Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 1135 (Pro)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 22, 2016, 08:00 yuastnav

I actually thought Brigador looked neat but after reading the RPS review I've kind of forgotten about it. It was actually a positive review but for some reason I just forgot.

I might pick it up, though, because it does genuinely look like a good game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stardew Valley OS X & Linux Next Week
4. Re: Stardew Valley OS X & Linux Next Week Jul 21, 2016, 11:13 yuastnav

As far as I know there is not much known about the multiplayer.

Version 1.1, however, will add more content, i.e. two new spouses, new buildings (like a windmill) etc.

Also looking forward to the Linux version. It's just a shame that it's not done by flibitijibibo but by some company with not such a stellar track record.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
65. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 04:19 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 01:00:
So, uh, Netflix, uh, is having a pretty good year. Eh?

Cannot say I am happy for them because I am still mad that they blocked vpn access.

You know, it wouldn't even be as bad if they priced it accordingly. But no. Same price, different content. That's really lame.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
64. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 04:18 yuastnav

So when you search google for "White people are really getting on my nerve like" there is NOTHING. When you search her tweet history you cannot find such a tweet.
https://twitter.com/search?q=white%20people%20from%3Alesdoggg&src=typd&lang=en
Nothing of this can be found on https://tweetsave.com/

So it is incredibly unlikely she ever wrote something like this and thus it is photoshopped. Which doesn't surprise me because Milo is a piece of rubbish. Says a lot of cringeworthy stuff. We have a nice word for that in German. Fremdschämen.

News Comments > Anno 2205 DLC
2. Re: Anno 2205 DLC Jul 21, 2016, 03:49 yuastnav

I really enjoyed Anno 2070 but haven't played any of the other games.

From what I could gather the new Anno has some issues and is also streamlined in some aspects. What's the truth? Is it worth playing?

News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 1 Going Free
10. Re: Life is Strange Episode 1 Going Free Jul 21, 2016, 03:45 yuastnav

Yeah, it was a pretty good game. I glad I picked it up immediately when it was released, it was nice playing each episode a few months apart, it gave time to reflect upon what I played and it wasn't difficult to get into each new episode.  

News Comments > Cossacks 3 in September
3. Re: Cossacks 3 in September Jul 19, 2016, 18:10 yuastnav

Yay! Really looking forward to this game.  

News Comments > LawBreakers Trailer & More Testing
6. Re: LawBreakers Trailer & More Testing Jul 19, 2016, 17:40 yuastnav

I played the closed Alpha and had a blast. The shooting is fun and the movement is good. Looking forward to the next testing phase.  

News Comments > Arma 3: Apex Released
1. Re: Arma 3: Apex Released Jul 12, 2016, 09:39 yuastnav

Just thought I'd bring my comment in from the other thread.

Maybe it's time to play ARMA 3 again. I stopped playing it midway through the second episode of the main campaign. It's an incredible game. The movement is so, so, so much better than in the previous games and the campaign is really fun. I stopped because I'm really shitty at missions where you have to sneak around.
It's basically the missions where you have your squad and you have to steal a fuel truck all the while not being detected by the enemy forces, which are much larger and include several tanks and a helicopter. The reason why I don't like these missions is because it's always a guessing game whether you will get detected or not.
If it's not something like Thief or Splinter Cell, where you have a direct indicator of how well you are hidden/visible it's really difficult to get a sense of how well the enemy can see you but this is an AI problem and therefore difficult to implement properly.

I'd really like to continue though because I want to see where the story takes me.

News Comments > DOOM Adds Vulkan Support
24. Re: DOOM Adds Vulkan Support Jul 12, 2016, 02:51 yuastnav

I went ahead and bought DOOM while it was on sale. The demo didn't impress me but I decided to give the game another chance. It's really a mediocre shooter. All I want is shoot but I'm constantly hindered by the gore kill mechanic where the enemies are dazed instead of just dying. Furthermore the chainsaw is absolutely ATROCIOUS in this game. I cannot believe they were able to fuck this up so badly. What's wrong with the original chainsaw from Doom? I will never understand this.
I'm happy that it has Vulkan support but I'd be much happier if more games would include it.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2016, 09:39.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 12, 2016, 02:37 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 20:20:
For Pokemon Go you also have to accept a permission list that is 3 pages long on Android.. and the privacy issue is exactly the same there.

Exactly. Not going to touch this with a ten foot pole.

News Comments > More Blood Revival Teasing
21. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 19:36 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 19:13:
OK. I've only played vanilla and that was literally 15 years ago when the game came out. I got bored of it rather quickly since I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer and I was way more invested in CS and UT at the time (UT with instagib mod was about as fast as Q3A but IMHO more fun and furious! ). Q3A always seemed a little too simple and one-dimensional compared to CS or UT so I lost interest very quickly.

When you watch some competitive Quake 3 matches you start to realise how insane this game is. It's all about timing, positioning, movement and aiming. You have to know the maps extremely well, you have to constantly anticipate where your enemy is going to be and you need to move around really quickly all the while trying to hit the enemy. Some of the rail shots that the best players can pull of are unreal. Think quick, shoot even quicker.
The maps may be smaller but it's far from simple.

19. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 18:39 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 18:19:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 17:53:
Of course it doesn't but Quake 3 was the last time I've seen a mainstream fast FPS.

Eh? Serious Sam, dude?

Serious Sam is fast but it's not as quick or fast-paced as Quake 3. This game is incredibly quick, especially when you install some of the mods like CPMA.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: LGR - Building a 486 DOS PC Jul 9, 2016, 17:57 yuastnav

DG wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 17:28:
Hmm, so I guess I have to decide whether to bother switching from 7 to 10 sometime in the coming week, as afterwards I will not have time to do it before the free upgrade window ends.

Is there really much point to it, other than extending support + DX12?

Also, any ideas how well the upgrade path is working? I've been a clean-install type of guy for a long time but that'd be a huge hassle now.

I don't think it's worth it. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm not happy with it. It now takes 3 to 4 times as long to boot (I've had a lot of stuff installed but Windows 7 always booted incredibly fast, even faster than my Debian installation - although to be fair, Debian runs on a laptop while Win7 is a desktop machine) and Windows 10 didn't recognise the network card. Like what? My motherboard is not that uncommon but I couldn't connect to a network until I manually installed some drivers from a usb stick. This is incredibly shameful, Microsoft.

16. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 17:53 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 16:26:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 14:02:
Man, that would be awesome.

Although the reason why games like Blood and Quake 3 were so great is because of the respective engine. The movement etc. was just fantastic. Similar thing with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. The Quake 3 engine is so versatile that you could do stuff like that and why Quake 3 was such an amazing game.

Most games we have today just seem so slow in comparison. The only fast game we have is Warsow but barely anyone plays it.

Movement speed has nothing to do with the engine. It's a conscious design choice. The reason why most modern shooters are slow is because they're designed for gamepads which don't work so well for fast-paced twitch shooters.

Of course it doesn't but Quake 3 was the last time I've seen a mainstream fast FPS. Someone COULD try to make an engine where the movement feels good and is quick but no one did. As you've pointed out it's more of a design decision due to very limited controls.

7. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 14:02 yuastnav

Man, that would be awesome.

Although the reason why games like Blood and Quake 3 were so great is because of the respective engine. The movement etc. was just fantastic. Similar thing with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. The Quake 3 engine is so versatile that you could do stuff like that and why Quake 3 was such an amazing game.

Most games we have today just seem so slow in comparison. The only fast game we have is Warsow but barely anyone plays it.

News Comments > Splash Damage (and Digital Extremes) Sales
3. Re: Splash Damage (and Digital Extremes) Sales Jul 9, 2016, 14:00 yuastnav

I thought it's because Activision are morons.

Why Enemy Territory never got a sequel I don't know. It was a great game and a lot of people played it.

Quake Wars, on the other hand, just died after it was acquired by Activision. They stopped updating the game, fixing bugs, never brought new maps etc.

News Comments > Starbound This Month
6. Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 12:50 yuastnav

Finally. Took them long enough.

Also by this point I've stopped caring. I have Stardew Valley now.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jul 6, 2016, 03:54 yuastnav

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 00:26:
ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 21:53:
Complaining about babes. You millennials truly are the worst fucking generation ever.

Don't tell them that, you might trigger them. Or that women also like looking at sexy women...and men.

Right, right. Keri actually wrote something like that in one of the last articles on actiontrip. Except that, you know, people were really against having a category showing sexy men. Huh.

By the way, still waiting for those studies that show that women cannot deal with criticism. Don't tell me you were talking out of your ass when you wrote that oh so many weeks ago.

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 21:53:
Complaining about babes. You millennials truly are the worst fucking generation ever.

Alright, come on pops. Those millennials won't bother you anymore.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 6, 2016, 03:48 yuastnav

Slick wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:03:
you'd think that if people were concerned about radiowaves harming them, that all radio and tv broadcasts (over the air) would have been terminated decades ago, as the amplitude of those mediums are much higher than a miliamp 2.4ghz router...

Amplitude != Frequency
As far as I know mobile phones, TV braodcasts, radio broadcasts and routers all use frequencies within a range of three magnitudes from each other.
http://www.emfrf.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/spectrum.jpg
That means that radio is up to a couple of hundred MHz, mobile phones a couple hundred MHz up to a couple of GHz and wireless routers have a few GHz.
Thus radio and TV broadcasts are below mobile phones and routers, which means that they potentially transmit a lower energy through the energy-frequency relation E = h * f whereas E is the energy, h is the Planck constant and f is the frequency.
The most important part, however, is that electromagnetic radiation below the visible light wrt the frequency is non-ionising. That doesn't mean it's not harmful, i.e. I wouldn't wanna live directly on top of a cell tower which has a transmission power of 10 W or so, that would definitely cook your brain. But the further away you get the better it gets.
Mobile phones usually have a transmission power of up to 2 W but modern smartphones are all around 0.5 W.

Studies have shown that indeed this kind of power is not enough to excite or alter the cells in your head but it certainly heats them up. However, from what we know, or what studies have shown, is that radiation from cell phones does not increase the risk of cancer etc.
There is a nice article about that: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/cellphones-do-not-give-you-brain-cancer/
Basically we have not seen an increase in tumors that has been expected. Furthermore several long-term studies with a large N have been conducted and have not seen an increase in cancer from mobile phone use.

Simon Says wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 01:30:
[...]
Its sometimes surprising... especially considering the cube root decline with distance. Distance plays a major role, since the opposite is also true, if you're 3 times closer, you don't get 3 times as much, not even 9 times, but 27 times. Considering that we smack our skull directly on it, sometimes going from 10 meters ( the router ) to a few millimiters ( the smartphone ) well, even with a much lower amplitude than the router, you can see how the smartphone can afterall compare in terms of exposition when you do the math with the cube function.

Not saying the fearmongerers are right, just saying its worth studying if there are doubts/uncertainties lingering in the scientific community, and if there aren't, well, people need to stop acting paranoid.

The cube root decline is only true for point like charges or as an approximation for radiation sources that are far away.
Here is a bit of a mathematical explanation of what I mean. I'm not sure whether this would be a good approximation when it comes to mobile phones, or routers.
There is still no strict consensus in the medical community, at least as far as I know, whether mobile phones can cause cancer, especially because there are just as many studies on each side, however, you have to also look at the quality of the studies.
I can only really speak for the physics community, though and the consensus there, as far as I know, is that there is no real harm.

1135 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo