Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Razumen

Real Name Razumen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2010, 15:29
Total Comments 645 (Apprentice)
User ID 55599

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
40. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 25, 2017, 19:11 Razumen

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 11:11:
Razumen wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 21:06:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 21:11:
Alamar wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 11:35:
Did PUBG do anything original? Serious question... No interest in it, and didn't even know Fortnite had a Battle Royale mode, which as a game concept has been around since what, the first generation of shooters?
?
Battle Royale is pretty new. And the guy who created PUBG was pretty much the father of it. So no, theres not much new in it, except some details. But why should it be a concern, if that guy invented that game type anyway? He knew what the other games/mods lacked and he made it better. He succeeded like a boss.

Lol, Battle Royale is not new, as a gameplay mode it's existed in countless games, mods, and other things way before PUBG. There's even a Japanese movie made in 2000 that is the inspiration for most of these games. It's only recently become so popular because the a popular developer finally came up with a combination of mechanics (scavenging, open world) that appeals to a large amount of people. Nothing in PUBG is really new, and the developer certainly didn't create the genre, though I do give him credit for HOW he's made the game.
Nope sorry. Its pretty new. The first one was a DayZ/Arma 2 mod. That is pretty new as a genre.
And yes he created the genre. The others werent called battle royale and they lacked important parts of what defines battle royale. Its that simple

No he didn't, the genre has been around for ages, like I said, its based on the 2000 movie, just like Hunger Games. There was also many game modes and mods doing the same thing in other games before, for instance Minecraft had battle royale servers with scavenging and crafting WAY before PUBG.

You need to get off PU's knob, he didn't create anything new, he just implemented ideas that were already around in a way that sold products.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
38. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 24, 2017, 21:06 Razumen

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 21:11:
Alamar wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 11:35:
Did PUBG do anything original? Serious question... No interest in it, and didn't even know Fortnite had a Battle Royale mode, which as a game concept has been around since what, the first generation of shooters?
?
Battle Royale is pretty new. And the guy who created PUBG was pretty much the father of it. So no, theres not much new in it, except some details. But why should it be a concern, if that guy invented that game type anyway? He knew what the other games/mods lacked and he made it better. He succeeded like a boss.

Lol, Battle Royale is not new, as a gameplay mode it's existed in countless games, mods, and other things way before PUBG. There's even a Japanese movie made in 2000 that is the inspiration for most of these games. It's only recently become so popular because the a popular developer finally came up with a combination of mechanics (scavenging, open world) that appeals to a large amount of people. Nothing in PUBG is really new, and the developer certainly didn't create the genre, though I do give him credit for HOW he's made the game.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2017, 20:55 Razumen

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 12:45:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 12:36:
I kind of deplore our throwaway society. Nothing is built to be fixed easily. Things are intentionally designed to be hard as to encourage you to buy a new one. And due to said design fixing becomes more expensive, often approaching or even exceeding the cost of getting a new one. Sad and wasteful.

I 100% agree with this on car designs...simple processes like an oil change can become in redibly difficult due to absurd filter placement.

But on cellphones, specifically, it SOMEWHAT makes sense. There's an awful lot of stuff crammed into a tiny package. The guts are delicate, and the average American is a ham fisted buffoon. Realize, the people on this board are NOT "average".

Not even Cutter.

Phones are just like any other electronic device, they can be taken apart and repaired just fine, regardless of how "complex" is it. Apple's argument here doesn't hold any weight at all.

Furthermore, this isn't just about people fixing their phones personally, (Though if you have the tools and the expertise, you should be able to) it's about giving them AND other third party repairers the information they need to maintain and repair their own property without having to pay Apple ridiculous fees or travel ridiculous distances just for minor repairs.

This is REALLY about Apple trying to have a monopoly on every aspect of its product, from its manufacture right up to it's planned death (They'v already admitted in a court case that their products are not necessarilly designed to last beyond the warranty) where they have another new and pricey toy waiting for you.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 31, 2017, 20:35 Razumen

There's no way this thing is going to get built, it's a pipe dream based on impractical science. There's no way they're going to have not only the power to create and maintain a vacuum sealed tunnel that amount of distance, but also make sure it doesn't collapse in on istelf and crush everyone inside.  

News Comments > Dungeon Defenders II This Month
6. Re: Dungeon Defenders II This Month Jun 2, 2017, 00:45 Razumen

Unfortunately my time playing this has been much the same as you guys. Somehow they managed to suck out all of the fun and spirit of the original for the sake of F2P monetization and forced grinding.

No thank you.

I'd rather just replay DD1 than this.

Just like Orcs Must Die, it's another great franchise lost to the allure of F2P monies.

News Comments > Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO
9. Re: Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO Jun 2, 2017, 00:41 Razumen

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 10:35:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 10:06:
So since he's the game designer, was he in charge of lies about micro-transactions, absurd amount of pay to win bullshit?

Pretty much what I came in to ask as well. If he's from the pre-bullshit era then it gives him more credibility as far as not being a huge shithead is concerned.

As far as the game is concerned, I'm not for or against these types of games so I'll keep an open mind about it.

This is what someone posted on Reddit: "It is worth noting that this is Ulf Anderson, not his brother Bo. I am not certain, but Ulf was the one who voiced Wolf, and I think left because he was unhappy with the direction of the game, aka skins with stats in safes with drills. Bo is the leader of Starbreeze and I think was the one who signed off on the least popular period of Payday history"

So maybe there's hope for this game then.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 28, 2017, 01:53 Razumen

I have a nexus 6P and using the fingerprint sensor on the back feels perfectly natural, as that's where my index finger rests normally when I'm holding it. In fact I think it's actually faster to unlock it that way than if it was at the front.

All in all, just another article about a overproblem "problem" by Apple fanatics.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 16, 2017, 23:13 Razumen

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 22:43:
Flatline wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 22:05:
descender wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 19:51:
I'm nearly certain what they really meant is that this was a test run for a product with a certain library and there will be a different... better one that replaces it.

And by "better" of course you mean making it harder to sideload ROMs onto it.
You may have just hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Ver. 2, now harder to crack.

I don't think they really carde that it was going to be cracked, there was even a message on the system from one of the developers, they KNEW people were going to crack and find it easily.

overal, I don't believe piracy is the main reason it's being discontinued. First of all, regardless of what they do with the system, they still have to buy it first, and secondly, loading more roms on it wasn't cutting into nintendo's profits because there was no way to get those roms onto the system legally anyways. Overall it was a nice collectible geared at Nintendo fans that obviously wasn't meant to be a long supported product, or else they would have secured it better and allowed it to buy and download new titles from their web store.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Teaser
5. Re: Destiny 2 Teaser Mar 28, 2017, 20:17 Razumen

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 20:06:
As someone who dislocated their thumb from hours of Halo 2 and 3 (and quit playing console shooters) I picked up Destiny and have to say it's a pretty decent game. I haven't gotten very far into it but if they bring Destiny 2 to PC I'm in.

That's just it, it's a decent game, but nothing compared to what Halo was. So dissapointed they fell down the MMO-lite/grind trap.

News Comments > RUNNING WITH RIFLES: PACIFIC Announced
5. Re: RUNNING WITH RIFLES: PACIFIC Announced Mar 28, 2017, 09:53 Razumen

Jagacademy wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 13:48:
I had thought about buying this, but everytime I checked the forums people complained about lack of players.

Essentially just a couple dozen people who were really good at the game were the only ones playing.

It's still a lot of fun with bots, with a whole campaign you can play through, so you don't NEED to play with people, though I imagine it's a lot more fun and chaotic online.

News Comments > PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now
24. Re: PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now Mar 15, 2017, 01:48 Razumen

YourNick wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 01:43:
It's not just latency like in say multiplayer games that can be sort of be "smoothed over" using client-side prediction. Everything is lagged. Panning the screen in RTSs is lagged, moving a cursor is lagged, you name it, it is lagged. Even in single player games!

What you're talking about is exactly latency. Like I said, it depends on your distance from their servers; if you're close enough the latency is bearable. But beyond a certain point there's nothing they can did to get that information to you you faster without breaking the laws of physics.

News Comments > PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now
22. Re: PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now Mar 14, 2017, 21:53 Razumen

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 20:44:
Ignoring the fact that it's still GaiKai, and still terrible technology, it's cool that they're expanding it to PS4 games.

It's not terrible technology, it works well enough IF you're close enough to a server location to not notice the latency, that said some people are luckier than others.

Unfortunately this is a hard truth about streaming, no matter the bandwidth you have, there will ALWAYS be noticeable latency at distant clients. You just can't go faster than the speed of light. Local gaming will always trump it.

News Comments > John Carmack Sues ZeniMax
12. Re: John Carmack Sues ZeniMax Mar 10, 2017, 00:26 Razumen

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 22:51:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 22:19:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 21:52:
Wow, lots of Zenimax hate up in hurr.

Remember this sentiment when the next Elder Scrolls game is launched, next Fallout, or that new Quake game.

It's strange how people are able to divorce their feelings from a shitty mega-corp and the studios they own who make the games people love in some instances, but not in others.

it's socially intriguing.

artists and writers and engineers are great... corps are shit - its always been that way as far as im concerned.. probly always will

Well, you're generalizing to the point of ridiculousness, but I see your point. My observation is more along the lines of:

"I would like to play BF1, but I'm never installing Origin, because fuck EA"

In some instances there's no division between the "games and their developers" and "the publisher". As I've said 1000 times, you never hear people say: "I would go see La La Land, but fuck Lionsgate films"

If a corporation is being shitty, then heap the scorn, I'm all for that. But it's when that trickles down to developers making the great games that we love, then that's a bit of a stretch.

People seem to be able to make the rational distinction that Zenimax can suck a dick, but Skyrim is still great. There's no grassroots movement to boycott the next Fallout game because Zenimax are douchenozzles.

I think that Steam's business practises are worthy of scorn, but I'll be the first in line to play the next Portal, L4D, or HL game. I can balance these 2 thoughts in my head at the same time.

Who here is saying they're boycotting Zenimax games?

If Zenimax still owes Carmack money they should pay up, period. That's not hate at all, it's decent business.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2017, 21:40 Razumen

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 18:03:
UWP as a Walled Garden

Microsoft would be fucking retarded to let UWP become the basis of building a walled garden. Likewise, they would be committing suicide if they dropped Win32: there's simply too much software, both legacy and current, running on it. Microsoft has been acting smarter as of late, so there's reason to hope that UWP simply becomes a better end-user applications level API that makes Windows software development more palatable to the engineers tasked with doing it. On the other hand, Microsoft's history gives plenty of precedent for assuming that they'll do the stupid, shoot-self-in-the-foot thing.

UWP already functions as a basis for a walled garden, blocking off program data EVEN FROM THE SYSTEM ADMIN. Granted, this is a default behaviour and can be changed on a per basis by developer, but the precedent is already there that MS wants to lock its own paying users out of the programs they paid for.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
20. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 21:10 Razumen

jimnms wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 19:56:
Razumen wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 19:25:
Guys, these are game DEVELOPER's awards. Innovation can mean things other than gameplay, and in this case, although NMS is itself a bad GAME, the underlying technology IS still actually pretty innovative.

What's so innovative about it? It's basically a shitty knockoff of Space Engine with a story tacked on.

Why don't you do some research and actually inform yourself? The way it procedurally generates, textures and animates its creations is quite impressive, if you actually took the time to look into it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Mar 2, 2017, 21:08 Razumen

But will we still only have one skill per player?

Knowing Gearbox, probably.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
17. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 19:25 Razumen

Guys, these are game DEVELOPER's awards. Innovation can mean things other than gameplay, and in this case, although NMS is itself a bad GAME, the underlying technology IS still actually pretty innovative.  

News Comments > MINECRAFT Exploration Update Plans
4. Re: MINECRAFT Exploration Update Plans Oct 20, 2016, 02:43 Razumen

However easy you claim it to be, any extra step from vanilla is still a lot more than most people are willing to bother with.

Besides, arguing against improvements to the base game because there might be a mod that does the same thing or better is just idiotic.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
285. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 7, 2016, 00:52 Razumen

shiho wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 00:45:
Razumen wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 23:03:
Lol, it's funny that you accuse me of lacking content, because everything you've said so far about Classic Shell is complete hearsay. And yet with some googling, I've found nothing to back up what you're claiming about Classic Shell, other than there was a hacked installer that compromised people's machines when they installed the W10 Anniversary Release: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6434

I'm well aware of the hack, and it has nothing to do with the issue. Win10's compatibility framework doesn't detect malware installers.

So, what makes it hearsay is that only this person posted about this problem?

http://www.osnews.com/story/29332/Anniversary_Update_hides_programs_forces_Skype_on_users

Well, here's another one for you:
http://betanews.com/2016/08/02/windows-10-anniversary-update-start-menu-2/#comment-2819702402

I bet for most people it's a minor issue, they don't yet understand what this kind of control really means, so they don't bother reporting it.

But I fully expect to hear more complaints about MS disabling people's software as Win10 continues to bulldoze user trust.

Enjoy the ride. I'm done wasting time on this thread.

So MS disabling a program that doesn't work with their update is an attack? sounds like they're actually doing their job, instead of just, you know, letting it crash or causing other unwanted problems.

Oh, I weep for the poor uninformed masses.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
283. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Aug 6, 2016, 23:03 Razumen

shiho wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 22:40:
Razumen wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 21:23:
MS doesn't and quite literally CAN'T prevent every application from having problems when they update something. Saying that they "attacked" Classic Shell when it most likely was a victim of unintended consequences is quite literally a tinfoil hat conspiracy.

We don't know if that version of Classic Shell had "problems" with the Anniversary Update, and what their actual severity was, because someone at Microsoft manually entered it into an "incompatibility database" which disabled it and made it unsearchable in Start Menu.

Maybe the only problem would've been that you can't swap the taskbar icons, or that the systray icons are in the wrong order.

Now all that agency is taken away from the user, because Microsoft DECIDES and ENFORCES what's compatible and what's not.

So regardless of their motives toward Classic Shell specifically, regardless of even the program that's being affected, it is an attack, and it's not an innocent software conflict that happened without human intervention.

If such displays of Microsoft's totalitarian control over your system do not make you wary, then, well, how do I put it without insulting your intellectual capacity... I really can't.

For this, and most of your other claims, Occam's Razor gives a much better idea of what's going on.

Lazy content-free retort. As to be expected.

Lol, it's funny that you accuse me of lacking content, because everything you've said so far about Classic Shell is complete hearsay. And yet with some googling, I've found nothing to back up what you're claiming about Classic Shell, other than there was a hacked installer that compromised people's machines when they installed the W10 Anniversary Release: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6434

645 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo