere else usually involved the developer/publisher actually spending money on marketing. Steam disliked the politics part of that side of their business so now they pretty much just serve as a brick-and-mortar store does.

If you want people to know about your product you can't rely on the store owner to market it for you.

News Comments > BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts

3. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 21:11 SimplyMonk

And we’re excited to prove that with Anthem, the best is yet to come.

Of course it is... because what you've released so far is the minimally viable product. Hard not to improve on what is essentially a technical alpha.

News Comments > System Shock 3 Teaser Trailer

7. Re: System Shock 3 Teaser Trailer Mar 19, 2019, 14:07 SimplyMonk

I was disappointed that at no time did she call the viewer a "Hacker". Might not be appropriate to the game's plot line, but I need it for nostalgia.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup

2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 19, 2019, 14:05 SimplyMonk

Goat Simulator, but with a Deer instead. Neat, I guess.

Generally though I don't trust Kickstarters with a very low goal as they are pretty much just money grabs... but this is literally one guy so he is looking for living expenses for a couple months to finish the game.

Sounds legit if Goat Simulator is your thing and think it would be hilarious with a deer instead.

News Comments > The Division 2 Released

8. Re: The Division 2 Released Mar 15, 2019, 13:09 SimplyMonk

Darks wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 12:32:
    Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 10:34:
    The enemy AI isn't quite there yet. Gonna give them some months before I pick this one up.

What? Your delusional. The AI is very cunning and will out flank you to get around you. I have no ideal what you are talking about but your clearly mistaken.

If still suffers from the same problems that Division 1 did. The Yellow Bar (High Damage/Bullet Sponge) enemies don't outright kill you because their AI is dumb and runs around taking cover and letting you plink at them rather then just rushing you and killing you since their TTK is a lot lower than yours.

In Division 1, the most challenging enemies were the Yellow Bar Shotgunners because they would just rush and shotgun you and were bullet-spongey or numerous enough where you couldn't kill them fast enough. I'm only level 6 in D2, but I've already seeng some signs of that. Big Tank guy is a joke because he moves slow. Random Punk Boss with a sub-machine gun is a lot more of a problem because he rushes you.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed D1 and am having fun with D2, but it still has the same problems. Bullet-sponge gangbangers are immersion breaking and ruin a lot of tactics you would use in a cover-based/tactical shooter.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Tease?

7. Re: Borderlands 3 Tease? Mar 13, 2019, 01:08 SimplyMonk

Battle Royale with randomly generated guns.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 23:15 SimplyMonk

The problem with that breakup is that you are just breaking the company up into its individual industry components, most of which would die by themselves without the revenue injected by the Amazon Marketplace. The Marketplace component would then just repeat the process again by investing in these now separate entities or being the primary customer for their services.

You’d essentially just be telling companies they can only invest in one industry.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 14:40 SimplyMonk

Breaking up Amazon, Google, and Facebook won't really do anything for competition unless you literally break apart the companies in a way that they compete against themselves.

Amazon Market place would need to be broken up into different product types.

Facebook would need to be broken up by... media type shared?

Google would need to have its search engine broken up by... I don't even know.

These companies are successful because they are massively convenient and humans are lazy/strive for efficiency. Regulation preventing them from exploiting their market share is more likely to have results than somehow arbitrarily breaking them up.

News Comments > "Spiritual Quake Successor" WRATH: Aeon of Ruin Announced

14. Re: Mar 7, 2019, 12:40 SimplyMonk

If map design is interesting I'm down.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Game Director Moves On

2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Game Director Moves On Oct 14, 2018, 13:02 SimplyMonk

Nope. Lost Vikings Battle Royals game.  

816 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >