Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

1133. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 12, 2015, 14:25 Vall Forran

Crazy! They released a new patch that cut the prices of the Vulture (now $5m) and Fer de Lance (now $52m). They also increased the money earned from bounty hunting and selling exploration data.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1132. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 12, 2015, 13:42 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 06:45:
Hey thanks for the heads up Vall.
So I guess fuel scooping is a much better option than buying it

No! Quite the opposite now. Seems the only reason to fuel scoop is if you are going on an exploration run. I don't think fuel costs will ever approach the cost of a fuel scoop anymore.

1130. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 12, 2015, 01:10 Vall Forran

Funny story. Usually, I pay $28k for fuel each way on a ~30ly two jump trade route. Now...it costs 228c. This happened four times in a row, so I don't think it's a bug. That is a gigantic change. I'm in an Anaconda, mind you.

I always wondered why fuel is so expensive, when you can literally just go scoop it. Seems FD made a concession to the grind. The t9 was depressing...I made $700k each way, but also paid $60k each way for fuel. Maybe the same reason that hull is cheap to fix now. People like Spectral Meat who don't ocd trade all day Now he can get his Asp and actually *play* with it. Funny concept.

1129. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 11, 2015, 18:26 Vall Forran

Played a little bit this morning. I noticed a few tweaks, nothing major or unusual. There's a few new sound effects for when you frameshift drive is recharged and sensor blips.

The debug camera is really fucking cool. I discovered that the Anaconda actually has a second bridge on the front of the nose.

The other kind of crazy cool thing is repair costs. They seem to be super cheap now. I haven't wrecked anythng yet, but from what I've heard, repair costs are really cheap. $100k asp repairs are now about $8k. This has had he resounding effect of ships staying to fight rather than frantically flee. Or, at least, leisurely flee if you're in a cargo boat.

1128. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 11, 2015, 03:30 Vall Forran

I'm around Igal right now. Sorry, I fell asleep as soon as I got home.

Edit:

I've got a pretty big jump range. Might be easier to figure out where we want to wreck stuff and meet there. I'm not sure how "relaxed" the waypoints are, but it sounds like everyone can jump to the same place from way farther out than normal.

1126. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 10, 2015, 18:57 Vall Forran

Hmm. So $102m for a Fer de Lance, and $22m for a vulture. I was thinking the vulture would be at least Asp price; it doesn't really seem any better.

And the FDL...that's just crazy. A python could nuke it seven times over, for half the cost (and twice the jump range).

I really hope they introduce some sort of "luxury" mission type later where you can earn tons of money but need an Orca or FDL. Otherwise, they are just giving ships to the 1% crowd of people with money to burn.

1125. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 10, 2015, 17:33 Vall Forran

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:21:
Elite:Dangerous 1.2 Wings Edition is OUT - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123871

I'll be on tomorrow night, hopefully can wing it up with some Blues peeps!

I'm down, if you can work with a pacific time slot. I don't get home from work until 7 or 8pm (10 or 11pm eastern). Otherwise, Sunday afternoon would be the only time I'm available. (stupid avengers movie stealing my Saturdays)

In the meantime, I'm going to carefully fly around and try to not melt myself. Heat damage is the new black. They rebalanced it...over 60% you start taking subsystem damage. Not until 160% do you take hull damage, but it seems everyone has been rather shocked how fast they are wrecking their ships (if they are unaware).

1123. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 10, 2015, 14:10 Vall Forran

I imagine that would work out quite nicely. I don't have the desk space, so I end up putting the keyboard on my lap with the joysticks on the table. This device could fit between them easily, and is probably easy to familiarize yourself with once we get our hands on an Oculus.  

1119. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 10, 2015, 13:03 Vall Forran

That looks pretty cool! I would buy it except that I just broke my bank on a new computer...

I'm trying to think what I use my keyboard in game for. Most everything is mapped to my joystick buttons. I guess there's 'c' for chat and the keybindings for shadowplay.

News Comments > Star Citizen Videos

66. Re: Star Citizen Videos Mar 9, 2015, 17:58 Vall Forran

These threads are like bathing in pure liquid contempt. I wish Roberts and Co would just go dark then come out with a playable module that isn't in a small invisible walled map.  

1115. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 8, 2015, 03:26 Vall Forran

Thanks, I ended up going with an i-7 four core proc...saved me several hundred dollars. I haven't built a computer in a long time, I'm proud nothing blew up.  

1113. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 6, 2015, 17:33 Vall Forran

So...maybe not on topic, but I want to build a new computer.
I think I'm gonna get the nvidia gtx980 card, but I'm unsure as to the cpu. This one came up...um, any thoughts? I want to build a machine that will eat things for three years at least.

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3

1112. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 6, 2015, 17:29 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:32:
Looked at upgrading my Shields on the Clipper -- saw the price and said to hell with that. Sold it bought a decked out Corba. I'm a little short of having enough to get a reasonably equipped Type-7 and still have enough to cover insurance and trade capital. So, I'll probably get a Type-6 and do rares until I build up another $10M or so then go with the Type-7.

But first I think I'll take at least a few days break from the game... need it after recovering my "Friendly" status with the Feds. That failed pirate and shipping mission in the Clipper really killed it. Took a long time to get back to Friendly.

Wow. You're selling the Clipper to grind to a t7? That doesn't make sense to me. I had a t7 for about the time it took to grind a few million to get the Clipper. I can't think of a ship I hated more. Sounds like we are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

1109. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 6, 2015, 12:53 Vall Forran

I installed it, but only played it for a few minutes. I figured the new ships would be for sale at the station I was at, but nope. I went to several high tech stations but couldn't find them. So, I just went back to the main game.

Edit:
I did mess around with the debug camera a little bit. It's cool to finally see your ship from the outside. I think once it goes live, I'll take a little exploration tour.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 13:22.

1107. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 6, 2015, 02:46 Vall Forran

yuastnav wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 17:54:
Good to see that this place is still alive.
Unfortunately I don't even have access to a computer that can play Elite:Dangerous right now.

Maybe I'll be able to rejoin you guys someday.

We are patient. We play this game for eff's sake. (Starting the slow grind to $800 million credits)

I am so looking forward to the 1.2 release. The idea of playing with you fools is awesome! And by fools, I mean friends!

1105. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 5, 2015, 17:35 Vall Forran

Yeah, most HOTAS setups have a 'clutch' key. Mine is the pinky button on the main flight stick. I don't use it as such, in fact, I had to do some weird setups to turn it into a button; it's my "weapon firegroup" select.

Edit: comma / semicolon fix.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 02:06.

1098. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 5, 2015, 13:02 Vall Forran

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:05:
I'm contributing!

Is it only available to purchase from the official Elite Dangerous site? Because I can't find it anywhere else and it's priced in Euros which makes me wonder about any region-related license.

Also, is anyone out there playing with a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X combo? It's cheap and if ED is something I like (stop! ) , it's probably more than enough to suite my needs since I likely wouldn't want to play this game on keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, you can only buy it from the elite dangerous store website. Don't worry about the currency, it will convert to whatever you need. There's no region lock...once you buy it, you get an account that you can log into from anywhere.

I haven't used that particular joystick, but it's pretty popular on the forums, so people must like it. I use the Saitek x52 pro myself.

1090. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 5, 2015, 02:12 Vall Forran

Ya, definitely not an explorer ship. It's more territorial. But, man, you can seriously eff people up with that ship.

I feel bad that you don't like the Clipper. It's pretty much becoming the favorite of the current ships.

I guess I don't know what you want. The Asp is amazing. Pretty much the best ship in the game...and will be amplified in wings. Mark. My. Words. So many weapons. With another ship taking off the heat, Asps will be the fucking rogues of Elite. *Shank* dead.

I love the Python. A lot of people are pissed that it got nerfed. It cannot immediately turn on a dime. Oh noes! It is still the best combat ship in the game. It also has great trading potential. The hybrid works as well.

The higher level ships are awesome, but each have weird issues. The Anaconda is the perfect ship, but an A class rated one will cost about $800m. So...not gonna happen anytime soon.

1088. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 4, 2015, 20:54 Vall Forran

Oh come on! Just get a fuel scoop and you never have to worry about it. That ship is crazy fast...you don't trade in a Ferrari because it has bad gas mileage.

Anyway...I give you my new ship:

New Toy

The Type-9 fucking sucks. It's sooooo slow, has a terrible jump range and is pretty much defenseless.

This ship is an order of magnitude better on every level. It's not as fast as the Clipper, but it has a decent turn rate. I upped its cargo capacity so it's pretty much on par with a t9, but it has a much better jump range. Two jumps instead of four. And it's much more fun to fly. The only weird thing is that the cockpit is on top of the ship...to dock you have to almost scrape the ceiling...my first try through the mail slot I crashed into the wall. Took a few more attempts to figure it out.

1084. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 3, 2015, 21:15 Vall Forran

1.2 beta came out today. Here's a thread on the two new ships, the Fer de Lance and the Vulture. They look...interesting. The Fer de Lance looks like a cross between a python and viper. Crazy guns (Huge hardpoint!), but shit jump range. The Vulture has only two hardpoints, but they are both large. The ship itself looks about the size of a Cobra.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=120645

Edit:
There's screenshots of the load out abilities, etc. I forgot to mention that...

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >