Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 19:12 Vall Forran

It seems they've updated a lot of systems to make the game more money friendly. The mission system has been tweaked to actually give decent rewards. The community goals are still in and can give a crazy amount of money, though it's a bit grindy. I've found this to be the new best way to make money.

You can still make a ton of money trading, but it's no longer the end all. The new ships are quite cheap and give new players or pirates that don't make much money more options.

I haven't tried out the powerplay system yet, but it seems pretty cool and serves to bring the diluted player base together.

Oh, they added drones to assist with mining collecting. Also fuel drones if a friend runs out of gas, they can be saved now by friendly players.

It's still the same game, now with more layers.

They've polished the interface a lot, too. You can now access the galnet in your ship (before you had to be docked in a station). Also, my favorite tweak so far, there's actually progress bars under your Combat, Trading, Exploration ranks. No more guessing how much farther you need to go.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 18:49 Vall Forran

I don't have any idea what's going on as well. There were some bugged community goals a few weeks back. I see that somehow I got top 5% on both and got a $25m and $15m reward! I bought a diamondback explorer and flew out to collect. Sweet ship, it's like a smaller asp with an INSANE jump range.

I found this link to a pdf with a tutorial/instructions about powerplay. I'm going through that now. Here's the link:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147543

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 17:49 Vall Forran

Actually (and it just launched so this might not matter in a few hours), the federation lady that looks like the platinum haired girl from the Matrix is in the lead, followed by the other fed guy who looks like Bryan Cranston.  

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 17:18 Vall Forran

Nice! Had shelved this game waiting for the update. I want to test out mining as well as check out the new ships.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched

11. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 17:16 Vall Forran

descender wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 16:11:
Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative.

THIS is how you patch an exploit... lol

I wonder where people are missing money along the way, there seems to be people with tons of it or none at all. Maybe just selling to all the wrong vendors? I haven't had any troubles with cash.

I didn't know about that exploit, but that's brilliant (the fix, I mean). :O

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer

119. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 20:37 Vall Forran

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 19:37:
Not only did you not read my post properly (I wasn't the one complaining about graphics) but you don't know what you're talking about either.

You did amuse me, so points for that. The fuck off finish was weak though. Try harder.

Apologies. I took the general hatred of the thread and somehow applied it to you.

And, I kind of do know what I'm talking about. I guess my film vfx background conflicts with the video game cute idea of AO.

117. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 19:22 Vall Forran

Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 18:40:
Vall Forran wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 18:02:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 17:03:
Didn't some mod add ambient occlusion for Skyrim? I remember trying and then turning it off because it slowed things down enough to be annoying. My video card is kind of old though.

What I want out of Fallout 4 is:

Stuttering fix
64bit exe that can use maximum RAM available
Mod support, of course
FO:NV style "hard core" option

That about covers it. If there are a lot of graphic options I can't turn on or if my card just isn't good enough anymore I will totally upgrade it for Fallout 4. I'm going to wait and see how performance is first though.

I'm sorry, but ambient occlusion is fucking expensive. What you *perceive* as AO, is actually just baked into the textures. AO is pretty much the last thing you do with a finished environment, so (pre-alpha) fuck off with that noise.

That's incorrect. The actual AO technology does not need it to be baked into the textures. Old games "baked" it in, yes, by designers painting it in manually. I remember doing this in the Morrowind editor.

The AO tech, however, does that for the designer, which is why it's performance heavy and why it can be implemented by complex mods.

That is silly. You can "paint in" AO textures, but that is not ambient occlusion.

114. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 18:02 Vall Forran

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 17:03:
Didn't some mod add ambient occlusion for Skyrim? I remember trying and then turning it off because it slowed things down enough to be annoying. My video card is kind of old though.

What I want out of Fallout 4 is:

Stuttering fix
64bit exe that can use maximum RAM available
Mod support, of course
FO:NV style "hard core" option

That about covers it. If there are a lot of graphic options I can't turn on or if my card just isn't good enough anymore I will totally upgrade it for Fallout 4. I'm going to wait and see how performance is first though.

I'm sorry, but ambient occlusion is fucking expensive. What you *perceive* as AO, is actually just baked into the textures. AO is pretty much the last thing you do with a finished environment, so (pre-alpha) fuck off with that noise.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2015, 18:15.

83. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 20:40 Vall Forran

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:22:
shihonage wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 19:55:
And Fallout 3 was not an open-world game. It's time people grew up and realized that an open-world game which forces you through a specific series of checkpoint without any real variability on choice or sequence, is not open at all.

Games like GTA series, Far Cry series, and Bethesda's latest are not open-world games at all. They only let you be somewhere where you want to be, as long as your actions carry no consequence on anything real, i.e. the story.

They're LARPing simulators which from time to time remind you your place as the passive observer, by straitjacketing you into a linear story checkpoint.

The world is open, not the story. Jesus. Stop nitpicking. How does the fact that it's not a completely loose story (which would be incredibly fucking boring--you need some framework, or you don't have a game) make it not fun to play or somehow ruin your enjoyment of the game? I'd argue that it's your attitude that ruins your enjoyment. Holy fucking shit. Learn to smile more. >_<

Agreed. I need *some* direction such as a quest on the other side of the world to give me motivation. Then it's open as to how you get there. The worlds are fun to roam, butBethesda isn't very strong on having a story to tie everything together. That's why the Witcher is owning the universe right now.

72. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2015, 17:45 Vall Forran

I got bored in fo3 about 20 hours in. It just became too much of a slog. The first time going through the sewers facing all kinds of crazy monsters that could end me was thrilling/terrifying. Doing that about 10 more times just started being annoying.

There was one spot in the trailer where they go through a cityscape; I thought, that looks like Rage (Another game I lost interest...though that one only took 3 hours)!

News Comments > Fallout Countdown

25. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 17:38 Vall Forran

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:45:
Amateur hacks like Obsidian shouldn't even be allowed to mod Fallout in their spare time, let alone develop anything.
Besides, if I were a publisher I would have taken notes how Obsidian shat all over publishers during their Kickstarter campaign and I would never give those fuckers any of my business ever again.
Fuck those clowns and let them rip off people on Kickstarter but no more messing with serious games, please. kthx.

I know you're trolling, but that takes the cake as the dumbest thing written today.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans

29. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 17:12 Vall Forran

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:54:
Vall Forran wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:48:
You guys that have so much money...Do you buy stuff? I am at level 19 sitting on about $1.5k. I tend to buy all the recipes/gwent cards I can find.

Yep, I buy any recipes/cards that I run across and still have plenty of money.

Those bandit maces? Sell them to a weaponsmith and you get 8-20 gold for each one of them.

Maybe that's my problem. I tend to just sell stuff whenever it's not red. I haven't pad much attention to whom I'm selling to. It's mostly depressing to see a $400 sword sell for $25.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans

24. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 14:48 Vall Forran

You guys that have so much money...Do you buy stuff? I am at level 19 sitting on about $1.5k. I tend to buy all the recipes/gwent cards I can find.

I'm haven't been broke since the early game (where I could barely afford food), but after my shopping sprees I find myself always between one and two thousand. I also hoard all my ingredients...I can open an alchemy store that would make Walmart envious.

The haggling doesn't really work for me, either. I have axii maxed out and I rarely get more than 1-2% more, which yields an extra 10 coins...or a fucking bandit mace that I have stopped picking up. Those goddamn things are like the brooms of Skyrim. I finally found some saddle bags that increase my weight carrying by 100.

News Comments > WildStar Goes Free-to-Play

14. Re: WildStar Goes Free-to-Play May 28, 2015, 17:56 Vall Forran

Cool. The game never struck me as worthy of $15/month. My wife has been pestering me to find a game to play with her; we can check this out now.

But...the Witcher...is so good. I get irritated when I have to do other things.

News Comments > Overwatch Video

9. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 18:54 Vall Forran

I'm not defending anything...but you guys seem a bit harsh. This seems like a glorified test of a simple map using the classes as they exist. Also known as play testing.

Once the game is done, everyone fucking loses their shit over balancing. Seriously. People are complaining about the Witcher 3! How the fuck can one do that?! It, in my humble opinion, is the best rpg ever made. Even if you squabble at that, which duh, please try to start an argument where it's a bad game.

News Comments > Overwatch Video

3. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 18:20 Vall Forran

I love squad based games. This looks fun. And flashy animations are cool, sir.  

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched

53. Re: The Witcher III Patched May 26, 2015, 17:34 Vall Forran

Verno wrote on May 26, 2015, 16:02:
Just gonna ignore the doofus with an obvious personal axe to grind.

Then build two UI's. This is exactly the reason why windows 8.0 is so poor. Trying to do too much in one thing instead of making two.

Err that's really expensive and often times games barely limp to the finish line as it is. I hear what you're saying but shit happens, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over it, simply wait for them to tweak it a bit.

I play on the pc with the xbone controller and the keyboard for navigating the inventory system. There are two UIs!

The conroller has a menu that shows all of the screens as buttons. Still faster to use the pc hotkeys (though what the fuck is the key for "character"?). I find I'm using the controller more and more. I use the mouse basically to sweep the inventory and "dirty" all the new items I pick up.

Cd Projeckt has knocked this game out of the park. I can't believe how awesome each of the quests are. So different and fully fleshed out.

News Comments > Star Citizen Asset Leak

17. Re: Star Citizen Asset Leak May 25, 2015, 17:11 Vall Forran

siapnar wrote on May 25, 2015, 16:37:
BadIronTree wrote on May 25, 2015, 13:08:
Better video, by someone that knows Cryengine
https://youtu.be/jFr9qqL8-4I
That ship looks like it'd take one rear hit and implode

Pretty much all ships in SC blow up in a few hits. I'm curious where the balance part comes in. I would have so much fun sniping player ships bought for hundreds of dollars.

I doubt they will have a system like Elite; probably just a free respawn dork mechanic.

I am looking forward to the game. Maybe it'll be released in the next five years.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released

92. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 22, 2015, 22:31 Vall Forran

This is weird. Ever since the new drivers and new patch, my game has ~25% chance of crapping out during cutscenes. I just went into the huge city in Vizima (which is fucking AMAZING), but talking to the elf smith guy the game crashed five times in a row.

I tried messing with the nvidia settings and turned off shadowplay. So far, the game hasn't crashed since. Knock on wood.

Just thought I'd mention this if anyone is having the same problem or has actually figured out wtf is going on. I'm running a geforce 980 on a new computer built specifically for this game. Until this point I haven't had many problems. I tend to get distracted by kids/family stuff, so I leave the game on pause for awhile. It's crashed a few times after being on for several hours, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a memory leak. This cutscene crashing thing is new to me though...

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns Seven

14. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 22:39 Vall Forran

Slower than WoW. I don't remember accurately, but I'd guess 6-10 hours?  

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >