Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zoom

Real Name Zoom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 9, 2010, 09:02
Total Comments 224 (Novice)
User ID 55511

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
37. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 18, 2016, 03:38 Zoom

Sho wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 16:26:
If we can dispense with the usual hyperbole, I'd be curious to hear a dispassionate take from someone who's actively following and playing it. How has it been doing lately?
No *real* sign of progress. It's still mostly an unoptimized tech demo limited to one station around one planet, with very few places to explore. The game engine itself is being rewritten (items system for example), and everything else is on very shaky foundations. Only solid thing seems to be the graphical assets, which look good, modelers and artists have done a real good job there.
Player movement is still jerky and unnaturally fast (think Quake3 rather than Arma..), and *very* glitchy (think walking through things, rubberbanding, etc.). Ship combat is hit and miss due to bugs, poor network code, and no balancing, though missiles are strangely satisfying.
There's a "shopping area" that's disconnected from the main world (have to log in a specific instance) and is an on-foot affair.
One can go through the whole contents in about 30 minutes tops including some dogfighting.
In short
- Graphics: very good
- Audio: okay-ish, nothing special, a lot of small glitches left and no in game voice chat (which would be essential for this kind of game)
- Network code: i read it's being redone from zero. It better be..
- Game engine: "persistence" has been activated through the shopping area thing. Otherwise everything is on very weak foundations or missing altogether.
That's it, come back next year to see if they manage to fix the network code...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dishonored 2 in November
32. Re: Dishonored 2 in November May 4, 2016, 17:29 Zoom

Squirmer wrote on May 3, 2016, 21:29:
They've also got Stephen Russell (Garrett) as Corvo.
That's excellent news. Love that actor's voice and cynical acting. Very good move from Arkane here they'll get a lot of Thief fans onboard if they didnt get them with the first game.

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu Next Year
17. Re: Call of Cthulhu Next Year Feb 27, 2016, 06:11 Zoom

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 17:44:
Yeah, okay, but like most Lovecraft translations to film and games, how hard will it suck?
Actually Frictional studio made fantastic translations of Lovecraft world and atmosphere into games. Amnesia was great in this regard. Cyanide will have to top that...

rudra wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 11:26:
how can you actually experience the insanity and all that
In Amnesia it works as you see through the eyes of your character, and you start seeing dark stuff crawling across the view, your heartbeat goes up, breathe heavily, and start crouching in fear in a corner. In Soma they introduce slightly different effects due to the storyline and what the character has become... but the principle remains the same. With their very immersive engine (audio, graphics, 1st person perspective only..) the effect is impressive.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2016, 06:17.

News Comments > Samorost 3 Next Month
4. Re: Samorost 3 Next Month Feb 27, 2016, 06:09 Zoom

The previous iterations were great. Fantastic art and atmosphere. These are defining what a modern point & click should be. 1st day buy here too...  

News Comments > Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY
36. Re: Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY Feb 20, 2016, 03:50 Zoom

Fallout 4 was a disappointment considering the high expectations set for the series. While Witcher 3 is glorious, SOMA is a piece of art and definitely up there, Kerbal Space Program was officially released in 2015 and also a strong contender for the title... But i guess KSP and SOMA cant even compete as they are independant and not a part of "the industry" ? (whatever that means)  

News Comments > World of Warships Launches Team Battles
4. Re: World of Warships Launches Team Battles Feb 13, 2016, 16:08 Zoom

It's addictive because it's good. They have got a good mix between tactics and arcade here. Sounds are excellent, graphics are nice, the ship guns feel appropriately powerful.. Wargaming have struck gold. Now hoping they'll not go down the nerf spiral and keep the game interesting.  

News Comments > Escape from Tarkov Trailer
5. Re: Escape from Tarkov Trailer Nov 27, 2015, 03:58 Zoom

That looks good and atmospheric. Maybe in the spirit of Metro 2033 ? Also seems very hardcore, i'll keep an eye of it.  

News Comments > System Shock Remake Screenshots
19. Re: System Shock Remake Screenshots Nov 27, 2015, 03:44 Zoom

If you want a 'modern' remake of SS2 that's pretty much Dead Space. The scenario and ending of SS2 are quite grim compared to DS though, but DS adds more personality to the main protagonist.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
183. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 16:11 Zoom

Krael wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 16:07:
I'm getting a LOT of entertainment value out of seeing the zealots on both sides of the argument butting heads. Right now I see *that* as the real game

Same here, i hope the actual game will be as fun as watching the fights that revolve around it

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
12. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 14:54 Zoom

Backed immediately, with the $125 house banner. Harebrained are great, Battletech is great, only great things can come out of this.
(edit) oh wow that KS is moving fast, really fast.

News Comments > Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee Free on Steam
10. Re: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee Free on Steam Sep 28, 2015, 16:35 Zoom

It's a good game, classic.  

News Comments > First Wonder Trailer
10. Re: First Wonder Trailer Sep 12, 2015, 05:29 Zoom

Giants was all around great, i hope that one really gives that same feeling of 'i need to play just a bit further..'. Indeed the good writing tied up the game pretty well.

News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
8. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 16:16 Zoom

They are talented. They made small gems of games, they can do it again. A mis step can happen to anyone, let them prove they still have it.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
34. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 16:11 Zoom

I played a lot of Cyberpunk PnP game, also Cyber Generations (a kind of Akira - the RPG), and then Shadowrun which is now clearly superior in scope and depth thanks to many editions and supplements.
Cyber Gen was quite fun, playing kids that were experimented upon / genetically engineered in that brutal world...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
32. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 16:09 Zoom

harlock wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:59:
also the legacy of the Cyberpunk game is about as pure as you can get when it comes to that genre.. its like one step removed from Neuromancer
Well there was Deus Ex, and the old Shadowrun game (the RPG on console), and newer Shadowrun RPG's. Granted, that's not much at all...

News Comments > Seven Announced
16. Re: Seven Announced Aug 17, 2015, 16:33 Zoom

Thief, as a pure Looking Glass game, was all about immersion. That was in good part provided by the forced 1st person view... and the fact you had to rely on your hearing sense to get around guards and such. How can this be achieved in a 3rd person, isometric view ? I have high doubts.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: RIP Aug 1, 2015, 16:55 Zoom

harlock wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 15:32:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick assand Im all out of bubblegum.
Yeah he's now definitely out of bubblegum. RIP Roddy, you were awesome.
Roddy inspired Duke Nukem (the good one), and They Live is also one of my favorite movies of all times.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion
8. Re: MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion Jul 22, 2015, 16:44 Zoom

Strassbourg is in France !  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 17:31 Zoom

harlock wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 16:04:
its a pretty bizarre phenomena.. its like the externalization of neurosis on a global scale... on the surface its presented like the realization of a creative dream, but in reality is just an exercise in pure cynicism of the most insipid and deleterious sort
Like you say just after, it's more a case of the guy who was supposed to lead and get it done, is drinking his own kool aid. I dont think there is malice, just sheer incompetence at all levels up to the top. Keeping scope on such a project would have required someone with a lot of discipline, i think that is what is lacking here. What is sad is the initial project was definitely doable and had potential, now they have dug themselves in so deep they wont escape unless they dig all the way across
What i'm curious about is how fast they'll run out of funding. They seem to spend a lot in huge media appearances, if i was them i'd be laying LOW under the radar and quietly deliver instead of digging my tomb even further...
Derek Smart making fun of them is adding insult to injury.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 15:47 Zoom

While the article is mostly Derek Smart rambling about himself, he's right on the incredibly expanding scope of SC that's been going with a not-so expanding funding - as he mention they are still quite shy from the AAA kind of budget they're shooting for.
Maybe a focused, small colocated team of tight knit veterans could pull off something. Here we're talking about multiple studios spread around the globe, and an off the shelf game engine that is not made for the game genre altogether. Cant see it happening either, and by 2018 when nothing is still delivered the class actions will start and media will go for blood.

224 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo