Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 216 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 18, 2018, 23:25 Genesys

They should have called it something other than "Nook"; that name means e-reader in my mind, and this is a standard Android tablet. Amazon initially made the same mistake with their tablets, calling them "Kindle Fire", but they soon renamed them to just "Fire".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: The Average User Checks Email 5.6 Hours Per Weekday Nov 10, 2018, 16:30 Genesys

I assume this 5.6 hours include the time spent composing and responding to emails, in which case the number sounds reasonable. It can take me a half-hour to an hour to respond to one email, depending on the amount of research done and detail I put into the reply. In fact, for some employees that do most of their communication via email, I'd expect all 8 of their work hours to be email-driven.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2018, 19:57 Genesys

Capella wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 16:14:
Anyone have any luck with hiya?
Hiya works well for me, as does the AT&T Call Protect app (which uses Hiya internally). You can have it block spam or same-prefix-spoofed calls, or just label them so you can decline the call yourself.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 23, 2018, 20:19 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 23:40:
There is a movie about that raid.
The Heroes of Telemark
You know it was a good raid when they get guys like Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris to play you and your squad.

Rønneberg didn't like that movie because it strayed too far from the facts. A different 6-episode miniseries was made in 2015 that's pretty good: The Heavy Water War: Stopping Hitler's Atomic Bomb.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Neal Stephenson's Sci Fi Novel Anathem Should Be A Video Game Sep 3, 2018, 19:51 Genesys

My first thought was "Anathem would make a horrible fps", but then I read the article, and agree that it would make a great Wadjet Eye game.

News Comments > Remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy Kicks Off Next Week
4. Re: Remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy Kicks Off Next Week Aug 7, 2018, 21:29 Genesys

I had the C64 version, too, and I remember using graph paper to map out the dungeons  

News Comments > New Twitch Prime Freebies
6. Re: New Twitch Prime Freebies Jul 3, 2018, 19:10 Genesys

WebSoldier wrote on Jul 3, 2018, 18:50:
Does that mean that they don't give you a steam key for this? I want QUBE 2 but I do not want to pay them after the 30 days. So in order to play QUBE 2 after the 30 days, I would have to keep paying $12.99/monthly to keep playing?
From what I understand, the games are free forever, but you have to claim them while you have Prime.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 21, 2018, 20:28 Genesys

Thant!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: High Definition Vinyl Apr 13, 2018, 20:22 Genesys

"The results, he said, are vinyl LPs that can have up to 30 percent more playing time, 30 percent more amplitude, and overall more faithful sound reproduction."

I hear someone has invented a slide rule that's 30% more accurate, too. Everyone, throw away your calculators and computers! The future is here!

News Comments > April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup
7. Re: April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup Apr 1, 2018, 13:57 Genesys

That Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 article is real, actually... They also have the service on 1.0.0.1 since so many wifi routers have decided that 1.1.1.1 is a suitable IP address for their captive portal (it's even in Cisco's own documentation).

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2018, 23:52 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:11:
Blue, Firefox and Chrome are showing your safety certificate has expired and warning not to proceed to the site.
LetsEncrypt is free and easy to set up. If it's good enough for pbs.org, jquery.com, and pcgamer.com, it's good enough for Blue's!

News Comments > Ataribox is Atari VCS
3. Re: Ataribox is Atari VCS Mar 19, 2018, 20:39 Genesys

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 19:01:
I'm a long time Atari fanboy but I am waiting on this. I want to see the specs first and what launch titles will be available. I also want to see what "Linux OS" their firmware is based on.

The quick answer to that is probably "busybox". You're not going to put an entire distribution on one of these things. It's probably going to have the kernel, some sort of small menu interface, and an emulator. That's pretty much all the NES Classic had when they dumped its firmware.

Edit: Hm. I didn't see in the announcement that it would include an AMD CPU and GPU, instead of a cheap ARM cpu like the NES Classic. Maybe it'll be a Steam Machine

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
9. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 18, 2018, 00:12 Genesys

SlimRam wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 21:06:
I think I'm probably the only man on earth that has never played this series... I'll just leave this here:

*Turns in my gamer card and walks out the door, head hung in shame*

Don't worry; I've never played any of them either. I think I was playing the Gabriel Knight and Zork adventure games instead.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 15, 2018, 21:22 Genesys

Nullity wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 16:26:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 16:20:
Nullity wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 13:08:
SSDs aren't going to be used in any large capacity in data centers for quite a long time. Data centers need capacity above all, and SSDs are still obscenely expensive compared to HDDs per GB.

*checks his data center*

Hate to break it to you, but that's not the case. A data center is not just a place to store data. A data center is also a place to compute. Compute fast enough and you might find HDDs simply can't feed enough data. So you pony up for SSDs and deal with the costs.
"in any large capacity"

Maybe I worded that weird. I didn't mean to suggest that data centers aren't using them, just that, in general, HDDs should far outnumber SSDs, relatively speaking.

Our rule of thumb for deciding whether to put something on SSD vs HDD at work is: "If you can guarantee that this data will only ever be sequentially read, we put it on HDD. Everything else goes on SSD." Moving a relational database from HDD to SSD will give you at least a 10x speed boost, because all your seeks are freeee, and you can submit dozens of them at a time without them fighting over a small number of read heads. That more than makes up for the extra cost of SSD. All VM OS drives go on SSD, because snapshot maintenance on vmware involves lots of seeks. Basically the only things that go on HDD anymore are large flat files (analytics datasets, csv files, logs, backup images, etc) and Hadoop clusters.

I'd guess that we're around 50/50 HDD vs SSD usage, looking at capacity. In terms or number of drives, that comes out to a lot more SSDs just because they are smaller capacity, but you can also pack them tighter in a rack, so square-footage wise, it's probably about even again.

News Comments > AMID EVIL Early Access
3. Re: AMID EVIL Early Access Mar 12, 2018, 23:43 Genesys

Amid Evil Horror?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 16, 2018, 20:43 Genesys

Those poll options are weird, and sounds like they should have been multiple choice instead of "pick one". What if I want to respond with these three: "Cosmetic only is OK", "Dislike Pay to Win" and "I don't purchase them"? I have no problem with ingame purchases as long as they don't affect gameplay, but I'd never buy one myself.

News Comments > InnerSpace Launched
3. Re: Re: InnerSpace Launched Jan 16, 2018, 23:10 Genesys

"If you don't help me, you're going to wind up with this miniaturized submersible pod floating around your insides with this teeny tiny human skeleton at the helm."  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: ICO represents last-gasp hope for struggling Kodak. Jan 10, 2018, 20:19 Genesys

What's sad is that Kodak's shares are up to $11 from $3 a week ago due to this - https://yhoo.it/2D2ufCc . It really is true: put out an announcement with the word blockchain in it, and your stock goes up.  

News Comments > Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things
8. Re: Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things Jan 7, 2018, 22:18 Genesys

I don't know that a class action suit will go anywhere. Intel's CPUs have had the ability to separate userland and kernel address spaces since Haswell (~2013); you might as well go after Microsoft and Linux for not using that feature as soon as it was available.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 11:15 Genesys

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 10:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 21:11:
Hey everybody make sure you update your password and not share it with anyone!

It's hard to tell in text if you're being facetious, but if not, it's not that kind of security flaw. Instead, it's the kind that would allow an attacker to crash a server or a business's workstations, causing economic losses.

I'm pretty sure that both are information disclosure vulnerabilities, not denial of service ones. Meltdown lets user processes read kernel memory, and Spectre lets user processes read other processes memory. Both take advantage of timing and cache effects of prefetching and out-of-order instruction execution to determine the contents of memory that the attacking process does not have direct access to. Neither can crash the system by themselves, but if they manage to read a root password or something, that might let an attacker gain more privileges.

Edit: more info, including the white papers for both attacks and other interesting links, is at https://meltdownattack.com/

216 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo