Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brandon Peters

Real Name Brandon Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kalthorn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 12, 2010, 00:22
Total Comments 36 (Suspect)
User ID 55589

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Memorial Day Mobilization
6. Re: Memorial Day Mobilization May 30, 2016, 20:13 Kalthorn

I have a Zenfone 2 I've been pretty happy with. No real bugs encountered but I'm also still waiting on them to update Android. It is slightly too large for me however, so I'm disappointed the new lineup doesn't show signs of shrinkage.

Curious about prices as well, since I'm pretty sure Intel was subsidizing Atom devices to gain market share.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Riot Simulator Anarcute Announced
2. Re: Riot Simulator Anarcute Announced May 11, 2016, 11:35 Kalthorn

Yeah, not bad. I was hoping for something about the social aspects of riots and mob mentality, not that I know what it would look like. Anyway, looks a lot like Pikmin.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2016, 02:22 Kalthorn

I've used a pair of the yellow computer glasses for a few years with no complaints and felt it generally helped with brightness and possibly contrast. I frequently use a space heater which is sometimes in my field of vision and the glasses definitely helped make that brightness comfortable/tolerable.

Got my first vision prescription a year or so ago and opted for the glare coating which might do much the same thing.

And of course f.lux and changing display brightness and tint also can help. I have no (noticed) eye strain but also have horrible sleep patterns so I can't vouch for that part.

News Comments > Cobalt Released
4. Re: Cobalt Released Feb 4, 2016, 05:31 Kalthorn

Rigs wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 15:36:
... and post-argument guilty apologies'... %)

Speaking of, I was an ass to someone around late December and have been meaning to apologize. Rarely get around to commenting though.

News Comments > New Free Sven Co-op Friday
4. Re: New Free Sven Co-op Friday Jan 20, 2016, 05:15 Kalthorn

Ditto, although Action Half Life ranked high for my circle as well. Crowbar goon squad in Sven, though, good times...

Regarding the original campaign, I remember it mostly working at least for the first...half, maybe, of the game (LAN party always moved on or ended before we could get further). Sometimes we had to manually load/skip levels using the console due to broken map loading triggers.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
35. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 26, 2015, 20:14 Kalthorn

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 17:31:

FYI, in software dev. The latest non-daily release is labelled "stable".

It's convention to call it " stable", likely stemming from how 'at the time that they release it' its the most stable of the recent dailies.

However, the title "stable" is not a description of the software's actual stability or instability - it just means 'not a daily'.

This isn't a CIG thing, its a naming convention throughout software dev.
-scheherazade

FYI, not true at all. Stable means stable. Stable builds receive more testing and remain in place through many daily builds. It's not merely some slightly older build.

If you are actually in software development and follow this practice then I fear for your customers and you would be doing a service to the public to name your employer.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2015, 07:22 Kalthorn

I think it's not considered journalism because it's just the flipside of hyping upcoming games. A "potentially popular upcoming release" doesn't have anything at all, it doesn't exist. It is potential. But true or not, it got you to click. Very much like a tabloid.

An upcoming game with shit for content isn't exactly newsworthy because reviews of the finished product are what count. It should get the same consideration that we give to gushing hype pieces of upcoming games.

Game that hasn't come out yet doesn't have a lot of content! News at 11!
Not exactly a scoop.

Flatline said it well in an earlier post, this blacklisting is a good thing. Not because anyone favors/hates Kotaku or the publishers (though they may for various reasons) but because many of us wish the gaming press would cease focusing so much on the future. There are more than enough games, patches, mods, and events to keep them busy. And if something interesting occurs regarding an in-development title, sure write it up as with Star Citizen.

But as it is, when they focus so much on previewing future games, or beating official announcements, they become part of the hype whether they want to or not. They shouldn't care about needing "access."

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2015, 06:35 Kalthorn

People should always listen for themselves, it's the only way to know who's lying. I mean, I agree that keeping up with this story is a poor use of time, but telling folks "Don't Listen!" like Navi doesn't help people to reach their own decision for a given situation.

Plus, aren't you kind of doing the same thing as DS but on a smaller scale? Using a billion fewer words than him, thankfully, but then again he is actually providing a smidge of information.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Nov 5, 2015, 06:12 Kalthorn

Thanks for the (previous) reminder of Blunt Talk, Blue. Finished the season yesterday, great show. Somewhat similar to BoJack what with the absurd hollywood hijinks + dose of legit humanity. And Californication now that I think about it.  

News Comments > Hitman Trailer
3. Re: Hitman Trailer Oct 28, 2015, 22:13 Kalthorn

Music is from the Glitch Mob, in case anyone liked it. The singer is a guest for that track but most of their stuff is wordless/instrumental trance-y electronica.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Wurm Unlimited
2. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Wurm Unlimited Oct 21, 2015, 23:15 Kalthorn

Because apparently it's more than 10 years old. I didn't know, had never heard of it either.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 14, 2015, 21:45 Kalthorn

Good luck!

I've had Crohn's for 15 years, so these photo ops have become routine for me as well (hmm actually I was diagnosed around the time I started visiting Blues...). Good excuse to fast for a day. Just be careful afterward, I've had wildly different post-op experiences due to differences in anesthesia. The last time, a few weeks ago, I was fully cognizant right after waking up but a few years ago my mind was gone for the rest of the day. Had little short term memory and absolutely required my wife's help with basic tasks for a few hours.

News Comments > StarDrive 2 Sector Zero Announced
5. Re: StarDrive 2 Sector Zero Announced Oct 11, 2015, 14:34 Kalthorn

I also enjoy how his handle has now crept into the expansion's title. Such humble. StarDrive Zero confirmed?  

News Comments > SMITE on Steam
3. Re: SMITE on Steam Sep 8, 2015, 20:02 Kalthorn

If I could remap the arrow keys to Shift+WASD so my hand can stay near the hotkeys, that would work, but I don't think most games allow that.  

News Comments > SMITE on Steam
2. Re: SMITE on Steam Sep 8, 2015, 19:59 Kalthorn

I've only played the big ones so I don't know if it's the best but it is certainly my favorite, although I haven't played much lately. Always wanted to play Monday Night Combat but I think I heard the community had gotten a little too small. For other MOBAs I can't stand the top-down view with shitty camera controls. Smite removes that crippling pain.

That's also the reason I don't really play any RTSs anymore except for SupCom. Ruining my aim and concentration and immersion by making me nudge the stupid screen edge is a no-go.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 25, 2015, 00:03 Kalthorn

Even in those devices, they could whip them. Having a GPU natively access any part of system RAM without onerous copying (and the sync latency that comes with it), and then the CPU use the results (skipping the lag again). A discrete card won't be able to replace that.

But that would require developers to make use of these features and I don't see AMD making any effort at making that happen, and even if they did, it's still a hard sell for devs to put in that much effort for (currently) niche devices. Sad.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 24, 2015, 19:29 Kalthorn

I really wish AMD would push the HSA aspect of their APUs. Having GPU memory in the same address space as the CPU is huge. If developers actually leveraged this they could make software significantly more powerful than the paper specs would suggest (or rather, they would truly represent the paper specs unlike now where the latency and cost of large memory transfers to/from the GPU kill the chances of GPGPU algorithms being used for real-time interaction.)

Once I can afford a small test rig, that's definitely what I'll be working on. So bring on Zen and more price drops please!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2014, 14:20 Kalthorn

Had not heard of The Knick but definitely going to give it a shot now. We loved Deadwood and my wife is now a nurse so there's a good chance we'll enjoy it. Thanks!  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 11:31 Kalthorn

Wow, I didn't think so many people would have non-firing actions on the mouse. Not that any of us are uber-pro headshotters but doesn't having movement or other actions on the mouse cause pressure or mouse movement right when you need to fire?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
14. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 17:31 Kalthorn

I saw Shai Hulud! Do we get hooks and thumpers too?  

36 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo