Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 176 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 12:10 Genesys

Pigeon wrote on Mar 26, 2016, 11:54:
The only "problem", is the secure page icon by the address bar has a little notification saying "Parts of this page are not secure (such as images)"., when I click on it. It's a problem in that it exists, but seemingly effects nothing. I assume it working as intended.

Using firefox 45.01
It looks like Amazon's got a problem with their Associate links. The iframes get loaded securely with src="//rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/..." urls, which inherit the "https" prefix if the originating site used it. Unfortunately, the served content has hardcoded http:// links to the clickable images, and that triggers the warning.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 11:16 Genesys

But now the NSA will have no idea how many times I refresh BluesNews every day. You do know "Going Dark" just helps the terrorists? Think of the children!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2016, 19:04 Genesys

Yes, Netflix would have gotten a lot better press coverage on this if they had put up a dialog box that said "We see you're on a mobile network that charges if you exceed your usage cap. The movie you're about to watch is 6 GB at high quality and 0.6 GB at medium quality. Would you like to default to medium quality?"

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2016, 20:13 Genesys

Shok wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 16:38:
I use the lux app on my android phone and tablet, mainly to save battery. The only issue is there are a few apps that won't respond to touch input unless lux is turned off.
Try the f.lux beta app that just came out. I haven't had any problems with it on my Kindle Fire tablet (you need root), and it beats the pants off the horrible Night Shift color overlay built into the Kindles.

News Comments > The Long Journey Home This Year
2. Re: The Long Journey Home This Year Mar 17, 2016, 00:12 Genesys

Completely procedurally-generated games are best when they're small (i.e. one playthrough takes a couple of hours), and the variations are large but you only see a few of them in a single playthrough. That's where you get replayability.

I think procedural generation in large games is best used to replace what you might have an art intern do - building a coastline, laying down ten thousand trees, etc. But it should be as a base layer that gets "curated" by a human later. Sure, procedurally-generate a galaxy, but do it /once/, then let the devs or art people find some really interesting solar systems, and point your quest chains there instead of letting us wander over a zillion boring planets with Radiant quests on each one.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 29, 2016, 00:19 Genesys

Interesting. Looks like it's got a Secrets of Raetikon style, which had nice visuals but was sort of frustrating to play.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2016, 23:31 Genesys

LittleMe wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 14:13:
When our country is dependent on foreigners to buy up our debt, this is the inevitable consequence. They will buy us out. We exported most of our manufacturing industry abroad in exchange for cheap goods and easy money. This is the result of our failed centrally planned easy money policies by the Fed.
"Our country" being Norway of course, since that's where Opera is based?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 3, 2016, 20:19 Genesys

no Tall Man, no buy.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2016, 23:12 Genesys

F.lux works great, so if Apple has copied that, I'll be happy. Amazon's "Blue Shade" implementation on the Fire tables is horrible, though. It makes the whole screen glow orange and reduces contrast by a large margin.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 20, 2015, 21:41 Genesys

Dentorro wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 20:28:
shit happens, or in this case a typo, nothing to see really, must be a slow newsweek.
Then again, why isn't the user's MAC address data automatically synchronized between the authentication and usage databases? Is Comcast saying that someone is actually manually entering this data in when a customer is onboarded?

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
4. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Dec 17, 2015, 20:41 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 20:04:
Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 19:59:
While being the biggest AMD whiner here, I'm loathe to hit that 'Update' button...at least until some other guinea pig tries them first. I have my system set just right and a bad driver update is gonna fuck with my OCD...
I just did and it says everything is up to date. So it's not updating yet for whatever reason.
I think all they did was "promote" the beta drivers they had previously released to fix the fan-speed issue. That link says the download contains "AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 Driver version 15.30.1025.1001", which is the same version listed on my Update tab as the currently installed version. Also, the "Resolved Issues" list is almost identical compared to the beta release:

November-30-hotfix.aspx
AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-15.12.aspx

Edit: bah, I didn't read the whole page. It explicitly says so :

Highlights of AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

This release provides users with a Microsoft WHQL certified version of the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update driver.

News Comments > Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced
12. Re: Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced Dec 6, 2015, 21:09 Genesys

Tyrric wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 20:38:
I'll probably grab Full Throttle when has a sale on Steam. I played it when it came out, and from what I remember it was not very long, but at the right price I'll be willing to relive the nostalgia.

I bet it's longer than you remember I replayed it about 5 years ago, I think, and I must not have completed it when I first got it, because there was a lot more than I remembered, and there were some really hard/annoying puzzles in it.

1. Re: Amazing time-lapse of the disassembly of an entire U-2 plane. Dec 6, 2015, 15:47 Genesys

I like the one from Lord of War better :)  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2015, 20:12 Genesys

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 13:11:
I'm going to transition entirely to SSDs as soon as I can. I've had too many HDDs fail for me to even consider them viable for long-term storage.
SSD's fail too, of course. You should RAID everything, or at least make backups. SSDs still aren't price-competitive for archival storage, though. I can easily buy two $150 4TB HDDs and mirror them in any PC ($300 total). You can't even buy 4TB SSDs, so you'd have to buy 3 $700 2TB SSDs ($2100 total) and build a RAID-5 array out of them to get the same space and redundancy. Sure, it'll fly like the wind, but I don't need fast random I/O for my desktop backups and DVD rips.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2015, 19:09 Genesys

1badmf wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 23:52:
Genesys wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 19:06:
Jamil20 wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 14:56:
The Expanse looks interesting.

Full episode on youtube:
https://youtu.be/FvZeQD1Vf2s
I've almost finished reading the Expanse series of novels. I'm not sure SyFy can do it justice, but if they can keep the show going until the Ring Station is discovered, they could turn it into another Stargate franchise.

i hope it's better than that. stargate was mildly entertaining at best. if there's a scifi series it should aspire to, it should try to be babylon 5.

I was thinking less about show quality and more about longevity and spinoff possibilities. After having watched the episode, the quality's there. Nice zero-g scenes, and the stretched Belters look good. They got Miller's character perfect, I think. I'll probably grow on Holden and Naomi, but Alex and Amos don't match the mental pictures I have of them. Didn't see enough of Havelock to make a decision, and I don't think I heard Avasalara swear once. Something's wrong there

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2015, 19:06 Genesys

Jamil20 wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 14:56:
The Expanse looks interesting.

Full episode on youtube:
https://youtu.be/FvZeQD1Vf2s
I've almost finished reading the Expanse series of novels. I'm not sure SyFy can do it justice, but if they can keep the show going until the Ring Station is discovered, they could turn it into another Stargate franchise.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Inventory Security
2. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Inventory Security Nov 26, 2015, 01:06 Genesys

jimnms wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 00:35:
From the Steam news thing I saw earlier, I thought this is for all trades. I don't own a smart phone nor do I want one.
If they do end up making it mandatory, you can use WinAuth on your PC; their latest version added Steam Authenticator support.

News Comments > Steam Survey Shows Win10 Advances
7. Re: Steam Survey Shows Win10 Advances Nov 5, 2015, 22:55 Genesys

saluk wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 13:04:
WTF why is the 32-bit version having any kind of increase, and on steam no less. It shouldn't even exist.

Any system being auto-upgraded from 32-bit windows 7/8 will get a 32-bit windows 10, I think. There are probably quite a lot of old 32-bit windows 7 systems, and there are a lot of new low-end (2gb ram) Windows tablets that come with 32-bit windows 8.1.

15. Re: Just killed my WLAN and I hate physics Oct 23, 2015, 20:02 Genesys

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:23:
I must have skipped the part in my physics education where electromagnetic fields could influence radio waves.... fucking advanced technology.. it really is like voodoo magic.. and if it breaks you really need a Shaman nowadays.. man
I think you missed the part in your physics education that said that radio waves ARE elctromagnetec fields! :)

USB 3.0's 5 Ghz signal rate, in particular, will interfere with bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz wifi signals: USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices Make sure you buy USB hubs with fully-shielded plugs, and see if you can get an external antenna for your NUC.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: FCC hopes to shut down robocallers by publishing numbers weekly. Oct 22, 2015, 20:25 Genesys

Won't help, since they spoof the calling number. Yesterday I got a robocall on my cellphone, that promised me a great rate on a new credit card. The Caller-ID reported the same area code and extension as my own number; only the last 4 digits differed.

176 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo