Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 897 (Graduate)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
15. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:39 NetHead

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 14:22:
Steam reviews indicate...this game is shit, compared to DoW1.

Oh well, I can write Relic off as a studio now, officially, at least.

They want to be some sort of MOBA/multiplayer Esport game company, not a good RTS company.

That's a shame, chasing some other popular format instead of just making a good game.

Relic seems to make strange RTS games, looking at their releases it can be summed up as Homeworld, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes. It's starting to seem like they have a formula they make their games from and the franchise gets applied to it, like Ubisoft does.

Hamfistedly forcing MOBA/esports into the mix seems like a loss. Not only because there's already so much competition there but in this case because Dawn of War already has so many fans wanting a new game, a new Dawn of War game. I'd be surprised if DoW wasn't Relic's most loved game with the most fans waiting for more of what made them love it. Ripe for the picking in a genera with little competition and they instead steer into Esports, foolish. Don't know and can't even guess if it's Relic or Sega who pushed for it.

Looking at the reception of Dawn of War, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm on Steam they get from 80% to 95%, the 80% actually being a standout in only recent Soulstorm ratings while all others are 90+. It then declines severely from there with sequels.

Arguably their best game being the only typical RTS game they've ever made, makes it all the more nonsensical straying further from a typical RTS especially with that franchise.

I haven't seen anything about Dawn of War 3 that makes me want to play it, while things like "esports" makes me want to avoid it and this isn't the only mention of it as some thoughtful reviews also point out that aspect being there at the expense of the game.

What a failure, it doesn't matter if this game breaks even or makes decent profit etc, it's a failure compared to what it could have been both as a game and it's reception.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2017, 23:35 NetHead

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 17:46:
Witcher 1 is pretty cool, but it'd be rough to go back to after Witcher 3. If anyone does play through it, I'd recommend putting it on easy and just following a guide. Even doing that means it'll still take you like 60 hours to finish, but then you don't have to spend hours / days figuring out where to go and getting frustrated at the, quite frankly, god-awful combat.

The thing with Witcher 1 is once you know what you're doing combat wise it's ridiculously easy. I don't remember which potions anymore but popping 1 to 3 before fights turns them into slaughters. Though if you get things wrong even common fights can seem impossible.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
15. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 10:10 NetHead

ZeroPike1 wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 14:48:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:59:
Russian man gets longest-ever US hacking sentence, 27 years in prison.

And yet people convicted of manslaughter routinely get half that.

Human life is getting cheaper by the day. But if you get your tractor fixed with third party parts, or hack into digital systems your life is over.

Disobey one corporation and become the property of another.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 22, 2017, 13:24 NetHead

Tumbler wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 10:28:
People have codes to sell, and devs don't like it becoming more common place. I used to trade console games on sites like Goozex and 99gamers and those always screwed up by trying to have their own currency. You could also list game codes for sale but there was more risk involved for the buyer and seller because there wasn't a way to verify the code...

That's part of the crux. The only ones who can verify a code is the developer. They are the authority when it comes to which codes are valid for their game, which codes where bought fraudulently and should be revoked and so on.

Yet when they complain to G2A to remove such codes and G2A asks for the codes in question they refuse, sometimes rudely and publicly. They just publicly cry while moaning that G2A has to fix everything without G2A even knowing which codes are the problem.

It's like a bunch moaning and berating Ebay/pawnshop etc for selling stolen goods yet refusing to even list the items in question. How is anyone supposed to remove the items or look into the associated accounts with zero cooperation or information behind accusations.

These "devs" are so damned full of themselves and beyond entitled, they've become a mob. G2A wanted to offer some partnership program where devs get 10% of every second hand code sale and the devs almost started flinging feces at them. Because 10% on the second sale of a code, which has already been paid for in the first sale, is to low apparently even though they deserve 0% there.

They also wanted to have devs sell directly on G2A, offering them almost 90% of the profits, compare that to Valve, GOG etc that take about 30%+. How do you think that was met, with joy or even cautious optimism, or insults and public shaming.

The devs really have become like a mob, each delivering kicks and screams with not one of them willing to cooperate in fixing their problem. Yes this is their problem.

This is as close as it gets to actual digital piracy, unlike how the term is usually abused, people buying codes often directly from the devs with stolen cards and the money gets removed so a code/game was stolen.

Do these devs get insurance and go with appropriate payment methods, no.

Do they reveal the codes in question so they can be blacklisted on G2A or any such sites, no.

Do they revoke codes bought via stolen cards, almost always no, which only encourages the cycle to continue.

Do they even try to put a stop to one IP trying to buy 100+ codes on their site, no.

Do they accept any offer to work with G2A for a higher share of the profit than anyone else in the industry offers, hah that would be ridiculous because then they can't cry publicly anymore about someone else not fixing their problem and their mess.

There's bad business sense then there's just being a bunch of crybabies who are bullying someone who amounts to a messenger.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 22, 2017, 11:23 NetHead

Simon Says wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 00:00:
"Hackers working for Russian intelligence agencies stole thousands of emails from the Democratic National Committee..."

The "Clinton News Network" at it again... There has been no hard evidence presented that it was the work of hackers, much less the work of Russian hackers and even less the work of Russian hackers from Russian intelligence agencies.

All the hard evidence points to a LEAK within the DNC, NOT a hack from outside.....

Didn't someone actually leak those emails and claim as much? I haven't followed this, nonsense, though I remember someone who does mentioned that it was leaked by someone who was in the DNC and the leaker even claimed as much. I don't know the source or how valid etc.

The thing that still gets me about this is how all the news is about the release/distribution of the information, as if that cost the election. Rather than the contents of the information itself.

Anyone who changed their vote due to it did so because of the information, not because of its release or the means by which it was released.

It's like a philanderer who blames the person who informed their spouse for their failed relationship rather than their own actions.

The news and the DNC seem to blatantly ignore that, the important part, the problem, and instead focus on a good old bogeyman.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins
17. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 22, 2017, 11:08 NetHead

Bub wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 07:31:
I still bring out DOW I every once and a while. It was a nice RTS where most of the single player campaign let you proceed at your own pace, turtle down or blitz.

I could not finish DOW II. The levels were smaller, more cramped, and more like MOBA lanes with a Boss at the end you had to dance around for five minutes to kill.

DOW III sounds like it is moving further away from the old school RTS and towards frantic twitchfest fast action. I'll pass.

I've lost count how many times I've played the first Dawn of War, not a ridiculous amount, maybe upto 10 times and it's always been fun.

Great game and I like those dialogue logs between missions, really adds to the atmosphere. Even helps set up the need for urgency without trying to force it upon the player ingame.

My only complaint about DoW1 would be the stupid "homie" Orcs, should have been something brutal and vicious instead of a cartoon Shrek boyzzzz.

Since then though the number of complaints and negative have just mounted up with each new game and it's the kind of negatives that really detract from the gameplay and enjoyment.

I haven't seen anything in DoW3 that makes me want to play it, other than the Warhammer theme, which they seem to splash all over crap games and spread so thin it's getting to the point that games released in that settings are making my eyes roll rather than giving excitement.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2017, 17:28 NetHead

No, really?

Instead of "saying" something, do something. Like fine both the person and the company and force the person and company to put up an apology via the same means they displayed the content, ie via those Instaram accounts in this instance, in an effort to reach and inform the same people they misled.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2017, 13:06 NetHead

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 10:40:
Does google know how they make their monie?

That's why they want you using their ad-blocker, one they control and harvest information from, rather than someone else's.

An advertising company (which is what Google is) making an ad-blocker. Where to begin with that one.

I'm sure none of their ads or "suggested content" will slip through for any reason. /sarcasm

Unfortunately without sarcasm, I'm sure they won't be brought up on anti-competitive charges "if" (when) their ads do get through, when they damn well should be.

Nevermind any privacy issue, we can trust Google, lol.

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 10:41:
Hope Google does this, some really annoying pop up lately made me finally have to install an ad blocker. I would much rather it be in the browser

I would much rather have an open source version from a non-profit source, which is what you can already get.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 20, 2017, 12:08 NetHead

It's hip to bash G2A let's all pile on...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 23:43 NetHead

Cyant wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 16:17:
You got it backward, the NEW cpu (Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen...) are "not supported" in windows 7 to 8.1 ... Not the old ones... This patch enable user with newer CPU's to receives windows updates with the old OS.

Oh yes sorry, my silliness there (I actually knew that but was clearly spamming out text without thinking through that example). Though the point is I still wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft does something to cause problems using the newer CPUs on older Windows systems.

News Comments > StarCraft: Brood War Free
7. Re: StarCraft: Brood War Free Apr 19, 2017, 18:16 NetHead

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 12:01:
NetHead wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 11:09:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 04:30:
Suppa7 wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 21:41:
Thank god they fixed the issues with the graphics rainbow corruption effect, took them long enough. Jesus this patch was due like when windows 7 was released in 2009 almost a decade ago.
This patch was no longer needed when Windows 8 came along. The color corruption bug exists only in W7 because of changes in the DDRAW library. With W8 MS removed certain dependencies and the problem was removed with them.

You can probably fix such things with a registry entry in Windows 7 (DirectDraw\Compatibility). A search should easily find it if that's the case and I'd be surprised if it isn't.

PCGamingWIKI, has fixes for just about every game http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/StarCraft

Yup, handy site, especially for older games.

Though strangely they don't seem to list the registry entries which should solve the problem, and avoid the overkill solutions they instead list.

Edit, like such..

For 64bit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Starcraft116]
"Name"="Starcraft.exe"
"ID"=hex:ca,89,65,49
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00

For 32bit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Starcraft116]
"Name"="Starcraft.exe"
"ID"=hex:ca,89,65,49
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 12:59 NetHead

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 10:53:
Microsoft should hire "User".

I'm pretty sure you're being snide, I hope so lol.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the future updates to something makes a MicrosoftApp.exe (maybe they'll be blatant and make it a system .dll) go out of it's way to specifically and arbitrarily use an instruction unsupported by older CPUs causing a crash on older systems.

Then they'll basically go "See this is why we aren't supporting those old CPUs, it was for your own good.", while pretending far more advanced and intensive software that runs just fine on those "older" CPUs seemingly due to a combination of voodoo, magic and bottled dark matter, doesn't exist.

Seems "WinTel" is alive an well.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 19, 2017, 12:45 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 10:28:
Up next for consideration, marathon TV watching and internet surfing!

Rolleyes

Or simply walking with a stick while hitting a little ball between chats. The things that pass for sports these days.

News Comments > StarCraft: Brood War Free
5. Re: StarCraft: Brood War Free Apr 19, 2017, 11:09 NetHead

Kajetan wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 04:30:
Suppa7 wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 21:41:
Thank god they fixed the issues with the graphics rainbow corruption effect, took them long enough. Jesus this patch was due like when windows 7 was released in 2009 almost a decade ago.
This patch was no longer needed when Windows 8 came along. The color corruption bug exists only in W7 because of changes in the DDRAW library. With W8 MS removed certain dependencies and the problem was removed with them.

You can probably fix such things with a registry entry in Windows 7 (DirectDraw\Compatibility). A search should easily find it if that's the case and I'd be surprised if it isn't.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
6. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 19, 2017, 10:16 NetHead

Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 08:40:
Vio wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 01:15:
580/570 = re-branded Polaris cards.

Not really rebranded, as the consumption is lower that the RX4XX with small speed bumps.
So, if you were planning on buying a RX4XX, the RX5XX is a better choice....captain obvious to the rescue!

It's not unheard of for rebrands to be slightly different, beyond clock speed jumps. Sometimes it's simply on a newer process (which would account for the mentioned lower power usage, could also result in lower temperatures, allow higher clock speeds, the triangle of benefits with a better process). So even with the things you've mentioned this could be a 100% rebrand with nothing new chip wise, just a new process, though I haven't bothered checking.

I do seem to remember glimpsing something about new power states for RAM, which is likely purely a software (firmware) improvement. Didn't bother finding out more because I don't care for AMD doing this, like this.

This should have simply been a 480X or a 480S or, you get the picture.

Marketing isn't doing them any favours here, people hear about a "new" AMD GPU and see insignificant improvements, making them less interested in future new AMD GPU releases. If this was simply the 480 "Tubro", Average Joe would know what to expect and wouldn't be desensitised to, or less inclined to care about, their future releases.

Sure it's not as bad an Nvidia slapping a "4" on what's literally a "2" GPU, though at least Nvidia haven't done that crap for a long time.

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Surge
12. Re: Gone Gold - The Surge Apr 18, 2017, 14:04 NetHead

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 13:50:
On rails, and I mean SERIOUSLY on rails (again from what I have seen).

Going by some posts here, everyone doesn't seem to share the same definition for an "on rails" game. Some seem to be confusing it with linear.

I've always been under the impression that on rails games means little to often no movement control, sometimes even no option as to where to look or even what direction to face.

Examples such as House Of The Dead, Virtual Cop, etc...

Your point of view is similar to being on the front of a train, with little to no option as to where to go, much like a train, on rails.

11. Re: Gone Gold - The Surge Apr 18, 2017, 13:53 NetHead

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 13:39:

Well I will say I haven't played a COD since MW2 so maybe shit has changed horribly but they did a great job having action scenes and actual stories.

Other games with good stories on rails:
Halo, Fear, Bioshock...

Bioshock is more of an FPSRPG than an FPS. But whatever, it's still on rails.

Best thing about MW2 was that one mission, the one that doesn't need to be named because everyone knows the one even if they don't remember it's name.

Other than that, its "story" may as well have been, nonexistent. I'm cutting it some serious slack here.

Bioshock is a FPS "." Adding on elements, RPG or whatever else, doesn't change that.

9. Re: Gone Gold - The Surge Apr 18, 2017, 13:44 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 13:03:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 12:19:
Games that do it great on rails, Call of Duty single players. They also have some of the best FPS stories you'll ever play.

Shocked Stunned Shocked Stunned Shocked

r u sucking ferious bro???

Hahaha_no Hahaha_no Hahaha_no

Shocked what,,,,,,the,,,,,,what

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2017, 09:55 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 14:32:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 14:17:
What's the point of another Labyrinth without Bowie?
They've already contracted with his estate and will be reconstructing him entirely in CG. It's gonna be great. It's gonna be fantastic.

I hate it when they try sneak in a CGI person into a movie, it seems even worse when they do it to an existing person who you know how they should look.

It doesn't matter how good it is, it looks like crap and will only look worse as time goes on looking back at it.

like that last Star Wars, Rouge One, when Carrie Fisher turned around and revealed her face it was like "ewwww WTF". It's not even at uncanny valley levels yet, it's still at plainly looks like CGI levels.

Had they simply shown her from the rear-side with only part of her face visible beyond her hoodie at some distance, they may have gotten away with it for long enough to get out a sentence or two. Instead we end up with a damned ME:Andromeda smile moment.

For a character that's far far more animated and on screen a lot more, spare me. Just get a new actor, that's what they're there for.

Also I think it's questionable to be plugging a dead person for a commercial movie in such a way. No doubt they'll use words like "homage", which in the case of Bowie in a new Labyrinth is a load of crap, it's greed, while they all pat themselves and eachother on the back pretending it's got nothing to do about money.

News Comments > More on the Star Citizen Roadmap
12. Re: I stopped caring Apr 16, 2017, 16:42 NetHead

EndoSkull wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 15:36:
I stopped caring about Star Nuke'm Forever ... I'm taking it as a loss.... dumb me bought into it at the start...

There was nothing wrong with buying into it at the start, many wanted a new (offline) single player space sim with an option of some multiplayer/co-op.

Unfortunately Roberts did what Roberts does, another runaway project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

$2,134,374
pledged of $500,000 goal

Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win

Estimated delivery Nov 2014

897 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo