Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 479 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Bossa Studios Making AI Push
9. Re: Bossa Studios Making AI Push Dec 4, 2017, 18:04 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 15:19:
I suspect that game AI companies will be like game engine companies: they'll develop interactive plug and play AI that can be configured for any game type. This will be a huge boon to immersive gaming.

Imagine a flight sim where you talk with the tower and other aircraft in real time and they respond intelligently and contextually. Or being a platoon leader in ArmA and giving orders to soldiers verbally while the give you real time sitreps so you can plan tactics to complete a mission. The possibilities are endless.

StarTrek Bridge Crew I think used the Watson API to handle the voice interaction with the game. It would be extremely cool to see games with less canned responses and handling input a bit like a human mode.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software
14. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 21, 2017, 11:30 TheEmissary

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 09:50:
I wouldn't trust this or UWP at all after GFWL. Seriously, any dev using those things needs to be boycotted and have their head examined for deciding to use it. It's now a real pain in the ass to get some GFWL dependent games to run. Some of the fixes required to download GFWL and install it but the ones available fail to install on Win 10 and a supposed working version that use to be available from MS has been removed so you can't even get it anymore officially. I just tried and installed an older GFWL enabled game last weekend on my new rig. I had to go find a unofficial GFWL dll file so I could just get the game to run again in single player mode. FUCK any solution from MS IMHO they'll abandon it in a few years and screw over any chance of playing those games you bought due to dependencies and not give you any kind of official way to make it work in their next forced Win 10 update that will break things.

Those problems can happen with any type of game that depends on a library or service that is no longer supported. You have plenty of games that are broken because DRM servers no longer authenticate the game keys. Or you have situations like the gamespy where the matchmaking/master servers were shutdown. EA tends to shutdown MP components of its sports titles all the time.

The TruePlay api is baked in to the OS where as GFWL was a client application on top. At the very least see how its implemented before ranting about it. If the service is shutdown there is nothing stopping the game developers from patching out the anti-cheat to use something else. Just as plenty of game developers patched out GFWL to use SteamWorks.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
14. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 12:10 TheEmissary

necrosis wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:31:
Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:07:
It seems like a big list, but most of them are small issues for pretty niche setups.

This one, however Closing Application: When closing Destiny 2 on PC, players must close the application via mouse input. Controllers cannot select the in-game button to close the Destiny 2 application. is just freaking nuts.
Who the hell is using a controller in a FPS game on PC?

Its perfectly fine for PVE stuff, now the PvP (crucible/iron banner) use the mouse. You never know how people have their PC setup. It could be a HTPC under TV for all you know. Either way its a option you can choose to use or not.

News Comments > Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10
4. Re: Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10 Oct 9, 2017, 02:23 TheEmissary

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:24:
Spektr wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 16:40:
I wonder what is to happen to people buying the game now and running it on previous systems when they stop support...

Im betting they complain on the message boards and get nowhere. Epic’s official answer will likely be “upgrade from Windows Vista, you moron”.

Vista has DirectX 11 support oddly enough. So that alone wouldn't drop support. There is no point in supporting it because its EOL. If they were going to DX12 they would lose all the holdouts that didn't upgrade to Windows 10.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 10:56 TheEmissary

These are essentially XP boosters. They just aren't called that. Most games with Loot crates give you tokens to increase your XP or boost your currency. Not saying its right I am just saying its not out of the norm.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2017, 09:53 TheEmissary

Going multi-core kind of requires you do rethink your entire design from the ground up. That includes making sure all the libraries and api's your linking to are thread-aware or thread-safe as well. Lot of legacy libraries aren't and they still make their way in to modern code bases.

Like you said the easy stuff to multi-thread would be the network, sound, Input polling, and AI. It might be possible to send some aspects of the simulation that doesn't require low latency to other cores. It really depends on how independent the other simulations in the game can be and how they pass information.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2017, 17:26 TheEmissary

I am already subscribed to Netflix and Hulu and I really don't want to have to subscribe to another network for just one show. I am debating just binge-subscribing for a month at the end of the season. I am not a fan of the weekly releases just to prolong a subscription.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
29. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 13:10 TheEmissary

Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 08:04:
Ozmodan wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 17:39:

Well the PS4 Pro can't do true 4k, it just upscales and with the Xbox I get a real 4k dvd reader. I have yet to see a PS4 exclusive I want to play either. I have the Xbox on order.

The Xbox has like 3 exclusives this year and one of them is called Super Lucky's Tale. A Microsoft backed console that puts more ads on the UI with every update and has the shittiest store ever. The Switch and PS4 have actual exclusives. I think exclusives are fucking annoying but if you want to get a console, why get the one that is handily losing this generation and has shit all for software?

So have fun playing Minecraft in 4k on the new Xbox.

I really depends on the types of games and community of players. Exclusive wise this year wasn't the best for either console. Most of the real heavy hitters were delayed to next year.

On the PS4 the only exclusive games I bought this year were Horizon Zero Dawn, Crash Bandicoot, and Uncharted Lost Legacy. On the Xbox One exclusive I bought was Halo Wars 2.

News Comments > MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms
12. Re: MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms Aug 31, 2017, 08:15 TheEmissary

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:47:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 11:47:
MS can't seriously be confused as to why Nintendo or Sony wouldn't be all that likely to do it right? I mean, Nintendo or Sony might crossplay with PC but that is something else entirely.

I guess weirder things have happened in the last year or so...I am not going to hold my breath though.

Yeah I find this baffling, you'd think the source of such a initiative would come from actual multi-platform publishers or digital stores, but from MS it screams dishonesty. And it's not like Sony makes all PS4 games, nor does MS make all xbox games, this needs to be an initiative and decision coming from the actual developers.

And Steam has absolutely no reason to allow crossplay either when you think about it Why would Steam reward buyers on competing platforms? Not to mention the issues this would lead to (same balance for games on different platforms, control issues, patches would need to be perfectly synced.. pc specific issues would likely never get patched.. etc.

Steam has already done Cross-Play between the PC and PS3 for Portal 2. So I think they would be all for it if allowed to do it.

News Comments > MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms
11. Re: MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms Aug 31, 2017, 08:10 TheEmissary

It really should be the developers or the publishers responsible for creating the games/software that are the ones to decide if its cross-platform or not.

Wouldn't you think that some game developers would want to avoid splitting player bases. I am sure games like TitanFall2 and Lawbreakers would have benefited quite a bit from this. Multiplayer games live and die by the size of the their playerbase.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 10:36 TheEmissary

Cutter wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 19:47:
The judge erred and MS will win this on appeal, wait and see. His analogy is flawed because businesses are, legally, quasi-public spaces. They can refuse admittance and service whenever they so choose. And if you persist in trying to enter or further harass said business at this point you'll end up with trespass and/or harassment charge and injunction that you have to stay away from said business/property.

It should always be a situation of 'my house, my rules'. Don't like it? Fine, take your business someplace else but you don't have the right to come into my place and steal my stuff when you've been barred explicitly. They shouldn't have to go extreme measures to ensure this. It would be akin to the police not doing their job and telling the store owner to put in an expensive security system and hire security personnel for the express purpose of doing what the police are already well paid to do. That dog just won't hunt.

They really need to find better terminology to define cybercrime. You can't keep lumping everyone in to the hacker category and doing so does a disservice.

Instead of treating it as hacking, Couldn't they treat the information as copyrighted material and then invoke the DMCA.

News Comments > Take-Two Interactive Results
1. Re: Take-Two Interactive Results Aug 3, 2017, 10:22 TheEmissary

I am pretty sure that RDR 2 is going to be ported to PC. No doubt it will be announced a couple months after the console launch of RDR2 and then released another 6-8 months after like usual.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2017, 19:21 TheEmissary

I am not a fan of another streaming service with limited title. I don't like that even Star Trek Discovery is going on CBS All access instead of netflix or hulu. I am already subbed to Netflix and Hulu and that is enough at the moment.

As far what they could with a StarGate prequel. In the show they say they never found the original Dial-Home-Device (DHD). They could base the show around having a team stumble on it and somehow got the gate working the show could be about an incident that caused them to destroy/hide it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2017, 20:21 TheEmissary

Its the software that wins the hardware wars. You can have the best hardware around but if there is no software/content for it then its next to useless. How Bluray end up winning as the HD optical disc format was getting enough media companies to distribute using that format.

I think the HDR wars will sort themselves out eventually when most of the displays are true 10bit per channel or 30bit Color (1.07 Billion Colors). HDR then could be adjusted through the TVs post processing. Or it could be like Audio encoding standards (dolby/dts) where every device now supports the main ones.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2017, 20:32.

News Comments > Halo Wars: Definitive Edition on Steam This Week
11. Re: Halo Wars: Definitive Edition on Steam This Week Apr 18, 2017, 11:19 TheEmissary

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 00:37:
cross play with windows store is not supported. what kind of fucking clowns thought that system was going to work? probably the same fucks who made that looneytunes drm scheme and decided kinect was a good idea to force upon everyone who bought the original xb1

That point doesn't matter as much as you think it does. None of the PC versions of the Halo Wars 1 and 2 support cross-play multiplayer with the console. The only advantage to getting it on the Windows store is the cross-saves and cross buy should you own a console.

I do have to admit the lack of cross-play does ring a bit hollow after them trying to make inroads to support multiple networks. Future games maybe support it but not a legacy title that was only released to get people up to speed with the plot of the 2nd.

News Comments > MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games
15. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 18:06 TheEmissary

Lets be honest here Video games (Xbox and PC included) aren't all that important to Microsoft's bottom line. How they make their money is through service contracts and productivity software. Focusing on developing video games and associated hardware builds appeal or brand awareness.

There isn't a whole lot keeping a desktop user tied to Windows outside of gaming. Most of the applications people use have been ported to practically anything with a cpu in it. So yes its important to still focus on PC gaming in some form.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2017, 19:59 TheEmissary

chickenboo wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 13:05:
Tetris The Movie.
Fruit Ninja The Movie.
Five Nights At Freddies The Movie.
Firewatch The Movie.

In twenty years after they've milked video games of all they're worth, they can move on to popular snacks.

Cheetos The Movie
Pop Tarts The Movie
Lasagna the Movie

I could totally see a Wreck-it ralph / futurama style movie with advertising mascots. Chester cheetah probably could branch off and do its own thing. Then again remember how poorly the insurance caveman skits were when they were made in to a tv show.

I am not sure why Hollywood is buying up movie rights to games that have no plot to speak of. Especially considering that most of the film adaptions of video games are horrible.

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
8. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 14:27 TheEmissary

I am not too fussed about the changes to the stretch goals. At least its no where near what Double Fine had to do with "Broken Age" in that they had to release the game in two parts. Reality always changes even the best plans or budgets.

That said I am giving crowd funding a wide berth. I am not too fond of what has been going on with projects like: the pebble watch, Oculus Rift/Facebook acquisition, Ouya, Star Citzen, and or the delays for most projects.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2017, 08:19 TheEmissary

I get they want to push the whole home automation thing but doing it over a normal wifi protocol is not the way to do it. The last thing we need is more wifi devices on the 2.4Ghz or even 5Ghz band. The congestion is going to be unreal if this comes true. Its already bad enough you can't anywhere close to the full speed from your wifi router because of all the other neighbors on similar channels.

The other thing to be concerned with is security. As seen with routers or TVs most people will not go out of their way to update the firmware. Do you think most people are going to do that for each and every "internet of things" device.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 7, 2016, 07:59 TheEmissary

I would rather youtubers or other streamers stay away from taking money directly from the game devs/publishers. I would rather hear their opinion or what they genuinely enjoy not what they are scripted or obliged to stay.

I will point this out I have actually stopped watching some youtuber streams once it became known they concealed the fact they took money in a influencer type deal.

479 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo