Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheEmissary

Real Name TheEmissary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheEmissary
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 25, 2010, 02:54
Total Comments 492 (Amateur)
User ID 55552

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2018, 15:15 TheEmissary

This is an important advance in terms of Real-Time Ray Tracing. Prior to this it was done almost exclusively on on the CPU.

Its true that you can simulate or fake a number of effects but only to a point. It might sound counter-intuitive but its possible at a certain complexity its not as computationally efficient to rasterize the effects. Its possible to get good performance with Ray Tracing with various acceleration structures or search/culling techniques.

I think where we are tech wise with RTRT is no different than when the first accelerated GPUs first started doing (T&L) transform and lighting. Then a bit later people made similar claims against per-pixel shading compared with per-vertex or fixed pipeline shading.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
3. Re: A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI? Jul 14, 2018, 12:45 TheEmissary

Its totally believable something like this could have gone undetected. Its easy to write code albeit wrong that compiles and throws no errors.

If the development was rushed they may have cut out the unit tests or quality assurance testing. The other thought is maybe the code being called was a stub/placeholder and they forgot to update the configuration file.

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
45. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 19:11 TheEmissary

Osc8r wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:32:
theglaze wrote on May 24, 2018, 15:00:
TBH, if any FPS franchise could actually present a solid Battle Royale mode... it's this one!

Massive Maps and player count = A cornerstone of the franchise
Vehicles = Have your pick
Gun-play depth = Miles ahead of the other popular titles
Parachutes = Just pull the cord

Add in artillery barrages or gas attacks to simulate the safe zone, and they'd have the best Battle Royale mode on the market...

I guess we'll just have to settle for the normal BF experience: random public lobbies with ridiculously skilled team hogging the best vehicle (which no one can kill) and the endless cycle of spawn kiling.

Can't wait Blank

Exactly. Once they get disappointing sales and see all the continued success in the BR market hopefully they will wake up and do something different to the same old tired formula they've used for the past 15 years or so.

Battlefield does need innovation for its gameplay modes but it doesn't need to follow the BR trend. There are so many ways they could go such as dynamically changing objectives and scenarios. In my mind its hard to rationalize the existence of a mode that eliminates the teamplay for RNG free for all.

News Comments > Battlefield V Reveal Hype
27. Re: Battlefield V Reveal Hype May 21, 2018, 08:38 TheEmissary

rawbelly wrote on May 20, 2018, 14:51:
This may not make sense to many people, but I haven't even felt like playing a BF game since they took out runways. The idea of spawning in a plane is just ridiculous to me. Fighting over planes and strafing runways WAS Battlefield. Back in my day you had to earn your plane! You whippersnappers and your instant gratification

I kind of feel the same way as you do. You have to manage your ammo as a foot soldier so why don't you have to manage your vehicle armaments. I do miss the immersion of being able to jump in a vehicle sitting on the map. Its not likely to ever come back.

13. Re: Battlefield V Reveal Hype May 20, 2018, 19:54 TheEmissary

DangerDog wrote on May 20, 2018, 16:22:
New Setting?

The only setting they haven't really conquered is a modern war in the U.S., there was an expansion pack for BF2 and the ending of Bad Company 2 teased at Russia attacking the US with a few US based maps but nothing on a grand scale of fighting on the streets of San Francisco or New York.

They sort of did this with the BF2 expansion Armored Fury. Granted it was more Midwestern or suburban settings. The concept was done more or less.

I am more interested in fictional settings or alternative realities. I would love to have a proper campaign centered on the conflict in BF2142.

12. Re: Battlefield V Reveal Hype May 20, 2018, 19:49 TheEmissary

Undih wrote on May 20, 2018, 18:25:
No Battle Royal bandwagon mode?

I have no problem with PUBG and Fortnite doing the Battle Royale thing. Those games do the concept well. I have a problem with developers trying to ride the wave and cram it in to games or places it makes very little sense.

Why force a lone wolf game play mode in a game built around teamwork. I would be hugely disappointed if resources are taken away from the main modes for it. I would rather DICE try something original if possible that makes the series unique.

Don't pull a Fortnite and ignore your original game concept.

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
39. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 07:42 TheEmissary

Bub wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 07:14:
So Steam noticed that many online multiplayer games in its catalog are not selling anymore since potential buyers can easily see that a game only has a handful of daily players. Also Steam is getting into that old greedy, share cropping landlord huff over outside sites monetizing its public player game data without giving Steam a cut.

Plenty of people have told steam just how clunky their wish list and personal catalog are, and they recently just made them even more primitive, while sites like Is There Any Deal, offer a superior wish list and personal catalog management suite.

Won't surprise me if Steam's next move is to neuter the whole player reviews scheme. About half the games now in my Steam Queue have mostly negative reviews which helps me avoid those turkeys.

This is about privacy. They haven't taken down their Anonymous stats concerning hardware profiles, traffic/bandwidth, top played games. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ The games not selling anymore would drop off that page.

Valve is well within their rights to lock off an API that is used to scrap information from user profiles.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
15. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 13:38 TheEmissary

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 11:22:
That's a nice grid to lay it all out.

540P though? That's a number born from, who the hell knows.

Laptops especially on the low to med end of the spectrum still use resolutions like 1366 vs 768. That resolution might be closer to 720p than 540p but we are forgetting about the sad state the integrated graphics are in. Factor in Interlacing also who knows.

Take a look at the benchmarks for the iGPU they recommend for 540p.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Graphics-540.149939.0.html

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2018, 15:14.

News Comments > EA Gaming Patents
7. Re: EA Gaming Patents Jan 9, 2018, 11:22 TheEmissary

It still baffles me to no end that statements so vague/generic and generally lacking any specifics can be patented. I don't really think you should be able to patent concepts like that especially ones already in use. Now if they had a specific algorithmic solution that would be a different story. Now they just added to the legal minefield that is software development.

Just off the top of my head a game that already does what this patent claims like Forza Horizon 2 (Drivatars). OR what about games like Left4Dead which has a director that controls the follow of the game. Plenty of other games watch player performance alter either the AI of the enemies, health pools, spawn rates,accuracy and so on.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2018, 11:32.

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
22. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:00 TheEmissary

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:44:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:30:
Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 10:06:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:38:
Always spread the blame.

How does PUBG's success have anything to do with LawBreakers failure. They are two totally unrelated sub-genres. Games that are sort of similar to it like Overwatch are still thriving. The problem is that the game just didn't seem all that interesting or original.

In part, anyone that was open to trying a new competitive FPS in that time period was playing PUBG.

But yeah, I'd say Overwatch is a more direct competitor, and Lawbreakers just did nothing to attract those players. Overwatch obviously had a much larger budget, particularly for marketing, but it built something of a world with distinct characters and spent a lot of time advertising those characters. Lawbreakers had characters, but that's about as much as you can say about them - they exist. I get that it wanted to be more streamlined and about the gameplay, but there was already something out there brighter and sparklier and without a large amount of people complaining about flaws that Lawbreakers was seeking to correct.

Yup, those marketing shorts achieved the impossible: they gave life to the characters in an online-only arena shooter. Compared to Mei, Winston, and Tracer, the Lawbreakers characters are cardboard cutouts. Hell, I hate online arena shooters, and even I wanted to buy Overwatch (I didn't though).

Also, they had a year head start.

Right? I love CS but hate anything with a high learning curve online. I don't play enough to get particularly good, and I like feeling like a god in a game these days (as I do right now in Wolfenstein 2.) But Overwatch had me somewhat interested.

However, I often see .gifs on reddit of Overwatch, with a caption like "I'm so sneaky, look what I did!" and then I watch the gif and have no clue what I'm looking at. No clue why it was impressive. No clue all the stuff going on or why. For just an arena shooter, it's weirdly incoherent in 20 second clips to someone who spent literal years of his life playing arena shooters in the late 90s. This isn't a complaint or criticism - I'm impressed they did something so drastically different that I have no clue what I'm looking at. Few games do that to me, especially in genres I know well.

I kind of feel the same way when I watch a MOBA match out of context. If you don't watch the entire thing or know what all the hero abilities do its pretty difficult to follow. I suppose its no different than some one watching a sports match for the first time. You need some familiarity with it prior.

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
2. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 09:56 TheEmissary

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:38:
Always spread the blame.

How does PUBG's success have anything to do with LawBreakers failure. They are two totally unrelated sub-genres. Games that are sort of similar to it like Overwatch are still thriving. The problem is that the game just didn't seem all that interesting or original.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 09:42 TheEmissary

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:34:
This guy does not get it, it is a fad which will be replaced with something else. The chances that this game continues with it's top ranking are almost zip.

Pretty much. PUBG is pretty much a slight innovation on games that were in early access or mods for years. Its just the first game to be stable enough and hit at the right time with the youtube/marketing influencers. It could have just as easily been DayZ or H1Z1:king of the hill or any other game like it.

If anything we are going to see a ton of Battle Royale games from both indie and major publishers. All the while who knows what the next hit will be with the YT crowd.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 20:40 TheEmissary

Pigeon wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 13:04:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 11:24:
Whatever you do, don't watch 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' in 3D.

This x 1000.

Whatever else you can say about the movie, it's gorgeous in 2D.

Yeah saw it in 2D had no desire to spend more to see a lower picture quality film. I did watch TFA in 3D when it came out, I will acquiesce that the lightsaber fight in the snowy forest was amazing with the 3D... everything else was garbage though.

It really depends on the quality of the theater. It really comes down to whether the theater is able to compensate for the dimming that happens when they polarize the frames. This is really a "your mileage may vary" type of situation. I saw the film in 3D in a theater that did a ton of upgrades to the screen/seats/etc and it was good experience.

News Comments > Bossa Studios Making AI Push
9. Re: Bossa Studios Making AI Push Dec 4, 2017, 18:04 TheEmissary

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 15:19:
I suspect that game AI companies will be like game engine companies: they'll develop interactive plug and play AI that can be configured for any game type. This will be a huge boon to immersive gaming.

Imagine a flight sim where you talk with the tower and other aircraft in real time and they respond intelligently and contextually. Or being a platoon leader in ArmA and giving orders to soldiers verbally while the give you real time sitreps so you can plan tactics to complete a mission. The possibilities are endless.

StarTrek Bridge Crew I think used the Watson API to handle the voice interaction with the game. It would be extremely cool to see games with less canned responses and handling input a bit like a human mode.

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software
14. Re: Windows 10 Adds TruePlay Anti-Cheat Software Oct 21, 2017, 11:30 TheEmissary

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 09:50:
I wouldn't trust this or UWP at all after GFWL. Seriously, any dev using those things needs to be boycotted and have their head examined for deciding to use it. It's now a real pain in the ass to get some GFWL dependent games to run. Some of the fixes required to download GFWL and install it but the ones available fail to install on Win 10 and a supposed working version that use to be available from MS has been removed so you can't even get it anymore officially. I just tried and installed an older GFWL enabled game last weekend on my new rig. I had to go find a unofficial GFWL dll file so I could just get the game to run again in single player mode. FUCK any solution from MS IMHO they'll abandon it in a few years and screw over any chance of playing those games you bought due to dependencies and not give you any kind of official way to make it work in their next forced Win 10 update that will break things.

Those problems can happen with any type of game that depends on a library or service that is no longer supported. You have plenty of games that are broken because DRM servers no longer authenticate the game keys. Or you have situations like the gamespy where the matchmaking/master servers were shutdown. EA tends to shutdown MP components of its sports titles all the time.

The TruePlay api is baked in to the OS where as GFWL was a client application on top. At the very least see how its implemented before ranting about it. If the service is shutdown there is nothing stopping the game developers from patching out the anti-cheat to use something else. Just as plenty of game developers patched out GFWL to use SteamWorks.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
14. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 12:10 TheEmissary

necrosis wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:31:
Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:07:
It seems like a big list, but most of them are small issues for pretty niche setups.

This one, however Closing Application: When closing Destiny 2 on PC, players must close the application via mouse input. Controllers cannot select the in-game button to close the Destiny 2 application. is just freaking nuts.
Who the hell is using a controller in a FPS game on PC?

Its perfectly fine for PVE stuff, now the PvP (crucible/iron banner) use the mouse. You never know how people have their PC setup. It could be a HTPC under TV for all you know. Either way its a option you can choose to use or not.

News Comments > Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10
4. Re: Fortnite Patch Breaks DX10 Oct 9, 2017, 02:23 TheEmissary

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:24:
Spektr wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 16:40:
I wonder what is to happen to people buying the game now and running it on previous systems when they stop support...

Im betting they complain on the message boards and get nowhere. Epic’s official answer will likely be “upgrade from Windows Vista, you moron”.

Vista has DirectX 11 support oddly enough. So that alone wouldn't drop support. There is no point in supporting it because its EOL. If they were going to DX12 they would lose all the holdouts that didn't upgrade to Windows 10.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 10:56 TheEmissary

These are essentially XP boosters. They just aren't called that. Most games with Loot crates give you tokens to increase your XP or boost your currency. Not saying its right I am just saying its not out of the norm.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2017, 09:53 TheEmissary

Going multi-core kind of requires you do rethink your entire design from the ground up. That includes making sure all the libraries and api's your linking to are thread-aware or thread-safe as well. Lot of legacy libraries aren't and they still make their way in to modern code bases.

Like you said the easy stuff to multi-thread would be the network, sound, Input polling, and AI. It might be possible to send some aspects of the simulation that doesn't require low latency to other cores. It really depends on how independent the other simulations in the game can be and how they pass information.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2017, 17:26 TheEmissary

I am already subscribed to Netflix and Hulu and I really don't want to have to subscribe to another network for just one show. I am debating just binge-subscribing for a month at the end of the season. I am not a fan of the weekly releases just to prolong a subscription.  

492 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo