Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 459 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 5, 2016, 23:46 TheEmissary

Network TV did themselves in with how poor the content has become. Did we really need 3/4 of all the new shows to be cheap reality shows about fake survivial shows, celebrity dance offs, talent shows, or reality shows about people that don't deserve the attention and so on. I was pretty selective or outright avoiding some networks prior to netflix gaining traction. Adding insult to injury you have the ever rising cable bill soaring in to $100's for very little actual content among the junk channels that are forced because of bundling.

I am glad that that most of the premium networks like HBO, Showtime and the like are stand alone or addons for Hulu or amazon video.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed
37. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 3, 2016, 08:12 TheEmissary

Comet wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 17:58:
This is vaporware.
Game is going to fail.

Come on. The game has been in development since end of 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect:_Andromeda

In 2014 they only had some concept footage to show. And now the game is being delayed to 2017. (5-6 years in development)

Come on people. It is obvious that they were too ambitious. Mass Effect Andromeda is rumored to allow planet exploration and traveling across the galaxy.

The game should be out by now

I really doubt Mass Effect Andromeda is going to allow for seamless exploration along the the lines of No Man's Sky. It will probably be the same type of exploration we had in Mass Effect 1 and StarWars Knights of the Old Republic. Remember the Mako?

The real reason they are going with a new galaxy is because not enough time has passed to tell anything other than a reaper or post-reapers story. They also wrote themselves in a corner as well. The new galaxy lets them start fresh with new aliens and the like.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed
31. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 18:14 TheEmissary

Cabezone wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 11:59:
The shit ending of 3 doesn't change the fact that for 99.9% of the trilogy it was telling great stories. It did suck all the wind out of me wanting to play again but I'm not much on replaying games anyway. The entire 3rd game was wrapping up the stories and it did them all incredibly well. I do get why it's what people remember most tho.

If the last bite of pie has poo in it, you ain't gonna remember how awesome the rest was.

The game series was great until the ending. I was expecting something more involved than a "War resources" progress bar and three re-skinned ending cutscenes. I was expecting some story branching to ultimately show the outcome of three games of choices. Anything really.

BTW, I thought Deus ex Human revolution was just as bad with the ending as well. Push one of three buttons to see ending.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2016, 19:58.

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
24. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 17:38 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 16:15:
Do you think there are competing forces in MS, one that states it wants the PC to be a focus again and then the Xbone division that perhaps rather not. So they go out an do a crappy version for the PC (against what their superiors really want) so when it flops they turn around and go "SEE?".

I don't think you can really make any judgement based on a 10 year old game. The real test is going to be if Quantum Break and the Killer Instinct Season 3 DLC sells on PC.

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
23. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 17:36 TheEmissary

Icewind wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 14:18:
They want a 6 core processor running at 3.5ghz? No f'ing way. That's pure insanity. Those graphics are 2006 quality at best, and even if they somehow were modernized, why would it have requirements higher than that of Witcher 3 or Crysis 3?

It's getting downvoted/rated into oblivion anyway.

The thing you have to consider with the Windows Store is the recommended requirements are for 4K. I bet you won't need anything remotely close to that. They revised the Quantum Break requirements to include a recommended for 1080p which were more modest.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 2, 2016, 16:52 TheEmissary

Wow Those .99 cent songs really break the bank for some Millionaires. I really don't get this or when some actors shoplift. They can easily afford it and then some.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 2, 2016, 00:15 TheEmissary

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 22:39:
"PC gaming is as important as its ever been in the company,” he said. “Windows is a critical franchise. Over 40% of the people running Windows 10 are playing games. We want to work hand in hand with our partners to make sure we have the best platform we can have.”

^ Phil Spencer

The ESL should really run a contest on who is the biggest lying shitbag of the gaming universe some time. Contestants: Christ Roberts and Phil Spencer. Award: A lifetime supply of grade A bullshit.

They never said what kind of games. I can see the number being that high if you include games like solitaire/minesweeper or candy crush. IF that number was for AAA games then I agree that it is likely false.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 2, 2016, 00:09 TheEmissary

As much as I appreciate the effort to save storage space and eliminating the disc switching this creates another headache. That headache being that this game will likely be unplayable on day one because of the servers being overloaded. Not to mention this eliminates the possibility of playing/watching this game offline.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 29, 2016, 16:50 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 12:29:
Pigeon wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 11:15:
Ah good ole over reaction; helping people deal with tragic events by severely punishing people involved in unrelated events for the last 10,000+ years.

In every sane country that's an overreaction. Given the US sees mass-shootings on a daily basis it's not. If something had gone down and it came out they knew about it and failed to react they'd be up shit creek. They really don't have a lot of choice in the matter for scenarios like this. Besides, even as a joke that's the sort of thing that warrants a parents attention.

I could understand if they interviewed the person that made the post and then decided the severity of the punishment. The fact they are charging her with a crime means she will likely have a hard time getting in to college or even a job. This will follow her around. I can see a suspension or some type of counseling to explain why it was wrong.

I still have to wonder why a 12 year-old even has a smart phone and an account for instagram. I thought the bare minimum was 13.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2016, 16:56.

News Comments > WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? [Updated]
8. Re: WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? Feb 26, 2016, 11:19 TheEmissary

World War 1 has never really been done all that well in a video game. It sounds cool until you realize it was mostly trench warfare and aircraft and tanks played vastly different roles. All the same I am ready for a theme change be it alt history, other war theaters (WWI or Korea), or future (sequel for 2142).

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 23, 2016, 23:54 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 20:52:
Steam Dev says why he thinks his game is worth $20 and others disagree.

Film at 11.

Not only that but its an early access product which also has some pretty polarizing opinions as well. I have no problem with a developer charging what ever they want if the game is complete and out of beta. The market will ultimately decide what its worth.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2016, 13:59 TheEmissary

descender wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 13:08:
I have a hard time believing that anyone couldn't make the $100 worth of 2-day shipping pay off in a year.

If you shift your bulk purchasing of house supplies to Amazon, there is almost no way you wouldn't make back your money and also save money in the long run. Detergent, TP/PaperTowels, oils (olive, canola, motor), soaps/cleaners... it adds up way faster than you expect. If you have a pet it's even easier to recoup the up-front cost. Just between cats and house supplies we get 2-3 huge boxes delivered per month... and then we also buy stuff we want.

If I used Amazon like a Walmart replacement then yes Prime makes plenty of sense. IF you only use it to buy maybe 3-5 physical goods then it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2016, 11:58 TheEmissary

Armengar wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 11:36:
since amazon upped the free shipping the first time I end up buying the same stuff off ebay these days. No way in hell i'll be bothering after the next hike.

The next hike will probably be 59.99 or the cost of a video game. Pretty much at that point there might as well not even be free shipping. Concerning how close the local brick/mortar stores are pricing things now its not always a given that Amazon will be the cheapest. Not to mention if you live in a state where Amazon collects the sales tax even less so. The Free Shipping was pretty much one of the few things that even make using the site worth while.

Amazon really has become inconsistent with the free or even low paid shipping options. I preordered a few things from them in the last year and received things late by a few days but they upgraded the shipping to overnight or 2-day shipping. I use amazon as a whole too sporadically for the cost of prime to ever make sense.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2016, 11:51 TheEmissary

MacLeod wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 09:53:
Wow... A whats going list for Netflix that's smaller than the what's coming list.

I really wish Netflix would somehow let you just search every movie in a list format, instead of it's GUI interface that just recommends a limited amount of movies. I swear, every time I see the "what's leaving" list, I immediately react with "Hmm. didn't even know that was available to stream." to about 50% of the movies. It's a shame.

And looking at that Hulu list, I just have one thing to say:

"Toe Pick!" Tongue

You can but you have to search using the DVD section. All the movies there will list if they are instant or just a disc queue. I would imagine if you were just on the instant plan this would be super annoying. Netflix does make it some what hard to find what you want to watch. There is a glut of content but no real functional way of searching it or comparing ratings.

The TV UI for netflix is a joke with endless scrolling of movie/tv poster images.

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
50. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 21:21 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 20:45:
TheEmissary wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 20:06:
NKD wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 19:57:
Never understood why some people were under the impression this thing was going to be cheaper than Oculus.

There is no cheap access point for VR at all. If you want to go Gear VR its $99 + $700-800 phone. If you want Oculus Rift its $599 + ~1500 PC that can run this. The Vive is $799 + ~1500 PC again.

So your looking at between $1000 (phone) or 2.5K (highend PC) for a VR capable system. Thats not mainstream yet. These headsets were treated like they would be affordable for about the cost of a next generation console. It was really how they set the expectations.

These prices sound like the PC vs Console wars of yesteryear with console players overstating costs. There is a good chance you already have the pc perhaps less a 970 grade GPU. People make it sound like the market is for people with no pc, that don't play pc games currently, it's all just brand new everything.

Yes you can buy a bit over-priced name brand vr pc now, that's like quoting the price of an alienware system is what it costs to play today's pc games. Lets start acting like we've all been at Blue's for years now and are vets to all of this. It's $600-800 minimum, could be more if you need more.

Like your phone comparison, if you own the phone, it's $99 for VR.

PCs have always hit various price point in relation to performance. You didn't and still don't have to spend insane amount of money to have a functional PC that can game. VR needs to have a spectrum of different hardware at price points people are willing to spend.

VR could be a game changer we just don't know. It will probably be a super niche market for several years. I was hoping for something more approachable price wise. Price wise I could afford one but I would like to see a healthy ecosystem of players and developers before I buy one.

46. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 20:06 TheEmissary

NKD wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 19:57:
Never understood why some people were under the impression this thing was going to be cheaper than Oculus.

There is no cheap access point for VR at all. If you want to go Gear VR its $99 + $700-800 phone. If you want Oculus Rift its $599 + ~1500 PC that can run this. The Vive is $799 + ~1500 PC again.

So your looking at between $1000 (phone) or 2.5K (highend PC) for a VR capable system. Thats not mainstream yet. These headsets were treated like they would be affordable for about the cost of a next generation console. It was really how they set the expectations.

43. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 19:50 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 19:01:
Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 18:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 14:13:
Some ever think they are getting old and sounding that way?

We never needed an Atari 2600, but video games still happened without a need. Yes it is costly, but Oculus has shown there is an initial demand at the price they are asking for, which is very common with consumer electronics. They start high and come down.

Lets stick with flat panels and continue to poo poo more things than cheer for, that makes as much sense. What must have game has really come out for flat panels in the past few? Since they won't advance AI/Physics very much, it's pretty much all the same. Good, but the same, a little boring and plenty of jaded gamers.

Most people never owned an Atari. And once PCs became predominant for work everyone got one, gaming was just a bonus. There may be 10s of millions of console sales but there are billions of PC sales. That's the difference between need and want.

I can tell you right now no one in Canada will be buying one of these things at $1100 a pop. Then throw in another $1500 dollar PC needed for it and yeah, you can forget about it unless you have money to burn.

You do realize Rift's are back-ordered at this point? Meaning demand greater than supply? You do realize people pay 1000's for pc's? You do realize people pay $100's for virtual space ships? Price isn't the most important thing, right now the most important thing is that this is a really good device(s).

There are many levels of pc gamers now you are just trying to find a low denominator and stating "They won't", but as someone who brought up 3DFX, there is the hard core and they will carry the day early on and we'll see if it has legs.

Also mentioned with the 3dfx was Quake, but that actually didn't come out for a while after release. Once the big one drops it will be history and you, me and everyone will be there. I remember real early on people didn't know or understand what a gpu was doing, until they seen.

That said, there is no guarantees, but there will be a lot of buyers to get this going and I think developers will be there as they look for new markets to make their fortune on.

They are backordered because they artificially limited the production batches. It makes press releases sound better than they actually are when you say "X VR headset sells out within hours". They have said in a number of places that they could produce far more of these things if they wanted to.

I am not denying there is a demand for these things there most certainly is but its only with the enthuasists crowd that has never concerned with price to begin with. The mainstream consumers aren't going to buy in at these prices and will likely wait for some cheaper version that does 90% that these models can.

34. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 17:40 TheEmissary

With price points like this for PC VR what is to stop some one from releasing a cheap but functional headset at like $299. Maybe the screen isn't as great or the refresh isn't 90hz like it standard is trending. Lot of people just want to experience something in VR.

VR probably isn't going to win out with casual consumers until the price points match the expected Utility. Basically that of a game console. I can see the manufacturers being able to ask what ever they want for business uses such as simulators or theaters or etc.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 18, 2016, 12:44 TheEmissary

descender wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 10:34:
Forget the "next" generation. Talk to any school teacher, college professor or HR manager and they will tell you that the entire younger generation (let's say sub-25ish?) is completely lacking in major life skills and collapse like a house of cards when pressured in remotely tough situations.

This Hum thing is basically worth it's weight in gold, or at least the weight of the lives saved by stopping teens from doing stupid things with cars. 16-17year old kids fresh out of drivers ed shouldn't be even legally allowed to drive on roads like highways in the first place so at least this can let parents place some sort of restrictions on them. It's really quite absurd how lax the entire driver licensing process is.

You would be surprised how low the requirements are in some states. When I lived in New Mexico I was able to get my permit at 14 and license at 15. Even then I didn't drive on highways or busy roads without being accompanied by a parent.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers Feb 16, 2016, 23:31 TheEmissary

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 14:54:
descender wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 13:52:
You seemingly want to (have to?) believe that what you bought was necessary to justify the amount of money you spent on hardware that will be outclassed within a year by DX12 hardware. Really not a brilliant purchasing decision there... LOL ;p

Uuuhh what the hell are you even talking about? I bought my GTX 980 in January 2015 and it has already lasted a lot longer than I thought. I replace my graphics card just about every generation (depending on the performance boost).

I will replace it as soon as the first Pascal boards are out. It's a scheduled upgrade for me already. I'm not a retard who buys a GPU and hangs on to it like a tard for three, four, five years until its value has dropped to zero or it breaks.

I paid about €560 for my GTX 980. When I sell it for Pascal, I will probably make about €250 to €300 (it's a nice and silent MSI so good value) and then buy a new Pascal for about the same €500 to €600 (less would always be welcome, of course).

If you upgrade frequently, resell and do it smart, you will actually spend less than a tard who buys a $1K Titan for five years plus on top of it you will always have current hardware instead of hanging on to ancient tech just to "justify" something as you put it. That's how morons do it but not me.

You can spend a few hundred dollars every year for the difference from high to ultra (and like 10FPS), that's what you decide to do with your money.

It's not about FPS for me. It's about a quality experience. I have a pretty huge 32" display, 1440p and "only" 60Hz. It's all about graphical quality for me and I'm sorry if you're a blind mole but I can actually tell the difference between low, mid, high and ultra settings.
I don't really give a shit about performance as long as the game runs smooth and looks spectacular. You're making all kinds of wrong assumptions.

You are also sounding like one of those oppressed dudes who would get his dick cut off by his wifey if he spent money on his PC hobby. Or where is all that envy coming from?

If your happy with the performance you getting for the 1-5 year period with the GPU that doesn't make you an idiot for sticking with it. People like you might want to min-max the cost of ownership but other people might not even care about that. Some people might not want to pay the difference every 12-18months.

459 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo