Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for M1

Real Name M1   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .o0o.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 3, 2009, 03:17
Total Comments 224 (Novice)
User ID 55372

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Next Month
15. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Next Month Aug 18, 2010, 21:30 .o0o.

I think you have to be a fan of Tolkien to really enjoy this game. I've never read any of the books so I'm not familiar with the lore like most players who I've met playing. Seems like the Tolkien world is very limited by what kinds of classes/abilities/spells can be introduced. I can't get all that excited about any of it.

Aside from that, this game's default UI really sucks ass. It's ugly and for some odd reason they choose to make everything white. So that's all you see if you're walking around in a dark area of the game is your blindingly bright toolbar and portrait border. It's like someone shining a flashlight in your eyes. You actually have a hard time seeing things around you in dark areas because of this. I found a replacement addon called Black Glass. Don't know if it's still available as I haven't played this game in a few years.

Another annoying thing was the non-fading chat windows, so even with the replacement UI, you're still forced to stare at that with the always visible chat tabs. Oh yeah, and the incredibly tiny icons for the effects on your character that didn't have text or a timer. Those things were 20x20 pixels on a 1920x1080 display! Seriously. Your inventory icons were also the same miniscule tiles. I felt so disconnected from my possessions. They were meaningless when glancing at them. Only after mouse-overs and reading the tooltip was I able to figure out what I was looking at.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Legal Briefs
6. Re: Legal Briefs Aug 17, 2010, 20:48 .o0o.

Tumbler wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:58:
There are people on craigslist offering sex with their children?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Is it common for parents to ask complete strangers online to show their 8 year olds how to have sex? So ridiculous that this sting actually caught anyone stupid enough to fall for it. lol

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 20:31 .o0o.

merc248 wrote on Aug 2, 2010, 19:49:
I'm a young smoker...

Younger than this smoker? http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6636857n

News Comments > PC Mafia II Demo Confirmed
12. Re: PC Mafia II Demo Confirmed Jul 23, 2010, 07:43 .o0o.

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 07:05:
Sepharo, your avatar annoys me. I don't know if it's my bully nature but I want to punch that kid's face.

I've always wondered if that was his actual picture.. I thought it must be. No one would use that picture unless it was really them. lol

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 22, 2010, 04:04 .o0o.

Sam Jenkins the actress, the soccer player, or Sammy "Jankis" the fictional character from Momento?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 19, 2010, 23:12 .o0o.

"..announced today that the Guinness World Record for non-stop gaming has been broken by six Dutch gamers during a 50 hour gaming marathon.."

Amateurs. lol

News Comments > StarCraft II Pre-Downloads
91. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 16, 2010, 07:48 .o0o.

Luke wrote on Jul 16, 2010, 05:49:
no matter what you typing your ip adress is still the same , "were are the most users ? wowface , and faceshet" lets rock , do you really think , that faceshet says : Ok let the user say yes or no to the implant . They made the deal with blizz , now show us the money is there next move,

What's clear here is that you believe there's a conspiracy going on between FB and Blizzard, but I'm not quite sure what that conspiracy is. For all I know, you don't even have an actual theory. So why don't you just lay it out on the table so we get an idea with what you think we are dealing with here. How do you think FB is going to benefit from this deal that would negatively affect you? You think they're in it for the money. Well, that's obvious, they ARE a business. No conspiracy there. You don't want FB to have your personal information, yet you have no problem giving that same information to Blizzard and more than likely dozens of other businesses.

Sounds like you're getting yourself all worked up without even considering the reason why.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Ship Architect
19. Re: Star Trek Online Ship Architect Jul 16, 2010, 02:44 .o0o.

The Advocate wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 20:03:
It was pure bliss as I imagined the screaming, the weeping and the begging.

Begging? For more? lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

For the record, I thought Creston's comment was appropriate. Seems any time you empower people with the ability to design, you get a lot of what he said. I imagine APB is ripe with sexual and racist images.

News Comments > StarCraft II Pre-Downloads
85. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 16, 2010, 02:28 .o0o.

The PC Warrior wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 19:42:
maybe blizzard should make fucking computer games and let the rest of us worry about managing our identity on the internet and whether we want to use facebook or not.

They made a game with optional functionality that on the off-chance some of the 400 million plus users of Facebook could take advantage of. I don't see the problem with that. Are you worried about them making FB a requirement? It would take you literally 30 seconds to sign up for an account with fictitious information. You spent more time than that typing your Blues post objecting to it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Digital Drugs Jul 16, 2010, 00:20 .o0o.

"Those who want to get addicted to the "drugs" can purchase tracks that will purportedly bring about the same effects of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote."

Obama might have to shut down the internet before this turns into a national epidemic.

News Comments > APB Plans
19. Re: APB Plans Jul 14, 2010, 03:47 .o0o.

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 10:58:
you can run into some REALLY well-armed people with a very low threat level - my guess being because you can just buy pretty much any weapon.

In an interview Dave Jones said, "...there are misconceptions about more powerful characters and more powerful guns. There are no more powerful characters and there are no more powerful guns in the game. But people die and they see a rating on a player. Rating has nothing to do with the kind of equipment they have. Our weapon system is exactly the same as Modern Warfare. We don't have more powerful weapons. We just have a different range of weapons."

Yet I see everyone talking about superior weapons and how particular weapons are way overpowered. Seems reasonable to assume that when you gain levels, you also gain access to better equipment, so why is Dave Jones saying otherwise? My only experience with this game was the 5 hour pre-release event they had.

The Eurogamer.net interview is here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/realtime-worlds-dave-jones-interview

News Comments > New Spore "DNA" Game
10. Re: New Spore Jul 10, 2010, 23:21 .o0o.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 22:29:
by the way, mammals don't lay eggs!

The platypus and the echidna are egg-laying mammals.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2010, 20:53 .o0o.

I like how Ninja Girl adjusts her thong.. wonder if her finger smells now.  

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
13. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 10:52 .o0o.

"Failure is no accident." -Dr. Phil  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2010, 02:29 .o0o.

Alganon has been $20 for over two months. I can't imagine them ever raising the price to $40. If people aren't buying it now, they sure as hell aren't going to buy it when it's twice the price.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
37. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 14:06 .o0o.

I played to level 16 in the beta. What I didn't like about the game is that there really wasn't anywhere to explore. You just couldn't go off in your ship to find an outer region of space, land on a planet and go walking around hoping to find something cool. In fact, you can't land most planets I've found without having the mission in your log. All planets you land on have a rather small area where the quest mobs are located with an outside perimeter of nothing of interest. I have seen one planet where there was a fleet mission, though.

There's no raid grouping in this game AFAIK with groups only being 5 people, I believe. When I did fleet missions I was usually walking around with other people outside of a group. No one seemed interested in starting groups--they may as well have been bots. Same goes for when you're on a mission and you get auto-grouped with others. They may as well be your away-team bots.

One of the things I enjoy doing in an MMORPG is accumulating items. Was pretty disappointed with personal gear in STO. You have slots for your stat-less uniform that you always have on, body armor (that you can hide to show your uniform), shield (not visible), kit (belt with abilities), two weapon slots you can swap between, and some device slots where you have to equip the items you plan on using (food or health pack for instance). There is nothing else. You can't get chest piece, legs, feet, hands, helmet or anything like that.

Your ship has a bit more options to choose from. I had one with 4 weapon slots, shields, consoles that modify your bridge officer skills, and, uh, couple more things, can't find a picture right now to refresh my memory.

All the items you can get are either mission rewards or random drops. AFAIK you can't go kill so-and-so with a loot table and hope to get a drop.

Knowing what stats affect what abilities was head scratching. Your own character really doesn't have much for abilities. Your bridge officers have most the abilities you'll be using and using them on the ground felt like a PITA, unless you want to stop the action and play it like some kind of "turn based" game. I just let them run around and do their own thing.

I'm sure you've heard already, but everything is instanced. Sector space traveling is extremely frustrating. Finding out what system in what sector in what sector block you need to go to for quests really sucks ass and usually required going through multiple sector block zones and then zoning into the system. Going to spacedocks means zoning into a small area of space where nothing else exists except the spacedock, which means you have to zone in, move your ship forward for a few seconds, and then wait through another zone load. Kind of ridiculous. Also a bunch of missions are like this where you zone into the system, fly for 20 seconds to the planet or asteroid without incident, and them beam down and wait for another instance to load.

All missions are a mix of the same types objectives.. Fly to base, beam down, fight in base, beam to ship and fight in space, end of mission. Pretty much sums up the missions, just mix those elements around and sometimes make the base a planet surface. Nothing special or unexpected drops off the mobs. It's either a gun, a shield, a kit, food, energy, or a tribble. No chests or anything like that to loot in the game world besides intangible objects that are HUD pointers labeled "anomalous data" that's always a research item or unusable items for a random "collect 10" quest.

Most of the quests I received were gotten by pushing a "Hail Starfleet" button under my mini-map where I could speak to one of several NPC's who would give me a mission.

I only played several ground PVP matches. Usually waiting 10 minutes to get into a match that lasted, literally, 1 minute. Maybe they fixed this.

I already pointed in another thread the lack of 3D movement in space. Another annoying aspect of space battling was diverting power to shields. You had to keep spamming the key EVERY 3 SECONDS of the battle if you were getting hit. You should just be able to tell your crew to divert power to fore shields and don't stop until you say otherwise. And every space battle was the same deal with no real strategy. Just use your abilities to get their shields down while firing disruptors, then use your torpedoes once their shield failed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So there's a few reasons for you NOT to like it.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 14:08.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 6, 2010, 14:50 .o0o.

152" plasma TV.. wow. The picture they have with the woman standing next to it looks like a Photoshop job. hehe  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:52 .o0o.

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 13:28:
I think you just explained why it is that way.

It would by nice to have the extra axis of movment, but when in Star Trek have you ever seen two ships out of orientation with one another?

Yeah, I've read the STO forums and their reasoning behind it. I'm certain their ships could and did move freely in 3D space. Just because you didn't see it happen, doesn't mean it didn't. It's ridiculous to limit my movement because of what looked better to an audience or whatever the reasoning behind the cinematography was. I don't know if you've played it, but seemed like a lot of people argued against free movement because it would "ruin" the experience for them. It was the limited movement that ruined it for me.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 13:53.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:03 .o0o.

I played STO beta and it should be noted that you can't move your ship around in space like you can in a game like Descent. You're pitch, yaw, and roll are all very limited so your ship always appears to others as "right side up" (as they do when you see them in the show). Pitch is limited to something like 45 degrees "from level". So if there were enemies directly above or below you, you can't just simply turn yourself 90 degrees and go straight towards them. It's extremely frustrating.  

News Comments > System Shock Modification
15. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 06:08 .o0o.

Surf wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 02:22:
I ripped it off box and all, shoved it down my pants at Egghead software and walked out, hahaaa, bastard!

Life before the internet. Now there's a story you can tell your grandkids. Rotfl

224 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo