Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jacob Bowers

Real Name Jacob Bowers   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Necrophob
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.totaliterritory.com
Signed On Mar 23, 2010, 14:45
Total Comments 375 (Amateur)
User ID 55616

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Free GotY Upgrade on GOG.com
6. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Free GotY Upgrade on GOG.com Nov 30, 2016, 13:41 Necrophob

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world..." Man, these guys are awesome...except for that one time where they made us think they were shutting down.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2016, 14:26 Necrophob

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 13:07:
Man's body 'dissolved' by Yellowstone hot spring after seeking place to swim.

Hard to believe an entire human body could dissolve in a pool of water in 24 hours. Crazy.

Also, too: Darwin award winner.

When I visited Yellowstone, the amount of stupidity on display from other visitors was amazing. Walking too close to buffalo, touching boiling water (with a sign nearby in multiple languages saying water was scalding hot)...I picked up a book in the gift shop called Death in Yellowstone. Good read. This guy certainly wasn't the first person to hop in a hot spring.

News Comments > System Shock Remake in 2018
3. Re: System Shock Remake Next Year Nov 18, 2016, 10:59 Necrophob

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 10:52:
Nuukee wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 10:33:
2018 is not next year or is it?? ;-)
it is utilizing trump speak.

"I'm not saying this, but many people are saying this, that System Shock Remake will be out next year, in 2018." - Abraham Lincoln

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 09:34 Necrophob

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 20:38:
The thing I'm taking solace in at this point is that since the GOP will control all three branches of government, they will be 100% responsible for their actions. That means that if and when they take regulatory and legislative action that actively fucks citizens and consumers, there will be no one to blame but the GOP. Governing parties always lose seats in midterms, and if the GOP follows through on their stated agenda, they will quickly find themselves in the minority. The only question is how much of the damage they inflict will be reversible, such as common carrier classification, versus irreversible, such as abandoning NATO.

Wishful thinking. They're gonna get some mileage out of the "Thanks Obama..." meme for a long time. Mark my words, they'll say something like "it will take a long time to get us out of the mess that Obama created". Oh, and as for 2018, there are 6 democratic seats up for re-election...in red states.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 10, 2016, 09:38 Necrophob

Lot of Russian trolls on today. Yah..."zero reason" to go into Syria...other than ISIS, which has attacked us and our allies...maybe the Great Pumpkin-Elect will actually put up or shut up on that campaign promise and do something about them (of course, Pooty Poot won't allow it).  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 9, 2016, 13:50 Necrophob

El Pit wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:18:
"What is all that pussy talk about cybersecurity, net neutrality and internet freedom? It's all just limiting the good US telcom companies and the security of our citizens. I declare all this girlish stuff dead!" (Trump, 2017)

RE: Fleeing to Canada
Trump will also build a wall in the north, but all the guards will be looking SOUTH from the wall... Like in the good old GDR! People who get caught trying to escape will be tortured, because torture makes people tell the truth! FACT! RE: witch hunts and painful interrogations of witches!

More like, Canada will build an ice wall, to keep the white walkers out.

120. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:08 Necrophob

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 09:03:
Someone better put John Oliver on suicide watch.

I can't say I care for the man but Trump is the enema that Washington and the media need right now. For the first time I've seen other media outlets surpass Foxnews in biased coverage. ABC, Huffington Post, CNN et al. let go of all pretenses in their frantic attempts to stave off a Trump presidency. The media coverage of this election was frankly appalling.

I tend to lean right of center so I'm not displeased. I thought Trump had an excellent speech to close it off too, surprisingly gracious and restrained. Makes you wonder how much of the campaign stuff was strictly show. Looking forward to things settling down now, hopefully he has successfully cowed the party and the establishment a bit.

I doubt he wrote a single word of that speech.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
49. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 15:44 Necrophob

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 14:54:
I think Derek is going to be semi-right about this game. Derek Smart isn't an idiot, he's just a little hot headed about certain topics and lets his ego get the best of him. Does that make him wrong? Not at all.

Personally, I love his crusade against Star citizen.. he's got emotion involved in this as he was the original star citizen but he released it.

Mr. Smart, is that you? j/k :/

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 9, 2016, 11:30 Necrophob

"...but there's also a downside. "One unintended consequence of quantum computation is breaking some of the cryptographic tools currently underpinning cybersecurity""

Downside? That's what most people are researching this technology for in the first place, including our government. They just don't want OTHER entities to use it on their encryption.

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
6. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 10:35 Necrophob

To most people, Rage was overhyped and disappointing as an id game. I personally really enjoyed it. Not enough to buy the expansions, but still.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2016, 10:08 Necrophob

I did that once, Blue. I had the solution memorized for a whole week before forgetting it The last two steps were a pain in the butt.  

News Comments > Shadows of Kurgansk Early Access
2. Re: Shadows of Kurgansk Early Access Jul 14, 2016, 16:13 Necrophob

Darks wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 12:49:
Oh boy, just what we all need, another survival game to add to the hundreds we already have. No thank you!!

And to call it "Shadows of Kurgansk". They might as well have called it Rise of Kurgansk, as generic as that sounds.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2016, 12:00 Necrophob

Apparently there's something known as "Computer Elbow" (similar to Tennis Elbow). Might be that. I know I've had elbow pain on occasion, and my job has me typing all day.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2016, 12:27 Necrophob

Killer Kane wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 11:49:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 09:55:
Remember Blue,
If they have to do a digital exam, go to your happy place!
Hope all goes well for ya!

Sheesh, how do you give blood???

I'm sure digital is better than analog

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2016, 12:23 Necrophob

Blue wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 09:55:
sauron wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 09:44:
Definitely a good idea to see a doctor. As Brian mentioned, you should check for bull's eye (erythema migrans) rash which is present in 70-80% of cases (ie most but not all). Here are the symptoms (from the CDC website):

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs_symptoms/

Then again, it might just be a cold, but definitely best to check.

Good luck!

Yeah, I see no rash, but I have had the fever, chills, headache, fatigue, and muscle and joint aches. Probably nothing, but better safe than sorry.

Sounds like the flu.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard
18. Re: Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard Jun 7, 2016, 10:47 Necrophob

justice7 wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 09:16:
my biggest problem with Diablo3 has always been the writing. Sounds like I know who to blame.

Diablo almost belongs in WWE the way he speaks to the player.

Sashaying Diablo should have never been talking to begin with. Those developers never understood the IP.

News Comments > Blood Kickstarter Possible
16. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 12:37 Necrophob

I loved playing Blood coop and deathmatch. As long as the new game would be like the first Blood, and nothing like the abortion that was Blood 2.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 27, 2016, 12:28 Necrophob

SirKnight wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 22:51:
I think it's cool how Romero is working on Doom maps again. His maps were always my favorite with the original games.

I'd like to see him make some Quake maps now.

Romero was an awesome designer in Doom and Quake, but I'm wondering how well he'll handle the UE4 engine. Level design has changed a bit since the days where the level designer created everything but the textures. Now everything is done with static meshes created by someone else, and dropped into the level.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 27, 2016, 12:25 Necrophob

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 09:08:
Just shut up, Romero. It's getting annoying now. Nobody cares about your irrelevant ass.

Based on the frustration with the multiplayer in the new DOOM, I'm thinking SOME people care.

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter
44. Re: Quake Apr 26, 2016, 09:14 Necrophob

Doombringer wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 09:03:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 20:53:
Remember back when Quake was first announced, and it was supposed to be all about this dude with an axe in like medieval times or whatever, and you were supposed to be able to hit things with your axe and you could chop wood and lop off limbs and stuff and if you fell, you'd tumble realistically and stuff... All this crazy Romerohype that basically never saw the light of day. It was to be this crazy realistic shit, and look at what we got instead. XD Romero is full of shit.

I have to set the record straight here, because Romero gets crap he doesn't deserve, but if you did some research you'd know. Quake's development cycle went way off the rails, and it wasn't because of Romero's design doc. Yeah, he had plans for it... they weren't any more or less crazy than what they came up with for Doom. The id guys cribbed ideas left and right from Dungeons & Dragons, which they played. So an axe or hammer-wielding warrior with fantasy elements wasn't that strange a concept for Quake.

Quake's engine took too long to sort out, and they had to rush the "creative" side of it toward the end of development. Any truly interesting ideas were stripped out and what we got was more of a tech demo than an actual game... I mean really, who remembers Quake for any of its design i.e. enemies or weapons, like we remember Doom or Duke 3D?

And Daikatana... the game had some great ideas, but execution was flawed. They aimed too high with too green a team at ION Storm. It definitely could have and should have been handled better.

Yah, from Masters of Doom (really good read), they talk about the trouble during Quake's development. A lot of it was the fact that they never really had an engine to develop for until the end, and they were stuck churning out assets that ultimately had to be scrapped. However, Romero was also in the middle of his "rockstar" phase, so he takes some of the blame. It's not like it mattered in the end though, since everyone was so awed by the Quake engine they didn't care about the schizo game design.

Speaking of schizo design, it seems to be what Romero loves the best. I wish he'd nail down a style and stick with it all the way through a game, rather than coming up with these scenarios so he can design anything he wants and glue it together into a game.

375 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo