Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 761 (Graduate)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bungie Backs off Destiny 2 Misstep
9. Re: Bungie Backs off Destiny 2 Misstep Dec 12, 2017, 14:12 SimplyMonk

Maybe I'm just overly critical at this point, but I don't understand why people are considering this a good thing for Bungie to do. They are literally doing the bare minimum they need to do to prevent people from returning their games based on Sony/Microsoft policy.

Basically, since Bungie modified the game such that certain achievements were no longer attainable and content was removed without buying the DLC, Amazon and Microsoft (Sony was giving them time to fix it) were allowing people to get full refunds on Destiny 2. So now, Bungie does the bare minimum they need to do to avoid that situation at the cost of hurting people who bought the DLC and delaying their planned events.

This was a good moment for Bungie to step up and make some grand showing of support for the community with their lackluster release and first DLC, but instead they scrape together this patch as quickly as they can to protect their wallets.

You know what would of also solved this problem and resulted in a ton of good will? Give CoO away to all players for free and promise a 4th DLC to season pass holders. This DLC is largely a disappointment in general and although this would be costly, you win a lot of customer satisfaction and then can plan a more permanent fix to the issue.

I'm sure though that anyone that suggested anything like that to Activision was quickly fired for not aligning with the company vision of milking players for as much as they can.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 16:57 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 14:13:
They are boring and childish.

Sure.

And how is a religious kook - Jedi

I think once you have a physical manifestation of your religion with testable and quantifiable effects and explanations... you cease to be a "kook".

who goes around brain washing - Jedi mind trick

The implications of the Jedi mind trick are worrisome, but I think the films show how bring frivolous with that power leads to dire consequences.

and maiming and killing people with a sword made of light

Remind me where Rey did this again?

a good role model for children?

I mean... Rey is probably a better role model than most other women portrayed in film or TV.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
41. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 18:27 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 18:14:
Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:12:
Actually its easy, at some point even liars start believing their own lies.

That reminds me of that old saying, 'It's not a lie...if you believe it.'

Is that an old saying? I'm pretty sure it was from Seinfeld and although that show is pretty old now, that is still bullshit.

But how does the old saying go? "Most old sayings are bullshit."

25. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 13:51 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:23:
SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:15:
I'm not calling Hearthstone P2W here,

Why not? How is Heartstone NOT P2W?

I've played TCGs all my life and although the fact that you can't trade cards in CCGs, like Hearthstone, means I despise it with a burning passion and find its business model deceitful... Just because you can buy every card in the game instantly rather than grinding them doesn't necessarily make it P2W to me as you still need to have some skill to play the game.

As I type this though and think about how much of Hearthstone is just playing out your hand and hoping to draw a perfect curve... I'm more willing to agree with you.

8. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 11:15 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:51:
You want to "balance" them by giving that idiot some cosmetics to throw his money at so that he feels better about himself while not pissing off everyone else who bought the game.

They didn't want cosmetic money. They wanted P2W money like you see in games like Clash of Clans or the old Mafia Facebook game. They didn't want people dropping cash just till they unlocked a collection or got all the skins they wanted. They wanted people dropping cash repeatedly to stay relevant in the metagame.

They basically wanted a Hearthstone MTX model in their shooter game. I'm not calling Hearthstone P2W here, but when you try and take Hearthstone's Pay-2-Compete model and try and apply it to a shooter, unless you do something extremely creative and innovative, it will end up as a flawed P2W system.

Epic's Paragon has been trying to add the CCG model to the MOBA genre as well with some limited success, but kinda runs into the same problem that without a complex and strategic base game it becomes more P2W than Pay-2-Compete.

Curious to see if anyone can really get it done well.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Released
2. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 15:29 SimplyMonk

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 15:21:
When does battle.net change names?

They nixed that. Or rather they just changed it to "Blizzard Battle.net". Someone realized that preserving decades long name recognition was a good thing.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/14/16145854/blizzard-battle-net-name

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow
13. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 09:07 SimplyMonk

Big step back from Destiny 1 in terms of content, loot mechanics, replay ability, character customization and gameplay mechanics. That being said, for a first timer the game is solid and the gun play itself is great with some humerus bits in the all too short storyline. If you want to see a literal salt mine though, check out the subreddit. Place is super depressing now, but for mostly valid reasons. Like I said, real big disappointment for those that loved Destiny 1.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
7. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:29 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:24:
On moderated player-run servers this isn't an issue. Why don't they try that?

As much as I appreciate the sentiment and also miss the Quake/Counterstrike style shooter model with player run servers and mods, this is a micro-transaction based game and I doubt they want to change their complete business model at this point.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:24 SimplyMonk

In a game where the only way to succeed is working as a team (or your opponents actively sabotaging one another), simply not working as a team is griefing. Taking away teamkilling won't really fix anything. Best chance is to implement a meaningful reporting system and a restricted penalty playlist for repeat offenders which is just filled with their ilk. Teamkilling makes it easy to find the trouble makers.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 12:50 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 12:44:
I may have spent about $40 in all and I have dozens of good games on there.

Yeah. That's fair. I'd be lying if I said half the reason wasn't also because it makes it easier for me to find time to play my other games. Eliminating everything published by EA frees up a bunch of time and avoids the occasional shit storm.

25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 12:39 SimplyMonk

Retired wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 12:17:
"I want everything NOW!" Screams what is wrong with our society.

[snark]
People making unsubstantiated statements about what is wrong with our society is what is wrong with our society.
[/snark]

Acceptance of how many hours it takes to grind something and how much money it costs you to skip said grind is relative to how much free time and disposable income the individual player has. EA has run the numbers and decided [$15 = 40 hours] is the sweet spot they want to hit to push their micro-transactions with.

From the reaction the public has shown though, apparently they were wrong in either that ratio, the fact that this isn't a freemium game and such blatant calculations rub people the wrong way, or that the type of content the locked behind such a paywall is too iconic to the franchise. Will have to see though if, at the end of the day, this outrage actually translates into loss of sales.

I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I'm sure League of Legends is close to the same ratio if you try to buy a new champion with freemium currency but people aren't sticking Riot heads on pikes for that. Neither are they paying $60-$100 to just download LoL though and LoL doesn't have any iconic and beloved IP characters on the same level as Luke or Vader.

15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 11:30 SimplyMonk

I have a strong policy of never installing Origin on my PC. Makes problems like this easy to avoid.  

News Comments > EA to Acquire Respawn
19. Re: EA to Acquire Respawn Nov 10, 2017, 11:34 SimplyMonk

Orogogus wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 20:14:
SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 18:45:
I mean, does no at that company see a pattern here?

Buyouts usually work out very well for the people making the decision to sell. They'll make a lot more selling the company than they ever would collecting a paycheck.

Oh, I'm not commenting on Respawns decision to sell. That is a no-brainer. My comment is the delusion that EA has that they can get a return on their investment by acquiring developers when all they seem to be able to do is completely squash their innovations and leave the developer a rotted husk of their former self.

Maybe the Executives at EA are all some sort of Creativity Liches that needs fresh souls in order to preserve their immortality.

News Comments > EA to Acquire Respawn
1. Re: EA to Acquire Respawn Nov 9, 2017, 18:45 SimplyMonk

“We’ve seen firsthand the world-class caliber of Respawn as a development studio with incredible vision, deep talent and an inspiring creative mindset”

"As such, we've decided to acquire them and do away with all that nonsense like we've done with every other single developer we've ever acquired."

I mean, does no at that company see a pattern here?

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
4. Re: Facepalm City Oct 24, 2017, 11:14 SimplyMonk

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:04:
Aim assist on Windows version...

If you support this game, delete your PC.

If you were planning on playing this game on the PC but with a controller... Why do you even game on the PC to begin with?

News Comments > Destiny 2 Preloads
24. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 19, 2017, 12:05 SimplyMonk

Slick wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 10:35:
NOBODY has given me a counter on 2 points:

1) RNG drops have been a part of gaming since gaming's inception

2) Convenience shortcuts have been around for a decade and no one has even blinked.

But for some reason when you combine them together it's the shit storm of the century.

Well, if I can take a crack at it...

(1) Yes. RNG based loot mechanics have been a thing in videos games for ages and sometimes just being lucky on a drop can give you a huge advantage in a competitive setting but it is usually a temporary situation until the RNG balances out for the community as a whole and everyone gets the same drop.

(2) Convenience short cuts are generally acceptable as a revenue source for a developer. You are directly trading cash for time in the form of XP gain bonuses, quicker collection unlocks (Card Games/Heroes), or energy refills.

For me, the issue in combining the too is you are turning a core game mechanic, that over time is supposed to be a level playing field, into a revenue stream. Doing so, although not always problematic, puts the developer in a position where they would be encouraged to make the hidden RNG loot mechanics very unfavorable to customers that don't participate in the convenience shortcuts. Key examples of this would be any of the old Pay-2-Win Facebook or mobile game such as Mafia or Rage of the Bahamut. You are literally put at a disadvantage that would take hundreds of hours to close the gap versus people willing to drop a few hundred dollars on the game.

There are many degrees of P2W aspects of any game, but the old P2W Facebook games were the most egregious examples of that as their player base was fairly new to these concepts and more susceptible to manipulation. Probably a key reason a lot of these games have fallen off is due to their player base becoming more savvy.

Now, we can discuss specific examples of convenience shortcuts being used in loot/gear based game systems, but in general it puts a large amount of doubt in the player's mind that the developer isn't making things restrictive just for the purpose of driving revenue. Whether as specific implementation is fair or not is largely subjective and people that don't like it will complain and those that do will defend it.

It is almost pointless to discuss fairness in any such system as there are a ton of factors about the player and the game itself that can influence it and even the game's performance itself can't be a reliable indicator as it has a comparable number of complicated variables.

My biggest gripe if you are going to combine these two concepts is the lack of information. If you are going to sell a way to get loot give me all the details. What is the base drop chance? What is the bundle's drop chance? What are all the items in the bundle and what are their distribution? This is why the only "loot crate" games I play and spend money on are ones that make their drop rates and crate inventories explicit or allow players to trade the items gained.

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
18. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 12:54 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 12:10:
I'm at a loss as to why this would be patentable. It's just an algorithm.

Same reason as to the majority of patents granted in the tech sector for the last 30 years. The patent office has no knowledge on the subject matter being patented which will be litigated and decided on by people that have no knowledge as well.

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
9. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 11:03 SimplyMonk

You can patent marketing strategies? I mean, if I was evil, it seems like designing your matchmaking to push micro-transactions is obvious.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 14:34 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:13:
You know Cutter, if you want cheaper treatment for your condition, ranting at Blues probably won't do the trick.

Hey, Cutter is saying some sane and sensible stuff for a change. Berating him for it is just going to condition him to do otherwise.

News Comments > Blizzard Internship Hints at New Overwatch Project
1. Re: Blizzard Internship Hints at New Overwatch Project Oct 10, 2017, 12:33 SimplyMonk

I mean, "unannounced project" could be nothing more than a new Overwatch event they need a bunch of skins or new map for.  

761 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo