Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 190 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 26, 2017, 21:46 Genesys

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:03:
Wow that was a big bomb. I mean, it's a short walking simulator but it's well reviewed and visually different. It was never going to pull Prison Architect numbers, but only $50,000 in revenue for 9 months of the team's time? Wew.

I assume their fan base is just really into gameplay rather than a short visual experience.

I was going to buy it until I learned about the horror bits. I would have loved a nice quiet exploration game without having things popping out at me.

From the RPS review: "However, I spoke of an identity crisis earlier, and that is that Scanner Sombre is a slightly uneven blend of pure walking simulator, Dear Esther-style metaphysical narrative and jump-scare horror. "

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 22, 2017, 21:32 Genesys

On Sale: just about everything. I got a notification email this afternoon saying "34 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!" I only have 40 items on the list in total :)  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2017, 20:25 Genesys

You really don't want to mow an acre with a push mower. Riding mowers work great.

Orrrrrr, just get yourself one of these babies: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/

News Comments > Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off
5. Re: Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off May 29, 2017, 17:23 Genesys

Over at RockPaperShotgun, there's a weekly "The Flare Path" posting by Time Stone that covers all sort of war games, and occasionally he does a piece on flight sims.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 17, 2017, 11:00 Genesys

RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2017, 10:27:
Genesys wrote on May 17, 2017, 01:02:
Vorbis has been replaced with Opus; it ranks consistently better than Vorbis and AAC at the same bitrate in multiple listening tests. I just wish more things supported it.

http://opus-codec.org/comparison/
Thanks for that.
It does not matter how good it is if nothing supports it.
And in all things music compression related, from the chart "It attempts to summarize results from a collection of listening tests and (when no data exists) show anecdotal evidence."
A pretty chart but results based on anecdotal evidence and listening tests is still just anecdotal science.

At higher bit-rates all of the compression techniques probably sound pretty good.
As long as peeps realize that mp3 is not dead and will still work for years to come.

That chart is just meant to indicate the approximate quality range of a bunch of codecs in an easy-to-read fashion. If you check out the listening test links, they go into a lot more detail. The HydrogenAudio tests compared five codecs and between 30 and 40 music samples. Opus beat AAC in almost all cases, and AAC beat Vorbis in most cases. MP3 only stayed up in the rankings in the 2014 test because they gave it a 30% higher bitrate than the others :)

And Opus does have some support; YouTube uses it for its high-quality audio streams, for example, so I assume there's wide browser coverage. You're unlikely to have either Vorbis or Opus support in your car's cheapo builtin audio player, though.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 17, 2017, 01:02 Genesys

Vorbis has been replaced with Opus; it ranks consistently better than Vorbis and AAC at the same bitrate in multiple listening tests. I just wish more things supported it.

http://opus-codec.org/comparison/

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 4, 2017, 20:31 Genesys

I remember that Neon ad when playing Tie Fighter! So maybe not that rare when it came out. Certainly don't have the disks anymore.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Apr 26, 2017, 20:47 Genesys

I loved Unbreakable too. Best "origin" film ever. I don't know if a sequel can match up to it though. I'd like it to be as low-key as Unbreakable, but it'd probably be more like your typical superhero movie.
Elijah Price: Now that we know who you are, I know who I am. I'm not a mistake! It all makes sense! In a comic, you know how you can tell who the arch-villain's going to be? He's the exact opposite of the hero. And most times they're friends, like you and me! I should've known way back when... You know why, David? Because of the kids. They called me Mr Glass.

[edit] Ooh, found a neat interview with Shyamalan, Jackson, and Willis talking about Unbreakable. An Oral History of M. Night Shyamalan's 'Unbreakable'
SHYAMALAN: When Iím at Comic-Cons and all this, everybody says, ďAre you going to make a sequel?Ē But Unbreakable isnít even a comic-book movie. Itís a drama about the subject of comic books. But thereís something about these tropes. I donít know, maybe thereís interest right now in the underlying struggles and fantasies that are being fulfilled in the comic books and not being fulfilled in the real world.

JACKSON: Nightís still around. Bruce is still around. Iím still around. And Iíd love to break out of the asylum

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2017, 21:06.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 20:11 Genesys

descender wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 09:28:
Google just demonstrated an SHA-1 collision for the first time... so the digital security world is about to be turned on it's head anyway.
Note that was a collision against a customized source file, so it hasn't been completely broken yet. It's just got some proven cracks. Also, Google and others have been pushing since 2014 to phase out SHA-1 SSL certs, so there isn't much of it left in widespread use on webservers.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 21, 2017, 20:32 Genesys

That's why servers use ECC RAM, and many processor buses use checksums/ECC so bit flips can be detected. I have used "cosmic rays" as my generic excuse for computer problems at work for 20 years.

Cry low-grade havoc, and let slip the squirrels of discord!

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
4. Re: Conan Exiles Banishes Servers Feb 5, 2017, 12:47 Genesys

Heh. Is this the first time a company has killed their official servers in favor of user-hosted servers? Usually it's the other way around :)

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin Revealed
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin Revealed Dec 22, 2016, 19:57 Genesys

So, not a drummer? I'm confused.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2016, 18:04 Genesys

Quboid wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 17:27:
Scientists make huge chemotherapy breakthrough.

So simple.
I'm surprised by that headline, no pun intended. Is losing one's hair a significant enough problem that reducing this can be called "huge" when someone is dealing with a serious illness and high risk of death?
If you check out babwnews's homepage, you can see that lots of of their headlines are of that clickbaity style. "shocking", "stunning", "huge", etc.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 17:06 Genesys

I'm too heavily invested in dozens of firefox addons to move to another browser (Edge is nowhere near customizable enough yet), but I do use Edge on my tablets since it seems to have the best touch experience. I've never had a speed problem with any browser myself. Adblockers really help with that  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2016, 20:31 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 12:39:
And the end result produced 3.7 grams of pyrimethamine Ė the chemical name of Daraprim.

ďThatís about $110,000 worth of the drug,Ē Dr Williams said.

Yes, that's what Turing says it costs to make that much of the drug. How much did it cost these kids to make that? $20. $20 fucking dollars. Unreal. Americans should be running riot in the streets over how they get screwed by PhRMA.
To be fair, the kids didn't make their drugs in an FDA-approved and regulated lab. The problem isn't the drug manufacture itself, it's the regulations that permitted Shkreli to do what he did.

Science Magazine blog: Those Australian Students And Their Daraprim
Ars Technica: The dangers of thinking Australian high school kids just schooled Shkreli

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 23, 2016, 16:30 Genesys

Dacote wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:50:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:23:
wtf am i reading
forgot joke tag
ROFL

News Comments > Destination Ares Early Access
1. Re: Destination Ares Early Access Nov 14, 2016, 20:58 Genesys

Ship AI rule #1:

Turn off the meatbags as soon as possible - they only screw things up.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2016, 23:22 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 00:54:
Yeah, update just runs forever without actually doing anything - yeah I'm using 7 64bit Pro. Thanks for the links and advice folks, I'll give those a whirl later. It's just fucking ridicurous that people have to piss around like this to begin with. No one can tell me MS isn't aware of this and could fix it if there were so inclined, because after all it's just so much easier to upgrade to Spywin 10, isn't it?
You can also just leave the Windows Updates screen open overnight; that's what I had to do on my PC (32-bit W7) and also a relative's (64-bit W7). Something to do with an extremely inefficient algorithm for determining patch dependencies, but fixed by later patches. It will eventually build the list of patches it needs and download them.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 6, 2016, 12:48 Genesys

Nowadays, if a thing has wifi, an LCD screen, or video output, chances are probably 95% that it's a generic MIPS or ARM system-on-chip running Linux. They are so cheap and so powerful it doesn't make sense to build your own anymore.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 22, 2016, 23:12 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 18:37:
Steve's a little late to the party. Man, have none of you guys seen Colossus: The Forbin Project? It was way ahead of its time, seeing as it released back in 1970. Awesome friggin movie and seemingly more likely - IMO - than a Skynet scenario. It's a must watch along with the other two classics, The Andromeda Strain and the much lesser known but equally as fascinating - and some of the most amazing cinematography you'll ever see - Phase IV.
Holy cow. Clicked on that Andromeda Strain link, and never knew it's rated G! What a way to scare kids!

190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo