Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for August

Real Name August   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Vall Forran
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2009, 04:29
Total Comments 786 (Graduate)
User ID 55306

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video

25. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video Jun 19, 2015, 18:48 Vall Forran

Deus Ex remains one of my favorite games of all time. DX:HR was also amazing. I can't wait! I know it's been a long time, but I'm surprised the game is this far along.

Glad they are keeping with their commitment to clutter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed

28. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed Jun 17, 2015, 20:21 Vall Forran

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 16:12:
The problem with exploring a procedurally generated galaxy is that once you've seen all the templates, you've run out of things to see.

This is the problem Elite ran into. However, I've put about 300 hours into this game. So, it's hitting some happy nerve.

I'd venture Skyrim is similar. It's open world and has guys walking around talking about wounded knees over and over. I was surprised on my replay I beat the game in about 6 hours. I had no desire to do all the side quests again (something broke on my original play through and the main quest would not trigger.)

Elite is trying to figure out a dynamic mission system. It's better, but still not really "fun". The "fun" part is flying in spaceships.

I'm curious how No Man's Sky will deal with this.

Edit: And by "fun", that's related to me. To others it's "boring as fuck". I get that. For me, playing a modern space sim game is amazing, since, there's about zero of them. There's indie ones (evochron) or you can go all Derek Smart...which is to say play a game that looks worse than Freespace, infinitely complicated, and ultimately fucking stupid.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2015, 20:33.

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed

14. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed Jun 17, 2015, 03:22 Vall Forran

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 02:11:
So what's the actual game? Flying around mostly empty solar systems in a mostly empty galaxy flying to mostly empty planets? Sounds boring as fuck. And I guarantee you that this proceedural generation will be nothing more than variations on themes. Show me a randomly generated crystalline planet that's populated with incredible futuristic cities and freaky aliens. No? So what we see are planets that are mostly the same, mostly empty with a few artifacts and alien beasties here and there. Are there missions? Is there crafting? Doesn't appear to be.

Once you get past the ooh ahh of the taking off and landing on planets without load screens there doesn't look to be much to this game at all. Unless they're hiding a complete game that everyone is unaware of - and how likely is that? - the shine is gonna' come off of this real fast. Yeah, I ooh ahh'd with the initial announcemnt trailer, but everything I've seen subsequently leads me to believe this isn't going to be any great shakes.

Hi. It's fun for some of us to play a "space sim". It involves flying around. It may be "boring as fuck" but it is what makes us happy.

Edit: And, honestly, even if this game or others like it fail, it shows a huge interest in space sims. That makes me happy. I empty your half empty piss beer and fill it with good quality stuff and toast to space sim prosperity.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details

10. Re: Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details Jun 17, 2015, 03:13 Vall Forran

I liked this game. Until the last boss. Splatted 10 times. Funny thing...the Witcher came out and then Elite upgraded. Haven't been back since, though I'd like to.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Announced

42. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 16, 2015, 19:46 Vall Forran

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 17:53:
InBlack wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 02:28:
No gameplay. Telling? Probably, because the Witcher3 makes this game look like space putty for toddlers.

Give them some credit in how they announced it now and have no intention to releasing it until the end of next year. That is probably why there is no gameplay footage.

It's "Announced". It's pretty rare to see gameplay at such a stage, especially now, when even the Witcher is getting reamed by people for not living up to it's show-time super-upres-no-one-can-play spectacle.

Would you really want someone holding a pre-alpha version of your game as canon?

Star Citizen has released constant updates, though not at e3 that I've seen (Hmmmmm), but has been shat on by everyone.

I'm not defending anyone, just saying that "What the hell do you do at this point?"

34. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 19:27 Vall Forran

Totally agree with Cutter.  

29. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 18:31 Vall Forran

Yep, Frostbite.  

22. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 17:49 Vall Forran

I saw some internet comments (Totally trustworthy! :\) that basically say this is a parallel game to ME.

I really hope that's not true. It does have a Halo ODST vibe to it, though.

13. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 17:27 Vall Forran

I *LOVE* me some Mass Effect, but wtf was that?

New team, let's add country music and be like Blizzard in Starcraft!

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced

23. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 11, 2015, 21:08 Vall Forran

Graham wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:29:
Dirty Butler wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:24:
Why any gamer wouldn't move to Win 10 and DX12 is beyond me.

I'm going to throw a word at you here. I want you to brace yourself and just try to take it in. It's a big one.

Cost.

I may be wrong, but I thought win10 was free?

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer

6. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 11, 2015, 20:34 Vall Forran

Looks like a fun TF2 type of game. With all the videos, does that mean it's releasing in less than three years?  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M

39. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 19:19 Vall Forran

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 19:10:
harlock wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 18:18:
i fuckin slaughtered that dude, so case closed there..

wondering if i will see Saskia tho

Man Letho was fucking bad ass and he did it all for the School Of The Viper to operate again in Nilfguaard. When you walk up to him at the end of the game and he's throwing Sile De Transevilles crystal up in the air.. pure fucking bad ass.

If those aren't reasons to say "Ahhhh, ok you're forgiven" I don't think you follow the witchers path

My thoughts exactly. At the end, I just was thinking, "I'm *tired*. Can you go left and I'll go right?"

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian

32. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 17:53 Vall Forran

Asmodai wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 17:51:
If nothing else, CJ Parker provides a convenient barometer in that if my opinion is diametrically opposed to his, I'm pretty confident that I'm on the right track...

As for PoE, I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's another one of the games that fell in to me "sorely missing from the standard palette of shovelware that coming out these days". Best of luck to Chris in his future endeavours.

<3

30. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 17:17 Vall Forran

You found Letho!?!!! Holy crap. I let him live in my Witcher 2 playthough, but I don't think I loaded it. I'm not sure if the default is that he's dead...probably is though.

That's one reason for a re-play.

29. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 17:12 Vall Forran

I'm level 27. I keep thinking I'm hitting the endgame and...nope. I even got the "You really need to manual save because shit's about to get real" dialog. The level 22 quest isn't the endgame...it just is a two hour long main-story time. The game is saying, "Dude. Need to craft? Kill monsters? Do random stuff...go now. You can do it later, but it'll be a couple nights."

BUT. I went and did a whole bunch of lower level missions that were gray (ie no xp given on completion), but they were ALL crazy multi-tiered missions with interesting stories. I am at a loss for words at how they are doing this.

The original witcher game used a heavily modified version of the NWN engine. This game has thoroughly demonstrated that Bioware is not dominant anymore. Every aspect of this game is amazing. (Except that huge metal motherfucker that goes apeshit and warps everywhere after you spend a few minutes whittling him down)

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian

18. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 14:17 Vall Forran

Elite doesn't even compare to PoE.

Pillars was fun, but it's a kind of one and done game. The overhead to make it (I would hope) is *really* low; I'd imagine they made quite a good return.

Elite is a completely open sandbox space-sim game. It was released in a bare-bones status. It's still bare-bones. They are slowly adding more layers (of grindy-ness) to it and still charging $60 for it. It's on an mmo-like schedule where they release a huge patch every few months, so of course it would keep cycling upwards on the steam charts.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2015, 14:10 Vall Forran

The Martian is such a great book.

I hope they don't add any stupid hollywood romance options... "I need to get home to see my wife and child!" Got a bit nervous re-watching the trailer; there's a part with him staring at an image of what looks like a wife and daughter. :\

Should be more about him doing everything NASA trains people not to do whilst pondering how Aquaman communicating with whales makes no sense.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay at E3

9. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay at E3 Jun 7, 2015, 23:45 Vall Forran

Ironic that Creston and Nin are the optimistic ones. You other fellas taking the BluesNews cynicism too far?  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 22:23 Vall Forran

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 18:54:
Bryan Cranston? That's clearly a well aged Robert Patrick!

Hahahaha! You're right!

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 22:20 Vall Forran

nimski wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 20:34:
So is everything still a variation of a USS or has that been fixed?

I haven't tried it lately, but USS is only good for the kill pirate missions. And for the past few months, they have been broken. You get, say, 5/8 pirates killed but you run into a USS with a lone guy offering you an alternative to abandon the mission. This causes your 5/8 to drop to 0/8 and I don't think you get credit for any more pirate kills.

Because of this, no one does those stupid missions anymore. That said, there's tons of other ways to make money. The assassination missions work fine and give you $200k plus a huge bounty. So the pirate kill for $10k is kind of a waste of time anyway.

One of the aims of this patch is to "fix" all of the bulletin board missions. The boards now have a lot more variety of missions to do, AND they now take into account your rank. Some require you to have a certain combat rank, others trading, others you must be a "recruit" in federation.

So, long story short, I'm going to say it's fixed...or at least a big step in the right direction.

786 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >