Limit Results:

28 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Pre-owned cheats developers
Aug 24, 2010, 14:19
Re: Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 24, 2010, 14:19
Aug 24, 2010, 14:19

It's not difficult to understand

No, not at all. But rather difficult to accept.

Lemme spell out the reason why I say its against all logic: videogame industry (and assorted net denizens)seems to be the only one that has a problem with second hand markets. From cars to dvds you can...blah blah blah same-old-tired-argument.

Now you can argue that its not the same thing till DNF is finally released. I don`t care- because it is. If I buy it I can do whatever I want with it.

With a pirated copy, there's no guarantee that players would have otherwise bought the game. With used sales, players have proven that they're willing to buy the game except they want to get it for as cheap as possible

BS. Players haven`t proven jack, apart from the fact they decided to pay this much for this particular title. Which otherwise they might have not bought. (yawn)

Some will argue that used sales help fund new sales

Some, perhaps, might. Have they, here?

Even if someone uses the money saved from a used sale to buy a new game, the publisher and developer and of the used game still got screwed

Screwed, eh? But they already sold this game once. No matter. You sir, is from the lets-pick-on-some-bits-from-the-post school of thought...serves your purpose and gracefully leads to "dense" conclusion. Therefore it`s more convenient to avoid "Maybe shops should kick back some percentage back to devs, similarly to royalties in music..." proposal of mine...

...if someone is cheap enough to buy used games...
lol, I might be cheap, but that quote sums you up nicely...

Re: Alice: Madness Returns Interview
Aug 24, 2010, 09:30
Re: Alice: Madness Returns Interview Aug 24, 2010, 09:30
Aug 24, 2010, 09:30

zirik wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 02:11:
oh another alice mcgee game. i hope its as good as the first. nice concept but too many jumping puzzles.

Over to Old Masters: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/56.html

Re: Pre-owned cheats developers
Aug 24, 2010, 06:41
Re: Pre-owned cheats developers Aug 24, 2010, 06:41
Aug 24, 2010, 06:41

Before they were brainwashed into thinking that games industry is-the-new-hollywood (or something) devs tended to concentrate on developing and also enjoying this process a (substantial) bit more.

That whine about used games is truly pathetic, against-all-logic etc... Bitchin about piracy at least has some sense to it.

On the other hand, shops are milking it like no tomorrow with truly unfair trade-in rates. In UK, major operator (CEX) recently wised down and changed from quite-ok rates (about 50% cash or 60%-70% exchange value) to draconian ones. F%$# that, there`s always Amazon.

Maybe shops could should kick back some percentage back to devs, similarly to royalties in music...

Re: Neverwinter Interview
Aug 24, 2010, 06:23
Re: Neverwinter Interview Aug 24, 2010, 06:23
Aug 24, 2010, 06:23

game's emphasis on online cooperative multiplayer makes it an OMG (online multiplayer game)

Am I really reading this ?

Back to where it all started, eh? ...SSI FTW :)...

Maybe thats the long awaited mind gameplay-over- matter greenbacks backlash? Ok, maybe not yet, but there`s hope...

Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers
Aug 20, 2010, 06:13
Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 20, 2010, 06:13
Aug 20, 2010, 06:13

"Beamer"Aug 19, 2010, 09:03
Fraud, or something to that effect. Some sort of con-op most definitely. It`s all too slick and fast...so what, you work on a game for few years and then it all folds in weeks? Mother&^#$*^s..

You guys act like this is uncommon in any industry

No, its not uncommon, in fact its too common these days. Alas, this is a website dedicated to videogames, and we`re discussing single case here, no? Do I have to provide extensive footnotes to every and each post?

RTW works on a product for a few years. They work until they run out of money. They're forced to release it arguably too soon because they've run out of money. They're forced to fold when it isn't an immediate hit
{...}
They literally bet the farm on this game. It did not pay off. They have no cash to continue.

It is one of the scenarios that might have or might not`ve happened. I don`t know. You speak as you know, but you don`t either.

Not sure ow this is either surprising or seen as a "con-op." Where do you think the money went, then? Do you think that David Jones pocketed a few million when no one was looking?

If you don`t find the whole thing of devs with cv`s that go back to 8-bit era (i.e. rather experienced in this biz) suddenly deciding to start betting farms surprising, than perhaps you`re far more jaded than I. Which I doubt. Again, maybe they were that stupid.

As for D. Jones, RTFPost:
he deserved to land some cool, safe project, like Spector at Disney
Not exactly charge of theft, eh?

Or do you think every huge business gamble that doesn't pay off is "a con job?"
Not every, but some percentage obviously is. You don`t? And lived under that rock last few years? Well, I wish I could live in such a carefree (fantasy) world. But then, I`m one of the "dolts" (as you chided in some other thread) who does think bailout money is free (in a way of course).

to explain exactly what crime took place and who profited from it

Could we skip these Ace Attorney theatrics? Mine was a speculation on a internet forum, not a documented charge for a court of law.

I do not know what went on, it`s equally possible it was a case of dev naivety or that some people did profit from it (in ways more sophisticated than some money transfers). My original post might not reflect that, for the reasons already stated before: this was one of my (not many) pet projects I followed from day one and I`ve seen some red upon learning its fate.

Re: Crusader Kings II Announced
Aug 19, 2010, 18:09
Re: Crusader Kings II Announced Aug 19, 2010, 18:09
Aug 19, 2010, 18:09

Thought I`ve read somewhere PC gaming is dead. Or something

Re: Jagged Alliance Online Announced
Aug 19, 2010, 05:58
Re: Jagged Alliance Online Announced Aug 19, 2010, 05:58
Aug 19, 2010, 05:58

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 16:38:
Everyone attempting a proper JA3 has been talentless hacks and all attempts have inevitably failed.

I'm happier letting it be buried.

This, however, could be kind of fun. It slight change, and fortunately not really an MMO from the sound of it. Could be something to pick up quickly, do a few missions, etc.

Agree with "be buried"...it`s been in death throes long enough.
Browser based , however, sod that. Game of this depth and scope?
Can`t see it happening without mucho ahem, streamlining. Just write your own plz, leave this venerable corpse alone...

Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers
Aug 19, 2010, 05:47
Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 05:47
Aug 19, 2010, 05:47

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 21:45:
Smells like fraud to me.

Word.
Fraud, or something to that effect. Some sort of con-op most definitely. It`s all too slick and fast...so what, you work on a game for few years and then it all folds in weeks? Mother&^#$*^s...

this one really gets my blood boiling...if someone like David Jones can`t get things right, be it by his own fault or his overlords (which he shouldn`t have/listen to in 1st place) design, then this industry is truly rotten.

Such a shame thou, he deserved to land some cool, safe project, like Spector at Disney...

Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced
Aug 18, 2010, 07:14
Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Aug 18, 2010, 07:14
Aug 18, 2010, 07:14

Surf wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 16:08:
...just don't like the game at all nor the canon. It just seems so cheesy and uncool on all level.

Made the same mistake about the canon... First encounter was Space Hulk, got me intrigued, but then there was no access to books or any other info and somehow I`ve written this universe off (`Kinda cool, got potential, these gothic ships are awesome...but...dunno...commissars & orcs? "bolters?" wtf?...nah, that won`t work`).

And so I left it for many years, until picking one of the novels, and only because it was a library and I was mega bored. Thought it`s gonna be another "written on commission" rubbish...but boy, was I wrong

Completely hooked now...(mid Horus Heresy). My friend - it`s anything but cheesy, once you get over few things (that actually make perfect sense after some reading). Also, incredibly coherent (over so many millenia!) and GRIM!.. So ok, humans mostly win, but it`s not set in stone... corruption lurks everywhere

Re: Evening Previews
Aug 17, 2010, 07:41
Re: Evening Previews Aug 17, 2010, 07:41
Aug 17, 2010, 07:41

Taunt- brilliant in jRPG`s

Rocksteady Studios: perhaps a bunch of hipsters (needs further research but also a grand middle finger to all whiny devs out there; 2 games in 5 years - one very good, and one a triple A blockbuster.

Look & learn, Remedy/Silicon Knights/etc...

Re: id Interviews: RAGE DLC Planned
Aug 17, 2010, 07:07
Re: id Interviews: RAGE DLC Planned Aug 17, 2010, 07:07
Aug 17, 2010, 07:07

Now, jump lil Timmy, jump!

It’s been important to Bethesda. We’ll do it, we just don’t know what we’ll do yet

Ahhh...here`s a good boy...

Re: Lost Planet 2 DirectX 11 Support
Aug 17, 2010, 06:59
Re: Lost Planet 2 DirectX 11 Support Aug 17, 2010, 06:59
Aug 17, 2010, 06:59

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 22:41:
... maybe because PC gamers don't want console games particularly for the PC.

That`s why I`d rather describe myself as a "gamer" instead of "PC gamer" these days, although I guess I am one at heart.

Played the 1st one on 360 and it was a blast...a mindless one, perhaps, but still great fun. Slick & very beautiful. Something wrong with that?
Hell, Doom wasn`t exactly 3D chess either...

As observed above, the second one is a turd, but it has nothing to do with PC...already broken on consoles.

Capcom failing epically? uhh...maybe on PC?, but they`re a giant console-oriented-Japanese-company. At least they`re trying.

Re: Heroes of Might & Magic VI Revealed
Aug 16, 2010, 12:24
Re: Heroes of Might & Magic VI Revealed Aug 16, 2010, 12:24
Aug 16, 2010, 12:24

Back in the days upon hearing there`s new Ubisoft release you`d hope for something quirky/original/fresh...well, French

That was long time ago though.

Re: BFG RMA Refusal
Aug 16, 2010, 12:02
Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 12:02
Aug 16, 2010, 12:02

I`d take anything that promises "lifetime" with a pinch of salt...

Thank you, BFG, for contributing to my Dictionary of Shitty Excuses:
this category is no longer profitable for us, although we will continue to evaluate it going forward
...now translates as : "our world is collapsing"

Re: John Carmack on Cloud Gaming and RAGE Dedicated Servers
Aug 15, 2010, 09:03
Re: John Carmack on Cloud Gaming and RAGE Dedicated Servers Aug 15, 2010, 09:03
Aug 15, 2010, 09:03

ASJD wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 22:00:
KilrathiAce wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 18:30:
are as out of touch with time as carmack is.

Wow, saying something like this comes off as extraordinarily stupid. When you think Carmack is out of touch, guess who's out of touch?

It's you.

Carmack & co has been kindly allowed to join the "executive bathroom" club. Freshman at this level, he`s displaying all the symptoms of soda- water-in-my-head syndrome spouting insane garbage like his above speech about cloud (9?)"gaming".
(With some PR coaching he`ll learn to be completely evasive/meaningless like true exec should be. In a way, I "prefer" Kotick`s : "Screw you, where`s mah money?!?" approach)

If you fail to observe this, sir, then you either didn`t live long enough/had your eyes closed/or have a key to this bathroom yourself.
Rather depressing...

Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic
Aug 14, 2010, 14:26
Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 14:26
Aug 14, 2010, 14:26

Turn-based strategy is a genre, where my priority is gameplay and gameplay alone. I play older Civ games, i play old PSX/SNES/GBA or newer DS games like Front Mission/Advance Wars/Fire Emblem and i do not care, how "ugly" or "primitive" these games look. Its all about gameplay!

Impressive stuff...didn`t expect such a voice of reason on these Hi-Q- obsessed pages.
I`m a graphics whore too, but have seen the light after going broke recently. Arx Fatalis being about the most advanced game I can run at the moment, I overcame this obsessive mindset and started really enjoy old games again, without the "nostalgia" angle.

In fact old really is beautiful...in its specific way. Guess growing up with these games helps thou.

Also, loved the tactical holy trio you mention. So, console games are dumb, eh?

Anyway, back to mapping Ultima I

Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic
Aug 14, 2010, 12:47
Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 12:47
Aug 14, 2010, 12:47

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 11:01:
I am awaiting eagerly for your review ;p For Victoria 2 you had a pretty good feeling of the game ..

Speaking of Victoria 2 - i'll never understand why they make these historical games again and again, have they no creativity to make a unique new fresh fantasy world?

Have they no creativity to make a unique new fresh fantasy world?
(Sorry...had sudden vision of some elves wielding - guess what! - bows!)

Re: RAGE Dated
Aug 14, 2010, 11:08
Re: RAGE Dated Aug 14, 2010, 11:08
Aug 14, 2010, 11:08

You might as well predict weather for this very day, about as accurate, relevant. Since they`re corporate dogs now, the only dates that count are fiscal ones.

Besides, a codeshop with their kind of experience (like, invented the genre?) and resources can not finish a doggone thing in 3 years? It`s just an FPS with slick (at the time :)graphics and some driving.

Pathetic, really.

Re: Realtime Words Layoffs?
Aug 13, 2010, 11:02
Re: Realtime Words Layoffs? Aug 13, 2010, 11:02
Aug 13, 2010, 11:02

Sign o`the times

It`s a shame, really. D.Jones and DMA were always my heroes and I wished him so well with this ...
I just can`t believe that this dude, who pulled off so many successful/original projects released something that is (depending who you listen to) at best not-so-good. Sensing the shadow of PR/investor scum here...

Re: He said what??
Jul 31, 2010, 14:01
Re: He said what?? Jul 31, 2010, 14:01
Jul 31, 2010, 14:01

As usual, the richest bitches the loudest... Mr "Creative Strategist" oh my...

Piracy, eh? Neverending stooory aaa aaa aaa

So ok, for many years I`m an ex-pirate - but only because I don`t need to be anymore, thanks to second hand circuit. Also, lack of current hardware (PS2 & 2ghz PC) and obsessive need to have it on release day...

The thing all you judgemental types fail/refuse to understand is that games are simply too expensive for gazillions of gamers. If you never struggled to make ends met, you`ll prattle on.
Also, my secret wish is for Good God Ever Knowing to release a BigList of anyone that ever pirated something. You`d be surprised how many of current preachers would be on it...It really is easier to be righteous if you`re journo/dev/guy-that-can-afford-few-full-price-releases a month.

Despite the above, I`m not saying everyone should hit the torrents pronto. People should have some sense of proportion too, of course.
If every other person followed what they say in .nfo files and actually bought the game if they really enjoyed it things would improve greatly... Also, support the independents & risk takers goddamit

Now, for the uhm, torrent of abuse
28 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older