Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns Seven

10. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 21:18 Vall Forran

Ant wrote on May 20, 2015, 20:50:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 20, 2015, 17:21:
People are still playing this?
Wow, already? I still haven't tried it even though I got this game for free. :/

Play the starter zone (levels 1-20). It's quite fun. After that...uninstall. Though after 7 years (!!!), I doubt the game holds up as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released

82. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 20, 2015, 17:49 Vall Forran

I built a new machine for this game. I am not dissapointed. Everything is set to Ultra. Hairworks is super cool. On the busiest frames I get about 45 fps.

I wouldn't know it, however, unless shadowplay was on. Feels buttery smooth.

I am using a weird hybrid style. I use the controller mostly, but the m/k for menus. It's a rare game where the UI is designed for pcs. I have noted that the controller gets some extra love in the menus to help it out. Nice touch CD Projeckt!

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns Seven

3. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 17:43 Vall Forran

Totally. I have never played a game with such a broken class before (Templar).

Healers were un-killable. Guys with horses stand on a bridge and kick you off for griefing kills. I'm amazed I played past the Tortuga, or whatever the begnning "fun" part of the game was called.

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3

46. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 21:33 Vall Forran

Also, though I haven't done it, if you don't import the game will ask you questions to help figure out what you did in the previous game. It's really well done.

So far, the only gripe I have with the game is that there's always a strong wind blowing the trees/foliage in a weird manner.

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3

44. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 21:31 Vall Forran

If you have the witcher2 installed, on creating a new game in tw3, it will bring up an import save option. Super easy.

The problem, is knowing which save to actually use...

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs

30. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 16, 2015, 01:19 Vall Forran

It's stereo. That means rendering everything twice. Explain to me how that's a thing a budget card can do?  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs

8. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 20:00 Vall Forran

I would imagine this scales very nicely with Elite, since that game isn't too taxing on your system.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule

77. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 20:50 Vall Forran

Quinn wrote on May 12, 2015, 18:23:
Zanthar wrote on May 12, 2015, 18:07:
Slashman wrote on May 12, 2015, 15:33:
I'm tottering on the edge of 'do I get it now' or 'do I wait'?

I'm waiting for at least a weeks worth of reviews and comments on the PC version before I get this. I'm so tired of getting burned with buggy releases.

Getting prejudiced has a certain level of sucking too, in my experience. There's something charming on jumping into a game with a blank slate of a mind. For example, I was loving the hell and heavens out of Risen 3 and imagined the internet going crazy with marvelous review scores but when I came back to the real world after hours of amazing awesomeness, most ppl were bitching incoherently. Another example is Shadows of Mordor. I was bored out of my wits 20 minutes in, yet the internet seemed to praise it.

I'll give TW3 an unprejudiced verdict of my own. Screw the net. If it burns me, I'll drink a few beers less next weekend if need be...

OOh! You like Risen 3? I was on the fence... Need...the...nudge...

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway?

46. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway? May 12, 2015, 17:28 Vall Forran

Quinn wrote on May 12, 2015, 07:19:
I try to think of any remarkable bugs in The Witcher 2 at release and I can't think of any. Like The Witcher 1, there lacked some storytelling context which was added later, but gameplay bugs? People keep mentioning them -- all the time -- but I feel like some of you just repeat other people's words for whine's sake.

I haven't seen any bugs either, and I've been replaying it in anticipation for w3. The only ones I've found are self-inflicted wounds where I quick save in a really, really terrible space. Luckily, there's an Autosave to remind me I'm a fucking idiot that spams quicksave too much.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule

68. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 17:24 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on May 12, 2015, 15:39:
Slashman wrote on May 12, 2015, 15:33:
I'm tottering on the edge of 'do I get it now' or 'do I wait'?
Waiting is always the best option.
There will always be deals to get this game, and by waiting you save yourself from the headache of launch day issues.
I got it for free with my video card but if I didn't, I'd just wait and see how the game is after it's out.
See the player feedback not the "gaming media" reviews.

In that vein, it's time for you to come back to Elite. There's a certain ship called a Vulture that will blow your mind.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer

6. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer May 7, 2015, 13:42 Vall Forran

I cannot wait!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 28, 2015, 19:18 Vall Forran

I will admit the new cargo ships look really cool. I just can't understand the pricing on it. Every fucking ship that comes out costs $50-$350+. I mean, when the game releases, is it gonna be like Elite to the tenth power in terms of grinding to buy a ship with in-game money? If not, how would all of the people that spent real money not feel completely cheated? Is instant gratification worth that much?  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month

45. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 25, 2015, 23:21 Vall Forran

Heh, so you're the splat I just made.  

37. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 25, 2015, 02:56 Vall Forran

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 02:31:
In a real space sim they should actually just disable mouse and keyboard as soon as you leave the main menu and the game engine starts loading. Fuck the casual n00bs who can't fly for shit!

^ zero sarcasm included by the way. Seriously. Fuck casual n00blets who want a Space Invaders action clickfest or Call of Duty in space instead of a sim.

HOTAS FTW! It's the only way. The only pure way for the enlightened ones. The way of the pros. My way...

I suddenly desire to play with a mouse/keyboard.

34. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 25, 2015, 00:35 Vall Forran

Mist wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 17:48:
Linthat22 wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:36:
I just hope Star Citizen doesn't follow the footsteps of ED in needing a HOTAS.
Actually the big argument on the SC forums is that mouse is overpowered.

Agreed. I can't get into the Star Citizen flight model because it is totally designed for mouse/keyboard. The joystick is really oversensitive and the UI is so cluttered, nothing makes sense.

Elite is perfect for a joystick. I hear mouse/keyboard sucks, but people can use it. Apparently, the xbox controller works well for people into that method. Seriously though...who the fuck complains that a hardcore space sim is more geared towards a joystick?

33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 24, 2015, 22:55 Vall Forran

The new update should be pretty sweet. You essentially can choose to declare a faction, and then there's open pvp against your enemies without the criminal penalties.

I took a break for a month and picked it back up this past week. There's a lot of improvement in the "world" events. For instance, there's a weird collection war. A senator (who will be one of the major faction leaders in the upcoming free expansion) wants to collect his debt from a system and they won't pay. So...he called out for mercenaries to fight for him. You go sign up at a certain station, then go to the combat zones. I've never seen so many commanders in one place before.

It's a bit over the top...there's about 15 commanders all murdering every npc. Eventually, someone misfires and becomes hostile to everyone. This game is surprisingly friendly, everyone lets the guy warp out and back in...anyone shooting at someone who stows their weapons to escape is berated by everyone.

It's annoying to get kills because the "kill shot" is what gets you the credit. Hard to be a vulture with two guns versus a python or anaconda with eight fucking guns. The solution? You can go solo and do the same quests without interference. That's why the whole "offline" thing was kaput. Makes total sense now. I'd argue that borks the balance a bit, but...the community is so divided between wanting the solo and open option, I don't see any other way to solve it.

Anyway, it's fun. You get vouchers for your kills, turn them in and look at your status. You get a reward for the tier you're in. Top 100%, 70%, 40%, 15%, 5%, and top commander overall. You get anywhere from $1 million + bonus to $6 mill + bonus for top 5%. Overall commander gets $10 mill + bonus, which is ridiculous, since the leader so far has made over 1 billion credits. Not sure what the bonus will be. The events last about 6 days, and there tend to be 2-3 going on in concert.

The game needs more content, but I feel they are starting to address the issues with their already sound base game.

Edit:

You can make about $500k every 15 minutes. Probably less in open unless you go in off hours. Unfortunately, the event kills do not count towards your combat rating, which is dumb. I think I'd have gained two ranks by now...

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2015, 00:31.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

1150. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Apr 24, 2015, 22:02 Vall Forran

I'm sure this thread is dead, but I've picked this back up. The community goals are actually pretty fun! The game has a bit of a Guild Wars 2 feel to it now...

Anyway, if anyone is still playing and wants to play around in a wing, hit me up.

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

24. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 18:39 Vall Forran

Erm, they are doing that cyberpunk game, no? That's quite different. And it brings the witcher team onto something like deus ex. Droooooooooooool...

Edit:

Sorry, didn't see the end part to your sentence about CP.

14. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 14:11 Vall Forran

Seventyfive wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:51:
Anyone know if the fighting system will be improved from Witcher 2? I thought Witcher 2 looked great but played like shit. Kind of wish they'd just copy something like Dark Souls if they want something slower or basically any other 3rd person game (Batman, AC, GOW, DMC, etc...) if they want something faster. The weird "my enemy is at 2 o'clock so i'm going to do an awkward 360 spin move that will get you killed strike" wasn't that appealing to me.

Funny you ask. Check out ign, they have an article about that very thing. The jist is that the combat is very similar to dark souls, just faster and a bit easier. They also say you really need to learn the enemy vulnerabilities to keep up with the game as the difficulty ramps up...

11. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 13:23 Vall Forran

Still over a month out... Boo!  

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >