Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brant King

Real Name Brant King   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jivaro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 23, 2010, 17:26
Total Comments 2553 (Senior)
User ID 55841

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BattleBorn Update Unlocks All Core Characters
2. Re: BattleBorn Update Unlocks All Core Characters Jan 20, 2017, 09:45 Jivaro

I am confused. Is this a MOBA? I thought it was a Overwatch type game...at least that's what I remember.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Atlas Reactor Season 2; Game Now Free-to-Play
6. Re: Atlas Reactor Season 2; Game Now Free-to-Play Jan 18, 2017, 14:49 Jivaro

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:23:
What's funny is that ArcheAge is pretty much the best mmo to come out in years and people still continue to bash it because of the f2p model that you can easily get through. A lot of people missing out on this great game. So weird.

What's weird is reading the posts below here, one details pretty clearly what the problems with AA and Trion are outside of the gameplay...and somehow you are confused as to why they wouldn't play it. There is nothing weird about about being fucked over by a company and taking your money and time elsewhere instead of sticking around so they can do it again.

News Comments > Atlas Reactor Season 2; Game Now Free-to-Play
3. Re: Atlas Reactor Season 2; Game Now Free-to-Play Jan 18, 2017, 12:09 Jivaro

Until AA came out, Champions Online was the most disappointing MMO I had ever played. Obviously it wasn't the worst MMO I had ever played, the genre is ripe with terrible games, but it was hugely disappointing when I looked at it from an expectations vs reality standpoint. That wasn't the worst part though. Trion's customer service and development team's performance during the first 6 weeks alone were bad enough to make me not willing to even look at another Trion game. I may have had a particularly bad experience, to say the least, but it was far from a unique one.

Even if this game was fun, having Trion's name attached to it is enough for me to not even give it a look. I would rather pay for and watch a Uwe Boll movie.

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
62. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 15:59 Jivaro

I am thinking that some of us, and I think I am guilty of this to an extent for sure, have been on IT cruise control since somewhere around Windows XP.

That's not a slam on anyone. I just know that I am not nearly as likely to put a bunch of time or energy into problem solving an OS issue at age 42 relative to when I was say 26. At 26 I wanted to understand the how and why, at 42 I just want the fucking thing working again....and I think that is pretty normal. Life's responsibilities has a way of reorganizing your priorities and your willingness to spend time on problems. That lack of effort to keep up has definitely made me much more "outside help" dependent than I used to be.

That said, I asked a tech question here at Blues just last week and got solid advice and the problem is gone, so obviously some folks are keeping their heads on a swivel. I am just keeping my ass in the Lay-Z-Boy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2017, 12:05 Jivaro

Happy Birthday Ant!  

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 biohazard Film Tie-in for Consoles
11. Re: Resident Evil 7 biohazard Film Tie-in for Consoles Jan 10, 2017, 23:45 Jivaro

Glad I could help make your head explode...I guess?

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 biohazard Film Tie-in for Consoles
7. Re: Resident Evil 7 biohazard Film Tie-in for Consoles Jan 10, 2017, 12:39 Jivaro

I am good at turning my brain off when required. My wife will confirm that. Movies like Resident Evil are brainless movies. (zombie puns for the win baby!) Applying your brain to them will inevitably ruin them, but I totally get that for some people that's a deal breaker. I think I just have a built in tolerance for plot holes and weak scripts in certain genres, like fantasy and sci-fi. Other genres, like romantic comedy or documentaries, I would have nearly zero tolerance for such things. Sure, you could make an argument that the script is more important in movies that tend to use less special affects and are set in reality but I think my patience has more to do with growing up with some seriously bad "B" cult films being the backbone of my sci-fi and fantasy movie experience.

My collection includes...
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Carnival of Souls
Reefer Madness
House on Haunted Hill
Swamp Thing

...all signed by none other than Mike "Megacheese" Nelson.

So yeah, it's subjective but I think there is something to be said for realistic expectations and appreciating things for what they are rather than holding onto anger and frustration over how things "should have been" in your opinion.

Alternatively, if you saw one Resident Evil movie and didn't like it but continued to watch them...you are either hopelessly optimistic or a masochist. Maybe both...hopeless optimists probably have to have a bit of masochism in their blood just in general.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2017, 13:02.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2017, 10:50 Jivaro

That's 5.83 million right?

Be interesting to see how much in bonuses/raises/vacations/etc the school's administration "earns" this year.

News Comments > Scalebound Cancelled
5. Re: Scalebound Cancelled Jan 9, 2017, 23:45 Jivaro

Nier is looking to be quite a bit of that boss fighting thing as well. I like games like Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta...etc, so I guess I am the target audience.

The more I look at this cancelled game the more mystified I am that it failed to cross my radar screen.

News Comments > PC Brut@l Next Month
4. Re: PC Brut@l Next Month Jan 9, 2017, 23:43 Jivaro

3D Realms should have tried ASCII with Bombshell. They could have failed to make a decent ARPG for so much less money.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 9, 2017, 23:31 Jivaro

This reminds me of general chat in a MMO and that troll logs in and says "World of Warcraft was the first MMO"

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 9, 2017, 23:11 Jivaro

I noticed, but hey...I have been called worse than nobody many times.

I play on a 50" 4K, so there is that. (as you mentioned Oz, smaller screen...less likely to perceive the difference) I have no problem with console games making upgrades that are only perceivable on equipment that can display it. We do it with PC games all the time. The last thing I am going to do is complain about a developer/publisher adding things to take advantage of the more expensive hardware out there. (in this case a better TV) To me, buying that TV at the time was no different than buying a better graphic card or bigger hard drive for my computer...and just like when a PC game takes advantage of those upgrades, I am happy to see a console game take advantage of upgrades.

That said, such game upgrades should not become paid DLC of some sort. I can't think of an example where that was the case....but that would be where I would draw the line.

PS: The Last Guardian being pigeon-holed as a puzzle game is (sigh) pretty accurate. I don't agree with the "The Last PS2 Game" shot, but it is a funny line given the development time. As an Ico/Colossus fan, I found TLG to be beautiful and sentimental and infuriating and kinda sloppy in places. Fun and frustrating all in one big package. Also, I wonder if the person that did the mesh and texture work on the Trico's asshole has that listed on their resume? (for clarification: Trico is the creature not the young boy you sickos)

News Comments > Scalebound Cancelled
3. Re: Scalebound Cancelled Jan 9, 2017, 22:34 Jivaro

How weird that I hadn't heard of this. I knew they were working on a Nier game, which I am looking forward to. The demo was pretty good.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
43. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 16:01 Jivaro

No, you are homophobes if you think the act of including a gay person in a fictional story is a moral lesson.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
25. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 10:17 Jivaro

We all have gay friends, whether we are aware of it or not. Why do people feel like they need to preface their ridiculous excuses for homophobia with that as if they achieved a mystery Boy Scout patch for allowing people to exist in their presence that would have existed anyway?

The idea that these human beings wouldn't/shouldn't be represented in our fictional or non-fictional entertainment is ridiculous. The fact that they are today becoming less of a headline and more the norm only highlights how fucking backwards we were as a culture previously.

Mass Effect forces nothing on you except maybe the acknowledgement that someone or multiple someones in the game might be gay. If that bothers you...than you aren't any gay person's friend. You simply tolerate their existence. Get over yourself.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2017, 17:40 Jivaro

That AssCreed bundle is pretty good if you haven't played them. I only did the first two tiers, but even if you do all three it's a solid deal. That's a lot of pretending to kill people while being better looking than you really are for your money.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 17:17 Jivaro

Wow Red! Thanks for the info and the links...I will start reading through it now.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 12:41 Jivaro

that was my first guess Red, sorry for not including that in the original post. I have edited it to include it now. Its NTFS. Thanks for reading and responding though.  

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 12:36 Jivaro

Interesting tech issue today..thought I would lay it out in case someone knows a quick fix that has flown over my head...

I use an external drive enclosure, USB 3.0, for a couple of older drives. One of the drives is 1.0TB, WD, and has Origin and U-Play as well as their games on it. It's a temporary situation so advice that it needs to be changed for speed or whatever is redundant and not needed. I am well aware its not a good long term solution.

What has boggled my mind though is an apparent glitch in Uplay and Origin specifically. When they go to download something it inevitably fails during download if the resulting files will be 4GB or larger. That's right, the download itself can be smaller than 4gb but if the patching process will end up taking up more than 4gb of storage...it crashes. I mean, the whole drive disappears from Windows completely. This is made even more confusing by the fact that Battle.net and GOG, which are also installed on the drive, don't have the same problem. They can download whatever they want with no problems. (edit: yes, it's formatted in NTFS and no, there are no other partitions)

I know the quick answer is "Origin and Uplay suck". I was wondering if someone could give me the reason as to why this is. Previous to this I had zero reason to care as to which service was being used because I had never had a glitch anywhere near as puzzling as this. That said, my tech knowledge has always been "hobbyist" level as opposed to "technician" level. What am I missing?

Edit: yes, I tried another drive...same problem with the same services

News Comments > Steam Award Winners
29. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 11:24 Jivaro

I don't pretend to understand the tastes of people 20-30 years younger than me, nor am I angry about the differences. I am not even sure that it's just the young people that have game preferences so seemingly alien to me. There are quite a few types of video games that have never appealed to me that are very popular today.

That said, I do question using the phrase "just five more minutes" for a game that isn't a a turn-based game. I feel like a multiplayer FPS should be "But Mom...I can't pause!"

edited: spelling, sentence structure, alcohol related hangover. not necessarily in that order.

2553 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo