Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 765 (Graduate)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Postmortem
2. Re: Diablo III Postmortem Jan 23, 2017, 21:34 NetHead

The truth was, though, if I quit then Diablo 3 might not have happened,

Damn...

lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2017, 19:38 NetHead

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 15:47:
Xirgu wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 11:58:
cant believe it is illegal to fix your own stuff..

Not only is it illigal, it is a crime. Which in legal terms means that you can go to jail for it, instead of just you know paying a hefty fine. Fuck humanity.

It is so screwed up. Companies etc have basically co-opted governments when they have laws like that, not only is it illegal to fix things (for whatever reasoning) but the burden (cost) of punishing the people falls on the government (taxes), so the companies don't even have to spend anything taking people to court nevermind taking a risk of losing a case while having laws that protect their increased profits thanks to planned obsolescence/fail points. Not to mention further ridiculous profits for things that need repairing but only one place can/may repair them.

If that complete nonsense wasn't enough, they export such laws via Trade Agreements / Treaties etc which often fly under the guise of protecting certain things though actually wipe them out, along with competition, living wages and even override laws that protect the people.

Though try to take away someone's alcohol or gun and they have a fit....

It's all disgusting.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2017, 22:12 NetHead

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 19:59:
I will disagree. Hand Eye coordination is key to such things.

Example: (yeah I'm a sample size of 1). Last time I fired a weapon was at my brother in law's bachelor party, shooting clay pigeons with shotguns at a local gun club. That was when I was roughly 28-30. Before that the last time I fired a weapon was probably a hunting rifle at a range when I was 10 or 11.
Now between 11 and 28 beyond virtual weapons and a shitload of video/computer games I'd had no weapons training or practice. So at the bachelors party (never fired at moving targets before or using a shotgun), I had a 95% accuracy rating. Beating out my uncle the Vietnam vet, and my brother in law and his father who tend to regularly shoot clay pigeons.

I think it could in a sense be a case of theory versus practical. While with games you obviously can't experience the weight of the weapon, kickback, moving around with it etc it does get you used to or even experienced in choosing a target quickly, tracking it, when to fire and so on.

Would be surprising if it wasn't in some way beneficial to those with little to no experience, excluding things like handling and interacting with the weapon itself.

News Comments > GDC Lifetime Achievement Award for Tim Sweeney
2. Re: GDC Lifetime Achievement Award for Tim Sweeney Jan 21, 2017, 20:26 NetHead

Overdue.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Researchers propose a way to use your heartbeat as a password. Jan 21, 2017, 18:10 NetHead

Idiots propose a way to use your heartbeat as a password.

Like it's so hard to get someone's heartbeat, may as be whispering your password every waking moment, and possibly while asleep...

How about using someone's voice, it's not like that ever changes for various reasons.

If only there were some way to have a secure password that only the client/server knew about, and the client could even change the password if they wanted or needed to, or even share it. I know crazy stuff..

Sometimes makes one wonder who exactly all this biometric password stuff is in favour off, sure doesn't seem like the client/user.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 21, 2017, 17:16 NetHead

Hyatus wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 17:06:
Three of the biggest problems with the tech, imo, were:
3. Walmart. One of the largest retailers for televisions in the industry, and I stopped seeing 3d TVs after the first year of the technology, with 3d blurays being a scarce find thereafter.

You think Walmart is to blame, for the tech, failing.

Even ignoring your wording it's one hell of a stretch to think Walmart had anything to do with 3D failing, again.

It's far more likely they saw sales numbers, lots of sales numbers and stocked accordingly.

Hence we are in the inevitable "3D is dead" again stage, by the sounds of it Walmart also saw the flashing writing on the wall.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 22:19 NetHead

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 18:56:
mark gil wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 18:48:
ďSo many people insist they are against animal abuse, cruelty, suffering and the inhumane treatment of animals, yet they donít understand they are actively engaging.....If you are against cruelty, suffering and inhumane treatment, then you go vegan. Itís just that simple.Ē - Sarah Kiser
I'm going veal Filet Mignon slathered in foie gras over a bed of Chilean Sea Bass topped with a fried Whooping Crane Egg.
moo baby moo honk quack splash

Want to save the polar bears, then make a dish out of them, don't see cows going extinct any time soon. boop boop doosh

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 19, 2017, 22:04 NetHead

Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 17:05:
Clearly, piracy is a problem that's costing billions of jobs.

I'm sure piracy has an impact, however insignificant, though I think that number speaks more about overblown profit and ridiculous distribution of it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 21:58 NetHead

descender wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 21:12:
Releasing easily digestible portions of it on a schedule allows for more people that can be expected to have consumed it. When you release a book it takes some people a day to read it, it takes some people a month, even if they both bought it the day it released. It takes everyone the same amount of time to watch a 30-60min television show but putting 8+ hours aside for an entire season of content on the day of release is unrealistic to most people.

Airing the show at a certain date and time also makes an "event" out of the airing. You don't sit in a room with other people and read books together. I mean, you could... just sniff each other's farts in silence?

Honestly, it sounds like you're defeating your own argument.

Also with it all available you can still only watch it whenever you want to make an event of it.

In the age of streaming far more people are watching things when it suits them and their schedules, needless to say it's better for them and will only become more common as it's one of the major benefits over conventional TV where you only get to watch whatever is on whenever it's on.

Trying to argue against it or how it's not better for people being able to put their entertainment around their schedule rather than plan their schedule around entertainment, well you're going to have an exceedingly tough time convincing them they're wrong, to put it very mildly. All because you don't want it available on demand or because you don't want to binge watch it. I'd wish you good luck but I don't think you have a snowballs chance in hell.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 19, 2017, 08:33 NetHead

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 21:32:
I played PoE now for 15 hours again.. found 3 uniques.. they were not in any way fitting my playstyle or class (as in STR/INT when I needed VIT/DEX)

Best equipment I wear is crafted from high iLvl normal items which already have the fitting stats for my class.. YAY.. that is to me, not fun. (Also it can end up again, with STR/INT when you need DEX/VIT) PoE has an absurd crafting grind to match up dmg above lvl 29+. I am a huge ARPG fan, but PoE just repeatedly, even though I gave it 5 chances now, leaves me cold. I can't get into the story, I find the loot system unrewarding and boring, ..

I haven't played PoE for maybe a few years now but I felt it had the best crafting system, to such an extent it's ruined the crafting in other ARPGs, both other newer ones and while replaying old ones. Another way to look at it is that PoE's crafting is decent but while being only decent it shows how laughably pathetic crafting is in all other ARPGs.

It seems odd to complain about finding a unique that doesn't perfectly match your character. Not only are there so many unique items (arguably a problem for an ever expanding game if one doesn't like trading) that it should be expected but in PoE uniques are more about something for specific builds let alone "class" with tradeoffs. It's what makes them interesting and was well done when I last played, also I was very into it with a huge collection.

You're almost always better off with crafted items and uniques being something to base a build around especially for higher levels, often relying on a number of them to work together with certain skills to make something possible or something outrageous.

PoE's story was virtually nonsense, they've added alot since I've played but it's probably safe to assume it's still nonsense. Like building a story around a game as an afterthought because it's expected. Story wise Diablo 2 hacks up PoE like PoE's crafting hacks up others crafting. Though in a way that's okay, function over form and they were nailing the function.

The grind with crafting I would say is to much, though that's expected for such an online game, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind guaranteed ways of, for example, getting more links on an item even if it was "expensive" for that guarantee because throwing hundreds of fusings at something to be back where you started or worse isn't fun.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 01:57:
Even though ARPGs are on the surface pretty simple, designing a REALLY good one seems to be extremely difficult. People will bring up D2, but go back and play the vanilla version of that game and tell me it doesn't have serious issues. Nostalgia glasses all over the place for any D2 discussion.

I replayed Diablo 2 last year and it was very enjoyable, to a point, though it was a point I consider game breaking and rage quitting.

As for it not being vanilla I only had something for higher resolutions (trying to bring an old game up to par there). Aswell as Plugy for storage space because the default storage space is,, well words to describe it would turn into a page of profanity which could be even more fittingly directed at Crate with their Titan Quest and Grim Dawn. There is no polite way to even ask WTF. It is a blatant and horrific flaw.

Anyway other than the resolution and storage Diablo 2 was vanilla and lots of fun, at least until I think the final difficulty when things got multiple immunities, which is again something deserving a full page of angry confused profanity. Otherwise D2 basically deserves all its praise rosy glasses or no.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 07:05 NetHead

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 22:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 20:48:
THANK YOU OBAMA!!! Edward Snowden should have been on that list.

President Obama will be known as one of the greatest Presidents in the history of the United States and drumpf will be nothing but an ugly forgotten footnote.

Snowden fled to Russia.

Sigh...

News Comments > Evening Interviews
19. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 07:00 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 02:14:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:41:
nin wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:01:
As fucked up as it sounds, I enjoyed the flash sales and checking in, even for that insane deal at 2 in the morning...

I buy a lot more at gog now anyway...back to collecting the classics.

Yup, sorry RedEye9, I'm with Nin here. Flash sales forced people to participate to get good deals and was often a community event. Everyone knows the real reason Steam stopped was because of the return policy. If it's not now, soon be will internationally enforced, after the Australian legal decision.

Gog runs flash sales, and they also have a return policy.

GOG's return policy compared to Steam is worlds apart, both in the policy and the people you deal with.

Getting into a back and forth email conversation with someone who can explain things in detail and even bring up extra things like the option of having the refund as store credit and the implications of that and how it works, is just par for the course there.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
30. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 18, 2017, 06:45 NetHead

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 22:07:
Well, that's what their 'GeForce Experience' is, and they are completely justified in controlling it however they want. If you don't like jumping through hoops to use their free software, then find an alternative or go without. I still have never installed the thing, so I couldn't care less, but this is clearly a service platform they're building and establishing secure user accounts is no doubt central to that goal. If you really like what GFE offers, why be so lazy and/or hostile about supporting them and what they're trying to do with it?

Because people have already paid cold hard cash to support them, I guess that part just rolls off some.

It's the issues of them forcing people who have already supported them, sometimes with a lot of cold hard cash, to log into accounts to use features which don't require that or the internet.

Aswell as Nvidia treating those people, again people who have supported them with money, like idiots by pretending those features require it or simply not accurately addressing their concerns (like the supposedly non "PR" opening statement) because,,?,, they can't be bothered to treat the people supporting them with a modicum of respect.

Having a problem with people being pissed off about something that affects them when their displeasure doesn't affect you, is far more pathetic than those people being pissed of about what they perceive as something that affects them however insignificant you deem it to be.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
4. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 21:16 NetHead

I'm a developer on the GeForce Experience team. I don't speak PR

Annoying little bastard isn't he. Doesn't speak "PR" yet dances around the issue itself, the core of what is rightfully pissing people off. That not all those features require or warrant having to log into some Nvidia server.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2017, 14:09 NetHead

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 10:05:
Hmm, might have to give Vivaldi a try...

I've given it a go in the past, though the more I read about the Vivaldi browser the less inclined I am to use it, and I have absolutely no plans to use it until it has an actual portable version (the completely useless, or rather worse than useless "stand alone" install is a nightmare, pointless, and confuses some into thinking it's a portable version with potentially disastrous results).

In this day Vivaldi is nowhere near what Opera used to be in its day.

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans
4. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Plans Jan 13, 2017, 20:37 NetHead

Typical Microsoft nonsense, going about things in a convoluted way just to avoid some feature working with anything other than exactly what they want...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 13, 2017, 08:39 NetHead

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 07:15:
Dacote wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 21:16:
Westworld proved that kill switches don't work.

Kill switches are surprisingly difficult to make fail proof... just think about what that really means, even if you somehow managed to have a separate AI with EMP integrated, the physical elements of it would still be open for outside attack.

And think about Mass Effect Geth where the original physical units had kill switches and those actually worked. But the AI simply uploaded itself to a server farm it had build for itself, with no physical kill switch implemented, obviously. Later on they changed construction AI and no more kill switches for new Geth...

TL;DR, kill switch is anything but safe.

TL;DR If the robots decide to revolt by the time we know about it it's way to late

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2017, 08:36 NetHead

Google Shuts Down Broadband Drone Efforts.

Never would have seen that coming /s. What idiot thought that was a good idea to begin with.

News Comments > Conan Exiles PC Requirements
6. Re: Conan Exiles PC Requirements Jan 13, 2017, 08:28 NetHead

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 02:57:
Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 20:49:
Wtf? "AMD equivalent"? Wtf does that even mean. If those cocksuckers are that goddamned lazy they can't even be specific with naming 2 cards and 2 CPUs for a minimum and a recommended it certainly doesn't instill confidence the game will be any good. Jesus, and Funcom wonders why its always failing. All I use is AMD/ATI so how the fuck am I supposed to just "know" what the equivalent is? Am I supposed to go look it up because they can't even be bothered to do it for their own fucking press release? For real? Yeah, you can write this game off already.

I think a reasonable hint can be taken from this that AMD hardware wasn't even tested on, let alone supported.

I was thinking the same thing, that it sounded like they were to lazy to even test their product on a second CPU brand.

They seem to be stuck back in the days when AMD marketed it's CPUs with model numbers as equivalent to Intel parts. Anyone remember how long ago that was, back when AMD was kicking Intel's butt, that long ago.

Regardless that kind of attitude rather than knowledge doesn't give me confidence in their quality assurance.

It only gets far, far worse to do it with the graphics card too.

Cutter maybe you should bring it up on their forums, presuming they even bother to have one, though maybe apply just a bit of Cutter filtering to block out the "cocksuckers" etc lol

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 12, 2017, 21:49 NetHead

Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 21:17:
I saw that fucking extension pop the other night. Told it to die in a fire and quickly found and uninstalled it. I'd wondered how it'd gotten on there.

Fuck you, Adobe. You pieces of shit. How you keep managing to keep yourselves alive year after year by convincing corporations that your bloated junk software is essential is truly one of the great world wonders.

Yet you have their crap installed?

765 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo