Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for lthecakeisalie

Real Name lthecakeisalie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname thecakeisalie
Email Concealed by request
Description Gaming since the 70s
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 12, 2010, 13:37
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 55592

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated

8. Re: The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated Jan 16, 2017, 15:14 thecakeisalie

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 14:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 13:58:
I played Repopulation last night with my wife.

I'm guessing it ended in game over because your skill at repopulating wasn't high enough to complete the task.

Well...to be fair, RNG is a factor. And it's not like you can't play it again until you win. In fact, replaying the game is definitely more fun than winning.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated Jan 16, 2017, 13:53 thecakeisalie

Crucifix wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 13:13:
Wait, so the original developers had an arguement with Idea Fabrik over the HeroEngine (saying it was shit) causing them to shut down the game over a year ago while they ported the game to Unreal Engine 4, only to now sell the game to the very company they separated from who will most likely continue to use the gimpy engine ?

What the hell?

And Project Genom is not any better. Their are hardly ANY people playing anymore (i think about 40 in total), there has not been a single update in MONTHS, there has been a dispute with the main programmer causing Steam the temp. remove in from the store over copyright issues.

Talk about another fail...

Wut? It's still available for sale and it even allowed me to add it to my cart...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389040/

Although the discussion forum agrees with you that the game hasn't seen any kind of update in a long time and the playerbase is pretty much kaput, I didn't see any references to any kind of dispute over copyright. Where did you get that info? As someone who was looking at this game as a potential buy at one point, I'm interested to know more.

3. Re: The Repopulation Sold; To be Repopulated Jan 16, 2017, 13:00 thecakeisalie

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:31:
And that's why you don't crowdfund MMOs.

Crowdfunding any game except from a company that has been proven to deliver in the past (e.g. inExile) is foolhardy at best. Even the games that actually wind up getting released tend to be crap or even unfinished or just keep selling JPG ships and sucker people on even after missing deadlines by years.

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans

47. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Plans Jan 14, 2017, 16:12 thecakeisalie

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 10:21:
thecakeisalie wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 09:59:
I have the best Microsoft Windows "Game Mode" setup right now. It's called Windows 7 Professional with all of the non-essential bloat removed and on a SSD boot drive. Works beautifully.
OMG OMG OMG, You don't have DirectX 12 for the 4 games that only run on it. Whatever are you to do?

I know right? Time to end it all I guess... /wrists

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans

41. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Plans Jan 14, 2017, 09:59 thecakeisalie

I have the best Microsoft Windows "Game Mode" setup right now. It's called Windows 7 Professional with all of the non-essential bloat removed and on a SSD boot drive. Works beautifully.  

News Comments > For Honor Closed Beta This Month

6. Re: For Honor Closed Beta This Month Jan 11, 2017, 15:07 thecakeisalie

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 12:33:
Thecakeisalie is not lying here. This game is complete garbage on the PC. Caveat emptor.

I wouldn't say it's complete garbage but it's plainly obvious that this game was designed primarily for the console and ported to the PC as a lazy afterthought. Ubisoft also doesn't have the best track record of late with PC games (e.g. The Division) so yeah, caveat emptor, like you said. I REALLY hope people learned something from this past year and don't pre-order and actually wait for the reviews.

News Comments > For Honor Closed Beta This Month

3. Re: For Honor Closed Beta This Month Jan 11, 2017, 09:49 thecakeisalie

Poor balance, input lag, Peer-to-Peer networking for multiplayer on PC and a control scheme that is a bit wonky with mouse and keyboard. Basically, it has a near terminal case of consolitis. It seems much more suited towards consoles and control controllers and the Peer-to-Peer networking model would have less impact with consoles I think vs PC.

Personally, I would wait for the reviews before picking this up. I didn't enjoy the brief time I was able to play in a previous playtest on PC. It's possible that they may have fixed some of the issues that people pointed out back then but I'd advise waiting.

News Comments > etc., etc.

3. Re: etc., etc. Jan 10, 2017, 01:41 thecakeisalie

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 20:33:
Jpeg evidence was enough to fund the game so it should be enough to provide evidence of cheating.

It burns....

News Comments > Overwatch Nerfs Detailed

15. Re: Overwatch Nerfs Detailed Jan 6, 2017, 18:20 thecakeisalie

I get the impression that interest in this game waned pretty quickly. Few of my Battlenet friends play this game anymore. They practically all own it but almost no one plays (at least not more than the odd game here and there). I played a couple games of Quick Play during the Christmas event and realized that matchmaking still sucks (e.g. getting dumped into losing games that are almost over) and haven't bothered since.

I don't understand how this game won "Game of the Year". It's not terrible, but it had no staying power with anyone I know. Rocket League, however, is a different story. People I know that gave up on Overwatch are still playing Rocket League and enjoying it.

News Comments > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Pulled

3. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Pulled Jan 6, 2017, 04:27 thecakeisalie

They know it's a turd so they pulled it giving them an excuse to abandon any poor sucker that bought it from any future support or anyone who foolishly buys a physical copy.

Activision has taken EA's spot as the king of sleazy game companies.

News Comments > More For Honor Heroes Revealed

2. Re: More For Honor Heroes Revealed Jan 6, 2017, 04:17 thecakeisalie

From what I've heard of the gameplay Ubisoft is aiming at the esports crowd. Very twitch. If you're an older gamer you will struggle badly with this game. Input lag makes blocking/defense difficult, favoring quickly moving heroes (assassin types) and attacking. Unbalanced heroes make this worse. Terminal case of Consolitis too and all the tell-tale signs of a lazy port. The game actually plays better on PC with a controller vs keyboard/mouse. The only real advantage to PC will being able to macro the cheesiest combos. PC online matchmaking is going to be Peer-to-Peer which is awful and extremely cheap/lazy in this day and age with the host having an unfair advantage.

It might do well on consoles but I have a feeling it's going to crash and burn on the PC, if even just due to the input lag issues and forced Peer-to-Peer instead of proper servers.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2017, 06:54 thecakeisalie

Note to self - do NOT buy any LG appliances from this day forward, even if they claim they don't have wireless.  

News Comments > New Overwatch Map Launches

7. Re: New Overwatch Map Launches Jan 4, 2017, 12:05 thecakeisalie

I quit a long time ago. Came back briefly for a few games over Christmas during the event and ran into a lot of the same BS that drove me off before. Being matched with people way, way beyond my skill level and Kill Cams that didn't resemble anything like what I saw on my screen being 2 examples. Them supposedly upping the tick rate didn't really fix the issues with desynchronization. Balance still feels off too.

Ah well. I'm glad some people enjoy the game but it's just not for me. Definitely didn't deserve Game of the Year, that's for sure.

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up

34. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 01:59 thecakeisalie

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 21:04:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 15:59:
favorite comment from phobos512
Here's the thing. Back in the day we'd have heard about this game as a sentence in a magazine article/interview ("working on something really neat," etc.). There would've been rumors for months to years and eventually a full page ad buy and then an article. And then it would've come out. Instead we follow the entire process every step of the way and we are enabled to know and criticize everything. It's a complete paradigm shift and it's hard because people are so damned impatient.

One other minor difference: you wouldn't have paid a cent before it came out either.

The publishers who funded the game would have been all up in CR's grill, with timed milestones, preview builds, constant updates, etc. But, CR already has your money, and he could declare tomorrow that the game was done as it is and you couldn't do a thing about it. There are fewer checks on CR now than there ever have been. Some people celebrate that. Some are terrified by it.

I think people are more justified being terrified, especially if they are in for thousands. I'm only in for a basic package and I feel like I've been ripped off. CR has missed every deadline he, himself, has set. Every. Single. One. He's made a lot of dodgy and questionable decisions and refuses to provide a proper accounting of how he's spent our money. Yes, our money. Reports from employees leaving his company are not promising. The self-proclaimed Internet Warlord, Derek Smart, is looking more and more like he called it right when he said that CR was too incompetent to manage a project of the bloated scope that he allowed SC to become.

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers

24. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers Dec 24, 2016, 18:23 thecakeisalie

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 17:18:
Bwwwwaaaaaahhhhhahahahahahahahahahaaaahahahahaaaaaa...

Oh man...

What a clusterfuck of monumental proportions. So, this is apparently their admission that -as predicted by many- they simply can't hack the netcode then isn't it?

It will be quite interesting to find out how this will affect development from here on out. The next predictable changes will most likely be downscaling and outright feature cuts due to AWS/Lumberyard limitations.

Oh well, my download just finished so gonna check out the latest 2.6 trainwreck by myself. It is apparently too much to handle for AWS to properly download the client in one go as the download stopped about 50MB short of completion and only finished on resuming so I'm not exactly hopeful to be entertained much. Shit's buggy as fuck at the launcher stage already (which is business as usual).
I'm also not impressed that the graphics options still boil down to 'low', 'medium', 'high', 'very high' etc. without any more refined options to turn certain features on or off. Come on. After 4+ years there should be at least a rudimentary menu for more detailed graphics options.

The whole package what we have here is a sad joke for 4+ years of development but that's what happens when approximately 3 years were wasted on making pretty JPEGs for sales and "cool" trailers'n'demos for embarrassing (live) shows and conventions in order to keep the money train rolling. The even sadder part is that idiots actually keep supporting this shit "development model" (LOL).

I'm not hopeful either. This change might be a positive one from a development point of view, but they are woefully behind their targets without even a single playable mission of Squadron 42 available. The increasing desperation that they are showing trying to peddle more JPG ships makes me think that they are finally running out of money.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin

22. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 17:32 thecakeisalie

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 16:44:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 15:51:
I'm probably going to buy:

Abzu
Creeper World 3
Double Dragon:Neon
Enter the Gungeon
Livelock
Deserts of Kharak(Discount for owning Homeworld Remastered)
We Are the Dwarves

Debating getting Deus Ex for $19.79 or whatever it is now.

Also debating picking up Descent:Undergound and Overload to support the indies, but both of those projects seem pretty far from completion.

I can no longer use the key resellers, chance is way too high they are bought with stolen credit cards.

Wow, that Abzu game looks amazing. Thanks, haven't even heard of that before.

If you get a chance, The Long Dark is another gem in the rough. I really enjoy that game.

News Comments > Descent: Underground in Development on GOG.com

13. Re: Descent: Underground in Development on GOG.com Dec 21, 2016, 15:25 thecakeisalie

Although I have a lot of respect for GOG, I don't think I would back this. I've been burned by a lot of Steam Greenlight games and recently by a couple of EA games sponsored by Greenmangaming. Before that, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, ArcheAge, Mechwarrior Online to name a few. I'm DONE backing EA/Kickstarter games. I've been burned a few too many times and I only have cold cynicism left in my heart for them.  

News Comments > Asheron's Call Games Ending

2. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 20:35 thecakeisalie

My second MMO and one of my all-time favorites, Asheron's Call will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm sad to see it go. Hopefully, they will release the source code to the community so the game can live on in some form or another.

If they are divesting themselves of all their MMOs, what is Turbine going to be left working on? Is WB going to shut down the studio?

News Comments > For Honor P2P Complaints and Dedicated Server Petition

11. Re: For Honor P2P Complaints and Dedicated Server Petition Dec 19, 2016, 15:09 thecakeisalie

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:11:
Some of the connection and networking problems that players have experienced and perceived as consequences of that architecture are rather linked to the fact that we’re still in development.

Once the game is released, this blurb will be changed to

Some of the connection and networking problems that players have experienced and perceived as consequences of that architecture are rather all in their imagination.

Ubisoft would apparently rather die than make dedicated servers.

They want to keep the PC port as cheap as possible. P2P works on consoles. Adding dedicated servers for PC would mean a rework of the networking model for PCs and I expect they aren't relying on PC sales to carry this game. Even the game controls are all much more friendly to a controller vs mouse and keyboard (it's easier to pull off combos, etc and even block unless you use macros).

News Comments > For Honor P2P Complaints and Dedicated Server Petition

10. Re: For Honor P2P Complaints and Dedicated Server Petition Dec 19, 2016, 14:57 thecakeisalie

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:54:
Ok first off they have Alpha forms (same as they did for Steep, and The Division). Secondly it's called a TECHNICAL ALPHA TEST. Thirdly they did break the NDA.

And as for an idea of how the game will play, Ubisoft has ran open beta tests for the majority of their recent releases that heavily feature Multiplayer. Ghost Recon Wildlands (just had a Tech Alpha and will have an open beta), The Crew, The Division, For Honor.

And from what I understand (or have only seen) For Honor is multiplayer only.

Not quite true. You can play solo vs bots in all game modes. However, if you want to play the campaign and earn the best rewards and salvage, you need to play co-op vs bots or PVP.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2016, 15:06.

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >