Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 840 (Graduate)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic
18. Re: New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic Jan 15, 2016, 01:25 bhcompy

I have no problem with this kind of approach for this game. Would probably work for games like Assassin's Creed as well. It's not like they're making more money off of it, given that it's still at that $60 pricepoint overall. What's the problem?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TrickStyle Rerelease; More Old Acclaim Titles Coming?
6. Re: TrickStyle Rerelease; More Old Acclaim Titles Coming? Dec 30, 2015, 17:09 bhcompy

More Old Acclaim Titles Coming?

So we can get some of the best WWF titles like Rage in the Cage? Or games like D? Bart vs the Space Mutants?

News Comments > Tencent Buys Remainder of Riot, League of Legends
7. Re: Tencent Buys Remainder of Riot, League of Legends Dec 17, 2015, 18:51 bhcompy

Riot was effectively a gaming startup. Would've been nice to see them pay out that equity to their employees, like a lot of startups. Now, it's just a division of a giant Chinese corporation and employees get their 401k. Not quite as lucrative as other startups.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 10, 2015, 14:48 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 10:26:
Summed up in a few paragraphs...

The best value gaming CPU has to be reasonably priced and avoid reaching the point of severe diminishing returns. That rules out any Core i7 processor in our book, as Core i5s do just as well in 99% of the games out there.

We donít recommend gamers to invest in AMD FX processors either, as we've found them to inhibit gaming performance of high-end GPUs in some of the latest titles. Most recently we found horrible FX performance in Fallout 4, where the FX-9590 was bested by a 4th-gen Core i3. Although we haven't published a full performance review on (the somewhat buggy) Just Cause 3, this amazing open world game also makes FX processors seriously suffer.

This leaves us tossing up between the Haswell and Skylake Core i5s. The Core i5-4690K costs $240 while the i5-6600K is selling for $270, not a significant difference but enough to make us question spending more on the 6600K given it wonít really benefit gamers in any meaningful way.

Until engines are sufficiently optimized for multicore processing, Intel is the way to go. AMD could have continued innovating on the Phenom line, which did much better with single/limited core performance, but they went a different route.

News Comments > EVE Online Updated
23. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 9, 2015, 13:59 bhcompy

thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 20:31:
Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 18:17:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 13:58:
How about they finally fix CONCORD and curb the suicide ganking and exploiting? CODE and Goonswarm were making it almost impossible for many traders to get through the "choke point" systems which, despite being major commerce routes, were barely high-sec. And why are pirates allowed in high security space without being podded by CONCORD and NPC military units again? What is the point of having high security space if it's not really high security? Why don't stations refuse docking to pirates in high security space? Why are they coddled at the expense of PVE players? EVE's dev team and admins constantly screw over their PVE player base. No wonder the game is slowly dying.

Before I quit again they had suicide gankers and griefers actually attacking newbies in the newbie systems, which is supposed to be bannable yet I never saw anyone actually banned for it. No wonder people don't stick around.

I think those problems are a hell of a lot more pressing than adding some flashy new graphics and a few new ships, most of which seem only useful to Alliances or PVP gangs. They're just slapping lipstick on the pig.

And you've just describes so very aptly why EVE has always been, and will always be, a niche game. Had they never allowed that silliness they would have had a huge hit on their hands. Oh well, their loss.

Yep. The best way to describe CCPs attitude towards their player base who try to engage in PVE content is pure contempt. With that attitude, they will never grow EVE beyond being a niche market. If Star Citizen actually does see the light of day with their massive universe and they don't have CCPs bias towards griefers and pirates, EVE's days will be numbered.

I like how allowing something to happen is bias. They try not to make arbitrary restrictions. It makes their game one of the best for immersion. Do the cops come kill you instantly if you shoot someone at a streetlight? Nah, takes time, and you might get away. They put that philosophy into the game. It's up to the players to protect and police themselves. That's why the game is studied for its social and economic systems.

The fact that you have a problem with that is a direct indicator that you should go play WoW, not EVE.

News Comments > EVE Online Updated
11. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 15:40 bhcompy

thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 13:58:
How about they finally fix CONCORD and curb the suicide ganking and exploiting? CODE and Goonswarm were making it almost impossible for many traders to get through the "choke point" systems which, despite being major commerce routes, were barely high-sec. And why are pirates allowed in high security space without being podded by CONCORD and NPC military units again? What is the point of having high security space if it's not really high security? Why don't stations refuse docking to pirates in high security space? Why are they coddled at the expense of PVE players? EVE's dev team and admins constantly screw over their PVE player base. No wonder the game is slowly dying.

Before I quit again they had suicide gankers and griefers actually attacking newbies in the newbie systems, which is supposed to be bannable yet I never saw anyone actually banned for it. No wonder people don't stick around.

I think those problems are a hell of a lot more pressing than adding some flashy new graphics and a few new ships, most of which seem only useful to Alliances or PVP gangs. They're just slapping lipstick on the pig.

Well, that's just your opinion, man.

There are very distinct rules and reasons why certain things happen in the game with regards to global criminal status and such. Now, there has always been an issue with disseminating this information to newbs, but that's an acknowledged problem that is incrementally being made better over the past decade by constant improvement to the newb missions and such.

For true anti-social carebears, this game is not for you, but that's pretty much made clear. If you're social, though, you can carebear in highsec, lowsec, or nullsec given you make the right friends, and making friends is not all that hard, particularly for industrial types.

News Comments > Albion Online Closed Beta
1. Re: Albion Online Closed Beta Nov 23, 2015, 20:00 bhcompy

Honestly, seems 15 years too late. I would have loved to have played this after DAoC went to shit and in the void between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3... Now, that style just seems way outdated  

News Comments > Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS
9. Re: Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS Nov 13, 2015, 11:19 bhcompy

wtf_man wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 10:51:
descender wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 10:32:
This is a classic chicken/egg problem that pretty much comes down to driver optimization. There was never a reason for nVidia/AMD to put any resources into developing their linux drivers and they have always suffered as a result. Now that there is more hardware out there to make money off of, there could be incentive for this to change.

I think they'd have to do a lot more work to show that SteamOS itself was slowing things down in any significant way. It would also help if they weren't comparing DirectX with openGL adding another layer of development complexity to the problem.

This.

*nix drivers / OpenGL will never surpass Windows Drivers / DirectX in performance unless for some inexplicable reason a majority of games switches platforms for primary development.

PS4 and Android (at this time) aren't enough.

And the primary API for PS4 is not OpenGL(though I believe you can still use it, PSGL was the API for PS3). GNM is a DirectX style API.

News Comments > Online GTA Mods Closed
3. Re: Online GTA Mods Closed Nov 10, 2015, 11:42 bhcompy

Should fall under fair use(assuming they're not selling it).  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 24, 2015, 20:06 bhcompy

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 12:13:

Yeah, they tried to make it into too much of a "do everything" machine.

They didn't learn from the sins of the 3DO or launch PS3

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2015, 15:11 bhcompy

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 13:29:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 13:02:
Heh, as soon as I saw the title, I knew Kagan was involved. She's a bit of a geek. Wasn't expecting Breyer though. Good on them to go educate themselves. A shame though that the case didn't involve a better game like Portal or something.

The blood thirsty violence and immorality of Portal was a little too much for me to stomach.

All that cake, violently destroyed in the bowels

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
14. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 10:41 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 09:41:
Not like there was any danger of me buying into this, (Origin, EA game anyone??)

What's wrong with Origin? It actually does what it does pretty well.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 13:11 bhcompy

Axis wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:35:
I've not found any reason to choose anything other than Firefox with noscript for the last 10 years or so.

And speed? That's pretty funny... apparently Microsoft is still developing for 1990s.

I use Firefox because it has the best noscript implementation, but let's not pretend they ever fixed their memory leak issues or that its rendering engine could be significantly improve. Speed matters. My corporate laptop is encrypted and 5 years old, loaded to the brim with corporate bullshiat. An efficient browser is a good thing to have, unfortunately with no extensions it's useless.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 22:51 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:01:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 14:29:
I already use NoScript for that. I shouldn't have to enable it on sites I've already whitelisted. Flash serves its purpose and I shouldn't be put out to use websites that utilize it. This is similar to the opt-in Java bullshit that Firefox and Chrome put in. I trust the websites I go to and don't want to enable Java every time I want to use it.

Ok but that's an optional addon, is it fair for them to assume everyone is using that or to make a decision based on their default installation? I don't recall bypassing this being much of a problem in the past, clicking enable and remember wasn't too much work for me when I couldn't update right that second. I'm not sure how you can really trust a website considering the majority run ads from networks they don't control but I digress. Most people who use browsers don't take those kinds of precautions and good luck educating them. Sometimes these things are done with a larger context in mind.

The block notification has an update option if there is one available anyway, the goal is to make sure people aren't running plugins with 0 days which seems fine to me.

Flash and Java are also optional addons

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 14:29 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:55:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:43:
nin wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:16:
Mozilla's Firefox now blocks Flash by default.

And nothing of value was lost...

I personally rather it not. If I live in fear from a vulnerability, then I'd live in constant fear.

"The news comes after a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns about the once popular software"

The f'in O/S is a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns.

So manually enable it if you want to use it. Frankly it's a huge problem that needed to be addressed, I'm glad they and others are now forcing this on users and developers so we can move past the shitty Flash era.

I already use NoScript for that. I shouldn't have to enable it on sites I've already whitelisted. Flash serves its purpose and I shouldn't be put out to use websites that utilize it. This is similar to the opt-in Java bullshit that Firefox and Chrome put in. I trust the websites I go to and don't want to enable Java every time I want to use it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 14, 2015, 14:24 bhcompy

Lit_Reflex wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 11:59:
I don't think people appreciate the fact that Adderall is barely any different than methamphetamine. It is actually 4 different amphetamines mixed together and while it is not as powerful as meth is is a bit more euphoric.

I remember before the psychosis I got into the street stuff and let me tell you that there is a VERY good reason people do this. I always was good at Counterstrike but on that certain stimulant I was going 10 kills and 0 deaths before an admin banned me from the server for my "hacks".

It enhances your motor reflexes, your reaction time, even your intelligence. It also can lead to psychosis in the unlucky minority of users who use it (sorry propaganda eaters but I know about a dozen people who do not have psychiatric issues).

The only way to know if it's safe (and I don't condone it so ease up on the ban hammer... we all know you like to ban people for dumb things like a little trash talking about people who like spending $500 for 30 frames per second in Battlefield 4 at 1080P when they could have bought a $300 GTX 970 and been rocking 60+ frames per second in 2800 pixel resolution) is to find out the hard way whether it's safe so DON'T DO IT!

It's the same reason the baseball players used to pop greenies(amphetamines). Soldiers have used amphetamines too(most famously Germans in WW2, who called it tank chocolate).

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
15. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 9, 2015, 10:02 bhcompy

Lord Tea wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 09:50:
harlock wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 22:25:
Saboth wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 19:49:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 19:22:
Wonder if we'll see Fury X improvements...

I'm still scratching my head at 4GB of vram on a $650 card, when games are hitting 4+ last year and this year already, and the card was touted as some kind of 4k monster.

thats because the memory bandwidth is 4096 bit

the bandwidth on the 970 is 256 bit

in other words - IT GO FASTER

On the 970 it's actually 224+32 bit. Thanks to the awesome unique split bus feature on this card. The Nividia CEO himself explains it right here: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/

It's so uber-awesome that no other Nvidia card has it!

Sounds like the Jaguar. 32bit+32bit=64bits!

No, it doesn't work that way, but thanks for trying

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 8, 2015, 22:43 bhcompy

Is it still TC Carson voicing Kratos? Sounds a little off  

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
8. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 8, 2015, 22:40 bhcompy

Krowen wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 22:18:
WaltC wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 21:37:
Yep, it's a no-brainer...You're going to drop $650 on yesterday's tech, or tomorrow's? HBM is the future, and the potential of the Fury has yet to be tapped, imo. First really exciting tech advance in discrete 3d cards since R300 back in 2002.

It might be exciting but its a non-starter for performance right now. Nvidia is already pressing ahead to HBM2 for cards early next year, neatly skipping all of the new tech teething issues while still retaining the performance crown.

I've owned many AMD cards over the years but they're just something to keep Nvidia honest at this point.

Honest at what? nVidia's drivers are more bloated and arguably worse. Let's not pretend that nV won't have growing pains with completely new technology that's not just an incremental DDR upgrade

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
23. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 7, 2015, 00:29 bhcompy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 22:09:
Scheherazade wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:21:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:30:
Freesync is next.

Variable refresh functionality is in the vesa spec.

AMD's trademark for their support for that functionality is called "freesync" - but it's not actually an AMD specific tech.

If nvidia wanted to fully support all the vesa options, they would have a freesync-like feature too. They simply choose to not support it, and instead make a proprietary solution.

-scheherazade

I think nVidias implementation is well beyond what AMD is offering with freesync. The best example is how it performs when frames go under a pre-defined "sweet spot", with freesync basically not doing anything at all and the resulting image looking the same (tearing) as it would *without* freesync. If you have a rig that can reliably push 40+ FPS in any game with not a single drop below that, then you have nothing to worry about, but most of us are not so fortunate. I'll pay the bit extra for a decent implementation of adaptive refresh, and not having to constantly worry about stepping into some "red zone" under 40fps where my monitor starts acting differently.

Hopefully newer revisions of this standard are actually decent.

what is adaptive refresh and why should i give a shit?

840 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo