Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 176 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2016, 20:31 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 12:39:
And the end result produced 3.7 grams of pyrimethamine – the chemical name of Daraprim.

“That’s about $110,000 worth of the drug,” Dr Williams said.

Yes, that's what Turing says it costs to make that much of the drug. How much did it cost these kids to make that? $20. $20 fucking dollars. Unreal. Americans should be running riot in the streets over how they get screwed by PhRMA.
To be fair, the kids didn't make their drugs in an FDA-approved and regulated lab. The problem isn't the drug manufacture itself, it's the regulations that permitted Shkreli to do what he did.

Science Magazine blog: Those Australian Students And Their Daraprim
Ars Technica: The dangers of thinking Australian high school kids just schooled Shkreli

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 23, 2016, 16:30 Genesys

Dacote wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:50:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:23:
wtf am i reading
forgot joke tag
ROFL

News Comments > Destination Ares Early Access
1. Re: Destination Ares Early Access Nov 14, 2016, 20:58 Genesys

Ship AI rule #1:

Turn off the meatbags as soon as possible - they only screw things up.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2016, 23:22 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 00:54:
Yeah, update just runs forever without actually doing anything - yeah I'm using 7 64bit Pro. Thanks for the links and advice folks, I'll give those a whirl later. It's just fucking ridicurous that people have to piss around like this to begin with. No one can tell me MS isn't aware of this and could fix it if there were so inclined, because after all it's just so much easier to upgrade to Spywin 10, isn't it?
You can also just leave the Windows Updates screen open overnight; that's what I had to do on my PC (32-bit W7) and also a relative's (64-bit W7). Something to do with an extremely inefficient algorithm for determining patch dependencies, but fixed by later patches. It will eventually build the list of patches it needs and download them.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 6, 2016, 12:48 Genesys

Nowadays, if a thing has wifi, an LCD screen, or video output, chances are probably 95% that it's a generic MIPS or ARM system-on-chip running Linux. They are so cheap and so powerful it doesn't make sense to build your own anymore.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 22, 2016, 23:12 Genesys

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 18:37:
Steve's a little late to the party. Man, have none of you guys seen Colossus: The Forbin Project? It was way ahead of its time, seeing as it released back in 1970. Awesome friggin movie and seemingly more likely - IMO - than a Skynet scenario. It's a must watch along with the other two classics, The Andromeda Strain and the much lesser known but equally as fascinating - and some of the most amazing cinematography you'll ever see - Phase IV.
Holy cow. Clicked on that Andromeda Strain link, and never knew it's rated G! What a way to scare kids!

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil for Free
21. Re: Beyond Good & Evil for Free Oct 12, 2016, 20:23 Genesys

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 18:41:
I'd like to state up front that I have no problems with Steam, Origin, or Uplay. Recently, however, I made the decision to switch to looking on GOG first for my games. One, this supports the awesomeness behind The Witcher Series and Cyberpunk 2077 and, two, because I can download the whole game and archive it off to the NASes for when I want to install without worrying about bandwidth issues each time I want to reinstall a game.
I actually run most of my Steam library off a NAS drive mapping :) Only the access-heavy games get promoted to an SSD. You can make backups of Steam games, too, for archival purposes or installing on other PCs without a redownload.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: About Amazon Blog - Update on Customer Reviews. Oct 3, 2016, 21:03 Genesys

Does this mean Fakespot is out of a job? We can only hope.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 19, 2016, 20:24 Genesys

SpinRite was good on floppies and MFM/RLL hard drives, where you could bypass the drive's error-checking routines to get the read head's raw output, read the same block 100 times, average the results, THEN perform the ECC routines yourself. It's useless on any IDE/SATA/SCSI drive. They do error-checking and correcting all the time and you can't ask for the "raw" data off the platters.

And about SoftRAM? They must have had the right idea, since Windows 10 has memory compression built in! http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/17993-windows-10-memory-compression.html

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: New air-gap jumper covertly transmits data in hard-drive sounds. Aug 12, 2016, 21:46 Genesys

I had a psychic number matching program on the C64 that you could amaze your friends with by always correctly guessing the number they entered. It quietly blinked out their number for you via the floppy drive's activity light

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 19, 2016, 22:14 Genesys

A lot of small devices run with MIPS processors. If their licensing costs are low, maybe we'll start seeing them in more high-powered things. They had a proof-of-concept MIPS tablet running Firefox OS last year.  

12. Re: LGR - Building a 486 DOS PC Jul 9, 2016, 18:22 Genesys

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 17:37:
But if your Windows 7 install is fubar'ed, your going to have a fubar'ed Windows 10 install. I had a customer whose 7 needed reinstalling. She comes in one morning and 10 had installed itself (they never know how it happened). After I showed her classicshell and and how to disable some stuff she liked it. Well it BLEW UP and could not find the boot drive. I did a cleaner install of 10 (reset it, deletes old programs and keeps data). Customer has never been happier, computer runs just as good if not better than Windows 7.

TLDR Upgrade works fine for most. But a clean install is always better.

edit: PS, I'm sticking with 7, DX12 and 10 offer nothing that I need right now.
I cloned my 7 partition to a new drive and upgraded it to 10, so I can boot either one. 10 is flaking out slightly so I'll probably do a clean reinstall of it too. All my help searches seem to redirect to bing search pages instead of the real help documents on microsoft.com , and the "Get Started" app doesn't think I have an internet connection, even though everything else is happy.

My list of required tools to make 10 useable so far are: Classic Shell, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, WinAero Tweaker, and glass8. WinAero is one I just recently discovered, and lets you fix a lot of the win10 UI mistakes like the huuuge title bars, the missing window borders, and the lack of a full color palette when choosing UI colors.

1. Re: reasons Jul 9, 2016, 13:07 Genesys

Well, you have to admit it's balanced reporting :)  

News Comments > Star Trek VR Game Plans
8. Re: Star Trek VR Game Plans Jun 12, 2016, 14:51 Genesys

[...] with VR allowing the illusion of operating a computer while you are actually merely operating a computer
That cracked me up :)

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
2. Re: 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters Jun 2, 2016, 20:29 Genesys

BTW, Overwatch nation is in position 105 by population: more people than Laos, less than Bulgaria

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 25, 2016, 22:04 Genesys

jimnms wrote on May 25, 2016, 21:01:
Do Brits really call the X that closes windows a cross? Do they also call the letter X a cross?
You've never had a Brit invite you to play a game of Naughts and Crosses? They speak a whole different language over there; it uses the same words as we do, but they don't always mean the same thing.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 24, 2016, 20:01 Genesys

"It's Hedley!"  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2016, 20:45 Genesys

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 12:05:
sauron wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 10:21:
Happy Earth day, everyone.

After killing off a band of foolhardy adventurers, don't forget to recycle their armor and weapons.

And remember if you come across any magical rings that were made in Mt Doom, throw them back. Remember recycling starts with you

I have had this hanging above the garbage can in the break room at work for the last 14 years or so :)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 13, 2016, 20:33 Genesys

There's a huge thread on mobileread.com talking about it. Yes, it auto-rotates, both to portrait and landscape views. The price is so high, though, that it's not meant for the average consumer. At $290 they're definitely aiming at the high end of the e-reader market. The screen and CPU are apparently the same as the Voyage, though, so you're paying a lot for the ergonomics and physical buttons. I'll stick with my Paperwhite :)  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 12:20 Genesys

Blue, check this link out: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3890003/amazon-widget-and-ssl . It looks like adding "&internal=1" to your iframe request will make those images get fetched over https.  

176 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo