Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2399 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch
13. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 13:39 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on May 6, 2016, 13:33:
Jivaro

Do you still earn game xp and level up and stuff in custom games?

now that I don't know the answer to.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch
8. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 13:22 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on May 6, 2016, 13:02:
sauron wrote on May 6, 2016, 12:57:
Can you run a full match with just one human player and the remainder bots on the human player's team and the opposition team?

Thanks!
Not as far as I know.

Yes you can, use the custom game setup.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases
11. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases May 4, 2016, 12:00 Jivaro

34 gigs is pretty standard for the AAA games that I have purchased over the last year or two. I hadn't really given it much thought because I don't have an enforced cap, but I guess that would suck for some folks. That's too bad that you have to factor that into the decision to purchase a game, particularly since the size of the download won't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of the game.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Free Trial
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Free Trial May 4, 2016, 11:55 Jivaro

For me, Battlefront is fun with what it has....unfortunately it is what it doesn't have that makes it such a disappointment. It looks pretty, I like the gameplay feel, etc. The fact that it doesn't have a true single player campaign of any kind and the lack of any kind of space combat just stands out like a horse in an office building.

Maybe with a Battlefield game you can get away with leaving certain things out but if you are going to put the name Battlefront on the title and use the Star Wars franchise...I think you need to give the fans more of what they want if you expect them to be happy with the final product.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 2, 2016, 17:17 Jivaro

Utah, Florida, and New Jersey....if crazy is going to happen, it happens in one of those states first. Texas gets an honorable mention. New York and California are in a special category called "harmless crazy". Nude uni-cyclists downtown just aren't the same kind of crazy.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 2, 2016, 11:19 Jivaro

I am pretty sure that the current version of the law was passed in 2011, which is also the first year the theater was fined for violating the law. So no..they can't blame it on being an old law. It really does seem that Utah doesn't have a way to ban the movie so they are going to find a way to censor it by using some ridiculous alcohol law that I am not really convinced was written with this type of thing in mind.

I hope the place wins their challenge, but honestly, I don't think they will. I am not a lawyer but it seems well within a state's right to enforce this type of law, even if it is ridiculous. Their best hope seems to be going after that vagueness thing. After a quick scan I can confirm that the "Utah Alcoholic Beverage Control Act" is incredibly vague for such a huge document. Usually when I am reading a proposed law or ordnance before an election or vote I start skimming because the details are heavy, making it hard to keep some things straight and causing the document to bloat. In this case I started skimming because there are whole lot of really vague and very generalized sentences that bloat this document to a size that is really unnecessary given it's actual content. I guess that makes it perfect when it comes to agenda based enforcement since there is so much that is open to interpretation.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed
5. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed May 2, 2016, 11:00 Jivaro

For the first time since the first CoD, I am actually interested. I am cynical and I will need to see a great more of the actual gameplay...but that trailer did grab my attention.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season Six Begins
8. Re: Diablo III Season Six Begins May 1, 2016, 12:26 Jivaro

According to the launch week article in Gamespot, Blizzard said they sold 2.7 million copies of RoS in the first week. That, at the time, was 20% of the user base. This was all back in April 2014. They are up to over 30 million owners of Diablo 3 now, which means the user base has doubled in the last 2 years. I highly doubt they doubled the user base and didn't sell a single copy of the expansion in the last two years, which is what it would take for RoS to only be owned by 10% of the user base. In fact, I would bet that nearly all of the sales from 20 million to 30 million included the expansion either in the "Ultimate Evil Edition" for consoles or separately on PC.

When a game nearly doubles the sales of it's predecessor (Diablo 2 and it's expansion sold a little over 17 million across all platforms) and it's made by a company with a history of multiple expansions across multiple franchises...I think it's completely realistic to not only hope for but expect at least a 2nd expansion. If not more.

The fact is that the expansion saved the game. Sure, some people had already washed their hands of it, and that is fair enough. The truth however is that RoS dug Blizzard out of a huge hole with the fans. The longevity of the game is thanks to the expansion. That longevity has made it possible for the game to be introduced to a whole new generation of fans who have many more games and platforms competing for their attention than either of the first two games had to worry about. Beyond that, they made a ton of money doing it. To me, it's not IF there will be another expansion, it's WHEN. Why not make one when you have 30 million potential customers? It's a busy year for nearly every franchise they have and they are releasing a new franchise soon. I am not surprised we haven't heard anything yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something after Legion launches.

Mind you, I am not saying you have to like the game or that they didn't fuck up the initial release or anything along those lines. I am just saying, this is the reality. The game and it's expansion are a huge success by any sales based measure and the entire mood and attitude among the community has completely flipped since the release of the expansion. "Releasing" Jay Wilson from the Diablo 3 team probably didn't hurt either. From a business perspective, I am not sure why you wouldn't release another expansion. I mean, it doesn't just help the D3 business. It has the potential to grow the Heroes of the Storm business as well right? The current generation of consoles have at least another 3-5 years in them and there was over a decade between D2 and D3...so D4 isn't coming anytime soon. You could argue that the cost effective way to maintain the momentum is to keep the expansions coming, WoW style, for the foreseeable future.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2016, 12:34.

News Comments > Battleborn Motion Comic
12. Re: Battleborn Motion Comic Apr 26, 2016, 01:26 Jivaro

I played in the betas for Battleborn, Doom, and Overwatch recently. For Battleborn I actually did it on both PC and PS4. I agree that a person could buy all of them and that there is no reason to choose. I also agree that Battleborn isn't really the same type of game as Overwatch. Neither is Doom for that matter, which is fortunate since the multiplayer beta entertained me but doesn't really seemed to have entertained too many others.

All of that said, I couldn't get into Battleborn. Whatever people are liking about it was lost on me. My first impressions of the gameplay were that it was slow and uninspired. I will admit that I didn't give it the same amount of time that I gave Doom or Overwatch, but that was because I just didn't want to. I just didn't find it fun. I wanted to give Doom more time because of my rose-tinted memory goggles and I gave Overwatch all the time I could because that game is freaking fun.

I am going to give Battleborn another look later though. It has many strengths and perhaps as the beta continues and I try some more of the available content I will find whatever it is that so many of you seem to like about it.

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter
33. Re: John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Apr 26, 2016, 01:14 Jivaro

I think I might be the lone John Romero fanboy here. I am actually a pretty big fan of both him and his wife, and some of that has to do with their work in the video game industry and some of that has to do with some stuff related to their work at the University of California at Santa Cruz. I have always liked Adrian's work as well. I also don't mind that they want to go the Kickstarter route, which apparently also puts me in the minority here. If I were them, at this stage of their careers, I wouldn't want to be under a publisher's thumb either.

I was wondering if a project was coming when John and Brenda started selling a bunch of their stuff and moved to Europe's equivalent of Silicon Valley, Ireland. Game looks fun, it looks well thought out, and I haven't done a new Kickstarter for a while so I have some play money to lose...I am in. Hopefully I will be happily playing Blackroom in 2018 and not coming back at the end of May to post that my first failed Kickstarter has occurred.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2016, 01:33.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2016, 10:22 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 16:32:
BobBob wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 14:22:
Tourist season is starting early. Beach is getting packed with obnoxious Bluetooth speaker, rule disobeying, and smoking out of towners. Time for Plan B - riding to secret and locals only spots.

We have tourists year round here, so the anti-smoking and noise laws are both strong and enforced. I would have thought Cali would have similar.

It depends on what part of California and what town/area you are in. The tourists get away with behavior in SF that if they tried it in Napa Valley would get them arrested. Than again, as any SF native will tell you, the residents of SF are kinda tourist deaf. The tourists are like the traffic...always there, always loud, and there is never a cop around when you need one.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2016, 09:43 Jivaro

I was all set to cut the cord last year and than a glaring coverage hole appeared in a genre of TV that I am watching 50% of the time the TV is on....sports. I live in an area where using a HD antennae to get the local channels with the major networks won't work. The reception is horrible. I can't believe I am saying this, but the best deal for me if I were to cut the cord would be to get Playstation Vue and pair it up with Netflix and Prime. Maybe Hulu as well, I am not sure. Vue is the only solution that seems to get me access to the local stations with my local sports teams.

The problem with all of that is this all becomes more expensive and 10x more complicated than having Comcast do both my TV and my Internet. Not having access to the sporting events I want to watch, and specifically the local sporting events most commonly shown on the local broadcast channels, is a deal breaker for me. I have to be able to watch the Warriors, Raiders, 49ers, Earthquakes, Bears, Cardinals, etc etc. It is literally 50% of the reason I own a TV. Any solution that doesn't guarantee me the same access I get with Comcast isn't really worth it, even if it's cheaper. Even free TV without sports doesn't mean anything to me.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2016, 09:50.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
9. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 02:19 Jivaro

*shrug* I had fun. My preference would be that they get rid of loadouts completely, I think melee animations should be interruptable, and I think player movement needs to speed up a tad. All minor things that could easily change as a result of a beta like this, and they didn't keep me from having a good time with it overall.

I found myself using a custom loadout with a shotgun and a rocket launcher most of the time. The maps favored the shotgun but my own playstyle seemed to favor the rocket launcher. Probably because of all the time I spent playing Quake2 Rocket Arena. Some folks liked the lightning gun, I myself found it under-powered. I only managed to run around as the demon for the full duration twice, but I have to say...that's some fun right there...particularly when you get to take on the entire other team all at once.

The multiplayer is completely bonus material to me, so maybe that's why I am not so harsh with my judgement. I didn't expect to like it at all based on my dislike for just about every multiplayer shooter made in the last 5-6 years. I wouldn't even be able to make a good comparison with it and Halo or COD because I haven't played either since their original games. I lost interest after being disappointed with their sequels. If this game is taking bits of those games, it would appear that I am okay with whatever those bits are.

As I said before, I am pretty sure I am going to get my moneys worth out of this and Overwatch (which I loved). I tried Battleborn earlier today and came away less impressed. I only tried one character so I will reserve judgement for now...maybe try some of the other tomorrow.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 21:24 Jivaro

screw it..I just can't find enough effort to contribute to the conversation. I have art to go make while suffering....or something.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2016, 16:13 Jivaro

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the balancing as well. I would be interested to hear specifically what balancing issues there were.  

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Opens
44. Re: DOOM Open Beta Opens Apr 16, 2016, 21:05 Jivaro

Slick wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 07:03:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 15:50:
Spent time with both Doom and Overwatch this morning. I had fun with both. Probably will get both. For whatever reason both of these clicked with me. Been a long time since I played a multiplayer shooter and actually enjoyed it. I am going to get a lot of hours out of both of these.

for me it's a toss up between battleborn and overwatch. i was originally going the overwatch route, but battleborn is just more fun I think...

You aren't the first person I heard that from in the last few days. I haven't been interested in Battleborn previously, the videos I have seen have done nothing for me, but with all the chatter I should probably at least give it a look.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Opens
20. Re: DOOM Open Beta Opens Apr 15, 2016, 15:50 Jivaro

Spent time with both Doom and Overwatch this morning. I had fun with both. Probably will get both. For whatever reason both of these clicked with me. Been a long time since I played a multiplayer shooter and actually enjoyed it. I am going to get a lot of hours out of both of these.  

News Comments > Rockstar North Lawsuit
8. Re: Rockstar North Lawsuit Apr 12, 2016, 20:42 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 17:00:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 14:53:
He claims he was denied access to their offices on April 1, 2015 when he attempted to return from his September 2014 sabbatical,

"LOL! Nice elaborate April Fool's joke. Right? Guys?" - Leslie Benzies

That's not surprising. Games companies often have very good sabbatical programs. With some studios, at the 10, 15, or 20 year point (depending) it's a full year off.

Even Starbucks has a sabbatical program. (At 10 years, btw) I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is common in many industries. I mean, nearly nobody is working for the same place for 10+ years any longer. It's a "perk" that looks great on paper but how realistic is it for most people to plan on ever getting it?

News Comments > Star Citizen EVA Video
35. Re: Star Citizen EVA Video Apr 10, 2016, 13:34 Jivaro

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 08:16:
What happened to all of you guys? All I read here anymore is personal attacks because you dont like someones opinion in the style of "oh look theres our resident troll/whiner/apologist/whatever".
One could think you guys didnt get older in the last 10 years, but instead are about to crawl back into your mothers wombs...

You could quite literally drop this comment in half of all the threads here from the last 2-3 years and it would not be out of place.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 7, 2016, 20:47 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 15:08:
San Francisco Tech Firms See Workers Flee From $4,500 Rents.

That's the median rent. Ouch.

Yeah, it is pretty nuts in the entire Bay Area/Silicon Valley..from San Jose to Marin and everything in between.

2399 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo