Total Posts
786 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 27.
Newer [  1    22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37    40  ] Older

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
Jan 28, 2015, 19:38
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 28, 2015, 19:38
Jan 28, 2015, 19:38

Multiple characters are tricky...

On the one hand, having one character is probably why there is not much griefing.

On the other, many players (myself included) would love to try out piracy or do some of those kill trader/authority missions, but I don't want to ruin the reputation I have built up. This game makes it so easy to get bad reputation and is really hard to work your way out of it.

Jan 28, 2015, 01:04
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 28, 2015, 01:04
Jan 28, 2015, 01:04

If you want to take a screen shot(f10), but your UI is in the way... alt+shift+g will turn it on/off.

Jan 28, 2015, 00:32
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 28, 2015, 00:32
Jan 28, 2015, 00:32

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 07:13:
Ha! I only just noticed the "Top 5" bounty thing in the news column. There are guys with seven figure bounties out on them, saw one guy who is up to a $7m+ bounty. At $5k per player killed that would be 1400+ kills... I'd loved to know his ship build out.

I'm pretty sure it's not like that. There must be some sort of curve to it....or at least to the bounty. That's not something I've dealt with, but I know during beta there were guys with HUGE $100 million bounties.

Maybe killing authorities is extra bad? I'm curious now. I'll do some research.

Jan 28, 2015, 00:12
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 28, 2015, 00:12
Jan 28, 2015, 00:12

Hahahaha! I changed mine to a female at the launch, it wasn't there in beta. Then I looked down and was like, well, hello... I'm super mature.

//----- Total change of topic.

Ooh, one more thing. Look for ringed planets. Even before you scan them, they will say what reserves they have. You are looking for "pristine". Then, if you scan it and the ring type is "metallic" you have most likely found millions of credits worth of mining. Platinum can only be mined.

Definitely something to write down. Rocky or icy rings are useless. Metal rich is mostly useless.

Jan 27, 2015, 17:39
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 27, 2015, 17:39
Jan 27, 2015, 17:39

Black holes will appear almost like a USS signal. There's a signal to lock onto, but nothing visible. And you have to fly within 5 ls of it to scan.

Sorry, I worded my previous post badly...you don't need the orbit lines to see them. They will just be "unexplored" but instead of a planetary body or star, it's empty. The orbit lines help, but aren't necessary.

I'm a total geek, so I like the orbit lines... especially in a zone with multiple stars and black holes. It's fun for me to imagine the cascading gravity effect.

I also digitally blow things up for a living...so black holes slowly drawing tens of stars into their maw is pretty formidable. A bit more powerful than hulk-smash.

Jan 27, 2015, 17:34
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 27, 2015, 17:34
Jan 27, 2015, 17:34

FYI, you can change your gender at anytime. It's in the main menu options.

Elite:

Con:
Computers that can do spreadsheets or track data don't exist.

Pro:
Through advanced medical technology, you can instantly change your gender at any time without any recovery time needed.

Jan 27, 2015, 12:51
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 27, 2015, 12:51
Jan 27, 2015, 12:51

Flatline wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 10:45:
...and apparently you choose the gender of your commander anyway in one of the weird submenus for... who knows what.

So when you look down with trackIR, you see your boobies!

Jan 27, 2015, 12:45
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 27, 2015, 12:45
Jan 27, 2015, 12:45

I believe rocky planets are a uniform brown or gray color. Icy planets are white. I scanned a million of them and they were always rocky or icy. I kept expecting to find a hidden one with something amazing but, nope, rocky or icy. If you stop scanning those, you're pretty much only left with a few objects to explore.

A planet is 'interesting' if it actually has some detail on the image in the system map. Volcanic planets have red and black streaks on them. Planets that look like earth (ie, with clouds) you should definitely scan. The jovian planets are great to scan...they are huge so you can scan them from much farther away.

Watch for black holes. They are invisible except for their orbit lines. The system I found had like ten stars orbiting two 'missing' objects. Turns out it was a binary black hole that captured all of the stars. On the system map they are there, but sometimes hard to see (especially if the background is pitch black).

The tricky ones are 'high metal content'...though I believe they are usually the closest ones to the star.

It would be neat if you could deploy probes to help you scan. You could cover a lot of ground (er, space?) much quicker.

Jan 27, 2015, 03:33
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 27, 2015, 03:33
Jan 27, 2015, 03:33

Bored of trading station to station like a hamster. Gonna try rare trading again. In a CLIPPER! I think when I was doing them earlier, I had a really crappy jump range. I fully expect to do one rotation then promptly say that was stupid. But, ya know, variety. I also hear the pvp has gotten good around the rare stations. >:) Oh, no, I'm an innocent clipper...I have no weapons...

Mr. Tact will be happy... Gone is the wank shield (which is still valid as a trading option, it holds up long enough for the frameshift to kick in, and I have the shield cell when it gets to 50% health) and in place a nice, shiny D7 shield...with a 3A shield bank backup. I now only have 88t of cargo space, but I also have a 22ly jump range and a B4 fuel scoop. I am well equipped to throttle most everyone who fucks with me (aside from high level pythons and anacondas, and the mythical team of player pirates/whatever).

I created an aggressive trader. I'm a dork, sorry, but I'm having so much fun with this game.

Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
Jan 27, 2015, 00:14
Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 27, 2015, 00:14
Jan 27, 2015, 00:14

There are about two places in the galaxy that are "gank" central. And that's only because traders have found a ridiculously easy money making scheme that makes them $13 million per HOUR. If I were a pirate, I'd be there...

Also, that point is gone now because the excessive trading led to a smaller faction gaining control, which led to a civil war. Now, if you try and go there, you'll only find combat zones.

The idea that you are constantly getting ganked is not realistic. I've put in 300 hours in the game since release, constantly in "open" and have only been messed with by other players three times.

The Eve-scum of the universe are in a game called...Eve. This game is too spaced out for that to happen. The mechanics favor the prey, usually when people die it's because they attack a ship who promptly kicks their ass.

There's a bug that labels every player character as "harmless". Come at me bro!

Jan 26, 2015, 20:53
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 26, 2015, 20:53
Jan 26, 2015, 20:53

If they are going that route, they should have something similar to Tribes 2.

Target a player, press 'v', a quick context menu opens with different types of communication options, then submenus making the comm more specific. In the end, you press v,p,d and you send a message, "Drop your cargo!" Or, v,g,s,s "Shazbot!" as they warp away with 10% health.

I think pirates have it especially rough because by the time they type something simple the target's frameshift drive is 90% charged.

Jan 26, 2015, 17:27
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 26, 2015, 17:27
Jan 26, 2015, 17:27

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 17:13:
Thanks Vall, saved me a ton of wasted time! Make Exploration a little faster and better money (in theory). They still need to make Exploration a bit closer to trading, the gap is very wide right now.

I agree.

This game would be so much more fun if combat zone vouchers were $6k instead of $3k (or had some sort of mission to pay out $100k when you kill 10), exploration data value increased by 500%, and bounty hunting increased by 250%.

Jan 26, 2015, 16:54
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 26, 2015, 16:54
Jan 26, 2015, 16:54

Nope, afaik there's no bonus for doing an entire system. Payout is based on each object you scan.

http://lavewiki.com/exploration -- there's a handy chart of what's worth what.

If you look at a system with 50 icy or rocky planets, move along. The exploration rank is based on the amount of money made from selling your data. It's like trading grain when you could be trading gold.

Systems with lots of stars are good because you can scan from much farther away.

Jan 26, 2015, 16:47
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 26, 2015, 16:47
Jan 26, 2015, 16:47

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:08:
I still don't know how to talk to other players
Solo player problems lol

Press 'c'. A pop-up will, um, pop up next to the comms screen with a list of players. Use your hat switch to cycle to the one you want, then click and do "text chat". Then type into the field beneath the comm panel. You could also do "voice chat" but I've never tried it before.

It's very...1995. Outright horrifying to modern day MMO players. Usually, by the time I respond they've warped away.

Jan 26, 2015, 13:05
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 26, 2015, 13:05
Jan 26, 2015, 13:05

Fixed lasers won't converge on the wingtips.

I love the turreted lasers, I was doing some bounty hunting last night and found if I keep a target around 300m to less than 1km, they will constantly hit the target. If I get really close, the lasers stop working.

I haven't tried the gimbal version, but I would imagine you need to keep even farther away.

I fight with this ship now and again. I'll swap out some cargo space for a 3A shield bank. This ship can mop up in extraction zones. The shield can take a few hits, then the shield bank restores it. I fought for a couple hours last night without taking any hull damage.

I like the kill warrant scanner, sometimes I'm in anarchy space.

I also noticed I get two responses in super cruise from players. One is, "Whoa! Nice ship! Have a great day!". Two, interdiction, "Drop your cargo." Now I made a third option where I target any player I see and start charging at them. So far, they've all warped away, but their intentions are clearer much more quickly.

Jan 25, 2015, 15:25
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 25, 2015, 15:25
Jan 25, 2015, 15:25

I made it back to (the edge of) civilization!

All in all, it was about a four hour journey. I scanned over 60 systems, found a system with 3 black holes and a giant water world, as well as some great mining sites. I sold all of my exploration data for $532k. I jumped up from exploration rank "Surveyor" to "Trailblazer". It was about an 800 ly round trip. I started at Founders World and went out to Coalsack.

I cut it into two play sessions. After starting to head back home, I really needed to to something else.

I picked it up this morning and that's when I found the black hole system. I changed the map style to "realistic" and noticed a really strange looking system. It was larger than the others, but had a weird faded look to it. Inside I found a huge star with a black hole next to it. Sadly, black holes are invisible except for an indicator. You also have to fly really close, less than 5 ls, to scan them. No damage or anything. I wonder what would happen if you dropped out of supercruise at one...

In the same system I noticed a lot of volcanic, high metal type planets. These are great to scan, along with the black holes. Scanning rocky and icy planets is a complete waste of time. With the advanced scanner, it'll draw the icon of each planet, so you can get an idea if it's worth scanning.

Took me awhile to figure this out...I probably wasted a good hour scanning useless planets.

The highest reward for a single system was $112k. Definitely not very lucrative, but it was a fun diversion. There's also a weird, unsettling feel about being so far out that I hadn't experienced in the game before.

Here's some random images from the trip (I shared them through Drive, let me know if they don't work):

Exploration Pics

Jan 25, 2015, 14:02
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 25, 2015, 14:02
Jan 25, 2015, 14:02

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 07:09:
The ship builder says 31.4 with the A thrusters?

Ah okay. I was looking at the system map wrong. On the tab where you can adjust the slider for how cargo affects your jump range...

It's set to 0 cargo, but says 29.19 {31.19}. I guess the 31.19 is correct. It's slightly off because I apparently added a chaff launcher and kill warrant scanner. I didn't think that one through...

Still very cool to have a fully combat capable Asp get over 30ly.

As for the cargo, it's empty...which counts for nothing towards weight. I ran out of stuff to load up on the internals and figured having some cargo space is good. Maybe pirates will drop gold or something.

Jan 25, 2015, 13:33
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 25, 2015, 13:33
Jan 25, 2015, 13:33

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 12:54:
Trying out this exploration thing.

Yay! Made my first 10+ Million and treated myself to an ASP

It's not as pimped as Vall's, but I'll start to explore and save up for an 5A FSD so I can do 25+ LY jumps. Got the Advanced Discovery Scanner and Detailed Surface Scanner. Have to get off the 11 Jump Trade Crack for a bit

Leaving the Solo Orbiter today and heading... somewhere...

Game is incredible, can't wait to do some exploring

Congrats! The Asp is a very fun ship to do...everything in.

Jan 25, 2015, 13:29
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 25, 2015, 13:29
Jan 25, 2015, 13:29

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 09:05:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 19:08:
I've got 232t of cargo space, so bulk trading is easier for me.

I just bought an Asp and outfitted it to explore. I've got a viper to fight, asp to explore, and clipper to trade. That should keep me occupied while I slowly build up money for the python.
So, you run the Clipper without shields. I take it you do that in Solo?

I only play in Open.

I downgraded to 4A shields.

Edit:
This is my clipper setup. Trading Clipper

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2015, 13:38.

Jan 24, 2015, 23:51
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 24, 2015, 23:51
Jan 24, 2015, 23:51

31.4 29.19 ly. I originally planned for D grade thrusters, but ended up getting A. So far I haven't had any jump issues. I hear on the outer rim you need at least 30 ly.

I have six guns, too. I meant to use that while in system, then change up before I left into 'deep space'. Oops. I missed that.

Edit:

Yay! I'm there. Warping into the "dark zone". Maybe I'll get some cool screenshots.

Also, my B5 fuel scoop collects 494 units/second. So awesome. I think a total refill from empty (the Asp has a huge fuel tank) takes ~1 minute.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2015, 00:55.
786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 27.
Newer [  1    22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37    40  ] Older