Total Posts
786 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 29.
Newer [  1    24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ] Older

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
Jan 21, 2015, 00:08
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 21, 2015, 00:08
Jan 21, 2015, 00:08

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 21:29:
Thanks!
CD-37 641 is 180Ly away from where I am
I'll haul my ship over some other night
I am in Leesti

Also, this route uses Imp Slaves. They cost $15.5k to buy and sell at $16.5 or so.

If you buy them times a hundred, well, you get where I'm going.

This is why the T9 is so expensive. You can buy 500t of fish and make tons of cash.

Jan 20, 2015, 23:55
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 23:55
Jan 20, 2015, 23:55

Also, if you see me, say hi!

I am gentle, I don't shoot people unless provoked.

Jan 20, 2015, 22:22
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 22:22
Jan 20, 2015, 22:22

There are a lot of sites to look up trade routes... I hear Fed space is better for trading.

Try this out where you are and see what hits you get:
http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Jan 20, 2015, 20:06
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 20:06
Jan 20, 2015, 20:06

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 19:23:
Thanks for the trade route by the way I will definietly check it out. The 11 stop rare trade run is profitable but it literally takes me 2 nights to make it around to get back to the starting point to swap ships and able to do something else which is a bit too much of a time investment for me.
I like to be able to jump between fighting and trading a bit more frequently.

No worries dude. It's a fairly centralized location (in empire space, though). It's not far from Sol, and pretty much within four jumps to anything political going on. Except onionhead bullshit..or maybe..I dunno, haven't messed around with Fed politics yet.

If you have a type 6, you can basically cut the cargo/profits in half, but that's still more than you'd make doing rare trade runs. Plus, you can stop when you get bored and do something else.

Edit:

Now that I'm home here's the route:

(Also note, the best commodities are EXPENSIVE. You need a couple million just to but stuff. I like to have two million set aside. If you're in a 100t capacity range, one million should be good. Just be careful if you're one of those crazy bastards flying without a shield. I'd recommend putting one on, even if it's a couple classes lower than the standard.

CD-37 641 -- Lagrange City. Buy Gold. Sell Imp. Slaves. Profit ~989/ton.

Siddha -- Blaauw Orbital. Sell Gold. Profit ~916 per ton (next time I went there I got 1,100 per ton...like I said something's finicky). Buy Imp. Slaves.

Shite...it's not as good as it was yesterday. But, it's still good money and easy to fly. It's so short that interdiction troubles are non-existent. Anyway, just throwing this out there.

Also, I am using a large ship, so I can't use outposts, which actually have better deals. You can probably find better deals in the same systems; I am locked out from any place lacking a large landing pad.

Edit:
If gold gets not worth it (under 900) try indium. It's cheaper and is usually around the same profit to sell...and half the price of gold. Check the price at the other station and do the math.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2015, 23:51.

Jan 20, 2015, 19:52
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 19:52
Jan 20, 2015, 19:52

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 19:23:
The guy recording the video was in a Viper. He was being interdicted by the Python. Than his friend jumped in with an Asp and they chew the Python into pieces.
Bbye 80mill ship.
Hopefully he had insurrance. I can imagine the wtf on the Python player face when the Asp showed up.

Thanks for the trade route by the way I will definietly check it out. The 11 stop rare trade run is profitable but it literally takes me 2 nights to make it around to get back to the starting point to swap ships and able to do something else which is a bit too much of a time investment for me.
I like to be able to jump between fighting and trading a bit more frequently.

There's another one between Sifjar (Herschel's Port) and Ivins Vision (forget the system name, but again typing the port will work in the system map). It's two jumps if you have a good jump drive. Also, Sifjar is LOADED with combat zones. Ivins Vision is Fed space, but high tech with lots of goodies. Sifjar is Empire. It's a borderline warzone. Pretty cool spot...fyi.

I forget what you trade. I think it's Consumer Tech from Ivins Vision and maybe Beryllium from Herschel? I think that's right. They are about 25ly apart. It costed my clipper 4k fuel costs (each way), so that's why I left. But I parked my combat viper there. >:)

Jan 20, 2015, 19:41
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 19:41
Jan 20, 2015, 19:41

Are you sure? I thought he was in a python. Though, that would make sense why the python completely ignored him. Pythons and Vipers look very similar, now that I think about it.

Still...if I were flying that python, I'd have smoked them both. Beam lasers are stupid. And if I can afford a python, I'd have some torpedos or missile racks just for that being outnumbered situation.

Jan 20, 2015, 18:51
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 18:51
Jan 20, 2015, 18:51

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 11:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 11:10:
*ugh* Insurance on a reasonably equipped Python -- $5.5M
Yeah but that ship itself cost 56mill or something. It's probably up in the 80-90 mill range when you have it well equipped.
Not really sure what you'd use it though, killing all the smaller ships would probably rack up your repair bill.
Also this doesn't make me want to run out and buy one as soon as I have the money for it.
I guess if you fly in a pack it can be a super powerful ship but solo not the best idea

The video was confusing because it wasn't presented well. Turns out the guy was the one being interdicted, not the other way around. Also cool, is that his friend scanned the wake to find where he was and was able to warp in and help him fight off the opposing python.

I didn't notice what the player's friend was flying, but I was surprised the enemy python didn't jump out.

Cool to see multiplayer in action, though! We should try it sometime!

Jan 20, 2015, 18:41
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 18:41
Jan 20, 2015, 18:41

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 15:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 15:35:
Mind giving the specifics?
Remember the market is player driven even in solo.
If he gives specifics and we all start doing the same trade run the market may get flooded and no longer profitable.
With that said I have no clue how much of an influence a single player has on the market tbh.

It's not that big a deal. Usually, before the routes dry up I move on from boredom. Where I'm at now is annoying because the trading is perfect, but the stations are tiny non-high-tech...so to upgrade I need to leave anyway. After finding several routes that work, you learn patterns of what stations feeds another kind of station.

The tricky thing is finding two stations really close together and thet aren't 3000ls away from the warp in point.

Edit:
I will say, the routes I've learned on my own...will die with me.
I've checked a lot of the trading tools and none of them have seen some of the routes I've found.

Jan 20, 2015, 17:25
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 17:25
Jan 20, 2015, 17:25

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 16:05:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 15:56:
Really? Wow, did realize that figured it was static.
Actually a correction to my comment the market is influenced by player actions but not driven by it.
Reading up on this I guess players can not make as big of a difference to market as Frontier made it out to be before the game launched.

They definitely can! But, it takes tens of players to affect the supply/demand of a station. A few at a time will not even alter the supply/demand numbers that I have noticed.

This has been something FD has been working on. T9s can ruin shit if you wanted a true player economy. FD has been fudging the numbers to keep this from happening. It's total black magic at this point. When you buy items, the supply you just bought from doesn't even subtract anything.

I wonder if they do some sort of average and then "update" each station later in the day to avoid spikes. Or if hundreds of players find a route that's ridiculously lucrative, they close it down.

Just speculating, but it seems much more admin controlled than player driven.

Jan 20, 2015, 17:13
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 17:13
Jan 20, 2015, 17:13

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 15:35:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:26:
I found a pretty sweet route. It's just between 2 stations that are only 5.4 ly apart. I have 224t of cargo space. Fuel cost is laughable since the distance is so short. I sell beryllium one way and make about $250k. Then I bring Imperial Slaves back for about $230k. I make just under $500k in about 7 minutes. Rinse, repeat. I don't think rare trading can beat that.
Mind giving the specifics?

Sure, I'm the only one there so far that I've noticed. It's between Siddha (Bluuwa Station...misspelled it but it's close) and CD-something or other. On the map it's literally right next to Siddha. It's Lagrange station...you can type that in and the map will point you at the right station. (BTW! Did you know you can type in stations and not have to remember the weird random digit systems?)

It's really nothing spectacular. You find a route that gives you $1k or better profit per item, then the more cargo you carry the more you make.

I've also noticed that the instances have different prices. It's really bizarre. I've gotten $250k one time and $210k another. The latest patch has seemed to fracture something... It's all still profit, just if you use one of those trading sites, dont' be alarmed if your prices vary from it.

Edit:
A lot of people pride themselves on long trade runs. Personally, I try and factor fuel cost and time as well. Sure, you might make more money jumping 50ly away, but you'll also spend 10% of said profits on fuel and also are more subject to interdictions, and then the time it takes to get there. Or, you sacrifice cargo space for a fuel scoop and have to wait for a minute or more at the fusion gas station.

I like to find two stations as close as possible to each other and also have the stations as close to the star as I can manage. Time is the most important money function, which is why I don't like the rare trade runs anymore. They take hours, and you get on a weird loop where you always have items in your hold that you need to fly far away to sell for max profit. I ended up just selling them at almost face value to break the cycle.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2015, 18:48.

Jan 20, 2015, 13:26
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 13:26
Jan 20, 2015, 13:26

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 10:47:
Something else I've been meaning to ask about..

I've see people indicating that once they had a ship with 200t cargo they could make far more money on 4 jump loops then you could on rare runs. But I haven't ever seen any specifics on this, anyone know if that's true and have an example of a trade you could do?

I found a pretty sweet route. It's just between 2 stations that are only 5.4 ly apart. I have 224t of cargo space. Fuel cost is laughable since the distance is so short. I sell beryllium one way and make about $250k. Then I bring Imperial Slaves back for about $230k. I make just under $500k in about 7 minutes. Rinse, repeat. I don't think rare trading can beat that.

Jan 20, 2015, 13:20
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 13:20
Jan 20, 2015, 13:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 08:21:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 23:57:
Flew back to my clipper and sold the adder. Back to slave trading!
Been meaning to talk about this -- since the Slave missions give reasonable bucks, I was assuming they gave reasonable reputation. Since they always have those long mission times, I've been grabbing them when I see them, save up 5 or 6 of them, then go buy slaves at the only place I know about, Abazi. Where are you getting your slaves?

Heh, I've only found slaves once..from a cobra that interdicted me. I actually meant Imperial Slaves, which is just another commodity that's legal in empire zones.

I don't have the greatest luck smuggling, I get scanned 9 out of 10 times and immediately get fines greater than what I'd make on the black market. I avoid picking up stolen goods now like the plague.

Jan 20, 2015, 00:31
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 20, 2015, 00:31
Jan 20, 2015, 00:31

Weird thing I noticed. Cobra has two seats, pilot is American style on the left. I think the Anaconda was similar, though that has a bridge and I only flew one for a couple days during beta.

The Clipper has two seats, but the pilot is on the right, British style. I also noticed this on the Adder last night.

I know the brits were asking why the pilot chairs were set up american style, but that is standard for all planes.

No reason for this... I just was thinking this was kind of interesting. I know the clipper and adder are newer ships to the public, maybe Frontier said, what the hell?

Edit:
The interior of the Adder was surprisingly nice. Obviously Clipper is luxurious. Slight?

Jan 19, 2015, 23:57
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 19, 2015, 23:57
Jan 19, 2015, 23:57

I know! Python is a *medium* ship too! I'm at about $40 million in current assets, python costs $54 million or so.

But buying a python and then upgrading/maintaining one, I'd imagine I'd need around $80 million at least. That's a looooong way off.

I saw some people setting up explorer ships using the class D modules we were talking about earlier. Asps getting almost 40ly/jump. Hauler, surprisingly, is not too far off at 34ly.

I actually kitted out an adder (never flown one) as an explorer last night and went to the Sol system and some brief exploration runs. It's too slow for me. If I were stoned, it'd probably be the best thing ever. But the whole time, I'm thinking, "I could be making $500k every 10 minutes. This is bullshit."

Flew back to my clipper and sold the adder. Back to slave trading!

Jan 19, 2015, 18:51
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 19, 2015, 18:51
Jan 19, 2015, 18:51

Random things I've discovered lately...

Before you start fighting in an Asp or Clipper, let me give you some repair bill details.

(I found a huge combat zone area...so this is where I've been testing stuff) (edit:) Sifjar. It's near Ivins Vision. Sifjar is Empire, Ivins Vision is Federation. It's a good war frontier.

Both are quite good at combat. With shield cells properly managed, you can go quite a while without getting damaged. Unfortunately, I always overstay my welcome and end up with 8 guys shooting me. I run away at 65% hull strength. The following ships have standard light alloy hulls.

An asp at that will cost you about $90k.
A clipper will cost you about $285k.

Compared to the $20k you probably made from vouchers...the combat zones are definitely not worth it for the larger ships.

I was testing out my clipper last night with my turreted class3 pulse lasers. I set them to "target only" and they performed pretty well. The annoying thing I noticed, is that if my target was 6km away, they still shoot at it. I actually had to un-target and fly at him until I was in range, then re-target. Seems an oversight that turrets will overshoot their range. No wonder other ships get shot at.

I didn't have an incident where my turrets shot a friendly and promptly turn the whole warzone red against me. (And trust me, there were TONS of people around). I'm reluctant to turn on the "fire at will" mode, since my shields are downgraded to a class 4 instead of 6, so I'm not that strong...I dont' want to fight 8 people at once.

The Asp is like the mantis shrimp as explained by The Oatmeal. "One, two, three, death!" You have six guns and don't seem to have the power problems the viper has. Problem with the Asp is most people rig it to fight small ships, fight a few "dumb" ai large ships, then get outright destroyed by the "smart" ai ships.

Just be aware of what you're packing. Six multicannons will tear through a cobras' shields and armor quick-like. Against a (good) python, he'll absorb all of your bullets and blast you with 6 weapons of his own that are higher class than yours. The math won't work out to your favor.
Edit:
Messed up a your/you're.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 23:51.

Jan 19, 2015, 15:00
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 19, 2015, 15:00
Jan 19, 2015, 15:00

It's mostly for fighting in anarchy space. Every ship is "clean" until they get scanned. I also think (probably wrong, but I'm paranoid) that if you scan a ship and it shows he is wanted, you can open fire without waiting for him to shoot you first.

Edit:
Also, say you're in empire space. A guy is "clean". Scan him and check the info panel on him, he might be wanted in Fed space for a lot of money. You'd never know that without a scan.

Edit2:

I got post 666. I should get auto-promoted to Guru.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2015, 17:09.

Jan 19, 2015, 14:48
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 19, 2015, 14:48
Jan 19, 2015, 14:48

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 13:47:
Ones the shields are down the multi cannons do a lot more damage than the lasers, especially if you are close.
I often fire them all at the same time to do max damage also but it is nice to have the option to use them separately.

True. Multicannons also lack the range of lasers, so you might end up wasting a ton of bullets. Lasers have a damage drop off, but at least you can needle ships from 2km away.

Railguns are the only weapon that does both thermal and kinetic damage, but cause all sorts of power issues.

This is my viper loadout currently.
Viper

As you can see, when I deploy my weapons I have my ship set to disable the power to fuel scoop, interdictor, and kill warrant scanner. I'm still at 105% power, so I also have the cargo hatch turned off (5%...and I don't even have a cargo bay).

It's super annoying when I need to scan someone and accidentally deploy my weapons. But it's a lot cheaper to fight with and repair than my clipper.

Jan 19, 2015, 13:18
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 19, 2015, 13:18
Jan 19, 2015, 13:18

One trick I'm kind of liking is to only upgrade the life support to 'D'. It weighs a lot less than the 'E', and gives you 7.5mins instead of 5, which should be plenty. Fairly cheap way to increase your jump range. (Granted, tiny ships it doesn't really matter, but a Cobra could make a difference).

Jan 17, 2015, 14:48
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 17, 2015, 14:48
Jan 17, 2015, 14:48

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 09:13:
Okay, I decided to try working on my Empire reputation thinking I might buy a Clipper some day and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there someplace specific I should be looking for the rep. jobs? I seem to spend as much time flying around looking for them as doing them.

2. Most of them seem to be for the local system Empire faction, does that count to the "Empire" itself or not?

And as a comment, it sure would be nice if the faction displays and awards were more precise. I have no idea if I need to do 100 of these things or 10,000...

No place specific, every station should have them. More heavily populated stations might have more missions to do. On your right hand pop-up screen, you can switch the reputation pane to show the current factions in the area. It'll show how much influence they have in the system. If you click on one of them, it'll give a summary of what that faction's all about.

Usually, one or two factions are independents or rebels -- don't do those. The rest should be allied with the empire.

If you gain rep with the Empire Party (or any allied with the Empire), that will also get you empire rep. I got to Baron rank while still being neutral, so I'm not sure how you know how many missions you need to do. I became friendly with a few factions way before Empire as a whole finally turned Friendly.

When you have done enough to progress, a mission will become available saying, "Imperial Navy Advancement" or something to that effect.

Ranking up is actually pretty quick. I think I've done less than 100 missions. The missions are better if you are friendly...trading at stations will also slowly make them like you more.

Jan 17, 2015, 04:58
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 17, 2015, 04:58
Jan 17, 2015, 04:58

Hi Frontier,

If I'm in a large ship, please stop giving me awesome jobs that pay $170k for transporting 100+ items...to an outpost where I cannot dock. I cannot realize this until I've traveled to that point, or have the insight to check out what the port is before I land. Sorry, but seeing $170k mission makes me click before I think. And then I have no choice to abandon the mission, dump the stolen cargo (totally would trade it in the black market, if I could fucking find one near my trade route), and pay an $80k fine.

Yeah, I'm done with trading "missions".

Your computer software is from 1984 or something.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2015, 05:13.
786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 29.
Newer [  1    24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ] Older