Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

1042. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 21, 2015, 22:59 Vall Forran

Woot! I got the entrepreneur trading rank. Finally...only took $134m of trading.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1039. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 20, 2015, 23:48 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 22:38:
Vall Forran wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 13:09:
This is kind of cool. There's a data dump with people who the first to discover objects in the game. It's a few weeks old, so Tooch is probably half-way up the list by now.

And I'm not completely sure what the 'tag' is based on. I think it might just be from using a discovering scanner without actually scanning them. I just can't imagine actually scanning 96,000 objects.

http://dump.bass-speaker.com/chart.php
The page says it's static data provided by FD and unlikely to be updated. That is really too bad, even a once a month update would be really cool.

Pardon my bad grammar in the previous post. :\

I totally agree, it would be awesome to have some sort of update on who the top explorers are. I was, honestly, shocked to be on the list. Though 78 is a long way from 98,000.

Until they start giving exploration real rewards, this kind of stuff seems like a must.

Edit:

I really think discovering new worlds should net you about $1million credits...instead of $1,000. The monetary system seems...off.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2015, 00:04.

1038. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 20, 2015, 22:54 Vall Forran

I bought my Asp. I'm working on upgrading it. This is gonna be fun.

I'm going for four railguns and two cannons, I think. Just need more money to pimp the ship out. Funny how the Asp only costs six million, but fully upgraded is about fifty million.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2015, 00:02.

1036. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 20, 2015, 17:11 Vall Forran

Exactly why that unit is useless. Even if you do take damage, it's still not worth the internal slot imo.  

1033. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 19, 2015, 23:25 Vall Forran

Holy crap! Make it back safe dude!  

1031. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 19, 2015, 19:54 Vall Forran

Hmm. You can actually equip an Asp with a class 6 shield generator. The 'A' version costs $16m, but holy hell, I would imagine people attacking reporting you for exploits.

Pythons use that shield.

1030. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 19, 2015, 12:51 Vall Forran

Yeah, the viper is fun to fly, very annoying to fly against.

When I fight an Anaconda, I always target the power plant. It's much easier to blow up than doing straight 100% hull damage.

1028. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 19, 2015, 01:21 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 20:02:
Vall Forran wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 19:35:
Eleven charges?! I don't think that exists anymore.
Looking the wiki it seems you are correct. Too bad, that was quite the win. I'll miss it when I rebuild a battle ready Cobra.

This is why I think small ships are going to have a much harder time dealing with large ships. I think this is a good move by frontier. It's stupid that a viper can outpace an Anaconda with shield cells. IMO, the viper should die in five seconds.

1027. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 20:40 Vall Forran

Looking at the wings update... That shit seems super fun! I love the idea of USS signals that take a squad. And there's no commander ( ), but I can't wait for this. Sounds like so much goodness. Honestly, as a commander, I'd say, "Bitches, stay out of my targeting area."  

1026. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 20:32 Vall Forran

I fought a few players using shield cells... I had a bigger ship, so this is probably not relevant to you guys. I fucking shot their shields down, then grunted as they activated their shield cell. A few seconds later it was down again. Then they freaked out and tried to run. Boom, you dead fool. Mind you, this was someone interdicting ME. A python using shield cells would be absolutely TERRIFYING!  

1024. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 19:35 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 16:06:
Yeah, I tried the Viper first but was annoyed by the power issue, switched to a Cobra. Which I was able to get a shield bank with 11 charges for -- which was a good thing for me.

Eleven charges?! I don't think that exists anymore. I guess you can equip more than one shield bank, but the new update creates a fairly long cooldown along with a huge heat increase (and a HUGE power drain). Granted, I'm space trucking (ie not using shield cells), so feel free to call me out, but it seems that multiple shield cells are not viable anymore.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2015, 19:53.

1023. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 19:24 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 15:23:
I will have to buy a Cobra and play around with the outfitting, I am a bit short on cash atm though so a bit more grinding required.
I only have 1.5 mill plus my Asp

A fully kitted viper is about $3m. Cobra will be about $9m.

1022. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 18:27 Vall Forran

I think I'm going to make a combat Asp with four railguns and two missile launchers. Just because.  

1021. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 17:36 Vall Forran

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 15:19:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 14:44:
Vall Forran wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 14:30:
I'd definitely advise dropping out of super cruise in a nowhere section of space and testing it out.
or just outside the station so you can dock and make adjustments if needed

I gave it a quick test at the Nav Beacon and it did say "Power Limit Exceeded, Modules Disabled" when I deploy the Hard points but it only seems to shut the Cargo Hatch down and I can fight OK, so I guess I should be good to go...

Yup, that sounds about right. It's fairly terrifying, but if you have your priorities set right, it's totally fine.

AFAIK, the viper is the only ship with power problems. I was messing around the edshipyard trying to fuck up a ship's power...the only one that went into the 'red' was an Asp with 4 railguns.

Edit:

Would be cool if they had an arena match mode. I'm pretty sure a viper vs cobra with equal pilot skill...the viper should win every time. Cobra just has too many easily exposed subsystems.

1015. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 14:30 Vall Forran

The way I set mine up was...

Cargo hatch is always off...this saves you 5% right off the bat.

I set the fuel scoop and interdictor to priority 4. I set the warrant scanner to priority 3.

When I deploy weapons, usually those 3 things automatically turn off. If I switch to a firegroup with only the warrant scanner loaded, it will reactivate.

With the shield cell rebalance, it might not even be possible for the viper to use railguns anymore. I have to test that out.

In fact, shield cells might not even be worth it anymore. Will be interesting to see if it's too big a headache.

The first time I pimped out my viper, I didn't know anything about power management. I interdicted an Asp, deployed weapons, then.......brrrrrrrrrr, everything shut down. It was embarrassing. :\
I'd definitely advise dropping out of super cruise in a nowhere section of space and testing it out.

1013. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 12:52 Vall Forran

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 12:06:
Hey guys, can you take a quick look at my Viper load out and let me know if it can be improved upon?

CMDR Tooch's Viper

Looks pretty good to me. I might suggest getting a 2B shield cell bank instead of the 2D. You get 5 charges with the B, only 3 with a D. Weirdly, the A class one gets 4. No one knows if the rating actually improves the amount of charge...so far no one has noticed.

The 3C warrant scanner is the one I usually get. Has 3km scan range, which gives you much more leeway to scan fast vipers and cobras. Anything above that is probably unnecessary.

I've never really tried fixed multi-cannons. If I do a fixed weapon it's either pulse lasers or railguns. I'm not a huge fan of burst lasers. I tried them out a few times, but I tend to go either highest class gimballed beam for massive shield damage or fixed pulse for constant sniping damage.

Here's my setup (I haven't flown my viper in awhile...I might tweak it):
Viiiiper

1007. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 19:46 Vall Forran

I take it back about Yembo. Seems the community goal finished. And the participants were rewarded with jack shit...allied rep for that wayward zone. Yay? Sounds like bullshit to me. It's like getting allied with a pacific island. How does that even matter?

Edit: Grammar.

1006. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 19:31 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 18:41:
I don't think there is in game voice comm at the moment is there?
Oh and I am fine with you "commanding"

I think there actually is. I've never used it though. Honestly, I was thinking more of a teamspeak/vent/mumble situation.

1004. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 18:36 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 12:50:
By warship you mean something like a Cobra/Viper armed to the teeth
I think those ships have much better cost/damage output ratios than an Asp or Python
The Asp repair bills are no fun

Maybe. But I like the idea of having a big heavy hitter surrounded by smaller ships. I'm saving for an Anaconda (lofty goal, probably not gonna happen), but I might get a Clipper or a Python. I made $20m last night. I just have to hope I don't wear out my trade route, this shit is getting ridiculous to find.

You guys have no idea how strong class 3 weapons are... And you know you want them on your side.

Edit:

Also, if we do get a wing formed, I'd love a crack at commanding. Would be fun to all be on voice. I could take the brunt of the attack, while destroying shields, then order everyone to target the power plant of asshole1. Boooooom!

1003. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 13:24 Vall Forran

I have a viper. That reminds me, I should take a look at it. It was already having power issues, I had to set it to turn off power to the cargo hatch, fuel scoop, and several other systems. Now with the shield cell nerf, I'm probably way over the limit again.  

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >