Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D_K_night

Real Name D_K_night   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 28, 2009, 02:26
Total Comments 187 (Novice)
User ID 55425

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure
4. No subject Nov 3, 2013, 13:08 D_K_night

Personally? You know what the true lesson here is?

Warhammer should have had it all. It should have been the gritty, alternative universe to WoW's disney-fied theme park. So what exactly led to warhammer's demise?

The game had many genuinely good ideas, ideas that were adapted into future MMO's past it. It was supposed to have far superior PvP content vs WoW's. Didn't it support realm vs realm combat too? All these things should have led up to a game which should have given WoW a good run for it's money.

And then Wrath of the Lich King came out and buried WAR. I think this game deserves a developer post-mortem. What exactly went wrong?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steve Ballmer to Retire
33. No subject Aug 23, 2013, 15:46 D_K_night

wtf_man wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 15:28:
I'm still not buying an XBone... nor Windows 8.x.

Not even if they bring back the Start Menu?

News Comments > 7.7 Million WoW Subs
16. No subject Jul 26, 2013, 11:19 D_K_night

Frijoles wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:40:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:37:
Somehow i doubt rift gained 600k subs directly from wow.

599,999. I went to GW2.

I'll return to WoW with the next expansion. I really want them to announce a new Warcraft RTS though. The story has gone stale since Arthas was defeated.

we need something like the lich king back. Just an over-arching villain established from expansion day ONE to taunt us and challenge us from the get-go.

News Comments > 7.7 Million WoW Subs
15. No subject Jul 26, 2013, 11:17 D_K_night

Even with its all-time lowest subscriber-base in years, WoW still remains the biggest MMO with easily the biggest revenue generation, no other MMO touches it.

Still though - they need to get back to the awesome days of Lich King when they scored 10 mil.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. No subject Jul 23, 2013, 16:18 D_K_night

Maybe MS oughta "aggressively discount" their Surface RT down to $99 bucks, WITH Type cover.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Movie Status
11. No subject Jul 3, 2013, 11:38 D_K_night

It's too late for a WoW movie.

They should have come out with it during Wrath of the Lich King time. It's gonna flop now.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. No subject May 31, 2013, 21:12 D_K_night

Hello, Peter Molyneux.

yeah...that milo game? you know...the game where you interact with a boy using the Kinect, and every single experience he's ever had, is uploaded to a master server?

Finish that game. Prove to us that it really wasn't scripted vaporware.

News Comments > GameStop Stops Rainbow 6 Patriots Preorders
10. No subject May 17, 2013, 19:00 D_K_night

that's ok, no reason to preorder from EBGames/Gamestop anyways.

Digital distribution, forget the glorified pawnshops.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals and "Donations"
7. No subject May 12, 2013, 13:47 D_K_night

This is insane and definitely, absolutely smells of a scam. Since when does someone go to kickstarter for $$ AND asks for "donations"

This doesn't make you look good.

News Comments > Thief 4 Trailer
19. No subject Apr 2, 2013, 02:30 D_K_night

Also notice garrett's eyes. One of them is already a different color, signifying that it's mechanical.

so it can't be a reboot, but rather a continuation of the series. yes different voice actor, but time will tell if the game truly isn't a thief game anymore.

News Comments > Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film
16. Re: Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film Mar 6, 2013, 19:25 D_K_night

sounded like more like, he wanted to make world of warcraft, but his own interpretation of it, which probably ended up completely unlike the universe of Azeroth.

Or why else would Blizzard be gunshy? They don't care if you make a great movie. They would care, if what you have in mind is so out there that it doesn't even begin to resemble the source material.

Or maybe Blizzard really is in the wrong. There's just so much that's not being said here. What was the script like? Show us...just something.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. No subject Feb 23, 2013, 00:43 D_K_night

hey RIAA:

I heard that times have been tough, and your workforce ain't what it used to be.

maybe it's time to bury the hatchet.

News Comments > EA Layoffs
1. No subject Feb 21, 2013, 20:38 D_K_night

yes, "transition is your friend" try telling that to a software developer who toiled through endless crunch time, 16 hour days, 7 days a week, never seeing friends/family.

These days it just seems as becoming a game developer is not the way to go. You're much safer doing a business analyst or PM job.

News Comments > StarCraft II Patch Plans
25. No subject Feb 15, 2013, 19:16 D_K_night

Well as they say, if you don't like it, well so sad.

Can't wait for the expansion myself, it's going to be awesome.

And before you guys rush in with "OOOH you're just a fanboi" - take a look at the games I've been playing lately:

- Assasin's Creed 3
- Hitman: Absolution

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
37. No subject Feb 14, 2013, 14:52 D_K_night

avianflu wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:06:
Multiple firings like that dont happen unless there was some area of notable and chronic dysfunction.

We'll never know the whole story.

And plus Valve ain't exactly some company with many thousands of staff.

Didn't they say they were small, and intended to always remain small?

25 people out of a few hundred is not some trivial number.

News Comments > Wizardry Online Launches
25. No subject Jan 31, 2013, 15:16 D_K_night

I was completely let down that this turned out to be just another third-person perspective game which resembles more hack-and-slash or MMO-type fighting, rather than the good-old days of what Wizardly just used to be.  

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
22. No subject Dec 31, 2012, 15:42 D_K_night

my expectation is that 40 years from now, I dust off an EA game, and I expect to be able to play it.

I paid good money for that, and that expectation is neither whiny, entitled, nor misguided.

My Pong, Atari 2600, Odyssey, and Vectrex consoles TO THIS DAY still function.

AND NO I don't care if some of you think I won't be alive. What if I still am in 40 years.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patched
22. No subject Dec 12, 2012, 20:05 D_K_night

Zan Lynx wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 15:54:
LgFriess wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 15:15:
The problem I found was, despite the story, the game play is still the old school MMO stuff. By that I mean packs of mobs just standing there waiting to die, dailies (the most horrible video game idea ever...EVER), grind, 95% repeated missions with different characters.

I played for the first 6 months, found a good guild, had some fun times, but it is what it is... WoW in space but not as good.
I think you must have burnt out playing WoW. See, I never played WoW and I'm still having a ton of fun in SWTOR a year later. It helps that I play a reasonable number of hours a week and don't burn through all 8 class stories in two months, I suppose.

I think that you know what you find boring, but did you consider the alternatives? I've played text MUDs that had zones with hunting packs of coordinating monsters. It was NOT FUN. There isn't time to plan, there isn't time to recover between fights and you can get curb stomped by multiple roaming groups at once. It may be more realistic but in order to win you need to have group coordination on the level of a military unit or a SWAT team, with a command hierarchy, formations and reserve units. Most gamers just don't have the time to learn how to do that. The gaming guilds that are that good would love it, I am sure, but the number of subscribers to a game like that would be low. Very low.

And it is a sad fact of life that creating content is always slower than consuming it, which means gamers will always be hitting the end of the available quests/missions, leaving nothing to do but repeat them over and over or play PvP which at least provides a new challenge each time.

I always find it interesting that people call Everquest and WoW "old school" and believe their game play is the original. Most people don't realize that the older text-based MUD games have tried most everything, long before WoW or EQ were around. There were games with evolving worlds; randomized world layouts; killer enemy squad AI that would hunt you down across the entire world map, cut off your retreat and even back off and heal themselves when losing; monsters that would regularly attack the town guards and sometimes sack the place, killing all the newbies as they logged in. There were games with fully unrestricted PvP where groups of players would sack the town and kill all the newbies logging in, or force them to pay to drink at the town fountain or die, or epic level mages would charm all the players in town and order them to jump into the pit.

Most of those things didn't get into the big games because THEY'RE NOT THAT FUN. Which is why "old school" MMO stuff that WoW uses is everywhere: because the formula works, for the most part.

And all those things you described happened all in a text-based format. Why did you leave the MUDs then, if they were still superior to graphical stuff?

I think also that much of the stuff you describe was embellished quite a bit. The "AI" you describe is pretty easy to simulate or make you think it's "intelligent" when you're constantly typing and feeding the game the location where you'll be or where you want to go.

There are games that have those things in there. Try Darkfall.

News Comments > MS Planning Annual "Windows Blue" Releases?
4. No subject Nov 28, 2012, 22:50 D_K_night

oh Microsoft.

I cannot even fathom, the sheer number of horrible BSOD puns headed their way.

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
82. No subject Nov 18, 2012, 01:52 D_K_night

Dades wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 17:05:
bigspender wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 16:52:
so whats the big deal? make your game anyway you want, and then release a separate tiled application to act as a live shortcut if you so want.

I doubt it would pass certification.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Exactly correct. The point is, You can't just "make anything you want" anymore.

This fires a bullet into the head of nigh any material that's not Disney rated.

Want to have a controversial character who talks smack about religion(one of Square's games had this)? You don't pass certification.

Wanna amp up the violence, but in an "artistic" way? You might not pass certification.

Hey how about a horror title? You might not pass certification.

187 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo