Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for lthecakeisalie

Real Name lthecakeisalie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname thecakeisalie
Email Concealed by request
Description Gaming since the 70s
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 12, 2010, 13:37
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 55592

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > For Honor Details

5. Re: For Honor Details Aug 19, 2016, 20:16 thecakeisalie

Been burned with my last 2 UbiSoft pre-orders. Overhyped and under-delivered. I don't think I can bring myself to give them a 3rd chance with this game even if the combat looks interesting.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Umbrella Corps Weekend

2. Re: Free Umbrella Corps Weekend Aug 19, 2016, 20:10 thecakeisalie

Darks wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 20:09:
Their desperate to get you to play with this turd. Dont do it!

Yep. Horribad reviews. Overall, i seems like it's not worth your time or bandwidth to download it for the "free" trial.

News Comments > Game Reviews

7. Re: Game Reviews Aug 16, 2016, 18:12 thecakeisalie

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 15:47:
@thecakeisalie

I simultaneously agreed and disagreed with everything you wrote, if that makes any sense.

Here's how I see it.

So you will notice in interviews shortly after the 2014 E3 announcement Sean was asked if the game had multiplayer, and his answers were definite yeses. However, over time, if you watch his reaction and answers he became more hesitant.

I am pretty sure what happened was Hello Games had committed themselves to working on multiplayer. However, over time, they decided -- given the massive scope of NMS, and because 99% of the players would not see another person -- they decided to divert resources away from it. It did not necessarily mean they stopped working on it, but put it on hold, and likely in another Dev branch labeled "NMSMPDev01."

I think doing this caused a two-fold problem. First, because HG did not definitively kill multiplayer development, they were unable or maybe unwilling to give a definitive "No. Single player" answers. Second, Hello Games primarily advertised the game through interviews, through social media, through videos, through news articles, and they did this with absolutely no dedicated PR person. Sean is many things but a good PR person he is not.

We know having a professional PR person is vital for a successful AAA-Hype launch. Without one we were hammered with situations like Sean Murray publically announcing a 3-day delay on a Friday, the week before launch. On a global release not telling anyone in which time zone the game would be released in until several hours before in a random AMA that wasn't properly promoted across social channels, GOG, and Steam. Had Hello Games had a proper PR person I believe they would have handled things MUCH better. This would have included knowing the game was single-player and informing people months ago that it would launch as a single-player experience.

So I guess the TL;DR point I am trying to make is that I do not believe Sean necessarily lied, he just did a horrible job of PR. He should stick with his strengths and leave PR to a professional. Now that the studio has LOTS of money coming in the first thing they should do is hire a PR person, because they need damage control.

I am perfectly willing to accept I am wrong, but that is my take. If you disagree feel free to let me know, but please do so respectfully. Thank you.

If the developer wasn't lying from the get-go, there should have been some evidence of multiplayer in the binaries. There was none. I doubt this feature ever made it off the drawing board. Point is, he kept being deliberately misleading or vague until he could no longer do so. Also, omission of the truth when you know the truth but the truth is not known to others is still considering by all definitions as lying.

There is still no excuse for what Sony did with the copyright strikes or for the astroturfing to try to soften the blow of the initial bad reviews to try to get as many sales as possible before people realized they'd been had.

TL;DR - Sean Murray is a fucking douchebag for lying to his customers and the fans of the game to avoid pre-order cancellations and lost revenue.

News Comments > Game Reviews

4. Re: Game Reviews Aug 16, 2016, 15:11 thecakeisalie

Regarding the Ars Technica review of "No Man's Sky"

Apart from the fact that the game is charging a AAA price, the developer LIED about multiplayer until almost the day of release on the PS4. People have dug apart the binaries and there is no evidence of multiplayer at all apart from what looks like the rudimentary model for what a player might look like. That's how badly they lied.

Also, Sony was abusing their power and issuing copyright strikes prior to the PS4 launch to anyone critical of the game on Youtube.

Sony or Hello Games was shown, on Reddit, to have brought in astroturfers to try to bolster the reviews of the game on Metacritic (screenshots of users all posting the same review verbatim with 10/10 ratings).

The game, on PC, was released in a broken state by the developers and it's plainly just a shoddy port of the PS4 version, which was at least partially funded by Sony.

In all, this game leaves a foul taste in the mouth. Any self-respecting consumer shouldn't be rewarding this kind of fuckery from any company. What's to stop other companies from looking at the runaway success of what these douchebags did and just copy it to hype their way into millions themselves with a shitty product?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released

62. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 13:56 thecakeisalie

NKD wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 11:29:
thecakeisalie wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 10:41:
NKD wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 05:33:
Saw this on reddit. Apparently Metacritic is getting bombed with fake positive reviews.

One guy made the joke that the user reviews are procedurally generated.

They probably hired some astroturfing company out of Russia or some other dark corner that specializes in social media. I posted on an MMO forum about the game and got attacked by someone who almost literally copy/pasted the same bullshit response to any criticism of the game.

They are just trying to Correct The Record (TM)!!

If a company has to stoop to this level of douchebaggery, they are shady as fuck and have no ethics at all. If you screwed up with your product, suck it up, take your licks, then own up to your mistake and do your best to fix it. Don't hire astroturfers to propagandize your broken product and attack people who are legitimately pissed off about the poor quality of said product. I might have given them some leeway or benefit of the doubt before they went the astroturfing route. Now, I will never give them a cent of my money and won't buy the game at any price.

PS - How can people defend this company now? They've lied to sell pre-orders, created a half-arsed and poorly tested console port and hired astroturfers to try to sucker people into buying the game despite all this by rigging social media to say their product isn't broken. I just don't understand.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2016, 14:02.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released

54. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 10:41 thecakeisalie

NKD wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 05:33:
Saw this on reddit. Apparently Metacritic is getting bombed with fake positive reviews.

One guy made the joke that the user reviews are procedurally generated.

They probably hired some astroturfing company out of Russia or some other dark corner that specializes in social media. I posted on an MMO forum about the game and got attacked by someone who almost literally copy/pasted the same bullshit response to any criticism of the game.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds

59. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 21:29 thecakeisalie

Man, you'd think developers would learn already the releasing a non-optimized console port and/or lying to your customers are bad business practices guaranteed to generate a ton of ill will and trigger requests for refunds. I'm glad I wasn't a sucker and didn't pre-order this game.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Getting More Anti-Cheat Protection

1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Getting More Anti-Cheat Protection Aug 10, 2016, 19:25 thecakeisalie

BattleEye can be circumvented, although it's supposedly one of the better anti-cheat packages out there.  

News Comments > Overwatch Season 1 Ends Soon

8. Re: Rank is so broken.... Aug 6, 2016, 15:00 thecakeisalie

Yifes wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 11:18:
thecakeisalie wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 10:19:
Are you confusing rank with level? They are different. Your level is independent of your SR ranking and it really only used to determine your portrait and control the rate at which you gain "free" loot boxes. SR 74 as a solo player doesn't sound possible to me.

SR 74 as solo is absolutely possible if you're good enough. Here's C9 Surefour hitting SR 78 straight out of placement matches at lvl 26 on his alt, playing pure solo: https://www.twitch.tv/surefour/v/75913731

He climbs by himself to ~SR 81.

Don't blame the matchmaking or groups or your teammates for your low rank. If you've played enough games, you're exactly where you deserve to be.

Surefour was busted using an aimbot after one of his streams was analyzed. Yeah if you are a pro-gamer and/or cheat getting to any rank is possible. If you're not a pro-gamer and/or don't cheat, not so much.

News Comments > Overwatch Season 1 Ends Soon

6. Re: Rank is so broken.... Aug 6, 2016, 10:19 thecakeisalie

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 23:06:
ELITE wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 19:23:
The whole ranking system is a joke.
Unless you play with a team of people you know - the whole ranking system is frustrating.

A buddy of mine got up to level 74 playing exclusively in solo queue. Thought that was pretty damn impressive. Once you get to a certain level you tend to see a lot more teamwork and communication, even playing with mostly solo players.

Are you confusing rank with level? They are different. Your level is independent of your SR ranking and it really only used to determine your portrait and control the rate at which you gain "free" loot boxes. SR 74 as a solo player doesn't sound possible to me.

News Comments > Stronghold Kingdoms Steam Edition Revealed

2. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Steam Edition Revealed Jul 26, 2016, 19:36 thecakeisalie

My advice to anyone thinking of playing this game is that it is pay-to-win and soul-slurping. You can be attacked 24/7 and during wartime, don't expect to get sleep unless you account-share (which is against the rules but well-paying customers are rarely banned for this). Also there are a lot of man-children and sociopaths in the game with no shred of honor so the "political" part of the game is an exercise in frustration.

Oh, and the cheating. My god, the cheating. And the Russians.

News Comments > 8 Million Heroes & Generals

3. Re: 8 Million Heroes & Generals Jul 25, 2016, 19:07 thecakeisalie

Cutter wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 12:08:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:28:
Most of those players played for a week or less until they found out how much of a pay-to-win game it is.

I would love to see one of these games without required store purchases to play the game.

How about just the number of active subscribers. Personally I wish Blue wouldn't even post PR fluff like this. By all accounts of how scummy those devs are it's likely utter bullshit anyway.

They may have over 8 million registered accounts but top player concurrency was only 13,410 in the last year. 6400-6500 peak players per day - https://steamdb.info/app/227940/graphs/

The game has been in "development" for a long time now. Cheating is rampant. The game has a frustrating progress curve unless you pay what is basically a subscription fee which is more expensive than most MMOs. And yeah, the developers have a bad habit of making certain weapons OP as hell, ignoring all player feedback, in order to encourage people to drop cash to get them.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week

16. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 16, 2016, 21:31 thecakeisalie

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 19:53:
...offering the chance to play Star Citizen for free and check out progress on the crowdfunded space game...

loooooooooooooooooool@progress

It's still a single star system and for every player a single instance with a 24 players max cap. The barebone and backbone of anything resembling a MMO is still missing after 4 years.

OK, they have finished a couple more ship JPEGs in the last few months but anything of actual substance is still a no-show.

What's also interesting is that CR has begun to openly talk about a "minimum viable product" instead of continuing to tout the "fideliteh", "immershun" and "never been done before" horn as he did the past four years.

They are also in the process of changing their video web shows including the cancellation of 10 for the Chairman.
So CR is pretty much removing himself from the forefront of the hype train and sneaking out the back door.

In fact, they are generally on the lowdown this year with no major "super-exciting" events, reveals or any of the other retarded shit they always did the previous years in spite of the fact that Squadron 42 should be very close to release by now (it still has not been officially delayed from its 2016 date).

Also, more key personnel departures lately (art director Mark Skelton)... if you ask me, something fishy is afoot and it is getting increasingly stinky.

It's almost like someone is preparing for a "here is a couple missions of Squadron 42 single player and as you all know we never promised more than that anyway... the MMO could not be done because of Derek Smart so you can thank him for that... oh and thanks for all the fish... laters gators!".

They also put in a new "no more refunds" policy on June 10th (last month) according to an article on OneAngryGamer. A guy had to go as high as put in a complaint with the Attorney General of California to get his money back.

Something definitely smells ripe over there at CIG. If the game fails to deliver, I wonder how many fanatics will blame Derek Smart and everyone else they can try to find as a scapegoat instead of Chris Roberts.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week

2. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 16, 2016, 14:32 thecakeisalie

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 13:26:
We need more money!

I'll be dead and buried before this game is ever finished, or too old to play it due to arthritis and dementia.

News Comments > Valve on Game Item Gambling

14. Re: Valve on Game Item Gambling Jul 14, 2016, 04:39 thecakeisalie

If Valve wasn't being sued and there wasn't a huge spotlight on these gambling sites, you can bet your ass that Gabe Newell would still be adding to his cash mountain and continuing to allow this unsavoury practice to continue. He was getting money from it, indirectly at least, so why not right? He doesn't give a crap about people's kids and the affects that his business practices might have on them, psychologically. He just wants the money. It ALWAYS about the money.  

News Comments > Rocket League Crate Plans

6. Re: Rocket League Crate Plans Jul 12, 2016, 19:50 thecakeisalie

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 19:42:
Yeah, I don't blame them at all for doing this. I'm sure there are loads of people just begging to spend more money on this game, so they'd be leaving thousands or possibly millions of dollars on the table by not adding this feature.

They're being exceptionally ethical and kind by leaving the current item drop system intact as well as allowing you to disable the loot crates entirely if you don't like them. I don't even know how people would get the idea that there could be anything but cosmetics in there...

Some people have a predisposed weakness towards gambling addiction. This kind of business practice preys on that psychological disorder. It also exposes young kids to gambling and teaches them that there's nothing wrong with it.

There is NOTHING ethical about gambling, especially when kids are potentially involved. That's what loot crates are: unregulated gambling. Loot crates are just like a bloody scratch ticket. If you cannot or will not see why unregulated gambling in video games is a problem then you are just in self-denial.

The game developer should just sell the new skins outright in their store and leave loot crates out of the mix. Instead, they are being greedy because random chance (and the best part is THEY get to decide how random because - unregulated, right?) and gambling addiction makes more money than just selling people the skins outright.

News Comments > Rocket League Crate Plans

1. Re: Rocket League Crate Plans Jul 12, 2016, 16:05 thecakeisalie

Fuck loot crates. They are digital cancer. I don't care that they're not tradeable, or whatever. I hope the soulless beancounter who invented the idea rots in the 9th Circle of Hell for all eternity.  

News Comments > Evolve Going Free

15. Re: Evolve Going Free Jul 7, 2016, 09:55 thecakeisalie

I felt dumb for buying this POS when it was on sale. There were almost no people playing when I tried to play. The player base tanked pretty quickly after launch, I guess, according to everyone.

At least now there might be some more people to play with, assuming it's even worth the bother, but seeing as they've mismanaged the game so badly already, I wonder what kind of hare-brained monetization scheme they're coming up with.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?

3. Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 11:00 thecakeisalie

But, but, but Blizzard fanboys roast anyone on reddit or on the official Overwatch forums over cheating allegations or that cheats for this game even exist. This surely must be some kind of mistake!  

News Comments > CS: GO Gambling Scam

31. Re: CS: GO Gambling Scam Jul 5, 2016, 09:51 thecakeisalie

Gabe Newell and Valve need to have their asses dragged through court and any and all ties to shady gambling sites tied to any of their games need to be severed. I like Steam. I generally like Valve, but this bullshit where they are making money via gambling using their games from underage kids is beyond sleazy.  

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >