Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 1092 (Pro)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 03:06 yuastnav

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 03:17:
Stanislav Lem also wrote "Invincible", where the crew of a space cruiser discovers a planet completely stripped of life by an artificial swarm organism.

How AI will turn out, is anyone's guess. My personal guess is that AI will gradually improve over a long period of time. It won't suddenly become self-aware (like Skynet) and it will be designed to handle different tasks and will have "intelligence" suited to those tasks. I think humanity is perfectly capable of destroying itself and its habitat without any help from an AI. Even if we build a powerful self-aware AI that is capable of replication and learning and it turns murderous, it's still going to be our mistake and our responsibility.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. It's difficult to tell how it may turn out in the future so why do most people assume that they're out to kill us?

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 03:36:
[...]
Did the humans try and shut Golem down? What happened when they did?

Actually they didn't. They had a very long talk with Golem. Well it was more of a monologue on Golem's part. In the end Golem shut itself off, no one knows why. Or maybe it just stopped talking.

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:56:
[...]
If it were truly AI, it would quickly come to the conclusion we are all off our rockers and just put us out of our misery, for the greater good.

In Golem's case it might be just that Golem decided not to bother anymore and to autoevolve to reach further planes of intelligence. Maybe reach apotheosis, who knows haha.

Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 12:52:
[...]
In Peter F Hamilton's commonwealth series, the AIs eventually form the SI (Sentient Intelligence), which co-exists with humanity but also spies on it and tends to interfere in human development in certain ways. It also writes Restricted Intelligences for humanity to do the work that AIs were doing before.

Then, thousand years later, when a chunk of humanity uploads itself into a neural network named ANA, which becomes an entity onto itself, ANA forbids the SI from contacting or interfering with humanity, and it kinds of treats the SI as an unwanted black sheep in the family.

In any case, for all how it's called an AI, it's just a massive series of if/then statements.

Well yeah, but then there's the question how much that differs from a normal human brain. Unfortunately we are a long way off of knowing that.

I was at a talk of a friend of mine (he's a neuroscientists; there's both neuros and physicists at my institute) who gave, as an example, a certain type of worm (C. Elegans or something). That worm has between 200 and 300 neural synapses and it's possible to completely map this neural network in a computer simulation.
https://static01.nyt.com/packages/images/newsgraphics/2011/0620-brain/0621-sci-BRAIN.jpg
Unfortunately that neither lets us predict nor tells us how the worm is going to behave or move and what not.
So I'm not sure whether an evolved AI is just a bunch of if/then statements. It's certainly something that can be observed scientifically but I think we're not even close to beginning to understand how a complex intelligence works.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 30, 2016, 02:33 yuastnav

I wonder why people keep saying that. There is absolutely no indication that artificial intelligences would want to take over humanity, this is all speculation.

In fact the Polish science fiction Stanislaw Lem wrote a book title Golem XIV where the complete opposite happened. Humans created an AI that was magnitudes more intelligent than humans themselves and at some point just stopped talking to humans altogether.

News Comments > DOOM Demo Extended
92. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 11:27 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 12:58:
I just hated the weapons and upgrades in SW (the physical ones were so pointless), hated the enemies, really hated the bosses (oh my god, the sword fights with whatshisname, or shooting a giant in the shin for 10 minutes...), etc.

Different strokes. I really felt like that game did everything poorly. I gritted through till the end because I wanted to see what a fully modded sword was like. Answer: horribly underwhelming.

Yeah, the boss fights were not great. Obviously I cannot comment on DOOM with respect to that.

I loved the fully upgraded sword. You could just walk and slice everyone from afar. I was really disappointed when you didn't have it in NG+. I mean, from a story standpoint it makes sense but I still would've liked to finish the whole game with the fully upgraded sword.

So DOOM is at a reasonable price right now. I'm still struggling to buy it, though. The glory kills are too much of a nuisance.
I mean, you don't have technically to do them but it feels like the game is really designed around that mechanic.

[edit]
Also what ItBurn said. I also really liked the story, the atmosphere and the voice acting in Shadow Warrior. And the levels were much clearer designed, too, which I cannot say for the DOOM demo. They are not bad but Shadow Warrior's levels were better.

50. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 22, 2016, 12:34 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 07:13:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 06:55:
I actually managed to download the DOOM demo on Sunday and gave it a go. It was a somewhat disappointing experience.
At least I figured that I'll probably never play it because the asking price of 60 Euros is too high and by the time it gets discounted or goes on sale I'll probably have lost interest.

Essentially the game is a bit slow and the shooting is okay. The glory kills are terrible. What a terrible mechanic. They completely stop the pace of the game. I'm used to fast-paced, quick shooting experiences where you're on your toes almost the whole time and the glory kills are in the way. Luckily you don't have to do them but I wish I could turn them off completely.
The shooting is not great. The shotgun feels a bit weak and the pistol is... kinda weird. The primary firing mode feels really underpowered and the secondary firing mode is just useless.
The fact that there are upgrades available for the guns etc. is something I should've known from the start but it's actually not terrible. Shadow Warrior did it well and it could work in DOOM, albeit feeling out of place.
The few levels that were available in the demo were quite okay. I cannot really complain about them but they didn't make me go "wow, that's really good level design" either.

Overall it was an okay experience but I didn't have nearly as much fun as with Shadow Warrior.

To me, glory kills kept the pace fine. I don't know what's in the demo, is it just early? Later in the game, killing becomes almost a ballet as you fly through levels with a lot of verticality, full of monsters, and glory kills keep the pace.

I found the shooting fantastic. Again, if this is early, you probably have just the early weapons. I never used the pistol. Ever. The pistol is there solely in case you somehow run out of ammo for everything, much like in Quake. The shotgun, too, I only used in the first 3 levels.

The upgrades I found very useful and used constantly. It's interesting to me that you compare this to Shadow Warrior. I hated Shadow Warrior's upgrade system. Most of it I found to be completely superfluous, and I hated Shadow Warriors weapons. The rocket launcher was the least satisfying I've ever used in an FPS, the crossbow felt wrong. The only weapon there I liked was the submachine gun, and the mechanic to go akimbo was idiotic and required holding down way too many buttons. Doom, in my opinion, only really has two iffy weapons, and they're the first to you get. They're the ones you mentioned.

I thought Shadow Warrior was the second worst FPS I've played in ages, with only Hard Reset being worse. The levels were awful, the enemies were awful or frustrating, getting into battles with 4 guys who can only be killed by shooting them in the back endlessly and 3 guys who constantly put up shields making them invulnerable for 10-30 seconds was a horrible mechanic, etc.

Funny how different people can be. This is why, when people demand things like "objective reviews," I laugh. I'd give Shadow Warrior, at most, a 4 out of 10. Doom was a 9. The later levels are great.

Shadow Warrior was far from perfect and I didn't like how some of the weapons felt either. But killing demons was much more satisfying for me than it was in DOOM. It is just a general feeling. I wanted to like DOOM. I would've probably even bought it if it was priced at say 40 Euros but 60 + 30 for the Season Pass is just a ludicrous amount of money. I paid much less for Shadow Warrior and played through the campaign three times I think. Had a blast every time. I just don't see the same thing happening with DOOM, especially because the multiplayer is so lacklustre.

My problem with the glory kills is not only that they interrupt the pace but because of how "staged" they are, for the lack of a better word. It's just like press "A" for Awesome. I want to shoot in my shooter. Shadow Warrior solved this very nicely because they gave you a sword and they made it really, really fun using it.
Doom has a chainsaw and I know that you get it later in the game. Then I don't understand what the glory kills are for. Why bother? You can just slice your way through the enemies.

What I don't like both about Shadow Warrior and DOOM is how they spawn in monsters. Some of them are placed inside the level but once you reach a certain point or kill a certain number of monsters they just teleport in more. I prefer if everything is in place and I guess that is one thing I like about open world shooters like STALKER, which was a fantastic game AND a fantastic shooter.

Of course there is a huge difference between these types of games because one is a linear shooter and the other is not quite that. But teleporting in enemies feels more like a limitation of the engine, like you cannot have more enemies in the same are at the same time. That's a shame. That's not how I remember Doom.

I'd probably give Shadow Warrior an 8 and DOOM a 6, at least from what I saw in the demo.

45. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 22, 2016, 06:55 yuastnav

I actually managed to download the DOOM demo on Sunday and gave it a go. It was a somewhat disappointing experience.
At least I figured that I'll probably never play it because the asking price of 60 Euros is too high and by the time it gets discounted or goes on sale I'll probably have lost interest.

Essentially the game is a bit slow and the shooting is okay. The glory kills are terrible. What a terrible mechanic. They completely stop the pace of the game. I'm used to fast-paced, quick shooting experiences where you're on your toes almost the whole time and the glory kills are in the way. Luckily you don't have to do them but I wish I could turn them off completely.
The shooting is not great. The shotgun feels a bit weak and the pistol is... kinda weird. The primary firing mode feels really underpowered and the secondary firing mode is just useless.
The fact that there are upgrades available for the guns etc. is something I should've known from the start but it's actually not terrible. Shadow Warrior did it well and it could work in DOOM, albeit feeling out of place.
The few levels that were available in the demo were quite okay. I cannot really complain about them but they didn't make me go "wow, that's really good level design" either.

Overall it was an okay experience but I didn't have nearly as much fun as with Shadow Warrior.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2016, 08:57 yuastnav

Linus is actually pronounced Lin-us, whereas the "u" is more like a very short "Oooh" and so Linux becomes Lin-ucks.

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d1083/Linus_Torvalds

Also not sure about those Scientific Publications. Although to be fair I have no idea how it's in Nature since I don't read Nature in my field. More like Physics Review, Nuclear Physics and Physics Letters. There I've never seen a publication that skimmed on the methods part or had a supplement to the actual paper.

News Comments > It came from E3 2016, Part 3
13. Only three percent of games shown at E3 keynotes featured female protagonists - The Verge Jun 19, 2016, 04:30 yuastnav

Well DUH, trve gamerz don't want those pesky females pestering their precious gamez hurr durr.

Seriously though, I always find it weird when you start using percentages with such low N. When you use percentages that means that you try to use some sort of generalisation. In this case they did it because they wanted to compare it to last year but the number of samples is just so stupidly low that it doesn't make much sense.
On the other hand it really probably wouldn't hurt big game publishers if they had more women protagonists. I say the reason they don't do this is irrational fear and incompetence and the latter is not surprising seeing how some games turn out to be.

News Comments > Law Breakers Testing Details
1. Re: Law Breakers Testing Details Jun 18, 2016, 06:03 yuastnav

Cool, didn't know there was one.  

News Comments > Cossacks 3 Trailer
1. Re: Cossacks 3 Trailer Jun 17, 2016, 17:45 yuastnav

Woohoo, more Cossacks 3 gameplay!  

News Comments > Next Week's Steam Summer Sale Confirmed?
51. Re: Next Week's Steam Summer Sale Confirmed? Jun 17, 2016, 07:09 yuastnav

8752 continuous hours
364 days,16 hours,19 minutes

To be fair, a lot of the nigh 1000 games I have come from many, many bundles that I have bought over the years where it was cheaper to just buy the bundle to get the one game that I wanted instead of buying the game itself. So there are games I'm probably not even going to play.

News Comments > Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Trailers
5. Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Trailers Jun 15, 2016, 04:49 yuastnav

Really looking forward to this game. At first I didn't get the appeal of M&B, just by looking at some gameplay videos, but once I tried it myself I couldn't get away.

I just wish for a more dynamic world and better AI. Whenever a war broke out between nations in M&B sometimes barely anything happened. I want nations to be able to conquer territory, destroy castles, fight each other mercilessly. And I also want to be able to build my own castles and towns etc.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed
17. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed Jun 15, 2016, 04:45 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 13:51:
|RaptoR| wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 13:10:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 12:40:
I've been wanting a game similar to Test Drive Unlimited 2 and people in a thread a couple of years ago told me that what I'm looking for is Forza Horizon 2 (since The Crew is pretty terrible due to bad driving... why you would fuck up something like the driving in a racing game is beyond me).

Is Forza Horizon 3 going in a similar direction? If that is the case I'd need to upgrade to W10... which I really don't want to do.

On the other hand I did upgrade to Win XP back in the day so I could play X2.

The Horizon games are some of my favorites across all genres, and certainly best in class in racing/free roam!

Agreed. I had a TON of fun with Horizon 2. My wife at first enjoyed just being able to drive around in it (and wrecking MY cars!), but eventually she wanted to be able to discover her own roads and set her own speed trap times etc, so I created a new profile for her so she could have her own settings. Not much later she was actually doing races.

It's a really good and fun racer. It's not a sim, don't go looking for actual Forza levels of simulation in it, much less something like Assetto Corsa, but the open world and the cool stuff to do make it well worth it if you like driving games.

But is the driving any good? Like I said, I loved the idea of TDU2 but the driving was just okay and that is also the reason why I stayed away from The Crew.
I'm not a sim guy, although I do play Dirt Rally with a wheel and without assists and it is so much fun, but I would like the cars to feel different and not be too arcadey.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed
5. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed Jun 14, 2016, 12:40 yuastnav

I've been wanting a game similar to Test Drive Unlimited 2 and people in a thread a couple of years ago told me that what I'm looking for is Forza Horizon 2 (since The Crew is pretty terrible due to bad driving... why you would fuck up something like the driving in a racing game is beyond me).

Is Forza Horizon 3 going in a similar direction? If that is the case I'd need to upgrade to W10... which I really don't want to do.

On the other hand I did upgrade to Win XP back in the day so I could play X2.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls VI in Development
23. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 12:37 yuastnav

Probably not before 2019.

Anyway, I have given up hope that we'll ever see something like Morrowind again. How awesome it was to create ridiculous spells, put a ridiculous and useless set of clothes, armour and an enchanted robe on a character and basically fly across half of Vvardenfell... just because. Also, the way women and men walk differently in Skyrim is pretty dumb.

Oh well, we'll always have the sandboxy goodness of OpenMW.

What an action adventure with rpg elements like TES really needs is a next generation AI and dynamic world simulation. Of course you need to have scripted events if you want to tell a story but being to become Archmage and no one even bats an eye at that is pretty ridiculous. For that, however, you would also need dynamic dialogue generation and speech synthetisation. I don't think something like that is going to be realistic in the next few decades.

I wonder what "big plans" they have.

News Comments > Lawbreakers Trailer; Alpha & Early Access Details
2. Re: Lawbreakers Trailer; Alpha & Early Access Details Jun 14, 2016, 08:36 yuastnav

We'll see. I'm for one am looking forward to it. I would've loved to play Overwatch but the stars just didn't align. Hopefully I'll get access to my gaming rig in the next months so I can try out Lawbreakers. The concept of an arena shooter with less emphasis on vastly different heroes is much more appealing than the rock paper scissors style of Overwatch.  

News Comments > Quake Champions Announced
49. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 14, 2016, 06:27 yuastnav

Razumen wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 15:13:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 15:11:
Why can't we just have something like Quake 3?
A fast, arena-based shooter with no loadouts, no special characters/abilities, no heroes, no bullshit.

Just balanced gameplay, a large array of awesome weapons, fast-paced movement and balanced and well-designed levels.

We do, it's called Quake 3 Live and no one plays it.

Barely anyone plays it because the game is almost 17 years old.

News Comments > DOOM Demo During E3
15. Re: DOOM Demo During E3 Jun 14, 2016, 06:21 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 05:49:
Quboid wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 21:04:
Very enjoyable old-school shooter

I don't get the appeal after playing the demo. It was just as disappointing as the lame multiplayer beta.

This is a casual shooting gallery. It's Candy Crush with guns. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't see what is "old school" about it except the rather shitty graphics.

It doesn't even have reload. Most of my old school shooters had a reload mechanic and they often times had gameplay revolving around the preservation of ammo. Ammo was often times sparse, especially at the higher difficulty levels. You had to either aim and shoot really well or explore a lot to find hidden stashes with additional clips of ammo. That was old school. Not even having reload is casual crap.

The weapons also lack ooomph. Where's the visceral BOOM when you fire the shotgun? Not there. It's tame and lame.

Now add to this stuff like the glory kill QTEs (that's exactly what they are... a QTE) or checkpoint saves instead of a proper F5 save anywhere and you have a casual console port shooting gallery that may be fun in very short bursts on a lunch break but it ain't nuttin' special I'll tell ya that!

$2.99 sale for the GOTY. Maybe. But probably not. Pass. Next.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had access to my gaming rig for some time now and due to this idiotic one week limitation for the demo I won't be able to play it so I'll know for the future to stay away from this game.

News Comments > Quake Champions Announced
26. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 13, 2016, 15:11 yuastnav

Why can't we just have something like Quake 3?
A fast, arena-based shooter with no loadouts, no special characters/abilities, no heroes, no bullshit.

Just balanced gameplay, a large array of awesome weapons, fast-paced movement and balanced and well-designed levels.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 27, 2016, 07:06 yuastnav

I thought all modern windows were like this. Huh.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
19. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 14:01 yuastnav

Dacron wrote on May 26, 2016, 13:52:
Has it been confirmed No Mans Sky will be devoid of gameplay/story, or is this all based off speculation and humour?

They won't outright say that the game has no content but they haven't really shown any content in the videos that have been released so far either.

1092 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo