Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MajorDICK

Real Name MajorDICK   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MajorD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 20, 2010, 17:07
Total Comments 2253 (Senior)
User ID 55780

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2017, 11:51 MajorD

I really liked both seasons of True Detective, but S1 was certainly better. Here's hoping S3 is popular enough to keep the series going.

Thanks Blue for re-re-re-re-affirming the plan for a Deadwood movie and keeping that dream alive.

I'm ready for S2 of Westworld, but it is still a bit of a wait (2018).

Still counting...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Over a million Americans quit Twitter in just three months. Jul 27, 2017, 11:45 MajorD

The only usefulness/advantage of Twitter that I have found is if a particular website is down, it would redirect you to a substitute page on twitter.com/ where it would have status information on the reason it was down and the anticipated time until it was backup. I didn't come across this very often, but when I did, it was certainly informative. Other than that Twitter is a TWOT!

Still counting...

News Comments > Crisis Action VR Early Access
2. Re: Crisis Action VR Early Access Jul 25, 2017, 12:54 MajorD

WEAK!

Still counting...

1. Re: The Deadwood Movie Takes Another Step Toward Actually Happening Jul 21, 2017, 10:15 MajorD

Keeping the hope alive one-click bait at a time......

Still counting...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Official Trailer For Netflix's Bright Jul 21, 2017, 10:08 MajorD

Other than the silly opening scene, it looks like it could be pretty good and worth giving a try.

Still counting...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 13:21 MajorD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 12:02:
MajorD wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:42:
It may be decades away, but it is better to act/regulate sooner than later in lieu of just marveling at our own advances, and then act when it may be too late.
Maybe. Personally I'd expect any kind of "true AI" will be accidental/unplanned. I find the idea put forward in Dan Simmons' Hyperion series compelling. AI developing pretty much on it's own within our cyber space. Growing from simply understood 80 byte code segments to super intelligences without any human interaction.

Even if it was the result of carefully quarantined experiments, one mistake -- and it would be out. Humans tend to make mistakes fairly often....

Yeah, that's the scary part; if we develop AI to the level that it can/will advance to super intelligence levels beyond our control and comprehension. That is why I personally feel we have to do everything we can to regulate/monitor it as best as possible sooner than later; however, any effort may eventually be futile though......

Not familiar with Dan Simmons' Hyperion series, but you've peaked my curiosity to check it out.

Still counting...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 11:42 MajorD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 10:29:
Musk needs better medication. At best (worst?) we are many decades from the kind of AI which could/would be a danger to humanity. And frankly, even if it did cause some type of confrontation between AI and humanity, I'm sorry I won't live to see it.

It may be decades away, but it is better to act/regulate sooner than later in lieu of just marveling at our own advances, and then act when it may be too late.

Still counting...

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial
4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 11:37 MajorD

Bored Sleeping

Still counting...

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jul 11, 2017, 12:55 MajorD

I don't know the inside scoop of what happened with Dean Hall, why he left Bohemia Interactive before DayZ was complete, but he did create a great mod/concept that a lot of developers have replicated in one form or another.

Regardless of any of that, he is right. First of all, these pricks (Studio Wildcard) had the audacity to release and charge for DLC for a game that is still in 'Early Access', and now they raise their pricing to the level of a shipped AAA title? Its difficult to argue his point whether or not you like him or his history.

Still counting...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:48 MajorD

BobBob wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 10:28:
While purchasing property and dealing with Realtors, bankers, remodelers, etc. I've noticed something I am not happy with. Either I'm getting older and less patient or there is a growing narcissistic trend of people talking continuously without pause and not allowing the other person respond.

It's both, but the latter more so, and you can thank social anti-social media (Facebook, Google+, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Myspace, Pinterest, and Tumblr, etc.) for that, as it has generated an absurd level of narcissism and a self-obsessed society. Quite sad really....

Still counting...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 6, 2017, 14:27 MajorD

Congrats John!

Still counting...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: We desperately need a way to defend against online propaganda. Jun 26, 2017, 21:03 MajorD

DUH, ya think? It has been progressively becoming worse, and we've all been victims of it one way or another. It is a serious issue that does certainly need to be addressed.

There's an old saying, :Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see" EAP I think......Heck, I think it is way less than half now.

Still counting...

News Comments > Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up
1. Re: Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up Jun 26, 2017, 10:17 MajorD

They say it the loan is just some publicity wizardry to avoid losing money on even more international credibility currency conversion.

Fixed that....

Still counting...

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Launches
25. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 22, 2017, 16:53 MajorD

There are some nice discounts on several games in wish list, but I'm not gonna fall for a banana in the tailpipe trick again, and buy more games that I really don't need until I play/finish the ones I purchased from the previous two Steam Sales (Summer & Fall of 2016).

Tempting, but NOPE! not gonna do it......walking away......looks back over shoulder......NOPE....runs away.............................

Still counting...

News Comments > John Guthrie Leaves Valve?
13. Re: John Guthrie Leaves Valve? Jun 17, 2017, 12:22 MajorD

@Dev: True, good point(s).

@RedEye9: Good/funny videos. Sad but true......

But heck, maybe we'll all be surprised when they announce Half Life 3, Portal 3, and Left 4 Dead Again!

Still counting...

News Comments > John Guthrie Leaves Valve?
10. Re: John Guthrie Leaves Valve? Jun 17, 2017, 11:17 MajorD

Hmmmmmm, this exodus has me wondering two things:

1) They've wrapped up the writing, design, etc. of some major forthcoming titles, and from there Valve will just concentrate on the cash cow (Steam) and no longer develop games.

- or -

2) Valve decided to quietly walk away from developing/releasing games and let the cash cow (Steam) roll in the money, which forced all these talented people to say, "F this, if you're not in the business of making great games anymore, we're out of here!"

Sad, I wonder if 'The Freeman' will ever show his face again.

Still counting...

News Comments > Dying Light's Year+ Free DLC Deluge
4. Re: Dying Light's Year+ Free DLC Deluge Jun 15, 2017, 21:11 MajorD

Best FPS Campaign CoOp game ever made! It is better to play the campaign with 1 to 3 other people, as Techland did a great job coordinating that. Other developers should go to school on it.

The wearing out of melee weapons didn't bother me, as there are so many different ones to pick up, along with scrap materials to repair them with.

Still counting...

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer
5. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer Jun 15, 2017, 12:26 MajorD

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 12:23:
MajorD wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 12:15:

@eRe4s3r: May have been a temporary glitch in the matrix for you at the time, as I just watched the embedded video.

Nope, definitely region locked ;( And I tried with various anti-region lock sites too.. nothing. In fact ALL Bethesda videos (literally, all of them from their youtube channel) don't work for me.

ERRRRR, well that has got to be frustrating. :-(

Still counting...

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer
3. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer Jun 15, 2017, 12:15 MajorD

So glad Machine Games is developing this series again, as they did such a great job rebooting the series with NO and OB, despite having to use/work with the idTech5 engine......

@eRe4s3r: May have been a temporary glitch in the matrix for you at the time, as I just watched the embedded video.

Still counting...

News Comments > DOOM VFR Announced
24. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 20:39 MajorD

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 14:56:
MajorD wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:06:
Fallout VR.....not really liking the first person presence, especially with weapons (especially hand guns) floating in mid air....look too wonky to me. I'll stick to my 28" monitor thank you very much.

Floating guns look weird when you're not in VR. When they move with your hands, your brain immediately accepts it. Also, Raw Data does the "hands and arms" thing and it screws up enough that it's far more distracting than just having the guns floating.

Seriously, BEFORE saying something looks wrong or cheap in VR, how about you actually try it first? You need to give it a good hour's worth of goofing around in it, and THEN ask what few questions you have left. To those of us with VR gear, the CONSTANT asking of questions that are instantly answered by USING VR feels like having to describe every component of a casserole to a picky 5 year old. Just fucking try it, shut your mouth and TRY IT.

Easy there tiger, I said it looked 'wonky' to me, not wrong or cheap. But, now that I've read your post, and others, explaining why it looks that way, it makes sense. So, I'll have to demo some VR goggles to get the true visual experience.

Still counting...

2253 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo