Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 589 (Apprentice)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CD Projekt Worth $1B
1. Re: CD Projekt Worth $1B Aug 29, 2016, 20:01 NetHead

Typical, inevitable, sarcastic comment about how piracy kills the industry, particularly in regard to PC, and how a high profile game let alone distributor without DRM will fail miserably etc..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 27, 2016, 21:59 NetHead

Zoopster wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 16:53:
Mail.ru forums... I think I found their problem.

Oh no, the reds are coming the red are coming,,,,,yawn.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Critical Flaws Let Attackers Hijack Cellular Phone Towers. Aug 26, 2016, 12:15 NetHead

Well at least they're referring to it as a "critical flaw" rather than "accidental" or "unintended"

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 26, 2016, 12:12 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 10:30:
I still say this sort of drone thing is a bad idea. Besides the further unemployment it creates...

I'm sorry cutter but, I'm going to put it politely, that's damned silly.

That is the worst excuse for such things. Maybe we shouldn't use fridges, remember how all those ice workers lost their jobs, an entire industry wiped out, it even affected other industries like transport. Many such examples.

The robots are coming, also anyone who things they'll stop at "labour" related jobs has their heads in the sand. Non labour related jobs are even cheaper and easier to replace with computers. White collar, blue collar it doesn't matter, the less physical the job the less hardware/maintenance costs, no physical labour get ready to be replaced by remote cloud computing.

If one country doesn't make and use the tech another will and put others to shame, industrial revolution all over again except bigger and humans need not apply.

It could lead to anything from a virtual utopia to another world war.

News Comments > Diablo III Stress Test
4. Re: Diablo III Stress Test Aug 26, 2016, 11:55 NetHead

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 10:10:
Excellent point, Blue. I got all excited reading the story, only to be instantly disappointed.

Diablo 3 in a nutshell.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
10. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 11:03 NetHead

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 10:24:

Damn, hadn't heard about any of that. The "rest of the story" DLC thing is worrisome. If the game sells well anyway, it'll just be the first game to pull that shit, and a ton will follow. Very few publishers are interested in putting out truly worthwhile DLC, especially single-player DLC. There's the obvious "but the Witcher 3 has that!", but W3 is the exception to the rules pretty much across the board.

Why is the Witcher 3 an exception? You say that as if it shouldn't be compared or used as an example in this and other instances.

Deus Ex, which has been going for longer, has at least as much of a fanbase etc. I see no problem with people going "but Witcher 3..." if they feel it's an example of how to better do things. Even if it is a rare and exceptional example it shows such things can be done while being a great success including financially. It even does that without DRM, while Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has the overboard Denuvo (which has been cracked 4 time, the last of which happened pretty quickly).

If you consider some game to be such a good/exceptional example, then use it, rub it in the face of other releases who disappoint or fail to deliver. Instead of trying to oddly exclude something from comparisons or examples because you think it's so good(?) use it as a stick of shame and slap Deus Ex/whoever in the face as if it were a big floppy fish.

News Comments > Worms W.M.D Launch
5. Re: Worms W.M.D Launch Aug 24, 2016, 00:18 NetHead

Rhett wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 22:39:
Looks great!

Only took them how many Worms games to get it right again? Haha.

and in the end all they probably did was upgrade the graphics, or rather a few textures as opposed to trying to "improve" the game resulting in a bunch of travesties.

Worms has sucked since the old ones, can't even remember how old exactly but going by the screenshots I saw it looks like they finally may have pulled their heads out of their rears and made an actual Worms game while thankfully, simply updating the "graphics".

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Next Month
8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Next Month Aug 23, 2016, 12:50 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 19:39:
Love the TB combat. The rest of the game was meh. Just really unfocused, too large and spawling. Everytime I had to take a break from the game and come back to it I was completely lost in where I was going and what I was doing so had to start over and by the third time I just couldn't bother. Let's hope this game is a lot tighter and better focused.

The first was a bug riddled broken mess in many regards, which made it all the more annoying since I waited for the Enhanced/whatever edition, then waited for it to be patched a few times before jumping in, it even got more patches during my playthrough which had as much impact as farting against the wind.

The thing was so bug riddled I stopped keeping track when I could have easily filled a double sided A4 page with succinct bug lists, and they just kept coming.

The crafting is beyond a sad joke, it's unbelievably bad. Then to top that off it ties in with awful vendors compounding what was already and unbelievably bad joke far beyond a sorry excuse for a crafting system.

I think I made a post here before explaining the crafting nonsense, it's horrific and should not have been allowed into the game in such a state.

There were two more problems (one related to skills and bonuses based on what you say, forcing you/your character to either "say" X or risk loosing bonuses/stats whatever, great RPGing right there) and another, but by half way through I had started filtering out so much of the bugs and failures I can't remember them well enough to explain them properly now, this was almost a year ago.

The thing is it was otherwise a good and fun game for the most part, which made the mild and horrific failures and library of bugs all the more annoying. To be clear though, the failures weren't just bad in comparison to the good parts, they were horrific by any standards. If they had hired an outside, inexperienced, competing studio to "bolt on" things like that excuse for crafting I would still have expected worlds better results. (maybe it was a kickstarter promise they knocked off in an afternoon while having drinks and joking about what they were doing)

The game could have been really good, the kind that you point back to wanting more, if the end result weren't so similar to a great sommelier trying to serve a good looking bottle of urine.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details
37. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 23, 2016, 11:32 NetHead

What a load of garbage.

By the sound of things maybe they'll include the the end of the game, some conclusions, in some other DLC.

All the pre-order, season pass, dlc this and dlc that, stuff has put me off new games. At least the big ones which inevitably abuse their name and hype with this kind of nonsense these days.

I guess it's been like a that for a while now, realising I'm paying less and less attention to new games even in franchises I enjoyed the hell out of, Deus Ex being a prime example.

It's just not worth it anymore, reviews are pretty worthless especially with such big titles, the game is going to try milk you for every penny, the game will be buddy, on and on.

The best experience these days, is to wait until it dies down. You end up getting "the full game", mostly patched, at a decent price.

These days it's especially worth waiting if it's a franchise/game you like, if you want the best experience, the full experience, you have to basically wait until the hype has died down and they've wrapped up the game.

1badmf wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 03:57:
yeah i thought it was supposed to unlock at 9PM tonight =( even ditched work.

Which makes things like this all the more perplexing and annoying to me.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 19, 2016, 12:25 NetHead

MattyC wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 00:45:

I thought the whole point of removal was water resistance.....

Which is complete and utter nonsense. Really I'm not attacking or having a jab at you when I say this, I get that people often just read headlines and things can end up just sticking.

Though just think it through for yourself about how a hole with more smaller/finer metal contacts can be more or better water resistant than a hole with simpler and fewer metal contacts. Basically do things essentially get easier or harder when they get smaller and more detailed.

I think I made a post here previously about this, and that, exact subject.

This whole thing is nothing but a self serving whitewash over facts and even common sense.

It's also worth noting which sites blindly regurgitate the nonsense as some kind of improvement.

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 19, 2016, 12:17 NetHead

Once again, the USB type C, which Intel "praises" supports HDCP..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Basically a form of DRM

In order to make a device that works with or uses HDCP you need to pay licensing to Digital Content Protection LLC.

Digital Content Protection LLC is a subsidiary of Intel.

Gee I wonder why Intel is pushing and praising USB type C to replace the simple small and relatively indestructible 3.5mm jacks......

Anyone arguing for this change is either a shill or an idiot, or worse one of those "audiophile" people.

------------

NKD wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:04:
Its always been better to get digital audio from the source and then use separate DAC hardware. You can pick and choose which hardware you use, instead of just being stuck with whats in your phone/motherboard/whatever. Once the audio has gone through some cheap ass DAC, it's already ruined and no fancy headphones or hardware will make it sound good again.

Yes because everyone uses their mobile phones for high quality studio audio recording and playback, meanwhile humans can't tell the difference between audio played over gold wire versus cheap bent metal coat hangers (yes this kind of thing has actually been tested)...... lmao. Really I don't "lmao" often, but L M A O !

"Audiophiles" are worse than wine tasters.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2016, 12:28.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Da Orks Released
1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Da Orks Released Aug 19, 2016, 11:22 NetHead

There's a lot I like about some Warhammer 40K games though the Orks is not one of them.

It would be okay, or even good if they were just savage brutes but the whole "boyzzzzzzz" crap is frankly embarrassing just witnessing. Every time an ork opens its mouth in Warhammer it makes me cringe and disappointed at the same time.

A planet being invaded by a relentless savage green wave, only to be revealed as a bunch of things all more cheesy than mickey mouse, greaaaaaat.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Next Month
9. Re: Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Next Month Aug 19, 2016, 08:55 NetHead

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 12:44:
Sheesh, $440 for cosmetics? I know they are optional, but the human race being what it is, I'm sure some people are buying those packages.

Looks like PoE is doing pretty well, financially.

It may seem outrageous, excluding for people with more disposable income, but they have a track record of delivering on the game for years.

If someone with even an average disposable income had been playing and enjoying it since open beta, that's going on 3 years of entertainment, then that $440 would end up being about $14 per month. So it probably isn't the hardest thing for someone to rationalise, especially when the product etc has been delivered first and progressed in a way they like.

So I don't have a problem with people buying those more expensive packages, it's not like they're spending a fortune for a .jpg of something that may or may not exists at some point like a certain other game. This game's already delivered and chances are most if not virtually all money comes from people who have racked up many hours of play and are "paying" retroactively with amounts of their choosing.

Can you imagine if more games worked like that, or a more customer friendly way, where people pay what they wanted or thought it was worth after having played the game. That rare optional retroactive payment of $400 seems a stark contrast with the prices of games today where they sell "Season Passes" and don't even list what will be in it, or where they think such cosmetic bonuses warrant "pre-order" nonsense.

Of all the B.S going on in gaming these days, this retroactive optional pay-what-you-want (and get some bonus cosmetic stuff) is not only something I wouldn't complain about but rather one of the very few good things around.

I dare more games to even attempt it, to see just how good and worthwhile people really think their game/product/service is. Might actually have games produced around what people want rather than what marketing tells them they want.

I haven't played PoE in ages though I would still have one complain, that is that Stash Tabs are not cosmetic. They could even be considered pay-to-win, especially when they introduced recipes which required hoarding things, though with the plethora of items it was already an issue before that. Stash Tabs are no doubt their biggest money maker and are an incentive to add more things to the game to fill peoples stashes so they buy more (crafting items, maps, pots and who knows what else these days).

Still that's a pretty minor complaint compared to all the positives with the aforementioned optional payments for a lot of entertainment.

Typos This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2016, 10:16.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 17, 2016, 12:46 NetHead

Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 09:35:
That happens during development and this sort of thing is why developers should never interact with the public. Everything is suddenly a promise and if a feature doesn't make it then the people who wanted it take it as a personal slight. Whether it was in the game at some point and cut or never made it, the effect is the same. I'm sure many of those were present but didn't make the final cut. Sony should've just stuck with traditional advertising campaigns instead of parading Murray around on late night shows.

Oh come on. There's a massive difference between saying "We're trying to add X to the game, hopefully we can pull it off" and "The game features X".

In this instance there even seems to be videos showing them making statements saying features x,y,z will be/are present, yet aren't. There are apparently even videos of them demonstrating the game which turned out not to be representative of what was delivered.

Also why make such broad statements which are inevitably outright wrong. How many games have benefitted from the developer interacting with public/fans. Many have, yet that's hardly a reason to state every dev must interact with the public. Maybe if any dev in question were competent enough and actually knew what they were doing, what they're capable of within limits effecting them, they could interact with the public taking in worthwhile information while filtering out the unfeasible, ridiculous or things upvoted by the reddit/4chans/monkeys of the internet etc.

There is nothing wrong with a dev "interacting" with the public, only how the dev may handle it.

In the case of this No Mans Sky, all interaction seems to have basically been making statements to drive hype, ie something completely self beneficial, it all amounting to PR/marketing. Not something I would really call "interaction". More like a one way flow of information, the truth of which some are calling into question (or rather pointing at along with things to the contrary).

--

Also, as for people who say things like all/many E3 demonstrations are bad/misleading/deliberate lies, that doesn't make it okay or justify another doing it or joining in. Does this concept even need to be explained...

--

It's also ever increasingly ridiculous how readily some people defend companies which profit, here with increased sales, by making false claims. I'm starting to view more and more people like like an abused spouse defending the abuser and their actions. Making statements and excuses about why something untrue, whether due to incompetence or deceit, is somehow the public's fault for believing it. These days it seems we even have SJW's for companies, especially when it comes to games.

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
31. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 21:32 NetHead

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 10:15:
nin wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 09:36:
I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. It was a fun game, and seemed to have good word of mouth as well...

The lack of a real level editor, half baked multiplayer and the fact that the game files are encrypted using denuvo (aka making modding difficult to impossible) is why interest waned. The original Doom sold on word of mouth and also because you could easily modify the wads and share levels and add new stuff....

I just want to point out that Bethesda, if they so desired, could have allowed modding/level creation etc while having Denuvo/DRM. The DRM isn't preventing that so much as Bethesda may be using it to help prevent it, if you see what I mean. Not that I am in any way defending or encouraging DRM.

Infact I wouldn't be surprised if polishing their editor and adding some documentation along with alterations to the game to support such modding, would have been less work than the time and effort they've put into the horrendous SnapMap, more so if it was a decision from the start. (The more I think about developing SnapMap compared to a more traditional editor/modding support the more of a clumsy nightmare SnapMap becomes in comparison)

So then the question is "why". Why would Bethesda do that to a game, do more work to have poorer, "dumbed down" modding support. Nevermind how the Doom franchise is arguably legendary for modding support in some ways, people are still making things for the originals today. Begging a further question of, so of all the franchises why this one.

Well Bethesda's track record doesn't make it hard to "speculate" (read know exactly what they were thinking/doing). Bethesda arguably more than anyone knows how much their games and themselves can benefit from user made content, mods.

Bethesda would love control of mods for their games, they would also love to get those mods onto consoles be it for potential monetisation or to make their games, at least the console versions, more attractive. Let the "community" complete/fill/expand the game, adding value.

It doesn't help if the PC version has loads of maps, mods, total conversions etc thanks to tools not possible on the consoles. Not to mention maps/scenarios which would be impossible to run on consoles even if ported, thus the limitations imposed on creation when using SnapMap, such as room/monster limits to avoid going beyond what the consoles could handle for example memory/performance limits etc and lets even avoid potential bugs of making a mod designed for PC and tested on PC when simply "ported" to the console version.

Hence SnapMap, and the extra or rather excessive effort put into it. Parity on the platforms while forcing any "PC" mods to be compatible with the console versions. It's basically a move in the hope of forcing any PC user content to be console compatible from the start (can you imagine they tried to do this after the modding became established, such as with TES, they've learned, though clearly have not given up)

So that second question, begged, why this game. Well it's a franchise that's already known for users creating content and expanding it, though it's also a long overdue reboot which is an important distinction compared to trying this with something like TES (not only the complexity typical of each games mods). There are people out there who would love the thought of a new Doom coming out and making content for that, what better chance to jumpstart a games modding, especially if gimped.

Anyone who doesn't think such an experienced company, especially in regards to this specific topic, doesn't think these things through before hand and have plans beyond the game itself, naively has their heads in the sand. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's business, in an industry moving more money than ever before.

Why do people think mobile games make so much money (it's massive incase you don't know). Is it the upfront cost? (often free) Or is it "in app purchases" and the like. Does anyone really think no-one has though about if only they could get that going on other platforms, especially ones which already have that large upfront payoff (PC/Console). These days I can easily imagine someone going that's a ridiculous paranoia until the word "microtransactions" slaps them. The only thing sweeter would be if those "in app purchases" were for user made content. Talk about a self filling money machine if pulled off, paying customers paying for the things they've paid to create.

Bethesda is so blatantly pursing this, yet how many people, including many who consider themselves tech savvy and informed etc were to busy being interested in a neutered editor called SnapMap when revealed rather than having a neon WTF sign over their heads.

News Comments > Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month
4. Re: Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month Aug 10, 2016, 20:01 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 19:08:
LOOOOOOOOOOOL@FlipFlopSoft

This game must have failed so hard on the Windows store for them to make this desperate move. Hahaha... a most gleeful experience I must say. I might even pick up the Steam version when it goes on sale for sub $5 one day. There's no way I'm paying any more than pennies for a game that has an abysmal 62 MC score and that is published by FlipFlopSoft to add insult to injury.

While part of me would like to laugh at the thought of the exclusivity Windows 10/UWP being a failure for sales etc. It's more likely it was just a timed exclusive.

Though from what I've seen and know about the game I wouldn't be surprised if any flopping would have happened regardless, due entirely to the game itself.

Apart from being a new IP (which is always a brave step), Quantum Break turned out to be a sophisticated, visually stunning shooter with a top-notch cast of characters.

I'm having a hard time with that sinking in. It's written as if by a reviewer though it's a statement by the devs. Isn't it? Maybe they should just get a room with themselves/eachother and get it over with...

Also a new IP being brave? Maybe if it wasn't as typical a game as a hollywood movie. Oh wait, this is pretty much the hollywood equivalent of a game. Spare me.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Hotfix
3. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Hotfix Aug 10, 2016, 07:17 NetHead

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 00:38:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 15:16:
Firefox fixed? Finally!
Now nvidia just needs to catch up.

Maybe the problem is Firefox.

A few years ago I would get BSODs when using ATi, Youtube and Firefox with hardware acceleration. ATi patched it then later Firefox had an update that started it again.

Eventually it seemed it was solved for good, though I've long since stopped using Firefox I'm not surprised to hear about it causing problems again. It's like Mozilla just doesn't care.

Complex 3D applications/games, new and old with few exceptions work perfectly, a painfully simple application by comparison has a years long habit of crashing if not bringing down the entire system when it touches hardware acceleration.

hmmmm, I'm going to go out on a limb and point the finger at that particular application rather than AMD or Nvidia's hardware or drivers.

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
32. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 10, 2016, 00:01 NetHead

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 13:39:
Bethesda is working on a Morrowind Remaster? Now that would be something I'm interested in. The Skywind mod seems to be in development hell anyway. Don't care about Rage or The Evil Within, but I would pay good money for a remastered Morrowind.

No they aren't and no it wouldn't.

There's no point in them doing a remaster of Morrowind, either for themselves, the game, or for fans.

There are so many mods for it they would never be able to match the Morrowind that is available today (as is the case for any of their games that get modded).

There is even an alternative open source engine being developed, OpenMW, that runs the original assets and so is compatible with all the traditional mods for Morrowind. As far as such efforts go it's doing surprisingly well, though for now I still prefer the original engine thanks to things like MGE.

The only thing Bethesda could do for Morrowind, presuming they could be bothered, is adding even some basic multi-threading and culling to it while making sure not to do anything to drastic to break non standard mods or at least not make it to hard to get them working again (such as MGE).

You'd pay good money for a remastered Morrowind? Well how about just some time since it's free to install some mods which make the game vastly better than it used to be.

You could search for, Morrowind STEP, Morrowind MGE, and check the Nexus for any mods that catch your fancy.

Really a remastered Morrowind by Bethesda would be a sad joke in comparison, it simply would not be "Morrowind". The only thing worse would be pinning one's hopes on something like Skywind or whatever the latest useless eyecandy demo of a fad is.

.....Actually come to think of it the best thing Bethesda could do for Morrowind is to either contribute to or financially support the effort to make the alternative engine OpenMW.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 9, 2016, 23:36 NetHead

Malvok wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 22:11:
Heh, the Wired article about no one being able to stop ad blocking blocks the page when adblock plus is used to view it.

Only if you let it.

Try uBlock Origin and NoScript (with adblock plus is you like), also set your browser to ask before allowing a page to redirect you.

That should avoid the vast majority of sites moaning about adblocking.

In the rare cases that it doesn't it's usually because they've layered the message over the content an then remove the message with scripts (something which doesn't happen since NoScript is obviously being used to stop useless annoying risky scripts).

Though that's easily solved by either uBlock Origin or AdblockPlus with the Element Hiding Helper, which will let you select an element on the page to block (also extremely handy for blocking crap you don't like on any site).

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
39. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 NetHead

LiTh wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:16:
Nothing more enjoyable then watching Blues posters bitch and moan about microsoft as they post from their microsoft OS's.

So people shouldn't, bitch and moan, about thing they use causing problems?

Especially when there are so many alternatives...

Infallible logic you have there.

589 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo