Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 662 (Apprentice)
User ID 55500
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Trailer
11. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Trailer Oct 22, 2016, 11:58 NetHead
Shok wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 00:21:
Yeah I'm sure it will since the 4gb ram limit will be gone since this is 64-bit.

If I remember right you can work around the 4GB limit of the old version using SKSE. (ed) I don't actually remember it allowing the game to access more than the 32 bit limit, but it did vastly improve its memory management solving loads of problems/crashes/freezes/infinite loading.. /ed

Watched a video where someone monitored memory usage while spawning things etc, taking note of when it crashed related to memory usage and so on.

With the SKSE memory workaround it flew past the point were it consistently crashed, memory wise, while the performance remained stable.

So while the 64 bit version is good news (and is something that inexcusably should have been available from the start, would have been simple and quick to do), it's also no longer as important thanks to the modding community.

My install of Skyrim is heavily modded and stand-alone (I can reinstall Windows without having to reinstall Skyrim or the mods or even redo settings). Considering how much work it is to mod the game to what one wants it would take a hell of a lot more than what the "Special Edition" has shown to go through all that trouble again.

Maybe if they've kept 100% compatibility with standard mods, sometime in the distant future when I have a bunch of days to burn away on modding the game nevermind play, then I'll give it a go.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2016, 12:18.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2016, 22:25 NetHead
Pigeon wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 21:12:
My favorite thing about Morrowind is you could make you character absolutely godly by exploiting potions to make ridiculous over powered potions which could then be used to make some insane enchantments. I remember making a flame enchanted daedric dai katana (or some sort of big sword) that would wipe out a village in one swing, as I bound across the entire continent in a single leap. Actually it may have been my sword that destroyed Vvanderfell, not the volcano

Okay it just killed nearly everything in one hit, but I stand by my comment about jumping across the continent in one leap.

That's just one of the nice things about that game, if one desires to bounce up against the games limits, sometimes literally lol.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Trailer
3. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Trailer Oct 21, 2016, 22:07 NetHead
nin wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 21:21:
This guy posts about 13 minutes of scenery/footage, but be sure and mute him, as he openly talks about how he got a free copy of the game, and a free elgato to encode it with (so anything he says is a little suspect).

But it does look damn pretty, and I can't wait to play it again.

That just sounds like a mixture of disclosure and advertising. He got product X for free, used it to make the recording, check the video so see the quality for oneself...

I don't see any issue with him getting a free copy of the game and disclosing that.

I'd be more inclined to ignore what he says about it based on him focusing almost exclusively on Bethesda games.

Infact if I went into tinfoil hat mode, I'd say it's almost suspicious how he seems to focus almost exclusively on Bethesda games. Sure if it was all about Skyrim and maybe Fallout, but there are a number of genres/game types there, but virtually all from Bethesda. Some videos even being about Bethesda rather than one of their games.

Without the tinfoil hat, maybe he's just a fanboy, that also sounds like he's rehearsed a marketing pitch.

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Garage Trailer
5. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Garage Trailer Oct 21, 2016, 11:07 NetHead
Wash Washburne wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 18:06:
Nice one! Hehe, think might have played the first version that came out years ago along with the Dope Wars er whatever the name was at the time, you were using subway to move around to sell drugs and escape cops: You found a body of a junkie on the subway...

Yay, you found 50 ludes.

That's ringing a small very rusty bell. Though I remember a bunch of guys growing their little plants in HighGrow ages ago.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 19, 2016, 20:59 NetHead

So dedicated servers are all the monetised rage.

EA, sincerely screw you.

This is a perversion of players being able to set up their own dedicated servers. Here EA charges ridiculous amounts for it and retains the ability to shut them all down when they feel like it (they've sooo never abused something like that before).

Really, screw this company.
News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2016, 22:55 NetHead
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 21:11:
It's not like Samsung is not trying to do the right thing here.
blue posted this tonight

At first I also want to say that sounds like a bit much, considering how Samsung does seem to be trying.

Then again they did a recall and the second batch was also exploding, I also find it hard to believe that they didn't know anything was wrong or risky with the first nevermind the second. In that regard I'm far less sympathetic to them being sued.

I'm not sure trying to get them back safely makes up for sending out such flat out dangerous products to begin with.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2016, 13:54 NetHead
Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 11:49:
Huh. I was just wondering a few weeks back if that voice actor thing was still ongoing.

Everything I remember about it was them sounding like spoiled, over entitled cry babies, who compare a few hours of office/studio work to a year in a coalmine.

Let them strike, and be quickly and easily replaced by people with reasonable expectations.

In any case I virtually always dislike when a recognisable voice appears in a game. Then it feels like I should be seeing actor X's face, and it's even worse when the character actually has actor X's face.

Unless it's a game based on a movie, like maybe a Terminator game with Arnie's face on a Terminator, then I don't want to see his face or accompanying voice.

Let the lesser known or unknown happily step up for the experience and reasonable pay. Is there ever a shortage of "starving artists"/performers.

The last thing I want is games going the way, or even more the way, of Hollywood nonsense paying ridiculous fortunes to have some actor in it I don't want in the game to begin with and I sure don't want to see the pricetag.

Just thought how awful it would be if games had actor names and faces covering the boxes/posters in typical poses "Staring blabla, and blabla".

Good riddance.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2016, 08:54 NetHead
Quboid wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:17:
..I'd readily take a bruised arm rather than run over children.

That's a big problem with the whole driver versus pedestrians view. Maybe the car swerves to avoid one person and hits 3 more. Maybe it hits the one in the road when swerving off would have been perfectly safe. Even excluding situations where it splatters someone to save a watermelon.

Perhaps they should stop thinking of it as driver versus pedestrians (also how could taking a stance with either "side" not result in a PR nightmare at some point). Also taking either side when something goes wrong opens the argument that someone's life was in their hands and they decided to end it (arguably even premeditated in a sense) regardless of potential alternatives that a victims family won't care about.

I think it might be better for everyone, especially the manufacturers, if they just focused on all round safety in the sense of collision detection and avoidance. No weighing lives, just all round caution. Sure the "autocars" will take longer to get places being overly cautious, especially if drivers push them around cutting them off etc, but that's an inevitability anyway until the vast majority are automated in any situation.

The macabre aside, I wonder how things will play out when such a vehicle kills someone when it should have been avoided. That's when people rightfully go to prison, not finned...
News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Garage Trailer
3. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Garage Trailer Oct 15, 2016, 07:32 NetHead
Wash Washburne wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 14:34:
This seems like snore fest. Some one makes a Ganja Farm Simulator, I'm game.
News Comments > Tyranny Next Month
6. Re: Tyranny Next Month Oct 14, 2016, 08:37 NetHead
jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 04:17:
Bill Borre wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 20:52:
Don't know why I keep seeing that title as "Tranny". I must be paying too much attention to the regular news media.

I keep reading it the same way.

When it was first announced here or something, I think Cutter said something about reading it as Tranny, since then I've also seen it. Damn you Cutter lol.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 12, 2016, 14:08 NetHead

Verizon, AT&T Made $600 Million in Overage Fees Alone in 2016.

Let's fine them a 50 million, that will teach them!
News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil for Free
5. Re: Beyond Good & Evil for Free Oct 12, 2016, 13:56 NetHead
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 13:52:
El Pit wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 13:45:
Posts of people claiming it is not for free (because Ubiplay) and see themselves entitled to demand this being published drm-free for free at GOG coming up in 3... 2... 1... GOGOGO!
Don't lose faith, I'm sure they're coming!

There are better places to get it for free. Won't give you crap or make you jump through hoops. It will even come fully patched with community fixes. Since it's now free it's kind of hard to complain about using such better, easier and more convenient alternatives.

You're welcome.
News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
40. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 12, 2016, 13:49 NetHead
Numinar wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 02:37:
I feel like should probably have gotten win 10/144hz compatibility patches considering it's ubiquity...

Today I learnt, supposedly, Windows 10 and 144Hz displays are ubiquitous.
News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
39. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 12, 2016, 13:45 NetHead
saluk wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 03:58:
And then there's me, still trying to finish daggerfall so I can get started with morrowind...

One doesn't finish Daggerfall, it just goes on and on forever.

Seriously though, if you want to play Morrowind go play Morrowind you n'wah. Many think it's one of the great RPGs.

If you want to make it look better grab some mods, either follow the STEP modding guide or just install a pack like MGSO.

MGSO is a bit old and has some minor bugs, like missing texture/files, resulting in some strange markers/objects ingame. Easily fixed by taking note of the message the game gives you when entering the area and searching for it online, or just deleting an appropriate file to simply use the old default texture/mesh for that object. There are some MGSO patches which will blanket fix many such problems.

You could grab a newer version of MGE/XE and use it over the older one that comes with MGSO, it's what adds nice effect like god rays, SSAO etc (a newer one will allow you to scale the interface which is hand at high resolutions). Overall don't mess around to much with settings unless you really want to get into messing with them.

There's also a newer versions of the Morrowind Code Patch, add that last for some nice fixes and tweaks. Just read each option to see what you want to apply.

If you aren't interested in graphics mods like MGE (external things that hook into the game), consider OpenMW which still supports all standard mods should you desire, apparently it's coming along well.

Don't sit around waiting for things like Skywind or whatever the latest thing is. You'll be wasting your time and doing yourself a disservice if you haven't played Morrowind itself. Skywind and the like will not be Morrowind nor a replacement or even a poor substitute for Morrowind.

Lastly, don't complain when your character with little to no skill with a weapon has trouble hitting something with said weapon type. This concept seems to go over many people's heads.

Oh I guess I'd like to add (lastly lastly) don't try experience the whole game in one playthrough, at least not your first anyway. You will go from being an average pathetic little peon who gets eaten by rats to something that feels insanely powerful well before you can see only a portion of the content. Which gives a great sense of accomplishment but also means you'd "roflstomp" things meant for lower character. Choose a character/role, and play it. Then have a look at how the other side lives or just treat it like a huge sandbox etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2016, 13:51.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 12, 2016, 12:26 NetHead
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 18:05:
I really have no idea why at all this is contracted to private firms. This should be a pure governmental function.

It's possible from a government point of view it might add something of a buffer. Hey "we" didn't do it, they did, "we" never told them to go that far or abuse it...

Maybe all secret crap should be release at each election cycle, wouldn't that be great for someone seeking re-election. After all, if you're not doing anything wrong you've got nothing to hide lol.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2016, 12:13 NetHead
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 11:14:
Cumulative Patches, or how Microsoft broke 48% of the worlds Windows computers.

What a relief it is to see people posting things like that rather than "Steam survey" nonsense, in such cases.

I've lost count the number of times some monkey, normally on a game related site, goes on about Windows 10 having 50% market share pointing to Steam, while the subject isn't strictly limited to PC games.

As if Steam (a game service survey) somehow remotely represents the total share of an OS which has artificial requirements aimed at games.

ps since that chart includes Linux, Mac and other, it's actually more than 48% of Windows systems.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2016, 11:54 NetHead
shiho wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 16:36:
Basically, one needs to kill auto-updating. And then there should be someone on the Internet who makes a batch file for uninstalling shitty/spyware updates.

So you install a "cumulative" patch, and then run this batch file to make sure you are "clean".

That's how many have done it for a long time. I remember there used to be a site which would help one get only the updates you want, until Microsoft killed it. These days there's another WSUS offline option.

Rolling up all the patches can mean problems, splitting them up into security and others could mean more problems. Though it is good to at least split them up into security / other.

Then again Microsoft likes sneaking in other "things" under the guise of security updates, they also like adding patches to flawed security updates in other non-security updates (fun right, only gets better when they do it with this).

Can you imagine they continue that behaviour with this, adding a patch for a security update but that patch is only available in the non-security update, except now to get that one security patch you have to install the entire collection of non-security updates because you can't get them individually.

Nevermind the countless bad and undesirable individual updates. No more avoiding that one/few that causes "this" or "that" system to go into infinite boot loops or a plethora of other problems. With these rollups there apparently also won't be an option to remove just one of the updates included, would have to remove the whole pack..

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 12, 2016, 11:27 NetHead
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 17:50:
ForgedReality wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 13:45:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 13:19:
That wired article, a-fucking-men

Presence of a non-removable battery in later phones is a major reason I still haven't switched from my Note 4.

Yup, still holding on to my S4 for the same reason. Not liking this non-removable battery trend at all, even (especially?) in notebooks.

Notebooks doing this nonsense too? I've always moaned it's ridiculous in phones but to do it in even larger and more power hungry devices just boggles the mind.

It's also anti-consumer while adding planned obsolescence, with such devices not having moving parts they're lasting to long, need to add a point of failure so,,glue in a hard to replace battery that inevitably degrades over time and usage.

News Comments > Through the Woods This Month
1. Re: Through the Woods This Month Oct 12, 2016, 10:41 NetHead
Looks like it could be good, which would be nice as there aren't enough scary games around.

Silly, games being the best media for scary things yet used the least and even when it is they often completely ruin it by arming the player like Rambo. Or even manage to screw up a franchise that was a bellwether of horror by releasing nonsense like Along in the Dark "Illumination"

Alone in the Dark "Illumination", dark and "Illumination" lol

Alone - with multiplayer lol

multiplayer in a horror game, everyone is so much more scared when not alone lol

We need more horror games, by people who aren't complete fuc....#$%^#^..#$@%#$...&%^#$%&#...*#%^*.......
News Comments > Gears of War 4 Released
15. Re: Gears of War 4 Released Oct 12, 2016, 10:28 NetHead
Rhett wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 01:43:

The games are typically very polished and optimized, so I guess we'll see. Horde is always fun.

I've been hearing the opposite. Like Forza having performance issues according to many places. I

It also apparently hammers 1 CPU core while under utilising the rest leaving the game constantly CPU bound, now let the irony of it being a DX12 (only) title sink in there. One of the main performance benefits of Vulkan/DX12 is being less CPU limited..great work there /s.

It was also possibly Forza with bizarre memory usage (for a PC title), it apparently seemed more like one would expect for a console.

So optimised is hardly the term I'd use by any stretch of the imagination.

One might say that's only 1 game, and I don't go looking for news about this (yet even so I've been exposed to it), sure there's only one game as an example here, though it's well worth keeping in mind it's a Microsoft game, exclusive to a Microsoft platform, that Microsoft is currently trying to push.

If this is the kind of quality and "optimisation" they deliver at a critical time, with a major game, when far more eyes are on them, can one imagine the kind of "quality" and ports they'll be providing when the service is less scrutinised.

662 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo