Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

1177. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 30, 2016, 19:32 Vall Forran

I just gotta say, this game is amazing. It's a straight up sim, so if you get bored take a break for a couple months. Then come back.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1176. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 29, 2016, 18:45 Vall Forran

It will definitely save space... I talked to a guy who plays with a mouse/keyboard. I don't even know how that works. You'd have to pry my HOTAS out of my cold, dead hands. It adds so much immersion to the game and I'd rather not relearn any controls.

With an oculus, I'm learning how to play blind, so I've been slowly mapping all the commands I need to the flight stick. I've found using the galaxy map in VR is almost impossible. I don't know why that's the one area in the game where it won't use your headlook as the cursor.

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Announcement

12. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Announcement Aug 29, 2016, 03:42 Vall Forran

Ventura wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 20:38:
Rigs wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 20:24:
Dammit, the JJ-version... *sigh*

Kinda what I was thinking too. Give me classic Trek any day of the week.

That said, as a Trek fan from way back (and someone who also got into VR, having bought two Oculus DK2's), I pretty much *have* to buy this game when it comes out.

Give me a call, I'll fly with 'ya.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 22:34 Vall Forran

So many new games to play. I'm getting RimWorld when I get home. I loved Dwarf Fortress, but I think I'm too long removed to get back into it again.

Deus Ex was a slow start, but has picked up and is awesome. Elite: Dangerous is still the hardest survival sim I know of (haha!) and I'm happily clunking about.

Eve: Valkyrie...I wish had more to it. That's the only oculus game that makes me sick. You circle strafe each other until one quits to puke. Elite sort of touches on that, but combat is much more open, and with the ability to go newtonian, you can break those stupid flight loops.

1174. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 28, 2016, 22:12 Vall Forran

When you drive a scarab, think Nasa on Mars going 3 kph. Drag racing will blow you up right quick.  

1173. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 28, 2016, 22:08 Vall Forran

I just spent 30 hours playing over the weekend. Yeah, a lot changed. First off, you fucking die ALL the god damn time. The npc AI are outright bastards now.

Message me if you need help, I just figured out how to get Engineers going. I think you stopped even before the Galactic Powers released.

Short answer, buy a planetary landing module. They can fit into a class 2 slot. Once you get that, you buy the scarabs (rover) like ammunition. If you die while in one, you just warp back to your ship, so it's not a total pain in the ass.

Engineers require you to play pretty much all aspects of the game. You search signals and salvage parts (stay the fuck away from threat level 4...I found 0 works great for me, much less dying). Use the scarab to mine on planet surfaces for crafting materials. Do missions for special materials you see when they pop up. Finally, certain mats need to be bought from certain stations (mine intro one for Farseer was 400ly away).

It's a huge pain in the ass, but as far as SPACE SIM goes, this is perfect. I also just started replaying it again after a 6 month hiatus. Flying an Asp too, as it has a far jump and only $1 mill insurance.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 21:49 Vall Forran

I tend to agree with the "why more fighters question?" Russia and China are bypassing jets and focusing on missiles that cannot be detected. I read an article where US admirals have laughed it off because the range of the missiles isn't very far.

Our existing fighters can wreck the shit out of Afghanistan. I don't really see the USA having sorties with other first world tech countries.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 21:38 Vall Forran

This thread needs more talking about RimWorld.

I am tempted to try a refund for NMS though. I played 5 hours in two days, but most of that was setting up graphics options, then crashing because alt-tab was broken. I haven't played it since.

Too bad it's not Oculus compatible, that'd be at least good enough for my kids to play.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 17:29 Vall Forran

So RimWorld is basically Dwarf Fortress in space? Color me interested.

News Comments > Master of Orion Launched

2. Re: Master of Orion Launched Aug 25, 2016, 22:55 Vall Forran

Is it good? I'm curious. I've heard weird design decisions have been made that made the game not fun.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown

19. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 22:53 Vall Forran

ItBurn wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 21:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 21:35:
I will not be polluting my body with this devils lettuce. A perfect 5 out of 7. Thanks Sapharo!

I don't get the 5/7 thing... Maybe we have a different sense of humor...

I think you're trying too hard. I'm laughing out loud right now.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown

13. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 21:10 Vall Forran

I remember taking a lunch break in Vancouver and going to the little international mall. Was just walking around and I found the studio that made the game. Nice looking studio...but it's in a mall.  

1170. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 24, 2016, 23:18 Vall Forran

I just got my Oculus Rift today. I'm am so lighting this game up tonight after work!  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched

55. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 23:15 Vall Forran

The game crashed once, but it was probably my fault from alt-tabbing constantly and running several other programs in the background. The auto-save put me in exactly the same spot, so no harm done.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the game? It's amazing.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released

62. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 24, 2016, 05:32 Vall Forran

So far this game is very slick. Me likey. There's no crosshair, so I miss half the time. I was mad at first, now it's part of the game and being awesome to stun someone from 10 ft away on the first try!

Edit: Not really any cut scenes. There's a 12 min intro one the game warns you about (which I promptly skipped, as I beat the previous one 6 times). Otherwise, they kind of just throw you right in.

61. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 24, 2016, 05:29 Vall Forran

Also, that Rush Limbaugh douche is still there, BUT you can turn off the radio. You're welcome.  

59. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 24, 2016, 05:06 Vall Forran

running gtx1070.

Ultra settings. MXAA is off by default (turning it on is bad...) I have the post process stuff and the hard-contact-shadow things on to max.

At 1440p I get 45-70fps. I tried turning MXAA to 8x and it shot down to 12fps.

Game has been very stable for me. This is a new comp, so maybe I'm an outlier, but just throwing this out there if anyone is wondering if a 1070 is gimped for some reason.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation

102. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 22:38 Vall Forran

Trump stole all his hot air.  

55. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 23, 2016, 21:57 Vall Forran

Ha! I was gonna fire it up for 15 mins before I left for work, then decided that it would probably take 25 mins of cutscenes before I get to actually play. I decided to go to work on time for a change.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details

24. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 23, 2016, 06:43 Vall Forran

1badmf wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 03:57:
yeah i thought it was supposed to unlock at 9PM tonight =( even ditched work.

Aww, that sucks. I had checked steam before, so I knew what was up...I was just hoping that something would magically happen at 12am.

Goddamn French Canadians.

Edit: Also, it's super irritating being in New Zealand. It's gonna be Wednesday for me. First world Hobbit problems.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >