Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 976 (Graduate)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 31, 2017, 12:52 NetHead

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:29:
Rhett wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:52:
That is hilarious if true (Denuvo). Denuvo's gonna put itself out of business...

What's the over/under on when it gets cracked? The last few Denuvo protected games have taken a day or so, but no crack so far.

Denuvo is still running even after it's cracked so cpu usage would not change.

Seen this nonsense in so many places. One would think even common sense would be enough to come to a reasonable conclusion, so much for that.

It would depend entirely, and obviously, on how the DRM is being circumvented.

Some will fool it (meaning it is till present, active and running). Some will bypass it (meaning it's present but never executed, never active, never does anything, may as well be commented out code as it's jumped/skipped over, it is not running on the system and obviously nor does it require any of the DRM services to be present/running etc). Some will outright remove it.

The performance difference would depend on the circumvention method and performance impact of the DRM to being with.

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 15:56:
It's VMProtect + Denuvo so no one knows, going to require more time than usual I suspect.

Denuvo used to include VMProtect, essentially nothing new here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2017, 21:29 NetHead

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 18:26:
NetHead wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 18:04:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 16:06:
If AMD can keep this up, maybe Ryzen CAN compete with the I7. Im still leaning Intel for my next build, but this is promising. Games in general still rely on higher speeds, fewer cores. If/when that changes, I'll be switching to AMD.

A big help toward that would be getting Unreal and Unity onboard with engines focused on using as many cores as possible.

The thing in, that often small performance advantage hardly ever makes a difference. Virtually everyone plays games with framerates capped at some number, as you should, and unless you're struggling to reach that framerate number that extra performance isn't doing anything. Unless it brings you over that threshold it's a price premium that isn't actually doing anything.

So in game X one CPU can push 160FPS and the other CPU 180FPS, what's the point if your monitor is a 144Hz, or even lower. What's been gained by going for that extra performance and cost. Meanwhile there are other uses which don't suffer in this regard. Compression/decompression, encoding/decoding, general PC multitasking, a world of things that don't have that "cap" and easily benefit from more cores.

Yeah, I'd say install Kerbal Space Program and learn the hard way that frame-rate and sim-rate are 2 things you WILL care about in some games, Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines also come to mind (great FPS, shit sim-rate because everything simulation wise hangs up on 1 thread that sits on 1 core and really needs that 1 core 100%)

While frame-rate is needless above a certain value, sim-rate is latency based, meaning more power = less latency = more sim = more latency. You can never have too many or too fast CPU cores in games that simulate something.

5 times faster CPU cores would mean 5times bigger Cities Skylines map, and instead of a 300 part ship, we could fly a 1500 part ship. Which would be huge, we could suddenly instead of allowing more than 500 parts simulate pressure phenomena, liquid flow calculations, exhaust-gas-behaviors etc.

And especially KSP and Cities Skylines would be depending on Unity making MT easier, more supportive and faster.

So you got it entirely wrong. CPU's have no bearing (beyond a point) on frame-rates, they make however all the difference in the world when you have a SIMULATION rate that you need to keep BELOW the frame-latency otherwise the simulation rate slows down. Meaning what is 1 second of simulation now happens in 2 seconds of real-time.

Frame-rate literally never caps simulation rate in games, in fact in most games that aren't coded by braindead idiots (aka console ports) frame-rate and simulation-rate are disconnected. The reason games don't increase in complexity is that simulation-rate performance of CPU's has not increased substantially until Ryzen 1600 and 1800 released.

"Yeah" First of all nothing you've said disqualified what I said or the point made. You've merely added another consideration, which is perfectly fine though would be better if accurate. So I'm curious as to where you're pulling such condescension from, I often feel obliged to return favours.

Otherwise I understand what you're saying, or trying to since you seem to lack the technical knowledge to articulate it. So I'll just go with it, from your CPU which is 5 times faster (which is also more mythical than hypothetical until you care to point to competing CPUs where one is so incredibly faster) to your technical pseudonyms.

Speaking of, "sim rate" can and does run into a "cap" similar to what I mentioned in framerate. If there's enough performance to get it fast enough the rest of the available performance is wasted in that instance in regard to that task, nevermind any further "premium" performance. Not only can it and does it, it hitting this "cap" is virtually always deliberate and something that needs to be painfully managed. Playing a rare old game which doesn't manage it you can watch a timer count through minutes in a few seconds. This is something that is strictly controlled and an utter screwup when it isn't, for very many reasons.

In words of Inigo Montoya "that word, I do not think it means what you think it means" literally. Perhaps at least look into things a little before dropping "literal" snark bombs. Framerate can and sometimes (wait for it) literally does limit sim rate (I'm dropping the quotation marks, you're welcome).

One of the reasons for doing this, relates to what I mentioned before about strictly controlling the sim rate and furthermore the use of the word "painfully" because controlling it is far from the easiest thing in the world. Linking sim rate to framerate, then limiting framerate is an easy way of,,, limiting/capping/controlling your sim rate. This has been done in both old and new games, it's not a great practice or good way to go about things and there are far to many games that suffer and annoy due to limiting their sim rate in this way. In such games removing the framerate may not only effect he sim rate but can result in things like breaking physics simulation. (at this rate this sim rate is going to give me a nervous "tick")

So the fact, that sim rate is and should be limited, strictly managed, is in fact an example that goes hand in hand with the point about framerate. As when the performance available exceeds what's needed that performance is not being used, / wasted.

I haven't forgotten about the 5 times faster competing CPU and even if it were to materialise it wouldn't matter, and not simply because sim rate is something that's limited. Games need to be designed with some form of lowest common denominator in mind, or rather many including performance. Such intrinsic design elements are limited by that, that's one of the reasons console ports got such vile thrown their way from the original Xbox days. Just because some have better hardware doesn't mean they're going to design and make games to fully utilise it thus excluding the vast majority from being paying customers.

Having a 5 times faster CPU in gaming would have a single standout aspect, a hell of a lot of wasted and untapped performance. While if everyone had a 5 times faster CPU, well then it wouldn't be 5 times faster because they would all be the same speed.

Single core CPU performance may truly be coming to a climax, Moore's Law will end (or it will "eat the universe" as Bob Cowell points out with his usual tongue in cheek). The whole drive behind multi-core and multi-threading is necessity and there's a distinct possibility that if devs want 5 times the performance over today's CPUs they may be forced to properly use multi-threading baring a paradigm shift in the technology.

Also sim rate as pointed out is managed/controlled, it is not latency based or latency limited. When talking about latency in regards to CPUs it's going to take a hell of a lot of reading to come to terms with it, if one ever truly does they may as well move on to cache coherence.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
15. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 28, 2017, 18:45 NetHead

LittleMe wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 15:23:
Then maybe, depending on the crime, some sort of stigma or record. Maybe a brand on the forehead of 'scammer' to warn others.

I think that's a load of crap. Once dues have been paid that's it.

Some kind of stigma or ostracising isn't a deterrent and hinders rehabilitation and reintegration into society which in turn encourages illegal activity, most likely the activity which started it all since the person is already familiar with it.

It's stupid and counter productive.

If you make it hard for a conartist to get a job what do you think they're going to turn to.................

/HomerFacePalm

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2017, 18:04 NetHead

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 16:06:
If AMD can keep this up, maybe Ryzen CAN compete with the I7. Im still leaning Intel for my next build, but this is promising. Games in general still rely on higher speeds, fewer cores. If/when that changes, I'll be switching to AMD.

A big help toward that would be getting Unreal and Unity onboard with engines focused on using as many cores as possible.

The thing in, that often small performance advantage hardly ever makes a difference. Virtually everyone plays games with framerates capped at some number, as you should, and unless you're struggling to reach that framerate number that extra performance isn't doing anything. Unless it brings you over that threshold it's a price premium that isn't actually doing anything.

So in game X one CPU can push 160FPS and the other CPU 180FPS, what's the point if your monitor is a 144Hz, or even lower. What's been gained by going for that extra performance and cost. Meanwhile there are other uses which don't suffer in this regard. Compression/decompression, encoding/decoding, general PC multitasking, a world of things that don't have that "cap" and easily benefit from more cores.

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
25. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jun 27, 2017, 17:53 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 16:40:
The problem isn't that we hate all cops and love criminals. The problem is that police culture itself goes to any and all lengths to protect those bad apples from reprocussions. Also police acadamies spend 10 hours on deescalation techniques but 90 hours on firearm training. And so we end up with hundreds of innocent lives lost.

The UK and Japan average about one suspect killed by police per year. We average 1000 in the US. That's a primary cause of the ill will cast at police despite the majority being good people trying to do a hard job.

I think that sums it up well, people aren't running around simply being anti cop.

Everyone knows there's good and bad ones even while they complain and joke, and to complain about people which complaining about cops and the messed up system which causes ridiculous damage and even loss of life, essentially lobbing them all into a single group while bemoaning them for putting all cops into a single group.. well need to take a step back, take a breath and maybe prioritise get some perspective.

Anyway, as for viewing the cop situation from the outside, from a place that's far from perfect, I can only describe it using the word insane. It even seems like in some instances they are actively and effectively weeding out the good cops, nevermind protecting the bad ones.

The problem there is deep seeded and established, it's a far bigger problem than the people making jokes about it or complaining about it. Holy crap.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 27, 2017, 14:50 NetHead

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 08:45:
Nintendo made 2 million of the NES classic which was a horrible miscalculation of the demand. They also gave Japan over half of the fucking allocation despite home console sales diminishing rapidly there. They claim they will do better this time but it will need to be a lot better to meet demand. Like 10 million minimum. They already announced it was a time limited run too which is a mistake, the hoarders will hoover them up.

Miscalculation. Mistake.

You speak as if Nintendo doesn't know exactly how it would play out, how their announcement would encourage people to buy more purely with the intent of selling them like ticket scalpers, and more.

Also sounds as if you think Nintendo's goals are to make people happy.

I'm apologise if I sound snide or condescending, though I am having a hard time containing myself here, with this.

Nintendo is not some amateur, they know and knew exactly what they were doing. Before production even started they had considered everything you've thought of retrospectively and so much more, more thoroughly.

Nintendo was never going to make money on the NES Classic, keep in mind making money means making worthwhile money, an amount which justifies the time, work, risk, faults/returns, support, etc. The NES Classic was never about making worthwhile amounts of money and couldn't be about that as it was and is not a possibility.

(All that even ignoring how Nintendo wants to sell those "classic" games as a service, and actually making them available en-mass via such means (ie NES Classic) would be shooting their "as a service" attempt in the foot, while taking on many risks, work, time, investment)

The NES Classic and any announcement that encouraged "scalping" purchases was meticulously planned and timed.

To put it simply, the NES Classic was a well planned and executed marketing campaign. A successful one.

First off it put the Nintendo name "out there" (more is always better).

It got specifically "classic" Nintendo games out there, which benefits their classics "as a service" desires (I've also long since lost count how many times they've resold classics digitally which is also something to consider).

The deliberate shortage, again aimed at their "as a service" desires as they've then created a demand which their service can potentially fill (exclusively if it's the only way to get it, wink).

Meanwhile the scalping like results increases perceived value of the Nintendo brand and products. Many will cherish that once used NES Classic like it's worth 20 times more than it ever really was. (this kind of thing is very valuable for brands, people think Apple is good at this crap, "they ain't got shit" on Nintendo).

Even hypothetically suggesting Nintendo grossly misjudged demand on the NES Classic it making massive assumptions that they know very little about their own company and sources of profit, especially the sources of profit that require the least work and risk (like the perpetual reselling of classics digitally and now more as a service, which in turn feeds back into selling hardware generations...).

This is a company that's been around since before the fall of the Ottoman Empire, if they were in the habit of being so ridiculously incompetent Nintendo would have died out ages ago. No, they're still around because they know exactly what they're doing.

The NES Classic was a cheap marketing harp and they played everyone so well with it they managed to slip their entire other hand up your arses without you so much as blinking.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2017, 12:29 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 12:10:
A better article would be the follow-up of what these monsters are getting for prison time. All of these constitute wire fraud and bank fraud which are 20 years and 30 year sentences respectfully...for each count. I think a 20 year minimum sentence for these sorts of scams would be a good start and about the only deterrent that would work, Some of these more egregious offenders should be getting life without parole. That'd send a clear message, And these online funding platforms need to take the time to remind would be scammers of that.

Screw that, free B&B for 20 years on other people's money/tax lol.

How about 20 years community services, so they can keep paying their own bills while doing things that benefit others

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 25, 2017, 20:12 NetHead

MeanJim wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 17:14:
This has been built into the Steam client for a while now. Right click the game, properties, local files move install folder. They mention that in the 3rd paragraph of the article.

I don't read things I bitch about, this is the internet, man.

Laughs aside I stand by what I said, that such a headline for such software by such a company can exist at this point.

This should have been v1 functionality, a right-click, dialogue box, confirmation box, processing/done. Over a decade ago.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 25, 2017, 13:12 NetHead

Transfer Steam Games to an SSD without Redownloading.

Well over a decade old now, insanely successful and profitable, how on earth does such a headline even exist today.

From a programming side it's dead simple and easy to add the user friendly functionality of being able to move games, i.e. change it's freaking path.

How it is possible to have such a monumental "don't give a shit" attitude about one's main product/service that something so simple wasn't added in a days work during beta, nevermind headline worthy over a decade later.

I can't imagine a company the world over that wouldn't be jealous of being able to have such utter disregard for their product and customers while being hailed as the savoir of the industry with countless of those same customers helping drive it towards a monopoly.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 12:46 NetHead

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:13:
I generally ignore anything Derek Smart says. Just a nutcase that is well known for his bug ridden crap that he calls games.

A true case of the pot calling the kettle black....

Sometimes, who better to identify the kettle than the pot?

News Comments > More on PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Success
2. Re: More on PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Success Jun 25, 2017, 12:35 NetHead

After hearing so much about its popularity its success isn't surprising. The user base was a bit surprising though perhaps shouldn't have been.

I wonder how long until China is the main consumer for most "western" games and at what point does that become possibly the main focus and influence on design.

Could be interesting to see, along with the reactions and realisations, by some.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto OpenIV Returns
2. Re: Grand Theft Auto OpenIV Returns Jun 24, 2017, 11:05 NetHead

You'd think by now, long before now, the companies, bean counter and other suits doing game "design" and making decisions at these big places would realise that mod support official or not helps their games sell because it helps create a community and fans, benefiting the entire franchise and more.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 23, 2017, 20:12 NetHead

YourNick wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 17:05:
The umbrella term VR (Virtual Reality) isn't very descriptive. What they should say is stereoscopic (offset 'points of view' for each eye.)

But they're putting everything behind the term VR because VR is the next big thing, happening right now, tomorrow, umm next month, soon, one day.

Anyway VR is the next big thing, you think people are going to fork out for stereoscopic mini-monitors strapped to their face? Hell no, but for VR, it's totally going to be, I mean is, the next big thing, this time it will make it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 23, 2017, 20:01 NetHead

Maybe they should, I don't know, focus on games ....................  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Standalone Coming
2. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Standalone Coming Jun 23, 2017, 19:58 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 19:32:
Hahahahahaha $40 + $15 for the map pack for a remastered CoD. They know no shame but rightfully so. The CoD lemmings will lap this up like it is honey and milk.

Seems even CJ can't muster up enough hate to adequately describe this ripoff.

This, after they've already been forcing anyone wanting to buy it to get it bundled with some other CoD:BS. It is literally beyond triple dipping.

Seriously people just go pirate this crap (it's actually been available since last year lol, add repack to your search if you want something smaller to download), you'll storm through it in a couple of hours and never play it again. Hell it only has one good mission and it's not nearly as good today as it was back in its day. That one mission was great in its day, but it's also the kind of thing which doesn't age well, it was underwhelming replaying it even if the visuals were solid, impressive even. The rest of the game, in one ear and out the other, seriously so forgettable don't remember anything else other than the starting boot camp thing.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 23, 2017, 14:43 NetHead

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 09:36:
NKD wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 20:00:
Hope they brought some Simulator games for Merkel, Germans love those.

I bet Prison Architect would be a huge hit.

Tropico.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 23, 2017, 14:40 NetHead

NKD wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 21:25:
Solid SCOTUS ruling. Banning users from sites should be the choice of the people running the platform in question, not the government.

I think things are more complicated than that. Especially when dealing with a term that has and continues to be applied to anything from a habitual predator to someone having a drunken leak in an empty playground at night, and countless variables between including things like young lovers. That's a whole massive problem on its own.

In some of those instances in a world where you can digitally do more than easily case or stalk a stupid helpless innocent, I'm reluctant to just brush off a suggestion of trying some preventative measures.

Though since virtually everything ends up labeled as binary bullshit, in systems which love to make "examples" and "throw the book", etc, I do agree such wide measures wouldn't be right when it sweeps up many that it shouldn't.

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil 2 Video
6. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Video Jun 23, 2017, 14:13 NetHead

..create your character, select your own character..

Well there's goes any and all my expectations of Beyond Good and Evil, 2.

These idiots.

News Comments > For Honor Competitive Mode and Duel Tourney Testing Next Week
3. Re: For Honor Jun 23, 2017, 14:08 NetHead

MrGrosser wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 10:44:
They've got a really small pool to get people from. It's 24hr peak was less than 2000 users. In the past month, it's only been above that a handful at times. Another "great in theory" game.. just poorly executed.

I haven't anything that was great about this game in theory.

On paper it was an abysmally shallow rinse an repeat gindfest by design to help (rather created around the goal of) sell unlockable content. Adding anything else to the description would be far more negative than that.

Things like this are a prime example of games by committee. Blatantly designed wholly around points to create something disguised as a game.

Doing as little as possible, reusing as much as possible so the investment is as low as possible. Design something which not only facilitates but encourages further spending/profit to avoid the grind (otherwise knows as playing a game when it isn't complete shit).

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans
6. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 PC Plans Jun 23, 2017, 12:52 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:06:
They will also release this on GOG, Steam, Origin, uPlay, right?

Yeah. I lol'ed, too.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 11:51:
PC =! W10 ;/

All appropriate sentiments.

The one and only reason this game, or any Microsoft game that they take seriously, financially, comes to PC is to push their own Windows store and Windows 10/Next.

I'd gladly admit I'm wrong, in the specific instance, when a wholly Microsoft game doesn't require DirectX 12 which they've in turn arbitrarily limited to Windows Next, rather than using Vulkan or even DX11/OpenGL.

Microsoft only cares about PC gaming insofar as using it as a stick, they don't even care about using it as a carrot anymore though they may sometimes still dress it as such. Make no mistake Microsoft knows it's a big stick and they're flogging PC gaming every chance they get.

976 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo