Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Razumen

Real Name Razumen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On March 13, 2010
Supporter -
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 55599

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Raises More Cash

34. Re: Star Citizen Raises More Cash Apr 6, 2020, 03:09 Razumen

Taulin wrote on Apr 6, 2020, 02:25:
I love this game, but my problem is they keep releasing new places, and cool features...but there are so many bugs with the BASICS and network code. Simple things like the space map to choose where you want to go flakes out almost all the time. Stuff as simple as that!

Development on one part of a game doesn't halt just because others aren't ready yet. Do you realize how inefficient it would be if animators couldn't do ANY work at all until programmers fixed all the major bugs?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2020, 09:48 Razumen

yuastnav wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 09:45:
Razumen wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 07:45:
yuastnav wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 03:09:
Razumen wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 21:39:
yuastnav wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 07:42:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 06:48:
yuastnav wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 03:03:
Eh that's kinda true.
Recently I installed a new SSD in my computer. I installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Getting my NVidia video card to work on Ubuntu was actually easier. The installation process was faster and less cumbersome than it was on Windows.
I remember how difficult it was getting video drivers to work on Linux a couple of years ago. A thing I dreaded. Now it's the other way around. Every time I have to install video drivers on Windows I get an uneasy feeling as if I'm expecting it to go wrong any minute.
On ubuntu it's just "go to package manager, install NVidia drivers". Done.

Everything else just works out of the box. With Linux even more so than with Windows.
And thanks to steam getting to play a few, cool games is also easier than before. It's in no way more difficult than on Windows. Even with games that don't necessarily have native ports.

On the other hand every iteration of Windows just gets worse and worse. The menus etc. become more counter-intuitive to use, Linux is actually more user-friendly now than Windows. I'm not sure what exactly they are thinking at Microsoft but I'd wager it's not a lot.

Eh Linux is not without its problems, mind you. Some things are still a pain in the ass to use but it's gotten to a point where you can configure a lot of the system through GUIs, just like in Windows. But, unlike in Windows, you can still revert to the shell for more gritty, difficult stuff. The PowerShell on the other hand is a joke. Seriously, the first thing I do when I get a new Windows machine is install cygwin. I cannot fathom how one could hope to be productive just using cmd/PowerShell.

Visual Studio's debugger is still nice, though, and easier to use than Eclipse. In general I am not too happy with Eclipse. But that's probably because Eclipse is written in Java which I swear is the eleventh plague visited upon mankind.
Windows installs nVidia/AMD/Intel/Realtek/etc. drivers by itself to get you going. They're not the latest ones but they work just fine for games.

Peculiar. This has not been my experience. I installed Windows 10 pro. There were definitely problems until I installed the drivers. Didn't have to install DirectX anymore, though.

I've had far less problems with Win10 than I've had with previous W7, and W7 had far less than those before. Linux *might* be getting easier to use, but there's no way it's better than Windows still for the average user, and definitely not better for gaming. If you choose Linus to be your main gaming system, you are intentionally limiting your game pool with no real benefit.

No, I'm choosing Linux as my main system because I find it easier to use and I don't get the feeling that I'm using someone else's PC, nothing more.
Up until a few months ago I always used Windows as my main gaming system but I was never comfortable doing anything else with that system because it doesn't feel like it belongs to me. Now that I've seen how easy it is to install Ubuntu and the Nvidia drivers and get everything going (and that coming from a long-time Debian user) I'm really considering just ditching Windows completely because it's rather not very stable and pretty buggy for my tastes, not to mention security issues (not that Linux is not buggy, just not as much as Windows).

You can say no all you want, but it doesn't change the fact you're still intentionally limiting your game pool.

If the upside is, among others, a sense of comfort that I am using a PC that is actually a personal computer I am fine with that.

A "Personal Computer" than can do less than a PC, mmmkay.

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2020, 07:45 Razumen

yuastnav wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 03:09:
Razumen wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 21:39:
Eh that's kinda true.
Recently I installed a new SSD in my computer. I installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Getting my NVidia video card to work on Ubuntu was actually easier. The installation process was faster and less cumbersome than it was on Windows.
I remember how difficult it was getting video drivers to work on Linux a couple of years ago. A thing I dreaded. Now it's the other way around. Every time I have to install video drivers on Windows I get an uneasy feeling as if I'm expecting it to go wrong any minute.

Everything else just works out of the box. With Linux even more so than with Windows.
And thanks to steam getting to play a few, cool games is also easier than before. It's in no way more difficult than on Windows. Even with games that don't necessarily have native ports.

On the other hand every iteration of Windows just gets worse and worse. The menus etc. become more counter-intuitive to use, Linux is actually more user-friendly now than Windows. I'm not sure what exactly they are thinking at Microsoft but I'd wager it's not a lot.

Eh Linux is not without its problems, mind you. Some things are still a pain in the ass to use but it's gotten to a point where you can configure a lot of the system through GUIs, just like in Windows. But, unlike in Windows, you can still revert to the shell for more gritty, difficult stuff. The PowerShell on the other hand is a joke. Seriously, the first thing I do when I get a new Windows machine is install cygwin. I cannot fathom how one could hope to be productive just using cmd/PowerShell.

Visual Studio's debugger is still nice, though, and easier to use than Eclipse. In general I am not too happy with Eclipse. But that's probably because Eclipse is written in Java which I swear is the eleventh plague visited upon mankind.
Windows installs nVidia/AMD/Intel/Realtek/etc. drivers by itself to get you going. They're not the latest ones but they work just fine for games.

Peculiar. This has not been my experience. I installed Windows 10 pro. There were definitely problems until I installed the drivers. Didn't have to install DirectX anymore, though.

I've had far less problems with Win10 than I've had with previous W7, and W7 had far less than those before. Linux *might* be getting easier to use, but there's no way it's better than Windows still for the average user, and definitely not better for gaming. If you choose Linus to be your main gaming system, you are intentionally limiting your game pool with no real benefit.

No, I'm choosing Linux as my main system because I find it easier to use and I don't get the feeling that I'm using someone else's PC, nothing more.
Up until a few months ago I always used Windows as my main gaming system but I was never comfortable doing anything else with that system because it doesn't feel like it belongs to me. Now that I've seen how easy it is to install Ubuntu and the Nvidia drivers and get everything going (and that coming from a long-time Debian user) I'm really considering just ditching Windows completely because it's rather not very stable and pretty buggy for my tastes, not to mention security issues (not that Linux is not buggy, just not as much as Windows).

You can say no all you want, but it doesn't change the fact you're still intentionally limiting your game pool.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners

1. Re: BAFTA Winners Apr 2, 2020, 22:02 Razumen

More than fine with Outer Wilds taking best game, that one will be remembered for a long time.  

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 2, 2020, 21:39 Razumen

Eh that's kinda true.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 2, 2020, 06:46 Razumen

Switch a gaming PC to Linux, and it's no longer a gaming PC.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Shown in VR via Half-Life: Alyx

9. Re: Half-Life 2 Shown in VR via Half-Life: Alyx Apr 1, 2020, 02:58 Razumen

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 02:52:
Razumen wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 20:49:
Primalchrome wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 15:15:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 11:10:
A few maps imported (badly) into the current engine is not Half Life 2 in VR.
It was a joke?

Ignore him, just another just poster making a garbage complaint because they don't bother to even read the article.

Go look at the video, notice all the lighting artifacts (like lighting coming in under the walls). He took some maps from Half Life 2 (added in some assets) and recorded it.
The name is misleading. Show me the CAMPAIGN in VR and then you have a winner. A proof on cnncept yes, but again like to see the campaign.

Then don't watch it, because it's described clearly as a proof of concept. Things aren't made in a day, and stuff like like this is useful for drumming up support. And complaints too apparently.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Shown in VR via Half-Life: Alyx

7. Re: Half-Life 2 Shown in VR via Half-Life: Alyx Mar 31, 2020, 20:49 Razumen

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 15:15:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 11:10:
A few maps imported (badly) into the current engine is not Half Life 2 in VR.
It was a joke?

Ignore him, just another just poster making a garbage complaint because they don't bother to even read the article.

News Comments > Resident Evil 3 Remake Reviews

4. Re: Resident Evil 3 Remake Reviews Mar 31, 2020, 08:27 Razumen

MattyC wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 03:49:
Razumen wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 20:36:
Seems to be rather short and feel recycled from RE2 at parts. Considering I was very unimpressed with RE2Make's second "campaign", I think I'll wait for this to hit bargain bins.

If you were a RE fan, I don't think this really looks so bad. Personally, the only RE game I loved enough to get a remake of was 4. However, if I had felt that way about 3, I'd give this a look.

It's exactly why I'm a RE fan that it doesn't look that great. By most accounts it's sounding not as good as the original, and compared to past games it's lacking content.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2020, 21:05 Razumen

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:02:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 20:31:
MS *not* using some proprietary technology they can charge up the wazoo for? I'm shocked.

Well, the alternative to changing AAs every couple dozen hours is to buy their rechargeable battery pack separately... That's an extra $20-25 for the current controller. It's worth it if you're planning to put at least a few hundred hours on it, compared to the cost of batteries, but other consoles include that functionality in the price of the controller.

Just get some rechargeable batteries, you'll recoup the costs quickly.

News Comments > Star Citizen Raises More Cash

29. Re: Star Citizen Raises More Cash Mar 30, 2020, 20:48 Razumen

Xero wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 17:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 11:37:
El Pit wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 11:26:
Avus wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 11:01:
Goodtry wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 10:58:
I remain amazed that people keep throwing money down this hole.
I am guessing these whales have a "it is too big to fail now" mentality.
Hope and beliefs cannot be questioned from the outside - the believers themselves need to find a way out of the labyrinth they willingly walked into. They got to find their own escape route - again by their own effort.
Humans are a believing bunch.
Cults and religions rely on people not being able to find a way out.

That's why Fox news still exists, and people not looking to discover the truth themselves! - ZING!

This is an ironic statement for most of the people in this thread when if you do more than a little looking you can clearly see that they ARE working on the game and getting a lot done, and you CAN play the latest version.

But "Hurrdurr Chris is a fraud amirite?" And "Wow whales are dumb guys." (Despite the fact that these are investors in the article, not random people throwing money around)

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2020, 20:40 Razumen

I've always been happy with my PS3 and PS4 controllers, but being able to easily swap out the batteries is something I miss from when I played on 360. At least Sony's been much better than MS in letting people use non-proprietary stuff on the consoles.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 3 Remake Reviews

1. Re: Resident Evil 3 Remake Reviews Mar 30, 2020, 20:36 Razumen

Seems to be rather short and feel recycled from RE2 at parts. Considering I was very unimpressed with RE2Make's second "campaign", I think I'll wait for this to hit bargain bins.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Killing It

37. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 27, 2020, 00:08 Razumen

aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 14:39:
I've played enough now to agree with the people saying , 'overall' it just isn't as much fun as it could be. It's almost like work. No replayability , because there's not enough mindless, shooting - running around rooms having fun blasting away on end.
Play DOOM 64 that came with it and you will notice the difference of playing & having fun with a game almost 25 years old versus the newer one.
I would pretty much say that Doom 2016 was a 'better game' ... No stupid, overly complex story, no swinging like a russian gymnast or climbing walls endlessly -- it just had a lot of good killing action , over and over.

I still like Doom Eternal , I just wish it had more of that DOOM shooting & less of the rest they added .

This is a classic case of "Damned if you do and damned if you don't."

What you described as ideal is closer to Doom 2016, which was mostly arenas of combat over and over. regardless of what you think of arenas, it was fun, but people complained there was too many arenas. So in DE they changed maps up now to be more varied and a little closer to the original's, while still keeping the arena format for a lot of sections. But because of that people are now complaining there's not enough action.

It's too bad they didn't include Arcade Mode in DE, because I think that would be right up your alley.

36. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 23:56 Razumen

Cram wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 17:52:
The Marauders are the worst part of DE for me.

They can be downed with some strats, somewhat easily. But when they show up randomly, you can often kiss all your one-ups goodbye especially if they're surrounded by mobs. So that leaves you with nothing for the rest of the mission, unless you restart from the beginning.

The Marauders are the definition of interruption to game flow. Again, before anyone retorts me, yes they can be killed somewhat simply in ideal conditions without losing a single life. However, ideal conditions is rare/non existent in this game and a few of the Marauders spawn points are random.

If they spawn in a group, they are still vulnerable to damage from AOE damage (Shottynade, RL, etc), BFG tendrils hurt them as well. Do that and as long as you keep moving you'll be able to kill the rest of the big demons, and if he's still alive at the end he should be weakened and easier to take down 1v1.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR

5. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 21:04 Razumen

Slashman wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 15:15:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:35:
They'll then use these completely broken logic conclusions to determine that VR is terrible, since they can't even imagine that the headset and controls are absolutely key to making the game spectacular.

Maybe that right there is the whole problem with VR.

"The problem with 2d games is that you need a PC to play them, therefore 2D games are shit!"

See how dumb that logic is

29. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 10:59 Razumen

Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 10:42:
Razumen wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 06:08:
Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 04:05:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 03:53:
Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 03:18:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:51:
Drayth wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:26:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 22:41:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 21:36:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 21:33:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 19:24:
BULLSHIT! Physical copy's are down proving that DOOM is a failure. If there counting digital sales they are cheating and lying

Ok boomer.
Check the ol' satire detector there.

Eh, too hard to tell on this site, and there wasn't anything particularly satirical about his post anyways.

Till you realize all his posts are satirical.

Just saying something is satire doesn't make it satire.
I can write all my posts as negations and call them jokes, but they wouldn't be.

It's this "Poe's Law" people like RedEye get excited about everytime Riah-etc posts something. I made the case earlier that that just doesn't work in online communities, because stupidity knows no bounds in this area.

As for Doom Eternal: biggest waste of money for me this year so far. I've literally had more fun playing Niffelheim, which cost me 2 bucks. Doom Eternal makes me think of Jedi Fallen Order somehow -- with that game, too, I expected a cool action game that had me slice through unfortunate stormtroopers, mechanics and creatures but instead I got this every-battle-demands-your-best-effort labor. Oh, and the flamethrower reminds me of those YT videos where someone holds a lighter at their asshole when they fart.
Fuck me I hate Doom Eternal.
Sales figures mean fuck all these days.

So what made you buy it?

My almost obsessive love for DOOM 2016

I knew this was going to be a gamble. I've been saying it here before Doom Eternal's release multiple times, that I was afraid it would suck for me.

Doom 2016 was the same, that required your best as well. DE just has more of everything really.

Maybe this is true but I enjoyed that game even on highest difficulty. The problem with DE is that it wants to tell me what gun I should use. If I want to meathook shotgun every mofo for 20 hours with abandon, you can't do it because even with the recharging chainsaw fuelyou'll run out of shells.

As for Story difficulty... What story? I replayed DOOM 2016 like 5 times because of the combat flavored by atmosphere and immersion. DE doesn't have that and therefore has no replayability, I think. To me at least.

2016 had me changing weapons a lot as well, maybe not as much, but really, using SSG for everything isn't efficient or smart anyways.

DE has much more varied levels, and is just as immersive, so I don't get those complaints at all.

25. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 10:09 Razumen

bigspender wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:48:
I thought they were doing invasions (like dark souls) where other players can screw with your campaign by controlling the heavy demons. And for some reason I thought it would have coop thru the story mode. And no mods sucks.

I believe they're adding invasion mode after release, and mods are something they want to do in the future, that's specifically why they removed megatextures for DE. I think it'll happen eventually, the tools looked pretty cool from what we've seen in the developer reports.

20. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 06:08 Razumen

Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 04:05:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 03:53:
Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 03:18:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:51:
BULLSHIT! Physical copy's are down proving that DOOM is a failure. If there counting digital sales they are cheating and lying

Ok boomer.

Eh, too hard to tell on this site, and there wasn't anything particularly satirical about his post anyways.

I can write all my posts as negations and call them jokes, but they wouldn't be.

It's this "Poe's Law" people like RedEye get excited about everytime Riah-etc posts something. I made the case earlier that that just doesn't work in online communities, because stupidity knows no bounds in this area.

As for Doom Eternal: biggest waste of money for me this year so far. I've literally had more fun playing Niffelheim, which cost me 2 bucks. Doom Eternal makes me think of Jedi Fallen Order somehow -- with that game, too, I expected a cool action game that had me slice through unfortunate stormtroopers, mechanics and creatures but instead I got this every-battle-demands-your-best-effort labor. Oh, and the flamethrower reminds me of those YT videos where someone holds a lighter at their asshole when they fart.
Fuck me I hate Doom Eternal.
Sales figures mean fuck all these days.

So what made you buy it?

My almost obsessive love for DOOM 2016

I knew this was going to be a gamble. I've been saying it here before Doom Eternal's release multiple times, that I was afraid it would suck for me.

Doom 2016 was the same, that required your best as well. DE just has more of everything really.

15. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 25, 2020, 23:51 Razumen

Ok boomer.

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >