Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for lthecakeisalie

Real Name lthecakeisalie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname thecakeisalie
Email Concealed by request
Description Gaming since the 70s
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 12, 2010, 13:37
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 55592

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Online Updated

19. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 20:31 thecakeisalie

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 18:17:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 13:58:
How about they finally fix CONCORD and curb the suicide ganking and exploiting? CODE and Goonswarm were making it almost impossible for many traders to get through the "choke point" systems which, despite being major commerce routes, were barely high-sec. And why are pirates allowed in high security space without being podded by CONCORD and NPC military units again? What is the point of having high security space if it's not really high security? Why don't stations refuse docking to pirates in high security space? Why are they coddled at the expense of PVE players? EVE's dev team and admins constantly screw over their PVE player base. No wonder the game is slowly dying.

Before I quit again they had suicide gankers and griefers actually attacking newbies in the newbie systems, which is supposed to be bannable yet I never saw anyone actually banned for it. No wonder people don't stick around.

I think those problems are a hell of a lot more pressing than adding some flashy new graphics and a few new ships, most of which seem only useful to Alliances or PVP gangs. They're just slapping lipstick on the pig.

And you've just describes so very aptly why EVE has always been, and will always be, a niche game. Had they never allowed that silliness they would have had a huge hit on their hands. Oh well, their loss.

Yep. The best way to describe CCPs attitude towards their player base who try to engage in PVE content is pure contempt. With that attitude, they will never grow EVE beyond being a niche market. If Star Citizen actually does see the light of day with their massive universe and they don't have CCPs bias towards griefers and pirates, EVE's days will be numbered.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 20:15 thecakeisalie

ZeroPike1 wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 14:09:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 13:58:
How about they finally fix CONCORD and curb the suicide ganking and exploiting? CODE and Goonswarm were making it almost impossible for many traders to get through the "choke point" systems which, despite being major commerce routes, were barely high-sec. And why are pirates allowed in high security space without being podded by CONCORD and NPC military units again? What is the point of having high security space if it's not really high security? Why don't stations refuse docking to pirates in high security space? Why are they coddled at the expense of PVE players? EVE's dev team and admins constantly screw over their PVE player base. No wonder the game is slowly dying.

My wife sits on a Goonswarm fleet that takes care of problems. There a pretty impressive outfit and rule there sections of the EVE galaxy. The main problem and even i see it sitting here watching it. That there is no corp that stands up against the current Goonswarm alliance. Reminding you though its a PVP game, and she tells me they do not run High-sec ganking roams.

And I can tell you that, at the time I quit about 6-7 months ago, that Goonswarm flunkies were working with CODE (some of whom admitted to having mains or alts in Goonswarm) to make it extremely unpleasant to mission run, trade or mine in high sec space. Suicide ganking of PVE players was out of control and just kept getting worse by the day. Newbies were even being ganked in newbie systems. Maybe not by Goonswarm but by alts of CODE maybe. It was bad. Very bad. Maybe the sociopaths and pirates were having fun but from the complaints I was reading in some of the channels, a lot of people were fed up, especially newbies. Finally, I just said screw it and left myself. It just wasn't worth it.

4. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 13:58 thecakeisalie

Before I quit again they had suicide gankers and griefers actually attacking newbies in the newbie systems, which is supposed to be bannable yet I never saw anyone actually banned for it. No wonder people don't stick around.

I think those problems are a hell of a lot more pressing than adding some flashy new graphics and a few new ships, most of which seem only useful to Alliances or PVP gangs. They're just slapping lipstick on the pig.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Content Plans

24. Re: Overwatch Free Content Plans Dec 8, 2015, 07:49 thecakeisalie

InBlack wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 05:22:
If the game is good, and the unlocks (characters, upgrades or weapons) are not paid DLC then Im fine with it not being free to play. Im just worried that Blizzard will have a hard time attracting players to a paid pure multiplayer game that is basically a revamped Team Fortress. Then again this is Blizzard we are talking about and they keep proving everyone wrong over and over again with their business models.

Everyone I know who played the game (even my wife who isn't really an FPS gamer) has loved it with the sole criticism that the game is a little too twitchy and needs the pacing dialed back a tiny amount. I think it'll do well.

23. Re: Overwatch Free Content Plans Dec 8, 2015, 07:42 thecakeisalie

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 07:21:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:12:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:03:
It's a little too fast-paced at the moment. If they can tune it down a notch to give the non-twitch and slightly over-the-hill (e.g. 30+) gaming crowd a chance, it'll be a great game.

I always hate this criticism. I've played with 50 year olds that can still twitch. I'll be 30 this year, I'm at the top of my twitch game. I don't doubt there is some science behind reaction speeds and what not, but please for the love of god don't slow down my MP FPS... That Doom reboot is looking slow as fuck.

42 here and have no problem with twitch shooters (the faster the game the more of an edge i seem to have). Anyways, as an old school gamer, i'm worried about matchmaking. I've already said that if anyone has the infrastructure to do it right, its Blizzard. Matchmaking feels like a step backward to me so any comments on how its been thus far would be greatly appreciated..

I'm 43 and I've noticed a marked decline in my ability to keep up in games that are too fast paced. Science also agrees with me (our reaction time peaks at age 24 and declines after). I can compensate for this lack of reaction time with wiles (being an old-school Quake 2/Tribes/DOOM/CS player) but I can see people not at the top of the curve struggling with Overwatch in it's current form. Some characters have instant-kill abilities that are hard to dodge if you don't have twitch reflexes.

22. Re: Overwatch Free Content Plans Dec 8, 2015, 07:39 thecakeisalie

Sepharo wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:12:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:03:
It's a little too fast-paced at the moment. If they can tune it down a notch to give the non-twitch and slightly over-the-hill (e.g. 30+) gaming crowd a chance, it'll be a great game.

I always hate this criticism. I've played with 50 year olds that can still twitch. I'll be 30 this year, I'm at the top of my twitch game. I don't doubt there is some science behind reaction speeds and what not, but please for the love of god don't slow down my MP FPS... That Doom reboot is looking slow as fuck.

Science disagrees with you - http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0094215

9. Re: Overwatch Free Content Plans Dec 7, 2015, 22:03 thecakeisalie

I managed to try it during one of the stress testing events and it was surprisingly good. They took a lot of the best stuff from a lot of different shooters with the most heavy influence being TF2. It's a little too fast-paced at the moment. If they can tune it down a notch to give the non-twitch and slightly over-the-hill (e.g. 30+) gaming crowd a chance, it'll be a great game.  

News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?

22. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 27, 2015, 18:51 thecakeisalie

Kajetan wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 18:28:
Retired wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 18:22:
People need to calm down.
Yes, calm down. Just some companies doing illegal stuff. Nothing here to see, walk away, walk away.

The problem is, in our society, people do that far too often and the newer generations are being conditioned to expect being ripped off by companies and corporate malfeasance as facts of life. I fear for our kids and their kids.

News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?

12. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 27, 2015, 17:29 thecakeisalie

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 17:11:
Yup. Three strikes system. Do it once - *slap*. Do it twice - *smaaaack*. Do it a third time - ***KABOOOOOOMMMMM*** knothxbuuuhhhbye go sell your shit elsewhere.

Wouldn't Valve actually have to be the ones to put the new price up on the game's page on Steam? They should know about any game developer trying to pull this in advance and should disallow it. The fact that they allowed the publishers to do this doesn't speak well for Valve.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Open Beta Begins

12. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Open Beta Begins Nov 27, 2015, 17:16 thecakeisalie

The microtransaction BS and lack of single player make it overpriced for what you get. None of my friends are getting it because of the microtransactions and the retarded amount of grinding you need to do later on if you want to unlock the new operatives they will be releasing. Also, their point packs don't give you many points for the cash.

It just reeks of them combining a free-to-play business model while charging the full AAA title price for the game. Greedy suits making the calls on game design are really hurting this industry.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Apology

16. Re: PAYDAY 2 Apology Nov 23, 2015, 19:02 thecakeisalie

I skipped the video and got the Coles notes from the comments. It was the longest, most drawn out non-apology in history apparently. Developers like this don't deserve your money. Dishonesty shouldn't be rewarded.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam

5. Re: MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam Nov 14, 2015, 12:29 thecakeisalie

warmbluelasers wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 11:38:
I can't wait for the deluge of negative and hilarious steam reviews of this "game."

It'll definitely be /popcorn worthy. I haven't played it in a long time. If it's still the buggy pay-to-win mess it was the last time I loaded it up, it'll get ripped to shreds.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam

1. Re: MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam Nov 14, 2015, 11:28 thecakeisalie

I bought into the hype and their milking of my love of Battletech and the old Mechwarrior series and invested in their top end founder pack back in the day.

Imagine my horror when I discovered that no only did I barely get anything for it, but they immediately began churning out super expensive premium packs for everything shortly after launch (which was rough - balance issues, buggy, netcode issues, lag). I quickly got disillusioned and stopped playing as did all of my friends who supported the game.

I still get spam from them and it almost invariably includes a constant barrage of premium vehicle bundles that cost more than a AAA title and they almost always engage in what I call "pre-order blackmail" because the pre-order incentives give you a bit too much compared to most normal pre-order offers.

It's depressing to think what they could have done with this IP but failed to do so.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2015, 11:33.

News Comments > Mordheim: City of the Damned Campaign Trailer

6. Re: Mordheim: City of the Damned Campaign Trailer Nov 12, 2015, 18:49 thecakeisalie

JoeNapalm wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 15:39:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 13:47:
This looks pretty interesting, actually. What's with the suddenly(seemingly) interest in Mordheim/Warhammer Rat Bashing games?

If I recall, when THQ went under, the license went up for grabs.

Presto. Couple years of dev time later, new WH games.

Here's to their success. I always loved WH, and it's a shame that Blizz has always somehow managed to make uber-bank on shamelessly doing brightly-colored optimistic Warhammer.

-Jn-

Indeed. Warcraft Orcs and Humans = Warhammer (Empire/Wood Elves/Dwarves vs Greenskins) and Starcraft = Warhammer 40k. Terrans = Space Marines, Zerg = Tyranids and Protoss = Eldar.

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources

50. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 3, 2015, 12:59 thecakeisalie

Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 23:04:
History is replete with examples of people who simply could not accept the fate of something...

- Passengers on the Titanic
- Adolf Hitler towards the end of World War 2
- White people not wanting to grant basic civil rights to African-Americans (i.e. voting)
- Emperor Honorious watching the Visigoths cresting over the seventh hill (the Roman Empire was about to fall)
- General Custard Custer (My bad :))
- Banks, Investment firms and Rating Agencies in 2008
- Flagship Studios

I would like to add a new group to this list:

- Star Citizen "White Knight" backers

From this moment on anyone who continues to blindly support Star Citizen and Cloud Imperium Game without a modicum of doubt should no longer be worth anybody's time. They have effectively become the Hitler Downfall video meme.

I literally LOL'd. Well played sir. Well played. Might want to add the Duke Nukem Forever cultists to this list.

News Comments > Hearthstone Power Inflation Addressed

7. Re: Hearthstone Power Inflation Addressed Sep 10, 2015, 10:54 thecakeisalie

Slashman wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 10:28:
How about the Dota 2 route where you only sell cosmetic stuff? Card backs, avatars, arenas etc.

Give everyone an equal chance to get cards.

They'd still make money this way, but not as much money. The new Blizzard would never go for this. It's too big of a cash cow at the moment. If their sales dry up and people start leaving en masse, they might reconsider, or else they'll double-down and milk the players they have left even more, with a lot of cross-promotions with their other games to try to keep them ensnared.

5. Re: Hearthstone Power Inflation Addressed Sep 10, 2015, 10:20 thecakeisalie

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 10:10:
InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 09:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 09:46:
Implement proper SP only leagues with card pack rewards not locked behind a paywall... how about that? Hearthstone is REALLY really grindy now.

SP only leagues? Huh? SP as in Single Player?

Yeah, themed AI enemies from the lore that you face of in an Arena style battle, 2 modes, Constructed and Arena. In a sort of league, so you compete in a football style match-making best of 32 for the top spot. Winning that gets you X card packs. Now wouldn't that make people actually PLAY the game rather than just skip it once they realize PvP for a free to play player is now totally broken?

All I want is a game like HS without the online PvP crap. For a casual player, the latest expansion really, REALLY, broke the game. And remember, EU b.net the user number situation is different. You have a good chance to be matched against a good player even if you are not.

Don't forget that, especially at the start of each "season" (i.e. month), a lot of good players using cheese decks deliberately throw games (e.g. concede immediately) and bust their ratings down so they get matched up against newbies for quick matches and easy gold farming. They can rake in a small fortune in gold (the in-game currency) doing this. They then get serious about trying to boost their rating, if they care, later in the month. Obviously, this is more than a little rough on newbies. However, Blizzard's system allows these experienced players to do this and farm new players with impunity.

3. Re: Hearthstone Power Inflation Addressed Sep 10, 2015, 09:52 thecakeisalie

The people complaining aren't wrong. Anyone just starting out and who is free-to-play with the starting allotment of cards is screwed if they try to PvP. They will get absolutely crushed by people using cheese decks built using the new mechanics and cards in the 2 expansions. Hell, I don't have all the cards from the new expansion and I get crushed by Inspire-inspired ultra cheese decks.

It's a pretty nasty way to ensure people spend cash. You can't make gold to buy Arena keys or packs unless you win. You can't win unless you have the new cards (and lots of them). Power creep forces people to buy packs to keep ahead of the curve or else suffer through a LOT of losses and grinding until you can earn enough gold. Most people will buy the packs rather than being trampled.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released

119. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 21:59 thecakeisalie

dsmart wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 07:22:
My 100% ehtical and 99.9% unbiased review.

Good read as always Derek. Ignore the haters. A growing number of people are starting to question CIG's business decisions. While not all might agree with you that the game is doomed to fail, I think most sensible people want accountability from them.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released

42. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 01:15 thecakeisalie

ZeroPike1 wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 00:25:
Honestly it looks kinda cool, it would be a ton of fun for RP. But RP is not what this game is selling... or maybe it is. If this Hub world is a sign of where there going its going to be a Space Cowboy's love story. Except in an MMO setting with no AI or story plot beyond what you make yourself.

I'm starting to feel sad for this game, I've gone past cynical now.

I'm one of the original backers and I must say that I'm starting to get pretty skeptical. 4 years is a long time, especially when you get into your 40s and 50s, which no doubt many of the backers of the game are. I'd prefer to see a working game made that I can enjoy while I still have the reflexes and eyesight (and heartbeat) to do so.

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >