Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2352 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 14, 2016, 10:31 Jivaro

To live up to the title I would think Perfect Woman would have to be on a PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
24. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 12, 2016, 21:19 Jivaro

Sony and MS look to be switching to a release schedule that has more in common with cell phone iterations than traditional console lifespans.

Not to dig up a long dead horse and beat it some more but...

Does that mean the PC won the war with the consoles?

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
12. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 11, 2016, 21:39 Jivaro

I would have upgraded to a Pro from my current PS4 at launch but since they aren't going to upgrade the blu-ray player to Ultra and I am not going to be purchasing VR this year I might as well wait a bit and see how things play out. My TV can take advantage of the upscaling and most of the other added bonuses games might have visually from the upgraded hardware but I think I will wait until I have a more pressing reason to bother with it. Maybe when Horizon Zero Dawn comes out it will have enough extra eye candy for me to make the jump based solely on one game but that is in February and the gadget geek in me was hoping to get one to play with before than. By than maybe they will have a bundle or a larger hard drive or both.  

News Comments > DOOM Update Plans
20. Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 13:06 Jivaro

JediPunisher wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:59:
Fantastic single-player campaign... but dying every 10 to 20 seconds is not my idea of fun multi-player.

This and the bots demand are the same two things I think about this game. I loved the single player, although I do have yet to actually finish it, but the multiplayer just doesn't feel right. I can see what they were trying to do, with regards to blending old Doom and Quake feel into the gameplay, but the genre and the industry have moved so far past the movement limitations of those classic games that I think they didn't embrace enough of the "new". I am not sure if that makes sense..but it made sense in my head..lol

As for the bots...I don't even know why they bothered to launch without them. Most games have them in some form and the ones that don't always get trashed for it and either take the negative points in their reviews or add them later. It feels like we have gotten to a point where that (bots) isn't an optional feature anymore, or shouldn't be. *shrug*

I am sure there are folks that don't see the point, if for no other reason than bots are never as good as real people. If they were worse than 50% of the player base I might understand that reasoning but in my experience it feels like modern FPS deathmatch AI is better than at least half of the player base in most games. So yes, at some point you will outgrow the bots and they will be able to offer nothing to your skill....but you have to get better then a huge portion of the player base before that happens. That makes sense in my head.

I bought the game on Day one and have enjoyed it tremendously, it's just too bad that when I do finish the campaign that will probably be the end of the game for me. I can't see choosing this over Overwatch for my daily online shooter fix. I wasn't blown away by Battlefield 1 either, quite the opposite, so for the time being it looks like Overwatch will be my Shooter of the Day for some time.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2016, 13:14.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 9, 2016, 13:14 Jivaro

wtf_man wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 12:17:
I executed my plan in 2007... cord cut.

Every year I say I am going to do this...and every year Comcast gives me another "one year bundle" that somehow manages to be only slightly more expensive than getting my content through entirely Internet means. I like the Comcast DVR and On-Demand features/systems so the minimal expense seems very much worth it. More importantly, my wife demands that whatever we do it is really simple to use. Remote control simple. One of these years Comcast will make an offer that is too high and my wife will be willing to deal with added complexity to save the money....but as long as that bundle basically caters to folks who prioritize convenience nearly as highly as the content itself, I am not sure it's going to happen in this household.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2016, 14:21 Jivaro

Thanks! Makes sense.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer
23. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Sep 8, 2016, 11:20 Jivaro

Looked like a Mass Effect game to me.....for which I am very happy. Hopefully the end result is a Mass Effect game.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2016, 11:18 Jivaro

I have read some articles about HDR for TVs. I am left a bit confused. Not surprising as I have fallen more than a bit out of the loop with regards to hardware since I left the computer industry...and video was never really my thing anyway. I get lost in all the numbers and acronyms.

Anyhoo....

Can someone, using the simple terms and generalized examples you would give to your mother, explain to me why I should care about HDR, specifically with regards to gaming. (console or PC) Additionally, how does all this HDR and 4K stuff affect my next monitor purchase? I have a three monitor setup, mostly to multi-task as few games support three screens very well. (Video game on center primary, Sportscenter or whatever streaming content on left secondary, email and browsing on right tertiary.)

I will be replacing all three monitors soon(ish) as one is not 1080 capable and the other two are two different sizes. (23" 1080 on the left, 32" 1080 in the center, and 22" 720 on the right)

Any insight from those who have experience or are informed would be greatly appreciated.

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12
5. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12 Sep 8, 2016, 11:09 Jivaro

Acleacius wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 10:23:
I had to buy my directx 12 patch at the in-game real money shop! Giggle

In game? I thought it was on the Windows App store?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 8, 2016, 11:04 Jivaro

The dude laid out a pretty easy to follow and practical explanation of his process.

The vitriol of your response Forged..it seems a bit harsh given we are on a site that is dedicated to exactly those kind of topics. Besides, isn't the whole neckbeard nerd stereotype a bit overplayed and really out of place given the forum? I mean...are you simply the stereotypical insecure, wannabe edgy jock that picks on the smart people to hide his lack of technological fortitude that you come across as with a post like that? Somehow, I doubt it.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2016, 11:35.

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12
2. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch Adds DX12 Sep 8, 2016, 10:05 Jivaro

Mandatory "I didn't ask for this" comment. Just to get it out of the way.

No but seriously...question for the more hardware attuned: If you have SLI setup and a game like this says it uses DX12 but doesn't support multi-GPU....does that mean it will automatically use only one GPU or would a SLI user have to make some sort of adjustment? Additionally would I be correct in assuming that at this point, generally speaking, (DX=12 and one GPU) would be for looks while (DX<12 and 2 GPUs) would be for performance?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 7, 2016, 23:24 Jivaro

PS4 Pro = not being able to play ulra Blu-Ray movies when your whole sales pitch is "4K!!!"

wut?

News Comments > Titan Quest Anniversary Edition Released
10. Re: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition Released Sep 1, 2016, 13:28 Jivaro

I played a bit yesterday...it's fantastic. I am going to love this trip down memory lane. Just gotta decide what to pair with Earth Mastery. Never tried that skill path before but it is fun burning everything down.

Despite the massive update and the gargantuan patch notes...one thing I wish had happened was that the inventory space graphically matched the actual amount of space you have. My inventory holds a lot more than it appears to, but I have to use the auto-arrange buttons to get at all the things because when it appears to be full the game starts stashing stuff somewhere I can't see. I haven't read the notes entirely (or, really at all) so maybe they address this....probably just the price I pay to have an inventory of decent size.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2016, 13:22 Jivaro

I will be THAT guy. The one that actually liked The Killing Joke movie.

I am on the fence about the Batgirl thing and there isn't anything I can say that wouldn't be a spoiler so I will just say it didn't bother me or seem out of character....it did however seem not to be actually needed except to make the movie long enough to actually be called a movie. I am sure the people who did it would claim "context!", but with such familiar characters that comes off as a bit lame as an excuse.

I really enjoyed the rest of it..the bit that followed the graphic novel nearly to a word. The honest trailer complains about the voice acting..but I thought the voice acting was great. Hamill continues to be my favorite Joker.

News Comments > NVIDIA's Fallout 4 Mod
26. Re: NVIDIA's Fallout 4 Mod Sep 1, 2016, 13:15 Jivaro

Here is my AMD vs NVIDIA experience in a nutshell.

New AMD drivers don't always make the newest games shine (or even work) but they rarely break games that already work. Nvidia is not above breaking a few "older" games in a mad dash to release a new driver to go along with that shiny new game you just brought home.

That's my completely unscientific opinion based on purely my own life experience...and I am sticking to it until at least the time comes for me to buy a new card. (which should be soon..I am only rolling a 760 at the moment)

News Comments > EA Service Outages
3. Re: EA Service Outages Aug 31, 2016, 23:29 Jivaro

If their Twitter feed is to be believed, they did it just to get some other dude's attention. Once they had it, they ceased the attack.

So how come Madden, SWTOR, and Battlefield 1 are all still having issues then? Particularly if it was such a short lived DDOS?

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 15:02 Jivaro

Weird, my memory says 20-25 years ago games were 40-50 bucks at launch. Doom 2 was $49.99 at Sam's Club, for example.

Were there cheaper games or stores that would run launch sales? Of course, just like today with GMG or Amazon offering pre-order and Day One buying discounts. The new AAA titles of that time were releasing with a suggested retail price in the 50 to 60 range though. At least they were in the US and Denmark...which is where I was buying from.

To me the major difference in pricing between than and now comes down to the difference between expansion packs and DLC....but again...that is a different conversation.

News Comments > PS Now PC Streaming Begins
15. Re: PS Now PC Streaming Begins Aug 31, 2016, 14:43 Jivaro

ViRGE wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 04:08:
VaranDragon wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 03:05:
Did anyone else notice that these are all PS3 games?
Yes. The service is specifically for playing PS3 games on the PS4, and now Windows.

I was going to say...that's the point of the service isn't it?

News Comments > Black Desert Online Expands
2. Re: Black Desert Online Expands Aug 31, 2016, 14:33 Jivaro

I play this game on and off. So much potential...I hope it grows into a better game to play because right now I find it much more enjoyable to look at than to actually play.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
45. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 14:32 Jivaro

I wonder if the server attack has anything to do with the EA server outages in Madden last night.  

2352 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo