Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Toni

Real Name Toni   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PunkiBastardo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 21, 2010, 15:55
Total Comments 128 (Novice)
User ID 55613

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Adding Lando & Bespin
8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Adding Lando & Bespin Jun 17, 2016, 13:35 PunkiBastardo

This Deal's Getting Worse All The Time

Haha!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 16:23 PunkiBastardo

Zoopster I don't really want to get into long arguments but that comparison you made is completely biased.

First. I would hardly call any of your two setups (pc and home theater) "a basic console experience" but whatever.

Second. does your i7, 12GB RAM and 970 really just give you the performance to experiment a basic console experience on your PC? because my system is very similar to yours and last I checked I can run all the cross-platform games at higer res, higher detail and higher fps than any of the consoles. Surely NOT the same experience.

Third. your price comparisons are a joke because they are only applicable in your super specific case as you don't take into account the price of the stuff you already have at home and have some items most people will never have. I could do something similar, let's see... To get what you call a basic console experience on my very specific case for my PC i'd need:

Intel i7-4790 3.2 GHz (already have that from my last PC)
12 GB RAM (already have 16GB from my last PC)
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (already have it!)
Soundblaster Audigy II SE (around $39.99 on Amazon, used but whatever)
Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker audio system (Already have a woxter 7.1 system)
Samsung 24" monitor + LG 24" monitor, both 1080p (already have 2 samsung 1080p monitors at home)

So total cost of me upgrading my PC into what you called a basic console experience = $40

Now let's see, again in my super specific case, like you just did, how much it would cost me to get the same experience as you on the couch.

70" Sharp 1080p LED TV (I don't have a TV in my living room and can't find anything below $1500)
Infinity speakers (around $50 x 7), BIC subwoofer (around $200)
Onkyo receiver, 115 watts/ch (lets say $350)
Console ($350)
+ online subscription
+ games

so $40 versus 1500+350+200+350+350= $2750.
You heard it here first! you need more than $2500 to play on console!

And you'll say. Well you may not have a TV at home, but most people do. And to that I say: that's the fucking point!

What you described is most certainly NOT a "basic console experience" it's much more. And if you personally need to spend $2000 on a PC to get it up to the performance YOU want, then all the power to you, and in that case it's obvious console gaming is cheaper for you. But for the rest of the world, a basic console experience on PC is atainable with much much less than what you are trying to picture here.

Then you say this:

Zoopster wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 12:32:
I demand more from my gaming experiences. Consoles are a convenience over PCs for a lot of reasons (more comfortable chair for starters, as well as bigger screen and better sound), and yet their cost of entry will always be way lower.

You obviously do demand more from gaming seeing the setups you have at home. But ALL the conveniece points you describe are all things PCs already do and in some cases even better than consoles.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 11:58 PunkiBastardo

Zoopster wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 10:39:
Sure PC's have better hardware when it comes to gaming, if you're willing to spend the money. But to recreate even the basic $350 console experience on a PC (27" monitor, 5.1 surround sound, decent audio/video cards), you're in for at least $2000 and the sky's the limit from there.

God there's so much misinformation in your post I don't even know where to start. This is a PC news site and you're not gonna be able to spew your FUD here like it was some youtube comment section.

Start by reading this and then tell me you need $2000 to get the "basic console experience"

News Comments > STAR WARS Battlefront: Outer Rim Next Month
4. Re: STAR WARS Battlefront: Outer Rim Next Month Mar 12, 2016, 19:43 PunkiBastardo

You guys see this?
Stunning visuals...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 27, 2016, 09:55 PunkiBastardo

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 20:55:
All of that doesn't take long, but when I only do it every few years, I end up stumbling through 3 million settings, trying to remember what I set where.

Did you know Firefox's sync will do all that for you?. It auto changes settings, auto downloads addons, and if the addons are well made it also remembers their config as they have some kind of cloud space to save addon data too.

I use it all the time. Install Firefox on a new pc, log into sync and Bam! My whole browser's there.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 10:27 PunkiBastardo

Hadn't read about these wackos before, but I had a good laugh with the videos and all those homoerotic stories. Go internet!  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video
8. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video Jan 14, 2016, 05:28 PunkiBastardo

bigspender wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 20:12:
I'm just annoyed because they haven't shown a proper gameplay video.

Gameplay here!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2016, 14:10 PunkiBastardo

I removed it myself once, but when they made it reappear I just used the GWX tool and it's worked well.

Apparently I read that Microsoft resets those regkey values up to 5 times a day for each user to make sure they can't disable the nagging, so this GWX tool has a mode where it just stays in the system tray waiting for windows to change them and changes them back immediately.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release
19. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:32 PunkiBastardo

Oh my, I just saw the European price is 699 + 50 shipping. We got really screwed by exchange rates this time.  

15. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:21 PunkiBastardo

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:10:
how many USB ports is the damn thing gonna take?

I ran the compat program on my PC and it just mentioned that I pass the USB part because my PC supports USB 3.0. Where did you find these specs?

11. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:07 PunkiBastardo

A little pricy, so I'll just wait for people to start getting it and see their opinions...

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Antichamber: Three Years of Hardcore Iteration Dec 29, 2015, 14:09 PunkiBastardo

Well, that was an interesting speech, especially when he talks about the different kinds of players and how each one would see and try to solve the puzzles.
I gotta admit I was amazed at the game at the start, but got frustrated at some point and never looked back. I got intrigued by what he said though, so I'm downloading it again to see if I can get any further now...

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale
8. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 10:46 PunkiBastardo

Necrophob wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 10:35:
Ok, I'm a bit confused with the Mystery Games thing. I bought two, yet it doesn't tell me what games I actually got :/ I don't see any new games for download in my account. Sad panda...

They just appeared on my library. Check there. Also if you already owned them they might appear as a gift somewhere

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale
5. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 10:33 PunkiBastardo

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 09:45:
So what happens when you buy a mystery game and you already own it?

You get it as a gift to give out.
I bought a couple of them and got Space colony HD which is cool, but I also got jade empire which is free right now on origin...

News Comments > Free Hitman 2: Silent Assassin [Updated]
1. Re: Free Hitman 2: Silent Assassin? Nov 29, 2015, 12:56 PunkiBastardo

I can confirm this did work for me.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 23, 2015, 19:09 PunkiBastardo

Retired wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 18:07:
Does it just change the wheel to numbers?

No. It changes the vague responses like "agree" to exactly what the character is gonna say when you choose that option.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 23, 2015, 17:06 PunkiBastardo

Retired wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 16:59:
Link?

Here you go

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Apology
9. Re: PAYDAY 2 Apology Nov 23, 2015, 11:57 PunkiBastardo

Oh yeah! Real sorry guys!
Now take a look at our brand new tournament with over 250k in prizes!

Looks like the apology is basically clickbait to announce that tourney that's starting next week.
I bet most pissed fans wouldn't have even read about it if that "apology" wasn't in the title.

News Comments > Yet Another New Steam Record
5. Re: Yet Another New Steam Record Nov 2, 2015, 13:03 PunkiBastardo

Cmdr Shepard's Pie wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 10:27:
My guess would be bots.

Yeah, I think this would explain a lot. 500k new users in 24 hours is crazy, at least seeing how steam has had such a steady growth up till now.

I'm afraid we're gonna start seeing more and more news like this from now on...

News Comments > Valve's VSync Experiments
12. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 10:40 PunkiBastardo

This is very probably meant for VR. What may be a barely noticeable effect in normal gaming might be the difference that makes a VR game a nausea inducing experience or not.  

128 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo