Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zoom

Real Name Zoom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 9, 2010, 09:02
Total Comments 296 (Amateur)
User ID 55511

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
19. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 09:57 Zoom

You can disable most or even all of the camera shenanigans in the options so it's a non-issue (unlike what those brainless steam reviewers imply).
As for game expansion we know that if the game is successful, they'll add more content based on the game engine, exactly like they did with their Shadowrun series. Having the FASA authors and even the game creator onboard really helps...
It's really the game i have been waiting for nearly 30 years now... although for some people it might be slow paced, it's as good as it gets for a board game adaptation, and i'm ok with the slower pace, reminds me of Warlords or HOMM..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
3. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 24, 2018, 21:36 Zoom

Played the campaign, it's great so far. Exactly what was expected.

They made a fine game there, given how it's setup there's room for expansion, more campaigns, coop, etc.

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Videos
10. Re: Underworld Ascendant Videos Apr 14, 2018, 19:02 Zoom

Task wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 11:21:
I see a lot of "Thief"-like gameplay in that.
And for good reason it's the same people behind it. They do "get" immersive games given the team is mostly ex-Looking Glass, led by the same Paul Neurath.. We can expect top notch gameplay and immersion.

News Comments > R.I.P. Steam Machines?
21. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 16:48 Zoom

DangerDog wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 15:17:
I don't think the Linux community is open to the idea of making it more user friendly though.
That, and the platform segmentation. For starters the linux community see their baby as a pure "business, serious" OS and gaming is definitely in the "not serious" category (nevermind it brings billions of dollars to the table or heaps of development for drivers and peripheral...).
Everytime someone mentions trying to tidy up a distribution in order to make a consistent, user friendly gaming platform, it takes huge tons of flak from the community and they fork it over at best, ignore it totally at worst. See Ubuntu. The community will never agree on a usable, tightly controlled (and thus consistent) user platform. That's why it's running your bank servers, your internet services, your cloud, but not your gaming machine. It does run your smartphone only because there's an actual platform around it (Android).
So yeah as long as the community will consider gaming as a futile distraction, and not as the serious business it ought to be, linux will be a small note in the margin of desktop market.
It's really too bad because the OS itself is solid, running Ubuntu for gaming is really solid too, games that are native to it (or ported without a wrapper) run really well (granted, using nVidia or Intel only), and the OS is much more secure and less prone to self destruction than the pile of shit layered upon historical piles of shit that is Windows.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Next This Summer
26. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 30, 2018, 10:11 Zoom

Kxmode wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 03:26:
That's worse than what Chris Roberts is doing with ships sales and Star Citizen. The only way it would worse is if Chris ever shut down the project and ran away with people's money.
While i never subscribed to the NMS hype (and thus am rather indifferent to it) i must say the situation is much worse with Star Citizen. People are thousands of dollars out with that one, not just 60. And CIG is nowhere near delivering anything remotely close to what they promised, actually they are nowhere near delivering a functional core game (i'm talking just about piloting a ship, trading and shooting stuff, that's it). Game engine is broken beyond redemption and needs to be done all over again 6 years in, $180M later. There's no flight model (it's point and shoot), physics engine breaks on just any interaction, visuals break on pretty much anything, NPC interaction is hilariously broken too, weapons are beyond unbalanced (the shitty flight model doesnt help here), and they partially delivered 4 moons out of the 'full universe' they promised, which doesnt bide well for people who bought expensive exploration ships, game servers crumble over 10 simultaneous players. At the moment, quickly put together graphics engine demos are more complete and run better than this.

My bet is CIG will do a "hit and run" with that one and release the shitty mess that it is and hide quickly from the nuclear backfire.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans
11. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 21, 2018, 00:55 Zoom

If you look closely at moments you can see the GI flicker a bit (although there are so many light sources in this scene it's not very obvious). That's the beauty of ray tracing, no need for light maps, reflection maps, and other dirty trickery. Also it's a bit of a "realism on demand" by that i mean you can tune in more behaviours for each ray, better packed rays for each pixel, and so on as available computing power increases.
I have run realtime ray tracing demos (there's a benchmark floating around) on my i7-990X, and that was a few years ago. It looked quite good, though it was a bit noisy and resolution was not up there yet. Still, if you scale that to the monster GPU power we have today, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

9. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 20, 2018, 11:15 Zoom

That's the thing with ray tracing, you do not need pre-baking light maps and such, as everything is done during the main pass. Where you'd need additional passes is for more ray bounces to be accounted for, and radiosity (and other light scattering effects, as it's basically adding more rays to the scene). Still, it requires a ludicrous amount of floating point firepower, which has been the main blocker for decades. I still believe the heavily scalar GPUs of today could have hardware pipelines for raytracing as they do have that kind of power now. What's interesting here is they also address the noise inherent to this method of rendering.  

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
35. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 20:54 Zoom

theglaze wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 13:27:
Adventure/Puzzle: XING: The Land Beyond, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR
Let's add Edge of Nowhere, because one cannot have enough Lovecraft and that is a huge lot of Lovecraft in there

2. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 19, 2018, 19:39 Zoom

I'm surprised this hasnt been offered by standard T&L hardware pipelines so far. It's very different from current method of rendering, but it can be brute force parallelized, and only requires scalar operations. I know, waiting for Moore's Law to catch up and so on, but i believe the GPU have quite enough power by now to do proper realtime raytraces, not to mention it removes the need for a lot of added trickery in order to make the picture more realistic, as all light reflections, refractions, shadows, etc. are accounted for from the base rendering itself.  

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
6. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 11:12 Zoom

Arithon wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:52:
Or do they expect us to believe postage is $163 (116) per unit?
That would be bullshit since it's certainly not made in the US. Bulk shipping from Asia is probably the same for EU, and they have UK warehouses too. When asked about the price gouging the reason invoked is "but EU customers are richer / have better quality of life" which is not entirely true...

News Comments > Kerbal Expands
9. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 14:46 Zoom

With full mod packs such as Astronomer's, and SVT for detailed terrain graphics, the game looks glorious (though 8K textures require a hefty amount of RAM). Mod support is still fantastic, playing with FAR for extra realism, and a few part mods, the game expands a lot. I've sunk about 1200 hours into it and i'll probably do some more...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2018, 07:20 Zoom

Slick wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 21:22:
The idea of going to jail about reporting facts, is ridiculous. Some people want to just put their heads in the sand on this one...

If she was fabricating or doctoring these videos to incite madness, that would be one thing, but these images are real, and well-documented. Why aren't you angry about that?

If only the regressive left considered the actual real acts being perpetrated against innocent people as the real evil, instead of reporting on it... strange times indeed.
You are missing quite a few points here.
First people who are indicting Le Pen are not the "Left" as you seem to think (current government is a center-right wing coalition). Calling anyone you cannot understand or cannot agree with "Left" or "Commie" is coming from another times...

Next the problem is not the fact or the pictures in themselves, since they are well known and in fact have been published by other outlets. The problem is the context: what Le Pen says around these, how she presents the pictures. Stirring irrational fear and hate, is the basis for promotion of terrorism. Which is what she's condemned for, not for telling the truth. If you still think promoting fear and terror and lies by omission is "the truth" then, maybe you can write a book about your fight for "the truth" and against "leftists", maybe call it "my fight" that would be fitting.

(edit) btw dont think even one second of sullying the memory of all the people who died under the bullets of ISIS terrorists in France. Their political views really dont matter here. European countries are at war against ISIS and this includes not stirring the pot even more and sending fresh recruits their way. Also, more lies and propaganda are being spread here: Le Pen is not going to jail for that, since hate speech is punished by a monetary fine. She risks a lot more for having embezzled EU parliament money...

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2018, 09:02.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2018, 18:35 Zoom

JayDeath wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 17:03:
I'm finally understanding how I should be playing KC:D. It's a bugfest atm but it's really something special.
Some say it's the new Gothic, i suppose (if we refer to Gothic 2 which is the best of the series IMHO), if true then it's indeed very special.

News Comments > Cyan's Firmament Revealed
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2018, 19:57 Zoom

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 17:22:
Seems like this type of game would work well in VR. Havent played Obduction yet, still trying to get through The Witness before I take on another similar game.
They do. It's like a new dimension for point & click adventures, also action-adventure as shown by the excellent Edge of Nowhere. It really brings a new narrative angle since you can "see" through the eyes of the character. If we omit the obvious (simulators) it's one of the best cases for VR.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 2, 2018, 21:09 Zoom

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:36:
Liberal totalitarianism
I think i've read a lot of shit in my life but that takes the cake really ? Can you read that out loud without laughing ?

BTW Le Pen is openly xenophobic, and promotes a neo-nazi ideology. Posting these was just a means for her to stir up hate and dissent. Which people like you seem to relay quite well...

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting
18. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 07:25 Zoom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:57:
If your going games you need to go movies and tv and some music to. Tons of insensitive and hateful content. If that were ever to be reformed, wow talk about a different world in 25 years. Now you'll need votes from the people and congress and for years in succession to pull this stunt off. I don't think he has it in him.
Books. Dont forget books. These things are the devil for Trump and his supporters. They should have people bring their books and burn them in piles to show how they support the effort of their beloved president. Reading is a left-wing thing, it should be banned.
/s

News Comments > Crytek CEO Change
8. Re: Crytek CEO Change Mar 1, 2018, 02:49 Zoom

I'm still amazed that they're alive after all the employees that have left for being not paid, for all the embezzlement and money laundering that took place, and their grasping-at-straws lawsuit that is going nowhere fast (and will cost them a lot just to sustain)... This company buried itself in irrelevance long ago, and yet people are still throwing money at them ?  

News Comments > Defiance 2050 Announced
8. Re: Defiance 2050 Announced Feb 28, 2018, 18:58 Zoom

Nucas wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 18:21:
was there ever anything filling that niche besides this and, like, tabula rasa?
If you mean MMO shooters, there are a few like the Planetside series, or the sadly defunct Face of Mankind.. it's an under appreciated genre i think, Face of Mankind showed what could be done if done right, and it was quite interesting. Too bad it was in the hands of a very small, unkown studio, with too big a project for them.

News Comments > BATTLETECH in April
13. Re: BATTLETECH in April Feb 28, 2018, 09:42 Zoom

True, HBS have a good track record of supporting their games post release. Also the beta while very limited in scope is very promising. So far what we've seen is good, i dont see why we would be negative until we've seen how is the game on release.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH in April
11. Re: BATTLETECH in April Feb 28, 2018, 09:20 Zoom

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 08:04:
Oh really? So you're saying that BattleTech will be released as a flawless finished, feature-complete product in April and that it will not receive any post-release patches including bug fixes and feature updates?
Ever heard of "hyperbole" ? You're doing the questions and answers, mate. Talking to voices in your head maybe ?

Oh btw the "additional features" that are delayed post launch are mostly secondary / fluff (apart from Linux support, which is quite important). I can live without them as long as i have a linux version.

296 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo