Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NetHead

Real Name NetHead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NetHead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 3, 2010, 00:00
Total Comments 834 (Graduate)
User ID 55500

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 24, 2017, 19:41 NetHead

Slick wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 10:35:
So i feel noobish, what's single-rank vs double-rank memory? single/dual channel I know of, but I've never heard of "rank".

This is so fuzzy and I'm up late so take a some salt, more, I'm trying to remember stuff from loong ago lol..

You could perhaps think of a rank as an array.

They use more ranks on memory manly due to cost. The more memory (density) the more bandwidth needed, physical connections, management chips that can support that much data/bandwidth etc. Adding, or splitting into, ranks allows sharing of some resources.

So the reason for adding ranks basically boils down to price. Again this is foggy so don't make fun of me

Adding ranks complicates things, the "sharing" means you can only interact with one rank at any time. You want to write/read data but in a certain rank only (obviously, or you'll overwrite data in a different rank or retrieve incorrect data from a different rank or gods forbid have all ranks simultaneously write/read the data at their local Address XY), but they're all connected and all receiving those commands. So you have to turn all other arrays/ranks off (not as in power down, more like telling it to ignore everything until it's "activated")

Any such changes activating\deactivating can obviously only be done during cycles, and may take x number of cycles, to switch between addressing rank 1 and 2 etc. So that's a down side, obviously latency, but keep in mind how "long" cycles are, and speeds are ridiculous these days.

I seem to remember there being potential performance advantages with more ranks, but that's going from "foggy" to "underwater"..

As a user the only thing you need to worry about is how many ranks your system/motherboard supports per DIMM / total, the manual should tell you.

lol This reminds me of arguments/lectures in shop trying to explain to people that single/double sided RAM is not the issue (many confused double sided as 2 ranks, because that's how it first started, I think, for obvious physical reasons, though 2 sided normally just means more than 1 rank total, which is vague and not guaranteed). You can have 2+ ranks on one side, and one rank could theoretically span both sides (don't know if that's ever been done though).

don't forget the salt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2017, 13:58 NetHead

Frijoles wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 12:42:
Biggest issue I have with the animations is the eyes. They bounce all over the place. And they feel like they're floating in the socket. There's other janky animations going on also, but the eyes distract me. And the main character's face never changing. Bleh.

The eyes are shocking.

I remember watching one scene and it appeared as if they had mo-capped the voice actor and recorded their eye movement while reading their lines from a sheet of paper. Their eyes doing the whole,, move right, move right, move right, JUMP left, repeat..

I'm not saying that's what happened and I refuse to believe anyone is so stupid to have done that. It's just that it's so bad you end up watching it and thinking about that instead of what's being said, though what's being said is so cringe worthy most of the time which doesn't help avoid your mind wondering.

They continually wonder around instead of aiming at the thing/person they should be. If their head and body moved during a conversation their eyes should remain locked on what has their attention. This is par for the course kind of stuff nevermind for a AAA game. Even Mass Effect 1 wipes the floor with ME Andromeda with this.

The eyes are a mess from start to finish, beyond their animation. The textures are inexcusable, one could point to cheap indie games as examples or even decade old games, but you don't even have to as random monkeys online have "ms-pained" them as examples of how to do it better.

The eyes also don't focus, this was blatant the first time I saw that talking fish wearing makeup. They remain set, like two lasers remaining exactly parallel as if focusing on a distant star, constantly, soullessly starting through everything.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 13:40 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 12:26:
Fuck Trudeau and Cp. and the horse they rode in on. Booze prices need to go down not up. And once again we see this clown is all talk and pro-taxes. So no subsidies for people who need to take public transit AND a carbon tax to boot. Just another reward the elites and fuck the poor Liberal tax.

Every tax, except a single specific and only that one alone, is a "reward the elites and fuck the poor ... tax".

News Comments > Outlast 2 Outlasts AU Ban
3. Re: Outlast 2 Outlasts AU Ban Mar 24, 2017, 13:35 NetHead

Everything I've heard about the Australian censorship board genuinely seems like they're nothing but a bunch on a power trip.

There's no other explanation for their actions and attitude, this being another example of exactly that including the backtracking/flip-flop.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 23, 2017, 11:51 NetHead

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 21:13:
Geeze it even has hit John Deere. Can't fix your tractor because of a EULA.

More like can't fix things because of the DRM thanks to the DMCA (the kind of shit that gets shoved into those wonderful things called treaties).

EULA is not law, infact it would probably be the first thing to get tossed in court in many instances even in crazy litigious countries like the States. While in some countries an EULA isn't worth the paper it's written on (lol).

They know they have little to no chance of doing it all through the EULA, which is why they go out of their way adding computer/tech related stuff to things that don't even need them (similar to game publishers adding online components to single player games, deliberately and arbitrarily making it a technical "requirement", it's only ever the case because they decided to make it so).

They forcefully add something that they can lock with DRM and the DMCA then "protects" it from any modifications.

This is the kind of nonsense which is a great example and exact reason why, for years and years, many people have been repeatedly saying DRM is not about piracy, it's not to combat piracy. It's about control first and foremost, with any hindrance to piracy just being a very distant bonus.

This crap is already everywhere, from printers to coffee machines, even freaking lightbulbs (the internet of things is going to be great! /s).

Though you still get people going "DRM doesn't cause me any problems" "I don't have a problem with it".... words like obtuse don't come close to describing their thinking.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 17:06 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:50:
Not having seen the video, it's hard to speculate as to whether the viewers A) knew it was not consensual and B) knew the girl was underaged.

Fair enough, maybe I'm being to pessimistic, though it wouldn't be the first time hearing of situations where a number of people knew someone needed help and did nothing.

News Comments > Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows
11. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 16:56 NetHead

jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:32:
Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:18:

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:03:
Microsoft probably has 250 lawyers working feverishly right now to find a way to crush Vulkan, or neuter it to the point of being useless before any more devs drop DX12 support.

Or, on the other hand, they're on the board of Vulkan.

Purchase then deprecate, claiming to have "incorporated" the technology in to DirectX.

Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

Microsoft loves getting close to anything competition related, big or small. Even something as seemingly mundane as an open file format.

Microsoft absolutely should be a contributing member of the Khronos group, as they are, the problem is will they help advance it or hinder it. Unfortunately their track record isn't great even before considering that Vulkan does pose a threat to one of their carrot/sticks which they, again have a track record of, pulling with new releases of Windows.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 12:07 NetHead

There's a temptation to make inappropriate internet jokes etc. Though no one watching even called the police, from the safety of their own home. They didn't even have to stick their own neck out or get involved, they probably had a phone sitting next to them.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 11:15 NetHead

Glad I'm not the only one going WTF, with this IBM thing.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: W3C, DRM standardization, Mar 21, 2017, 21:42 NetHead

W3C, DRM standardization, reclassifies suing security researchers as a feature, not a bug.

This is really disgusting. Adding DRM alone is ridiculous and sad, the rest is beyond overboard and outright appalling.

Tinfoil hat me wonders how much pushing is going on behind the scene for WWW DRM. Wouldn't be surprised if it even ends up being used against things like ad-blocking (DMCA anti circumvention..).

May even have to look back fondly at the days you could drag an image out of a browser to save it, or download a Youtube video to watch later.

Sorry, but from bottom to top this is a thorough fuckup.

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
11. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 12:46 NetHead

Rain wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 12:05:
Convenient way another delay excuse will be switching API's was a lot of hard work, like health care, who would of known.

Well they can't really use it as an excuse for delays, I'm not saying they won't, just that it wouldn't be justified. Vulkan support may even be coming with the Lumberyard engine which wouldn't be at all surprising.

Going Vulkan should actually save time, as mentioned. Rather than worrying about 3 different API paths (DX12 For Win10, DX11 for Win 7, OpenGL/Vulkan for Linux) they can go with just Vulkan.

edit....

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 12:16:
..Vulcan has a long way to go before it is a viable spec...

If only there we some way to point out how wrong this is. Like if there were an example, some AAA game that looked impressive while running amazingly on Vulkan, made by industry veterans, the kind with over a decades experience with rendering in various games and engine with many prominent studios who decided Vulkan was a good way to go and made said game...

/ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
43. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2017, 09:34 NetHead

NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 02:06:
There's no getting around that this game has some shitty animations, but honestly I was expecting as much. Every single one of Bioware's games have had animations that were subpar for the time they were released, and plenty of stand out examples of characters/animations that were especially fucked up.

I think that's nonsense, sorry if I'm coming on strong but I've seen that kind of excuse spewed out so many times it's grating.

Mass Effect 1 had good animations when it was released. I still remember videos of them specifically showing off talking to people and demonstrating the facial animations. There are also reviews for it which say those things were good.

Besides even if that weren't the case, even if they've always sucked at this, that hardly seems like a reason to let it slide on a AAA/priced game.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 19, 2017, 09:17 NetHead

Fantaz wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 02:02:
honestly i dont care about funny faces, animations, or graphical bugs as long as the gameplay and story are good

For such a large AAA game, expensive and the fourth in the series I expect standards and quality.

If it were some cheap new indie entry it's understandable but not coming from the biggest publisher on the planet with a major IP.

Also for an PRG, nevermind with said RPG, writing is important too even if willing to throw money at lazy work or overlooking fish-faced talking heads. (ed, "lazy" work may be unfair, though that leaves incompetence which ultimately rests on management at least for allowing it presuming they weren't the cause of the results)

Speaking of writing. We got this. My Face is tired. We got this. We got this.

I've watched about 3 hours worth which of course includes a bunch of dialogue and only once with some side character was it decent, which shouldn't even have been noticed but it stood out. The rest of the time it ranged from sub par to atrocious garbage.

This extends beyond the dialogue, even events can be embarrassing to watch, as if it were part of a Leslie Nielsen movie but being taken seriously here.

There's also already a bunch of nonsensical explanations and lack of explanations. Things I don't see how they're going to explain in any worthwhile way.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: On Sale Mar 16, 2017, 12:37 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 08:42:
NetHead wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 08:06:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 23:10:
I always take the side of the little guy. However, in this case, Blizzard is right. Bossland is scum and only profited off a platform Blizzard spent many years developing and polishing.

Could use that kind of argument for ISPs charging things like Netflix for profiting off platforms they've spent years developing....many others all equally ridiculous.

No you couldn't. That's completely apples and oranges. One is a company illegally profiting off someone's intellectual property and the other - the internet - is an essential public service that was developed and paid for by the taxpayers.

Did you really not see that hook?

So if Microsoft decided no one is allowed to make and sell applications for Windows without their permission and simply said so in some EULA text, you would admonish anyone going against their will?

Also illegally? That's a deep self contradicting hole, even if naively assuming all laws are right or just or even realistic. Do EULA's make the law, do both countries these parties are from have identical laws for the relevant aspects..

I'm party just playing devil's advocate, though only partly.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 16, 2017, 12:25 NetHead

Pigeon wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 09:54:
Internet is a nessecity now, cable TV is not. So no surprise there.

So many still don't seem to realise that for a life in the modern world the internet really is a necessity, which is only going to increase.

I wonder if there was a similar perception with electricity at some point.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
11. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 11:58 NetHead

Cmdr Shepard's Pie wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:35:

..Microsoft .. won't support running older versions of Windows (like 7) on new CPUs,..

I'd say it's more than that, not supporting them in one thing, it requires zero effort, doing nothing. They seem to be actively withholding any and all updates if a newer CPU is detected, regardless of them having any or no problems whatsoever on those systems.

This is not refusing to support something, this is a counter move, going against, hamstringing something. Which takes effort and time, deliberate action.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
10. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 11:54 NetHead

ItBurn wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:33:
WaltC wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:29:
I think the actual translation here is that really, really old cpus (probably ten years old or older) won't be updated by Microsoft any further in Win10 and from now on. The older cpus lack the necessary hardware for security enforcement (NX bit, etc.) People are always misunderstanding technology in some way, it seems. It won't be too long before even 32-bit CPUs are no longer supported. Progress marches on, etc.

This is absolutely not what Blue posted.

I read it more as..

If Microsoft detects you have new hardware, specifically CPU, on an older version of Windows, then Microsoft will arbitrarily withhold updates to your system (possibly any and all updates, regardless of them being in any way relevant to the new CPU) in another blatant attempt at forcing people onto Windows 10.

Stay classy.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 16, 2017, 09:29 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 08:45:
Everyone likes a reslut's end.

Nice typo.

News Comments > Styx: Shards of Darkness Released
5. Re: Styx: Shards of Darkness Released Mar 16, 2017, 09:18 NetHead

I get the sentiment about the release date, though it's not really competing with things like Mass Effect or Wildlands (refuse to put Ghost Recon in there), beyond just being a game.

Also Mass Effect hype isn't going to die down any time soon so how long would they have to just sit on it, what else would be released in that time frame that would divert attention.

Styx is a good game and all especially if you want some stealth but being realistic it's small fry compared to other things mentioned and will be to things yet to come so there's always going to be something "bigger" hanging over it. It's not aimed at the lowest common denominator / widest audience possible, it might not be niche but there's not exactly a flood of competition in stealth either.

Ugh who knows, hope it does well and is at least as good as the last one with annoyances and flaws improved.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: On Sale Mar 16, 2017, 08:06 NetHead

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 23:10:
I always take the side of the little guy. However, in this case, Blizzard is right. Bossland is scum and only profited off a platform Blizzard spent many years developing and polishing.

Could use that kind of argument for ISPs charging things like Netflix for profiting off platforms they've spent years developing....many others all equally ridiculous.

834 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo