Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yuastnav

Real Name yuastnav   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 25, 2010, 15:17
Total Comments 1135 (Pro)
User ID 55800

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Quake Champions Announced
26. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 13, 2016, 15:11 yuastnav

Why can't we just have something like Quake 3?
A fast, arena-based shooter with no loadouts, no special characters/abilities, no heroes, no bullshit.

Just balanced gameplay, a large array of awesome weapons, fast-paced movement and balanced and well-designed levels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 27, 2016, 07:06 yuastnav

I thought all modern windows were like this. Huh.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
19. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 14:01 yuastnav

Dacron wrote on May 26, 2016, 13:52:
Has it been confirmed No Mans Sky will be devoid of gameplay/story, or is this all based off speculation and humour?

They won't outright say that the game has no content but they haven't really shown any content in the videos that have been released so far either.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. May 19, 2016, 14:52 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:46:
yuastnav wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:20:
Task wrote on May 17, 2016, 11:57:
Polygon "can't into Star Fox Zero," as well which was funny since I made my way through it no problem on Wii U.

They also "Can't into semi-realistic Medieval Slavic/Nord" of Witcher 3 when CD Red masterfully adapted the style/setting of the books into full on expanded sequel games, while not shying away or comprising from depicting how Medieval life was + myths done beautifully. Since we don't have time machines, books, games, and art are the window into it, so getting squirmy about it is kinda dumb.

*sigh*
I wish they didn't use the book as a reference for the combat system because it has absolutely nothing to do what we know about how sword fighting was in the renaissance and the middle ages.

No sane human would fight like Geralt because he'd end up with a sword stuck in his back while doing one of his little stupid pirouettes.

I mean, if we want to talk about realism, in fighting and medieval life, shouldn't we question the giant scorpions, the dragons, the magic, and the deserts in Poland?

Yes I see the point but this is one of my personal gripes. You don't need to make super realistic combat, it would be almost impossible and probably boring.
However, the way Geralt moves is just INSULTINGLY stupid. There is almost nothing realistic about magic, however, it's not something that has any connection to reality. But there is swordfighting and of course you need to adapt that to a game because the controls are much more limited. I just can't believe why anyone would ever think that doing a pirouette midfight is anything but moronic.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. May 19, 2016, 09:20 yuastnav

Task wrote on May 17, 2016, 11:57:
Polygon "can't into Star Fox Zero," as well which was funny since I made my way through it no problem on Wii U.

They also "Can't into semi-realistic Medieval Slavic/Nord" of Witcher 3 when CD Red masterfully adapted the style/setting of the books into full on expanded sequel games, while not shying away or comprising from depicting how Medieval life was + myths done beautifully. Since we don't have time machines, books, games, and art are the window into it, so getting squirmy about it is kinda dumb.

*sigh*
I wish they didn't use the book as a reference for the combat system because it has absolutely nothing to do what we know about how sword fighting was in the renaissance and the middle ages.

No sane human would fight like Geralt because he'd end up with a sword stuck in his back while doing one of his little stupid pirouettes.

News Comments > Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Early Access
6. Re: Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Early Access May 19, 2016, 09:16 yuastnav

Never bothered to finish SPAZ1 either. I don't remember what size galaxy I picked but I know that I've stopped playing after a couple of hours because it got really samey.

Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily. I've put 120 hours into Stardew Valley and had a blast, but the combat in SPAZ1 didn't really do it for me. Maybe because I was spoiled by the combat in Starsector, which I'm coming back to every time they release a new major update.

I really hope we won't have to wait for Starsector a lot longer. It will take FractalSoftworks already as much time to finish Starsector as it took MinMax Games to make two.

News Comments > Shadwen Released
1. Re: Shadwen Released May 17, 2016, 15:13 yuastnav

Oh wow that was quick. Seems like yesterday that Trine 3 came out.

Have to definitely check it out, didn't play their demo. Just need to find the time. :/

The Trine games were such a blast.

News Comments > TOXIKK Patch Adds Maps
5. Re: TOXIKK Patch Adds Maps May 17, 2016, 08:56 yuastnav

I'm just waiting for a game that is as fast-paced as Quake2/Quake3CPMA/Warsow.  

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Morning Mobilization May 10, 2016, 04:12 yuastnav

MT Silver wrote on May 9, 2016, 15:09:
[...]
It means you agree with a core tenet of fascism. In my book that makes you a fascist. Maybe you think a person can somehow make up for this character flaw by saying they donate to charity or something but as long as you honestly think censorship is a good thing you will remain a fascist.
[...]

Do you want to know what else is a tenant of fascism? Absolutism.
The extreme belief that something needs to be absolute. Like the absolute belief that anyone should be able to do anything, without restrictions.

It's a slippery slope.

[...]
Yes. Also hypocrites. The less hypocritical countries do not ban Mein Kampf. I could walk down to my local library and pick up a copy if I wanted to. I'd have to endure some awkward looks but nobody would stop me because so far my country hasn't given up on its citizens.
[...]

I'm not sure how you could imply that Germany gave up on its citizens, seeing as how most of them had voted Hitler into power and it would take decades and decades to reeducate people in order show the dangers of fascism.
Though I have to say that it's a bold claim to say that the current German state is a fascist country. That's really not something I've heard before.

[...]
Absolutely. The free exchange of ideas is the foundation of our society. It's the most important thing in the world and I say that with no exaggeration. The thought police must be opposed at all times.
[...]

Well I guess I just don't trust many of my fellow citizens enough to think this is a good idea. Especially when I see how many of them believe in conspiracy theories or that science is bad or that vaccines cause autism.
Nor would I want to have a discussion with someone who thinks that Jews are one of the world's core evils and that they have innate characteristics of being subhuman.

[...]
I don't believe in this notion. It goes against the very idea of democracy. Any idea is worth discussion and everyone must be allowed to make up their own minds on the subject. The response to words you consider dangerous is not silence, it's more words. Oppose it with discussion, debate and protest not threats, bans and censorship.
[...]

No, it goes against the idea of absolute democracy.
The only absolute idea that I would maybe accept is that absolutism is inherently dangerous and should be avoided, regardless of what it is about.
And opposing ideas with more words sometimes outright doesn't work. There are enough people who have a fanatic notion of something that is true, like religion, cults or sometimes even scientists who try to hold on to deprecated ideas. In science, however, these deprecated ideas just die out, which has been described by the philosopher Thomas Kuhn very well.
However, there are still people who believe that the earth is flat and no matter what you say you will not convince them otherwise.

Something like this is sort of innocuous. However, when a political party starts to spread lies about a group of people or an idea or something like that up to the point where a dangerously large part of the population starts to believe in this idea, despite evidence as to the contrary, then I'm not sure that letting them do that freely is the best course of action.

Like I said, I don't think that holding on to an idea in an absolute/extreme fashion is not a good thing, no matter what it is.

News Comments > DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan
23. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 12:50 yuastnav

Slick wrote on May 9, 2016, 12:32:
[...]
Well, I'm really focusing on the term "port". Which is to re-code something for a different platform. I think that the term has been generalized just to mean "inferior dumbed-down console trash". But I have my own theories why more games are like that nowadays compared with the 90's age of gaming.

Games nowadays across the board are more accessible. And there's also 10x more gamers today than there were 10-15 years ago. Not even including mobile... It's not cause consoles destroyed gaming, it's cause developers broadened their target markets, and succeeded wildly at it, if you've looked at the total game industry revenue gains year-on-year for the past 2 decades.

And for anyone that thinks that console games are super casual, and PC is always super elite and difficult. Care to remember the good ol' punishing days of the NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System etc. Where after 3 lives you'd start the whole game over again (the original "permadeath"). Meanwhile on PC you'd be playing through Wolfenstein, DooM, Duke Nukem 3D etc. and be F5 quick saving all the merry live-long way. Actually being able to finish games? Such hand-holdey "consolitis" garbage. Amirite?

I think games in general were more difficult back then. When you made a game with simple mechanics the only way to give it longevity was to make more levels and to increase the difficulty.
Playing something like Doom on the highest difficulty level was not easy.

Nevertheless I still don't like the console-centric nature of many video games. I don't even remember how often I had to endure terrible performance because the people responsible for porting a game were either incompetent or had too little time.
And that's not just the technical aspect. I'm someone who just outright hates controllers. I've had a PC all my life and grew up with a mouse and keyboard, holding a controller is not only uncomfortable and painful after some time I'm also really rubbish. Nevertheless, with quite a few games that I've played, the developers didn't really to manage to properly adapt the control scheme when porting a game to the PC.
The controller, with such a little amount of possible input possibilities, also limits how well you can do certain things. That's why there are so many cover shooters where you have like only two guns, which is just annoying.
I actually did like the multiplayer part of Halo back in the day but I still feel that it would have been a much better game if it was designed for the PC because the mindset would have been different.

News Comments > Stellaris Launches
3. Re: Stellaris Launches May 9, 2016, 12:29 yuastnav

So I'm not really a 4X guy.

But this game looks interesting and rockpapershotgun says it's good.

Please report.

16. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 11:59 yuastnav

Slick wrote on May 9, 2016, 11:47:
[...]
Does it anger you that he's %100 right? "Console port" is a term reserved for modifying, rewriting (porting) code that wasn't designed to run on a PC (x86). Since 2013, Consoles and PCs are both running the same architecture. Does that fact frighten you?

"Waaah, they designed this game to be used with a controller, and not KB/M" is not the same as "Waaah, this game is a stupid console port". If you're going to whine like a bitch, at least get it right. Controllers are a valid input method on PCs as much as KB/M. I know some PC gamers who haven't used KB/M in the last 10 years on PC as they love their controller.

That's what the PC is about, it's an open platform where anything goes. It's a big inclusive tent. Now get the fuck out.

I was not aware that the term "console port" was solely reserved for ports to x86 systems. I mean for me a console port is still a console port, even if the thing is running on x86 architecture. It's still a mostly software and hardware closed system, which a PC usually isn't... with that said I now realise that this would kind of exclude apple laptopt from being PCs, which they actually are. Or should be.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2016, 11:50 yuastnav

Beats me. *shrug*

Well anyway, I was curious whether women take criticism as harassment and so I did a quick google search. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything so I guess I'll still wait for a reply.

What I did find was this "study" by the website PsychTests.com which found that women are better at handling criticism than men. Huh.

Now I do admit that this is not a peer-reviewed publication but like I said: I'm still waiting for those.

1. Re: DOOM @ 200 FPS Under Vulkan May 9, 2016, 10:25 yuastnav

Well, it runs with up to 200 FPS, was more like 120 for the most time, which is still cool. What a shame that this game seems to be terrible. Terrible in the sense that I don't like it because it seems to be slow paced with gigantic gun models and that plastic Doom 3 look.

Buuuut maybe it will be actually good. At least the singleplayer, not gonna touch the multiplayer. We'll see. Hope it will be good.

What I actually really want to see is other developers embrace the Vulkan API because this could lead us away from the Direct3D monopoly. I don't know how easy or how difficult it is to code for it, I just hope that people don't skim over it because it's so low-level.
Would be nice to see more big budget games on Linux, you know.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Morning Mobilization May 9, 2016, 10:18 yuastnav

MT Silver wrote on May 9, 2016, 01:31:
[...]
First of all, unsubstantiated ad hominem attack.
Secondly, Mashiki not wanting to start burning books banning games means only that he has not succumbed to fascism.
People can play whatever they want. Note that the opposition to SJW's aren't campaigning to get walking simulators or twine games banned and removed.

So as soon as you ban something it automatically unequivocally means that you are a fascist?
Is the German Federal Republic fascist because they banned Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf"?

If people can play whatever they want, how far does that overlap into other areas? Can people read what they want, watch what they want, make what they want, do what they want?

Or can people do what they want as long as it does not harm others? What if, for example, someone made a game that would contain propaganda which stated that all red-headed left-handers should die? I don't mean that it would outright say that, but through clever wording and imagery you could get this message across to people. After all people do not always notice when they are being influenced or manipulated.
Which was a similar reasoning for why "Mein Kampf" was banned, for example, for fear of people reading it and agreeing with the Nazi propaganda which could lead them down the road of fascism. Because you cannot trust people, especially when they are uneducated.

So where do we draw the line?

Scud wrote on May 9, 2016, 02:11:
[...]
And another thing kids, Scottish Martial Arts will happily commit acts of murder for fun and profit, it's his inalienable right after all. Sorry Scottie, you don't get to claim the moral high ground just because you find someone else's fictional criminal activities more repulsive than yours. You will be all to eager to join the torch and pitchfork mob when they come for those Japanese rape games today, but tomorrow they'll be coming for your murder simulators.

It all depends on one's psyche. There has been ample evidence that video game violence does not alter people's minds to mimic such behaviour in real life, at least most of the time.
I do not know how that relates to sexual violence, since I can imagine that it also engages other parts of the brain.

The Half Elf wrote on May 9, 2016, 01:09:
[...] This is not opinion it is fact by her own words and how she has and will promote anything that will gain her fame and/or fortune.

I will not go into how something does not necessarily becomes fact, even if someone states them of themselves (e.g. you could be very sure of yourself, yet it turns out not to be the case; just like you can lie to make yourself look good you can also lie to make yourself look bad, for whatever hypothetical reason) but if this is a fact could you please back this up?

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2016, 02:40:
[...]
You seem really upset, so upset that it seems I struck a nerve. You know all those neat studies out there, especially the ones that show women take criticism as harassment, instead of critiques? Seems you've got something in common.
[...]

No but I would like to have a look at these studies, if you could point me to them. If you could do not link me the articles where you found them, sometimes websites or magazines do not provide or obfuscate the source where the actual paper was published and I'm too lazy to track it down, i.e. please link the actual publication.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 9, 2016, 08:06 yuastnav

Meh, over time the human body will probably adapt to that radiation anyway. Though it might take a couple of hundred thousand years. On the other hand, I'm a physicist, so what do I know about a biology.  

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2016, 07:21 yuastnav

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2016, 11:49:
[...]
Gotcha. So when a reviewer give a game a low score because it disagrees with their identity politics because there's sexy women or has water or doesn't include xyz group or includes adult themes it's okay. Even though the game is a technical and artistic masterpiece and people agree that it's a really good game, and people should buy it. And that the game has received dozens if not hundreds of awards for being a really good game. But calling it for what it is, is bad.
[...]

Of course it's fucking okay. A review is an opinion. Someone plays a game and then writes an article about what he thought about this game. Where is the problem?

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2016, 11:49:
[...]
If a reviewer is willing to shit on a game because of their identity politics, they'll have no problems shilling out if a company lavishes them with goodies or free shit.

Alright, so how exactly did you deduce one from the other? I really don't see the connection so I'd ask you to provide at least a little proof for your hypothesis.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 8, 2016, 01:03:
[...]
So now you're saying that it's okay if they want to pander to their politics, and not weight a game objectively, [...]

What about a review is not subjective? A review is an opinion. People like to throw the word "objective" around as if it was meaningful. Nothing about a review can ever be objective. Hell, even if you say that a game is objectively bad because it's running at 5 fps you might find someone who really digs a low framerate or just doesn't care. Everything is subjective. There are just some things that you like and others that you don't like; so the former are objective and the latter subjective.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 in November
19. Re: Dishonored 2 in November May 4, 2016, 07:10 yuastnav

VaranDragon wrote on May 4, 2016, 04:03:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on May 4, 2016, 01:35:
Cutter wrote on May 3, 2016, 22:55:
Enh, I was pretty meh about the first one. Just didn't grab me at all. If I get this it'll be on a deep discount.

You lead a miserable, joyless life. What do you like?

Some people just don't like Steampunk. Not that Cutter likes anything, but that was the problem in my case. A single player FPS Steam-punk game ala Thief, but not as good as Thief, was not really something that attracted me too much. I skipped it as a result, despite a lot of my friends playing and loving the game. Not my cup of Tea. Peace out.

Heh, I absolutely cannot stand the sight of steampunk but I loved Dishonoured to bits. It wasn't really in your face or maybe I just ignored it. I actually never thought about it as a steampunk game because when I think of steampunk I think of useless gears etc.

Really looking forward to Dishonoured 2.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed
28. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced; CoD4 Remaster Confirmed May 2, 2016, 15:39 yuastnav

Yeah, with what is currently thrown on the market I doubt we'll see another Jedi Knight game again.

Another problem is also the engine. They did a really good job with the Quake engine so making another engine that can simulate lightsaber fights is going to be difficult.

News Comments > DOOM Single-Player Video
42. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 10:51 yuastnav

Within the first 15 seconds of watching some gameplay the following questions immediately popped up in my head.

Why is the gun so big?
Why is the crosshair so big?
Why is the FOV so small?
Why are there railings everywhere, where are the walls?
Why is this game so slow?
Why are there executions?
Why do the graphics look so boring and why does everything look like plastic? Hell, why does this game look like Doom 3 on a console?

Surely this is not a Doom game. This has to be a fucking joke.

1135 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo