Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 1135 (Pro)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
15. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 18:20 yuastnav

Krovven wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 18:15:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 10:53:
Is there a contract agreement which doesn't allow Kojima to provide that information or is it just better business to create multiple articles which may or may not be credible because it's Kotaku?

What does Kotaku have to do with it? The original story was from The New Yorker and the follow up from Tokyo Sports. Kotaku just reported on in, the same way Blue is doing with this.

If I'm not mistaken some people get their panties in a bunch every time kotaku is mentioned after the whole gamergate debacle sealion show took place. I miss the show. Sea lions are fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
84. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 18:12 yuastnav

WaltC wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 15:35:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:43:
... I've dreamt of what Chris is trying to do since I was a kid but while growing up I realised that this is just not possible, at least not now.

I've dreamed for 25 years of an RPG with incredible depth and attention to detail, complete realism, and a fantastic and fascinating storyline, done with movie-like production values in its graphics & sound presentation--and was about to give it up as a forlorn hope---and then came Witcher 3. CDPR has just raised the RPG bar--the game-development bar--by a huge amount.

Just because someone hasn't done it there's no reason it cannot be done. Amazing feats require will and dedication, and saying "it hasn't been done because it can't be done," is the surest way to fail before you get started. Lots of companies fail for lack of a vision--they quit, just give up and disappear. The developers that don't are the ones we all know and the ones we remember--the ones that succeed. So many people think they know "what it takes" to make a game, but usually, they don't. Every game is different, every team is different, etc. Should the game finish up in the next couple of years and people like it, no one will remember how long it took to make it.

Heck, I thought Valve was done for because I hadn't heard from them for several years and out of the blue up pops HL2. Then Valve goes on to found Steam. All things are possible, pretty much.

Well, to be honest, the game I REALLY wanted was basically something that could simulate the entire universe to the subatomic level... or at least a part, like our galaxy.
But I was a kid back then and when I got older I realised that you do not need that amount of detail. However, it would still be nice to have a game that can simulate hundreds of solar systems with thousands of planets, each with people living on it. Each person is simulated by an ai that is indistinguishable from humans, but you have other players, too. The physics is complex, you can deform the terrain you have endless possibilities of interacting with the world.
But that is not going to happen :p and it would be too complex, too unfocused. Also I'm basically describing the singularity.

It would still be nice to have a complex simulation, like what they originally planned for Star Citizen but even more complex. I just don't see how something like this can work.

56. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 14:21 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:12:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:48:
You weren't impressed by Alpha 2.0? I thought that was a pretty excellent demo of how all the disparate systems will work together, rough patches aside.

I will be mildly impressed as soon as I can play it with dozens (let's say at least 50) of players in the same instance from my computer at home, connected to EU Star Citizen servers (regional servers for alpha were a stretch goal so it's not unrealistic to expect EU AC 2.0 servers) that provide a mostly lag-free experience without any rubberbanding etc.

I will be seriously impressed if I can play this and the whole PU just "happens" around me at the same time in real-time.
But not before that. Demos and trailers don't cut it. Their demos were made under "lab conditions".
They need to show it off in the wild. You know, the whole live specimen in its natural habitat... with laggy connections, players dropping in and out, players with very different hardware specs and a wide range of connection speeds/latencies and all that jazz.

I agree, that sounds like a reasonable request.

38. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:45 yuastnav

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:33:
@yuastnav

Angels Fall First already did all that. Laggy as shit but it works. And they're just a bunch of guys working on it in their spare time.

Of course, but it is instanced, from what I understand.
And, as far as I know, it does not have the amount of detail and destruction that CIG is going for.

It looks interesting though and I'll need to take a look at it. Maybe after I've finished Divinity Original Sin.

37. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:43 yuastnav

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:31:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:22:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:26:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:15:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:12:
Honestly, anyone that tries to argue that this game is a fraud is just a blatant troll at this point.

So you are blatantly trolling for blatant trolls?

No, if I was trolling I'd be making baseless statements only to get a rise out of people. Since I'm actually making an informed opinion about it, at most you can call it a pre-emptive defense against the usual cynicism found here.

I'm just saying that it is technically and physically impossible to do what they want to do. No amount of tweaking and fixing can simulate a world with such a scope in real-time. You could have separate spaces where you do FPS combat and space combat but then you would also need to synchronise these two spaces which would also require a lot of resources.
As far as I know no one has ever mentioned how they are going to do that. Of course that is something that is behind the scenes and doesn't get out to the public but it's difficult to imagine nonetheless that it's going to work.

That's why this whole thing is a bag of dreams and nothing more.

Lol, so we should believe you just because you can't understand how they're doing it, despite the fact they've already demonstrated it LIVE to an actual audience, and despite the fact they have a lot of people who are probably more knowledgeable than anyone here working on it?

Wow, the level of denial here is mind blowing.

I know a bit about complex simulations and I keep up to date concerning modern PC games and what they are able to accomplish with a certain performance at current systems.
Do you not comprehend that there comes a point at which it is just not physically possible to do something? CIG are neither scientists nor researches and they use the methods available to everyone else. They use certain models and algorithms to simulate the game and with how our current CPUs work it's impossible to simulate it to the extent and detail they want it to. I didn't know that they already lowered their expectations. If they do that enough they might be able to do it, with proper optimisations. But not to the extent they originally intended.

Despite the fact that you're ignoring that Star citizen isn't even designed for modern systems, I think you're also greatly exaggerating the difficulty of the problem. There are multiple ways to integrate a simulation involving multiple ship and first person physics, one of which is separate physics instances for the insides of ships and stations, which is what I believe what they're already doing, and what some similar games already do.

That is correct, there are games that already do this. However, I was under the impression that everything happens in one instance simultaneously.

Furthermore the way I understand it is that while ships battle each other in space it is also possible to simultaneously have FPS combat, with the possibility of being able to damage the environment as well as structural damage to the spaceships. Having all that in one single instance would be total overkill. But even if you use separate instances you would need a constant stream of information between these instances if you wanted to simulate everything that is happening to the ships from the outside in the FPS section and vice versa.

You have to also keep in mind that at some point CPUs will not be able to get much faster. Moore's law is already failing and you cannot improve classical transistor chips forever.
What you would need are other ways to build chips, other architectures. That is also why it takes so much computer power to simulate neurological systems. The brain just works in a different manner and adapting that to a binary system leads to a huge power consumption over performance.

You can always simplify a problem, however, you also need to reduce the amount of details. That is why they cannot have a physics engine that simulates all the various details of the ships, all the systems, the destruction for several ships etc.

It would be nice, of course. I've dreamt of what Chris is trying to do since I was a kid but while growing up I realised that this is just not possible, at least not now.

29. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:22 yuastnav

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:26:
Honestly, anyone that tries to argue that this game is a fraud is just a blatant troll at this point.

No, if I was trolling I'd be making baseless statements only to get a rise out of people. Since I'm actually making an informed opinion about it, at most you can call it a pre-emptive defense against the usual cynicism found here.

I'm just saying that it is technically and physically impossible to do what they want to do. No amount of tweaking and fixing can simulate a world with such a scope in real-time. You could have separate spaces where you do FPS combat and space combat but then you would also need to synchronise these two spaces which would also require a lot of resources.
As far as I know no one has ever mentioned how they are going to do that. Of course that is something that is behind the scenes and doesn't get out to the public but it's difficult to imagine nonetheless that it's going to work.

Lol, so we should believe you just because you can't understand how they're doing it, despite the fact they've already demonstrated it LIVE to an actual audience, and despite the fact they have a lot of people who are probably more knowledgeable than anyone here working on it?

Wow, the level of denial here is mind blowing.

I know a bit about complex simulations and I keep up to date concerning modern PC games and what they are able to accomplish with a certain performance at current systems.
Do you not comprehend that there comes a point at which it is just not physically possible to do something? CIG are neither scientists nor researches and they use the methods available to everyone else. They use certain models and algorithms to simulate the game and with how our current CPUs work it's impossible to simulate it to the extent and detail they want it to. I didn't know that they already lowered their expectations. If they do that enough they might be able to do it, with proper optimisations. But not to the extent they originally intended.

16. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:26 yuastnav

News Comments > Infinity: Battlescape Video; Kickstarter Plans
1. Re: Infinity: Battlescape Video; Kickstarter Plans Oct 19, 2015, 11:13 yuastnav

At first I wasn't sure what this was but then I remembered that they had this website, http://www.infinity-universe.com/ (which is now down) almost ten years ago and they were showcasing their engine which had transition from space to planet.
Of course they took their sweet, sweet time (never explained why, this was probably a hobby project?) and since then we've actually had games that can already do that, like Rodina. Doesn't seem that impressive anymore.
I'm not sure whether Infinity really stands out at this point.

News Comments > The Age of Decadence Begins
20. Re: The Age of Decadence Begins Oct 17, 2015, 05:16 yuastnav

I played a standalone version so it's not easy to say but I don't think I've spent more than ten hours. Definitely more than four but less than ten.

Something that really stands out is the lack of side quests. While one might argue that this is the meat of many RPGs and adds to the longevity there isn't really something like that here.
I played a loremaster and I am not going to spoil much but for me it wasn't really clear what the story line was until I've actually finished the game. There are all these character models standing around but they aren't really NPCs because you cannot interact with them and there are only a few characters you can talk to. There are some quests that do not really "follow" the main story line but that's it.
Maybe I've missed something but then again I gathered enough skill points to get to the ending. Or one ending at least.

18. Re: The Age of Decadence Begins Oct 16, 2015, 19:31 yuastnav

Well that was kinda short...  

17. Re: The Age of Decadence Begins Oct 16, 2015, 13:46 yuastnav

So I started this up again. It is actually very fun to play. I've chosen a completely non-violent route so far and it's working pretty well. I wonder what kind of other routes you can go, because I chose a loremaster and what helped me was get most points into loremaster and some points into streetwise, persusasion and trading. Maxxed perception and intelligence and put the rest into charisma while keeping str, dex and con as low as possible.  

14. Re: The Age of Decadence Begins Oct 16, 2015, 06:01 yuastnav

I bought it years and years ago and then it was finally released one or two year ago but I still haven't had time to play the finished version. :/  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Revision Released
4. Re: Deus Ex: Revision Released Oct 14, 2015, 07:13 yuastnav

I was never really into Deus Ex but its theme is probably one of the single greatest musical pieces ever written.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2015, 07:06 yuastnav

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 19:32:
LOL that a law was even in consideration.

I was actually shocked when I found out that such a law might be in consideration.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 12, 2015, 06:31 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 20:43:
PHJF wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 19:55:
what the distance to the sun is

I know this one!

1 AU!

Mhhhh if anything the whole nonsense about AU and what the actual distance is just further proves why digital memory beats meat-brains. Hehe

1 AU is the actual distance.

News Comments > The Crew: Wild Hunt Beta This Month
8. Re: The Crew: Wild Hunt Beta This Month Oct 6, 2015, 04:52 yuastnav

Man, I so wanted to play this game after getting into the open world racer games with Test Drive Unlimited 2. Unfortunately the driving in this game is supposedly really terrible.
And if the thing about terrible wheel support is true... I'm not sure whether I'd buy this game even on sale.

Why is there no Forza Horizon for the PC?

News Comments > Trine 3 OS X & Linux Beta
1. Re: Trine 3 OS X & Linux Beta Oct 5, 2015, 10:43 yuastnav

Already finished Trine 3 on Windows.

It was a good game.

Was glad to see Ari Pulkkinen made the music, however, I had the feeling that a lot of it was reused from the previous games.
Or maybe it just feels that way because I've listened to the soundtrack of the previous games countless times and thus know it very well...

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
24. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 10:40 yuastnav

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:38:
[...]
Why do you assume that CIG is the wrongdoer here? [...]

Because what they want is physically and technically impossible and they are trying to sell a bag of dreams.

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
15. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 2, 2015, 21:54 yuastnav

Real sources or not, I just don't see how they can possibly accomplish what they are trying to do.

I'm not sure it is even physically possible to build a computer that simulates several large ships in every small detail with many players and physics and what not in real time.
As a simulation, sure. As a simulation you can simulate the interaction of sub-atomic particles, which is done in physics with transport simulations, but simulating 100fm/c (~10^-22 seconds) takes hours.
Now this is not the detail they are going for but it's already bad enough if they want deformable and destructible ships with real mechanics etc. How do you even transfer that amount of data over the internet? Because simulating everything locally just begs to be abused.

I mean the idea is great and all but we'd first have to build a new kind of architecture for computers before something like that is even possible.
This has been bugging me for quite some time now.

News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Havoc
9. Re: Microsoft Acquires Havoc Oct 2, 2015, 21:48 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 21:13:
All games that use Havoc will now be XB1 exclusives.

Two years later they'll say that they'll will really try to dedicate themselves to PC gaming for real this time stop laughing.
And they will do this by bringing their hot new HavoX physics engine to the PC. Maybe. We'll see.

1135 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo