Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
19. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 28, 2016, 15:48 NetHead

I remember trying Wasteland 2 for a while and it was hammering the graphics card like crazy. No matter the settings or situation it would max out the core/heat/fan/noise.

Quite a few Unity based games around that time were doing that and never got around to trying the DC version because it would be far to annoying to play a whole game like that if it still does that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 28, 2016, 11:35 NetHead

The best online backup service for securely encrypting your data.

None.

If you're letting someone else/some online service, encrypt your data you clearly aren't taking it remotely seriously.

Once you've encrypted it yourself, where it's stored online is at most a minor concern by comparison.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 28, 2016, 11:15 NetHead

Microsoft-Nissan partnership treats cars like PCs.

That sounds like a complete and utter nightmare.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. Not until you updatedatedatedate BSOD

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer
3. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 15:30 NetHead

maddog wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:18:
So canned missions?!?!

No true offline\coop mode against AI? Ugh.

@Jdreyer - Thanks. Checking that out now.

Canned missions, as in mostly scripted/directed, in a singleplayer game is fine by me. Much rather that than the Ubiformula or something of the like.

Also such things don't lend themselves well to co-op. Levels are either designed for co-op or singleplayer, trying to do both in such a case is a bad compromise.

I would enjoy something like those older WW games MoHAA/CoD, though I'm not sure it will be comparably similar.

Also that trailer seems like it has way to much drama for my liking. I'm not going to care in the least about some character because they force it so I can get "feelings" when they kill it, especially not if it's all broken down into segments where they'll be telling you how much you suddenly care about a different character.

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil 2 Teased?
9. Re: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Teased? Sep 27, 2016, 15:18 NetHead

Acleacius wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 14:31:
NetHead wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 12:34:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 11:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 10:50:
Ahh, an Ubisoft game. 5% game 95% needless grind filler.
Don't forget forced corporate login...

Just following Valve's lead there.

How's that working when buying the game on Steam...does valve ever force 'valve login' when playing a valve game on another service?

Remind me, with how many games does Valve even give you the option of buying it on one of those other services?

Did you just score an own goal.

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil 2 Teased?
5. Re: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Teased? Sep 27, 2016, 12:34 NetHead

Whatever happened to the last Beyond Good and Evil sequel. I seem to remember they had images and movies then, poof gone for quite a while, now this.

Really enjoyed the original. Hope this doesn't get the typical Ubisoft game formula applied to it, grindfest as mentioned.

Acleacius wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 11:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 10:50:
Ahh, an Ubisoft game. 5% game 95% needless grind filler.
Don't forget forced corporate login...

Just following Valve's lead there.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
30. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 27, 2016, 11:23 NetHead

Sepharo wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 04:33:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 03:26:
What's really interesting is the only game I played in that entire list is Black & White and it was an epic piece of shit.

Black and White is still one of my favorite games. I can't think of anything else that approaches the level of reward/punish training you could do on your AI pet.

Watching them shit in a field and then cast a rainstorm over it, for the first time all on their own, made the whole thing worth it.

I also enjoyed Black & White. It had its flaws like everything but it was very entertaining, could even have some "evil" fun similar to Dungeon Keeper in a way.

It was also impressive, it was so long ago I don't remember the details but I do remember being impressed by quite a bit of it, like your AI pet learning things as Sepharo mentioned. Didn't the pet also start reacting in ways similar to you for a number of things, I seem to remember trying to get it to be quite nasty sometimes.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 25, 2016, 10:11 NetHead

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 14:58:
Cheap, well made is good, but that also looks like it has no thumb or pinky finger buttons, ie. not really a gaming mouse.

I need a minimum of 4 buttons + wheel available, and my old brain likes to have at least a few buttons on the left and right sides if at all possible. Spider hand, attack!

For any action/fast game I can't stand not having those two thumb buttons. Also when browsing for files in windows the "back" button is something I neeeeds.

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 16:56:
Not a bad looking mouse, far less gaudy than most. 2400 dpi is impressive, although a lot of these mice just use a multiplier to get "higher dpi", resulting in a cursor that cannot be moved pixel-by-pixel. Hopefully Biostar didn't do that, but...most mice at this price do that.

I tried to get away from Razer, but after trying several other brands, ended up back with them again, on a Mamba. SteelSeries, EVGA, a few ridiculous no-names. Nope. Couldn't get the basics of "actually works, reliably". Not a fan of having software logging in just to use my mouse, but honestly...fuck it, whatever. Everything phones home anymore.

That dpi multiplier thing sounds like it would make the mouse awful for anything but casual usage.

As for Razer I'm not impressed by them. I've owned a number of things from them and the one thing that wasn't overpriced cheap plastic was a mouse pad, which is likely over 6 years old now and still going well. Other than that one thing everything I've tried of theirs has been crap and felt cheap and flimsy while not lasting as well as expected.

Also since them requiring that logging in/phone home crap I haven't bought a single thing of theirs. Nothing of mine "phones home" certainly no hardware, the thought of which buying boggles my mind. Well the only thing I use that does is Steam and I don't remember the last time I opened the application.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 25, 2016, 09:58 NetHead

Damnit, I clicked quote instead of edit lol

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2016, 10:13.

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Sep 23, 2016, 22:39 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 04:31:
NetHead wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 21:58:
Curious why videos are often linked to the videosift.com website since they're always just Youtube videos?

Why do you come to Blues News instead of going to Steam, Youtube, Ars Technica, etc? Videosift is a video amalgamator. Blues is a gaming news amalgamator. If you dislike that, why are you here?

Also, you're free to send any youtube vids you like to Blue.

Just asked a question while providing a possible alternative. If it's simply copy/pasting a submitted link that seems fine as it could be to much work trying to alter everything submitted.

Why or where I go is none of your business. Don't like it? Not my problem.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 23, 2016, 08:01 NetHead

Verizon Continues to Insist You Don't Need Unlimited Data.

Whatever happened to finding "products for your customers" etc. For something like an ISP this would be especially easy.

It's ridiculous how some companies end up in such an entrenched position, each sticking to their own "territory" and instead of being dragged over the coals they end up getting anti-competitive laws passed.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 03:55:
Simon Says wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 01:51:
In other news:

Nestlé president continues to insist that access to water isn't a right.

Unless it's being sold by us. At twice the price per liter than gasoline.

Nestle is a monster and that crap they pull with water goes much deeper than simply overcharging.

They've gone into poverty stricken parts of Africa, gotten the rights to wells which communities rely on to live. They then charge even those communities who formed around that water source far more than they could ever hope to have resulting in people having to dedicate all their time just being a water mule for the family, basically hauling water like a full time job, if they're lucky to have another water source within a days travel.

Still that is par for the likes of Nestle.

Lets not forget this is the company that got people to pretend to be nurses/doctors and get mothers in Africa to try free samples of baby formula. For the good of their own children because if the mother can't afford eat healthily her breast milk won't be ideal for the baby while the formula will be.

Of course they neglected to mention the mother will likely stop lactating by the time the free sample is finished, leaving the mothers with hungry babies. So they end up forced to buy more formula, though it cost so much to them they end up having to water it down so much their babies end up with malnutrition.

Guess Nestle wants them to be buying overpriced water from them the next time they pull such horrific stunts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

News Comments > Tyranny Video Diary
3. Re: Tyranny Video Diary Sep 22, 2016, 13:01 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 11:30:
Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 10:21:
I'm looking forward to this. It seems a very interesting premise.

Premise is a good one but I have serious doubts they can pull it off. It's hard to write evil that isn't cliched. Most of the time the villains in games are just eye rollingly bad. Chaotic evil characters never work for me because they're nothing more than self-serving psychopaths. Sure the Joker is entertaining, but not someone I want to play as a character. I much prefer the lawful evil tyrant like Vetinari or Thrawn who are tyrants to be sure, but are because they have a vision and a purpose in mind.

I often feel the same when things are marked "good" or "bad"/"evil".

Reading that made me wonder how it might be playing a RPG where the protagonist is "evil" but never marked or marketed as such, and doesn't do anything blatant or that can't be justified from that point of view. You go about your quest/story as usual, doing away with those that oppose you, supporting those on your side etc.

Then when you get to the end it could subtly reveal all the pain and suffering this protagonist has caused in their quest. Perhaps even better, a sequel in which one has to attempt to correct or avenge all the wrongs by the last games protagonist, while possibly unavoidable causing more.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2016, 07:10 NetHead

I think it would have been better to ignore free keys from the review scoring, or at least keys costing a minimum to avoid dodgy devs "selling" 20c keys for review bots. Regardless of what site or how they were obtained.

As long as the keys cost enough it wouldn't be feasible for mass fake reviews. It wouldn't matter where the key was sold.

Though that might take some actual work, depending on how their system is currently set up.

So I don't think Valve is going about it in the best way, they certainly aren't being purely altruistic due to the result. They are taking what is probably the simple easy way which also happens to benefit themselves, as anyone wanting their review score to matter will have to buy through Steam/Valve.

I think the goal of preventing as many fake reviews as possible is great, though here it seems like they've done something akin to attaching an oil pipeline deal to a "for the children" bill.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2016, 13:30 NetHead

Darks wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 12:03:
This guy has hi priorities set straight. He knows that Piracy is at times a good thing. especially when he talked about how they monitored sites to see what shows were being downloaded. Sometimes ass-hat programmers cancel shows that are really better then they think. They use an outdated system with the nelsons and that is not an entirely accurate system to Gage whats shows really are most popular.

At one point, I think it was Netflix, who monitored piracy/torrents to see what content to try and get and worked great for them.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2016, 07:38 NetHead

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 02:34:
Genesys wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 20:24:
And about SoftRAM? They must have had the right idea, since Windows 10 has memory compression built in! http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/17993-windows-10-memory-compression.html

Yeah, but in real world applications this makes no performance difference as they are not paging to disc.. least not if they can help it.

You can not (efficiently) compress RAM (you know, it is in the name, RANDOM access).... it's bullshit snakeoil, what MS is doing is compressing an paged disc write to memory and instead of writing it as is into the pagefile, they compress it before the write into the pagefile, thus you can page more into a fixed size pagefile.

Only problem is that with 8 or 16gb RAM, you are quite literally not ever paging anything to disc. ^^

I had a good laugh when reading the whole story

It's certainly not snakeoil (unless pushed as something it's not in which case anything can be snakeoil). It is simply a method with tradeoffs, like any method can work either well or poorly depending on how and when it's used.

The "random" aspect to RAM has no bearing whatsoever (FYI to almost all applications HDDs could be considered just as "random" as they have no idea were on the HDD they are storing/retrieving data, and there's no need to know for such applications).

Also compressing things in RAM (or rather as they go in, and after coming out) can be useful and does have an effect on performance, typically for the worse as it increases latency (RAM's existence being for low/er latency) due to having to compress/decompress for any write/read operation (think of it as a balance between performance/storage).

So it's only useful or good in certain situations with certain data with certain methods. Basically if the processing performance can offset or avoid any undesirable latency issues it can help, sometimes a lot, sometimes even on both the performance and storage side simultaneously (given enough processing performance).

Avoiding all the situations where it could be beneficial (even on desktops with 16+ GB of RAM), simply think of how long it takes to compress for example a 15MB BMP file, it could take less than a second but end up saving 95%+ of the space taking usage from 15MB down to 0.5MB (and again with enough processing power it could increase the performance of the RAM). If the processing is fast enough, the RAM bus only has to move 0.5MB instead of 15MB, consider the theoretical bandwidth increase there.

I'm infact willing to bet cash that your system, or one you've recently used, uses memory/data compression (this supposed snakeoil ). Have a graphics card? Well welcome to memory compression done in a way and in a situation where the benefits outweigh the costs and in some situation can even make a world of difference.

How about an SSD, well certain controllers automatically compress data, which can (again in certain situations) result in both more storage space and higher read/write speeds.

Such things are only snakeoil if touted as something they're not or if misused.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 20, 2016, 06:42 NetHead

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 21:41:
So the solution to dust on the fans, is to suck the dust into the chassis? YAY MARKETING

I don't see it working well enough to make any noticeable difference.

If anyone's concerned about dust they'll have dust filters (or get some such as from http://www.demcifilter.com ), which would render any such shenanigans by the fans moot, at best.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 20, 2016, 06:11 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 22:10:
Underrail is pretty damn good but the lack of a proper mapping system is just too painful to overlook. I got lost out in the wilderness with no idea how to get where I was going. I ended up quitting and never going back. There are ton of little annoyances which can be overlooked, but the lack of map system is a game killer right there.

Making an actual real time usable map can get hard, especially when things have multiple levels. Though I was a little surprised that it didn't have at least some basic maps as in some ingame paper sheets to at least give you basic idea of where things are relative to eachother (even if it's just like a metro subway-map).

I didn't have much trouble getting around in the wilderness, though Core City wasn't as easy due to all the levels and connections, so I normally ended up going the way I knew rather than quicker/closer transitions.

There are some places online with user made maps, basically large images with lines indication transitions between areas (some look like screenshots of areas and some look more like flow charts). It would help a lot if getting lost in the wilderness. I think I saw them via the official wiki-like website, which is very handy either way.

Also think it's a great game, especially for anyone who likes things like the old Fallout and wouldn't let the lack of a map scare you away from trying it. Even if you just like turn based RPG of that type it's well worth it.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 System Specifications
10. Re: Battlefield 1 System Specifications Sep 19, 2016, 23:28 NetHead

McJammiepants wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 23:13:

How's THIS for immersion

Oh my god, at exactly 27 seconds in I lost my shit lol.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Xiaomi phones are pre-backdoored; your apps can be silently overwritten Sep 16, 2016, 21:45 NetHead

NamecaF wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 18:56:
Anyone buying a Chinese device has got to be stupid or ignorant. Mind you, that goes the same for anyone that buys any smart device - just depends who want to have access to all your data and your device itself; Google, Facebook, Apple or the Chinese government.

Hey pot, meet kettle.

News Comments > BioShock Remastered Fixes
7. Re: BioShock Remastered Fixes Sep 16, 2016, 21:34 NetHead

DangerDog wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 20:34:

Does the DSOGaming tweak fix it? I wonder if you could rip the audio files from the original and insert them into the remastered version.

Chances are it's the same audio files, no way in hell are they going to re-record tons of audio for a crappy free "remaster".

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo