Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 460 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 7, 2016, 07:59 TheEmissary

I would rather youtubers or other streamers stay away from taking money directly from the game devs/publishers. I would rather hear their opinion or what they genuinely enjoy not what they are scripted or obliged to stay.

I will point this out I have actually stopped watching some youtuber streams once it became known they concealed the fact they took money in a influencer type deal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
8. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Nov 20, 2016, 22:34 TheEmissary

Why is this news? The big three browsers have been pulling this type of stuff for years. Google has been making these type of recommendations for quite a while. If you use a non-chrome based browser with any google service it will nag you to download chrome.  

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games
10. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games Nov 17, 2016, 20:17 TheEmissary

I have feeling what will happen is that the major studios will outsource the voice acting in other countries.

I would be all for supporting Voice Actors getting better wages if they took to supporting software developers fight against unhealthy working environment in terms of hours worked and stress.

News Comments > Mass Effect Remasters Hint
9. Re: Mass Effect Remasters Hint Aug 16, 2016, 23:18 TheEmissary

The Mass Effect games aren't really all that old. I don't really see the need to remaster every game when it hits 5 or 10 years old. They look and play fine.

I see this as more of a marketing move to get the old games playable on the same generation of consoles that new game is going to be on.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
122. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 21:18 TheEmissary

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 21:03:
Suppa7 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 18:28:
What do you think steam machines are? They are locked down PC's...

Steam Machines are nothing more than off the shelf component hardware that run an old version of Ubuntu with the Steam client installed and set to launch in to Big Picture mode.

Because SteamOS is based on Linux, there is no way in Hell that it is "locked down", as that defeats the very principles behind Linux. For fuck's sake, you can have the exact same "experience" of SteamOS on Arch (and its derivatives), Fedora (and its derivatives), Debian, Ubuntu (and its derivatives) and, FSM help me, fucking GENTOO!

There is nothing magical or special about SteamOS, it's just a convenience factor. Nothing more.

Before someone replies "B...b...but they COULD do it!", I'd just like to interject for a moment and tell you that the only way that Valve could even try to lock anything down is by releasing the Steam client as a closed blob. That in itself would be massive waste of time and resources given how much the Steam client on Linux requires dependencies, drivers, and libraries that are FOSS. They would literally have to re-engineer their entire library structure, dependencies, and drivers from scratch because everything they currently use is covered by the GPL. That will never happen because it's a futile effort.

However, let's take stupid pills and pretend they do, in fact, release the Steam client as a monolithic blob. Within a very short time, the community of millions is going to have a libre implementation that reverts the functionality of Steam right back to a FOSS and GPL compliant service. At that point, the only thing Valve can do is play whack-a-mole as it tries to block access from that libre service. They, Valve, couldn't even sue the makers of the libre replacement because Valve already released Steam on a GPL compliant OS and AS a GPL compliant OS. In this situation, you really can't ignore GPL because it is binding. Even Red Hat, which is many orders of magnitude more powerful and wealthy than Valve, doesn't want to fuck with the GPL. They release their source code as required and don't utter a peep.

Now, feel free to get back to waving dicks with little aluminum hats on them at each other about Microsoft and its practices.

There are forks of the Linux kernel that are locked down and millions of people use it everyday such as Android. A lot of what people attribute to Linux is really the GNU software ecosystem. Valve could replace all the userland apps with something more proprietary. Its a lot of work for little reward at at this point, perhaps in the future who knows.

The problems facing SteamOS are the same problems that Linux as a whole faces. Those tend to be driver parity and testing and as well as lack of documentation to build FOSS versions. Linux is just as capable generally as a Windows PC. Similar to Windows ports the performance varies just as wildly based on the quality of the port.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
76. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 14:59 TheEmissary

It is certainly a possibility when Corporations have been known to cheat tests. NVidia was caught in the past for writing driver cheats for known benchmark software and they took flak over that. You had VW cheat the emission software for the Diesel vehicles and found liable for damages. There are other cases where devices won't coexist peacefully (occulus rift/Vive or AMD/Nvidia GPUs).

How much flak do you think Microsoft would get if they were found to target specific software in the manner Sweeney described. It would do more harm to the company then the supposed gain by doing so. As soon as it got out that the corporation was hindering the competition it would be all that is needed for domestic and foreign regulators to come down hard on them. Its a slippery
slope.

Sweeney made some cogent points in the past about UWP but this is starting to get in to tin-foil territory.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Free ain't enough reason Jul 22, 2016, 17:20 TheEmissary

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:34:
If you're happy with Win7 or you have older software/hardware that's incompatible with Win10, there is no compelling reason to upgrade. Windows 7 will continue to get fixes until 2020 ! By then, you'll probably need a new machine anyway, and you'll have to upgrade to a new Windows.

Those 4 years will fly by before you know it. If you care about stability or privacy perhaps you should start migrating off the platform to something under control or one you have the source code, such as Linux.

One way or the other your going to have to make a transition as the cost of keeping up with modern standards.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2016, 17:10 TheEmissary

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 16:33:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 15:38:
Electric cars are not more efficient than gasoline!!!

USAs power grid is already taxed, burn more coal to get more power for your electric cars.. rolling blackouts for everyone in the USA soon.. but hey, they'll at least have cool electric cars that are out of power.

Yeah, but we can upgrade the power grid with newer, more efficient, and cleaner generation as needed... We can't do the same with fossil fuels. Burning more coal in the short term would still be a step in the right direction, a growing pain that can then be dealt with in turn.

I really don't see how charging a electric car is going to put that much more drain on the power grid than millions of A/C units running during the peak of Summer. Once the batteries are charged they are no longer drawing from the grid. Even if all those cars were adding larger drain to the system they could slow the rate the cars charge.

I wouldn't be surprised in future home construction to see solar cells built in to the roof of the garage and have a central battery to draw from. There are also micro-windfarm systems that are designed to work in urban settings. So its a bit premature to cast doom and gloom over the transition to electric cars.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 20:35 TheEmissary

accidental duplicate post  

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 20:34 TheEmissary

I think that would be a bad idea as it would give the appearance of collusion and other payola schemes. Its best to keep a wall between the retailers/publishers and reviewers.

I can sort of see how having ex-reviewers on staff in advisory role for setting review policies/moderation or doing mock-reviews of games before they go live. I however don't agree with having practicing journalists reviewing games sold by their employer.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
23. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2016, 17:21 TheEmissary

A game like Star Citizen is no doubt a juggernaut in terms of crowdfunding but it is still one game in a niche genre. I kind of doubt there is a very high overlap between people that Kickstarted games like Wasteland2/Pillars of Eternity and Star Citizen. An entirely different group of people. What ultimate is killing kickstarter is the lack of accountability at every level.

Too many projects are going to the well before they even fully know what they are going to develop.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 2, 2016, 13:45 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 12:23:
Thanks Star Citizen!

Star Citizen didn't cause the drop off in pledges. It has more to do with the negative trands that range anywhere from projects just ending with no deliverable,countless delays, releasing as a buggy mess, or a scam. Recently you had a couple kickstarter projects that failed and just closed shop without so much as a word to the backers. Another project lowballed the required. The list goes on. The confidence in Kickstarter has been shattered.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection
8. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 19, 2016, 13:14 TheEmissary

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 13:05:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 12:54:
In the long run they are probably going to need a content ID match system that compares the file hashes. They should also have a way to flag if a mod is suitable for release on the console yet. It would also be nice if they had a way to declare the license your releasing the mod under and the sub-license/acknowledgment for the mods your extending.

It can be surmised that no major mod currently in existence is compatible with the PS4 though

Also nowhere in this news do they say that they implement punishments for mod theft.... so wtf is this news? Placebo?

Linking the Steam Account to the Bethesda.net was one of the basic things the Mod developers wanted. Yes it doesn't stop the first theft but it helps deter them from using the game to publish anymore mods if caught. Real anti-theft is going to take some real thought and effort.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2016, 13:20.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection
5. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 19, 2016, 12:54 TheEmissary

In the long run they are probably going to need a content ID match system that compares the file hashes. They should also have a way to flag if a mod is suitable for release on the console yet. It would also be nice if they had a way to declare the license your releasing the mod under and the sub-license/acknowledgment for the mods your extending.  

News Comments > WoW Increasing Draw Distances
2. Re: WoW Increasing Draw Distances Jun 5, 2016, 13:42 TheEmissary

ZandarKoad wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:15:
"Well you see, we just turned the Graphics Level up to 11."

How long do you think its going to before people raid the forums to complain about losing frames?

To be honest I would rather that they increased the terrain and model complexity than just extending the view distance.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 5, 2016, 13:14 TheEmissary

I wouldn't say that the Steam machine concept is dead. It sparked or reenergized the linux gaming scene just by its presence. That alone makes it worth it in my book. You went from having dubious drivers and barely a handful of ports to a thousand or so games in about three years.

Its a very public experiment that may or may not bear fruit. I think eventually once Vulkan matures and they can find a price parity with the current generation consoles they will find a niche. Even if it doesn't the OS valve developed is still a useful development target for linux games to test against.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2016, 17:41 TheEmissary

Dacron wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 17:13:
I only ditched Win XP in 2012 for Win7 and only because it came with a rig. I don't like to change from a good, working OS.

Got Win10 in 2015, and it is much better than Win7. A few things to get use to (that you can actually re-enable if you want a more old school vibe), but once you learn the few changes that make a big difference, it's a vast improvement over Win7.

You can stick with any OS until the hardware fails. I see plenty of non-networked XP machines still used as work machines. If it works for your use case then you don't necessarily need to upgrade. If you don't plan on running anything more taxing than what you are now then stick with it. Sooner or later if your a gamer you will have to upgrade to a current OS.

Once you factor in that hardware manufacturers are really only supporting a few recent Operating Systems and game developers are targeting the most recent DX version there really isn't that much choice.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 1, 2016, 19:38 TheEmissary

Pigeon wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 09:59:
Samsung makes some great looking TVs (if you get one actually produced by samsung), but their business practices with their smart tvs has been shady as hell. I'm pretty sure my next TV will just be a regular TV that I hook up a Roku or something to.

Samsung has been baking ads in to the SMART TVs for a while now. Out of the box Samsung has ads that will just popup over-top of the content outside of the smart hub (Push notifications). Luckily you can turn off the really annoying parts of it.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 27, 2016, 08:13 TheEmissary

These incremental releases are really going to mess with the less savvy consumers. You have some parents that barely know anything about the console let alone know the difference between the SKUS. You saw the confusion that happened between the Wii and Wii U with older consumers.

I can't help but wonder if most gamers are going to ignore the first SKU of a generation and go for a mid-cycle console. I don't know too many console consumers that want to upgrade their console every year. At best you might see consumers skipping every other or every two new consoles. Lets see how the trade policies are going to work for this.

News Comments > Dota 2 Beta Adds Vulkan Support
7. Re: Dota 2 Beta Adds Vulkan Support May 25, 2016, 08:11 TheEmissary

Slick wrote on May 24, 2016, 17:20:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 24, 2016, 16:30:
ForgedReality wrote on May 24, 2016, 13:30:
Anyway, this isn't about performance, this is about getting away from the reliance on Microsoft and DX, which is never a bad thing, imo.

Quoted for truth.

The only thing keeping a Windows install around on my machine is to play games. If Vulkan takes off and developers use it for the games I would like to play, then I can get rid of Windows entirely.

Well, not really. Whatever the ancillary reasons may be (we know Valvue has a raging hate-on for M$) Mobas are actually very CPU-intensive games. Just like an RTS, the graphic card isn't the limiting factor, it's the CPU computational needs of 300 units on-screen at once. So yeah, something like Vulkan or DX12 would probably benefit these genres more than just about any other genres I can think of...

I don't see what Valve is doing as blind hatred of Microsoft. If anything they are trying to position themselves to survive the next transition PC is going to make. Majority of the computing devices sold in the last five of so years have been from mobile devices with walled gardens. Windows could have easily gone that way for Windows 10 and it still could if the Win32 api no longer gets support (modern compilers/etc).

460 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo