Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

1083. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 27, 2015, 15:22 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:19:
The new HUD looks pretty sweet!
Also finally we'll have external camera. It's about time.

That's exciting! I always found it weird you can buy paint jobs, but you can only see part of your ship in the outfitting bay.

I wonder how they "disabled" use of the camera in combat. Maybe they lock out your flight controls while you're using it? Or maybe simpler, just disable it if you have hardpoints deployed.

The added wing stuff looks cool, too! It's finally got the basic chat commands of a 1995 MMO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1079. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 19:16 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:06:
How do I check the target station? I mean, I know how to find it in the System/Galaxy map, how do I tell what type of station it is?

One thing the galaxy map does well is that you can type in a station name. It will move your focus to whatever system it's in.

In the system view, if the station has a circle or hexagon icon (ie a coriolis or orbit shape) it's a large station. If it has the shape of the kludged three piece station, it's medium.

Does that make sense? It's really easy to tell, but hard to explain. :\

Edit:
I'm at work now, but when I get home I can take a screen shot and show you what I'm talking about. Essentially...you know the icon that comes up when you land? That's the station identifier. That icon is the same on the system map.

Edit2:
Easier way...if there is a mailslot in the icon, it's a large station.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2015, 19:34.

1078. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 19:13 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:41:
Which reminds me, back to the looking for pirates thing. It is quite annoying my sensors can't tell the difference between a single cargo canister and a convoy of six "clean" ships...

I guess you can upgrade your sensors. In fact, I'm gonna do that. The resource extraction zones are annoying. I see the blinking triangles, then get there and they are ejected low value cargo.

1076. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 19:06 Vall Forran

OH man. About 200 posts ago (maybe more) I raged about this. I clicked accept for a mission to deliver some good for $160k. Turned out it was to a small dock station, so I had to abandon the mission, dump the goods, then pay a huge fine.

I check the target station now to make sure. Though, at this point, I don't really do missions anymore. But, jesus, that was so annoying.

1074. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 17:25 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 15:37:
Okay, two things:

1) Really wanted your guys spin on this:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 20:54:
Okay, this is one of the things I really dislike about this game. Picked up a "Kill 4 pirates" mission. Went to the system, spent over 2 hours cruising around with 1,000 ls of the primary star -- no pirates.
2) Vall, how do you find your large quantity trade deals? Do you do screen captures at two hubs and compare the various prices or what?

As to #1...I don't do the pirate missions anymore. I usually have no problem finding them at USS points, but I always hit one where a guy gives me an "alternate" objective, and (it's a bug) that wipes out my kills from the list.

#2...I kind of cheat. I use Thrudd's trading tool to kind of search my area for good trades. It's hit or miss, but the economy has more or less stabalized. The issue is that the highly touted trade routes dry up through player farming. You need to find one that's not as populated.

Then I explore a bit around (it's why I bought an Asp again) to see if I can find something better. Large craft trades are really fucking hard to find. Here's what I've learned...(this may get long)

Galaxy map. Boom. Set it to filter out population under 1 billion people. This removes all the small stations that you can't land in. Any system with that pop count should have at least one large station.

Now, change your filters to show by economy types. Search out Agriculture-Refinery/Extraction first. Most ref/ext only systems are tiny and will get culled by the earlier pop cap. There are hybrid systems...and they are all usually Agriculture/Refinery or such. Even Hi-Tech can hybrid with extraction or refinery. If you are having trouble finding them, turn on Ag and Hi-Tech on you economy filter list.

After that, search for a nearby hi-tech station. Once you find the two that are close together, test out that route. It's highly annoying, but that's the best way to find new trade routes. The main commodities you want to trade are gold/palladium from a refinery to a hi-tech station where you return res. separators, performance enhancers, the life pills, or superconductors. It's a lot of work, but the "fun" thing is that you can fly around in a fighter ship and do some exploration/combat. Once you find a trade route, then move your heavy loader out there.

I wish the system map had more accurate distances of stations relative to the main star. So many times I go in and find the station (which seemed perfect from my earlier measurements) is freaking 3,000ls away.

Edit:
If you are in a medium ship, trading is way easier. Most of the small docking stations will sell gold/palladium for super cheap. The large ships have been balanced against this. They make less per ton, but the quantity makes up for it.

I timed my route the other day. I took 16 minutes for a round trip. $1.1k per ton one way, $1.2 the other. After fuel costs, I made about $1 million. The t9 is such a fucking boring thing to fly, so after one or two trade runs, I have to go do something else. I'm slowly working my way to the Anaconda though. I think I need about $15 million more.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2015, 17:33.

1069. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 13:59 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 07:59:
Vall, link your current T-9 and Clipper setups please. (mainly interested in the Clipper, but while you are at it... :D)

Clipper This is a trading clipper... if I get bored and want to fight, I put in a higher class shield generator and load in a shield cell battery.

Type 9 This is super trade mode. My shields are super weak, but I'm in an out of the way area of empire space, so I haven't had too many issues (unless you count dumb npc eagles).

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2015, 14:08.

1066. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 01:31 Vall Forran

Lol, I got interdicted by an eagle. My turret lasers shot his shields off. Then, for fun, I launched a torpedo at him. He died instantly. 100% to zero. Cost me $15k to reload. Kind of worth it, though.

Sorry, for context, I'm in a t9.

1065. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 01:21 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 21:23:
Vall Forran wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 18:12:
And doesn't the t6 count as a 'small' ship? Makes sense it would be more maneuverable.
Type-6 is a medium ship, Clipper is large.

Ah, my bad. I don't remember the t6 much. I do know the Clipper can carry twice the amount of cargo though. I actually find the turreted weapons fun. Set the turrets to 'target only' in your right screen panel so they don't shoot undesired targets. With the new friendly fire updates, you won't instantly anger the entire field if you catch some idiot npc with a laser as they fly right in front of you.

And those class 3 lasers just completely OWN everyone's shields. Followed with cannons or multicannons... good times.

1064. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 26, 2015, 00:24 Vall Forran

I'm running a trade route between Angurongo and Rishair. Super profitable. It's also fun because Rishair is in civil war as of a few days ago, so there's a high intensity combat zone there. It's a bit out of the way, but not really too far. I keep thinking I'm way out farther than I actually am. Perfect place for a clipper to own up.  

1063. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 25, 2015, 22:52 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 21:55:
*ugh* Well, my Grade D shields were probably partly to blame but I was almost killed by a NPC Python -- over 600k in repairs. Seems like turreted weapons might be a necessity.

Sorry you're having a rough go. I'm pretty sure the difficulty of pythons and anacondas were massively increased in the last patch. My combat asp got absolutely owned on a kill mission against an anaconda. I limped away with 20% hull.

It is a good ship, I swear.

1059. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 25, 2015, 18:12 Vall Forran

It is goddamn FAST though. Think strafing runs rather than x-wing agility. It is one of the faster ships in the game. And again...TURRET CLASS 3 WEAPONS! If it takes you a couple extra seconds to get your enemy in your sights, the turrets will be constantly hitting him.

And doesn't the t6 count as a 'small' ship? Makes sense it would be more maneuverable.

I had no issues fighting in it. Granted, I never went out of my way to pick a fight. Well, I did do some combat zones with no issues. I must say the turrets do a great job destroying shields. Then I line up, if they aren't dead already, and absolutely destroy them with a blast of class 2 cannons.

Adjust your strategy. This ship is awesome. Learn its strengths.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 18:20.

1057. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 25, 2015, 17:54 Vall Forran

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the fuel tank. Unless you are on a set trading route, you absolutely need a fuel scoop.

And, welcome to the big boys. Hull damage is insanely expensive. Sounds like it was more from the star. An eagle should die within five seconds to a Clipper. I like heat sinks for when that happens. They are super cheap and the refills cost all of 30c or something dumb.

Pig? Hmm. To me it flies like a viper. Goes very fast in a straight line. If you expect to twist and turn like a cobra...no. Maybe once you upgrade your thrusters. Trust me, for a large ship it handles really, really well.

1055. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 25, 2015, 17:28 Vall Forran

Let me know if the gimbaled lasers work. I used turreted ones, which turned out to be awesome. Expensive, but they can shoot enemies behind you.

Edit:

I've heard on the forums both stories... Gimbaled lasers don't converge properly. Aaaand....gimbaled lasers work fine. Just looking for a firsthand experience.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 17:38.

1054. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 25, 2015, 16:58 Vall Forran

Awesome! When I got my Clipper, I had the feeling like I just "won" the game. And large ships are sooo much easier to dock. Basically, you just need to be over the pad. Haha.

Edit:

Here's my trading Clipper setup. The lower class shield can be shot down easily against a serious ship, hence the shield banks. The Clipper is quite fast and should have no trouble jumping away. If you are in solo or in a more isolated area in open, it should be no problem. If you hanging around Lave or someplace hot, keep the higher level shields.

Trading Clipper

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 17:48.

1052. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 25, 2015, 12:49 Vall Forran

True, but you don't need the class A thrusters or powerplant right away. In fact, I don't think I ever got the class A thrusters. Unlike most ships, the default Clipper is pretty good.  

1050. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 24, 2015, 23:08 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 09:30:
Made it back to populated space..

Distance traveled: 12,000 ly +
Repairs: 2,261 (and most of that probably came from an NPC that interdicted me four systems from the end of the run)
Total systems sold to Cartographics: 503
Largest system sale: 37,200
Average for all systems: 7,240
Total sale: 3,641,779
Explorer rank went from Trailblazer to Pathfinder
The way First Discoveries are given/listed was not conducive to counting. In my estimation it was more than 100, possibly more than 200, but I wouldn't think much more than that.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. I'd like to try a Python or some other ships but I'll be damned if I feel like grinding for the cash to buy them. I think I may take a break from the game for a while.

You, sir, need a Clipper! $23m, not too bad. Great ship for trading and can also tear stuff up. It also has the best interior and viewport in the game (haven't flown an Orca yet, though). I totally miss mine, and I'll buy it back eventually.

If you don't have the empire rank, it's really simple to get. And the missions range from simple fetch quests to a few assassination jobs. I wish there were more of that type of stuff in the current game. All the components are there, but there's no story to make you *want* to do any of it if you are say, grinding for your next ship.

1049. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 24, 2015, 00:23 Vall Forran

Goddammit. Thanks for the earwig.

I'm trying to play Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm so used to track-ir that I keep fucking trying to twist my head to look at stuff...then wonder for a few seconds what's wrong with the game.

I must look like a proper idiot in real life.

1048. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 23, 2015, 23:45 Vall Forran

True. In beta, once I got the Anaconda, I stopped playing the game. There was nothing to do. I had no desire to go fight other people...even though that's the point of getting that ship.

I have a feeling this would be the same. I do like the idea that the Anaconda can explore as well as fight and trade. It would be fun to not have to keep grinding so much. Fuck. I've been grinding in this game since July of last year.

Edit:
And, to be clear, the Anaconda during that time was only $3m or so.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2015, 00:09.

1045. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 23, 2015, 19:24 Vall Forran

Okay. I'm trying to grind for an Anaconda. That means selling my t9 for one. So I need about $50 million more dollars. The game is losing its mojo. The grind necessary is crazy.

I've become an addict. My wife was like, "That game must be fun, you've played it for six hours straight." In my mind, "sort of. Not really. I have to do another 120 trade runs to get my Anaconda."

...and I didn't really do anything. I pondered buying an Asp. Bought one, spent an hour outfitting it. The tried exploring before I got bored. Then I spend three hours trying to find a trade route for my t9 that was within 10ly. No luck and many hours spent. I chased one of the $150k kill missions, found the guy, and that Anaconda shot my ass off. Ran away and repaired for $130k. Hmm. Not worth it. I was well equipped, too.

1044. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 22, 2015, 13:33 Vall Forran

Nice! I'd need a break after that long a trip.  

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >