Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MajorDICK

Real Name MajorDICK   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MajorD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 20, 2010, 17:07
Total Comments 2237 (Senior)
User ID 55780

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 19:13 MajorD

Jivaro wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 15:30:
MajorD wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 15:00:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is on a Steam sale again for $15.00USD.

I loved HR, but I haven't pulled the trigger on MD yet. Is it worth $15.00?

Yeah, I think so. I paid full price for it and don't feel cheated at all. I wouldn't rank it as high as HR but it was a solid entry in the series.

It's only an opinion of course but I would say that for most people that aren't hardcore fans of the series that if you can get it for $20 or less you can't really go wrong.

Cool, thanks much for the feedback.

Still counting...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > QUAKE Development History Dispute
18. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 16:57 MajorD

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 16:21:
Flatline wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 15:48:
This post makes me wonder if you were gaming in the 90's. Doom and Quake's graphics were leaps forward.

They were but art direction mattered, doom's single player is still better than quakes. This is why doom has a bigger modding community, it's overall the better single player game. Quake's multiplayer is really only remembered because it was largely the only game in town that could to IP networking and was many gamers first multiplayer internet game.

Quake 1 + 2 had shitty SP campaigns, they were never good. Doom was overall the better single player experience, everyone knew quake 4 single player was a fucking disaster.

iD software always sucked at doing SP campaigns largely, they were hit and miss, guys like romero really saved doom 2, without the original team single player suffered in quake 1 and 2. Doom was the more fun game which is why it has such a huge modding community.

Quake 3 and unreal were mostly arbitarily different, and Quake 3 was finally surpassed in terms of fun by UT2004.

So UT2004 remains the high watermark of 90's fps design.

Single player first person shooter campaign design was finding its legs with FEAR and other games until the guys at infinity nailed it with Call of duty 4 and the set piece cinematic game formula was nailed down.

....and it was Half-Life that set the bar high in terms of a story driven SP campaign.

Still counting...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 15:00 MajorD

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is on a Steam sale again for $15.00USD.

I loved HR, but I haven't pulled the trigger on MD yet. Is it worth $15.00?

Still counting...

13. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 13:44 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 13:37:
Bitchfight!

Popcorn

Do you think John Romero will make Tim Willits his BITCH?!

Still counting...

7. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 11:06 MajorD

If you haven't read 'Masters of DOOM', it is worth checking out. It is a quick and easy read.

And Tim Willits is a Blowhard ASS Clown!

Still counting...

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches
3. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches Aug 29, 2017, 20:24 MajorD

Tavil wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:15:
Horrible. The game is poorly optimized and has tons of bugs that they've never bothered to fix. Just terrible devs all around.

Yeah, any dev that releases priced DLC for an early access game tells you a lot about them.

Still counting...

News Comments > Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta
12. Re: Re: Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta Aug 29, 2017, 19:07 MajorD

Rigs wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:31:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:39:
But did anyone else notice this credit system?

Yeah, how is this 'free' when you have to have 'credits'? Obviously, you'll have to 'buy' credits, which doesn't make it 'free'. Or am I reading this wrong? I can't find anything that tells it straight...

=-Rigs-=

@Half Elf & Rigs: This was my initial question as well. You know all this is calculated at some monetized level or another, and it will eventually rear its ugly head.

Still counting...

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 26, 2017, 13:56 MajorD

Amazon lost money for years on a gamble that continues to pay for itself. This recent acquisition isn't too different.

Still counting...

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
2. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 10:14 MajorD

Valve just lost their passion for writing/making great games. All they care about now is DOTA and their cash cow Steam.

Still counting...

9. Re: Original DOOM 5.25" Master Disks. Aug 18, 2017, 14:53 MajorD

Huh, these are rare. And here I thought I was cool because I had the original 3.5" diskettes.

I have Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Doom, Doom II, Heretic, and Hexen all in original boxes, with manuals, registration cards, etc.; all with 3.5" diskettes. It wasn't until Duke Nukem 3D they transitioned to CD-ROMs.

Now, at the point in time with digital down loads, AAA games on DVDs is becoming scarce.

Still counting...

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
31. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 14:07 MajorD

El Pit wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 11:20:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 11:13:
On a positive note, I just picked up Prey 2017 for thirty bucks. Holy shit it's totally worth it.

Prey 17 is on my wish list, but I have tooooo many games I already own and that I want to play. But I guess at $20 I will bite anyway.

Yeah, tell me about it. I had to set a rule for myself; I can only purchase a new game (on sale or not) if/when I play two unplayed games in Steam Library.

Still counting...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2017, 18:04 MajorD

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 14:58:
MajorD you just need to break down those barriers you put up.

If it makes it better, think of it as a competition and at that time things work better in our heads. All the same otherwise, tripping up on a word.

I know when I played games at a competitive level locally, things got mighty intense. More like a race driver feel than a football one.

Horroscope, I have no barriers to break down on my side. If you want to call me defending the definition of "sport" a barrier, then I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

Additionally, as Nucas pointed out, cyberathlete. I forgot about that one, which also defies the true definition of an "Athlete".

Definitions from the dictionary:

Sport:

noun

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Athlete

noun

A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

Again, I agree with you that video game matches can be very competitive and intense, especially organized ones that have a lot of visibility, but they're not a sport.

Still counting...

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2017, 14:28 MajorD

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 13:27:
Their is physicalness in it, depends on the scale you use. Skill, certainly at that level. It is competition by who we know are the best at something in the world. AKA they'd cream you if you challenged them.

I was on a station and later in the background it broke into e-sports on tv. I kept a little track of it, it wasn't bad at all. Not saying it will be something I'd follow, but it wasn't something terribad. I mean we've all seen some of the things on the tube right?

Agreed, no doubt I'd get owned by some skilled pro gamer, but I'd also have my ass handed to me going up against someone in a real/true "sport" like college and/or pro basketball, football, soccer, etc.

But a "sport" is an activity involving physical laborious exertion and skill, but moving around and clicking mouse and pressing keys on a keyboard doesn't involve physical laborious "exertion".

Still counting...

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2017, 11:00 MajorD

Rolleyes

Definition of Sport:

NOUN

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:
"team sports such as baseball and soccer" ∑
synonyms: physical recreation ∑ physical activity ∑ physical exercise ∑ athletics ∑ pastime

Call it an eSport all you want, playing an F'ing video game is not a sport!!! How about vGaming?!

Still counting...

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Videos
4. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Videos Aug 2, 2017, 11:28 MajorD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 2, 2017, 06:52:
Well, I'm definitely interested in the game, but what the hell is this thing game companies are doing now, spoiling their own games? Who do they think they are, the movie trailer industry?

*Not watching the videos, obviously.

I'm with you on that. I don't want to know anything about the game going into it.

Still counting...

News Comments > BioShock Remastered macOS Plans
1. Re: BioShock Remastered macOS Plans Aug 2, 2017, 11:24 MajorD

Wasn't the windows release of this uninspired and a flop?

Still counting...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2017, 16:35 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 16:06:
Manís quest for bigger penis turns deadly.

I'm sure you all are swollen and bursting with puns about this story. So let's have them before you explode.

Whata DICK!

Still counting...

News Comments > ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed
5. Re: ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 12:11 MajorD

Rhett wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 11:51:
Oh, don't worry.. they'll find a way to shame themselves in the future. Bad enough there's already two ARK-esque clones (Dark and Light + The Citadel, I think it's called, made by the Chinese company the bought the studio - Snail Games or something). Dark and Light was half-made by the Wildcard devs too, and uses a lot of the same or similar assets, sounds, UI, etc. Slightly different game, more of an MMO feel, but yeah.

Pretty mucky.

Wow, much sleazier than I knew. Glad I had zero interest in ARK.....

Still counting...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Honolulu targets 'smartphone zombies' with crosswalk ban. Jul 31, 2017, 11:44 MajorD

Unbelievable, now they have to pass legislation to protect idiots that canít stop looking at their cellphones while crossing the street.

It's scary to think where our society will be in 50 years.....

Still counting...

News Comments > ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed
2. Re: ARK Gold; Full Release Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 11:36 MajorD

What, not another shameful charged DLC release while it was still in Early Access?

Still counting...

2237 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo