Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 1232 (Pro)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 28, 2017, 07:24 yuastnav

Do Cellphones Cause Cancer? Most likely not.

Most studies that were done, the ones that showed a correlation and the ones that didn't show a correlation, were flawed.
Additionally, the predictions that were made about the how certain types of cancer would become more frequent but the rates do not increase, actually.

Furthermore the radiation emitted by cellphones is non-ionising. Ionising radiation probably starts above 1PHz, around were ultra-violet light is. Normal light is below that, infrared is below and that the frequencies that are used by mobile phones, afaik a couple GHz, are below that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Splash Damage Self-Publishing Dirty Bomb
5. Re: Splash Damage Self-Publishing Dirty Bomb Feb 6, 2017, 04:14 yuastnav

Man, the only good shooter last year was Shadow Warrior 2.
However, I also loved the Lawbreakers Alpha.

Dirty Bomb was good but the F2P/P2W element killed this game for me. Too much grind, stupid unlock system. I would've much preferred just to pay 40 for it and be done with it. But now, they had to be greedy.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 31, 2017, 03:13 yuastnav

Yeah, this seems really baffling? Why Warhammer? It's a completely fictitious universe and no one who'd come into contact with it would think "man, really need that fox pelt".

On the other hand, when I see the figurines, why the hell would a Space Marine squad wear fur? Makes absolutely no sense, you'd really use a material that is more durable and can withstand a tank shot.

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
25. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 30, 2017, 01:52 yuastnav

Seems reasonable, still looking forward to the game. I like Wasteland 2 and I trust inxile to do a good job on T:ToN. I have to admit, though, that I never played Planescape Torment. I was very late to the game and only started a playthrough once but had to stop playing due to studies and unfortunately never went back to it.  

News Comments > Stars in Shadow Released
9. Re: Stars in Shadow Released Jan 20, 2017, 13:52 yuastnav

JaguarUSF wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 05:50:
I'm finishing up reviewing it right now (I'll post it Monday). It's pretty decent, some annoying things (too easy to ally, namely), but mostly good.

What about people like me, who never got into any 4X game but always wanted to try one out?

6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 19, 2017, 08:05 yuastnav

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 06:41:
You paragons of knowledge and humour do realize that in phyics the term "mass effect" is more commonly known as gravity?

I dunno, I've never really seen this particular term in this context.

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
25. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 03:08 yuastnav

Slick wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 02:08:
[...]
And my wife runs linux for work, and I can't tell you how many hours of headache most of those upgrades are, +75% of the time after updating the computer won't POST.

Operating systems should be both held to a higher standard of QA for such a mission-critical piece of software, and at the same time given a little slack considering how monstrously complicated they are.

What distro is she running? I have friends who used suse, fedora, ubuntu etc. and they all told me that it's kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes the updates break something, sometimes they don't.

I've been running Debian Stable for over ten years and I've had one system upgrade where I've had some problems I had to solve. And that's because of my own damn stupidity because I didn't run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" before running "apt-get dist-upgrade".
Apart from that Debian Stable is always smooth sailing. It's the most stable OS I've ever had.
Well, DOS was pretty stable, too, from what I remember when I was four years old.

Downside is, of course, that you don't get the latest software and it can be a real pain. Sometimes I wanna run new software and I can't because it's not in the repository. And I cannot compile it because the libraries it depends on are outdated. *sigh* Oh well, current Debian testing is going to freeze in February so that means I'll get a shiny new system this spring yaaaay.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
22. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 9, 2017, 06:09 yuastnav

jimnms wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 04:43:
saluk wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 20:12:
They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

That thing was amazing. There are add-ons but I haven't found any that work as well as that did.

I used that as well, and still do. The announcement that they were dropping it from a built in feature recommended Tab Groups for those that used the feature. It is based on the original Mozilla code. It used to be an addon before Mozilla integrated it, now they've spun it back off as an addon. I'm actually glad they did because now with it as an independent addon again it has been updated, new features added and it is so much better now. It seamlessly imported my tab groups from Firefox and it's like nothing ever changed for me (except the improvements). Firefox tended to corrupt the tab groups and I'd have to edit my session.js to manually repair it. This hasn't happened any more, but it has a backup feature so that you can restore a previous backup if it does.

As for tabs, memory usage and stability, Firefox's reliability has been rock solid recently. I have 4 tab groups (the main window and 3 saved that I use frequently). I hardly ever close Firefox. I currently have 62 tabs open among the 4 groups (34 on the main windows). Firefox has been running for 8 days and is using 1.8GB of memory.

Hey thanks, I kinda missed Tab Groups. Didn't use them all the time but they were useful. Was really puzzled that they decided to remove them.

Unfortunately all modern browsers are pretty terrible. Whenever I want something lightweight I use midori. I use Chrome for Netflix and Amazon and for everything else I use Firefox. But maaan is this browser slow. And what a memory hog. Unfortunately it is the only browser that is even useful to me because of all the addons I need, addons which Chrome does not have. Which is, unfortunately, also part of the reason why Firefox is so slow.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 9, 2017, 04:35 yuastnav

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 23:02:
If you go the Pi route, there is an image available by searching "retropie" in our favorite nordic search engine. It completely fills a 64gb card.

I have my retro pi setup using my original SNES controllers.

Man, thanks for that.

I was actually going to buy a NES Classic Mini but the price is totally inflated at the moment with the thing costing up to 200 Euros. And now I learn from Mordecai Walfish that the experience is actually inferior to when you make something like that yourself so I guess I'll make one myself.

So you just need a Raspberry Pi? apt-cache search tells me there are a couple of emulators so that won't be a problem. And then probably just get the usb adapter for the controller. Plus HDMI cable. Am I missing something?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 1, 2017, 16:59 yuastnav

DangerDog wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 15:52:
I'd switch to microsoft phone before going to apple.

Exactly this.

Why would I switch to a product made by a company I despise because of its cult-like abhorrent hipster image and sealed off eco system.

News Comments > Final Fantasy Creator's New Game Plans
7. Re: Final Fantasy Creator's New Game Plans Dec 30, 2016, 05:13 yuastnav

Sakaguchi!  

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
9. Re: Christmas Eve Tech Bits Dec 25, 2016, 05:05 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 14:59:
And you're horribly naive and overly optimistic if you can't see the potential dangers of AI. That's what Westworld is about. What happens when the robots start designing robots?

What do you mean 'what happens'? That would be an ideal situation, that is what we want. We DO want van Neumann machine.

I never understood where this idea came from. Terminator is a good movie but it's also just science fiction, like everything else we know about AI. People never look on the other side, Golem XIV or something like that. There is NO indication that artificial intelligences would want to destroy us, that is just all in your head.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Dec 20, 2016, 06:58 yuastnav

Dear Disney, please don't. We already have KOTOR.  

News Comments > Egosoft Plans "Real" X4
4. Re: Egosoft Plans Dec 16, 2016, 11:32 yuastnav

From what I understand Deepsilver wanted to make a simplified X game for consoles. That pretty much backfire, especially because it was still to (technically) complicated for consoles (and because Egosoft don't have the best track record when it comes to releasing bug free games, the release of X3 was a mess where it crashed to desktop when you tried to edit the first sector) but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and am this cautiously optimistic.  

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Launch Trailer
16. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Launch Trailer Dec 13, 2016, 02:55 yuastnav

Man, I loved E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy and I had SUCH high hopes for this game but it looks more disappointing by the day.  

2. Re: The 10 best Star Wars games in the galaxy, ever Dec 13, 2016, 02:52 yuastnav

Irrelevant list because there is no Jedi Outcast.
How could they not include the Dark Forces series? I understand that the first Dark Forces was just a shooter but no game has done lightsaber fighting better before or after Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast.

I'd play Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy any day, the former especially for the multiplayer and the latter for the singleplayer (mp in JA is a buggy mess, afaik there has only ever been ONE patch that fixed minor things, shame on you Raven Software >:( ...)

Knights of the old republic were also really good games. Of course it's typical EA that they had to completely ruin it and make a MMO out of it. Bunch of utter morons. The second kotor was better, though. Better story, more interesting characters. Doesn't mean the first one isn't good. No, it's superb! But I guess I always liked Obsidian's story writing more than Bioware's, although their games are always a buggy mess (here's looking at you Alpha Protocol - such an interesting concept ruined by terrible shooting mechanics, a myriad of bugs and one of the worst PC ports I have ever seen).
Hope I'll be able to find some time to buy and play Tyranny over Christmas.

I really wish there would have been a sequel to Republic Commando. Another hint that the author has absolutely no idea what he is talking about when he says it feels more like a Tom Clancy game. But then again he probably only saw the new games. Because when it comes to tactics then Republic Commando is nothing like Ghost Recon or Rogue Spear.

Unfortunately I never played the older games, like Tie Fighter etc. so I cannot say anything about those but how the hell is Star Wars X-Wing Alliance not on that list. Instead you get Pod Racer (not that it's a bad game, it was actually pretty good but basing a game on one of the more boring parts of The Dark Menace is kinda weird - or just a cash grab). Just go home, Gerald.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Free DLC
7. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Free DLC Dec 9, 2016, 02:08 yuastnav

This game is definitely worth it. My favourite shooter this year. Hell, my favourite shooter for some time now.  

News Comments > Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced
16. Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced Dec 2, 2016, 18:02 yuastnav

Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 17:28:
yuastnav wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 17:04:
Never played it. This is the game where you cannot jump, right? God that is so stupid in a first person shooter.

Doom 1 and 2 where great, despite not being able to jump, but the thing I want in a shooter is incredibly fast gameplay, just really fast movement and great shooting. These two things are really important. How can you make a modern shooter without jumping?

Well, like you said, you never played it, so having a negative opinion on the whole game because of that one fact is kinda silly. The reason it's there (or not, as it may be) is because it's not needed. In all honesty, I can't even remember if the ability to jump is there or not in Bulletstorm and that alone proves that having it wouldn't matter. Putting something in the game because every other FPS has it (ie chest high walls, cover mechanics or washed out brown textures) is a road littered with the burned out husks of CoD sequels and clones...and thus not what this particular game was/is about...

=-Rigs-=

Oh I did watch the wtf is of Bulletstorm and wasn't impressed either. Apart from that I don't play cover shooters. I only played the first Call of Duty and had enough of that series after that.
What I want is something like Quake 3 or Shadow Warrior 2. And both of these games use jumping extensively.
Personally the ability to jump is a must, whether it's really needed or not. I just feel extremely limited when I cannot do that, like I'm in a straitjacket or something. (apply only to shooters, of course)

News Comments > Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced
14. Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Announced Dec 2, 2016, 17:04 yuastnav

Never played it. This is the game where you cannot jump, right? God that is so stupid in a first person shooter.

Doom 1 and 2 where great, despite not being able to jump, but the thing I want in a shooter is incredibly fast gameplay, just really fast movement and great shooting. These two things are really important. How can you make a modern shooter without jumping?

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Footage
6. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Footage Dec 2, 2016, 16:50 yuastnav

I was really looking forward to this, especially because this is made by Streum-On Studios, but after skipping through the upload of TotalBiscuit's stream of this game I'm kinda disappointed.
He wasn't too fond of it either.

1232 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo