Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan Nelson

Real Name Dan Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Genesys
Email dnelson_1901@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description Worth a million in prizes
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2010, 06:51
Total Comments 166 (Novice)
User ID 55658

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 19, 2016, 22:14 Genesys

A lot of small devices run with MIPS processors. If their licensing costs are low, maybe we'll start seeing them in more high-powered things. They had a proof-of-concept MIPS tablet running Firefox OS last year.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: LGR - Building a 486 DOS PC Jul 9, 2016, 18:22 Genesys

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 17:37:
But if your Windows 7 install is fubar'ed, your going to have a fubar'ed Windows 10 install. I had a customer whose 7 needed reinstalling. She comes in one morning and 10 had installed itself (they never know how it happened). After I showed her classicshell and and how to disable some stuff she liked it. Well it BLEW UP and could not find the boot drive. I did a cleaner install of 10 (reset it, deletes old programs and keeps data). Customer has never been happier, computer runs just as good if not better than Windows 7.

TLDR Upgrade works fine for most. But a clean install is always better.

edit: PS, I'm sticking with 7, DX12 and 10 offer nothing that I need right now.
I cloned my 7 partition to a new drive and upgraded it to 10, so I can boot either one. 10 is flaking out slightly so I'll probably do a clean reinstall of it too. All my help searches seem to redirect to bing search pages instead of the real help documents on microsoft.com , and the "Get Started" app doesn't think I have an internet connection, even though everything else is happy.

My list of required tools to make 10 useable so far are: Classic Shell, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, WinAero Tweaker, and glass8. WinAero is one I just recently discovered, and lets you fix a lot of the win10 UI mistakes like the huuuge title bars, the missing window borders, and the lack of a full color palette when choosing UI colors.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: reasons Jul 9, 2016, 13:07 Genesys

Well, you have to admit it's balanced reporting :)  

News Comments > Star Trek VR Game Plans
8. Re: Star Trek VR Game Plans Jun 12, 2016, 14:51 Genesys

[...] with VR allowing the illusion of operating a computer while you are actually merely operating a computer
That cracked me up :)

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
2. Re: 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters Jun 2, 2016, 20:29 Genesys

BTW, Overwatch nation is in position 105 by population: more people than Laos, less than Bulgaria

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 25, 2016, 22:04 Genesys

jimnms wrote on May 25, 2016, 21:01:
Do Brits really call the X that closes windows a cross? Do they also call the letter X a cross?
You've never had a Brit invite you to play a game of Naughts and Crosses? They speak a whole different language over there; it uses the same words as we do, but they don't always mean the same thing.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 24, 2016, 20:01 Genesys

"It's Hedley!"  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2016, 20:45 Genesys

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 12:05:
sauron wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 10:21:
Happy Earth day, everyone.

After killing off a band of foolhardy adventurers, don't forget to recycle their armor and weapons.

And remember if you come across any magical rings that were made in Mt Doom, throw them back. Remember recycling starts with you

I have had this hanging above the garbage can in the break room at work for the last 14 years or so :)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 13, 2016, 20:33 Genesys

There's a huge thread on mobileread.com talking about it. Yes, it auto-rotates, both to portrait and landscape views. The price is so high, though, that it's not meant for the average consumer. At $290 they're definitely aiming at the high end of the e-reader market. The screen and CPU are apparently the same as the Voyage, though, so you're paying a lot for the ergonomics and physical buttons. I'll stick with my Paperwhite :)  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 12:20 Genesys

Blue, check this link out: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3890003/amazon-widget-and-ssl . It looks like adding "&internal=1" to your iframe request will make those images get fetched over https.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 12:10 Genesys

Pigeon wrote on Mar 26, 2016, 11:54:
The only "problem", is the secure page icon by the address bar has a little notification saying "Parts of this page are not secure (such as images)"., when I click on it. It's a problem in that it exists, but seemingly effects nothing. I assume it working as intended.

Using firefox 45.01
It looks like Amazon's got a problem with their Associate links. The iframes get loaded securely with src="//rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/..." urls, which inherit the "https" prefix if the originating site used it. Unfortunately, the served content has hardcoded http:// links to the clickable images, and that triggers the warning.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2016, 11:16 Genesys

But now the NSA will have no idea how many times I refresh BluesNews every day. You do know "Going Dark" just helps the terrorists? Think of the children!

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2016, 19:04 Genesys

Yes, Netflix would have gotten a lot better press coverage on this if they had put up a dialog box that said "We see you're on a mobile network that charges if you exceed your usage cap. The movie you're about to watch is 6 GB at high quality and 0.6 GB at medium quality. Would you like to default to medium quality?"

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2016, 20:13 Genesys

Shok wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 16:38:
I use the lux app on my android phone and tablet, mainly to save battery. The only issue is there are a few apps that won't respond to touch input unless lux is turned off.
Try the f.lux beta app that just came out. I haven't had any problems with it on my Kindle Fire tablet (you need root), and it beats the pants off the horrible Night Shift color overlay built into the Kindles.

News Comments > The Long Journey Home This Year
2. Re: The Long Journey Home This Year Mar 17, 2016, 00:12 Genesys

Completely procedurally-generated games are best when they're small (i.e. one playthrough takes a couple of hours), and the variations are large but you only see a few of them in a single playthrough. That's where you get replayability.

I think procedural generation in large games is best used to replace what you might have an art intern do - building a coastline, laying down ten thousand trees, etc. But it should be as a base layer that gets "curated" by a human later. Sure, procedurally-generate a galaxy, but do it /once/, then let the devs or art people find some really interesting solar systems, and point your quest chains there instead of letting us wander over a zillion boring planets with Radiant quests on each one.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 29, 2016, 00:19 Genesys

Interesting. Looks like it's got a Secrets of Raetikon style, which had nice visuals but was sort of frustrating to play.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2016, 23:31 Genesys

LittleMe wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 14:13:
When our country is dependent on foreigners to buy up our debt, this is the inevitable consequence. They will buy us out. We exported most of our manufacturing industry abroad in exchange for cheap goods and easy money. This is the result of our failed centrally planned easy money policies by the Fed.
"Our country" being Norway of course, since that's where Opera is based?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 3, 2016, 20:19 Genesys

no Tall Man, no buy.  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2016, 23:12 Genesys

F.lux works great, so if Apple has copied that, I'll be happy. Amazon's "Blue Shade" implementation on the Fire tables is horrible, though. It makes the whole screen glow orange and reduces contrast by a large margin.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 20, 2015, 21:41 Genesys

Dentorro wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 20:28:
shit happens, or in this case a typo, nothing to see really, must be a slow newsweek.
Then again, why isn't the user's MAC address data automatically synchronized between the authentication and usage databases? Is Comcast saying that someone is actually manually entering this data in when a customer is onboarded?

166 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo