Total Posts
786 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 38.
Newer [  1    25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ] Older

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
Dec 16, 2014, 23:09
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 23:09
Dec 16, 2014, 23:09

Anyone check out the slave rebellion in empire space (Sorbago system) yet? Turns out, I'm only 5 jumps from it. I thought I was in the middle of nowhere. Still have yet to see a player.

Too chicken to jump there atm.

I have a lakon 6 pretty souped up (with equipment, only base lasers and point defence should someone try and gank me) worth 2.5 million. I have 1.5 million in cash. I was going to save up for the Asp, but I'm kinda eager to fight something. Maybe I'll buy another Cobra, or even a viper instead, and save the Asp for later.

Dec 16, 2014, 18:09
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 18:09
Dec 16, 2014, 18:09

Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:01:
Traded down from a Cobra to a Viper, running gimballed m-cannons/gimballed burst laser... everything but a Elite Anaconda goes down very fast, even when I accidentally shoot the authorities all they do is tickle me. The anaconda took me to 47% in one hit with a burst of lasers/particle accelerator though... thankfully I can outrun that.

I tried sub-systems targeting (aiming for power plant) as I have heard you can destroy targets before 0%... but even targeting power plants they only blew up when they hit 0%, is there a better subsystem to target for quicker kills?

Vipers are bastards. One good shot and they are fucked, especially in a warzone. It's fun to watch them circle outside their target's range, line up, then shoot them in the back. Boom!

I kind of miss the early beta days. A viper 1v1 is a pain in the ass now.

On different topic, did anyone else notice the new frameshift charge icon? It's right underneath the "cargo scoop" part of the gui.

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous
Dec 16, 2014, 17:28
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:28
Dec 16, 2014, 17:28

Do you need to have the station targeted? May be a dumb question, but I tend to not do that.

I also get confused how you can have a destination lock but then target something else. It seems sometimes the dest lock goes away, other times it stays. Is the lock from your joystick different from the one through the panels?

Edit:
Also, my favorite bug of the weekend! The docking numbers will disappear! So awesome. I'm flying towards bay 3, then it winks out. I try to land there hoping to not get executed...and it works! But it was so annoying when I had no visual contact on the landing zone. I had to leave, cancel docking, then start over.

Dec 16, 2014, 17:16
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:16
Dec 16, 2014, 17:16

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:05:
Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:47:
5. As you cross the threshold of the mailbox, your compass will change to show where your docking bay is. This is useful if your docking bay is right up near the entry port. It's also useful to get your bearings in general since your docking bay can be above you or out of your field of view.
Thanks I actually didn't know this.
So many times I've entered the station and spun around like an idiot looking for my docking platform.
This will help

I am not convinced this is true. I have noticed the compass point changing...but last night it was going into the wrong area. With my luck, 9 times out of 10, the landing bay is right fucking beneath the mail slot. So if you see a retarded lakon 6 *just outside* the trespass zone spinning around...It might be CMDR Vall Forran.

Edit: Too much wine for lunch affecting grammar.

Dec 16, 2014, 15:23
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 15:23
Dec 16, 2014, 15:23

Thanks Lorcin! I didn't know that. I need to get a combat ship ready, I'm getting tired of trading.

Dec 16, 2014, 14:56
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 14:56
Dec 16, 2014, 14:56

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 14:38:
No problem
Here are all the training videos if you did not want to do the tutorials in game

Wouldn't mind seeing some tutorials on how to do missions.

For instance, got a mission that requests 3 toxic containers...

So, my first noob question... where? 400 Billion Systems... what are some pointers to understand how to approach it.

Very much liking the game... MUCH to learn

Objects are catagorized. Toxic canisters would be "Waste". If you highlight it in a commodities window, the flavor text on the right column will (usually) give you a hint where to buy it. I would guess "Industrial" zones would sell them for the cheapest. It will also list what systems it's imported from. They are usually systems right next door.

Open up your map, filter the trading list for toxic waste. Find one of the systems listed on import and then go into the system map. Click on various stations and find one that is "industrial" or whatever. Usually the stations all tend to be the same with various populations, but sometimes one will be agricultural and another industrial.

Plot your route and go trade!

Dec 16, 2014, 14:30
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 14:30
Dec 16, 2014, 14:30

Imperial Slaves can be bought at stations (well, in empire zones). They are more like indenutred servants working to pay off a debt, so from the empire's perspective they are quite honorable.

Slaves are the usual, terrible kind. Not sure if it changed, but I think the only way to find them is as cargo you salvage from a wanted ship. Maybe if you see one of those spiffy passenger carrier ships that is wanted?

Dec 16, 2014, 13:55
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 13:55
Dec 16, 2014, 13:55

I got really worried over the weekend. They patched up to gamma 2.05 and everything went straight to hell. Server disconnects every 5-10 minutes as well as a 50% chance to crash exiting supercruise.

After work, yesterday, I loaded it up again and they upped it to gamma 2.07 I think. Played it for several hours straight without any problems. Seems like they helped fix trading...turns out the AI ships were filling all the station's demands before players even had a chance.

I got friendly at a station in empire space and kept getting missions to deliver 2 imperial slaves and receive ~$50k. Slaves cost me about $10k...good deal! And then, there's different subfactions asking for the same quest. Boom, 4 slaves, $100k in rewards. That, in combination with my Lakon 6 hauling progenitor cells, I bet I made around a million credits in about two hours of play.

Looking forward to playing the "official" version after work!

Dec 16, 2014, 13:48
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 13:48
Dec 16, 2014, 13:48

What Spectral Meat said. I believe the first tutorial is called, "Docking".

Re: Limit Theory Video
Dec 15, 2014, 19:11
Re: Limit Theory Video Dec 15, 2014, 19:11
Dec 15, 2014, 19:11

Is this mouse controlled only? Looks amazing and I'm stunned that one guy is doing all of this. Definitely on my radar.

Re: X Rebirth Patch & Free DLC Released
Dec 12, 2014, 18:26
Re: X Rebirth Patch & Free DLC Released Dec 12, 2014, 18:26
Dec 12, 2014, 18:26

I revisited this game a few months ago. Major updates, but I still can't get over the terrible voice acting. And I agree, whoever named the ship the Albion Skunk either has a severe dislike for Peter Molyneux, or is so far off the bender they don't realize 99.9% of people don't name their spaceships anything with the word "skunk" on it.

Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer
Dec 11, 2014, 23:48
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 23:48
Dec 11, 2014, 23:48

Wow, they added a bunch of mission types I've not seen before. I feel weird, I didn't mean to end up in Empire, but I'm here now. I was expecting a wipe, so I didn't care. Now, I'm just going with it. I'm neutral with Empire, but I'm intrigued by all the slavery stuff. And I know the Empire is gonna blow the fuck up in a few days, but what the hell.

Dec 11, 2014, 19:24
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 19:24
Dec 11, 2014, 19:24

Makes sense...but I have only found one system with silver to mine from. Maybe I had bad luck? I dunno. I was actually equipped to mine, but gave up because I couldn't find anything to mine. Either way, it was kind of cool to see how it works, but ultimately even more boring than trading.

Re: Scrolls Launch Today
Dec 11, 2014, 19:15
Re: Scrolls Launch Today Dec 11, 2014, 19:15
Dec 11, 2014, 19:15

Frijoles wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 18:16:
Slick wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 11:06:
well it has it's own launcher, like many games do nowadays. so what about having to log into steam and the launcher is more appealing than just the launcher?

Buying a game on Steam:

1) Open store page
2) Click buy

Buying this game. I know this because I tried:

1) Download launcher stub.
2) Open launcher. Download full launcher.
3) Try to remember password.
4) Fail. Try to reset password. Repeat 3 - 4 until I give up.
5) Give up.

You're selling it pretty well, but unfortunately I can't login. Whether that's because I fail at reading and it's not the Minecraft login system, or because they refuse to send me a reset password, I dunno. I also don't care enough to dig deeper. This would all be a thing of the past if it were on Steam.

But the game costs $5? Wouldn't steam take 40% of that or something retarded? Just asking, but Steam doesn't seem nice to cheap games.

Dec 11, 2014, 18:50
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 18:50
Dec 11, 2014, 18:50

Ugh. Mining.

I really don't advise anyone doing this yet. But, hey, freedom and stuff.

Mining is really, really slow.

First. Get a mining laser. Class one is cheap, class two blows asteroids up faster.

Second. Get a refinery module. This processes said chunks of asteroid. DO NOT GET A REFINERY UNTIL IT CAN HOLD AT LEAST 3 SPOTS. Seriously. You blast an asteroid, rocks come out. The rocks will be of various types. The refinery breaks them down, but can only hold so many types. If you have three slots in your hopper, and you get a fourth mineral type, you will have to manually eject that stuff. It's super annoying.

The other thing about mining. This isn't explained anywhere official (surprise!), but to mine you actually fly to a ringed planet. It's pretty cool...you seriously just fly so close you feel you're gonna crash, then the rings update textures to little rocks. Then you disengage from supercruise.

There are "extraction points", but IT'S A TRAP! Tons of enemy npcs waiting there. Flying to a ringed planet, you are actually completely safe from anyone fucking with you.

Next stage, or, actually, the first...is finding a planet to mine. System view, my friends. So...89 Draconis (or 68, I'm terrible with the numbered systems) is the gold rush atm. What you want to find is a ringed planet. Then upon selecting it, you can see its level, from "depleted" to "pristine". Guess which is better.

The other thing you want is the type of stuff to mine. The rings can be "rocky" which yields minerals (not worth it), icy (completely useless), and "metallic"...yes! There's also "metal rich" which sometimes yields metal, but usually is minerals.

Mining is extremely time consuming. So bypass as much bullshit as you can. You will be pissed off blasting rocks, scooping them up, then selling them for a grand total of $2k credits.

Don't mine anything less than silver. Silver, gold, palladium, platinum.

A few tips. You warp out and there are millions of asteroids. To keep you from wasting time, always aim at the planet and move forward. No need to mine the same asteroid twice. Next, blast one asteroid until something comes out. If it's indite or something dumb, move on. If it's silver...hit that. Last, you can save on scooping problems by mining from the asteroid's pivot. You shoot in the middle of it's spinning rotation, the ejecta will shoot out in a straight line. You just start lancing that thing where ever, it will shoot out all over, collide with asteroids, and generally add 10 minutes to your collection time. Oh, and they blow up after a few minutes anyway.

Long story short...mining is kinda cool, in an X-universe way, but is probably the most underdeveloped gameplay mechanism in the game.

However! If you happen to find a silver and above pristine system! Stop what you're doing and mine the fuck out of it. You can make 200K/hour. When exploring, always check the ringed planets of whatever system you pass through.

Phew. I kinda feel like mining now.

Edit:

It takes about an hour. Your refinery takes little chunks of rocks and starts turning them into full on cargo. It is around 10 to 1. So, scooping your first batch of rocks isn't even going to net you 1 cargo of whatever metal/mineral you're collecting.

Spending an hour collecting indite will net you maybe several thousand credits. Meanwhile, you can make twenty times that doing missions. That's why I suggest only doing high value metals.

And, you don't really know what you're gonna get. If you find a planet that says "metallic" and "pristine", you still don't know what metal you will find, though I'd check it out because that is rare.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2014, 19:04.

Dec 11, 2014, 18:31
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 18:31
Dec 11, 2014, 18:31

Indeed! Look me up!

I'm:

CMDR Vall Forran.

Dec 11, 2014, 18:01
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 18:01
Dec 11, 2014, 18:01

Small request, but I'll give it a go.

This game is a complete sandbox. Huge. Literally 400 billion star systems to roam around. The entire milky way is open.

Ultimately, it's a space-sim. Seems obvious, but I'm surprised how many people don't realize this. The game is based on the idea you control your space ship. You have to manually dock. Manually fly. If you warp, you still FLY there. No jira or loading screens to magically skip you where you want to go.

The combat is pretty much the same as freespace 2. Which is fucking awesome. It's brutal, especially if you're on the receiving end. Same idea, though (they probably borrowed it from elite)...you can shift power to shields, weapons, engines.

It's also an rpg of sorts. There is a huge grind to make money to buy ships. Then even more to buy upgrades to ships. Essentially, all the ships are like cars sold with yugo motors and ghetto parts. The good parts cost upwards of 5 times your ship's cost...

I'd describe it as Freespace 2 with your pilot gone rogue. You can just go where ever and make your ship more awesome, whilst shooting fools. Not any story...there does seem to be some story even on launch day...but again, ultimately, this game is about you going and doing whatever the hell you want.

Edit:

Sorry, that stupid fucking trailer is in my head. Freespace 2 is totally combat based. Elite is like that...if you can find a combat zone. I think they are opening back up on launch day...but right now it's pretty bare.

What I failed to mention is that you will be trading to gain money to buy higher quality ships. So...space trucking. It's kind of boring...but oh my god...the first 50 times you dock you will probably live through 40 of them. Pretty huge learning curve.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2014, 18:06.

Dec 11, 2014, 17:29
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 17:29
Dec 11, 2014, 17:29

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 17:06:
But this on endless loop while playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-lSTlUnfA

Space Truckin!

Dude. You are my new best friend.

Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
Dec 11, 2014, 16:57
Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 11, 2014, 16:57
Dec 11, 2014, 16:57

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 15:47:
Pen and paper? Really? Wtf I want my money back lol
That galaxy map and navigation Ui could use some more work. Hopefully future patches will improve it.

Hahaha! Welcome to elite! 1984 updated to 2014...mostly.

Dec 11, 2014, 14:07
Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 14:07
Dec 11, 2014, 14:07

InBlack wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 08:54:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 08:42:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 07:36:
As I docked I was reading the news at the station some of the top player pirates have nearly 300,000 bounty on their head already!

Haha yes that's probably mostly the dumbasses who thought there'd be a wipe and went bonkers shooting anything in sight all willy-nilly. Welp, and now with no wipe happening they are finding themselves at the center of attention all of a sudden .

Is there any way to track these bandits across the galaxy? For example a last known location would be kind of cool. So that bounty hunting isnt a matter of random luck of running into AI or player pirates while sniffing around lawless systems?

(someone please say yes)

I was thinking of specializing exclusively in these kinds of missions.

There's a kill warrant scanner that will show the status of everyone in your current system, the more expensive ones to a wider range. If you want to track someone, use the frameshift wake scanner. It will set your nav point to where they jumped and you can follow them if your ship has the range. I haven't used it yet, but the mechanics should be in place to track someone around the galaxy. You still have to "bump" into them in the first place, though.
786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 38.
Newer [  1    25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ] Older