Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 167 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 20, 2015, 21:41 Genesys

Dentorro wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 20:28:
shit happens, or in this case a typo, nothing to see really, must be a slow newsweek.
Then again, why isn't the user's MAC address data automatically synchronized between the authentication and usage databases? Is Comcast saying that someone is actually manually entering this data in when a customer is onboarded?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
4. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Dec 17, 2015, 20:41 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 20:04:
Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 19:59:
While being the biggest AMD whiner here, I'm loathe to hit that 'Update' button...at least until some other guinea pig tries them first. I have my system set just right and a bad driver update is gonna fuck with my OCD...
I just did and it says everything is up to date. So it's not updating yet for whatever reason.
I think all they did was "promote" the beta drivers they had previously released to fix the fan-speed issue. That link says the download contains "AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 Driver version 15.30.1025.1001", which is the same version listed on my Update tab as the currently installed version. Also, the "Resolved Issues" list is almost identical compared to the beta release:

November-30-hotfix.aspx
AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-15.12.aspx

Edit: bah, I didn't read the whole page. It explicitly says so :

Highlights of AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

This release provides users with a Microsoft WHQL certified version of the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update driver.

News Comments > Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced
12. Re: Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced Dec 6, 2015, 21:09 Genesys

Tyrric wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 20:38:
I'll probably grab Full Throttle when has a sale on Steam. I played it when it came out, and from what I remember it was not very long, but at the right price I'll be willing to relive the nostalgia.

I bet it's longer than you remember I replayed it about 5 years ago, I think, and I must not have completed it when I first got it, because there was a lot more than I remembered, and there were some really hard/annoying puzzles in it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Amazing time-lapse of the disassembly of an entire U-2 plane. Dec 6, 2015, 15:47 Genesys

I like the one from Lord of War better :)  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2015, 20:12 Genesys

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 13:11:
I'm going to transition entirely to SSDs as soon as I can. I've had too many HDDs fail for me to even consider them viable for long-term storage.
SSD's fail too, of course. You should RAID everything, or at least make backups. SSDs still aren't price-competitive for archival storage, though. I can easily buy two $150 4TB HDDs and mirror them in any PC ($300 total). You can't even buy 4TB SSDs, so you'd have to buy 3 $700 2TB SSDs ($2100 total) and build a RAID-5 array out of them to get the same space and redundancy. Sure, it'll fly like the wind, but I don't need fast random I/O for my desktop backups and DVD rips.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2015, 19:09 Genesys

1badmf wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 23:52:
Genesys wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 19:06:
Jamil20 wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 14:56:
The Expanse looks interesting.

Full episode on youtube:
https://youtu.be/FvZeQD1Vf2s
I've almost finished reading the Expanse series of novels. I'm not sure SyFy can do it justice, but if they can keep the show going until the Ring Station is discovered, they could turn it into another Stargate franchise.

i hope it's better than that. stargate was mildly entertaining at best. if there's a scifi series it should aspire to, it should try to be babylon 5.

I was thinking less about show quality and more about longevity and spinoff possibilities. After having watched the episode, the quality's there. Nice zero-g scenes, and the stretched Belters look good. They got Miller's character perfect, I think. I'll probably grow on Holden and Naomi, but Alex and Amos don't match the mental pictures I have of them. Didn't see enough of Havelock to make a decision, and I don't think I heard Avasalara swear once. Something's wrong there

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2015, 19:06 Genesys

Jamil20 wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 14:56:
The Expanse looks interesting.

Full episode on youtube:
https://youtu.be/FvZeQD1Vf2s
I've almost finished reading the Expanse series of novels. I'm not sure SyFy can do it justice, but if they can keep the show going until the Ring Station is discovered, they could turn it into another Stargate franchise.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Inventory Security
2. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Inventory Security Nov 26, 2015, 01:06 Genesys

jimnms wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 00:35:
From the Steam news thing I saw earlier, I thought this is for all trades. I don't own a smart phone nor do I want one.
If they do end up making it mandatory, you can use WinAuth on your PC; their latest version added Steam Authenticator support.

News Comments > Steam Survey Shows Win10 Advances
7. Re: Steam Survey Shows Win10 Advances Nov 5, 2015, 22:55 Genesys

saluk wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 13:04:
WTF why is the 32-bit version having any kind of increase, and on steam no less. It shouldn't even exist.

Any system being auto-upgraded from 32-bit windows 7/8 will get a 32-bit windows 10, I think. There are probably quite a lot of old 32-bit windows 7 systems, and there are a lot of new low-end (2gb ram) Windows tablets that come with 32-bit windows 8.1.

15. Re: Just killed my WLAN and I hate physics Oct 23, 2015, 20:02 Genesys

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:23:
I must have skipped the part in my physics education where electromagnetic fields could influence radio waves.... fucking advanced technology.. it really is like voodoo magic.. and if it breaks you really need a Shaman nowadays.. man
I think you missed the part in your physics education that said that radio waves ARE elctromagnetec fields! :)

USB 3.0's 5 Ghz signal rate, in particular, will interfere with bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz wifi signals: USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices Make sure you buy USB hubs with fully-shielded plugs, and see if you can get an external antenna for your NUC.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: FCC hopes to shut down robocallers by publishing numbers weekly. Oct 22, 2015, 20:25 Genesys

Won't help, since they spoof the calling number. Yesterday I got a robocall on my cellphone, that promised me a great rate on a new credit card. The Caller-ID reported the same area code and extension as my own number; only the last 4 digits differed.

News Comments > Dead Star Revealed
1. Re: Dead Star Revealed Oct 5, 2015, 20:59 Genesys

I only see downsides to procedurally-generated multiplayer maps. Their randomness is probably going to mean boring levels most of the time, unplayable ones other times, and the rare good maps you can only play once! Good maps are hard to build even with a person as the designer.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Comcast raises prices just as CEO says “you can’t raise the price forever.” Sep 17, 2015, 20:15 Genesys

What're you going to do? Switch to U-Verse? hahaha

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 15, 2015, 20:28 Genesys

Heh. My folder for those is called "Useless Builtins"  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 13, 2015, 12:31 Genesys

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 11:37:
SSDs will never match the per-gigabyte cost of HDDs...because we are working hard to stop that from happening.
Well, Seagate doesn't own a NAND fab, so of course they're not going to be pushing SSDs... But, the market for high-capacity hard drives is probably pretty small compared to that for SSDs, so I'm sure they'll get into the flash game at some point.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2015, 20:49 Genesys

Xylemon wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 15:26:
I hope SeaMonkey doesn't remove XPI addon support, like now insane company Mozilla is doing. I want a browser, not some shit Chrome clone.
The Seamonkey project is handled by a very small team of volunteers that don't have enough time as it is; whenever the Mozilla Project adds/removes a major feature, the Seamonkey maintainers have to decide whether they can handle the load of importing it or maintaining it themselves. If keeping XPIs means reworking a huge amount of it to support Electrolysis (the codename for multi-process Firefox), assuming they can import e10s itself, then they probably won't be able to keep it. My hope is that there be such massive pushback from users and addon developers that Mozilla will keep XPI support around for a good long time.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 21:21 Genesys

mag wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 19:15:
NKD wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 18:04:
Really puts Steam in perspective. Only around 1.3 million Steam users buy a significant number of games, and to be a member of the top 20%, you only need to own four games.

80-90% of Steam users may as well not exist for how little they participate in the PC gaming market. I never would have guessed those numbers.
Yeah this is again an eye opener... it still baffles the mind why Steam didn't make this public themselves.
It baffles you as to why Steam would keep it private that less than 1/5 of its userbase actually buys games? They want people to think they have 10M customers.
I'm probably missing something somewhere... Manually totaling the Peak counts of the top 100 games on Steam's stats page gives me ~2.7M users. Are most of these people playing the only Steam game they own? Does that make sense?

And holy cow DOTA 2 has a lot of active players.

News Comments > The Cat Machine Released
3. Re: The Cat Machine Released Aug 13, 2015, 20:35 Genesys

Shades of SpaceChem? That got annoying for me too fast; too much like real programming, but this might be nicer. And cats!  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2015, 20:25 Genesys

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:14:
Shineyguy wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:10:
nin wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:04:
Happy International Lefthanders Day!
Woot woot! I can't wait to write something down today and then smudge the ink with my hand!
An unfortunate daily occurrence for us left handers...
The worst for me is greeting cards, as the ink doesn't absorb into the thicker paper as fast, pretty much ensuring whatever I wrote comes off looking a mess...
So, we're all lefties in here, then? :) Not a total solution, but more fluid inks, like those in uni-ball or gel pens, absorb faster than regular ink and help a lot. Worst for me is whiteboards...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 12, 2015, 20:50 Genesys

Quboid wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 18:13:
The weird thing about Windows 10 is how hard it is to tell which window is the active one. You'd think that they'd have this nailed down by now.
Yes, that's a pain. You will be wanting this tool: Aero Glass for Windows 8.x+   They don't have a stable windows 10 release out yet, but it's really close.

167 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo